[Drama 2022] A Secret House, 비밀의 집

0ly40

@Lmangla  Remember when you said Ji Hwan and Ji Hong had no chemistry.  The lack of sparks that are usually there with ML and FL , I don’t think SPARKS was required for this drama.  ML needed a down to earth kind of love , someone that is dependable and someone who love for him will be for an eternity. In the ending I felt the love between them because Ji Hwan is finally at peace and happy. Finally able to love Ju Hong completely without anything getting in the way. TBH I think Ju Hwan may have had a Low EQ. It tooo for Ju Hong to leave for him to realize his life is nothing without her in it. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

6 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

@Lmangla  Remember when you said Ji Hwan and Ji Hong had no chemistry.  The lack of sparks that are usually there with ML and FL , I don’t think SPARKS was required for this drama.  ML needed a down to earth kind of love , someone that is dependable and someone who love for him will be for an eternity. In the ending I felt the love between them because Ji Hwan is finally at peace and happy. Finally able to love Ju Hong completely without anything getting in the way. TBH I think Ju Hwan may have had a Low EQ. It tooo for Ju Hong to leave for him to realize his life is nothing without her in it. 

kekeke.... it remained the same -- no chemistry. :lol:  I was expecting an open ending and would have preferred if all 3 had set off on their own paths. tae hee and ji hwan had a kind of interesting vibe even though we knew it would never pan out. the star of the show was the evil omma though. anyway, on to the next daily! 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Penning my last thought after watching the subbed episode.

Overall, the ending was very good and everyone has his/her deserved ending as I pretty much expected:

Ham Sook Jin - the unrepentant villain (similar to Cha Hwa Young), who prefer to commit suicide rather than serving her time. Thankfully, Ji Hwan prevented her from doing that and rebuked her for only thinking about herself. True enough, she never repented even after being served the life sentence without parole! A well-deserved ending for her, rotting in jail until she die!

Nam Tae Hyung - dead but he donated his kidney to Sol. Even in his death-bed, he refused to acknowledge Sol and asked her to keep quiet when they were placed side-by-side. Sol later paid her last respect to her real dad and even said "Thank you for having me". Wow!

Nam Tae Hee - she apologized formally to Baek Ju Hong and got 8 months of jail time. She completed that without fuss and opened a flower shop. She even paid a regular visit to her mom, even though the evil Omma resented her.

Nam Ji Hwan - a happy ending for him & Baek Ju Hong (after a 1 year time jump). WIDE also has a successful collaboration with A-market, especially with Annie Brown now officially taking the place of Min Young to please An Kyung Sun, shuttling to and from the US to also maintain her relations with Sol.

Baek Ju Hong - she was away for one year, serving as a volunteer doctor in some island, and she was still not sure whether she should get back together with Ji Hwan. But I think Ji Hwan convinced her! Her mom is also doing well!

Heo Jin Ho - he has also officially joined WIDE as the Chief Secretary for Ji Hwan, a well-deserved one for him having done the detective work for his Hyung for almost the entire serial.

Nurse Yoo - no news of the eventual jail sentence.

Chairman Nam - no significant presence in the last episode. 

The viewership number also hit the highest record in the last episode (1.418m viewers, with a rating of 7.6%). So, it ends well for this daily drama, even higher than the Second Husband's last episode of 1.383m! 

• Like 5

I'm sure many of us here had hoped for happy ending & voila it was perfect! So happy for Ji Hwan now that his struggles to put Ham in jail was well worth his while! I also never expected that he will be the one to save evil Ham, however there's a valid reason for that, we all know he wanted justice for all the crimes she & her son had inflicted on many people esp Ji Hwan's mom! Boy evil Ham really has a heart of stone she really didn't soften to Tae hee for girl...but it's nice that she seems to have moved on and opened her own business! Well Ji hwan and Ji hong deserve to be happy together! Oh that scene with Sol having to say few words to her bio father was very touching but even in his last breath NMT was still relentless in every sense of the word, ironically he waited until he's dying to donate his liver to his own daughter! He's really like his mother, they both have a heart of stone! Ham was not regretful of what she's done, can you believe that?

I'm also glad that Jin ho who was Ji hwan's supporter & the Sherlock Holmes if you will in solving many of the ins/outs relevant to Ham & her son is now the Chief Secretary to Ji hwan woah that's great! I also liked him in this drama, great actor along with others!

