[Drama 2014] Secret Love Affair 밀회

Guest uburoi

ktomato said:

Great point!!!  I have also wondered if SJ's love for HW will stand the test of time and circumstances.  As we all know,  the next episodes are going to be very difficult for these two.  Junebugg you read my mind.

Yes, it was a storm of passion inside SJ and he pursued it. It would be sad if its just a blow over. Partly, I blame it on narration, for the innumerable questions we harbor. 

I'm afraid that the PDs approach to the story was not done the right way. I'm unclear if they defined the number of episodes before they framed the story. However, the alternate approach would have been wiser. In truth, I felt Hye Won's falling for SJ was quite hurried. I wouldn't have minded a story which only focused on how their relationship came to be and leaving us with hints of the possible outcome. But, now that they have another 10 episodes to fill, we have all the uncalled for complications. I would have loved SLA more, if it was a story between SJ, HW and everything else that they have to give up (insert husband, societal status, fame etc.) 

SJ fell for HW, at first sight - I seem to be having problems with that too, after spending quite some time trying to write a FF. I wish they had worked it out slowly, to make it more credible. Perhaps, then we would all convinced

that SJ wasn't keeling over, under the weight of a possible attraction. 

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I felt the same way that the OTP falling in love with each other like within the 1st 2-3 episodes is kinda rushed and under normal circumstances not so believable. But then I started to think - was the circumstance normal?

If u recall their 1st interaction was that piano audition that apparently was a whole day long and so intensed that nobody ate lunch or dinner. And of course the highlight of that meeting was the orgasmic piano duet the 2 experienced.

Now I am by any definition not musically inclined and not properly trained in music. So I'd be most grateful if those of u (there are at least 2 I think, @shamrockmum and @docster6?) whom are musically trained and talented please enlighten me on this - IS IT REALLY POSSIBLE to have 2 pp playing a duet experience sexual tension and organism by playing piano together??!

Remember that that was one powerful meeting of the 2 that left them with sweet insomnia. It was that overwhelming and potent their first encounter. That can't be normal circumstances right? So maybe their love at first sight is justifiable. You know, they're on some different level from the rest becoz they connected thru music. Us mere mortal will not be able to comprehend.....ever....

You don't have to go far. My own post about their piano playing, glorified the fervor and heat of the moment - see below for the old post. It completely justifies SJ's falling for her, but unable to feel its still the case for Hye Won too.

Playing a complex rhythm such as Schubert or Liszt requires the instrumentalist to be mere extensions of the instrument they are playing, where one gives their intense focus and is also, at utter loss of control, all at the same moment. When all of your senses fuzz out, there is only pristine sensation and if you don't see that as complete submission (read sex, instead) then what else is?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Wow.....that's just too......profound for me. Heehee. I guess we're on different levels too @junebugg ....u obviously know your music stuff. But anyway, I got what u meant. I guess your answer to my question is "Yes, IT IS POSSIBLE!"

HaHaha don't mean to digress but all this discussion has set me off tangent a little. I'm suddenly thinking to myself "Wow, so I suppose some of those kinky love motels (like the one that SJ was checking out) can actually have rooms with pianos!!" Hahaha

Guest ineetha

"Wow, so I suppose some of those kinky love motels (like the one that SJ was checking out) can actually have rooms with pianos!!" Hahaha

Lol..

@ktomato : What are we mere mortals supposed to do with those pianos??????

:P

Guest junebugg

ktomato said:

HaHaha don't mean to digress but all this discussion has set me off tangent a little. I'm suddenly thinking to myself "Wow, so I suppose some of those kinky love motels (like the one that SJ was checking out) can actually have rooms with pianos!!" Hahaha

Guest ineetha

ktomato said:

Yah, what are the odds of a musical genius and a virtuoso stumbling into a love motel? They could have pianos housed in those motels and have ordinary couples go at it, but I suppose the effect would be the opposite - it would be a rhapsody of cacophony at best.

Exactly. . My point. .

