[Drama 2016-2017] Hwarang 화랑

Seiran029

7 hours ago, USAFarmgirl said:

I thought that the Kings love confession and gifts were so cute there is something about him and AR they do have chemistry and it's working well.  But no matter how good they look together she already has someone else in her heart she just doesn't know where to place him.  I think the King is learning a few things about life from AR as well she speaks her mind and I believe even beyond Hwarang she is teaching him valuable lessons which will make him an even better King in the future...

The last scene didn't surprise me as I had a feeling AR wants answers about her real brother but even more I wonder if her saying it out loud making SW (MM) know the act was over.  Was more about her feelings for him and separating him from being family because her feelings towards him are not the brotherly kind. It's a given that he has those same feelings towards her as well.  To bad the Queen doesn't know that from the preview she could have saved herself some time and energy....:phew:

I agree he will learn some valuable things from her...as well as from other hwarangs...so far even he was outside he's been mostly focused on himself...and now he'll learn to move his focus to other people

Both of them deep down feel the need for real loving sibling ...and have a wish to stay as siblings...but since their feelings crossed that line both r aware its not possible and feel sorry...and i think its good AR made a first cut to this agony

As for the queen..wouldn't be a difference even if she knew AR loves MM i think coz she's not the problem here...king is...he doesn't want  to let go of AR...and marry who his mother wants him to

1 hour ago, Yongzura said:

I thought I saw the answer to your question from "The Behind Story of Hwarang".

Tnx chingu...glad you r here :)...will go over clip later

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, maribella said:

Hullo Soompians, 

only 7 or 8 episodes and 48 pages already. All the good looking young men and all with attitudes certainly make a good lively thread.  The rating is not very high which means that is more popular with non-korean sites? 

Anyway, does anyone have any background on MM/SW? I am going to bet that he is some long  lost prince, maybe the King's half brother or milad. KDrama just does not make a king as good looking and sensitive as this one to lose to a lowly street person.

I think there r not enough pages..i think this drama deserves even better...wish more people to come here and topic becomes even more sociable :)

Yeah...seems MM is not just anybody...we'll see what his secret birth background

some of characters in this drama have same feeling the loneliness and emptiness that some can endure all the strunglle but others cant.

queen, she decide to let go her love forever in the past though she tried to asked master ahn to run away with her but in the end she never accept all already over between them since she leave him, the separation leave scar and pain even revenge to both of them that always there in their heart that had erase their happy memories, because master ahn reject her offer she decide to move on and live for her son but the day when the king passed away she decide to protect her son from danger, she forced herself to be strong and hide all the pains though she had people surround her because she cant trust anyone, that made she must endure all the strunggle. insults, and hardship by herself to protect and to build the power to her only hope her son. she pretend though in front of maek jong because she didnt want to show her weakness. she ignore his feeling eventough she knew he need her by his side and her love, because she wanted maek jong can survive by himself then he can become the strong king that no one cant beat him including park clan, she show her love to her son in that way that sometimes people misunderstanding her intent, she walk in that path alone without anyone support and understand her in her side.

master ahn, he decide to let go queen forever since the day they break up then tried to love her wife, but the separation with her wife and son because the queen revenge to him made he feel guilty all this time which for him that the queen' crime because of him that made he also had  contribution to the evident. in the day his wish to met his son gone forever because of queen instruction, his anger and his guilty fill all his heart and mind but he cant share to everyone including ah ro.

maek jong, he grow with affection from his mother before but that over since the day his mother decide to take the throne, everyone look down and mock him because of that, he wanted to choose his path and fate by himself  but he cant choose his path and his will because everything under his mother command. no one can understand and care to his pain and loneliness including his mother, he live all this time being unknown without anyone notice that there's the man name maek jong. he walk alone in the dark that  no one offer the hand to him and care about him. he must figure everything by himself the reason behind all the strunggle he had this time, he cant share the pain and loneliness to anyone because it can bring danger to him though he had pa o whom always by his side. he seems has soft and weak character outside but he really has endurance and power trough all his mind and body.

ban ryu the smart man that always worship rank bone because with that he think he can build his charisma and influence trough everyone below him that he think made he strong enough to do everything he wanted to repay his powerless to help his father that always suffer and bullied because of him. that rank bone gave him pride that made he can forget about his father. no one understand his pain and endurance though he has friends whom follow him all the time, he is the man who seems tough outside but has soft heart inside.

ah ro though she must live with different status with others, being mocked because of her status, must work from head to knee all the time because of debt, feel the emptiness and loneliness because she missed her mother and brother every time, but she can endure all the loneliness because of she has father that always with her and soo yeon whom always be her advisor and hear her complaint all the time.

moo myung though he must live all this time without parents but he was happy with mak moon and woo reuk with him, he can endure the emptiness of parent figure with just the two of them, now with ah ro and master ahn by him side can be a strong reason to live happily with them and endure all the hardship to protect them.