Not sure we all saw the nurse in the courtroom sitting beside evil Ham but I guess she probably got a lighter sentence in all this!

I can't believe 124 episodes finally ended! It's nice to see the rating also went well!

See you guys in whatever Kdrama will follow next! :)

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

So... I lied. :lol: I did not watch the last 5 episodes but I did read the recaps posted here by @Newbie21SG. With that, I was able to watch the final episode.

Overall, this was a good ending for this drama. I have to say, I enjoyed this daily. It's probably one of the few dailies I've enjoyed in the past 2 years. I know, I know. I'm a daily drama addict. But this had all the right ingredients, aside from the one-note main villain that was HSJ. And I did like Annie Brown/Woo Ha-Young. MBC is really stepping their game up with daily dramas since SBS got rid of them. (I'm still not over how "I Trusted Him" [2011] was canceled after 65 episodes. But screw you, Phoenix 2020, for ruining the SBS daily drama slot!)

You know what I honestly wanted to happen? I oddly wanted Tae-Hee and Ji-Hwan to end up together. Part of me felt like Tae-Hee wasn't even bad from the start. Kinda like Mysterious Personal Shopper where the 2nd FL wasn't evil, just a victim of abuse. But nooooo, dailies need a bad jealous female even in a drama with a male lead! I'm kinda over it, honestly. I liked how Tae-Hee redeemed herself. Nice open ending for Ju-Hong, who I grew to love, and Ji-Hwan... not so much. I felt like he was kinda bland. And that RickRoll'D Tae-Hyung? Bleep. Him. I DESPISED that man. I was happy when he died. The actor did a great job of making me hate his character. I feel bad for AKS, who still clearly hasn't gotten her memories back and never will, because of the dementia/Alzheimer's. I'm still wondering what happened to Grandpa Nam. Nice touch of Jin-Ho the chief secretary. Poor Secretary Yang, what a tragic ending. At least Tae-Hee is living in peace like he wanted her to...

Thanks for the GIFs, memes, discussions, polls, and opinions. See y'all in the next daily, which is "Witches Game" with my fav Korean actress, Jang Seo-Hee! Bye!

• Like 5

@chococarmela ~ was phoenix 2020 the last daily on SBS??

I also thought it would bave been interesting if tae hee and ji hwan would end up together. they just had more chemistry and also a kind of undefined mystery air about them. he seemed more alert when he was around her and not sleep walking. it was like he didn't know what to expect from her but at the same time, he cares for her and was drawn to her. even in the ending scene, when she tells him that all the past was about her choices and she is now fully okay, he just looks at her and then nods. it was like he doesn't know exactly how he feels about her and what he is supposed to do there. so yea, far more interesting. 

tae hee was this wild card and her jealously was more to do with her own family. so it was interesting how her family dynamics enveloped her to a point that it even affected her romance.. so that drama had to end in order for her to get a life of her own. so I liked that they showed that she is finally happy as she does not have to prove herself to anyone and is happy being alone -- those are huge milestones for her. so the real winner seemed to be tae hee because she was the one who really reflected what had happened in a few lines and how she has processed that.

the other characters including ji hwan and ju hong continued to be rather bland. there was no real reflection of what all this mess had meant to them and how it has affected them. so them ending up together just got a super meh from me. 

I also liked that evil omma refused to feel sorry for the choices she made -- more than love, I feel she was always living vicariously through tae hyung. that was why she was so obsessed with him. he was the son of her love and he was to do what she couldn't. so to repent, she would have to deny the dreams she had and feel they were awful. how can she? tae hee asked her if she had simple dream and evil omma kind of scoffed. that was the point -- evil omma's dreams and ambitions were always large scale and far too grandiose. she was willing to do whatever it takes to protect those dreams and that included tae hyung the vehicle of achieving them. so as always, she chose herself to the very end. fitting rather. she might feel a bit lonely and soften a bit towads tae hee but tae hyung would always be her first choice. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

8 hours ago, Lmangla said:

~ was phoenix 2020 the last daily on SBS??

It was "Amor Fati". Only watched a few episodes of it and mostly read the thread on here.

the other characters including ji hwan and ju hong continued to be rather bland. there was no real reflection of what all this mess had meant to them and how it has affected them. so them ending up together just got a super meh from me. 

