[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] The Rebel Princess上阳赋

sugarplum892

4 hours ago, minglanfan2 said:

I felt the questioning of her mom's trusted maid about Xiao Qi's nature having changed was to justify thoughts of keeping her husband about the conspirators in the dark.I am still not able to understand all the conversations completely without subtitles.I am hoping to get more understanding of this odd question once the subs are in.

@minglanfan2 You're right. I conflated the two conversations.

Ep 61: XQ and Awu did have a conversation where she asked him Are you still the previous/old you? And he responds A lot of people think I've changed, but I don't think I've changed. And I don't care what other people think. I only care about you. 

Ep 62: Hu Yao comes back and they visit her brother's grave, at which point XQ promises to find the truth and deal out justice, no matter what.

After this point, Awu has the conversation with Aunt Xu (the maid) and she asks Do you think the Lord has changed? And the maid responds Yes, but you (Awu) have also changed. And then they proceed to talk about all that has happened and what it means to be "mother of all nations". So I think her question is likely a reaction to the path of justice she sees XQ embarking on. He was always a fair and just man, but now those qualities are amplified and his singular focus is to get the truth of what happened and punish those who wronged him and his army.

Before, he would at least conceal those strong qualities under a layer of civility and decorum to play by the court rules - even tho we've seen his expressions in court and how silly he thinks all the nobles are. Now, he doesn't even pretend. No qualms about coming into the capital (Cheng) without having been formally invited by the government. No kneeling for Emperor or imperial decree. No pretense about calling out their RickRoll'D. 

But by asking that question to her maid - it shows Awu doesn't really understand her husband. Like, who wouldn't get all hardcore after everything that has been dealt to XQ and his people? You should know that your husband didn't CHANGE (as in a negative change of personality) but that he JUSTIFABLY no longer feel the need to play that court/imperial game after all they have put him through.

Edited by gingerchews
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jadore1 said:

The horses are more loyal then people ...I am now only following because of XQ , poor guy .:worried:

I loved the horse pair.The episode where the jumped to help him was so touching.Xiao Qi has spoilt me.I will always compare a historical drama hero with his character now.

3 hours ago, gingerchews said:

@minglanfan2 You're right. I conflated the two conversations.

Ep 61: XQ and Awu did have a conversation where she asked him Are you still the previous/old you? And he responds A lot of people think I've changed, but I don't think I've changed. And I don't care what other people think. I only care about you. 

Ep 62: Hu Yao comes back and they visit her brother's grave, at which point XQ promises to find the truth and deal out justice, no matter what.

After this point, Awu has the conversation with Aunt Xu (the maid) and she asks Do you think the Lord has changed? And the maid responds Yes, but you (Awu) have also changed. And then they proceed to talk about all that has happened and what it means to be "mother of all nations". So I think her question is likely a reaction to the path of justice she sees XQ embarking on. He was always a fair and just man, but now those qualities are amplified and his singular focus is to get the truth of what happened and punish those who wronged him and his army.

Before, he would at least conceal those strong qualities under a layer of civility and decorum to play by the court rules - even tho we've seen his expressions in court and how silly he thinks all the nobles are. Now, he doesn't even pretend. No qualms about coming into the capital (Cheng) without having been formally invited by the government. No kneeling for Emperor or imperial decree. No pretense about calling out their RickRoll'D. 

But by asking that question to her maid - it shows Awu doesn't really understand her husband. Like, who wouldn't get all hardcore after everything that has been dealt to XQ and his people? You should know that your husband didn't CHANGE (as in a negative change of personality) but that he JUSTIFABLY no longer feel the need to play that court/imperial game after all they have put him through.

You  make a valid point.

Xiao Qi deserves the respect and love he gets.For his men being unjustly killed and villified he wants to make sure they get their respect and honor restored.Those soilders were poor and their families would also be condemned for no fault of theirs.Awu feels for the commoners,yet she asked her husband to give up on justice for those men and their families.The disconnect was jarring.

Besides it has always been shown in the drama Xiao Qi walks the extra mile for his men.He hasn't changed.He is just making sure the voiceless are heard.If he didn't behave this way would the court officials and Zidan even bother to care for the matter?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, minglanfan2 said:

Agree with you.

I formulated a theory to keep my disappointment low.

