[Drama 2021] Gentleman and Young Lady, 신사와 아가씨

Lmangla

1 hour ago, Polka Dot said:

maybe anna will die (i hope she won’t) and DD and her father will inherit her fortune. DD will marry YG, a bit a la jane eyre (the governess turned heiress marries her former employer) :)

Why her father will inherit the fortune of their daughter? i hope no, it's only  for DD

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, marrez1 said:

Why her father will inherit the fortune of their daughter? i hope no, it's only  for DD

maybe anna will leave part of her fortune to him as a way of apologizing for leaving him when DD was a baby and thanking him for raising her :)

• Like 3

I am just catching up with this drama because I was so disappointed with the writing, and now I am reeling from the racist comments in episode 24 at about 51 minutes in. I see many comments on Viki that also were just so dismayed. It’s bad enough with a lot of the misogyny that is still going on, but portraying black Americans as crooks and people to be frightened of is more than disgusting. I know this is not the first such dialogue in a Kdrama but it really needs to stop, I think one has to speak up. I know that my Korean friends in Korea would not put up with such comments and I know that racism exists everywhere. We, as consumers, have a right to demand a higher standard.  Such bigoted dialogue should not be accepted as normal dialogue towards any group. This is not just the writers fault this is the fault of KBS and the whole production staff. They don’t just profit from those watching in Korea but those who watch throughout the world and they also influence beyond Korea, but this reflects badly on Korea and as someone who loves K dramas and the wonderful actresses and actors, it makes me more than sad

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Hoping for a misdiagnosed, miracle, or a cure from surgery and chemo for AK. DD needs her Mom and more to the point a chance to have a loving parent that she never really had as Mr. Park’s daughter. We’ve been given lots of glimpses that Mr. Park have shown more preference and partiality to DB, DB mother and her family over DD. Even Mr. Park older sister fawns over DB calling him their bloodline first son. Mr. Park continues to maintain that lie with a proud smile.

Se Reyeon disruptive selfishness in entering the Park’s home when no one was there without their permission was creepy.  Even DB mom and granny tolerance have reached their limits by her unwelcome presence and the new beddings she brought as bribes was insulting to them. 

Crazy shady SaRa still not giving up on marrying YG even after he found out about the engagement fraud. YG needs to call his lawyer and get a restraining order on her pronto. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

Maybe the writer is looking for a way to let AK be forgiven by her daughter and Mr Park. I mean they feel sorry for her and she gets forgiven. I remember in Samgwang Villa, the FL's father was forgiven by her because of his illness.

This is a bit off topic but he got forgiven because he risked his own life to save her not because of illness.

On topic: Young Guk is one scary dude when he's angry. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, vintage said:

Hoping for a misdiagnosed, miracle, or a cure from surgery and chemo for AK. DD needs her Mom and more to the point a chance to have a loving parent that she never really had as Mr. Park’s daughter. We’ve been given lots of glimpses that Mr. Park have shown more preference and partiality to DB, DB mother and her family over DD. Even Mr. Park older sister fawns over DB calling him their bloodline first son. Mr. Park continues to maintain that lie with a proud smile.

Se Reyeon disruptive selfishness in entering the Park’s home when no one was there without their permission was creepy.  Even DB mom and granny tolerance have reached their limits by her unwelcome presence and the new beddings she brought as bribes was insulting to them. 

Crazy shady SaRa still not giving up on marrying YG even after he found out about the engagement fraud. YG needs to call his lawyer and get a restraining order on her pronto. 

I hope that Anna still has a chance. I agree with you, she needs some support and even if Anna was not the best in the past, the woman (i think) is ready to be that person now. Mr. Park has let that family run all over him and DD and he sits there and does not do a thing. 

They are all coddling DB so much, all of them!! And MiRim and DD are out there fighting their battles pretty much alone. 

I liked DB and Se Reyon at the beginning. Now, not so much. they both need to grow, to mature and to start making a life for themselves. 

That scene with Dae Ran insulting them and throwing money at SC's face was hard. Seeing DB keep silent made me sad and disappointed. 

