[Drama 2023] Payback/Law Money, 법쩐

larus

img.gif

Spoiler

img.gif

img.gif

:Pandabulous:

img.gif

“Payback” tells about people who refuse to stay silent in front of incompetent and unjust power and risk everything to fight the money cartel that colluded with the law in their own way.

Introducing thrilling and interesting stories from the beginning with the performances of two lead actors, who have already been recognized for their solid acting skills, “Payback” successfully gained favorable reviews. While Moon Chae Won once again impressed viewers with her stable character expressions, Lee Sun Kyun surprised everyone with his “crazy” acting.

Lee Sun Kyun, who is best known for his appearance in the Oscar-winning movie “Parasite”, showcases a new image through his portrayal of Eun Yong.

Since “Payback” chooses a rather complicated material about laws and has no love line, it is not viral like other works. However, its stable rating performance proves that the drama has secured a good amount of solid fans.

C. Kbizoom.com

____

Spoiler

• Like 5

Ep 4 Will Boss Myung really believe that EY is dead when he was told that his boy Jin Ho is in the hospital in a coma after it was reported to him by Jin Ho that EY was dead and buried? Seems Boss Myung's gangster antenna is telling him that something is off. He should worry, after all, it is EY who had the guts to foul up his plans. Will this be a cat and mouse between Myung and EY? In the meantime, they did a sting operation on Prosecutor Hwang's staff by getting one of the staff in his office to accept a bribe for giving the copies of patents that was taken from Ms Hong's company which Boss Myung was going to sell to some poor far east country. But what does have to do with Prosecutor Hwang? Does PJK have enough fire power or evidence to fight Prosecutor Hwang with? I also think with these moves Boss Myung will strongly suspect that EY is not goner as he thought.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

I agree, sometimes the villains seem so clever and powerful, and for the good guys it's much more uncertain whether they'll survive! In the case of this episode, I see things just slightly differently - it's because there's a goodness in Eun Yong that he paid for Jin Ho's grandmother's hospital bills and helped take care of her while Jin Ho was in jail. In that way Eun Yong is different from Chairman Myung, who would simply put his own people in jail and screw them over (like he screwed over Eun Yong before EY left Korea). Jin Ho, being honorable in some things, saved Eun Yong as we saw. It was lucky that Jin Ho was in charge of disposing of Eun Yong, but I'm glad Eun Yong had shown kindness to JH that JH wanted to repay.

Good point!

I guess there's honor among thieves after all :D

11 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

And I think it was pretty clever of a disoriented, drugged-up Eun Yong to take the wheel and cause an accident. Though, after thinking about it that was also pretty gray for me - what if he had actually killed Jin Ho?

It's very interesting to see how dirty EY is willing to fight. He has boundaries but I'm sure he didn't get his wealth being a goody two shoes.

Even since young age, he chose to be a thug rather than honest job offered by CEO Yoon, because he'll get more money.

So, I think he's always been a gray character.

But, the one person I actually worry about is Park Joon Kyung.

She seems so hell bent on getting revenge, she's not afraid to sacrifice everything she has. I just hope she doesn't end up hurting the people around her.

New still cuts!

• Like 3

Hey chingus here! I watched  all four episdes. I'm not  exactlyed wowed by the drama but it's good and solid so far. in political money revenge.  Perhaps I was looking  revenge style with a sort twist type like...Heartless City.

And of course... we knew Eun Young depsite being buried alive in dirt.. will not be dead. surely.. I knew the juvie best will save him already - watching too many kdrama I had that thought.  Juvie friend paid back what he owed to Eun Yong when  hospital bills were paid and taken care of...hence the save and story continues.

I love actors in this drama!

I'm happy to see MCW in a drama again! :wub:

Park Hoon! if you follow this thread and see comment page 3 you'd know I watch most of his dramas ( but not DOTS and Haechi!) because he's good character actor! (Watched hiim as pycho in Nobody knows.. I think I said give him an award).

LSK-From White Tower to Coffee Prince to Triple To Pasta.. and My  Mister/My Ahjussi!

I like the  confontation scenes between MCW and PH characters! it's tense.

Waiting for ep 5...

• Like 3

On 1/15/2023 at 4:48 PM, the_sweetroad said:

- The scene between Chairman Oh and Chairman Myung was a bit confusing/ eye-opening. Were we supposed to believe that Chairman Oh is actually the head honcho, and that Chairman Myung is serving him? I had always thought Chairman Oh was one of Myung's pawns in high places.

Chairman Myung is a chameleon, and Chairman Oh is arrogant and pompous because he thinks he is the "bank", has relationships to politicians. But that could be dangerous for him since Myung worships only money. It seems one of EY's goal is to have Chairman Oh and Chairman Myung distrust and fight against each other?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jongski said:

LSK-From White Tower to Coffee Prince to Triple To Pasta.. and My  Mister/My Ahjussi!