10 hours ago, mz4jun said:

I feel the same way too. I think there is too much hype over PHS. I also started watching this drama for PSJ and still because of him. He is such a talented actor and he needs more recognition and love.

I am glad that I am not the only one. While I think PHS is doing fine/good in the role of Sam Maek Jong, I can't really say he is a standout for me considering the fact that before Hwarang I had watched Park Bogum in Moonlight by the Clouds where he played Crown Prince/King Yi Yeong and felt he was fantastic in his first sageuk role. I would love for more people in this thread to focus/show more appreciation for Park Seo Joon( Sun Woo/Moo Myung), Go Ara ( Ah Ro),  Lee Da In (Soo Yeon) and the other actors/actresses of Hwarang that are doing a Fantastic job. 

@zagigirl  You're right about more than one thing first after thinking about it the Queen in fact wouldn't care she still would capture AR because she wants to control the King. Has her own bride picked out for him.  I can't really figure her out she must have been good at one time I mean for AR's Dad to fall in love with her.  Maybe it was power she chose to grasp onto instead of real love back then.  Then realized her mistake and took it out on AR's Dad & family...

You're also right about this drama why it doesn't have a bigger following.  I don't understand that either why it's ratings are not higher and why this thread isn't larger I understand there are some like myself who are active in more than one thread and lurk also.  Yet still with so much young talent bursting at the seams in this drama.  Not to mention what a great story line I mean really it's funny, romantic, and keeps your interest peaked I just don't get it???  This drama has something for everyone and it's characters are colorful and interesting not to mention the bromance that is only now starting to gel between the Hwarang is just going to get better and better.  All I can say is I am glad I am watching and thankful for those that are here.  Have a great day or night everyone:wub:

i definitely love that the show has a balanced focus on all the hwarang members as well as the friendship and romance. i particularly have to highlight aro and sooyeons friendship, its so cute and its great to see good female friendships in a drama. we also got some insight into how they became friends, and wow its been 12 years. shout out to lee da in, ive never seen her before but she is doing a very good job. im anticipating the princess in the next ep, i wonder how her personality will be, is it kinda of going to be more stern and obedient, or more free spirited, it will be interesting whether or not at the then end the king and her actually do marry for real and fall in love despite being in love with other people and how their dynamic will be, cause i assume they will obviously meet and have interactions. also looking forward to seeing whether ban ryu and sooyeon meet at the festival, how will this meeting go, will it be awkward, cute, etc and whether or not he will go through with sabotaging the performance. will he stop himself or someone else will intentionally or not and what will be the aftermath of whatever way he ends up going. im glad aro knows that he isnt her brother, now we can kick of the romance.

special mention to do ji han, i never saw him before till this drama but im already a fan of his, he is a really good actor and has really good screen presence, im glad he is also getting lots of love and he was such a treat to watch this ep, his starting to get comfortable around the boys and actually enjoying himself but poor him, im sure things are only gonna get harder when loyalty to his friends vs fathers will be tested as well as to love. we all know his step father has a lot of power and what he is capable of, so im scared for him,for the boys and sooyeon since she is outside and not in the hwarang house.

interesting aro's father didnt tell the queen about her being poisoned, but i suppose she messed up his life and this is karma. and im wondering how aro and sun woo's dynamic will change, its starting to get more compicated, reltationships, emotions, politics.  cant wait for next week

1 hour ago, USAFarmgirl said:

@zagigirl  You're right about more than one thing first after thinking about it the Queen in fact wouldn't care she still would capture AR because she wants to control the King. Has her own bride picked out for him.  I can't really figure her out she must have been good at one time I mean for AR's Dad to fall in love with her.  Maybe it was power she chose to grasp onto instead of real love back then.  Then realized her mistake and took it out on AR's Dad & family...

