[Drama 2023] Payback/Law Money, 법쩐

larus

4 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

This looks like the old airport, though, doesn’t it? I think you were right earlier, in that they chose to film there instead of the new one. This doesn’t look as fancy:

Nope, I've been to the old airport. No mountains like that around the airport. The airport is on the steppe - not in a mountainous area. Those are created with CG I see now.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

Just now, partyon said:

Nope, I've been to the old airport. No mountains like that around the airport. The airport is on the steppe - not in a mountainous area.

I was talking about the building itself. It doesn’t look as fancy as the new airport. The mountains I have no idea about :)

They should have just portrayed it as a small, unnamed airport and it would’ve made more sense than CGI-ing mountains around the Chinggis Khaan airport. 

Also, I do need to know where LSK kept that uber fancy car of his. Surely that would’ve stood out in the Mongolian countryside. 

It was pretty awesome to see though.

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

30 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

This looks like the old airport, though, doesn’t it? I think you were right earlier, in that they chose to film there instead of the new one.

Yes, it's the old airport which is right next to the city. It is only used as a backup airport nowadays.

They added the mountains to it though. Those aren't real.

23 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

Also, I do need to know where LSK kept that uber fancy car of his. Surely that would’ve stood out in the Mongolian countryside. 

The whole country outside of Ulaanbaatar and a couple of other cities is the countryside, chingu. But it's not like they don't have fancy cars in Mongolia.

• Like 5

Premiere Watch: Payback, Agency

by missvictri

It’s time for our new weekend dramas to drop, and I am ready! What with a bunch of dramas having ended last week, and holidays and award show preemptions, I’m starting to feeling lonely for new dramas. Luckily, it’s time for Lee Bo-young to make her dramaland return — and Lee Seon-kyun and Moon Chae-won to wow us with some vigilante justice.

Payback

https://www.dramabeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/payback_sr.jpg

Time slot: Friday-Saturday
Broadcaster: SBS
Genre: Action, revenge, thriller, business
Episode count: 12

Reasons to watch: While the stock market/business angle of this drama doesn’t exactly thrill me to my core, the action angle does. With Lee Seon-kyun as a man ready to take down a corrupt and powerful cartel — and the system that failed him — and Moon Chae-won as an army judge who has her own bone to pick with the legal system, this could make for a really thrilling ride. Add explosions. Add the cat-and-mouse dynamic. Add a subtle love line and/or the emotionally-connected teamwork like we saw in Adamas. And most importantly, add Park Hoon as one of your baddies. He’s been on my radar since Memories of the Alhambra and is woefully under-appreciated, so here’s hoping he shines in Payback, along with the rest of our cast.

TL;DR: Lee Seon-kyun and Moon Chae-won join forces to take down Evil Corruption

Meta bonus: Rookie Kang Yoo-seok also joins the main cast, and I thought he looked cute familiar — he’s half of the evil twin hacker duo in Start-Up!

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/01/premiere-watch-payback-agency/

• Like 4

4 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

However, Asianwiki specifically lists Kim Won-seuk as a co-writer for Descendants of the Sun

Ooooooho! So who knows glory was also co written. This poor fella never got any credit lolzz, it was always ms eun sook.

7 hours ago, Nomorelisa said:

Was there a sign that says it is Chinggis International Airport?  I don't recall seeing it.  In most countries there are private airports, aircraft maintenance centres that have runways for private jets and helicopters.  The aircraft that he boarded is a small aircraft.

If there wasn't a name board how else I would have known? Chinggis International Airport. The jet was small for international flight but that was not important, I have never heard of private cars being allowed to be driven on runways also they made it seem like he is driving through country and in same drive arrives at runway. And it's funny that it also looked like he parks car infront of airports main building and jet is also parked there, like what are you showing..? Imagine depicting incheon airport this way.