You mentioned Triple in one of the event threads earlier and I watched it because of that! The show was kind of weird, though. It was such a love spider web! FL falls in love with her stepbrother who might be trying to get back together with his ex-wife, but his own roommate is friendly-stalking his ex-wife and she can't run away or ignore the roommate. Then the stepbrother develops feelings for his little stepsister, but they know it can't go anywhere. And all the while, LSK is obsessing over someone who says to him, "I'll treat you like a wife would but I don't want to get married." I watched it to the end but thought it all a bit unhealthy and insane. :joy: But the cast all did a good job with what they had.

1 hour ago, jongski said:

I like the  confontation scenes between MCW and PH characters! it's tense.

Their history was a surprise - I didn't anticipate that Park Hoon had been so involved in the mom's downfall. For some reason I had thought that just Chairman Myung was involved back then. So we know that there's reason for MCW to take down PH as well.

7 hours ago, widala said:

Even since young age, he chose to be a thug rather than honest job offered by CEO Yoon, because he'll get more money.

I forgot about that! CEO Yoon actually offered Eun Yong a job at Bluenet and he turned it down? I need to go back and watch.

14 hours ago, lila21 said:

In the meantime, they did a sting operation on Prosecutor Hwang's staff by getting one of the staff in his office to accept a bribe for giving the copies of patents that was taken from Ms Hong's company which Boss Myung was going to sell to some poor far east country. But what does have to do with Prosecutor Hwang? Does PJK have enough fire power or evidence to fight Prosecutor Hwang with?

If memory serves, I don't think Hwang is directly involved in the patent papers bribe. Instead, PJK is going to go after Hwang for what he did in the past, making a corrupt deal with herself to indict General Son for bribery and financial crimes. I *think* Hwang and PJK kept CEO Yoon out of jail that way. So PJK is confessing to being an accomplice herself, and she's going to take down Hwang with her. Someone please correct this if it's wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2023 at 4:19 PM, sadiesmith said:

Watched episode 4 and really enjoyed all the action sequences. But I also realized I can't keep up with all the details unless I go back and watch again. We're introduced to even more characters, one of them being Hwang Ki-seok's wife. Judging from her reaction to being told Eun Yong is back in the country, I suspect something did happen between the two back in the days.

I was wondering that too, because as soon as Hwang mentioned Eun Yong's name she immediately perked up and asked if Eun Yong returned to Korea, looking like she is more interested in knowing if Eun Yong is back in the country rather than what her husband was complaining about. Hwang asks if she knows EY and wifey says he is toxic but her face says she approves with the smile in her eyes. Yep, Hwang has more to worry about other than losing his job.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Lot of things in the show are quite ridiculous. He left korea because of corrupt people and made money abroad, so fine, but given how he is calling them a family and needlessly jumping into lengthy revenge it is quite ironic that for no reason for a whole decade he kept no contact with that 'family', nor even bothered reading her emails. Also in a scene he says he likes to go ahead for this revenge for just some random reason, like this guy has too much time to waste, not like he is fighting for civilians.

Then comes chairman myung, it's funny how 10 years back he got him screwed over badly and he couldn't do anything, it's funny how even now myung doesn't take his existence more than that of a pest that he casually sends people to kill him. Now what is so annoying about him is that he is a pathetically poor planner who wants revenge on big fish without any prep, so he destroyed that lady from the market, like no protection provided for people of his camp this is how reckless he is. I wish jin ho had burried him there and not rescued as he deserved it firstly for causing that loan shark woman so much harm, secondly, being so ill prepared to be cornered like this. The drama really needs a better male lead written, this guy is bad at basic level.

Now female lead, she screwed over mom royally and now she wears a stern extremely wronged by the world face and acts like a constant victim, no sympathies for her as she was doing things illegally and was so dumb to fall into such plot. Really can't believe after comitting crime she has guts to shame nephew and call him names on his profession, like he really needs to put this criminal lady in her place first. And eun young is fighting for all this rubbish. And she is inept she can't even take revenge on the villains herself so she drags eun young into this fight through indirect call and then she tells him she will fight alone, she can do it alone and how even his family will be her enemies, like does she have some memory issues too.

On 1/17/2023 at 4:14 AM, lila21 said:

Ep 4 Will Boss Myung really believe that EY is dead when he was told that his boy Jin Ho is in the hospital in a coma after it was reported to him by Jin Ho that EY was dead and buried? Seems Boss Myung's gangster antenna is telling him that something is off. He should worry, after all, it is EY who had the guts to foul up his plans. Will this be a cat and mouse between Myung and EY? In the meantime, they did a sting operation on Prosecutor Hwang's staff by getting one of the staff in his office to accept a bribe for giving the copies of patents that was taken from Ms Hong's company which Boss Myung was going to sell to some poor far east country. But what does have to do with Prosecutor Hwang? Does PJK have enough fire power or evidence to fight Prosecutor Hwang with? I also think with these moves Boss Myung will strongly suspect that EY is not goner as he thought.

I think Prosecutor Hwang's wife is the wild card that will play an important role to bring him down.  I got this impression in the scene where she and Hwang were together.  There seems to be something off in their relationship despite her showing him some affection.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Shimmery-summer said:

Lot of things in the show are quite ridiculous.

