[Drama 2014] Secret Love Affair 밀회

Guest uburoi

after reading about
Frederick Chopin & George Sand www(dot)michael-lunts.co.uk/georgesand.htm
Brahms and Clara Schumann
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2003/apr/26/classicalmusicandopera.artsfeatures2
Ivo Pogorelich and Aliza Kezeradze. http://www.haaretz.com/culture/arts-leisure/playing-himself-to-tears-1.264390

i wonder whats up with all of this famous pianist and their tendencies to fall for older (married) women
so interesting

adding Franz Liszt also had an affair with Marie d'Agoult who was married and 6 year his senior

Guest chandara

@docster6 "I recommend you to read the story of the "Nation's Actress" Choi Jin-Sil, who committed suicide in 2008."

Thank you so much for your post and for the article on Choi Jin-Sil. You really expressed what I think Hye Won is about in the drama. HW is a formidable woman who gave her all to be where she wants to be. She has done efficiently what she has to do to put everything in order or in their place so she can have chance to practice and engage in what she values most her art, her passion for music. But for that she had to endure a lot. How the writer will handle the outcome would be very interesting. Because Hye Won can become another woman who will literally and I mean literally be stoned or she can be the woman who can rise above all her difficulties, her mistakes, face all the condemnation, come out alive, stronger and free

I think think writer nim will make a very strong point through this drama. Like you said it is not simple as getting a divorce, this involves a village, a state, a country, a continent, the world. It is honor and face versus compassion, forgiveness and a big heart.

I am so patiently, impatiently anticipating....

Not sure about her hands. One thing this drama has done so excellently is give us little hints of the backstory but not give us the whole story and leave us in question to her motives. I don't believe we have a full picture of who HW is without fully knowing her family situation or precisely why she gave up playing. Actually that's one thing that confused me after reading @docster6 nice analysis of the Seo-Han family issues. Originally I though all of them--KJ,HW, YW?, Prof Jo--had attended the arts university together but I guess the Chairman and Madame Han created the university? Or is the university completely separate from the foundation? As far as the online chat I wouldn't say HW is being malicious exactly, I'd more characterize it as a reflexive action as she's so used to manipulating everyone around her. HW is closed off. Will she open up entirely to anyone?  I think that's certainly part of the role of SJ's character with regards to HW. Another reason why the family situation will be interesting to see. If she is close to her family or not or maybe they didn't "understand" her like no one in SJ's life could because they are both essentially musical geniuses. Not an easy thing to understand. 

Since I messed up earlier in my analysis, I might get even more wrong this time. But I could add some more what I know about Hye Won. From the two different times that three ladies drank together, they talked about their past, they went to a high school called Arts High School. They are Hye Won, SiJoo (Professor Jo's wife) and Secretary Hwang of Madam Han and Chairman Seo. Young Woo also went there. Young Woo went to the USA for college and Hye Won pretty much begged to go and she was sort of a maid and secretary to Young Woo for all those years. Chairman Seo relied on Hye Won to watch over Young Woo while in college as well. At the after-concert party, one faculty member joked that Young Woo made it hard for Hye Won and that was why she toughened so much. Young Woo retorted that Hye Won caused her to enter psychiatric care (in USA), perhaps Hye Won was too tough on her to get her in line? Hye Won basically owes the Seo family for her opportunity to study abroad. Her hand injury in college (USA) forced to stop playing but she was still a musical genius. After college, Hye Won worked for Chairman Seo and that was how she got involved with Seohan Art Center as the director. Young Woo, being the daughter of Chairman Seo, is the CEO of the Art Center. Madam Han is the director of the Arts Foundation and that side handles the funds coming in and out (some illegally obtained). During one meeting with Chairman Seo, Madam Han actually offered to make a for-profit arm of the foundation to invest in Young Woo's new apparel startup but was told to wait on that idea (Han was only joking any way). So Seon Jae's attractive scholarship was offered through Madam Han because she has the money from the foundation and therefore that brief ceremony. Hye Won has a lot of respect for her musical talent and that was why Madam Han told Seon Jae that he should stick with Hye Won to get famous because she discovers all the up and coming stars, including Ji Min Woo. Min Woo told Seon Jae that Hye Won is her true teacher and studied under her for a long time. After Professor Seo came back from the USA (perhaps graduate studies), Hye Won handed the great student to Professor Jo, rather than her husband Professor Kang and there was where the jealousy came from. HW did that mostly she feels Jo is better and also I think they had feelings for each other for a long time before Jo married SiJoo, HW's high school friend. Professor Jo still calls Hye Won by name (affectionately) and that bothers Kang. SJ asked if HW is closed to Jo and she answered in the affirmative and added she is close to Jo's wife, SiJoo, as well. Judging from the way HW played with SJ, she is still plenty good. SJ complained to Hyung that his goddess got mad at him and she was the one who made the mistakes (Hyung-HW laughed at that remark). It is clear to both HW and SJ that SJ is much better but SJ worships HW regardless. But at last practice for the concerto as a keyboard duo, there is no doubt that HW can

