Soompi Forums Awards: Best K-Dramas (2022) - Poll #1

partyon

Soompi Forums Awards: Best K-Dramas of 2022  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which thriller / suspense / fantasy / mystery dramas were your favorite in 2022? (choose max 5)

• Adamas
    • Grid
    • The Sound of Magic
    • The Golden Spoon
    • Alchemy of Souls (season 1)
    • Bulgasal: Immortal Souls
    • Tomorrow
    • Big Mouth
    • The Good Detective (season 2)
    • Again My Life
    • Through the Darkness
    • Tracer 1 and/or 2
    • Blind
    • Artificial City
    • The First Responders
    • Doctor Lawyer
    • Military Prosecutor Doberman
    • Kill Heel
    • Insider
    • Something else / Didn't watch any dramas of this genre
  2. 2. Which rom-coms / comedies / makjang dramas were your favorite in 2022? (choose max 5)

• The Law Cafe
    • Jinxed at First
    • One Dollar Lawyer
    • Gaus Electronics
    • Café Minamdang
    • Show Window: The Queen's House
    • Crazy Love
    • Moonshine
    • Uncle
    • Ghost Doctor
    • Our Beloved Summer
    • Love ft. Marriage and Divorce (season 3)
    • Yumi's Cells (season 2)
    • Extraordinary Attorney Woo
    • Eve
    • A Business Proposal
    • Reborn Rich
    • Forecasting Love and Weather
    • Love in Contract
  3. 3. Which romances / dramas / melodramas were your favorite in 2022? (choose max 5)

• Now, We Are Breaking Up
    • Pachinko
    • Curtain Call
    • Twenty-Five Twenty-One
    • Snowdrop
    • Why Her?
    • Thirty-Nine
    • Our Blues
    • The Red Sleeve
    • My Liberation Notes
    • Bloody Heart
    • The Glory (season 1)
    • Green Mothers' Club
    • If You Wish Upon Me
    • Little Women
    • Under the Queen's Umbrella
    • The King of Tears, Lee Bangwon
    • Rookie Cops
    • Poong, the Joseon Psychiatrist

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/18/2023 at 05:00 PM

4 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

That actually works too, but maybe not ao much for serious dramas?

Maybe. The safe bet is when drama is half-serious, half-comedy, so there can be lower expectation on pulling the more dramatic acting (not sure if it correct term, though), rather than situational humor that gives actors/actress a bit of relief. If that makes sense. 

11 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I watch mostly Cdramas wherein the censors authority has a say to the number of episodes approved for airing which can change the flow of story especially near the end. 

That break in a story flow is quite noticable in cdramas, probably due to their length, but also due to reasons you mentioned.

The ending it somewhat cursed in any dramas: cdramas, k-dramas, I think jdramas are a little better in that department (they're shorter and more structured, if I'm trying to guess "why"). Don't know how it in other countries.  

15 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

bad acting most of the time,

I think I drop drama from that reason only when there is a big gap between acting skills for actors/actress. Like one is really pulling their part, and the other is missing something, didn't really catching up to the similar level, therefore it doesn't feel like watching a story unfolding, rather just a show to entertain viewers. 

19 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

one of the epic stories to watch if one wanna get to know Cdramas. :)

Which one are you talking about, if I might ask? 

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 4

27 minutes ago, Idylla Kaizoku said:

That break in a story flow is quite noticable in cdramas, probably due to their length, but also due to reasons you mentioned.

Fortunately nowadays it's usually set to max 40eps. Some Cdramas before can be upwards of 60 at around 45min per ep.

29 minutes ago, Idylla Kaizoku said:

The ending it somewhat cursed in any dramas: cdramas, k-dramas, I think jdramas are a little better in that department (they're shorter and more structured, if I'm trying to guess "why"). Don't know how it in other countries.  

I dont mind bad, hanging, or open endings if it makes sense for the story. Sometimes there would be more seasons if the first season was profitable. :D

32 minutes ago, Idylla Kaizoku said:

I think I drop drama from that reason only when there is a big gap between acting skills for actors/actress. Like one is really pulling their part, and the other is missing something, didn't really catching up to the similar level, therefore it doesn't feel like watching a story unfolding, rather just a show to entertain viewers. 

Sigh, I very much dislike miscasts for major roles. They're tolerable for small parts, but not when they can't deliver. It's really painful to watch.

37 minutes ago, Idylla Kaizoku said:

Which one are you talking about, if I might ask? 

