[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

I agree with a lot of the posters here. I have mixed feelings about this episode.
On the one hand, I am really tired of the recycled plot line of the evil El Temur Clan. It’s getting old and flat. They need to die soon or at least move the plot along. On the other hand, I really like the progression of Ta Hwan and Seung Nyang’s relationship. I think Seung Nyang is realizing her feelings for Ta Hwan especially when faced with the potential loss of him. So, there is movement in their storyline which is a good thing. The only interesting parts in this episode were the interactions between Ta Hwan and Seung Nyang and the Seung Nyang’s fight with Tanashiri and the El Temur henchmen. Golta and Ta Hwan provide good comic relief too. Those are the things that are keeping me attached to this drama at this point and keeping my frustration at the lack plot progression at bay for the moment.
But...I am kind of scared that we are going to be “Dr. Jinned” by the PDnim. I didn’t watch that drama but from what I’ve read, it what was a mess story-wise with gummy babies, and non-sensical scenes, etc. Oh, please don’t go there. Jaebal.
/:)

Guest ravendark

redhazel said: Yeah TH might be patiently waiting for SN but we're getting frustrated and feels getting older while waiting for ohlala [-O< :-w Aargh, it must be because ET and the kids! Nobody would think about ohlala if they're surrounded by demons >:) :-L Go ET!!! Give TH and SN a chance to give Maha few playmates X( O:-)

PeggyM said: She definitely is the character you love to hate.  Such a different character from the quiet sister she played in ISUG.  Did you find out when she is gonna die??? LOL

@petria here's what what I think is the 'logic' behind the mouth to mouth medicine feeding:
* don't read the spoiler if you have a weak stomach * :-&

I think it might be one of the 2:

1. Mouth to mouth feeding is like CPR, you're suppose blow the substance down the person's throat (if done properly of course, I'm not sure if that really does work though?).
  2. After you put the substance in the other person's mouth, you're suppose to keep your mouth on top of the other person's mouth to prevent it from spilling out.  This way it will slowly go down the throat.

Now that wasn't too gross, was it?
petria said: In addition to @pegster`s list:
Where did disappear that beautiful horse when Ta Hwan had to run to save the girl?

that mouth to mouth medicine feed reminds me of Faith's General Choi Young's M to M aspirin first aid to Dr. Yoo Eun Soo..

Well the way I see it is more like TH who's unconciously keep on longing for SY. In any condition, that man just can't live a day without her by his side. Even in his unconcious condition, he can tell that it is SY who's trying to make him swallow the medicine. That's how I see it..

How and why will the TN character be around until the ending???  That makes no sense to me at all, especially since we know SN becomes Empress.  Don't tell me the drama is going to end with the same scene it began with, the coronation??? GEEZ!!

Guest ravendark

pegster said: I'm just re-watching ep33, yes, ep33, not 32, and picked up on some silly stuff.

• How stupid can DK's guards be, why would you stand right on top of the trap to check it?? L-)
  • Did SN really not see that trap hanging above her head?  It wasn't like it was hung really high, or that there were lots of branches and leaves cover it.
  • Why in the world did SN not hop back onto the horse when she saw DS those guards going after here?? Instead she just ran...maybe she didn't want to harm the horse?  :-\"
  • Did TH suddenly turn into a mute??  Why didn't he say something when they were surrounded by ET, clearly he was conscious!
  • Why is it that everytime someone has a bandaged wound, the blood always manages to seep out through the bandage and the clothes at the 'right' time?  I guess they didn't have gauze pads back then. :-??
  • Why didn't they put a bib on TH while trying to feed him the medicine?  He's not consuming it, but there's nothing spilling out of his mouth.
  • Even if El Plague's target wasn't the Emperor, there is no way he should have been spared his life for even attempting to murder an royal consort, and seriously injuring the Emperor.
  • Immediately right at that moment when all the governor's voiced their disbelieve in El Plague's words, ED should have just sentenced him to death, then we'll see what he says.
  • I don't get what the purpose was with getting the governor's to be on TH's side. They're completely useless.  Don't they have their own armies?  I thought that now that they're all allied together they'd be able to join forces to get rid of ET, but no, seems like ET is the only one with the army. 
  • So now I guess they're going to have SN 'think' that WY has changed so to make it easier for her to accept TH... 
I re-watched the preview, I couldn't really tell, it was too dark, but it didn't look like that scene of SN running was pre-filmed from China.  
EDIT: I forgot to mention, why was Golta, PBH and the other eunuchs all just standing there when TH was running to release SN?  Of all those arrows that came at them, only one hit the target? Aish!

Guest ravendark

sarah.lina said: tessieroo said:

sarah.lina

said:

Ok it's incredible, Tanasili is in the trends everywhere, amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's my first time seeing a character after Cheon Song Yi more searched than the words "Empress Ki" or "Empress Ki E33" she's even in the middle of olympic winners--> DAEBAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=D> =D> =D>

i think Nyang feeding the medicine to the emperor is very touching.Nyang is falling in love with TH slowly but surely.I think she realized it looking at the emperor who got heart protecting her again. I think that's why she was so emotional.

I am really very dissapointed that  ET and his clan is back with their evil ways again.i really hope the writers will put an end to that clan.its tiresome already.

Did WY betray Nyang?

The way they keep ET and his clan for this far.. what can be the reason? It is either to slow the story pace to keep them in 50 episodes without the further story continuation (Tal Tal stop Baek An and Tal Tal becomes Prime Minister) or they want to extend this drama into a 70 or 80 episodes? I know all the actor and actress are busy and must follow their next project but hey, in show biz Korean, dig the gold as much as you can when you found the mine.. other projects can wait. or discuss about. between agents.