Awu is supposed to carry the burden of morality for all the villains so that they can be badass with impunity.

She doesn't do it for Xiao Qi as she is the strict wife who is supposed to scrutinizes him with a microscopic eye and not trust him with important decisions.She will do that unilaterally for equality of women rights in matrimony.

Xioa Qi however has to proove his fidelity to her at every corner like a dutiful husband.Forgive and forget as wife deems fit.No room for negotiations.

Life of a married man is never easy even in ancient times.

ok lets say for argument sake that is true. I still do not understand how asking Xiao Qi to stop his revenge and run away with her is going to help the people of the country. Awu knows very well that that was not the first time her "royal" family tried to kill Xiao Qi. If I was her I would be so tired of everyone trying to kill my husband and try to resolve the problem and to make sure that no one will ever try again. On her way to the palace she saw how much the people are suffering and that was due to Zidan being the new emperor so obviously he is doing a pretty crappy job. Lets face it he is not Emperor material. All I see him do is sit in his room and look into space.

Zidan even admit to Awu that he has become this monster all because of her and how much he hates Xiao Qi and all he wants is for Xiao Qi to die. Does Awu not feel anything in her heart? Does she not feel like she want to protect Xiao Qi at all? Considering everyone left her to die in Hulan except for Xiao Qi who risked everything just to rescued her. Her brother and Zidan didn't look like they were planning a rescue mission anything soon.

Lets just say Xiao Qi agrees and they run off into the sunset. How will that stop Zidan from trying to kill Xiao Qi again?

Arrgghh.....so upset. And Awu even have the audacity to ask Aunt XuXu if Xiao Qi have changed. She was the one who made Xiao Qi promise to be truthful to he no matter what. She was the one who told him that she will never doubt him ever again. I feel like by asking that question she is doubting Xiao Qi considering he already told her he have not changed. Again.....so upset

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Blooming Blossoms said:

ok lets say for argument sake that is true. I still do not understand how asking Xiao Qi to stop his revenge and run away with her is going to help the people of the country. Awu knows very well that that was not the first time her "royal" family tried to kill Xiao Qi. If I was her I would be so tired of everyone trying to kill my husband and try to resolve the problem and to make sure that no one will ever try again. On her way to the palace she saw how much the people are suffering and that was due to Zidan being the new emperor so obviously he is doing a pretty crappy job. Lets face it he is not Emperor material. All I see him do is sit in his room and look into space.

Zidan even admit to Awu that he has become this monster all because of her and how much he hates Xiao Qi and all he wants is for Xiao Qi to die. Does Awu not feel anything in her heart? Does she not feel like she want to protect Xiao Qi at all? Considering everyone left her to die in Hulan except for Xiao Qi who risked everything just to rescued her. Her brother and Zidan didn't look like they were planning a rescue mission anything soon.

Lets just say Xiao Qi agrees and they run off into the sunset. How will that stop Zidan from trying to kill Xiao Qi again?

Arrgghh.....so upset. And Awu even have the audacity to ask Aunt XuXu if Xiao Qi have changed. She was the one who made Xiao Qi promise to be truthful to he no matter what. She was the one who told him that she will never doubt him ever again. I feel like by asking that question she is doubting Xiao Qi considering he already told her he have not changed. Again.....so upset

Yes, this, thank you! It's very short-sighted of her. Instead of trying to solve the root of the problem (aka royal family), she chooses to ask her husband to run away.

I'm hoping Awu will be smarter and stand by XQ in the last few episodes. Because when she asked XQ to run away together, at that point Awu didn't know it was Zitan behind the whole thing - she only found out after the playdate at the river. So fingers crossed in the following eps, Awu wakes up and become a badass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blooming Blossoms said:

Yes!!

Awu loved and respected XiaoQi because he cared for the country.She said so to Zidan while making a courageous stand against the 1st Emperor's brother.Ningshuo army was instrumental in making the country formidable against their enemies and providing stability.Will vilification of that army pose well for the nation? Just knowtowing in the temple of the departed soilder is not enough. Safegaurding their legacy from false blame should be also a moral duty of the princess of Shanyang. 

The series is named as an ode to her so she has to rise up to the challenge.Maybe when she learns the betrayal of her brother and dad 2nd time around will make her see Xiao Qi is the best hope for Cheng.

