Add and Subtract Game

Admin

9 hours ago, partyon said:

And @Lmangla sweetie not sure how to interpret the stage but still feeling the beat- lol :D

hahahaha.... you used the right gif. 

actually while growing up, we didn't have much exposure to western music. I didn't even know what grammys were for a long time.

the music scene here in the south was pretty much from the movies and they were running on a different genre altogether. it was a time of fusion between classical + folk inspired music, full orchestra and some synth beats added in.

what is interesting to me is how western instruments such as saxophone, guitar and violin have been adapted that it sounds so different.

the original singers who sang these songs are still respected because these are songs that are very difficult to sing -- a singer will be expected to hit both high and low notes within the same bar and even add trill.

also, because these singers were playback singers -- as in you never saw them in the movie but just heard their voice playing -- they had a long shelf life (some sang for decades) and they didn't have the pressure of performing. only singing. some of these singers were supposed to be so good that they could record a full song in one take the first time and save the producer money. 

even now, most concerts are sit down affairs and people just sing along. so a performance would look pretty much chill like this unplugged version. this is instrumental cover of a really famous song (1994) known for its saxophone interlude. 

you often hear this song being attempted at competitions but it has tripped many participants because it is not easy. this was the original singer, SPB, singing in a tv programme (a competition for singers).

the man had such a glorious voice and the way he could hold a note was so effortlessly beautiful. 

re: @kokodus

+2

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Thirsty 1

14 hours ago, partyon said:

EDIT: The full performance. I don't think it was that bad. :joy: He actually sang live instead of lip syncing. But the reactions you see from the audience in this video are hilarious.

The performance was alright. I even smiled on few occasions.  I did not see anything outrageous but I can`t say I like the outfits. No fuss about it either. :D My favorite part was when he invited Kim Hye Soo on stage.

10 hours ago, kingpin said:

cr. to rightful owners

I can`t believe there are three contract marrige kdramas on the same time.:grimace: I actually can believe it. We used to joke how they get some memo on the new subject tranding and next year everyone has the same plot.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 1

13 hours ago, partyon said:

I know I sound old, but dude, they made so much better music before. There is no variety in music anymore - everything is just pop.

I feel the culprit everywhere is globalization. so music pretty much everywhere sounds the same.

-- rather than taking inspiration and doing their own riff in whatever genre, people do very simple forgettable melodies. there is nothing interesting or complex about these songs musically. 

-- also, the singers themselves are forgettable. they are actually just average in terms of voice and don't have the real musical knowledge or talent.  in my previous post, the singer I mentioned, SPB, was a true legend. he sang over 40,000 songs in 16 languages. he himself didn't know the exact number of songs he sang but his voice was unique and very layered. you could easily recognize any of the songs he sang. he could sing very complex music effortlessly and would convey emotion in his voice. you don't have those kind of singers often. 

-- the song I had shared is famous and still gets people emotional for the lyrics -- it is actually about a toxic relationship where one partner feels unappreciated, unloved and pretty much used and torn. even if you didn't understand the language, many would say that SPB conveys that feeling so well that you can immediately relate to the sadness and despair hidden within the song. so singers don't convey emotion in their voice today. there is neither fun or joy or sadness in their voice. very few singers put in emotional effort. it is just flat and instead the emotion is convey through synthetic instruments (not even live playing).

-- for the most part, the lyrics are super bland and meaningless. they are not timeless in any fashion. in my parents generation, they used to have actual poems as lyrics for songs and very meaningful even now. even the songs I heard, the lyrics were good but there has been a gradual deterioration where the current songs have no meaning at all for the most part. 

like the movie 'music and lyrics' with hugh grant and drew barrymore note, a memorable song is not just about melody or harmony or lyrics or voice. it is about bringing together all these elements. I feel technology has made it too easy that people don't put in the kind of effort needed to make good music -- the stuff that lasts and you can remember. there are few songs here and there that are interesting but for the most part, the previous decades were better and more importantly, unique pretty much anywhere in the world. 

re: @kokodus

+2

• Like 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

14 hours ago, partyon said:

Oh, this is the guy who is the founder and owner of JYP Entertainment - one of the biggest kpop agencies in Korea. His name is JY Park and he has always loved performing himself, not just managing the company and the artists in it.

2PM, TWICE, 2AM, GOT7, Wonder Girls, Miss A, g.o.d., ITZY, Stray Kids, etc. are all artists in his company.

He is actually a super nice guy IRL and he places a lot of emphasis on only taking on trainees with good character. He also speaks English really well!

I remember one interview with taec (2PM), he said that JYP did something unique with his trainees. he actually made them all go through some sort of moral lessons along with their training that actually had pointers about relationships, handling fans and substances. initially, taec and the others thought it was hilarious and found it strange. but in later years, they came to appreciate the foresight of JYP -- they could see idols in other companies struggling with the weight of fame in personal life, slipping into bad relationships, addictions and depression. so JYP was interested in not just launching these groups but also making sure they were prepared for the rigours of stardom mentally as well as emotionally. he even made sure they understood finances and legal stuff so that they have an idea of how not to get ripped off. over the long run, these idols that came out of JYP entertainment seem to be so much more smarter and grounded about handling themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

24 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

I feel technology has made it too easy that people don't put in the kind of effort needed to make good music -

I agree with your whole comment, especially with this. Perhaps this is the reason why it seems the quality of many things in general are lacking. The technology and science discovering are increasing but people are becoming lazy, we won`t put the biggest effort to improve ourselves.

