[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] The Rebel Princess上阳赋

sugarplum892

17 hours ago, Nelly Lauw said:

He lan zhen told her its the emperor, the empress, E.dowager and zi dan all people want Xq dead. But awu seems didnt believe that

Whyyyy, why wouldn't she believe it when she could tell her aunt was up to no good the last time they had their tête à tête 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Polly said:

Those who've seen the episode where XQ woke up in the farmer's home with his chest bandaged. I thought his chest looked rather fake. I'm wondering if he was wearing a prosthetic chest. What do you all think? 

@Polly OMG!!!!!! I thought so too! I thought it was just me, but so glad you called it out. 

I'm a bit surprised, since Zhou Yiwei (actor for XQ) had said in interviews that he likes to keep as "natural" to the character as possible - he prefers minimal makeup, uses his real hairline, does most of his own stunts, etc. So I wonder why they used a prosthetic...

Edited by pewpew mew
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, pewpew mew said:

@Polly OMG!!!!!! I thought so too! I thought it was just me, but so glad you called it out. 

I'm a bit surprised, since Zhou Yiwei (actor for XQ) had said in interviews that he likes to keep as "natural" to the character as possible - he prefers minimal makeup, uses his real hairline, does most of his own stunts, etc. So I wonder why they used a prosthetic...

I noticed too. His chest just didn't look right. Maybe the director wanted Xiao Qi to have more defined abs. Idk

I noticed that Wang Su returned to the Capital with facial hair (depict the years pass). So I am not surprised the next time we see Xiao Qi he will also will have facial hair.

Just notice in the video clips that it would look like He Lan Zhen will forced Wang Xuan to marry him because the clothes she wore just before Xiao Qi's rescue with swords on her neck was that wedding attire He Lan Zhen presented her before. There was a clip of BTS that He Lan Zhen was dressed in red like a bridegroom. Xiao Qi will not be pleased because Wang Xuan is truly his. She was given to him by her father, decreed by the Emperor (although her Father and Aunt had a hand in that one) and finally she gave him her heart.

If I was Wang Xuan I too grow tired of repeating to myself that she does not fancies He Lan Zhen or Zi Dan. One kidnapped her again to keep her hostage by his side and the other took over a throne thinking it will help him gain Wang Xuan.

I actually loved that literally a slap on Su Jin Er's face that all she had accomplish was nothing. She just got an empty shell and will just to be a Gui Fei in name only. Moreover, she got the title because of her association with Wang Xuan.

I loved it that Xiao Qi did everything in an order unlike the two boys above. He got himself better. He gave his men a decent burial. Once he settled what he need to do, he went to look for his wife. Like his wife, he did not believe she is dead too.

It has been noted that the drama has diverted from the novel somewhat. With Zi Dan already on the throne then the next game plan will be Wang Lin usurp the throne. I suppose Xiao Qi will have to help Zi Dan because he is the rightful line. I had to laugh when Wang Lin commented how stupid his colleagues or even his sister for doubting Xiao Qi's loyalty. Wang Lin said that if Xiao Qi wanted the throne for himself, the country will have a long time ago have an Emperor with the Xiao surname.

Xiao Qi once again defended the throne for the Ma family and Zi Dan sat back on the throne and he then announced Wang Xuan as his Empress because she is still alive, Xiao Qi will really point the sword at him and says "Get Up! I am taking over." At his emotional state, I think it is possible. He does not believe Wang Xuan loves Xiao Qi and still hold on to the initial that she was forced into it.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jacquelinetan said:

I noticed that Wang Su returned to the Capital with facial hair (depict the years pass). So I am not surprised the next time we see Xiao Qi he will also will have facial hair.

Just notice in the video clips that it would look like He Lan Zhen will forced Wang Xuan to marry him because the clothes she wore just before Xiao Qi's rescue with swords on her neck was that wedding attire He Lan Zhen presented her before. There was a clip of BTS that He Lan Zhen was dressed in red like a bridegroom. Xiao Qi will not be pleased because Wang Xuan is truly his. She was given to him by her father, decreed by the Emperor (although her Father and Aunt had a hand in that one) and finally she gave him her heart.

