Lee Min Ho ♥ 이민호 ♥ ィミンホ ♥ 李敏鎬 Upcoming Drama 2024: Ask the Stars; Pachinko Season 2; Upcoming movie 2025: Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint

CarolynH

@CallieP  sorry, cutting your post for length.

Thanks for your comments.  I obviously did a poor job communicating about what difference I was trying to point to in the realm of generosity, social welfare, etc.

LMH’s generosity, kindness and social responsibility, etc. have been significant and evolve with the times, like mask-wearing -- how quickly he posted saying he should have worn a mask when his photo appeared mask-less early in the pandemic, later becoming the face promoting mask-wearing.  He even found a way some years ago to promote socially conscious, generous qualities among fans through Promiz (meant P not MInoz in earlier post, sloppy proofing).  LMH is a lovely man not only a hot one.  But in DMZ, he was talking about wanting to make films (plural) that would be socially beneficial.  That is really more “advocacy” and as you pointed out (about his time/effort spent on DMZ) takes a lot of one’s time/focus and even becomes a lifestyle, engaged with similarly minded people.. 

It’s difficult to line everything up to make this happen and is one of the reasons many people of great means and fame express their generosity, ethics, good citizenship, etc. through donations and lending their name/face -- which are also very important for society.  Sometimes lending one’s face/name does become advocacy when a person’s time and leadership aspects increase.   I hope he can use films since it sounded like a “heart-wish.”  Unfortunately, the pandemic has put all our plans in deep freeze.  I’ve read on this forum that “Oppa seems/looks lonely.”  If in future LMH is able to get more into advocacy through films, it will impact his personal life.  We’ll all enjoy more personal freedom when the pandemic subsides.

I am sorry to be bringing this up so late but I have been busy and had no time to comment and I felt I needed to say something. I just want to say that I understand the others being upset but I do get what you are trying to say.  He is a force for good and he should use his platform to promote social issues.  He does, he has Promiz.  He spent a year in the DMZ with a documentary, probably with no fees when he could have earned a lot of money doing a series and many of us have never even watched it.  He wears a mask which has been used as a promotion to encourage others to wear masks because LMH does.  However, he also is an entertainer, and he has always been private about his personal life. He is just trying to show what he does sometimes with his everyday life.  He can't be doing good all the time and has to have some personal downtime and fun with some friends. We are also dying to know how he is when he goes out and shops. Finally, he is sharing it with us so we should not look a gift horse in the mouth and just enjoy it.  I bet Leonardo De Caprio who spent some time promoting climate change, spends a lot of time doing other stuff though.  I am sure in his YouTube channel, he would have something about Promiz and other charities he supports in the future. He donates quietly without announcing it  publicly. He probably does not like preaching to others but does by example. Thus you and the others have your point of views and that is fair.

I have conflicting feelings too in this pandemic.  Not about LMH, he is a joy and distraction for me.  I am happy to be able to work at home and feel be safe, I feel for those hospital and essential workers who put their lives on the line when the pandemic rages over here in the US.  I don't complain that I have to stay home or can't do certain things or enjoy life fully and have to cancel or put on hold many plans.  I sometimes feel frustrated that my friends who are lucky like me sigh about it or have to only do happy things to distract themselves from their "suffering" of having to stay home and not do fun things.  When we get together via social media, they only want to talk about happy things and food, avoid talking about things that really matter.  They need to avoid unpleasantness, so they only share funny jokes about orange man. I can't discuss substantive issues and it is frustrating.  So I get what you were trying to impart.

• Like 5
  • Wiggle 1

With WhatsApp users using photos of Korean artists as their profile, this teacher was surprised to see Lee Min Ho submit an assignment

While WhatsApp users use a self-portrait as their profile photo, some others use an artist's profile photo.

One student used a photo of South Korean actor Lee Min Ho for their WhatsApp profile.

This surprised one of their teachers, because he did not expect that a South Korean artist would send him an assignment. He then sent a message advising students to use their own photos as profile, as he was surprised to see Lee Min Ho submit an assignment. The post of a screenshot of that message went viral online.

730x480-img-67635-foto-profil-artis-kore

https://www.hitekno.com/internet/2020/11/13/164500/pakai-foto-artis-korea-di-whatsapp-guru-ini-kaget-lee-min-ho-kumpul-tugas

• LOL 10

21 minutes ago, syntyche said:

With WhatsApp users using photos of Korean artists as their profile, this teacher was surprised to see Lee Min Ho submit an assignment

While WhatsApp users use a self-portrait as their profile photo, some others use an artist's profile photo.

One student used a photo of South Korean actor Lee Min Ho for their WhatsApp profile.