She took her time to come to terms with Jin'er's betrayal.Even trying to understand the 'why' from the traitor's mouth.

Zidan's change in personna is taken in stride but Xiao Qi's quest for justice worries her with the conclusion that he has changed.

I can understand this weak in the knees approach when her brother and dad's complicity is revealed but Zidan getting the same emotional treatment is disappointing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, pewpew mew said:

Yes, this, thank you! It's very short-sighted of her. Instead of trying to solve the root of the problem (aka royal family), she chooses to ask her husband to run away.

I'm hoping Awu will be smarter and stand by XQ in the last few episodes. Because when she asked XQ to run away together, at that point Awu didn't know it was Zitan behind the whole thing - she only found out after the playdate at the river. So fingers crossed in the following eps, Awu wakes up and become a badass.

Yes!!!! But even when Awu found out it was Zitan she was not planning on telling Xiao Qi anyway. Even asked Aunt XuXu to keep it a secret :'(

2 minutes ago, minglanfan2 said:

Yes!!

Awu loved and respected XiaoQi because he cared for the country.She said so to Zidan while making a courageous stand against the 1st Emperor's brother.Ningshuo army was instrumental in making the country formidable against their enemies and providing stability.Will vilification of that army pose well for the nation? Just knowtowing in the temple of the departed soilder is not enough. Safegaurding their legacy from false blame should be also a moral duty of the princess of Shanyang. 

The series is named as an ode to her so she has to rise up to the challenge.Maybe when she learns the betrayal of her brother and dad 2nd time around will make jiher see Xioa Qi is the best hope for Cheng.

She took her time to come to terms with Jin'er's betrayal.Even trying to understand the 'why' from the traitor's mouth.

Zidan's change in personna is taken in stride but Xiao Qi's quest for justice worries her with the conclusion that he has changed.

I can understand this weak in the knees approach when her brother and dad's complicity is revealed but Zidan getting the same emotional treatment is disappointing. 

Fingers crossed the last 5 episodes will not be disappointing!! 

Please please... Awu needs to back Xiao Qi up and break ties with her corrupted family. I don't understand why Awu keeps trusting the people who continually lie to her and have no problem killing her if need be. But cannot unconditionally trust Xiao Qi :'( 

• Like 4

I am on the wait and see mode. I will not judge Wang Xuan's decision as yet. We know for the fact that sending her off to question Zi Dan is the Empress Dowager's ploy. As long as she is still breathing, she will not stop. I am waiting for Wang Xuan to be completely, utterly disappointed with her whole family that she will agreed that the best solution is to take over the throne. Zi Dan cannot care less because the throne is not what he wanted. He wanted the throne so he can have Wang Xuan back. That is why he visited his father's old bedchamber asking why it is not so. Definitely there is really "dumb" genes in the Ma family. Wang Xuan display some of that genes in her decision making too.

Wang Su had betray her trust and send the young Prince into her father's hands. Although she is sad over Wang Lin's "death" and remembered him that he is still her father but if she knows that he is alive and am using the young child as the means to become the Regent or Emperor, our Princess will rebel. It seems like the Wang's genes of being power crazy had skipped her.

I will love to see Su Jin Er's ending after it is revealed that she gave such a "Green Hat" to Zi Dan that fits him right to his toes. It is a Chinese saying for wives who betrayed their husband with affairs and outside marital pregnancy. Then I wandered whether Zi Dan really care.

Of course, the nobles are are wandering whether Xiao Qi will usurp the throne. He now have stationed 100,000 thousand and literally the Capital is like in a siege in the eyes of the nobles. He had maintained the peace in the country and received praises from the Governors of the counties. Nobles thinks he is consolidating his power. Even Wang Su questioned Wang Xuan whether her husband wants the throne. Normally, it is a natural course for nobles to usurp the throne but by a man from the people? Unheard of.

Change. How can anyone not change? Xiao Qi nearly died, lost his men not in battle saving the country but in some plot to frame him. I can understand his anger and Wang Xuan must understand that too. You know how Xiao Qi was taken aback when Zi Dan gave him a slight bow and told him to continue the ceremony to the dead soldiers.