Grrrrrr.... X(

@junebugg‌ : How do u put it more beautifully.. Am jealous. . Seriously

"Wow, so I suppose some of those kinky love motels (like the one that SJ was checking out) can actually have rooms with pianos!!" Hahaha

Lol..

@ktomato : What are we mere mortals supposed to do with those pianos??????

:P

Hahaha isn't that obvious @ineetha us being mere mortals. But I'm thinking grand piano with huge shinny (read reflective) surface area. Don't know what u can do on one of those normal pianos tho.

(Hmmm.....I wonder what @brisesis will do with the pianos since she's an immortal. Hahaha)

Guest ineetha

Yah! Yah! You leave my immortal friend @briseis alone.  Briseis has been in those nose bleed mountains in Germany studying German literature without any wifi service around and is now very refined.  Just in time for those live recaps on Monday and Tuesday, we need them.

@docster6 : don't worry .we mortals are just looking up at you guys for getting ideas piano usage. Am sure @briseis‌ will feel left out if we don't invite her to the motel room with piano.

@ktomato‌ : caterpillar... Now .. piano.. you are definitely making us crazy...

:x

My favourite scene is when SJ gets the book after he left his home, his piano behind. And he reads it and it's so sad the way he starts to cry. It feels so real!

I absolutely love the way this actor can cry. And I like his tummy! It's difficult to see a k-drama lead with a little tummy instead of abs, but sitting for many hours in front of a piano doesn't help to a great appearance, so it feels (again) more true to the story.

I bet Yoon Ah In enjoyed getting ready for this part! Lol!

Our caterpillar has a tummy? Like where? (Obviously the mid drift) I mean which episode? The book reading part?

Ok. I'm back on my scavenger hunt for that and @dualnon's comment about SJ's expression....

Guest xianzhongfan

ktomato said:

My favourite scene is when SJ gets the book after he left his home, his piano behind. And he reads it and it's so sad the way he starts to cry. It feels so real! I absolutely love the way this actor can cry. And I like his tummy! It's difficult to see a k-drama lead with a little tummy instead of abs, but sitting for many hours in front of a piano doesn't help to a great appearance, so it feels (again) more true to the story. I bet Yoon Ah In enjoyed getting ready for this part! Lol!

Guest junebugg

xianzhongfan said: ktomato said:

My favourite scene is when SJ gets the book after he left his home, his piano behind. And he reads it and it's so sad the way he starts to cry. It feels so real! I absolutely love the way this actor can cry. And I like his tummy! It's difficult to see a k-drama lead with a little tummy instead of abs, but sitting for many hours in front of a piano doesn't help to a great appearance, so it feels (again) more true to the story. I bet Yoon Ah In enjoyed getting ready for this part! Lol!

having problems with spoiler -- here is the longer version

Longer and more personal explanation:

When I was initially involved with band/orchestra as a high school student, I had zero comprehension of how you could focus to the point where you can't sense anything else, it's just you, or you and the person you are playing with as a duet, and the music. 

I was highly motivated to learn to play the flute.  I went from not playing any instrument to being the 2nd best flutist in our band of way over 100, with at least 10 other flute players. (sorry for the brag, but true)  In less than 9 months.  None of my friends, the other band members or the teacher/bandleader could believe it. I practiced easily 3-5 hours a day, maybe more, every day, plus lessons.  Oh yeah, I am sure you all know why I pursued this. I was in love.  I wanted to be around this certain guy, and band was how it was gonna happen.  No, we never played together as he played a different instrument.  Plus he was a year ahead of me in school, so by the time I got pretty good, he was in college.  But he attended the concerts I played in, and I wanted to shine for him. ...knowing that he would be there listening provided truckloads of incentive and motivation.  I could, by then, intensely focus to the point of "fuzzing out"... so even though I was playing with the rest of the band, it was like it was only me playing for him. Everything else just faded away. It was just us and the music. I can't say for me, it was like an orgasm, although I completely understand the comparison. It was however, an intense and very emotional experience. Back then, I remember wanting to cry after a concert and not knowing why. (maybe that is why the hug scene where HW sounds like she's crying gets to me)  It's difficult to explain, but I hope this helps