This surprised one of their teachers, because he did not expect that a South Korean artist would send him an assignment. He then sent a message advising students to use their own photos as profile, as he was surprised to see Lee Min Ho submit an assignment. The post of a screenshot of that message went viral online.

Haha @syntyche you make me LOLLL happily this morning ...   Pak Muslimin (the teacher) could be a fan of LMH ! :D  He said he got a shock. :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

2 hours ago, syntyche said:

@Min2206 Teacher definitely knows who LMH is! lol. A nice surprise at that. 

Btw, The King is #1 so far in the The Best Korean Drama of 2020 ranking. 

Vote link here: http://www.koreandrama.org/the-best-korean-drama-of-2020/

So @syntyche  is this voting still ongoing?

I have been reading updates that TKEM is well loved and recognised here and there and above here indicating that it is still No. 1 so far in the above poll, why is it that certain parties are bringing TKEM down?

Imej mungkin mengandungi: 1 orang, rakaman dekat

cr flyminho

Surprisingly, I am on my 3rd re-watch of the drama, after Faith.  Now approaching Epi 7.   I do admit there are scenes that I skipped, but I realised that I have to watch them in order to understand what transpired for there are certain notes or hints that were played, for me to grasp the storyline (though the King might not be in the scene).   Yes, I know , I too want him to be in every frame.  This drama has so many characters, some playing dual roles, that they tried to fit into 16 episodes.   It was confusing to me at first, during the first few episodes.  Much thanks to our super analysts, detectives and narrators in the TKEM thread, I could then follow through.   
Overall, I find it a great drama and enjoyed it, hence it's worth a re-watch.

giphy.gif

The King

• Like 9

@kdyesI would say that LMH has been very smart to utilize his vlogs the way he has.  In the U.S., celebrities are often told to just “shut up and sing”, and what they have to say is invalidated.  If LMH came charging out the gate with his blogs aiming to fight racial injustice, saving the rainforest, solving climate change...he would be told to  stay in his lane and go back to looking pretty. 

By welcoming fans into his every day life, he’s increasing viewership and gently bringing attention to his vlog.  He’s capturing the human aspect of himself, making him seem normal and humanized despite his superhuman status in society.  He’s telling viewers that he’s like us, that he wants us in his life, that he’s a friend of ours.  First and foremost, he’s using social media to reach out to fans and to give a little bit of himself to us. 

Snag their attention - and then come full force with a deep cause.  Then you have everyone’s attention.  And instead of the hot guy in the ivory tower who is just talking at us...our friend LMH is speaking to us like family.  We want to listen, and we’re willing to listen. 

His social media is really quite deep as well, compared to other stars.  Most kpop stars and a lot of actors just use their IG for self promotions. Advertising this album, or new Diamond endorsement, or #ad this #ad that...energy bars, laundry detergent, their own magazines...it’s a fake and never ending display.  But LMH’s always stepped around that by sharing real snippets of his life.

And let’s always remember too - social media is crafted by their teams.  There’s always a reason for something. 

• Like 8
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 3

17 hours ago, Min2206 said:

So @syntyche  is this voting still ongoing?

I have been reading updates that TKEM is well loved and recognised here and there and above here indicating that it is still No. 1 so far in the above poll, why is it that certain parties are bringing TKEM down?

Surprisingly, I am on my 3rd re-watch of the drama, after Faith.  Now approaching Epi 7.   I do admit there are scenes that I skipped, but I realised that I have to watch them in order to understand what transpired for there are certain notes or hints that were played, for me to grasp the storyline (though the King might not be in the scene).   Yes, I know , I too want him to be in every frame.  This drama has so many characters, some playing dual roles, that they tried to fit into 16 episodes.   It was confusing to me at first, during the first few episodes.  Much thanks to our super analysts, detectives and narrators in the TKEM thread, I could then follow through.   

@Min2206, the voting for the nomination round is up to 2020-Nov-30, 23:59KST. Following in December is the month-long final round.

You do need to watch the scenes or episodes again to understand and appreciate the story of TKEM. A discussion (like in the TKEM thread) helps a lot, too, especially with details that you might have missed. You might even pick up some new perspective, or learn a new thing or two. 

I believe TKEM is a trailblazer in the sense that it broke the usual romcom theme of kdramas. It took on the grandiose theme that we usually see in Hollywood. But alas, the taste of k-audience clamors for something else. 

There's a recent article (I posted it in the Pachinko thread) about the shift of drama production from TV to OTT (digital), due to the significant drop in the ratings of dramas produced by the local broadcasting stations. We've been arguing when TKEM was airing that there really is a shift of viewing patterns from terrestrial/TV to OTT, and that the ratings only reflect the terrestrial views. And so we were right all along. Unfortunately, TKEM is also a trailblazer in the sense that it first experienced that shift in viewing patterns and hence the drop in ratings. Yes, just like any other show, it has its flaws, but it was magnified, and blamed solely for the ratings. With some widening of perspective and people will realize that viewer behavior in this day and age is changing, people opted to watch TKEM on the OTT Netflix where it actually ranked high in several countries, and that it won't be a hit globally if viewers didn't see past its flaws. 