Well, SaRa is delusional and right now I can't even muster any sympathy for her and her problems with the ex. She needs to be kept away from YG, the children and DD. She's gone LOCO.

5 hours ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

Maybe the writer is looking for a way to let AK be forgiven by her daughter and Mr Park. I mean they feel sorry for her and she gets forgiven. I remember in Samgwang Villa, the FL's father was forgiven by her because of his illness.

As long as she doesnt die from the illness I'm ok :) I'd rather she works for that forgiveness...but yes, I thought that they'd go with the illness plotline since last time she was sick.

It's ironic that is SC, who has said he hates his ex and thinks she's dead, the one who is with her right now, and probably the only one that will know for a while. 

From the preview it seems she doesn't want to tell anything as of yet.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, marrez1 said:

I don't think Anna hated her spouse - don't know if they were even married.  But she wanted to get ahead in life because it was going no where with both her and him.  So, she probably left (which I don't agree with), but came back and saw that he was already with somebody.  After her accident, nobody could recognize her and a person who hates or dislikes someone would not search for them - DD.  If DD knew that her mother left her, she would also search for her and question to know why she was abandoned, because closure is important.  

More than transferring her wealth to her DD 's dad, she was more interested in finishing up her projects.  So, my take is that she will tell DD and dad who she is and will want DD to train in fashion design for which DD will go abroad, finish and come back and be a valuable asset to FT group .  If DD had the right education, with the amount of enthusiasm she displays and the perseverance, she could be or do anything.  Unlike her STEP_MOM

10 hours ago, Gaia2u said:

I am just catching up with this drama because I was so disappointed with the writing, and now I am reeling from the racist comments in episode 24 at about 51 minutes in. I see many comments on Viki that also were just so dismayed. It’s bad enough with a lot of the misogyny that is still going on, but portraying black Americans as crooks and people to be frightened of is more than disgusting. I know this is not the first such dialogue in a Kdrama but it really needs to stop, I think one has to speak up. I know that my Korean friends in Korea would not put up with such comments and I know that racism exists everywhere. We, as consumers, have a right to demand a higher standard.  Such bigoted dialogue should not be accepted as normal dialogue towards any group. This is not just the writers fault this is the fault of KBS and the whole production staff. They don’t just profit from those watching in Korea but those who watch throughout the world and they also influence beyond Korea, but this reflects badly on Korea and as someone who loves K dramas and the wonderful actresses and actors, it makes me more than sad

I am sorry that you felt offended by that talk among the ladies.  I am asian and live in the US.  I have had friends from all cultures and ethnicity.  That said, if someone approaches me and asks me to buy something, I would be scared too irrespective of the color of their skin.  With NY, you have to be careful as you would not know who you are dealing with.  Just my 2 cents.  Please don't take any offense in what I wrote.  I just wanted to give you another person's point of view.  

7 hours ago, knkg said:

On topic: Young Guk is one scary dude when he's angry. 

Loved his acting.  One second he is all flat, next he is angry and after that he is furious.  

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 2

3 hours ago, angelwingssf said:

I am sorry that you felt offended by that talk among the ladies.  I am asian and live in the US.  I have had friends from all cultures and ethnicity.  That said, if someone approaches me and asks me to buy something, I would be scared too irrespective of the color of their skin. 

I think the issue was not about the ladies saying they got scared.  It was utterly distasteful to throw in the word 흑인 (heuk in -> black person) there, and it was terribly offensive.  I am an Indian who lives in the US, and I noticed it too.  If they had just said they were getting mugged by 2 people, there would be no issue, as it can very much happen in NY like you said.  But adding "mugged by 2 black men" is the kind of thing that should never be in a drama.  It is horrible.  Had they said "two gangster dudes tried to sell stuff to us," it would not be racist. That would be enough to convey the fact that the ladies got scared by some scary dudes in NY.  But this was like perpetrating stereotypes and impressions to Korean people, like "many NY muggers/fraudsters are black" or even worse "many NY blacks are muggers/fraudsters".  The word 흑인 by itself is not offensive, just like the word "black" is not offensive to black people.  But the use of it in places where it stereotypes people and brings in implied images, is offensive.  That is racism.