If I was Wang Xuan I too grow tired of repeating to myself that she does not fancies He Lan Zhen or Zi Dan. One kidnapped her again to keep her hostage by his side and the other took over a throne thinking it will help him gain Wang Xuan.

I actually loved that literally a slap on Su Jin Er's face that all she had accomplish was nothing. She just got an empty shell and will just to be a Gui Fei in name only. Moreover, she got the title because of her association with Wang Xuan.

I loved it that Xiao Qi did everything in an order unlike the two boys above. He got himself better. He gave his men a decent burial. Once he settled what he need to do, he went to look for his wife. Like his wife, he did not believe she is dead too.

It has been noted that the drama has diverted from the novel somewhat. With Zi Dan already on the throne then the next game plan will be Wang Lin usurp the throne. I suppose Xiao Qi will have to help Zi Dan because he is the rightful line. I had to laugh when Wang Lin commented how stupid his colleagues or even his sister for doubting Xiao Qi's loyalty. Wang Lin said that if Xiao Qi wanted the throne for himself, the country will have a long time ago have an Emperor with the Xiao surname.

Xiao Qi once again defended the throne for the Ma family and Zi Dan sat back on the throne and he then announced Wang Xuan as his Empress because she is still alive, Xiao Qi will really point the sword at him and says "Get Up! I am taking over." At his emotional state, I think it is possible. He does not believe Wang Xuan loves Xiao Qi and still hold on to the initial that she was forced into it.

I am really getting tired of Su Jin Er character.  So pathetic, I can't wait until her character dies.  I can't wait until next week's episodes !!

• Like 5

I cant wait to see when Xiao Qi take over the throne  yes pls do us a favor clean all this mess up once and for all!
This drama is very good but some parts really make me frustrated (esp the snakes parts : Jin'er, Wang Qian and Wanrou) 
Also they give too much time for supporting roles, in this long 7 episodes (52-57)we only see XQ for less than 30 mins maybe? oprah winfrey judging you GIF

And I want to see Wang Xuan to be more consistent (like the other commenter mentioned before)
Somedays she is a baddas but somedays she is weak, cant fight back and let people "stomp" on her. 
This character of hers is incoherent with the title "Rebel Princess" 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, jacquelinetan said:

I suppose Xiao Qi will have to help Zi Dan because he is the rightful line. I had to laugh when Wang Lin commented how stupid his colleagues or even his sister for doubting Xiao Qi's loyalty. Wang Lin said that if Xiao Qi wanted the throne for himself, the country will have a long time ago have an Emperor with the Xiao surname.

Where do u think Song rebellion fits? Will Song kill wanglin or zitan? Idk how he is going to betray Xiao Xi, some say he already betrayed by giving ok to MR Wang Su

i really hope Xioa xi and wang xuan wil find out all the things were caused by everyone in the royal family before making the move. I guess we don’t have enough episodes left to cover all and not sure which plot they will cut, I hope they do   not cut WX having twins. 

how will they fit XQ rescue WX, wanglin rebellion, Song. Rebellion,   XQ becoming emperor, WQ delivering twins and surviving the delivery and our OTP living HEA, all these in 11 episodes Crazy. It seems they just left the first part of the episodes as is and cut the last .. Aish,, is there a way that they will release the rest of the episodes after 68?

Question: Did Xiao Xi find out that it was the royal family in cahoots with Helen zen? When he was trapped he knew it was HZ who wanted to kill but did he get the whole picture?

• Like 1

Finally they are updating english subs on dramacool!

Episode 48 was all about signs & omens, the most touching being the white horse not wanting to be left behind. Its weird how animals always sense danger before humans do. 

