Soompi Forums Awards: Best K-Dramas (2022) - Poll #1

partyon

Soompi Forums Awards: Best K-Dramas of 2022  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which thriller / suspense / fantasy / mystery dramas were your favorite in 2022? (choose max 5)

• Adamas
    • Grid
    • The Sound of Magic
    • The Golden Spoon
    • Alchemy of Souls (season 1)
    • Bulgasal: Immortal Souls
    • Tomorrow
    • Big Mouth
    • The Good Detective (season 2)
    • Again My Life
    • Through the Darkness
    • Tracer 1 and/or 2
    • Blind
    • Artificial City
    • The First Responders
    • Doctor Lawyer
    • Military Prosecutor Doberman
    • Kill Heel
    • Insider
    • Something else / Didn't watch any dramas of this genre
  2. 2. Which rom-coms / comedies / makjang dramas were your favorite in 2022? (choose max 5)

• The Law Cafe
    • Jinxed at First
    • One Dollar Lawyer
    • Gaus Electronics
    • Café Minamdang
    • Show Window: The Queen's House
    • Crazy Love
    • Moonshine
    • Uncle
    • Ghost Doctor
    • Our Beloved Summer
    • Love ft. Marriage and Divorce (season 3)
    • Yumi's Cells (season 2)
    • Extraordinary Attorney Woo
    • Eve
    • A Business Proposal
    • Reborn Rich
    • Forecasting Love and Weather
    • Love in Contract
  3. 3. Which romances / dramas / melodramas were your favorite in 2022? (choose max 5)

• Now, We Are Breaking Up
    • Pachinko
    • Curtain Call
    • Twenty-Five Twenty-One
    • Snowdrop
    • Why Her?
    • Thirty-Nine
    • Our Blues
    • The Red Sleeve
    • My Liberation Notes
    • Bloody Heart
    • The Glory (season 1)
    • Green Mothers' Club
    • If You Wish Upon Me
    • Little Women
    • Under the Queen's Umbrella
    • The King of Tears, Lee Bangwon
    • Rookie Cops
    • Poong, the Joseon Psychiatrist

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/18/2023 at 05:00 PM

1 minute ago, larus said:

Yeah... I watched 12 new dramas (2022) I count them :w00t: and I watched some older dramas too. I remember a few older dramas that I watched but I guess I watched more than I thought. :w00t: I had a hard time remembering if I watch them in 2022 or 2021. I still have this problem.

And here I was under the impression that you were in a drama slump :D

I only completed 10 dramas that ended in 2022 - that's less than your 12 in a drama slump  year. :blink:

Here I was thinking that I had a pretty good year!

How many dramas did you complete in 2020 - just out of curiosity? I believe that you may have watched quite a few dramas back then?

• Blob 5

11 minutes ago, partyon said:

And here I was under the impression that you were in a drama slump :D

How it is called when I did not watch anything for more than 2 months? It is new to me. Never happened before.

11 minutes ago, partyon said:

How many dramas did you complete in 2020 - just out of curiosity? I believe that you may have watched quite a few dramas back then?

I wish to know too. MyDramalist doesn`t tell me more than last year.  I counted 28 on the list (dramas from 2020) and some older dramas too but I don`t know which ones.  :D

• LOL 3
  • Blob 3

Checked my list: completed 12 dramas / favourites: Gaus Electronics & THE SOUND OF MAGIC 

