[Drama 2021] The King’s Affection, 연모

ferily

On 9/9/2021 at 12:43 PM, Yinye said:

I haven’t seen any of Rowon’s work but from the photos, the one on the left side is very dashing/mature but the ones on the left makes him look younger? Lol 

I just saw him in She Would Never Know/ Sunbae, Don't Put on That Lipstick.

I really liked him there. He looks so manly as well.

• Like 2

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Park Eun Bin, SF9’s Rowoon, And More Share Stories About Their Casting In “The King’s Affection”

Oct 8, 2021

by C. Hong

On October 8, KBS’s upcoming drama “The King’s Affection” held an online press conference with producing director (PD) Song Hyun Wook and actors Park Eun Bin, SF9’s Rowoon, Nam Yoon Su, VICTON’s Byungchan, Bae Yoon Kyung, and DIA’s Jung Chaeyeon.

Spoiler

the-kings-affection.jpeg

“The King’s Affection” is a historical romance drama about a princess who disguises herself as the crown prince, Lee Hwi (Park Eun Bin), when her twin brother dies. Rowoon co-stars as Jung Ji Woon, Lee Hwi’s teacher. Nam Yoon Su plays Lee Hyun, a member of the royal family; Byungchan plays Kim Ga On, Lee Hwi’s bodyguard; Bae Yoon Kyung plays Shin So Eun, the only daughter of the Minister of Internal Affairs; and Jung Chaeyeon plays Noh Ha Kyung, the youngest daughter of the Minister of War.

At the press conference, PD Song Hyun Wook said, “People can trust in KBS’s historical dramas, and this one is no different. In the politically competitive space of the palace, these characters will unveil their romantic and yearning stories. It’s a historical romance drama, but there are also action and comedic scenes.”

About casting the actors, he said, “Since ‘The King’s Affection’ is based on a manhwa [Korean comic], I expected that casting would be tricky from the start. We needed a lead actress who could make the part believable, and when I met Park Eun Bin, I got a burst of confidence and knew she was the one. I’m grateful to her for being prepared.”

park-eun-bin-the-kings-affection.jpeg

He continued, “From his previous projects, I knew that Rowoon was very good-looking. The character in ‘The King’s Affection’ is very multi-faceted, so I wasn’t sure about casting him at first, but when I met him, my doubts vanished. He’s a very vigorous person.” The PD added jokingly, “But I had some regrets after I cast him because he was so tall. When it was time to cast the other male actors, I had to look at actors who were above 187 cm (6’1″).”

rowoon-the-kings-affection.jpeg

The actors also talked about why they had chosen this drama as their next project. “I was drawn to the idea of a woman sitting on the throne during the Joseon dynasty,” Park Eun Bin said. “As soon as I saw the script, it was like I had acquired a new dream. It felt like a rare project that I wouldn’t be offered again. Even if it was difficult, I wanted to take on the challenge. We’re in the middle of filming now and I haven’t regretted it once.”

Rowoon said, “I liked that there were a lot of different stories tied up in it. I chose it at first because I could feel the earnest love story, and I wanted to take on the challenge of the historical genre. My character, Jung Ji Woon, is a straightforward, appealing character who doesn’t hide who he is. More than anything, I wanted to act with Park Eun Bin. I’m very lucky to be able to act in a project with her.”

Spoiler

rowoon-park-eun-bin-the-kings-affection.

Nam Yoon Su said, “Lee Hyun is an exciting character who makes your heart beat faster.”

Spoiler

nam-yoon-su-the-kings-affection.jpg

Byungchan said, “I liked the idea of a palace romance, and I thought that my character, Kim Ga On, would be a challenge, since he is the strong and silent type. He hides an inner pain and has a secretive side. Please tune in to the drama to see how his secret is unveiled.”

Spoiler

byungchan-the-kings-affection.jpg

Bae Yoon Kyung said, “I had faith in the director and I was a fan of Park Eun Bin and her amazing acting.”

Spoiler

bae-yoon-kyung-the-kings-affection.jpg

Jung Chaeyeon said, “I thought the concept was interesting. When I first read the script, Noh Ha Kyung wasn’t in the story yet, but the director helped explain things to me.”

Spoiler

jung-chaeyeon-the-kings-affection.jpg

“The King’s Affection” premieres on October 11 at 9:30 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1492543wpp/park-eun-bin-sf9s-rowoon-and-more-share-stories-about-their-casting-in-the-kings-affection

• Like 3

On 9/28/2021 at 12:50 AM, ElleSor said:

I just saw him in She Would Never Know/ Sunbae, Don't Put on That Lipstick.

I really liked him there. He looks so manly as well.

That drama was awesome! Was my first time seeing his work. He's gorgeous with his deep voice and build. I've seen some videos of his music work but I think I like him better as an actor. I saw Eun Bin in Do You Like Brahams...she was really good in that so I'm looking forward to this drama

12 hours ago, Dana T said:

That drama was awesome! Was my first time seeing his work. He's gorgeous with his deep voice and build. I've seen some videos of his music work but I think I like him better as an actor. I saw Eun Bin in Do You Like Brahams...she was really good in that so I'm looking forward to this drama

I agree!! I really liked "Sunbae, Lipstick". He was to die for there. 