General Song has gone to the other side. Wang Lin and Zi Dan both promise him that he will get the same benefits like Xiao Qi did. Does he think that Wang Xuan comes along in that list too? To me, General Song wants to be Xiao Qi.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2

Wow what a day yesterday. Work deadlines kept me from posting but couldn't keep me from reading all the spoilers & the following comments :D I loved reading all the discussions here :approves: 

While reading about Awu I was constantly reminded of Dumbledore's quote from HP: There are all kinds of courage. It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but just as much to stand up to your friends. 

While Awu is good in the former she is absolutely zero in the latter. I had put her on a very high pedestal after watching how badass she was when dealing with the old King's rebelling brother & then during the whole Zilv plot. But all that started going down the drain when she first taunted XQ for not having a family & hence not understanding her love for the cousin & then voluntarily danced for that rapist HZ. I could actually feel my respect for her drain away with each step of hers. And then it continued chipping away with many other small acts of her. So I am not really much shocked that she doesn't support XQ. After all what does she know about loyalty & the debt one owes to his/her loyal men. Not her fault, she hasn't experienced it yet :) Who among her esteemed family & friends was loyal to her? So naturally she doesn't understand XQ's thirst for justice (NOT REVENGE!) because she has never experienced such bonds herself where people not even related by blood literally shed their blood to save you, rebel to support you, have complete faith in you. 

She is still the little girl who lives in her idealistic world & refuses to see that everyone has changed. Wanru described it quite well actually. The Palace corrupted her & they cannot go back to what they once shared. That is true for everyone around Awu. Time changes people. That is how people grow. So when she asks XQ if he has changed, of course he has! Why must you even ask? He stared death in the eye & came back. He saw the insults heaped upon people who were loyal to him AND the throne! That was a life altering event indeed. Awu unfortunately hasn't woken up to this fact YET. And that is why she has reached a period of stagnation as a character where she just keeps running in endless circles of trust & betrayal. 

My only hope now is that they dont ruin XQ. He should follow through with his plans for justice with or without Awu. He owes it to the hundreds of people who put their faith in him & died for him. You cannot attain peace by tolerating injustice. Justice is the basic requirement of every kind of peace.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3

@The.Lannister

She has experienced loyalty from Xiao Qi,Pang Gui,General Song's wife,Aunt Xu and the young general who switched sides to safeguard her when Zilv's father laid seige to the town she was held hostage in.People not related to her by blood.She acknowledges this in a monologue while caring for her aide who took the knife blow for her.

Her mother didn't betray unlike her father and brother from the family.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, minglanfan2 said:

@The.Lannister

She has experienced loyalty from Xiao Qi,Pang Gui,General Song's wife,Aunt Xu and the young general who switched sides to safeguard her when Zilv's father laid seige to the town she was held hostage in.People not related to her by blood.She acknowledges this in a monologue while caring for her aide who took the knife blow for her.

Her mother didn't betray unlike her father and brother from the family.

They are all her/ family's servants. So while she has experienced loyalty from them she doesn't feel any need to repay it back ten times like XQ does because as an aristocrat their loyalty is something which she takes for granted. If a servant is loyal, that's his duty & he deserves a pat on the back, a raise or maybe you spend a night nursing them back to health (like she did with Yuxiu). For XQ the loyalty he has found with his men is on a completely different level & that is what she doesn't understand because she has yet to experience that kind of loyalty. This going against set norms, rebelling against the throne because you owe it to someone, demanding justice for the dead soldiers ....she sees all this as unnecessary because even though XQ is her husband he is still a servant of the throne (that is how their class sees the ordinary folks) & so were the soldiers who died that day. 

About XQ, I wonder if she even appreciates or understands his loyalty towards her :tears: Her "if our Lord did something like this we will not abandon you" to her cousin that night still haunts me :tears:

And now that you reminded me of her mother I just hope she doesn't try to stop XQ in a similar manner when he tries to dislodge whichever chipmunk is occupying that throne at that moment (remember XQ pointing that sword at Awu/ Awu between XQ & the throne):rage:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, The.Lannister said:

They are all her/ family's servants. So while she has experienced loyalty from them she doesn't feel any need to repay it back ten times like XQ does because as an aristocrat their loyalty is something which she takes for granted. If a servant is loyal, that's his duty & he deserves a pat on the back, a raise or maybe you spend a night nursing them back to health (like she did with Yuxiu). For XQ the loyalty he has found with his men is on a completely different level & that is what she doesn't understand because she has yet to experience that kind of loyalty. This going against set norms, rebelling against the throne because you owe it to someone, demanding justice for the dead soldiers ....she sees all this as unnecessary because even though XQ is her husband he is still a servant of the throne (that is how their class sees the ordinary folks) & so were the soldiers who died that day. 