That will be Ten Miles of Peach Blossom. I binged watch the 58 episodes within 3 days the first time I watched it. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Blob 5

Some Cdramas before can be upwards of 60 at around 45min per ep.

That's definitely too long for some plotlines that could be told in around 20-25 episodes, if they stretch it. K-dramas sometimes are also too long (lose the pace) while having "only" 16 episodes. 

Sometimes there would be more seasons if the first season was profitable. :D

Yeah, some could have one, or two more seasons, that's true 

:transforms:

That will be Ten Miles of Peach Blossom. I binged watch the 58 episodes within 3 days the first time I watched it. :lol:

Respect. 

:fear:

But they have a good promoting materials. I like cdramas' a fairy tail (kind of) mood, but they are actually too long for me most of the times... 

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 4

7 minutes ago, Idylla Kaizoku said:

Respect

LOL, I had all the time to watch during the lockdown 2 years ago.

9 minutes ago, Idylla Kaizoku said:

But they have a good promoting materials. I like cdramas' a fairy tail (kind of) mood, but they are actually too long for me most of the times... 

I thought at first that TMOPB was long too, but in the end, good ending by the way, I was wishing for more eps. Try to see when you can! :) The leads, especially the ML, is very good.

• Like 1
  • Blob 5

6 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

LOL, I had all the time to watch during the lockdown 2 years ago.

Uh, yeah, that time was... specific. Still my eyes would not like me very much after such a bing watch

:fiercebunny:

9 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

The leads, especially the ML, is very good.

Thanks, I'll try it sometime in this year :)

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 4

16 hours ago, angela0612 said:

@partyonThanks for tagging!:)

My days these days are really busy, having moved back to our newly renovated house.;) So, not really have time to watch any new dramas. Accidentally, I discovered this drama, "Rookie Cops" in Disney+ and found it really interesting. Can't believe I'm in episode 12 already haha.

With regard to category no. 1, was able to watch SJS's drama only so, it's my choice. But, to be honest, I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed his other dramas before. Hopefully, he gets to do something different for a change. I know he's a really good actor.

@angela0612  for me, it's a good drama not because I'm bias for Kang Daniel - hahaha - I wasn't ready to expect anything from this since I knew he's a newcomer in acting and it was his debut drama. Honestly, the sole reason I wanted to watch was him. But, as I finished this, a sudden realization hit me, and I was left with awe. It’s one of Disney+ first original Korean production. Kang Daniel has a dedicated fan base in Korea. He manages to have varied expressions in the drama yet he does not overact. Kang Daniel might be new in the acting industry but he did do justice to the character. I was impressed. I do like the plot as well. It's just that they did not go further into the ML’s family background. You're on the 12th EP, ‘ Rookie Cops’ is a sixteen-episode streaming series. Hope you continue watching it. This drama was exciting from start to finish.   :7555_attack:

Sigh..... that you didn't enjoy SJS's latest drama. Medical genre is always close to my heart. For me, this drama is a bit different because a doctor who became a lawyer and then worked as both was something new.   :Megathanks:

• Like 3
  • Blob 4

With a dismal drama viewing track record, I can only vote for one drama that I finished and enjoyed :sweatingbullets: Watching and loving Missing:The Other Side S2, but it doesn't count since it is still ongoing. With some dramas I'm interested in slated to air this year (Kin Eunhee's "The Devil" being one of them), perhaps I will be able to vote more next year :blink:

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

11 hours ago, liddi said:

With a dismal drama viewing track record, I can only vote for one drama that I finished and enjoyed 

Chingu, I know right? I started quite a few dramas but dropped most of them. :grimace: Even with the 10 dramas I finished, I can't say I really loved them. I voted for example for Tomorrow, even though I kinda hated the drama - but Lee Soo Hyuk oppa was just too charismatic...

:sweet:

Big Mouth as well. I voted for it, but the last part of the drama was abysmal. I only voted because it had my favorite boy Kwakkie in it, who did a good job but was totally underutilized. :bawling:

How many dramas did you watch in total?

4 hours ago, africandramalover said:

Lol. Completed 78, dropped 28 others... I haven't slept much since I discovered dramas 15 years ago.:D

Chingu! :scream:

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

That's more than @Sleepy Owl and @larus !