I don't disagree, but for a show like this that is more thriller and action oriented, I try not to analyze too deeply if I want to have any enjoyment in my watch. I confess I am here for LSK, so I'll stay till the end. Fortunately for me, it has been an entertaining, if not deeply affecting, watch so far. Are there aspects of the show you do enjoy? I am curious, what attracted you to this show in the beginning?

• Like 3

More characters to appear soon:

Actor Shin Moon-seong as a prison guard? I am not sure I read it correctly.

https://m.wowtv.co.kr/NewsCenter/News/Read?articleId=A202301180255#_enliple

Choi Jeong-in as a senior prosecutor who is approached by PJK and will have a relationship with Eun Yong. What kind of relationship? I wish the show would throw in a fling, an affair, or something to spice things up a bit. I don't care if it's Eun Yong with PJK, Hwang Ki-seok's wife, Hong Hanna, or this new prosecutor lady. Just give me something to cut through the dryness.

https://sports.khan.co.kr/entertainment/sk_index.html?art_id=202301180910013&sec_id=540201

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

35 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

What kind of relationship? I wish the show would throw in a fling, an affair, or something to spice things up a bit. I don't care if it's Eun Yong with PJK, Hwang Ki-seok's wife, Hong Hanna, or this new prosecutor lady. Just give me something to cut through the dryness.

What if they surprise us with a wife and child left behind in Mongolia? :lol:

• Unamused 1
  • LOL 1

Payback: Episodes 3-4

by SugarSnow

PaybackEp4-00011.jpg

Our team is slowly coming together but with every attempt to gain leverage, the wall to climb is looking steeper and steeper. Despite the setbacks, they stand strong and are far from giving up, as things might take a turn in their favor moving forward.

EPISODES 3-4 WEECAP

Sucking us right back in, we see the reunion between Yong and Jun-kyung. After Yong apologizes to Jun-kyung, we flash back to see Yong and Jun-kyung eating together at a pojangmacha in 2003. Yong is preparing to move abroad to make money and Jun-kyung is getting started with her job as a prosecutor. Yong gifts her a celebratory pen for her accomplishments and the two clash drinks before their split.

Fast forward to 2010, we see how Jun-kyung dealt with the wrongful conviction of her mother. Seeing Hye-rin being questioned for a crime she didn’t commit enrages Jun-kyung and she storms in to accuse Ki-seok of his wrong-doings when he calmly tells her Hye-rin’s fate falls on her. Jun-kyung ends up taking a deal for her mother’s sake and fabricates evidence for Ki-seok. While Hye-rin is found not guilty in her trial, a forgery of documents charge is pinned on Jun-kyung. We get to see the full story of Hye-rin’s death in the flashback. Her last message was sent to Minister Son, moments before running her car off the cliff, telling him that she was the one who forged the documents, taking the fall for Jun-kyung.

Payback: Episodes 3-4

Back in the present, Tae-choon is sent to see Ki-seok. They head down to the first floor and are bombarded by the press after Assemblyman Baek has labeled their investigation of his son vindictive. Responding to the press, Ki-seok puts all the responsibility on Tae-choon’s shoulders, defending his diligent work in the process. He nudges Tae-choon to give his reason for the investigation and he does so, stating how he just wants to do everything he can to help his country.

As billboards everywhere show footage of Tae-choon responding to the press, he thinks back to when he was younger in high school. Talking with a teacher who consistently made rude remarks about Tae-choon’s mom, Tae-choon let his anger get the best of him. As the teacher abused his power and began slapping Tae-choon repetitively, Tae-choon waited until other teachers were holding the abuser back to beat him down with a chair. After getting arrested for the incident, Tae-choon is bailed out by none other than his Uncle Yong.

In the present, we find out that Tae-choon’s mom has alcoholic dementia and can barely remember who he is. Yong shows up, surprising Tae-choon and flipping the dreary atmosphere on its head.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/01/payback-episodes-3-4/

• Like 3

13 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I don't disagree, but for a show like this that is more thriller and action oriented, I try not to analyze too deeply if I want to have any enjoyment in my watch. I confess I am here for LSK, so I'll stay till the end. Fortunately for me, it has been an entertaining, if not deeply affecting, watch so far. Are there aspects of the show you do enjoy? I am curious, what attracted you to this show in the beginning?

For lsk and hwang is cool too as well as nephew.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Choi Jeong-in as a senior prosecutor who is approached by PJK and will have a relationship with Eun Yong. What kind of relationship? I wish the show would throw in a fling, an affair, or something to spice things up a bit. I don't care if it's Eun Yong with PJK, Hwang Ki-seok's wife, Hong Hanna, or this new prosecutor lady. Just give me something to cut through the dryness.

I vote for Eun Yong with Hwang Ki Seok's wife... just to provoke Hwang and Myung...

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

4 hours ago, lila21 said:

I vote for Eun Yong with Hwang Ki Seok's wife... just to provoke Hwang and Myung...

You do know how to pick the spiciest flavor. :P Earlier I was hoping for a love line with PJK, but now I think that may be too bland. She seems mismatched against his wild energy at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Love 1