About XQ, I wonder if she even appreciates or understands his loyalty towards her :tears: Her "if our Lord did something like this we will not abandon you" to her cousin that night still haunts me :tears:

And now that you reminded me of her mother I just hope she doesn't try to stop XQ in a similar manner when he tries to dislodge whichever chipmunk is occupying that throne at that moment (remember XQ pointing that sword at Awu/ Awu between XQ & the throne):rage:

They are her servants but she did acknowledge about loyalty that she experienced from Yuxiu while others had betrayed her.Hence the obligation she felt  to make her a sister and not keep as a servant. She even felt obligated to Jin'er for having suffered during her abduction. Made grand plans to release her from being a maid and  marry her off comfortably.

Awu had no need to do that  could have just rewarded them for the acts as you mentioned.

She is loyal to her family..her care even though wronged by Empress Dowager, Father,Zilong,Wang Qian,stems from that emotion.She understands bond  of family loyalty rather well.

She has loyalty for the throne too.Therefore support for uncle who wronged her got transferred to Zilong and now to worthless Zidan.

She even understands the loyalty of a wife for her husband.She hoped her mother would reconcile with her father even though he tried to kill her uncle.

What she expected of her mother is not what she herself displays.

I find Awu choosing the robe of loyalty when she feels like it and discard it in a similar fashion.Don't know if it is a directorial or a writer's oversight but this flip flop just makes her character whimsical.

Awu imitating her mother...Noooo! I don't want the character to commit such a harakiri at the end.Dear Buddha shine some enlightenment on her!

Awu the confused soul understands love for Ziao Qi when he saves her,shields her inability to have a child with care and love.She forgets it when he needs her understanding to not humor HelanZhen and stop the branding of his dead men and their poor families as traitors.

Last time Xiao Qi had to bleed to proove his steadfast devotion to her..This time what will the princess demand for seeing his POV I dare not imagine.

As I mentioned earlier princess is a high maintenance wife.

To add Xiao Qi is an orphan.He lost his biological family and then the adopted one..The soilders are his brothers.He cares for them like his family.Having lost everything twice he values them more.His thirst for justice and anger has a personal angle as well.Smart Awu currently has amnesia about this understanding. 

• Like 4

Have you guys seen this? According to the comments this is from a variety show "An actor is born" where ZZY mentored ZYW & where ZYW emerged as the winner. She had been searching for the ML for TRP at that time :wub: (Given their age they would have started their careers at around the same time right? Why was she mentoring him I wonder)

Can someone translate the dialogues please or at least give a gist of what is happening here...Needless to say they definite have a strong screen presence & light up the screen with their chemistry:wub: I can never get tired of seeing them in any role, any genre, any time period:D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The.Lannister said:

Have you guys seen this? According to the comments this is from a variety show "An actor is born" where ZZY mentored ZYW & where ZYW emerged as the winner. She had been searching for the ML for TRP at that time :wub: (Given their age they would have started their careers at around the same time right? Why was she mentoring him I wonder)

Can someone translate the dialogues please or at least give a gist of what is happening here...Needless to say they definite have a strong screen presence & light up the screen with their chemistry:wub: I can never get tired of seeing them in any role, any genre, any time period:D

They are reacting a scene from a 1989 Hong Kong movie starring the late Anita Mui and Leslie Cheung. The chemistry between ZZY and ZYW is amazing!

ZYW is an extremely talented actor but lack the experience that ZZY has. ZZY has worked with many world renowned directors like Ang Lee in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon to Wong Kar Wai in The Grandmaster, to name a few. She has also collaborated with award winning actors like Tony Leung. These experiences adds to her acting skills and  knowledge of how filming/the acting art works .  She has that experience and exposure to blockbusters cinematic filming that ZYW doesn't. I think that's the reason she was the mentor on that programme and he, the contestant.

I am a great fan of ZYW. I have seen a few of his shows and I think he is brilliant!!! He is very charismatic in all the characters he portrayed, be it a villian, a good guy or a gray character.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos! Thanks!
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 3