You're also right about this drama why it doesn't have a bigger following.  I don't understand that either why it's ratings are not higher and why this thread isn't larger I understand there are some like myself who are active in more than one thread and lurk also.  Yet still with so much young talent bursting at the seams in this drama.  Not to mention what a great story line I mean really it's funny, romantic, and keeps your interest peaked I just don't get it???  This drama has something for everyone and it's characters are colorful and interesting not to mention the bromance that is only now starting to gel between the Hwarang is just going to get better and better.  All I can say is I am glad I am watching and thankful for those that are here.  Have a great day or night everyone:wub:

You know...i was thinking that after queen captures AR king might give up on her to keep her save and marry that princess after all...i know he'll be brokenhearted but would be mature thing to do...AR isn't interested romantically in him anyway

We didn't see all of queen and AR's father past yet...she did leave him, he got married, she changed her heart and wanted him back, he didn't want to, she got his wife and son out of capital...but why did she left him in the first place is still unknown...might be from selfish reasons but its not sure yet

It is strange right? But this is not only drama with such a destiny...even RD with such high raitings isn't that lively that could be...that r for some dramas with much less quality...well...as you said...we r here and we like it :)

2 hours ago, zagigirl said:

I think there r not enough pages..i think this drama deserves even better...wish more people to come here and topic becomes even more sociable :)

Yeah...seems MM is not just anybody...we'll see what his secret birth background

The writer did a very smart thing :rolleyes:, write about a bunch of young men and get good looking actors.

I notice pop stars are often cast in key roles then they have a big fan base already. 

6 hours ago, Random_Fangurl said:

Some comments on dramabeans said they suspect he's crown prince wolgwang of gaya, the kingdom that's acquired by shilla, aparently there's a gaya musician named ureuk = wooreuk too in real korean history, I just know this, interesting theory

I really like this. How about the old king having  bedded a Gaya princess? and that would make MM a true prince, even a run for the kingship.

Ep 7

201701092145376788822_20170109230732_01_20170109230914440.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-01-09%2Bat%2B10.16.04%2BAM.png

Naver - Herald Pop: 'Hwarang', Go Ara senses that Park Seo Joon is not her real brother

1. [+1,712, -59] The ending gave me goosebumps.. Feels like he's gonna get caught ㅠㅠ Ban Ryu's so funny today ㅋㅋㅋㅋHe seems like a nice person deep down, he will end up with Soo Ho's dongsaeng! Park Hyung Shik is love ♡♡

2. [+1,424, -60] Park Seo Joon ㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜ

3. [+1,168, -40] I worry about waiting until tomorrow but I don't know how I can handle the 6-day wait

4. [+1,113, -31] Hwarang keeps getting better in every episode, I'm eager to see how the story will play out ❤

5. [+347, -9] Daebak, the mom couldn't sing lullabies because she's mute

6. [+319, -20] Everyone's shipping her with Sam Maek Jong but I like Moomyung although he's eventually going to be exposedㅠㅠㅠ

7. [+266, -10] Rooting for Seon Woo/Ji Dwi, Soo Ho/Ban Ryu, Yeo Wool/Han Sung

20170109_1483967133_46409700_1.jpg

Nate - tv Report: 'Hwarang', Park Hyung Shik♥ Go Ara, first kiss... gets into a fist fight with Park Seo Joon 

1. [+111, -6] Shipping these two. Can't wait to see Ban Ryu get nicer, I hope he ends up with Soo Ho's dongsaeng ㅋㅋ

2. [+105, -9] Drama that made me into a Park Hyung Shik fan!

3. [+103, -11] Why is Sam Maek Jong the second lead? ㅠㅠㅠ

4. [+25, -1] Didn't realize Park Hyung Shik was so hot ㅋ His acting got so much better ㅋ

5. [+22, 0] It feels like Park Hyung Shik is the male lead. This is first drama I'm seeing him in and his character is charming

6. [+21, -2] Best drama of the Monday/Tuesday bunch~~~!!

Ep 8

1484056909359257_99_20170110230303.jpg

dfjsa.png

Naver - Xports: 'Hwarang', Go Ara finds out that Park Seo Joon is not her real brother

1. [+1,438, -47] Park Seo Joon's really cool

2. [+1,084, -33] Made my heart flutter when he gave her the flowers nonchalantly ㅜㅜ♡♡

3. [+890, -43] Crazy.. I love it. Is this the official start of their romance?