• Gaus Electronics which sounded quite over the top and thus not funny. It was over the top (I only liked it from episode 3 on), but after the initial bullying, it was rather good humour and good character development and many memorable moments 
  • The Sound of Magic: No matter what @partyon says - I wish everyone would listen to the music of this awesome drama-musical. It is touching and reminds me of my schooldays! Also, yes Ji Chang Wook DELIVERS as enigmatic, mysterious and charming magician who seems like the kdrama's Version of Peter Pan. I especially liked the scene of him looking dangerous, which we may see in The Greatest Evil.... in H2 2023
  • Extraordinary Attorney Woo: the use of whales, sounds, the friendship between the girls, and the dreamy male lead... all charm me, as well as the superb acting 
  • Forecasting Love and Weather: It says I completed this - but it was not memorable at all.
  • All of Us Are Dead: I really, really hated how it took like 4 episodes of screaming, crying, whining until ONE person said they were thirsty. (VEry unrealistic, besides the zombieS - these students were NOT able to drink , except those in the washroom, because of zombies, yet they never complained about being thirsty despite wasting so much liquid...).
  • If You Wish Upon Me: Oppa's acting is always a treat. I have to admit, though, that I expected more of a tearjerker. At least he found happiness... 
  • Juvenile Justice: Anticipated Kim Hye Soo, but the stories of each case didn't touch my heart. 
  • My Liberation Notes: An understated drama with a FL and times I could relate to. the dynamic between the siblings was also interesting to watch. 
  • Reborn Rich: The drama was kept alive by Grandpa's acting, as well its story tied to the grandson. Once grandpa died, it was all the way down..... (also the "romance" really was illfitting)
  • The Glory: Season 1 builds up the story only, without giving us revenge yet, that's why we're on our toes to see Season 2! Evil Queen's actress has impressed me....
  • Twenty-Five Twenty-One: Great story ruined by the ending. The chemistry between the leads deserved a romantic ending, instead we got a female lead who names her workshop of her first love despite being married. Poor husband. 
  • Under the Queen's Umbrella: Under my umbrella - ella - ella. The Queen did it. Amazing OST, REALLY the ost was excellent especially coupled with the meaning of the scenes. THE OST!!!!!!!!!! Also, yes Kim Hye Soo erased my disappointment from her Juvenile Justice. The cinematography was also great. 
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Blob 1

Done with the vote!

Some, watched till the end but not necessarily like it.

Some watched, stop half way (Ep. 3 is my limit)

In the end only 2 stayed in my mind

1. Our Beloved Summer - love everything about it including the webtoon, OSTs, lead actor/actress etc (even searched other dramas/movie that they acted in)

2. 25-21 - like everyone else the ending broke me that I did promise that I would never watch a weekly drama anymore.  All the waiting time, anticipating, following the behind scenes etc ... I should have used the time to write a proper assignment :hahah!: (This will be in the same group as Cheese In The Trap for me)

Under the Queen's Umbrella helped me to recover a little from my weekly drama"trauma" :sweet: 

However now I prefer binge watching  more.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Hugs @gm4queen

Let's see, I voted for:

Category 1-Through the Darkness and Blind.  Mystery is my favorite genre.  I loved loved loved Through the Darkness.  KNG was so good.  I'm struggling though to watch his new drama Island.  

I watched Sound of Magic @agenth.  It wasn't bad.  I don't care for musicals and I was under the impression that there was a lot more singing.  I'm glad there wasn't as much as I feared.  I did have a BIG problem with the bird being hurt though.  I have two birds as pets, so seeing that cockatoo hurt bothered me.  

Category 2-the boring choice, Attorney Woo.  I really don't care to watch legal dramas.

Category 3-the obvious choice :joy:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

7 hours ago, agenth said:

Reborn Rich: The drama was kept alive by Grandpa's acting,

I'd watched it (up until the ep 6 final that was my limit - couldn't get further), because the grandpa's character, I privately think he is one of the best characters of the 2022, maybe more.

Dropped it, because I couldn't connect on any level with the grandson. At all. 

1 hour ago, CarolynH said:

I did have a BIG problem with the bird being hurt though.  I have two birds as pets, so seeing that cockatoo hurt bothered me.

Second that! The worse part of the drama that actually bothered me more than the ambiguous nature of the ML at the end...

• Like 2
  • Love 5

*** If you're not watching Korean dramas, then you're missing out in several ways. K-dramas for me are known for their interesting storylines and intense (if sometimes predictable) plot twists. These are the top K-dramas that were worth my time on 2022 and for me have garnered global viewership. K-actors are known for their good looks as well, and when coupled with highest standard fashion sense, outstanding locations and spectacular cinematography, every K-series becomes a visual treat for me.   :heart:

·         Our Blues - the series explores the trials and tribulations of the cast.

·         Pachinko – it delivers a  story that is not only different but also very well executed. 

·         Soundtrack #1 – I always love rom-com genre.