Was that old hag actually applying cream in front of the PM wishing she could get some support for her stupid ideas? :lol: The PM is definitely made of sterner stuff as he proved soon :lol: To hear even 2 genuine words of sense together in that palace makes me so happy!!

Jinger holding on to Awu's finger while he slept was so cute!! :wub:  The maid who is torturing that little tot is helping Zitan, so I assume this is with his blessing? Ofc the mother doesn't know because she has better things to worry about...how to kill a General, how to get husband back in her bed, how to bring back the Xie's to power, how to get power of the harem from the hag. 

The best part about this show are its outdoor shoots. Whoever is managing those is doing a splendid job. Be it the beautiful day Awu & XQ spent together in episode 13 or the many war sequences or this hunt in episode 49 & the following assasin chasing, each & every shot is so well done. And Zhou Yi Wei is such a splendid actor! His war scenes & even individual fight scenes are simply a delight to watch. But he isnt limited to just being an action hero, with every changing line on his face you understand what XQ is thinking at that moment. Simply wonderful!! :approves:

And finally another happy moment was watching Zilong slowly inch towards his death! Good that he will breathe his last in front of mommy dearest. Take him back to the Palace of Doom quickly folks! Till then suffer, rat! As you sow, so shall you reap (I will be using this proverb quite frequently from hereon :))

• Like 6

On 2/13/2021 at 11:58 AM, Jolie Bijoux said:

I cant wait to see when Xiao Qi take over the throne  yes pls do us a favor clean all this mess up once and for all!
This drama is very good but some parts really make me frustrated (esp the snakes parts : Jin'er, Wang Qian and Wanrou) 
Also they give too much time for supporting roles, in this long 7 episodes (52-57)we only see XQ for less than 30 mins maybe? oprah winfrey judging you GIF

And I want to see Wang Xuan to be more consistent (like the other commenter mentioned before)
Somedays she is a baddas but somedays she is weak, can't fight back and let people "stomp" on her. 
This character of hers is incoherent with the title "Rebel Princess" 

Ok, am I need to defend Awu here.  Let's not forget where she is.  This is a land where rapists and murderers run amok. She has to be very careful not to incur the wrath of not only sadistic Helan, but also the king and Helan Tuo. Also, she is being melancholic despite believing her husband is still alive, she has no way of finding out for a fact.  She just learned her cousin, her aunt, her former BFF, her former love, and even the maid she grew up with all conspired to kill her husband and betray her. Like she needs to process this and plan how to get the F out of Hulan.  She has to essentially play ice queen

• Like 4
  • Awesome 2

13 minutes ago, ValentineJ said:

Ok, am I need to defend Awu here.  Let's not forget where she is.  This is a land where rapists and murderers run amok. She has to be very careful not to incur the wrath of not only sadistic Helan, but also the king and Helan Tuo. Also, she is being melancholic despite believing her husband is still alive, she has no way of finding out for a fact.  She just learned her cousin, her aunt, her former BFF, her former love, and even the maid she grew up with all conspired to kill her husband and betray her. Like she needs to process this and plan how to get the F out of Hulan.  She has to essentially play ice queen

Hi everyone, I have enjoyed reading your comments. I am with you. She has literrally no one to count on a part from her guard who was put to jail and perhaps the couple that she got to know when she went to Hulan with Xiao Qi.

• Like 2

I like the healthy discussion here lol.
In my POV, I agree she just had her whole world crumbled, none to trust nor to count on, In order to survive she has to lower her head. But the fact that she let HZ called her "Awu" and let him touch her face frustated me lol
She was fiercer in her first kidnapped and now kinda soften in this second event? I mean this guy (HZ) kidnapped her, insulted her, almost killed her.
I watched it Raw and dont understand what they say but some touchy scenes made me uncomfortable lol. Maybe just me lmao.
Also about wang qian, she had been intolerably kind towards her before she finally got up and did the right thing.
And about Jin'er, writers made WX really dense about her and finally it leads to her second kidnap.
WX knows that jin'er isnt the same anymore and geez Jin'er always talk about Zitan way too affectionate. 
She had experince that even her dad and her aunty couldnt be trusted. But she seems to put too much trust to jin'er and wang qian? 
What happened with a woman's intuition? 
I like female character like Minglan who is always consistent from beginning till the end. As for another FL like SuSu in TMOPB really frustrating lol,but when she is Baiqian she is badass!