That line was absolutely jarring.  The drama and the writer need to apologize, if you ask me, for being that racist.  There is no IFs or BUTs about it.  It was out-and-out racist stereotyping that they did there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, angelwingssf said:

Loved his acting.  One second he is all flat, next he is angry and after that he is furious.  

And I love that infectious smile that he gets the moment he sees/thinks about DanDan. Or rather that he used to get before the misunderstanding.

Couldn't find a good one from the drama, but this smile. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jayakris said:

I think the issue was not about the ladies saying they got scared.  It was utterly distasteful to throw in the word 흑인 (heuk in -> black person) there, and it was terribly offensive.  I am an Indian who lives in the US, and I noticed it too.  If they had just said they were getting mugged by 2 people, there would be no issue, as it can very much happen in NY like you said.  But adding "mugged by 2 black men" is the kind of thing that should never be in a drama.  It is horrible. 

Thanks for clarifying that.  I did not see that it was "mugged by 2 black men" in the translation.  So, I was confused as to what was so jarring for them to feel offended.  

10 minutes ago, TheaN said:

And I love that infectious smile that he gets the moment he sees/thinks about DanDan. Or rather that he used to get before the misunderstanding.

Couldn't find a good one from the drama, but this smile. 

Love that about him too.  Both before and after he lost his memories, his smile is infectious when he thinks about Dan Dan.  I guess the misunderstanding gets cleared up in the next episode and seeing Sara still wanting to get married to him is truly scary on how she has turned out to be.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, jayakris said:

If they had just said they were getting mugged by 2 people, there would be no issue, as it can very much happen in NY like you said.  But adding "mugged by 2 black men" is the kind of thing that should never be in a drama.  It is horrible.  Had they said "two gangster dudes tried to sell stuff to us," it would not be racist. That would be enough to convey the fact that the ladies got scared by some scary dudes in NY.  But this was like perpetrating stereotypes and impressions to Korean people, like "many NY muggers/fraudsters are black" or even worse "many NY blacks are muggers/fraudsters". 

That's Korean entertainment for you, they throw around ridiculous stereotypes about African Americans and Africans, then feign ignorance and blame their "isolation" and "homogeneous culture" while simultaneously building an entire music industry based on African American music genres... And they're unrepentant about it. Remember the "smelly dreadlocks" thing in Backstreet Rookie?? Didn't bother to issue a statement or apologize.

11 hours ago, Min Mcgonagall said:

I liked DB and Se Reyon at the beginning. Now, not so much. they both need to grow, to mature and to start making a life for themselves. 

I love this couple but they need to give them some character development ASAP. The guy needs to step up and be responsible with money and building his future, and the lady needs to get responsible and start working instead of relying on her shares while blowing money. 

They should use this opportunity now that they've been backed into a corner and can't marry to show responsibility by growing up. I hope Writernim can do justice to them.

ION, the handkerchief appeared and I hollered!!:D finally!!

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, TheQueenReturns said:

That was the best ending I have seen in awhile.

Tell me about it!  It was so good that I thought it was a set-up by the drama to fool us.  I didn't believe it when he so quickly figured out everything and reacted so angrily to SR, even cutting off the engagement.  I kept waiting for the scene change like it was SR's imagination out of her fears.  But no... It was real!  Only when they showed him walking outside the room did I realize that the SR engagement nightmare was over. 

Oh yeah.  Fun starts now.  Nothing is ever fun in a drama when a lead is having amnesia.  I hate it like all of you.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

Saturday Des 18, 2021 Kdrama Ratings KBS2

Sunday Des 19, 2021 Kdrama Ratings KBS2

what do you think that Kdrama ratings would be if they allowed international views to view these drama streams on their sites?  Most of them say, it is only available in South Korea.  

These rating would be shooting thru the roof.raise the roof GIF

• Like 4