4. [+650, -33] Hul daebak ㅠㅠㅠㅠ

5. [+360, -12] I got a feeling that Seon Woo is a descendant of the Gaya royal family... Considering that he was secretly raised by Woo Reuk who represents Gaya, it might be revealed later on that he's connected to Kim Yun Shin since everyone is fictional except Sam Maek Jong.. The story's so good knowing that it's from the writer of 'Daejoyoung'... The ratings will go up when Romantic Doctor ends ㅎㅎㅎ

6. [+280, -9] Ah tt's freaking cute seeing the Hwarangs dance ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ I hope they stay in good terms as they are now

7. [+273, -14] Park Seo Joon is a Gaya prince

8. [+229, -3] Hwarang is funnier than a sitcom ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Today's episode is better than yesterday's

201701102302441115_1_99_20170111065203.jpg

fsjakfjsd.png

Naver - Mydaily: "I picked it up on my way"... 'Hwarang', Park Hyung Shik's tsundere love for Go Ara

1. [+754, -25] I'm now a fan of Park Hyung Shik. This damn second lead syndrome

2. [+576, -15] The male leads are making me insane ㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜPark Hyung Shik is cute, Park Seo Joon is cool

3. [+553, -31] The drama is pre-produced, Aro will end up with Seon Woo but I'm still shipping her with Sam Maek Jong

4. [+565, -45] I don't dislike Park Seo Joon but Park Hyung Shik is bursting with charms in this drama ㅎㅎ

5. [+174, -4] Park Hyung Shik breathes life into the character. The emotions in his eyes and his tone make me immersed into him even more. He suits the long hair too. I love Hwarang, why are the ratings so low? ㅜㅜ He's completely different when he's with either Ji So or PaOㅋㅋㅋ

cr http://kkul-jaem.blogspot.sg/

Actually the shower scenes look awkward. With just the legs and chest exposed. It's even worse when they were dancing. 

When you add on that the 6 actors probably wore shorts or something for this scene then it is even more akward in real life.

Watching episode 8. I hope Sun Woo will not go crazy after knowing SMJ is the King, and getting manipulated by Master Young Shil. I am so worry he will go down this path.

I love this scene! Like bickering father and son. Sam Maek Jong talking about Pa Oh not understanding woman, but he is the same too!

SMJ2.jpg

Aro and now, Sun Woo ignores SMJ too. SMJ cursing like an ahjussi.

SMJ.png

Finally, Ah Ro knew he is not her real brother. It's getting harder for these two to act like brother and sister. I really miss Mak Moon :bawling:.

For Park Hyung Shik's storyline ( I don't even know his name here. :sweatingbullets:), I don't know why the Queen wanted to keep him from everyone, but that was very selfish. I hope in the end he would end up in his right position as the King. I really doubt he would get Ah Ro's heart but at least I hope Ah Ro wouldn't hurt him that much. I can't handle that. Park Hyung Shik is just bursting with charm in Hwarang. The scene when he practiced dancing on the riverside was just so cute :heart:

Can't wait for next episode

15 hours ago, zagigirl said:

TW...i liked scene with king & MM before going back into the house...at first king was rude to him but then he noticed that MM is really sad and became concerned...was a nice change...just like when all the guys showed sympathy after MM mentioned his mother anneversary

BTW 2...was funny yesterday :lol:...our guys enjoyed much

The guys attitudes towards each other are slowly changing and they are being comrades. Once the Hwarang become brothers, their parents are not going to have any control over them and they will be loyal to the king.  Becoming a Hwarang is the best move the king could have made.  Whether they know or not, he has them in his pocket already.  When it is revealed that he is the king, they will remember he acted as one of them, not above them.  If you want people to sign on to your project or follow you, they must believe that you have their best interest at heart, understand them and you are one of them.  In real life it is said that he was one of Silla's greatest kings.

I love their second assignment; have fun.  Their dancing was so funny, it lightened the mood and everyone seems to be trying hard to learn the dance steps and play the instruments.  Perhaps this week we all can relax and have fun and wait impatiently for next week.

its always nice to see really positive comments on hwarang, the show really goes from strength to strength each episode and that's always a good thing. i love that comment about a sitcom, it has a great mix of quirky distinct characters and is hilarious to watch. the best way to describe this show is that it has no chill lol, i mean that in a good way. and what's more interesting is that its the older crowd watching the show mainly older women but looks like more guys are starting to watch from ep 8. that's pretty good. i suspect that's why hwarang is fighting well against its com when you consider other dramas that are and have gone up against rating juggernauts being in the 5% or under range, that jump  from 6.9 to 7.6 is telling. im wondering next Tuesday will their be a special since RDTK will end on monday with ep 20. which might be a good thing for hwarang, heres hoping.