·         Reborn Rich – needless to say, it’s worth my time and it shows on the ratings that this drama got.

·         Rookie Cops – I really supported this drama because Kang Daniel has made his acting debut in this Disney+ original.

·         Ghost Doctor – for me this drama has garnered a large fan following.

·         The Sound of Magic - it's a good drama for me.

The most popular streaming dramas that have fame & global appeal for me:ohboy2:

·         Our Blues via Netflix

·         Rookie Cops via Disney

·         Reborn Rich via Netflix

·         Pachinko via Apple TV+

As a huge K-Drama fan for many years already, I noticed that daily or family weekend k-dramas aren’t getting as much attention internationally. But, daily and weekend dramas are really loved in SK, and we can see it in their high ratings and how it’s being discussed on various Korean sites!  :twerk2:

My favorite character is from “Our Blues” - Lee Young Ok, played by Han Ji Min. The worst ending for me is “Reborn Rich”. I was disappointed with the finale EP. It has an unreasonable development that it didn't meet my expectation. Well, on the other hand, "Reborn Rich" concluded with an open ending.   :heart2beat:

• Like 3
  • Love 3

@partyonThanks for tagging!:)

My days these days are really busy, having moved back to our newly renovated house.;) So, not really have time to watch any new dramas. Accidentally, I discovered this drama, "Rookie Cops" in Disney+ and found it really interesting. Can't believe I'm in episode 12 already haha.

With regard to category no. 1, was able to watch SJS's drama only so, it's my choice. But, to be honest, I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed his other dramas before. Hopefully, he gets to do something different for a change. I know he's a really good actor.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

@partyon thanks for the tag, I am still having the holiday mood. Last year one of my top favourite movie by James Cameron : "Avatar 2, The Way of Water" with 3D visual effect and Dolby Atmos sound effect. Worth the price and time spent. Awesome movie although storyline is simple, but the gist of meaning is clear.

Based on the category (thriller/suspense) that you listed above, below are some drama that I think are quite worth watching...

1. Blind - good wrap up ending...
  2. Doctor Lawyer
  3. Through the Darkness
  4. Again My Life - good story line but I wonder why the ending caused so much controversy by the netizen. I was totally fine with the writer who wrote that way because we must understand "corruption' will never end in this world so long as people are greedy and chase for money and power. Most people desire to separate their worlds into polarities of dark and light, ugly and beautiful, good and evil, right and wrong, inside and outside. Everyone spends their lives trying to balance their world between good and evil. Life is not always in a happy ending. The message is clear in the drama, the fight between the good and the evil will continue, and it runs through the heart of every man. Inside each of us, there is the seed of both good and evil. It's a constant struggle as to which one will win. And one cannot exist without the other. When the finale featured a powerful, evil, corrupt chair woman in the meeting, it was a clear hint that the battle would continue...
  5. Big Mouse - Many wondered why the male lead turn into Big Mouse boss in the end, and in fact I was quite like this arrangement, it was like the movie "God Father", Only when you become a Monster can you stand against powerful evil. There is no fairy tale.

My top favourite drama of the year in 2022

1. Reborn Rich
  2. Extraordinary Attorney Woo
  3. Our Blues
  4. My Liberation Notes

My top comedy drama of the year in 2022

• One Dollar Lawyer

My top favourite romance drama of the year in 2022

1. Soundtrack #1
  2. The Red Sleeve
  3. Love in Contract
  4. Love is for Suckers
  5. Snowdrop

My top historical drama of the year in 2022

• Under the Queen's Umbrella

I'm reserving to comment on this drama "Glory" (season 1) because it left us in suspense, and I'll wait until season 2 airs to watch the finale before commenting.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL MY FRIENDS IN 2023 !!

• Love 3
  • Blob 2

Thanks for tagging @partyon!

Though I haven't watched any of the listed kdramas, am a bit happy that at least I got to complete more than five (but less than 10) before the half year of 2022 was over. An improvement compared to 2021 of less than 5, LOL! After that, RL got too busy that I can only see movies or and a couple of mini series that are 10min or less per ep.

More often than not the shows I've been seeing lately aren't the serious kind. I guess I'm not too willing to see as yet something that will ramp up the stress, hahaha! I did watch a couple of action and mystery dramas though.