7 hours ago, Nomorelisa said:

As for stock market speculation, it does happened.  When you state the "entire stock market" that is an exaggeration as that was not what was in the drama.  Corruption is real and prevalent everywhere, 1st and 3rd world countries have them

I wasn't trying to exaggerate, I felt confused that's why I asked to have it explained. Now why I asked it this way was because Chairman is doing stock market manipulation at a huge scale, if we see, he is not a small fish and he has involvement in lot of listed companies, so I in my limited knowledge I assumed (which could be wrong) that this fiddling impacts a good part of local stock market like a good 60pc of it. So anyone who is buying stocks based off information floating in market is prone to fall victim to his manipulation schemes, basically I felt he is involved in lot of listed companies and scams, is this possible? and if so, then how as stock buyers people can protect themselves from frauds whether they are in korea or usa or any part of the world. 2ndly is it even possible for someone to keep manipulating stock market like this without getting caught regardless of what country it is. I don't know much on topic hence, the questions.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2023 at 7:44 PM, Shimmery-summer said:

Ooooooho! So who knows glory was also co written. This poor fella never got any credit lolzz, it was always ms eun sook.

If there wasn't a name board how else I would have known? Chinggis International Airport. The jet was small for international flight but that was not important, I have never heard of private cars being allowed to be driven on runways also they made it seem like he is driving through country and in same drive arrives at runway. And it's funny that it also looked like he parks car infront of airports main building and jet is also parked there, like what are you showing..? Imagine depicting incheon airport this way.

I wasn't trying to exaggerate, I felt confused that's why I asked to have it explained. Now why I asked it this way was because Chairman is doing stock market manipulation at a huge scale, if we see, he is not a small fish and he has involvement in lot of listed companies, so I in my limited knowledge I assumed (which could be wrong) that this fiddling impacts a good part of local stock market like a good 60pc of it. So anyone who is buying stocks based off information floating in market is prone to fall victim to his manipulation schemes, basically I felt he is involved in lot of listed companies and scams, is this possible? and if so, then how as stock buyers people can protect themselves from frauds whether they are in korea or usa or any part of the world. 2ndly is it even possible for someone to keep manipulating stock market like this without getting caught regardless of what country it is. I don't know much on topic hence, the questions.

A private jet can fly great distances and even further if equipped with air to air refueling capabilities. However, a normal private jet is able to fly across borders and since Mongolia is a landlocked country, she shares a few borders with other countries.  We need to open our minds as viewers with little knowledge of a foreign country has no knowledge of the outside world as most only can't be bothered and only know a bit about their country and screw whatever is beyond.  Only a small percentage of the world's population is interested in world affairs outside of their country. It is therefore possible that he drove to where the aircraft is parked on the apron which is where most passengers board the aircraft (not the runway).  It will be unusual to board an aircraft on the runway as planes take off and land there and is dangerous.  He may not go to the International Airport to fly out of the country but flew to another nearby country's International Airport to take another flight to his destination.  You may have an intimate knowledge of Mongolia but majority of viewers does not.  If you watched Little Women, most of the scenes there were re-created and not accurate.

As for manipulating the stock market, you can google it to find out more.  Lehman Brothers, 4th largest investment bank in the States collapse, Samsung 2015 merger fraud, Nick Leeson who brought down the world's oldest bank Barclay's etc.

On 1/7/2023 at 3:49 PM, the_sweetroad said:

@partyon I was just going to post the screenshots I just took :)

This looks like the old airport, though, doesn’t it? I think you were right earlier, in that they chose to film there instead of the new one. This doesn’t look as fancy:

Maybe they could have portrayed it not as the main Chinggis Khaan airport though. I agree with you all that they’re not portraying Mongolia very well in the first episode, making it seem quite remote and underdeveloped. In fact where did LSK keep that fancy car of his the whole time?!

The rest of the episode had some decent set up and backstory, which I think they’ll explore even more the second episode. Surprises for me were not seeing more of MCW, seeing so much of the nephew (he’s such an earnest fellow!) and not seeing even more backstory. For some reason I’d thought most of episode 1 would be dedicated to the backstory of both LSK and MCW. I didn’t know LSK walking slo-mo up the ramp to his jet would already come in Ep 1. I would’ve saved that as a nice climax later. :D

I wonder if we’ll see more of LSK’s older sister when she was young, too, or if that was it for that actress.

All in all a good start, and I’m glad viewers are tuning in so far.

My bad for not being aware of the sign that says Chinggis Khaan.:sweatingbullets:

Edited by gm4queen
Please don't quote images! Thanks!
  • Like 3
  • Off-Topic 1

1 hour ago, Nomorelisa said:

A private jet can fly great distances and even further if equipped with air to air refueling capabilities.

What is the point of your entire reply?  What are you on about? Also size of private jet is not an issue, why are you bringing it up? since you had mentioned it in your previous comment, I repeated the observation, but I also stated 'but that's not important'. Then you brought in air to air refuelling for a civilian jet which is so ...... that I don't want to address it. 

