[Drama 2024] The Queen of Tears / 눈물의 여왕 - Kim Soo Hyun, Kim Ji Won

Maetawinz

Spoiler

Kim Soo Hyun Is Threatened By Park Sung Hoon And Kim Ji Won’s Friendship In “Queen Of Tears”

Kim Soo Hyun Is Threatened By Park Sung Hoon And Kim Ji Won’s Friendship In “Queen Of Tears”

tvN’s “Queen of Tears” has shared a glimpse of the growing tension between Kim Soo Hyun and Park Sung Hoon!

Penned by “Crash Landing on You,” “My Love From the Star,” and “Producer” writer Park Ji Eun, “Queen of Tears” is a new drama about the miraculous, thrilling, and humorous love story of a married couple who manage to survive a crisis and stay together against all odds.

Spoilers

Previously on “Queen of Tears,” Baek Hyun Woo (Kim Soo Hyun) couldn’t help getting jealous when his wife Hong Hae In (Kim Ji Won) was unexpectedly reunited with her friend and former classmate Yoon Eun Sung (Park Sung Hoon)—especially after learning that they had some romantic history. To make things worse, not only did Yoon Eun Sung tag along on his wife’s family hunt, but he acted even more like a son-in-law to her parents than their actual son-in-law Baek Hyun Woo.

In newly released stills from the drama’s next episode, Baek Hyun Woo tries to fend off his wife’s suspicious male friend by remaining steadfastly by Hong Hae In’s side with an icy glare.

Meanwhile, Yoon Eun Sung has also been startled by Hong Hae In’s near-accident, and he rushes to her side to make sure she’s okay. There, he winds up engaging in a tense war of nerves with Baek Hyun Woo, leading to a stiflingly awkward interaction between the trio.

Kim-Soo-Hyun-Kim-Ji-Won.jpegPark-Sung-Hoon-1.jpegKim-Soo-Hyun-3.jpeg

Spoiler

Park-Sung-Hoon-2.jpeg

To find out where this uncomfortable love triangle will lead, tune in to the next episode of “Queen of Tears” on March 16 at 9:10 p.m. KST!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1649067wpp/kim-soo-hyun-is-threatened-by-park-sung-hoon-and-kim-ji-wons-friendship-in-queen-of-tears

• Like 1

I just finished Ep 3.   As expected, the Fun Began.   I enjoyed it.  I did Not push the "Forward Button" this time.  :lol:  

Spoiler

1) Yoon Eun Sung, Hae In's ex BF is a Psycho.  I believe he is going to create havocs for Hae In.  And Baek Hyun Woo (ML) will have to protect his Wife.  And in the process they are going to fall madly in love

2) The Flashbacks on their dating is Fun.  I am looking forward to find out what happened to make them fall out with each other. 

3) When Baek Hyun Woo (ML) came out from his Bath, I thought his "Towel" was going to drop. Oops.  Luckily it did not. :lol:

4) It was a bit Predictable though.  The Last Scene.  I expected Hae In (FL) to Kiss Hyun Woo.  And she did.

6 hours ago, hush puppy said:

I just finished Ep 3.   As expected, the Fun Began.   I enjoyed it. 

Yeah, I also enjoyed the episode.  This drama is pretty good fun.   Hae-in is really an interesting character and KJW is doing a superb acting job.  I usually don't like epilogues in dramas, but that was fun too.

That Yoon character is creepy though.  

For @partyon, it looks like Kwakkie will have a storyline, involving his wife - and he probably won't turn into a villain character.  He had some decent screen time at the beginning.  I wonder why Hae-in gets mad even at hearing his name though.

• Insightful 1

Here are the ratings for Episode 3! :).

“Queen Of Tears” Soars To Its Highest Ratings Yet For 3rd Episode

“Queen Of Tears” Soars To Its Highest Ratings Yet For 3rd Episode

tvN’s “Queen of Tears” is on the rise!

On March 9, the new romance drama starring Kim Soo Hyun and Kim Ji Won continued to gain viewers. According to Nielsen Korea, the third episode of “Queen of Tears” took first place in its time slot across all channels with an average nationwide rating of 9.6 percent, marking a new personal record for the show.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1649177wpp/queen-of-tears-soars-to-its-highest-ratings-yet-for-3rd-episode

Kim Soo Hyun Desperately Tries To Fend Off Rival Park Sung Hoon In “Queen Of Tears”

Kim Soo Hyun Desperately Tries To Fend Off Rival Park Sung Hoon In “Queen Of Tears”

The love triangle on tvN’s “Queen of Tears” is heating up!