For 2023, I just wish for better acting, visuals, and more realistic SFX. A very good plot is a bonus, but for now I prefer watching actors and actresses that can really, really act over the supposedly perfect stories that are ruined by mediocre portrayals.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1

The best thriller / suspense / fantasy / mystery drama, according to me would be 'Through The Darkness'. It was executed well and it had a stellar cast that really did an admirable job portraying the characters. Definitely one of the best. 

The best  rom-coms / comedies would be Yumi's Cells though it was not as much fun as Season 1. 

I am not sure if One Dollar Lawyer fits any of the tags, because it was a mixture of everythig. NGM did a fantastic job as an eccentric lawyer. He never fails to impress me and I always have such high hopes from him and his projects. He always delivers!

I loved Eve. It started with a bang and I was hooked to it but I must admit that the ending had to be most disappointing. I loved the revenge thing. But, they could have done away with the romance part. It was just not convincing enough. Yes, I know, I know! Certain parts of the drama made no sense and there were many loopholes in the plot. But the actress did a great job. The ML could have showed more expressions. I know he is supposed to be an 'unemotional' man, a 'stoic' but he could try emoting more in future. That blank face didn't do much expressing his inner turmoil. 

Best romances: I would say none. Though Our Blues deserves a worthy mention. I loved the storytelling. Not ti mention the visual imagery was absolutely breath-takingly beautful. Stunning! I would say , it was the innovative story-telling, the warm and relatable characters and the scenery totally makes the drama worth a watch. Loved the omnibus. 

Best drama / melodrama would be The glory, which is surprsing because I was very reluctant to begin the drama and was almost on the verge of dropping it. The first episode had to be the most disturbing. Anyway, once I overcame the difficult scenes, it was a fun ride. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

18 hours ago, africandramalover said:

This was not the strongest year for dramas... I watched around 80 though 

You watched 80 kdramas, chingu? :scream: Did you drop any of them? Or you really completed all of them?

Daniel Cormier Mma GIF by UFC

You should get an award! :love:

18 hours ago, agenth said:

Gaus Electronics which sounded quite over the top and thus not funny. It was over the top (I only liked it from episode 3 on), but after the initial bullying, it was rather good humour and good character development and many memorable moments 

This was my favorite kdrama of 2022 too! :coolshades: Such a quirky funny show.

18 hours ago, agenth said:

Also, yes Ji Chang Wook DELIVERS as enigmatic, mysterious and charming magician who seems like the kdrama's Version of Peter Pan.

Oppa actually scared the bejesus out of me in Sound of Magic. He looked very unhinged for most part of the drama. Wasn't sure if he was going to turn out to be a serial killer or not. :grimace:

aa940b96e257a67e15333021eef3e72c.jpg&f=1

15 hours ago, YongZura⁷ said:

However now I prefer binge watching  more.

Me too, chingu! I binge watched Blind in 2022. Binge watching is best when it comes to thrillers especially. :kiss_wink:

13 hours ago, CarolynH said:

Category 3-the obvious choice :joy:

mosquito GIF

10 hours ago, willenette said:

As a huge K-Drama fan for many years already, I noticed that daily or family weekend k-dramas aren’t getting as much attention internationally.

I agree. I used to watch weekend dramas, but I feel that they haven't lately been as good as they used to be. :teaze:

7 hours ago, rocher22 said:

- Weak Hero

I have read a lot of good reviews about this drama. Should I put in on my watchlist?

6 hours ago, angela0612 said:

With regard to category no. 1, was able to watch SJS's drama only so, it's my choice. But, to be honest, I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed his other dramas before. Hopefully, he gets to do something different for a change. I know he's a really good actor.

I heard that Doctor Lawyer wasn't really his best drama. Apparently the FL also got a lot hate? Did you at least enjoy Shin Sung Rok? (Congrats on the renovated house btw :kiss_wink:)

5 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

Blind - good wrap up ending...

This drama was one of my favorites in 2022 but I felt that the ending could have been stronger. I felt sorry for the younger brother. :bawling:

5 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

Big Mouse - Many wondered why the male lead turn into Big Mouse boss in the end, and in fact I was quite like this arrangement, it was like the movie "God Father", Only when you become a Monster can you stand against powerful evil. There is no fairy tale.