• Like 7

He Lan is such a wimp really. He knows he stands no chance against XQ in a direct combat & hence resorts to low tricks of kidnapping a woman first & then 2 little kids. Yuck! A true companion for the other wimp Zitan. Even the common foot soldiers of Ningshuo & the horses are braver than him. I hope XQ tells him the good news that his mother's killer is still alive & well when he finally swings the axe to chop off his head. Let him die with the knowledge that he is a true loser who didnt avenge anyone's death :)

Salutes to General Hu, a courageous soldier, a faithful friend & to every soldier of Ningshuo who chose to keep faith in their Lord & chose death over slavery to the dumb! MASSIVE RESPECT!! :thumbsup:

The snakes of Cheng must all be non-venomous since they donated all their venom to the Palace people. The old hag was barely able to control her smile even as Zilong lay dying. Just because she would be getting rid of Wanru. And Wanru, true hypocrite as always handed the burden of the Prince to Awu but in return wouldn't even tell her the truth that it was she, Zilong, He Lan, Zitan & the hag who planned to assasinate XQ & frame him with treason. Even with death staring her in the face speaking the truth, doing good to someone are all impossible things for her. That is how deep the rot is. New lows with every episode. Well Wanru....as you sow, so shall you reap! Now DIE! :)

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, Thuc Duyen said:

Hi everyone, I have enjoyed reading your comments. I am with you. She has literrally no one to count on a part from her guard who was put to jail and perhaps the couple that she got to know when she went to Hulan with Xiao Qi.

And she didn't even know that Pang Cui was still alive until she saw him at that cliffhanger.  She needs to tread very lightly right now

39 minutes ago, Jolie Bijoux said:

I like the healthy discussion here lol.
In my POV, I agree she just had her whole world crumbled, none to trust nor to count on, In order to survive she has to lower her head. But the fact that she let HZ called her "Awu" and let him touch her face frustated me lol
She was fiercer in her first kidnapped and now kinda soften in this second event? I mean this guy (HZ) kidnapped her, insulted her, almost killed her.
I watched it Raw and dont understand what they say but some touchy scenes made me uncomfortable lol. Maybe just me lmao.
Also about wang qian, she had been intolerably kind towards her before she finally got up and did the right thing.
And about Jin'er, writers made WX really dense about her and finally it leads to her second kidnap.
WX knows that jin'er isnt the same anymore and geez Jin'er always talk about Zitan way too affectionate. 
She had experince that even her dad and her aunty couldnt be trusted. But she seems to put too much trust to jin'er and wang qian? 
What happened with a woman's intuition? 
I like female character like Minglan who is always consistent from beginning till the end. As for another FL like SuSu in TMOPB really frustrating lol,but when she is Baiqian she is badass!

Tbh, I truly do not like the comparison with MingLan because it was a completely different situation.  Awu did not grow up in a household where she had to fight for her place and learn about duplicity.  She grew up pampered, so it is normal for her to be a bit naive when it comes to people's duplicity.  Also, someone else stated that the reason she may have been blind to Su Jin's behavior might be due to her being used to Su Jin constantly talking about Zitan.  It was normal back then when Awu dated the prince, so she never picked on the obsession.  