I personally found Ju-Hong more interesting overall as a character than Ji-Hwan, I would've loved to see her do something else at the end than just become "Ji-Hwan's fated love he goes back to because they're soulmates!" Lazy ending for her. Didn't she and Tae-Hyung's sleep together? How about her taking care of their newborn as a widow and Ji-Hwan drops by to visit her. They reflect on the past together and a simple smile is shared. He walks away and she stares at him with the baby in her arms, thinking about what could've been. End.

so I liked that they showed that she is finally happy as she does not have to prove herself to anyone and is happy being alone -- those are huge milestones for her. so the real winner seemed to be tae hee because she was the one who really reflected what had happened in a few lines and how she has processed that.

Tae-Hee redeemed herself REALLY well. I genuinely loved that. You rarely see that in a daily.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chococarmela said:

I personally found Ju-Hong more interesting overall as a character than Ji-Hwan, I would've loved to see her do something else at the end than just become "Ji-Hwan's feted love he goes back to because they're soulmates!" Lazy ending for her. Didn't she and Tae-Hyung's sleep together? How about her taking care of their newborn as a widow and Ji-Hwan drops by to visit her. They reflect on the past together and a simple smile is shared. He walks away and she stares at him with the baby in her arms, thinking about what could've been. End.

now that is an ending I would have totally gotten behind. it actually would have suited the mood of this drama better which was overall rather bittersweet. once juhong married taehyung, ji hwan and her had a very sibling/friend type relationship with no romantic overtures. so it seemed a bit strange that once he was dead, they would go back to such feelings when it had seemed like they had both closed the chapter and were actually rather content about it. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lmangla said:

it actually would have suited the mood of this drama better which was overall rather bittersweet. once juhong married taehyung, ji hwan and her had a very sibling/friend type relationship with no romantic overtures. so it seemed a bit strange that once he was dead, they would go back to such feelings when it had seemed like they had both closed the chapter and were actually rather content about it. 

Exactly. In a way, it felt kinda forced, honestly. Didn't like that at all. This ending makes much more sense. Romance isn't always needed for a happy ending!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, chococarmela said:

Didn't she and Tae-Hyung's sleep together? How about her taking care of their newborn as a widow and Ji-Hwan drops by to visit her.

Tae Hyung told her they would not sleep apart but O believe Ju Hong is still a virgin and so is Ji Hwan.
@Lmangla @chococarmela

You should blame the writer for Ji Hwan and Tae Hee separating.  I will be honest whoever Ji Hwan ended up with would have been okay for me.  Truth is Tae Hee ruined her chances, if she had cut chosen Ji Hwan at the beginning, I bet you they would have ended up together. The facts are Tae Hee could never let go of the Hope that one day Hee woman could love her. She made so many mistakes which made Ji Hwan not trust her , 1. She didn’t put Sol first 

2. she was RUDE to Ju Hong for no reason

In order to get him to love her she should have

1.she was so insecure ( she should have used this ) to capture his heart

2. used her Suicidal tendencies to lure Ji Hwan

3. Helped him in his plans to trap her family

4. not be rude

5. Be sincere to Sol. 

• Like 2

I thought I'd move on but Witches game's characters are rather insipid for now; even if they have turned loan shark grandma into an evil manipulator. 

The vengeance of the bride is getting more interesting but will there be another shameless Ham who could lie through her teeth? I don't think so.

She was ambitious for herself and only started pushing for THyung to take her place when the board was wary of her mostly. He was her potential replacement when she stepped down, that was her plan/game. It did not seem that she was living through him. Although it was obvious he was her only concern after herself. When  he repudiated her, she approved of it as a step to save himself. Their relationship was a partnership and mother/son. 

On 10/13/2022 at 11:54 AM, UnniSarah said:

Tae Hyung told her they would not sleep apart but O believe Ju Hong is still a virgin and so is Ji Hwan.

It's possible that JH and JH are virgins in kdrama but 4-6 years in med school and years of dating ? Think Which One GIF by Nick Jonas :hwaiting2:

The best part of this show is that Ham stayed true to her selfish, arrogant self, none of the 180 degrees remorseful turn. It could have been better if THyung too remained selfish - mother and son were the same.

I didn't think JH would end up with TH at all. The minute she was involved in a death, not framed, there was no way she would end up with the avenging hero. She was a convict waiting to be convicted.

All in all a satisfying ending.