@dualnon You wrote "He leaves things to chance rather than take control over his destiny. " Well, SJ  was like that at the beginning, but now he has changed. First, when he fell in love with HW, he pursuited her, even when HW tried to reject him. He never gave up, he said plainly, he wanted her and he was happy when she got jealous. At the end of the 10th episode, he followed HW to the chairman's house, which means, he won't follow HW's order: "she will deal with the dirty things"! SJ realised, Hw has got a lot of problems and he wants to help her. 
@junebugg SJ never got attention or recognition from his teachers and his friends. Remember how people looked down on him when he asked for a paper in order to apply to the music school. Everybody told him, he was dreaming. Only Hw made him realised that he was really good and she encouraged him to have ambition. SJ had to work in order to pay his mother's debt. No one cared for his music's skills. HW is the one who never looked down on him and supported him when he was dealing with his mother's death. I believe, SJ will use his skills and his career to support HW. In the first or second episode, Min told professor Kang that Min Woo is In seo's best weapon and defense. I believe, SJ will be the same for HW.  Therefore SJ has changed, he has turned into a man who loves and wants to keep his lover safe. 
Kang has changed too: his pride is hurt, but he doesn't act like a man... he ran away to home and drank after leaving the concert hall although he knew that his wife was in trouble (corruption, aso). I really despise him and don't pity him because he acts like a coward. He is hurt, but his greed for fame and recognition is bigger than his pride. 
What I really would like to see is YW with her boyfriend meeting with HW and SJ together!! YW would see what real love is and I'm sure, she would get jealous and violent realising that HW has found what YW has been missing the whole time... It would be fun to watch! 

having problems with spoiler -- here is the longer version

Longer and more personal explanation:

When I was initially involved with band/orchestra as a high school student, I had zero comprehension of how you could focus to the point where you can't sense anything else, it's just you, or you and the person you are playing with as a duet, and the music. 

I was highly motivated to learn to play the flute.  I went from not playing any instrument to being the 2nd best flutist in our band of way over 100, with at least 10 other flute players. (sorry for the brag, but true)  In less than 9 months.  None of my friends, the other band members or the teacher/bandleader could believe it. I practiced easily 3-5 hours a day, maybe more, every day, plus lessons.  Oh yeah, I am sure you all know why I pursued this. I was in love.  I wanted to be around this certain guy, and band was how it was gonna happen.  No, we never played together as he played a different instrument.  Plus he was a year ahead of me in school, so by the time I got pretty good, he was in college.  But he attended the concerts I played in, and I wanted to shine for him. ...knowing that he would be there listening provided truckloads of incentive and motivation.  I could, by then, intensely focus to the point of "fuzzing out"... so even though I was playing with the rest of the band, it was like it was only me playing for him. Everything else just faded away. It was just us and the music. I can't say for me, it was like an orgasm, although I completely understand the comparison. It was however, an intense and very emotional experience. Back then, I remember wanting to cry after a concert and not knowing why. (maybe that is why the hug scene where HW sounds like she's crying gets to me)  It's difficult to explain, but I hope this helps

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Wow

Thanks for sharing that @shamrockmum. I hope that guy u were playing for eventually became yrs.

But seriously I really really had no idea that what you've described is even possible. When I watch the orgasmic (I realized earlier on I used "organism" instead of "orgasmn" hahahaha) piano duet in SLA I just accepted that scene as a drama depiction and didn't really question it's plausibility. But now that you've shared your story I have a whole new respect for that segment and am going back again to watch! Thanks!!