However, a normal private jet is able to fly across borders and since Mongolia is a landlocked country, she shares a few borders with other countries.  We need to open our minds as viewers with little knowledge of a foreign country has no knowledge of the outside world as most only can't be bothered and only know a bit about their country and screw whatever is beyond.  Only a small percentage of the world's population is interested in world affairs outside of their country. It is therefore possible that he drove to where the aircraft is parked on the apron which is where most passengers board the aircraft (not the runway).  It will be unusual to board an aircraft on the runway as planes take off and land there and is dangerous.

Again don't even know what is the point of this entire block of text as it isn't remotely related to points I had raised. And you have the guts to say that as a viewer I should open my mind, I don't even know what should I open my mind to, and then again you go off on some useless off topic rant about him flying to another country's intl airport then flying to korea, who cares he flies through another country's airport or goes through submarine, noone is discussing it.

As a viewer I don't need to open my mind, it is the job of korean writers who include other countries in scripts to do proper research on local cultures and places and show them with respect and accuracy. Not half arsing their jobs. 

Just for 1  minute glory of koreans against 'poor mongolians', the writers showed the car barging into the largest international airport's runway which is not possible. 

Whether it's recreated or original, show things respectfully and correctly as koreans would want it for their country. It's as simple. And lets not go to little woman as it had shown vietnam in a bad way which led to it being taken down from netflix Vietnam.

You may have an intimate knowledge of Mongolia but majority of viewers does not.  If you watched Little Women, most of the scenes there were re-created and not accurate.

No I have no intimate knowledge of Mongolia, it's common sense and respect for other cultures. 

As for manipulating the stock market, you can google it to find out more.  Lehman Brothers, 4th largest investment bank in the States collapse, Samsung 2015 merger fraud, Nick Leeson who brought down the world's oldest bank Barclay's etc

Except Samsung none is related to stock price manipulation. And it's Barings nor Barclay. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nomorelisa said:

My bad for not being aware of the sign that says Chinggis Khaan.:sweatingbullets:

No worries at all :). The scene went quickly so it was easy to miss. I noticed it right away because I was raised thinking the name was spelled Genghis Khan so my mind did a double-take at the spelling at the airport!

4 hours ago, Shimmery-summer said:

2ndly is it even possible for someone to keep manipulating stock market like this without getting caught regardless of what country it is.

In my observation, it can take a while before insider trading and short selling become apparent, but then there are big consequences for any company or individual involved in it (aka Martha Stewart). Chairman Myung tried to hide the insider trading and stock manipulations in the two companies, GMI Bank and Rambo's wife's company, but once young prosecutor Jang started digging it was easy for him to see corrupt trends. I'm not sure how many other companies' stocks were affected, but I don't think it was that widespread in that case in the first episode.

About respecting foreign cultures, I think @Nomorelisa and @Shimmery-summer you're both saying similar things. Thanks for the reminders to keep a learning posture toward other countries, and to be accurate and respect them when portraying them on screen.

~

Just finished Episode 2 and was tickled that the other scene that made the internet go crazy - LSK and MCW standing in the rain - was the climax of this episode. :lol: I don't think I'm really waiting for anything now. Haha.

I'm trying to get the timeline straight:

So in 1990, a teenage Eun Yong was released from juvie, met Jun Kyung and her mom, and at the same time joined up with Seong Tae's thug youth gang. He also visited his sister and nephew and had a place to stay with them?

By 2003, he was getting beaten up by Chairman Myung because he wanted to stand on his own. He screwed over the Chairman and then offered to leave the country within the week, and we can assume he then moved to Mongolia and set up shop there.

CEO Yoon was killed in March of 2010, while Eun Yong was in Mongolia and apparently completely off-the-grid as he wasn't checking his emails.

When the photo stills of LSK and MCW were released the articles said they hadn't seen each other in 10 years....so does it mean that he returns to Korea in 2013? That this whole show is set in the mid 2010's? I'd always thought it was present-day, 2022/ 2023, but the timeline is a bit off then.