Penned by “Crash Landing on You,” “My Love From the Star,” and “Producer” writer Park Ji Eun, “Queen of Tears” is a new drama about the miraculous, thrilling, and humorous love story of a married couple who manage to survive a crisis and stay together against all odds.

Spoilers

Previously on “Queen of Tears,” Baek Hyun Woo (Kim Soo Hyun) began to feel threatened upon the arrival of Yoon Eun Sung (Park Sung Hoon), his wife Hong Hae In (Kim Ji Won)’s friend and former classmate.

From the very first time they met at a party, Yoon Eun Sung made sure Baek Hyun Woo knew just how close he and Hong Hae In were. Later, not only did Yoon Eun Sung grab drinks alone with Hong Hae In, but he also insinuated that he knew her better than Baek Hyun Woo did. Due to Yoon Eun Sung’s brazen attitude as he repeatedly crossed the line, Baek Hyun Woo’s patience began to wear thin.

In newly released stills from the drama’s upcoming fourth episode, Baek Hyun Woo is none too pleased when Yoon Eun Sung pays a visit to their home. Although Yoon Eun Sung and Hong Hae In are only meeting for business purposes, Yoon Eun Sung’s demeanor is visibly different from the professional focus displayed by Hong Hae In.

Wearing a playful smile as he chats with Hong Hae In, it appears as though Yoon Eun Sung is trying to loosen up the atmosphere and turn their meal into a more personal hangout.

Meanwhile, an uncontrollably jealous Baek Hyun Woo watches helplessly from the sidelines as Yoon Eun Sung attempts to chat up his wife.

Kim-Ji-Won-3.jpegPark-Sung-Hoon-3.jpegKim-Soo-Hyun-4.jpeg

In order to fend off this new romantic rival, Baek Hyun Woo desperately tries to do everything he can to “mark his territory”—even going so far as to bring up their marital relations in front of Yoon Eun Sung.

Spoiler

Kim-Ji-Won-2-1.jpegKim-Soo-Hyun-2-1.jpeg

The next episode of “Queen of Tears” will air on March 17 at 9:10 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1649186wpp/kim-soo-hyun-tries-to-fend-off-rival-park-sung-hoon-in-queen-of-tears

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jayakris said:

it looks like Kwakkie will have a storyline, involving his wife - and he probably won't turn into a villain character.  He had some decent screen time at the beginning.  I wonder why Hae-in gets mad even at hearing his name though.

I just watched the first episode. I absolutely adored Kwakkie's role in it. :wub: Again showing his acting range.

But sad to say, I have serious doubts if I want to continue this drama. I really didn't like seeing Hyun Woo being a doormat. And I suspect we're gonna continue to see him being that judging from the end of ep 1.

• Like 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 2

The last scene of episode 4 was done so incredibly well. I felt it. I love how it took her a second try before she could open up. ❤️ 

I haven’t been to Soompi since 2014 maybe but I had to talk about this drama. 

i hate the second lead a lot! He is such a nuisance! I’m glad the drama does let us in on his true character. 

Spoiler

Ep 5 promo is killing me. Why would the noisy brother and sister tell the noisy villagers about the divorce! I can’t believe it. This will set us a million steps back! The love confession and KSH crying in bed is just too much feels for my I can’t. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

25 minutes ago, dr25 said:

The last scene of episode 4 was done so incredibly well. I felt it. I love how it took her a second try before she could open up.

Boy was that scene well done!!!  I rushed over here to talk about it because it almost shook me up, and you have already talked about it.  The expressions on Hae-in's face when he yelled at her at first, were striking.  Holding back tears and not wanting to say anything that would show her vulnerability.   I think we got a glimpse of what may be in store, matching the title of the drama.  We had really not seen much of "tears" so far.

The last few minutes of the episode... It was all surreal, and so beautifully shot.  Wonderful cinematography, with the soft music in the backround.  Almost haunting.  Wow.

3 hours ago, partyon said:

I just watched the first episode. I absolutely adored Kwakkie's role in it. :wub: Again showing his acting range.

But sad to say, I have serious doubts if I want to continue this drama. I really didn't like seeing Hyun Woo being a doormat. And I suspect we're gonna continue to see him being that judging from the end of ep 1.