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

21 hours ago, liddi said:

With a dismal drama viewing track record, I can only vote for one drama that I finished and enjoyed :sweatingbullets: Watching and loving Missing:The Other Side S2, but it doesn't count since it is still ongoing. With some dramas I'm interested in slated to air this year (Kin Eunhee's "The Devil" being one of them), perhaps I will be able to vote more next year :blink:

@liddi  I am also watching this & same here - enjoying it.   :heart:

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Blob 2

On 1/9/2023 at 5:13 PM, larus said:

I voted for all the dramas that I watched. I liked them. Total of 6. :o The least number of kdramas since I`ve started watching them.

notstonks-7d82ebccce6d4960b42b2bc6c16704

Only 6? Nah, surely there is more (I already saw the 12 dramas post of yours) :loolz:

On 1/9/2023 at 9:04 PM, Idylla Kaizoku said:

The character started like a strong option with a good background and interesting concept, but turned out to be stupidly naive (like "I want revenge and try the undercover, but will tell everyone about it and still be surprised that someone actually knew"), or just boring (didn't get further than 5 episode, so can't tell how happened next).

Well, that prosecutor twin was pretty hot headed and too stupid. The reporter lady with him was too stupid too. I expected more from him, and so did from the author dude who was actually smart, but then again the writing was too messy. Dropped the drama around the same episode as you did too.

On 1/9/2023 at 9:32 PM, madmad min said:

oo This year was damn good for Kdramas, very new genres and hard to choose the best one.

Started My Year With...

2521 -------I liked it despite the ending, was very fresh take on modern touch of Reply Series lol

Pachinko and Our Blues.....Wonderful Shows

Then it was Yumis Cells 2---Blood PRESSURE Raising show

Then it was Little Women that blew my mind off , it should have been included in mystery genre too imho.

I was late to Business Proposal Party but its a pretty good romcom with great chemistry and hot hot SML lol.

I watched 2521, Little Women and Business Proposal from your list here, and liked them. Little Women was annoying at times, too annoying, but overall it was fine for me. 

I was purposely late to Business Proposal party, waited for it to end to make sure that this drama was worth watching. I have started to do this with the rom-com these days, if I find them interesting, I wait for them to end, check the reviews and only then go for it. I did the same with Our Beloved Summer. :piggydance:

On 1/10/2023 at 12:17 AM, larus said:

I checked My DramaList page and they say I watched 23 dramas this year. OMG. Definetly, my memory is bad.

I watched 12 kdramas from 2022 and the rest are definetly older dramas. :D

maxresdefault.jpg

Went up from 6 to 23!!! :fear:

On 1/10/2023 at 3:29 AM, partyon said:

And here I was under the impression that you were in a drama slump :D

I only completed 10 dramas that ended in 2022 - that's less than your 12 in a drama slump  year. :blink:

Here I was thinking that I had a pretty good year!

How many dramas did you complete in 2020 - just out of curiosity? I believe that you may have watched quite a few dramas back then?

Okay, so since you guys have been counting dramas you watched in 2022? Surely I have watched more than both of you, both the ones which aired in 2022, and combining them with the ones I re-watched or old dramas I watched from my watchlist. 

So I watched around 20 dramas that aired in 2022. Now these are the ones which I completed. There are some like "Ghost Doctor", "Good Job", "King of Pigs" and maybe 1-2 more (will have to try to remember) that have been paused indefinitely. 

But again, I watched lesser dramas this year, than I did last. And checking the number of dramas I watched in 2020, I believe with each new year my number of dramas watched has dropped. Let's see how many I will be watching this year :sweats:

• Like 2
  • Blob 3

1 hour ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Went up from 6 to 23!!!

Yeap.... 6 from the list poll.

Another poll. :D

The Most Memorable Characters of 2022

I voted three of them from three dramas I watched.

Which rom-coms / comedies / makjang dramas were your favorite in 2022

None. I never watch anything from that list. I never watch makjang but I am trying to remeber if I watch a rom com, other dramas from that list. Maybe Dr`s Park Clinic (it is comedy), Today`s Webton (is a rom com?)

The Most 'Too Stupid to Live' Characters of 2022

On the list I saw My Liberation Notes but I did not vote for Lee El`s character because I like her.

• Like 2
  • Blob 3

Here is the list of my favorite dramas in 2022! :glasses: (in no particular order btw)

Thrillers / Suspense / Fantasy / Mystery

a) The Sound of Magic

Not my favorite drama, but it featured my Ji Chang Wook oppa! :love: Even though he looked like a serial killer. :joy: Can't believe @agenth abandoned oppa.