Also, it's curious that he's so in touch with his equity-firm partner, even when he's in Mongolia, but he hadn't checked his emails in years. :)

Not a big deal, but those are the questions I have right now. :)

Overall I really enjoyed this episode. The pacing feels right, although sometimes going back and forth in time is a bit hard to follow. Park Hoon's character is interesting, MCW is strong and clever like her mom, and I love the sleek way they're styling present-day LSK.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

so does it mean that he returns to Korea in 2013? That this whole show is set in the mid 2010's? I'd always thought it was present-day, 2022/ 2023, but the timeline is a bit off then.

I must have missed it when watching the first episode, but the present-day events do take place in the mid-2010’s, in 2014:

spacer.png

(This is the scene where nephew Jang walks into the prosecution building and meets Hwak Ki Seok in the elevator.)

So the timeline lines up and makes sense. :approves:

And filming at the old Chinggis Khaan airport also makes sense as that would’ve been the airport back then.

• Like 3

Here are the ratings for Episode 2! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Alchemy Of Souls Part 2” And “Red Balloon” Earn Their Highest Saturday Ratings Yet; “Agency” Premieres To Promising Start

SBS’s new drama “Payback” dipped to an average nationwide rating of 7.4 percent for its second episode.

“Alchemy Of Souls Part 2” And “Red Balloon” Earn Their Highest Saturday Ratings Yet; “Agency” Premieres To Promising Start | Soompi

• Like 3

10 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

No worries at all :). The scene went quickly so it was easy to miss. I noticed it right away because I was raised thinking the name was spelled Genghis Khan so my mind did a double-take at the spelling at the airport!

In my observation, it can take a while before insider trading and short selling become apparent, but then there are big consequences for any company or individual involved in it (aka Martha Stewart). Chairman Myung tried to hide the insider trading and stock manipulations in the two companies, GMI Bank and Rambo's wife's company, but once young prosecutor Jang started digging it was easy for him to see corrupt trends. I'm not sure how many other companies' stocks were affected, but I don't think it was that widespread in that case in the first episode.

About respecting foreign cultures, I think @Nomorelisa and @Shimmery-summer you're both saying similar things. Thanks for the reminders to keep a learning posture toward other countries, and to be accurate and respect them when portraying them on screen.

I offered a red herring when I replied and it was taken. Corruption exists and will continue to exist everywhere no matter which ideology a country follows.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 10:37 AM, the_sweetroad said:

Just finished Episode 2 and was tickled that the other scene that made the internet go crazy - LSK and MCW standing in the rain - was the climax of this episode. :lol: I don't think I'm really waiting for anything now. Haha.

How about the running to the hospital scene?

• LOL 2

On 1/7/2023 at 8:47 AM, larus said:

Premiere Watch: Payback, Agency

by missvictri

It’s time for our new weekend dramas to drop, and I am ready! What with a bunch of dramas having ended last week, and holidays and award show preemptions, I’m starting to feeling lonely for new dramas. Luckily, it’s time for Lee Bo-young to make her dramaland return — and Lee Seon-kyun and Moon Chae-won to wow us with some vigilante justice.

Payback

https://www.dramabeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/payback_sr.jpg

Time slot: Friday-Saturday
Broadcaster: SBS
Genre: Action, revenge, thriller, business
Episode count: 12

Reasons to watch: While the stock market/business angle of this drama doesn’t exactly thrill me to my core, the action angle does. With Lee Seon-kyun as a man ready to take down a corrupt and powerful cartel — and the system that failed him — and Moon Chae-won as an army judge who has her own bone to pick with the legal system, this could make for a really thrilling ride. Add explosions. Add the cat-and-mouse dynamic. Add a subtle love line and/or the emotionally-connected teamwork like we saw in Adamas. And most importantly, add Park Hoon as one of your baddies. He’s been on my radar since Memories of the Alhambra and is woefully under-appreciated, so here’s hoping he shines in Payback, along with the rest of our cast.

TL;DR: Lee Seon-kyun and Moon Chae-won join forces to take down Evil Corruption

Meta bonus: Rookie Kang Yoo-seok also joins the main cast, and I thought he looked cute familiar — he’s half of the evil twin hacker duo in Start-Up!

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/01/premiere-watch-payback-agency/

@larus can you tell me where this show is being shown because I can't find it in Viki and Netflix. thanks so much. This a show I would like to watch

• Like 3

1 hour ago, the_sweetroad said:

@lila21 Do you have Amazon Prime? It’s being shown there in certain regions. If not, let me know and I’ll message you more info.

Thanks, chingu! I did not know where is being shown except for SBS.

• Like 2