No, no... He won't be.  It all changes quite a bit from the second episode onward.   Having seen till the end of ep 4, I would recommend that you should watch this drama.  (But Ep 4 did not have a whole lot of Kwakkie, though we see that others are conspiring on his behalf, seemingly without his knowledge, trying to use him)

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

“Queen Of Tears” Sweeps Top Spots On Most Buzzworthy Drama And Actor Rankings

“Queen Of Tears” Sweeps Top Spots On Most Buzzworthy Drama And Actor Rankings

Watch: “Queen Of Tears” Stars Kim Ji Won and Kwak Dong Yeon Take Over “Amazing Saturday” In Fun Preview

Watch: “Queen Of Tears” Stars Kim Ji Won and Kwak Dong Yeon Take Over “Amazing Saturday” In Fun Preview

https://www.soompi.com/article/1649324wpp/watch-queen-of-tears-stars-kim-ji-won-and-kwak-dong-yeon-take-over-amazing-saturday-in-fun-preview

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dr25 said:

The last scene of episode 4 was done so incredibly well. I felt it. I love how it took her a second try before she could open up. ❤️ 

i hate the second lead a lot! He is such a nuisance! I’m glad the drama does let us in on his true character. 

16 hours ago, jayakris said:

Boy was that scene well done!!!  I rushed over here to talk about it because it almost shook me up, and you have already talked about it.  The expressions on Hae-in's face when he yelled at her at first, were striking.  Holding back tears and not wanting to say anything that would show her vulnerability.   I think we got a glimpse of what may be in store, matching the title of the drama.  We had really not seen much of "tears" so far.

The last few minutes of the episode... It was all surreal, and so beautifully shot.  Wonderful cinematography, with the soft music in the backround.  Almost haunting.  Wow.

I agree with both of you.  This drama has suddenly transformed since Ep 3.  

Ep 3 was good.  But Ep 4 was even better.  Now we are beginning to "understand" Hae In.  Alongside Baek Hyun Woo.  

Since she lost her brother.  And her parents lost a son, she has been holding it back.  Holding back her tears and acting "Tough" because she does not want her parents to feel the "Loss".  She tries to "Replace" her brother and be that "Son" to her parents.  

And now she is "Breaking Down".  And she needs her Husband/ Lover to take care of her, understand her, protect her.  She needs to let her "Tears" flow now.

I could not wait for the rest of the eps.

BTW, @jayakris, who is "kwakwie" ?  

P/S:  I did hit the "Foward Button" for Ep 4 though. :lol:

• Blob 1

Here are the ratings for Episode 4! :).

“Queen Of Tears” Ratings Break Into Double Digits; “Doctor Slump” + “Live Your Own Life” End On Rise

“Queen Of Tears” Ratings Break Into Double Digits; “Doctor Slump” + “Live Your Own Life” End On Rise

tvN’s “Queen of Tears” shows no signs of slowing down!

On March 17, the new romance drama soared to its highest viewership ratings yet for its fourth episode.

According to Nielsen Korea, the latest broadcast of “Queen of Tears” took first place in its time slot across all channels with an average nationwide rating of 13.0 percent, marking an impressive 3.4 percent jump from the night before.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1649331wpp/queen-of-tears-ratings-break-into-double-digits-doctor-slump-live-your-own-life-end-on-rise

• Where's My Oppa? 1

13 hours ago, dr25 said:

Wow! That's a long hiatus. Welcome back :fullofhearts:

12 hours ago, jayakris said:

No, no... He won't be.  It all changes quite a bit from the second episode onward.   Having seen till the end of ep 4, I would recommend that you should watch this drama. 

I don't know, chingu. I just felt extremely uncomfortable with the leads' dynamics in ep 1. I would even go as far as call it abuse what the ML was going through.... :grimace: I don't find it funny the way he was being treated by both her and her family. She wasn't lifting a finger to protect him from his family's antics.

And then the ending part where she reveals she is terminally ill and the preview showing him groveling at her feet - all the while we get a love triangle introduced?

Hell GIF by Steve Harvey TV

I just lost it at that. Dude deserves a divorce and he needs to get some self-respect. I am definitely taking a break from this drama until I see / hear the direction this drama is going to take. I just seriously dislike the FL right now.

Haven't been this upset about a drama since The Last Empress.