The writing for their falling in love is what sold me on this drama. I'll keep it brief The circumstances are uncanny. It was not a face to face meeting, it was at separate time in separate places, unaware of other's presence (her being watched/him being listened to) which let them display freely not only their best personality traits, but exactly those needed to fulfill each others yearning hearts. 
He has the rare opportunity to see her under the music spell, sensually immersed (like him) leading to instant emotional empathy, in the most comfortable loving environment for him. Without affective bond with the environment no connection could be established and nothing could  happen imo. (He also wanted out of an luxurious house to go back to his home to feel warm and cozy and comfortable and inspired)  I bet it was like a dream come true moment and calling her Goddess says it all. Perfect time and place.By a fabulous synchronicity  she found herself unexpectedly to be the recipient of such honest, genuine feelings she never dreamed of but needed most restoring the hope for love. It had a full impact of awakening her sleeping heart in the sweetest possible way. First approach was when she was home drinking a glass of wine and feeling playful, not like her usual self, unintentionally creating the conditions for opening her heart to receive such a precious gift.  Perfect time and place.Their fast falling in love is completely sustained by the screenplay from my point of view
His love is so perfect, unconditional so unaffected by cold and logical reasoning and I don't know if clear thoughts would lessen its quality. With her he is out of hell he previously experienced and I don't think he's willing to go back and cope again with that for merely survival. What I see here is not glorifying adultery, I see the healing two souls by an ennobling love. 
I still have high expectations for the ending :>

ktomato said:

My favourite scene is when SJ gets the book after he left his home, his piano behind. And he reads it and it's so sad the way he starts to cry. It feels so real!

I absolutely love the way this actor can cry. And I like his tummy! It's difficult to see a k-drama lead with a little tummy instead of abs, but sitting for many hours in front of a piano doesn't help to a great appearance, so it feels (again) more true to the story.

I bet Yoon Ah In enjoyed getting ready for this part! Lol!

Our caterpillar has a tummy? Like where? (Obviously the mid drift) I mean which episode? The book reading part?

Ok. I'm back on my scavenger hunt for that and @dualnon's comment about SJ's expression....

you can see his little tummy in the scene when he rejected Min Woo's suggestion to exchange tel numbers. I thought I was the only one who noticed but didn't want to bring it up as otherwise it will break some fans' perfect image of him. But yes I do like how realistic he looks.

You can also see his tummy through ep 8 while he's wearing the GREENE t-shirt, that's a little tight. It reinforce the feeling that this character is a wonderful mixture of a boy (his body, his feelings) and a MAN (his honesty, his assertiveness). Great character!

diamond888 said: The writing for their falling in love is what sold me on this drama. I'll keep it brief The circumstances are uncanny. It was not a face to face meeting, it was at separate time in separate places, unaware of other's presence (her being watched/him being listened to) which let them display freely not only their best personality traits, but exactly those needed to fulfill each others yearning hearts. 
He has the rare opportunity to see her under the music spell, sensually immersed (like him) leading to instant emotional empathy, in the most comfortable loving environment for him. Without affective bond with the environment no connection could be established and nothing could  happen imo. (He also wanted out of an luxurious house to go back to his home to feel warm and cozy and comfortable and inspired)  I bet it was like a dream come true moment and calling her Goddess says it all. Perfect time and place.By a fabulous synchronicity  she found herself unexpectedly to be the recipient of such honest, genuine feelings she never dreamed of but needed most restoring the hope for love. It had a full impact of awakening her sleeping heart in the sweetest possible way. First approach was when she was home drinking a glass of wine and feeling playful, not like her usual self, unintentionally creating the conditions for opening her heart to receive such a precious gift.  Perfect time and place.Their fast falling in love is completely sustained by the screenplay from my point of view
His love is so perfect, unconditional so unaffected by cold and logical reasoning and I don't know if clear thoughts would lessen it's quality. With her he is out of hell he previously experienced and I don't think he's willing to go back and cope again with that for merely survival. What I see here is not glorifying adultery, I see the healing two souls by an ennobling love. 
I still have high expectations for the ending :>
you described perfectly what I felt watching  SJ and HW's falling in love! I do hope, they end up together... even if they are not married because that's not the point! Like the show proved, a marriage is not always a sign of love and respect, but a business! In my eyes, it would be even better if they don't marry because the society expects it... a sign of defiance and provocation! Like I don't care what you think as long as I'm happy and content with my life!