:crybaby:

b) Tomorrow

Not the best drama out there, but cannot be missed due to Lee Soo Hyuk oppa! Grim Reaper on a catwalk? Check. :love:

c) Big Mouth

Really struggled while deciding whether I should vote for this drama or not. The FL was TSTL and the ending sucked. But I did vote for this drama because of my boy Kwakkie and for the phenomenal performance of Lee Jong Suk. Poor Kwakkie was underutilized though. :bawling:

Big-Mouth_Kwak-Dong-Yoon4.jpg

d) Blind

Am glad to see that psychological thrillers are becoming more popular - it's my favorite genre, even though I am still waiting for dramas as good as Nobody Knows and Children of Nobody. This drama was very good, though, and it had a lot of great twists.

Rom-com / comedies / makjangs

e) Gaus Electronics

My favorite drama of the year! Kwakkie finally got to shine as ML. This drama was as fun as Welcome to Waikiki, but it also managed to do the original webtoon justice. The adaptation was perfect! I also want to get to work like this. :joy:

8bc0b67bc357060fb0f341454f17ecd9439de461

f) Extraordinary Attorney Woo

Fun and heartwarming drama even though it also touched on serious issues. Struggled with some episodes in the second half, but the drama still ended on a good note. 

Romance / dramas / melodramas

My least favorite genre normally. Fortunately I was able to vote for one drama. :grimace:

h) The Glory season 1

Amazing drama. I could not stop watching it and binged all 8 episodes in 2 days. The age gap is too big between the leads and I don't really understand the ML's role, though. Fortunately it seems that the PD has a good understanding of what should be included so that the plot works, because he cut out the writer's kiss scene from the script. Am really hoping that season 2 will deliver!

all image/gif credits go their owners

• LOL 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

37 minutes ago, partyon said:

Not my favorite drama

Sad Korean Drama GIF by The Swoon

I did not abandon... it was a misclick...

Also how come you hate sound of magic? the story itself was quite great. it reflected today's world where there is much pressure from society and unappreciated people who just try to survive. 

• Blob 3

8 minutes ago, agenth said:

I did not abandon... it was a misclick...

Am not sure oppa believes you, chingu... :unamused:

img.gif

14 minutes ago, agenth said:

Also how come you hate sound of magic?

I don't. I voted for it. :kiss_wink: I loved the FL! Oppa was too skinny though :crybaby:

• LOL 3

3 hours ago, Haru1209 said:

Since "The Fabulous" is not on the list to vote I'll leave this gif ^_^

We would of course like to include all dramas that aired, but due to technical limitations on the forum we can only include 60 in total. :sweatingbullets: Did you watch any other dramas except for The Fabulous in 2022?

• Blob 1

Damn I completed 16 dramas and actually started (and eventually dropped or haven't finished) even more, that's more than I thought, felt like I barely watched anything lol. Imo this wasn't a strong year for k-dramas but hey I got to see Hwang Inyeop in two dramas at least :yay:

There was one gem for sure and that's Through the Darkness, it aired early in the year and nothing came quite close to it after that, definitely one of my all time favorite k-dramas now, too bad we only had 12 episodes. I mean look at them ;))

spacer.png

• Love 2

Omo! :scream:

Extraordinary Attorney Woo is in the lead! :love: A Business Proposal is in the second place.

Under the Queen's Umbrella, Alchemy of Souls S1, Tomorrow, Reborn Rich and My Liberation Notes are all fighting for the third place.

Royal Ascot Horse Riding GIF by World Horse Racing

Still some time left to vote, peeps! :hwaiting:

1 hour ago, Haeun said:

Imo this wasn't a strong year for k-dramas but hey I got to see Hwang Inyeop in two dramas at least 

Which of his dramas did you like more? I only watched Sound of Magic, but got to enjoy him in Young Actors' Retreat (variety show). What an adorable and funny guy he is IRL. :kiss_wink:  Did you watch it?

I think even @agenth chingu found Hwang In Yeop adorbs even though she at first only had her eyes on Ji Chang Wook oppa. Bogummy agrees!

aabb4eb2b554235a8bca7833635b3c38e18384d6

Kwakkie was so precious as well. :heart:  Wouldn't mind seeing In Yeop and Dong Yeon in more variety shows - they have that right personality. They're both so much fun!

• Love 2