I don't care whoever Aro ends up with... As long as Sam Maek Jong and Sun Woo ends up together :wub: The bromance among the Hwarangs in this show is too good, it's funny when they are at each other's throats but I love it when they're getting along together. The only male-female pairing I care about is Ban-Ryu's and Seo Yoon. 

I'm wondering who is Woo Reuk (Moo Myung's old man)!! I feel like he knows EVERYTHING that we don't know or anyone else around him knows of!! why would a famous musician like him live his life as a peasant out side of the capital to raise Moo Myung?!! and only now decided to come back to the capital and even enter the Hwarang where Moo Myung/Sun Woo is living right now?!! what was the reason for his sturtled reaction when he saw Ah Ro?!! it was more like he saw a ghost!! did he see her mother, in her, that she "looks like her" as the Queen mentioned before?!! he knows Abeoji and even the chief of Hwarang and raised Mak Moon as well!! are all these coincidence?!! No Way!! and he was the one who saved Sun Woo and Maek Jong from those gangsters not Maek Jong's bodyguard!! is he Moo Myung/Sun Woo's bodyguard or samething?!! 

NBCONTENTS_70000000026660_20170104_20170104092200_card_image_18_width_w680_Y.jpg?type=w1200

cr: MyLoveKBS

this hat and beard belong to Woo Reuk not Maek Jong's bodyguard who have a wider beard and a hat with different material!! 

I need to know who is this man and who is Moo Myung?!! AJHUSSI TELL ME!! 

41 minutes ago, dani4lane said:

I am going to stop coming here if I see one more post about PHS and Sam Maek Jong!!!! JUST STOP IT PLEASE. I am not even getting why people are gushing over him and quite frankly it's not even warranted. 

chingu, it's natural for everyone to have his prefference and to talk and admire the actor and character he likes/loves the most weither we have the same opinion or not!! I love all my Hwarang Boys and the actors portraying their roles but I LOVE Par Seo Joon and Sun Woo the most!! :wub: and  though I have my disagreemant at some of Maek Jong's actions I still love him and his mistakes are part of his arc, he's a growing character just like Sun Woo, Ban Ryu, Soo Ho, Yeo Wool and Han Sung are!! having posts fangirling over anyone of them as a character or an actor is the right of the poster as long as he/she doesn't disrespect us or any other character/actor in the drama, just like it's my right to fangirl over Park Seo Joon and Sun Woo as I want and no one whould ask me not to do so!! I hope you'll keep sharing your love for the drama and actor(s)/character(s) with us here!! :D 

DRAMA RECAPS

Hwarang: Episode 8

by LollyPip | January 11, 2017 | 27 Comments

Hwarang08-00044a.jpg

Our flower boys are beginning to look like a real group, though a group of exactly what is still up in the air. There’s very little fight training going on so far, but that doesn’t lessen the fun as they find themselves bonding through music, of all things. It’s easy to forget that life-or-death political machinations are occurring right outside, when friendship and romance are the real high stakes inside the Hwarang gates.

28_hwarang1.jpg

EPISODE 8 RECAP

read here: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/01/hwarang-episode-8/

At a time when the Kingdom of Silla is going through a revolutionary breakthrough of sorts with the inception of  an elite Hwarang crammed with several secrets and political vengeance plots are concocted to overthrow the Queen........  And,here I am wondering why can't the damn camera pan towards the front view  in the shower scene... HAHAHA...Wae front angle opsoyo ??? ahaaah-onion-head-emoticon.gif

BN29W8.gif  12044185842.gif  12044185842.gif  

I'm liking the space of the episodes as of now. We know that in the end, the Hwarang will be certainly established in full force with the King  (when SMJ he eventually takes the throne officially) appointing his cabinet ministers and military general from the very core of his Hwarang classmates/friends. Till then, I shall be absolutely enjoying the nuances of the plot, the heartbreaks, the first and last loves, bromance, birth secrets and the whole shenanigans of Silla along with the hilarious 'Sword Dance of the West' ..:phew:

giphy.gif   devil-laugh-leaf-emoticon.gifdevil-laugh-leaf-emoticon.gif

Archived