43 minutes ago, The.Lannister said:

He Lan is such a wimp really. He knows he stands no chance against XQ in a direct combat & hence resorts to low tricks of kidnapping a woman first & then 2 little kids. Yuck! A true companion for the other wimp Zitan. Even the common foot soldiers of Ningshuo & the horses are braver than him. I hope XQ tells him the good news that his mother's killer is still alive & well when he finally swings the axe to chop off his head. Let him die with the knowledge that he is a true loser who didnt avenge anyone's death :)

Salutes to General Hu, a courageous soldier, a faithful friend & to every soldier of Ningshuo who chose to keep faith in their Lord & chose death over slavery to the dumb! MASSIVE RESPECT!! :thumbsup:

The snakes of Cheng must all be non-venomous since they donated all their venom to the Palace people. The old hag was barely able to control her smile even as Zilong lay dying. Just because she would be getting rid of Wanru. And Wanru, true hypocrite as always handed the burden of the Prince to Awu but in return wouldn't even tell her the truth that it was she, Zilong, He Lan, Zitan & the hag who planned to assasinate XQ & frame him with treason. Even with death staring her in the face speaking the truth, doing good to someone are all impossible things for her. That is how deep the rot is. New lows with every episode. Well Wanru....as you sow, so shall you reap! Now DIE! :)

At least karma bit them in the RickRoll'D.  Still waiting for Su Jin and Zitan to get theirs

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ValentineJ said:

And she didn't even know that Pang Cui was still alive until she saw him at that cliffhanger.  She needs to tread very lightly right now

Tbh, I truly do not like the comparison with MingLan because it was a completely different situation.  Awu did not grow up in a household where she had to fight for her place and learn about duplicity.  She grew up pampered, so it is normal for her to be a bit naive when it comes to people's duplicity.  Also, someone else stated that the reason she may have been blind to Su Jin's behavior might be due to her being used to Su Jin constantly talking about Zitan.  It was normal back then when Awu dated the prince, so she never picked on the obsession.  

At least karma bit them in the RickRoll'D.  Still waiting for Su Jin and Zitan to get theirs

Agreed, I can't wait for these two Su Jin and Zitan to go. I can't stand Su Jin.

• Like 2

Catching up and almost died at ep 50  @ 14 and 30 ..... Hu Yao you are MY princess :heartbreak: , none of the royal s...t can match your heroism and your heart...you and your brother are immortal to me and you showed more love and devotion to XQ than is humanly possible .  I am crying for all 3 of you and the horses now , such beautiful souls :cold_sweat:   :heart:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, The.Lannister said:

The best part about this show are its outdoor shoots. Whoever is managing those is doing a splendid job. Be it the beautiful day Awu & XQ spent together in episode 13 or the many war sequences or this hunt in episode 49 & the following assasin chasing, each & every shot is so well done. And Zhou Yi Wei is such a splendid actor! His war scenes & even individual fight scenes are simply a delight to watch. But he isnt limited to just being an action hero, with every changing line on his face you understand what XQ is thinking at that moment. Simply wonderful!! :approves:

And finally another happy moment was watching Zilong slowly inch towards his death! Good that he will breathe his last in front of mommy dearest. Take him back to the Palace of Doom quickly folks! Till then suffer, rat! As you sow, so shall you reap (I will be using this proverb quite frequently from hereon :))

They are so well executed.The snail paced and flat build up to the impending fight to finish of epi49-50 didn't do justice to it.

The scenes were adrenaline rush inducing. To watch Xiao Qi and his men in action was superb..It showcased the pygmy stature of He LanZhen  in front of the General.Beautifully potrayed why he was revered by all as God of war.

Unpopular opinion...he overshadows the princess with his limited presence.Just goes to show when a character is well etched it shines bright.

If only his princess had been the lioness in captivity it would have been a pleasure to watch...I miss her spunk and chutpazah in the 1st kidnapping phase.I can understand He Lan Zhen going gentle as he believes in his win and that she has no way out but comply.Awu's attitude perplexes me..I know going forward her character will suddenly forgo amnesia and will become smarter then Sherlock Holmes. But this pendulum swing of the princess will leave a disappointment in my heart.

She is a great actress who is underutilized in her mint fresh series foray.

• Like 5