Guest ravendark

PeggyM said: How and why will the TN character be around until the ending???  That makes no sense to me at all, especially since we know SN becomes Empress.  Don't tell me the drama is going to end with the same scene it began with, the coronation??? GEEZ!!

Guest ravendark

SeGafanlady said: The way they keep ET and his clan for this far.. what can be the reason? It is either to slow the story pace to keep them in 50 episodes without the further story continuation (Tal Tal stop Baek An and Tal Tal becomes Prime Minister) or they want to extend this drama into a 70 or 80 episodes? I know all the actor and actress are busy and must follow their next project but hey, in show biz Korean, dig the gold as much as you can when you found the mine.. other projects can wait. or discuss about. between agents.

People needs to understand that sometimes villains have more buzz than the heroes on the show. Nothing to do with whether Actor A is more popular than Actor B. It's all in the characters. Honestly, I would have loved Tana if they didn't turn her into such a cartoon villain who doesn't even inspire fear and is lacking some depth in writing and characterization.  She was entertaining at the beginning then it turned to hell when she wanted to kill a concubine so she could sleep better at night. It's easy to go around ordering deaths, but she clearly has issues with getting her own hands dirty. She proved that point by taking her sweet time just to shoot that arrow at SN. All she does is hiding behind her father's name (the same with her brothers). If ET wasn't their father, what would she be able to accomplish? Nada, that's what. One of the main reasons i cannot get behind her. She lacks the brains that could make me consider even loving to hate her. I just want her to poof in the thin air. :))
A good example of a somewhat great cartoon villain for me was The Joker played by the late Heath Ledger. That guy was cuckoo in the brain, but he was a nice villain who was actually smart and didn't rely on anyone to get the job done.  I guess the acting helped too. I won't even get into my favorite villain of all time Katherina. I could write essays about her. :))

:-B I have been a silent lurker, reading only enough to help me understand certain parts of Empress Ki...so, forgive me if I am not up to par with everyone...this thread moves so fast that it is difficult for me to remember where I left off, and due to some vision issues, I tend to follow only as much as I am able. That aside, I just wanted to THANK everyone on this thread because this thread really has been the source to fill in the blanks of what is not so apparent in the drama and has helped me enjoy and love this drama even more than I thought I would. (There is no way I would pass up a drama with HJW....I have never been disappointed with any of her works. She is the ULTIMATE Professional...making everyone SHINE.) Just as some have already commented, I also had mixed feelings about this episode 33. I couldn't quite pin point why, or what the reason was for my mixed feelings...I will admit that I decided to be a 'purest' when I decided to watch Empress Ki. Purest in the sense that I abstained from watching till all of about 25 episodes had aired, and I stayed clear away from all threads, recaps and blogs. It was difficult, don't get me wrong, but for someone reason, I wanted to remember why I feel in Love with dramas in the first place. I know it sounds odd. But, when I first started watching dramas, I didn't know who was who when it came to actors and I didn't know what to expect (I watched for the story, for the plot, not for any other reason), but, now after years of watching kdramas, I found myself being too critical and unsatisfied with quite a few of the current dramas that I had watched. And, therefore, my decision to know less, and patiently wait for episodes to air. Not following a thread and waiting patiently for episodes to air worked for me until SN returned to the palace. After SN's return to the palace there was no waiting patiently and there was no trying not to read threads or recaps....ALL I can say is I find Empress Ki amazing. That said, there are no dramas that are flawless. So, it is normal to have moments when you wonder...WHY?... WHAT?...REALLY?!?....Case in point....episode 33....I enjoyed the episode....but....but....and I had to think about the but????....I finally realized what bothered me...what I really didn't like 8-| 8-| 8-| and had to role my eyes 8-| in exasperation and that was Good vs. Evil.....I believe in good vs. evil and I hold dramas accountable in maintaining a balance in good vs. evil (of course, this also depends on a drama's genre and plot), SO in episode ....33.....I would have wanted some or at least ONE of the Venemous cockroaches and rats.... aka ET and his clan plus followers to also end up injured or AT the LEAST ONE of them on the ROAD to a Hellish Eternal Place.....TH injured (life-threatening)....SN cheek sliced running for her life...WY injured (Miraculously not life-threatening).....OK some of ET's soldiers died.... (:| ....I would have wanted The Biggest Cockroach or his love interest The Worm (DS maid) to have been targeted for their last episode....I mean it seems as if the ET clan MIGHT be UNTOUCHABLE (why???!!!) for quite a few more episodes....with 17 episodes left....I am hoping that the PD and Writer will continue to maintain a balance of good winning over evil and that this drama does not fall into the category that many dramas have fallen into and that is having 'the antagonist' become The DRAMA.....Up to NOW, I don't think it is possible, but....never say never .... #-o .....ALL I REALLY KNOW IS THAT IT IS GOING TO BE A LONG, LONG WAIT TILL MONDAY :(( ...'oh, and SN, I wish you would have given Tanasili a DOUBLE DOSE of SMACK DOWN'...she deserved more than a bloody lip for two seconds...Tanasili should have had a FAT Lip and a BLACK eye till the end of episode 33 to remind everyone that she got whopped by SN... ;)

Forgot to add, i think it's ridiculous that not even one from the evil side is dead. I never expected the whole clan to go in one feel swoop, but can they at least have casualties? And no, i don't care if random soldier #12 dies. At least, the brother who barely even speaks gots to go. Come on! :))