[Drama 2023] Payback/Law Money, 법쩐

larus

6 hours ago, Shimmery-summer said:

But all in all fun show. Watch it you would love it. But did they come back to 2022 timeline or they were still in 2014. If it's still 2014 then expect season 2. Don't want pjk and hwang to be back. Hwang was the lamsest villain ever though actor was amazing but he was so lame

Wow, @Shimmery-summer! I am pleased to hear that you liked it overall. :D I enjoyed reading your honest opinions even though I disagreed with some of them. Yes, I think the show didn't go past 2014. Very curious, but it makes sense if they were leaving room for season 2. 

On 2/14/2023 at 2:47 PM, the_sweetroad said:

One thing I wished we could have seen toward the end was the actual climax of some of the scenes. For example, Chief Prosecutor Lee struggled a bunch in the interrogation room over whether to confess, and then they cut to PJK announcing to Myung that Lee had confessed. We didn't actually get the payoff of Lee's emotional angst, just an announcement of the result. I think things like that happened a couple times, where we got a voiceover or a flash to the next scene. It would have upped the dramatic tension and catharsis to have actually seen some of the scenes to the end.

I agree. It was like the umbrella scene. We didn't get to see PJK's reaction to meeting EY again after 10 long years and not having his support during the lowest point in her life. 

I am looking forward to a rewatch and enjoying some of the action scenes again. My favorite episode is the one with the prison fight, coincidentally also LSK's favorite scene. 

Does anyone know how much the Korean audience liked the show overall? Most comments I saw on Youtube were not favorable. 

On 2/14/2023 at 2:47 PM, the_sweetroad said:

BUT I guess that's how families are, too - sometimes people just go their separate ways for their everyday lives but can be there for each other during the intense, significant moments. But to be honest something about him being/ choosing to be isolated and remote again felt off to me. Who knows, though, with EY being the CEO of Bluenet - maybe he'll come back to Korea more often.

If he's one to learn from his past mistakes (he said something to this effect, right?), he will have to stay much more connected this time. Someone wrote a fic that speaks to this issue. :) 

https://archiveofourown.org/works/44795599

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

10 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I am pleased to hear that you liked it overall. :D I enjoyed reading your honest opinions even though I disagreed with some of them. Yes, I think the show didn't go past 2014. Very curious, but it makes sense if they were leaving room for season 2. 

Yes it was good barring few things. 

10 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Does anyone know how much the Korean audience liked the show overall? Most comments I saw on Youtube were not favorable. 

I saw ratings on wikipedia they looked good, like 10 or 11, I think show was a success.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I agree. It was like the umbrella scene. We didn't get to see PJK's reaction to meeting EY again after 10 long years and not having his support during the lowest point in her life. 

Ah, I didn't even think about that one! Yes, that's a great example of an emotional payoff that could have been there, but they cut the scene too early. Sounds like we should invite the AO3 writer to do a fanfic on that scene :).

14 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

If he's one to learn from his past mistakes (he said something to this effect, right?), he will have to stay much more connected this time. Someone wrote a fic that speaks to this issue. :) 

https://archiveofourown.org/works/44795599

I just read these last night and thoroughly enjoyed them. I'm so used to reading fanfic of Park Dong Hoon, though, that Eun-Yong-in-fanfic felt out of character. Haha.

Let us know when you do a rewatch, and if you get a chance let us know what else you notice. B)

• Like 1

A very positive review of the show:

https://dryedmangoez.com/2023/02/17/good-ol-review-excellent-cast-sbs-payback-thoroughly-engaging-drama/

SBS’ Payback (법쩐/Law Money is a thoroughly engrossing series. Its fast-paced and careful storytelling effectively lay out the stakes in this drama that fuses together familiar K-drama elements of law, corruption and revenge. But it is having family and relationships at the forefront and as a centerpiece of the narrative that allows for dynamic character-driven twists and turns. All brought to life by an excellent ensemble cast and a slightly gritty, though polished production.

Overall, Payback is an excellent series to start off 2023 with. Its tight storytelling allows for a fast-paced and thoroughly engaging time. Being focused and avoiding unnecessary distractions allows for the story to seamlessly unfold. And that in turn allows for an excellent cast to bring interesting characters to vivid life for a truly character-driven narrative. I have no doubt Payback will be on my year-end favorites list. And it’s only February!

• Like 1

I have 30 min left, but overall I liked the drama.  Someone mentioned my favorite scene-Jin ho sacrificing his life for the ledger.  My favorite character was Prosecutor Hwang; I found him evil, yet kinda sexy :joy:.  My least favorite was MCW; I like her as an actress, but I didn't like the character.  My other criticism is that the scenes are literally dark.  I don't know if this is some sort of a weird trend, but I'm watching another drama that is too light.  It's different if it was before the invention of electricity.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CarolynH said:

Someone mentioned my favorite scene-Jin ho sacrificing his life for the ledger.  My favorite character was Prosecutor Hwang; I found him evil, yet kinda sexy :joy:

The scene with Jin Ho was one of my favorites, too. That he wanted to go in alone and that he remembered how much Eun Yong was like family tugs at the heartstrings. It also made me sad he and EY never saw each other one last time. Guess I’m repeating what I may have said before. :lol:

And Hwang surprised me, too, with how much his story and emotions drew me in. He was mesmerizing. :D

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
by lo_ve, December 28, 2023
19  24

The cast of the thriller mystery K-drama Payback: Money and Power will not participate in the upcoming SBS Drama Awards.

On December 28, SBS announced that it would be difficult for the cast of Payback: Money and Power to attend the upcoming SBS Drama Awards due to the sudden news that happened in the industry. This is with the passing of actor Lee Sun Kyun who was the main character of the K-drama. 

Payback: Money and Power was one of the most successful SBS K-dramas for this year. The K-drama was the third highest rating K-drama for 2023 after Taxi Driver Season 2 and Dr. Romantic Season 3. The K-drama received the maximum viewership rating of 11.4%. 

The K-drama aired from January to February 2023. It was led by Lee Sun Kyun, Moon Chae Won, Kang Yoo Seok, Park Hoon, Kim Hong Pa, and Lee Gi Young

Actress Moon Chae Won already stated that she would not be participating in the awards show even before the incident happened. Meanwhile, other casts of the K-drama such as Kang Yoo Seok and Park Hoon were supposed to attend the ceremony but have decided to no longer participate in respect to Lee Sun Kyun's passing. 

The SBS Drama Awards will be held without the Payback: Money and Power team. It was also reported that the actors that will be attending the event are currently rearranging their outfits for the ceremony into black to express their condolences to the deceased.

rNbqw2_2f.png

Meanwhile, many are already anticipating the upcoming 2023 SBS Drama Awards because of the outstanding candidates for the grand prize. SBS recently announced that actors Lee Je Hoon for Taxi Driver Season 2, Han Seok Kyu for Dr. Romantic Season 3, Kim Tae Ri for Revenant, and Kim Rae Won for The First Responders Season 2 are nominated for the grand prize.

All four SBS K-dramas were not only highly rated but it was popular among local and international viewers.

The 2023 SBS Drama Awards will be held on December 29, Friday and the live broadcast will begin at 8:40 PM KST.

https://mydramalist.com/article/cast-of-payback-money-and-power-to-not-attend-sbs-drama-awards

‘The Law’ Moon Chae-won wins the best acting award in the miniseries genre/action female category!

• Like 1