still play, her love affair with SJ has brought her back to her old joy of playing again.

@docster6 what did u say was yr profession again? A professional k-drama

analysist?? Amazing stuff! I enjoyed reading that v much. Thanks.

Guest junebugg

Did the below article get posted here already? 
http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/18054/20140324/yoo-ah-in-i-want-love-affair-to-be-my-best-known-drama.htm

Interesting comment towards the end: In addition Yoo Ah In said on the ending of the drama Love Affair, "I do not thnk much about the ending of the drama. I think the end of the love does not always have to be marriage."

So sad to hear what's happening in Korea now.. the same sad feeling when MH370 went missing.. not knowing anyone onboard but really sad .. (sorry a bit off topic, but since it's the reason no SLA this week, it's quite in topic hehe)
Anyway, thank you people here for giving your insights here about SLA, and the amazing actors. Due to the no new episodes this week, I've been rewatching the episodes (like everyone else here)..  I think I have fallen in love with YAI more hehehe.. and also girl crush on KHA.. aish.. and also starting to like classical music haha..
If any of you interested in other YAI works, maybe you should try the movie Punch, he's really good in it..(now back watching SLA)

I am eagerly anticipating to see mastermind strategist HW at work planning her way out off this spider web that keeps her doing the dirty. This is a person admired by 3 bigwigs and counted daily on her help, she's no bogus. Rather than a running away or selling out information or even a fierce confrontation, I would like to see her handle it with great subtlety, distancing herself little by little from their world, continuing manipulating while breaking them apart, in a "divide et impera" style. They will pretty much destroy themselves out of greed. Possible starting with a warning of SJ's retirement from school and keeping them on a short leash knowing their secrets. SJ's total submission to HW is a great ammunition.All this while carefully handling SJ's feelings. :xAnyway I would like to see things unfold nice and easy and everything falling into the right place.

diamond888 said: I am eagerly anticipating to see mastermind strategist HW at work planning her way out off this spider web that keeps her doing the dirty. This is a person admired by 3 bigwigs and counted daily on her help, she's no bogus. Rather than a running away or selling out information or even a fierce confrontation, I would like to see her handle it with great subtlety, distancing herself little by little from their world, continuing manipulating while breaking them apart, in a "divide et impera" style. They will pretty much destroy themselves out of greed. Possible starting with a warning of SJ's retirement from school and keeping them on a short leash knowing their secrets. SJ's total submission to HW is a great ammunition.All this while carefully handling SJ's feelings. :xAnyway I would like to see things unfold nice and easy and everything falling into the right place.

Guest chandara

diamond888 said: I am eagerly anticipating to see mastermind strategist HW at work planning her way out off this spider web that keeps her doing the dirty. This is a person admired by 3 bigwigs and counted daily on her help, she's no bogus. Rather than a running away or selling out information or even a fierce confrontation, I would like to see her handle it with great subtlety, distancing herself little by little from their world, continuing manipulating while breaking them apart, in a "divide et impera" style. They will pretty much destroy themselves out of greed. Possible starting with a warning of SJ's retirement from school and keeping them on a short leash knowing their secrets. SJ's total submission to HW is a great ammunition.All this while carefully handling SJ's feelings. :xAnyway I would like to see things unfold nice and easy and everything falling into the right place.

Guest ineetha

In the absence of SLA.. I wanted to watch something as mind blowing as this one. . But nothing captured my interest.

But heard KHA in A WIFE'S CREDENTIALS is very good and is by same team of SLA.

Can u guys let me know where I can watch it. I don't find them in both viki and dramafever.com

Guest jreal

ineetha said: In the absence of SLA.. I wanted to watch something as mind blowing as this one. . But nothing captured my interest. But heard KHA in A WIFE'S CREDENTIALS is very good and is by same team of SLA. Can u guys let me know where I can watch it. I don't find them in both viki and dramafever.com

Guest ineetha

ineetha said:

In the absence of SLA.. I wanted to watch something as mind blowing as this one. . But nothing captured my interest.