• LOL 3

13 hours ago, maribella said:

The best part of this show is that Ham stayed true to her selfish, arrogant self, none of the 180 degrees remorseful turn. It could have been better if THyung too remained selfish - mother and son were the same.

I didn't think JH would end up with TH at all. The minute she was involved in a death, not framed, there was no way she would end up with the avenging hero. She was a convict waiting to be convicted.

All in all a satisfying ending.

Tae Hyung and his evil Omma are still as selfish as they could be and they fully deserved their eventual ending!

Tae Hee partially redeemed herself by apologizing to Ju Hong and serving her sentence. I like her ending, out of WIDE and doing her own stuff; while making peace with Ji Hwan.

Overall, the ending in the Secret House trumps that of Gold Mask! The revenge plot also nicely wrapped up with the Evil Ham jailed till her death! The ending in Gold Mask is somewhat unsatisfactory as the lead female character is as weak as I could remember (for a daily drama), that's also the reason why I only watched at most 30 episodes; unlike the Secret House (I watched almost 100 episodes since Episode 30).

• Like 3

On 10/12/2022 at 11:54 PM, UnniSarah said:

Ahhh okay.

You should blame the writer for Ji Hwan and Tae Hee separating.  I will be honest whoever Ji Hwan ended up with would have been okay for me.  Truth is Tae Hee ruined her chances, if she had cut chosen Ji Hwan at the beginning, I bet you they would have ended up together. The facts are Tae Hee could never let go of the Hope that one day Hee woman could love her.

This is very true, as Tae Hee actively ruined her chances for her own happiness too.

She made so many mistakes which made Ji Hwan not trust her ,

1. She didn’t put Sol first 

2. she was RUDE to Ju Hong for no reason

In order to get him to love her she should have

1.she was so insecure ( she should have used this ) to capture his heart

2. used her Suicidal tendencies to lure Ji Hwan

3. Helped him in his plans to trap her family

4. not be rude

5. Be sincere to Sol. 

All true! She was very jealous of Ju Hong for NO reason. I can see what you're saying. And Sol didn't deserve that treatment from her either.

• Like 3

I guess we're all satisfied with the happy ending of the SH drama & now most of you here must've started watching some new dailies? :)

Well after SH drama I seem to always experience this so-called withdrawal syndrome esp if I got used or liked the leads like Seo ha jun so in order for me not to feel overwhelmed with SH ending, I'm drawn to watching some old but goody Kdramas if you will! I started with Want a Taste but it's a big mistake though from my perspective where I accidentally read viewers who have finished watching it simply bec this drama (not sure if some ofyou have seen it) is 2 yrs old I believe? Well anyway, I enjoy it until I read a spoiler/s so I stopped watching & now found another 2019 or 2020 kdrama called Place in the Sun & so far it's quite interesting!

If you guys have a new one to recommend pls don't hesitate to share it :) In the meantime, it's been nice engaging with you albeit it was quite late in the drama when I joined you wonderful people here!

:bashful:

On 10/16/2022 at 10:40 PM, chococarmela said:

Ahhh okay.

This is very true, as Tae Hee actively ruined her chances for her own happiness too.

All true! She was very jealous of Ju Hong for NO reason. I can see what you're saying. And Sol didn't deserve that treatment from her either.

I agree 101%, she's full of jealousy and not only that she's like her mother full of spite, the only time I felt sorry for her was when Mr Yang passed away and inasmuch as she was feeling regretful for not acknowledging him while alive, she gave her all while he was dying!

• Blob 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2022 at 9:14 PM, chococarmela said:

Hi @hibiscus23 chingu. I'm currently watching Vengeance of the Bride. I wanna watch Witches' Game too, but I really need to catch up with my KBS daily first.

Hello @chococarmelachingoo I heard about Vengeance thru one of my friends but I haven't checked it out and I started WG and so far I think I'll continue with it since I also like Oh Chang Seok from Princess Aurora & I just finished his one drama A Place in the Sun :) !!

OK pls let me know if Vengeance is one that I'll stay watching :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hibiscus23 said:

Hello @chococarmelachingoo I heard about Vengeance thru one of my friends but I haven't checked it out and I started WG and so far I think I'll continue with it since I also like Oh Chang Seok from Princess Aurora & I just finished his one drama A Place in the Sun :) !!

OK pls let me know if Vengeance is one that I'll stay watching :)

Okay! So far it's just starting, but it is going pretty good so far in terms of plot, storylines, and characters.

• Like 1