Nice view on this drama, chingu! For me the drama was ruined by the Too Stupid To Live antics of the FL. Have you ever seen such a reckless FL before? :unamused:

And the fact that they underutilized my boy Kwakkie in this drama :rage: I had really hoped Kwakkie had turned out to be the real BM.

th?id=OIP.LsGOl4_i0wrshkyR8PCcjAHaJQ%26p

3 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

A very good plot is a bonus, but for now I prefer watching actors and actresses that can really, really act over the supposedly perfect stories that are ruined by mediocre portrayals.

Chingu, if we could get both good actors AND perfect stories, wouldn't it be the best? Am so over the fact that we never get this combo - it's always ruined by either or.

:kicks:

3 hours ago, confusedheart said:

Best drama / melodrama would be The glory, which is surprsing because I was very reluctant to begin the drama and was almost on the verge of dropping it. The first episode had to be the most disturbing. Anyway, once I overcame the difficult scenes, it was a fun ride. 

This was such a great drama, despite the end of season 1 being a bit underwhelming in my opinion. I hope that season 2 can finish with a bang!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
  • Blob 4

25 minutes ago, partyon said:

Chingu, if we could get both good actors AND perfect stories, wouldn't it be the best? Am so over the fact that we never get this combo - it's always ruined by either or.

If they can act so well, bad story plot can be overlooked, cos there would still be those good acting chops to entertain the viewer. But chingu, there's simply no saving it if the important members of the cast are mediocre. :sleepy: If they can't even get the facial expression right...? :skull:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 3

5 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

But chingu, there's simply no saving it if the important members of the cast are mediocre. :sleepy: If they can't even get the facial expression right...?

Chingu, most kdramas have this problem though. :joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

2 hours ago, partyon said:

Oppa actually scared the bejesus out of me in Sound of Magic. He looked very unhinged for most part of the drama. Wasn't sure if he was going to turn out to be a serial killer or not.

He was, up until the feral night (evening?) I was bit on edge, too, when he was on the screen. The kind of person you don't know what to expect, that could turn one-eighty in a second. It was more thriller like character than many from the actual genre, I think. 

Edit:

@MayanEchoThat's an interesting view.

To me the plot should be good (by which I mean consequential, well-thought), the actors and actress not always, but at least mediocre to pull the story the right way.

Solid story and acting that's gets viewers throughout the drama is pretty rare in my experience - like, usually it's a journey that has ups and downs and you judge it by the end compared the rare ones that you know is a solid, steady one from the beginning to finish and delivers what it need to deliver without a feeling that it really is covering some big mistake on planning part. I hardly see those or just watching the wrong corner of kdramaland. 

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 4

1 hour ago, Idylla Kaizoku said:

To me the plot should be good (by which I mean consequential, well-thought), the actors and actress not always, but at least mediocre to pull the story the right way.

That actually works too, but maybe not ao much for serious dramas?

1 hour ago, Idylla Kaizoku said:

Solid story and acting that's gets viewers throughout the drama is pretty rare in my experience - like, usually it's a journey that has ups and downs and you judge it by the end compared the rare ones that you know is a solid, steady one from the beginning to finish and delivers what it need to deliver without a feeling that it really is covering some big mistake on planning part. I hardly see those or just watching the wrong corner of kdramaland. 

I watch mostly Cdramas wherein the censors authority has a say to the number of episodes approved for airing which can change the flow of story especially near the end. 

Oh yeah, Cdramas are notorious too for bad endings, hahahaha!

Rather think that some dramas lately too aren't so interesting to watch for many reasons, though for me the reasons are almost always the same why I'd drop a show: bad acting most of the time, then the plot that ceased to keep the appeal.

A Cdrama which will always be a favourite of mine has a butchered plot if compared to the original novel it was based from, and the SFX from more than 6yrs ago when it was shot would be considered quite bad for today's standards. The acting of the cast was very much on point though especially the leads, the drama can be considered as one of the epic stories to watch if one wanna get to know Cdramas. :)

• Like 1
  • Blob 4