Watched the first episode of this drama - just a spur of the moment thing for me as I am normally not into sageuks. The synopsis seemed interesting enough to give it a try, though.

But really? Bae Soo Bin in an evil role? :bawling: Again? Why is he always playing a bad guy @Sleepy Owl dongsaeng? It's not fair..... :crybaby:

We got the backstory, and I liked the actual plot but some of the execution was not to my taste. :unamused:

1) Are we to believe that a backyard pond is that deep? Deeper than a normal swimming pool?

2) A person who cannot swim will just sink to the bottom without at least flailing his arms a little bit?

3) The sappy opening scene music was not very saeguky in my opinion

4) Already too many old evil dudes in the first episode

But it kept me entertained enough, and I will check out the next episode so that I can see the adult actors.

By the way, the child actors were great! :kiss_wink:

PS. Can't wait until Da Mi finds out her father was the one who ordered her to be killed as a newborn. Let's see how cool she finds him after that.
:evillaugh:

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

• ferily changed the title to [Current Drama 2021] Affection, 연모 - Mon & Tues @21:30 KST

I actually detest gender swap dramas especially with romance, but halfway considered checking this one out. I guess I won't be watching it either way because it doesn't look like Kocowa is offering it as I have seen no teasers and I think the drama is supposed to Premiere today. Who was going to be the primary carrier for this drama on the international market?

• Blob 3

The first episode was good. Better than I had expected it to be. I liked the overall background of the story, how the twins met again and how they swapped places. It was more natural than I had thought having read the synopsis. Asianwiki's synopsis is totally opposite of what happened in the first episode :joy:

1 hour ago, partyon said:

But really? Bae Soo Bin in an evil role? :bawling: Again? Why is he always playing a bad guy @Sleepy Owl dongsaeng? It's not fair..... 

Noona I am a simple person, I see Bae Soo Bin in any drama, I am pretty sure he is the bad guy. Bae Soo Bin in a drama is like a spoiler of who the bad guy is :loolz:

The only drama I remember seeing him play a good guy was in another Sageuk, Dong Yi. 

I didn't even know he was acting in this drama, not sure how I missed his name in the cast list. I am interested in the 2nd episode, since we have some key characters yet to be revealed having checked the cast list. 

1) Are we to believe that a backyard pond is that deep? Deeper than a normal swimming pool?

2) A person who cannot swim will just sink to the bottom without at least flailing his arms a little bit?

3) The sappy opening scene music was not very saeguky in my opinion

4) Already too many old evil dudes in the first episode

1. I had the same thought Noona :joy:

2. Same as point 1. 

3. I didn't like the opening scene music as well. FFed it and yes, it is not really Sageuky in my opinion as well. 

4. The only thing which is not less in Sageuks is the number of OEDs :joy:

PS. Can't wait until Da Mi finds out her father was the one who ordered her to be killed as a newborn. Let's see how cool she finds him after that.

This will be pretty interesting and I look forward to it as well. I kinda feel the father was helpless in that condition and couldn't really do anything in that situation. But then again he abandoned his daughter and allowed her to be killed, so of course the confrontation will be interesting. 

I have already seen similar scenario happening in "Great Queen Seon Deok". Let's see how this one will unfold. 

I also wonder if the mother will reveal the truth to FL before making her the Crown Prince. I don't really think she would be like "You look like my son, he is dead, take his place", it would be too stupid in my opinion. So I think we will see the FL coming to know about the truth already in the 2nd episode before being made to take the identity of already dead Crown Prince. 

Anyway, I liked the first episode, and also happy that they didn't really waste 2 episodes on the background and childhood of the characters. Looking forward to ep 2. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

I really like sageuks and with a twist like this (twins!), I'm sure it will be different from any other sageuk stories. I'm not familiar with actual history so I guess it's time to check up on if twins were really considered bad luck in cases like this. :weary:

Can't wait for tomorrow's episode!

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

What a first episode! So the crown prince actually dies and other twin will pretend to be the Crown Prince then… Looks like the Queen will be in on this little secret. Hmmm is it confirmed that the Crown Prince dies? You know how dramas can be and throw out a surprise later in the drama…

The moment I saw Bae Soo Bin, I was like, well he’s the bad guy for sure. Lol.. his relationship with his son was cute but he’s still evil. How can he shoot arrows in broad daylight?! He should honestly get punished for that…Also his son, I already knew it will be Rowoon’s character haha.

So far interesting start! :D Btw that pond was NOT THAT DEEP

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

• ferily changed the title to [Current Drama 2021] The King’s Affection, 연모 - Mon & Tues @21:30 KST
  • ferily unlocked this topic
8 hours ago, Chesleigh said:

I really like sageuks and with a twist like this (twins!), I'm sure it will be different from any other sageuk stories. I'm not familiar with actual history so I guess it's time to check up on if twins were really considered bad luck in cases like this. :weary:

Can't wait for tomorrow's episode!

Twins were considered as bad luck in Joseon just like in Queen Seondeok drama.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Blob 2