:fear:

@Lmangla sweetie can vouch how serious it is if I am comparing a drama with The Last Empress - lol :joy:

12 hours ago, jayakris said:

(But Ep 4 did not have a whole lot of Kwakkie, though we see that others are conspiring on his behalf, seemingly without his knowledge, trying to use him)

Am gonna check out all of his scenes later, even if I decide not to pick up this drama again. Too bad he got beat up by his sister. :rage: Also another reason, I don't like her.

3 hours ago, hush puppy said:

I agree with both of you.  This drama has suddenly transformed since Ep 3.  

Ep 3 was good.  But Ep 4 was even better.  Now we are beginning to "understand" Hae In.  Alongside Baek Hyun Woo.  

Am assuming it is going down the melodrama route?

Since he lost her brother, and her parents, a son, she has been holding it back.  Holding back her tears and acting "Tough" because she does not want her parents to feel the "Loss".  She tries to "Replace" her brother and be that "Son" to her parents.  

And now she is "Breaking Down".  And she needs her Husband/ Lover to take care of her, understand her, protect her.  She needs to let her "Tears" flow now.

Doesn't excuse her behavior towards her husband. That's my opinion.

On a side note, if the roles were reversed, am assuming more people would be up at arms of how the wife was treated during her marriage? Just wondering?

Kwakkie is this guy:

queen-of-tears-stills-01.jpeg

Kwak Dong Yeon, nicknamed Kwakkie by his fans back in the day when he debuted :kiss_wink: Been following his career since I saw him for the first time in 2014 in Modern Farmer.

• Love 2
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

2 hours ago, hush puppy said:

Haha, that is not from me.  It was @partyon who started talking about "Kwakkie".  It took me a little time to figure out too, that it was Kwak Dong Yun, the actor playing Hae-In's brother Hong Soo Chul. @partyon was watching this mainly for "kawkkie" and I was trying to get @partyon to watch the drama :) ... I agree that he is a good actor who has done well in so many roles that he deserves a lead role somewhere, rather than all the cartoon character roles he gets because he is good at what he does.

• Like 2
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

Just now, jayakris said:

I agree that he is a good actor who has done well in so many roles that he deserves a lead role somewhere, rather than all the cartoon character roles he gets because he is good at what he does.

Thanks for your support, chingu! :heart4:

There are so many of us on this forum who have a sweet spot for Kwakkie (not sure really how he got his nickname, but he's had it for 10 years already) and are hoping that he would get more lead roles.

@agenth @backstreetboysfan @sweetroad @Lmangla @Sleepy Owl being a few of them along with myself :kiss_wink:

Even with the few scenes I saw him in during ep 1, he was doing an amazing job. Unfortunately, though, it seems he was again typecast in a "happy go lucky" role.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 2

15 minutes ago, partyon said:

And then the ending part where she reveals she is terminally ill and the preview showing him groveling at her feet - all the while we get a love triangle introduced?

I just lost it at that. Dude deserves a divorce and he needs to get some self-respect. I am definitely taking a break from this drama until I see / hear the direction this drama is going to take. I just seriously dislike the FL right now.

That was all a set-up for maximum effect, as we see by the 4th episode.  She has totally changed.  The dude did plan divorce and was actually planning to make some handsome cash from it too, with "groveling at her feet" and all that part of his plan with his lawyer...  But now that she has changed, and he has also changed, it seems like they are actually falling in love again.  It is lot of fun.

11 minutes ago, partyon said:

Even with the few scenes I saw him in during ep 1, he was doing an amazing job. Unfortunately, though, it seems he was again typecast in a "happy go lucky" role.

Seeing these other characters conspiring "for" him, without his knowledge, I get the feeling that he will figure them out and will be the "good guy" who will join hands with his sister and brother-in-law later.  Showing him as a not-so-bright character early may again be a set-up by the drama for effect, when he turns the table on others.  Let us see.

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

11 hours ago, jayakris said:

That was all a set-up for maximum effect, as we see by the 4th episode.  She has totally changed.  The dude did plan divorce and was actually planning to make some handsome cash from it too, with "groveling at her feet" and all that part of his plan with his lawyer... 

Keep me posted on the progress. I might pick it up again....

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

By the way, this drama occasionally gives me the vibes of a weekend 50-episode drama, the way the two families have been brought in, with some of those characters getting some decent screen time.  A little unusual, but I like it.  I like the village scenes and crazy dysfunctional big-family memorials and all that.  I also liked Hae-in's interaction with the kid (HyeonWoo's nephew).

• Blob 1