Speaking of music... Yes, the lyrics had meaning. Now with a computer, everyone becoming a composer, putting some rhymes on the music. There are still good songs  but the majority is 'fast food' for music. 

+2

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

18 minutes ago, larus said:

Perhaps this is the reason why it seems the quality of many things in general are lacking. The technology and science discovering are increasing but people are becoming lazy, we won`t put the biggest effort to improve ourselves.

true. I was talking to a relative uncle recently. he said that in his time, people were all so connected. they hardly had telephones and to pass a message, they would send a telegram or a letter. yet people made the effort to get to know one another and actually talk and spend time with one another. the irony is that we have technology today that we can talk to anyone anywhere and yet, we are more emotionally far apart and not as linked as communities. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

15 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

the irony is that we have technology today that we can talk to anyone anywhere and yet, we are more emotionally far apart and not as linked as communities. 

I see often in restaurants groups of teenagers and they were on their smartphones instead of speaking to each other. We were joking that they must text messages to the people on the table. ^_^

+2

• LOL 5
  • Thirsty 1

@Ameera Ali @kingpin Watching the first episode of My Demon now. I don't much care for the visuals, I just hope the story is good. So far the first episode has had several drama tropes already. :unamused:

@sweetroad Not so good news about your oppa now.... :emmm:

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2023/11/i-really-like-you-too-you-know-that-right-lee-sun-gyun-confesses-his-feelings-to-adult-entertainment-establishment-madam

K-netz reactions:

https://netizenbuzz.blogspot.com/2023/11/private-conversations-between-lee-sun.html

If true, seems like he really cheated on his wife then?

• Shocked 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 2
  • Blob 1

@Ameera Ali @kingpin

Continuing now with ep 2 of My Demon. :eats2:

Only scene in ep 1 which made me laugh was this one, where the demon asked this guy what his name was.

image.png?ex=6574aae7&is=656235e7&hm=846

And he answered "Park Bok Gyu".

Demon was like "huh, what?" And dude kept screaming "Bok Gyu! Bok Gyu!" while waving his hurt middle finger around :joy:

image.png?ex=6574aaff&is=656235ff&hm=036

@larus Too many marriage contract dramas airing at the same time :unamused:

- no number -

• LOL 5
  • Thirsty 1

I was actually watching the movie again today, while checking and tweaking that the sub is as close to context as can be to the original story. :)

Well deserved award, especially the acting in the battle scene!

Him teaching Takaihito actor Ryusei Onishi the dance choreo of the movie theme :lol:

His many looks, LOL, before meeting the FL Mio Imada. Probably shot by Koji, hahaha!

• Like 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 2

@kingpin @Ameera Ali @larus @Lmangla @MayanEcho My Demon feels very much outdated... It's like a drama that was produced 10 years ago but with even more tropes. The amount of wrist grabs I've seen... :unamused:

Am not convinced.

EfHr.gif

And am sorry, but the leads are somehow mismatched. Both look good, but they just don't match visually. The ML said he lost 10 kg for this role (when he already lost like 5 kg for Nevertheless and 5 kg for another drama in 2021), so he's looking too thin tbh. She's looking healthy though.

A demon should look strong, but the ML looks like he's gonna fall over in a wind gust. :unamused:

confused panda GIF by Hey Duggee

And don't get me started on the acting...

nope-no.gif

But what really annoys me is the ML's hair. It's just too fluffy.

Man! Am starting to sound like @agenth :loolz:

• LOL 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 3
  • Blob 1

54 minutes ago, partyon said:

A demon should look strong, but the ML looks like he's gonna fall over in a wind gust.

A demon is supposed to look perfect and alluring and invincible... :rolleyes:

How about a movie to help get over the disappointment...? Ehehehe, I think you can guess what movie I'll recommend from my previous post. :lol:

@rocher22 An article on the locations where the movie was filmed ;)

Nikujaga-6934-III.jpgctto

• Like 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

@partyon thanks for the tagged in Kdrama thread:fullofhearts:

1 hour ago, partyon said:

Am not convinced.

and thanks for your honest opinion

6f0c64d0a726b7a46e98ac25b413cdff29cc9e6b

As for me and i quote “Some things are better left unknown, right?”(I just give my final thoughts when the drama is finish):D784017dbbeafd0864cb1c28f4849b55cae7c19e1

----

did you read the netizens comments chingus?

https://www.pannchoa.com/2023/11/instiz-kim-yoojungs-acting-in-my-demon.html

1. The male actor sucks way more than her ....ㅜㅜ nowadays everyone gets to act as long as their faces are good.. 

9. Both of them being leads are such a mismatch...

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1