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1

4 hours ago, Min2206 said:

1 hour ago, syntyche said:

@Min2206, the voting for the nomination round is up to 2020-Nov-30, 23:59KST. Following in December is the month-long final round.

You do need to watch the scenes or episodes again to understand and appreciate the story of TKEM. A discussion (like in the TKEM thread) helps a lot, too, especially with details that you might have missed. You might even pick up some new perspective, or learn a new thing or two. 

I believe TKEM is a trailblazer in the sense that it broke the usual romcom theme of kdramas. It took on the grandiose theme that we usually see in Hollywood. But alas, the taste of k-audience clamors for something else. 

There's a recent article (I posted it in the Pachinko thread) about the shift of drama production from TV to OTT (digital), due to the significant drop in the ratings of dramas produced by the local broadcasting stations. We've been arguing when TKEM was airing that there really is a shift of viewing patterns from terrestrial/TV to OTT, and that the ratings only reflect the terrestrial views. And so we were right all along. Unfortunately, TKEM is also a trailblazer in the sense that it first experienced that shift in viewing patterns and hence the drop in ratings. Yes, just like any other show, it has its flaws, but it was magnified, and blamed solely for the ratings. Some widening of perspective and people will realize that viewer behavior in this day and age is changing, and TKEM won't be a hit globally if viewers didn't see past its flaws. 

I agree with what @syntychehad described here. TKEM is not the usual fantasy or rom-com K-drama, it is a thriller sci-fi fantasy romance drama with a quite complicated theme which is uncommon to the K-audience taste, hence it is more appealing to the international audience. Lately K-drama community had been talking that Korean audiences now are more drawn to slice of life type of dramas with realistic themes.

Just to add,  I observed that TKEM also received certain bias and unfair treatments by K-medias and K-entertainment communities, few said because it's a grand project with such big budget and big names which generated jealousy and became target for hate comments, I read somewhere, people were already waiting to criticise KES and LMH before TKEM even started to air. 

The bias and hate toward TKEM is kinda obvious also from the recent entertainment award nomination announcement. A certain drama with low rating which had controversial theme and was almost cancelled was nominated while TKEM didn't received any nomination at all. K-entertainment awards are getting more political nowadays. Regardless, it is a fact that TKEM has a cult fandom, it is an international hit and is loved by many, no one can deny this.

As a LMH fan, I feel that it is not important for him to get these kind of K-entertainment awards anymore, Pachinko as his first grand Hollywood project definitely proves LMH's significance and power as one of the greatest Korean actors in this generation, period. :) 

• Like 6
  • Awesome 3
  • Insightful 1

4 hours ago, syntyche said:

There's a recent article (I posted it in the Pachinko thread) about the shift of drama production from TV to OTT (digital), due to the significant drop in the ratings of dramas produced by the local broadcasting stations. We've been arguing when TKEM was airing that there really is a shift of viewing patterns from terrestrial/TV to OTT, and that the ratings only reflect the terrestrial views. And so we were right all along. Unfortunately, TKEM is also a trailblazer in the sense that it first experienced that shift in viewing patterns and hence the drop in ratings. Yes, just like any other show, it has its flaws, but it was magnified, and blamed solely for the ratings. Some widening of perspective and people will realize that viewer behavior in this day and age is changing, and TKEM won't be a hit globally if viewers didn't see past its flaws. 

Had to google the meaning of trailblazer.  :D  Now I learn a new word, thanks to you @syntyche  Read your article yesterday " Web trends over broadcasting...Fewer TV dramas and more OTT dramas " -   You summed it well here on the shift.  Felt bad about the broadcasters, wondering which one can sustain in the long run.   Even at home here, we have stopped watching the local TVs.  Glad LMH and team foresaw the change, took the risk and ventured into that collaboration.

Didn't know there was so much drama even BEFORE the production started.  I mean the bashing of the famous writer KES seen favouring our hallyu star well-loved LMH.   No wonder LMH was quiet about it, no post-TKEM interviews whatsoever.  Noted on the K-audience taste, and @JoannaID thanks for sharing your views on the award, which I am with you.    I know it's not the AAA one though in there, there were some "big CAP moments".  

I have faith in LMH.  The mere mention of his name enough to sparks interest in many, so is the man himself with natural talent and great social skills.  

giphy.gif

• Like 7
  • Love 1