[Drama 2023] Payback/Law Money, 법쩐

larus

The Youtube link to the official behind-the-scenes video doesn't work for me, but here's a shorter clip. I was wondering if LSK had really grown a mustache for the Mongolian scenes, but no, it's all fake. Still trying to find time to watch episode 2.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Payback: Episodes 1-2

by SugarSnow

Payback sets the stage nicely for a proper revenge story fighting back against the greedy and immoral. As our characters’ paths are set to intersect, the fight is right around the corner and it’s guaranteed to get messy.

EPISODES 1-2 WEECAP

To start our premiere week, we’re introduced to EUN YONG (Lee Seon-kyun) as he rides a horse around the fields of Mongolia planting red flags to mark the land that he just bought. We then flash back to 1990, where we see our main character being released from a juvenile center (younger Eun Yong played by Yoon Jung-il). Outside of the juvy center, he meets KIM SEONG-TAE (Lee Gun-myung), a shady man who works in construction. With word getting out that Yong can hold his own in a fight, the man gives Yong his card, telling him to contact him if he ever needs a job. Yong hands back the card and recites the number on it as he has already memorized it. Here is where we learn that Yong is gifted when it comes to numbers.

After surviving off of hospital food for a night or two, Yong meets with his sister, EUN JI-HEE (Seo Jung-yeon) who has a son that Yong is fond of – his name JANG TAE-CHOON (later played by Kang Yoo-seok.) While spending time with him, Yong finds out that Tae-choon loves to read books, so he promises to get him the books he wants to read at home. After being at his sister’s place that night and seeing how run-down it is, Yong becomes determined to make money and support his family.

Fast forward eight years to 1998, where Yong has been a part of a gang for several years. Riding a bus, we see Yong and other gang members prepare for a fight at a construction site. After a huge brawl and a sweet showcase of Yong’s fighting skills, a man by the name of MYUNG IN-JOO (Kim Hong-pa) approaches him to offer him a better job. Yong accepts, not realizing he’s walking straight into the palm of the devil.

With the opportunity given to him by In-joo, Yong is able to earn a lot more money and doesn’t have to fight for it anymore either – literally. With the money he has earned working for In-joo, he buys his sister and Tae-choon a nicer place just as he promised. Here, the story transitions from Yong’s perspective to Tae-choon’s, and we see that Ji-hee opens her own bar but soon falls into the habit of coming home drunk every morning after being out all night. While this is happening, Tae-choon is working his butt off to pass the bar exam to be a prosecutor.

In the present, Tae-choon has finally made all of his hard work pay off. As a rookie prosecutor, he is feeling underwhelmed with the cases he is assigned by Chief Prosecutor PARK JUNG-SOO (Choi Min-chul) and he desperately wants to join the Special Investigations team, led by the stone cold HWANG KI-SEOK (Park Hoon).

One day, on his way out for lunch, he receives an anonymous tip from a mysterious woman. Rushing inside to read over the documents he was handed, he realizes that they are linked to a company named Solar Bio and an internet-famous stock market influencer who calls himself RAMBO. Needing help deciphering the documents, he finds Investigator NAM SANG-IL (Choi Deok-moon) to ask for help. Sang-il tells him that he was always suspicious of Rambo when he worked in the Special Investigations unit, but he was never able to move forward with an investigation because of the lead prosecutor on the case — that prosecutor being none other than Gi-seok. Things are tying together real quick.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/01/payback-episodes-1-2/

• Like 6

6 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

The Youtube link to the official behind-the-scenes video doesn't work for me, but here's a shorter clip. I was wondering if LSK had really grown a mustache for the Mongolian scenes, but no, it's all fake. Still trying to find time to watch episode 2.

The YouTube links don’t work for me, either, as SBS Catch hasn’t made them available in this region. :tears: Grateful for those who’ve posted the videos on Twitter! 

That’s a lot of hair that LSK had to put on in the summer in Mongolia. :lol:

Hope you can watch episode 2 soon; it’s a good one!

• Like 3

EVENT: Soompi Forums Awards: The Best Daily/Weekend Dramas, C-Dramas and Best of the Rest of KDramas of 2022 - Poll #2

kdr7sTk.gif

Vote for the Best Daily, CDramas and Rest of Kdramas of 2022 here. 2022 was again a year full of dramas, and here's your chance to show which ones you liked the best! 

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @agenth @confusedheart @Sleepy Owl

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

Soompi Forum Awards: Poll #3 - The Most Memorable Characters, The Worst Drama Endings, The Most 'Too Stupid to Live' (TSTL) Characters of 2022.

kdr7sTk.gif

Dear Chingus, Vote for the Most Memorable Characters, The Worst Drama Endings, The Most 'Too Stupid to Live' (TSTL) Characters of 2022!

re: Your  friendly, neighbourhood EO Team: 

@confusedheart @partyon @agenth and @Sleepy Owl

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 7:58 AM, the_sweetroad said:

Hope you can watch episode 2 soon; it’s a good one!

Hopefully tonight. I had to rewatch episode 1 with a certain someone to get him up to speed so we can watch together starting ep 2. Glad I did because in my first watch I had a hard time keeping up with all the names and titles and relationships. Now it all makes sense and I could see how packed the first episode is. Yet at the same time, to someone not interested in all the corporate/legal shenanigans, I can understand why it may feel slow. 