But heard KHA in A WIFE'S CREDENTIALS is very good and is by same team of SLA.

Can u guys let me know where I can watch it. I don't find them in both viki and dramafever.com

Found it on illegal streaming but it's illegal, so it's not safe to post it here :)

Oops.. That's tempting...

Guest dualnon

It's uncomfortable but also fun to watch SJ with people other than HW and his friends.  He comes off as rather slow.  We know and HW now knows his depth so I forget.  But the scene with the tailor was priceless.  He was so out of his element being measured for a suit by some white guy speaking English.  He tried to tune out but had to hear things like his proportions were good or that HW likes his face.  Poor guy.  Although I do believe he sensed what was behind Mme Han's comments.  Maybe the tailor's too . . .

ineetha said: In the absence of SLA.. I wanted to watch something as mind blowing as this one. . But nothing captured my interest. But heard KHA in A WIFE'S CREDENTIALS is very good and is by same team of SLA. Can u guys let me know where I can watch it. I don't find them in both viki and dramafever.com

Guest ineetha

Few cents about my feel on SLA ending  ,  .. 
Though I root for HW and SJ together , its morally wrong , so they have to suffer consequences for Adultery . So they lose something very important to them as form of redemption . 
Now for HW - she held MONEY ( first priority ) earlier . Now she has SJ and his International career as her topmost priorities . So she might be losing TWO of the 3 .  Coz , she has been deceiving for a long time . So MONEY is gone for sure . So its Either SJ or his Career she has to sacrifice, Since she holds both dear to her.
For SJ - He has only 2 - HW and his Piano . So if he has to redeem for wanting another man's woman , then he has to lose one of them . 
hmm .. What I would want to happen as end is , HW getting liberated and becoming a free spirit and be independent of SJ or his Piano and be self sufficient in her own way . Earlier she wanted MONEY - to fill her void space.Now she needs SJ - to complete herself . So if she comes out of both of them, be independent and learn to be a happy and peaceful person to her own self . That itself is a happy ending . 
HW's marriage , Foundation , her Friendship etc .. are all fiascos and sidelines so far . In reality she is just deeply disturbed wandering spirit with no roots any where except for MUSIC .

As for SJ - Am not sure what he will choose !! Can he live without HW or Piano . I cannot choose one for him .. You guys can choose one for him :-)
Am I making sense here ?? 

Even though most of the characters have shades of gray, I hope the show will not take the easy way out and hastily slap convenient solutions to everything. Not after all the interesting emotions and issues that they have so carefully brought out for us to ponder and reflect on endlessly.

Like what was mentioned in the interview with YAI, not everything has to end properly. Love does not have to end with marriage. Greed does not have to end with retribution. Lessons learnt, memories made, emotional growth for the characters are more important to me.

Although SJ is mature for his age he still has a long way to grow as a person, how will the writer take care of him? Music and HW has become so important to him - what horrible thing will happen if he loses one or both? I really hope the show doesn't go THAT dark because it will be devastating and really wrench the heart out of everyone. Perhaps he will have grown enough to learn that he can survive with loss - in real life, don't we all deal with life changing events and learn to survive?

Will HW really be able to relinquish the power she wields? In some ways I think HW has reached the age where she CAN do this. I'm not sure how SJ figures in her plans though and it will be interesting to see what happens here. I believe she can easily will herself to move on without him but he HAS taken over her heart and soul hasn't he? Will she snap out of it or will she go with it and let it take her to some place better?

Of course rooting for a happy ending for our couple is a tad uncomfortable due to the casualties that will result from it besides the morality issue. Now that they're so far in, whether they stay together or not, the guilt of causing hurt to innocent parties will always be there (they think they can hide it from others but they can never hide it from themselves). In this case, I really hope love conquers all because they will really need love to make it through. And didn't this drama set out to show us that someone who is dead to the world can be woken up and shown something utterly beautiful and wonderful? That there is hope no matter how far we've gone to the dark side?

I cannot imagine the pressure the writer is facing because creating these characters is like bringing up a child and hoping he/she turns out right. And this is witnessed by a whole bunch of us who care for these characters so much...what a burden the writer has! There's no way to satisfy everyone but perhaps giving everyone something to think about right to the very end is good enough.