Did my ears trick me or is the song "A Million Roses" (a nod to My Mister perhaps) playing in the restaurant scene where Tae Chun's mom gets drunk? When he puts her in bed in her drunk condition, does she call out "Sung Tae?" Isn't this the name of the leader of the thugs? Is there a relationsip to be revealed later? I wonder how much more she will come into play later in the drama.

So it looks like LSK stores his fancy car and clothes in a nearby town because wherever it is, he can get reach it by riding his horse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

Did my ears trick me or is the song "A Million Roses" (a nod to My Mister perhaps) playing in the restaurant scene where Tae Chun's mom gets drunk?

Oh interesting. I went back and listened, but I can't tell if it's "A Million Roses" or not. It sounds similar though.

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

When he puts her in bed in her drunk condition, does she call out "Sung Tae?" Isn't this the name of the leader of the thugs? Is there a relationsip to be revealed later?

I had that same question when I first watched that scene. The thug leader's name is Kim Sung Tae, and it does seem like they intentionally put in her saying his name. If was the madame of her own place and if she was involved with Sung Tae, I wonder how deep she got into the corrupt underworld herself.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

I had that same question when I first watched that scene. The thug leader's name is Kim Sung Tae, and it does seem like they intentionally put in her saying his name. If was the madame of her own place and if she was involved with Sung Tae, I wonder how deep she got into the corrupt underworld herself.

What if he is the father of Tae Chun? :o

I hate that they keep throwing these stupid tropes at us. <_<

• LOL 4

15 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

interesting... I wondered that too, her involvement with Sung Tae, hmmm twisters already

• Like 2

Pierce Conran is a journalist who is extremely immersed in the Korean movie industry and has written innumerable reviews on Korean movies and tv shows. Here's his thought on the first two episodes:

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/k-pop/k-drama/article/3206387/amazon-k-drama-payback-money-and-power-parasites-lee-sun-kyun-form-spirited-crime-thriller

• Like 2

Moon Chae Won, Lee Sun Gyun, And Kang You Seok Team Up For Revenge In “Payback”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Jan 13, 2023
by S. Kim

“Payback” has shared a sneak peek of three-way meeting between Lee Sun Gyun, Moon Chae Won, and Kang You Seok!

SBS’s “Payback” tells the revenge story of those who risk everything to fight a money cartel that has colluded with the law. The drama gives viewers both thrills and catharsis through its portrayal of those who refuse to remain silent as they fight against incompetent and unjust authority in their own way. Lee Sun Gyun stars as reclusive money dealer Eun Yong, and Moon Chae Won stars as Army Major Park Joon Kyung, an elite judicial officer.

Spoilers

Previously in “Payback,” Eun Yong responded to the desperate call of Park Joon Kyung, who was like a sister to Eun Yong, and his nephew Jang Tae Choon (Kang You Seok), gearing up for payback while risking everything he has.

In the newly released stills, Eun Yong, Park Joon Kyung, and Jang Tae Choon gather at Eun Yong’s luxurious penthouse. As soon as Jang Tae Choon meets his senior prosecutor Park Joon Kyung, he greets her politely, but for some reason, Park Joon Kyung throws him a cold gaze.

payback_02.jpg

In the next still, Park Joon Kyung throws a question to Jang Tae Choon which immediately makes him sweat, raising tension in the room.

Spoiler

payback_01.jpg

Eun Yong quietly watches the two argue with his arms crossed in a relaxed manner.

payback_06.jpg

Viewers are curious to find out why Park Joon Kyung looks at Eun Yong’s nephew Jang Tae Choon coldly and whether the three will be able to become one team to achieve revenge.

Spoiler

payback_04.jpg

The production team remarked, “From episode 3 onwards, Lee Sun Gyun, Moon Chae Won, and Kang You Seok will appear together in earnest. We were satisfied and admired the extraordinary chemistry between the three actors. Please look forward to how the three will complete the revenge story both individually and as a team.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1562767wpp/moon-chae-won-lee-sun-gyun-and-kang-you-seok-team-up-for-revenge-in-payback

• Like 4

13 hours ago, widala said:

I still can't link YouTube or twitter on a post :sweatingbullets:

That's too bad :(. Sometimes random YouTube videos won't post for me - there's an error message that an Emoji has been used. But other YT videos post just fine. With Twitter, I just copy and paste the link. Maybe report the problems to the moderators and see if they have any advice? I for one would love to see more of your tweets here! :wub:

15 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

This has got to be the first drama in which the words "because I love you" are used in the familial sense. 

The tropes are killing you. :joy: Hopefully they pay off and SBS's relationship chart was a lie.

There's Eun Yong with a lollipop again! I wonder if there will be a Chupa Chup in every pair of episodes.

BTW the way they're styling LSK reminds me of Brad Pitt from the Ocean's 11 movies, and how they purposely made Brad Pitt's wardrobe shiny:

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3rd episode, at first, I was little scared for the prosecutor Jang Tae Jun, that he is a newbie young prosecutor who can be easily manipulated by Prosecutor Hwang but It seems that JTJ is more wily than I thought since he was the one who sent a ledger to Eun Yong who stole money from his former boss. However, MIJ, the former boss of Eun Yong whom he stole from, got info that Prosecutor JTJ is the nephew of Eun Yong. Prosecutor PJK is a straight shooter and she knows the background of EY. It would be interesting to see if and how the team of EY, PJK and JTJ will work together to go against the big money business manipulators, politicians and their own justice system. I love the last scene of EY on the ledge of the high building and offering his hand to his nephew JTJ to come up the ledge. Will JTJ take up the offer?

• Like 4