[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] The Rebel Princess上阳赋

sugarplum892

4 hours ago, samantha ngo li said:

At the beginning of the drama Awu brother concubine was pregnant - what happen to her?  Remember Wang Lin was saying if it is a boy it will be sent away because it isn't from his legit wife? 

Maybe writers forget about her ?forget will smith GIF

And yes Im confused about General Song, will he really betray XQ and Awu? Till what point ? Obviously He isn't the same person from beginning but if he works for Wang Su then there's still hope? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

4 hours ago, samantha ngo li said:

I hope Awu brother, General Song and whoever is left on their side doesn't betrayal Awu & XQ.  With few episodes left I hope they don't have any loose ends.  

At the beginning of the drama Awu brother concubine was pregnant - what happen to her?  Remember Wang Lin was saying if it is a boy it will be sent away because it isn't from his legit wife?  And now Awu brother has another love interest?

Do all of you think He Lan Zhen stays alive to confirm to the Minister's that XQ is innocent?  If not He Lan Zhen then who?

So true! Let at least someone stay loyal till the very end. There have been too many betrayals already. Song might help Wang Lin till he thinks XQ is dead, after that he truly has no reason to side with WL

In the episode where Wang Lin pushed Wang Su in the the pond...didnt he throw out all his concubines that night? I am not sure...I dont remember clearly. 

28 minutes ago, Jolie Bijoux said:

I hope so too! I watch drama to escape reality, not to be sadden!

Be still my beating heart.... 

Hahaha exactly!! 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, gingerchews said:

@Polly

@The.Lannister

https://twitter.com/ByunBaekoned/status/1361621622470238208?s=20

In this teaser, I don't think it's HZ. I think it's HT or someone else.

HZ's left hand was cut off by XQ. In the teaser above, whoever is sitting in the prison still has their left hand (you can guess based on the posture they have their left hand hanging over their bent knee). 

Maybe HZ is sitting in another cage...

Yes, you're right. Very sharp! But there are 2 cages. So maybe HZ is in the other cage, as it doesn't make sense to only capture HT. Unless HZ is dead or managed to escape again(?) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The.Lannister said:

So true! Let at least someone stay loyal till the very end. There have been too many betrayals already. Song might help Wang Lin till he thinks XQ is dead, after that he truly has no reason to side with WL

In the episode where Wang Lin pushed Wang Su in the the pond...didnt he throw out all his concubines that night? I am not sure...I dont remember clearly. 

Hahaha exactly!! 

Wang Su seems like a decent man, if Wang Lin threw out his concubines he would have gotten them back once his father was kicked out of the capital?  Just seems strange.....

I am crossing my fingers General Song doesn't betray XQ.  Beside the girl soldier, XQ doesn't have any soldier to trust.

I can't wait until Jin Er gets what she deserves, her character is so pitiful.  Zitan is pitiful too - his character doesn't see that Awu doesn't want him anymore, so blind.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, samantha ngo li said:

crossing my fingers General Song doesn't betray XQ.  Beside the girl soldier, XQ doesn't have any soldier to trust.

There is still General Tang (the 4th shorter one besides General Song, General Hu and Hu's sister). He stayed behind to look after Ning Shuo. We'll get to see him again once XQ and Awu returns to Ning Shuo. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, The.Lannister said:

The old King at least confessed to everything he did. Zilong & Wanru even when staring death in the face just continued with their half truths & sick lies. I really do not want XQ or Awu to be the Royal Family's servants where they keep cleaning up the mess of every royal brainless brat

Folks on Tumblr say that in China sponsorship doesn't allow TV shows to show commoners overthrowing monarchs or rebelling against governments. And hence we may not get XQ becoming King. I dont know how true this is since this is just my 2nd historical Cdrama. Of course it would be great to see XQ become King but even if he doesnt I wouldnt mind that much. Firstly because that Kingdom truly needs a General since that country surprisingly has Kings I think havent even picked up a wooden sword ever. Secondly he could serve as the man who has the guts to tell the King how things stand in the Kingdom, no sweet talks, no diplomacy, just the simple truth & thus ensuring the King becomes a better ruler (if he wants to be one that is ofc! Not applicable to self serving *** like Zilongs & Zitans of the world) & become the connecting link between people & government. 

Zilong at least worded a better apology.He. apologized for what he did earlier and now.I think he was ashamed of saying out loud about planning the assassination attempt on Xiao Qi and then ask her favor.Maybe if Zilong had more time like his dad he might have come clean.His wife remained selfish till the end.She should have known grand ambitions befit people who have a sharp intellect or else the average Joe's predicament is a brutal end.

That's an interesting way of presenting his or her story but not history.If the mainland people viewing are ok with it I don't mind.I am here for fun viewing anyways.

I do differ from the POV of Xiao Qi just being a general.He is an honest,intelligent,upright guy who has a mass following. Any monarch will see him as a threat to their reign.The reason why 3 kings tried to do away with him unsuccessfully.If he and Awu have to survive in peace they need to be the power center.

The beauty of fiction is that the last ruler before the series ends might become wise,gracious and respectful of Xiao Qi without malice allowing him to live as a popular and powerful general gaurding borders forever.

• Like 5

On 2/15/2021 at 10:56 PM, minglanfan2 said:

The esteemed beard makes an appearance on Xiao Qi too.He looks good with it.The actor does carry different looks quite well.:wub: 

i was worried with beard look but have to agree he is more charming and bold. Can’t weight for new episodes :approves:

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Short recaps for eps 58 and 59

Spoiler

- Awu found the imprisoned Pang Gui and XQ's 2 adopted kids. Through the kids she found out that HZ used them to threaten XQ, and that he was severely wounded and likely death. 

- Awu mourns for XQ and reminiscences the good old days with him (this is the scene in trailers where she is standing in the grasslands wearing folkloric clothes and a white flower in her hair). Although, she doesn't verbalise it, you can tell from her face and eyes that she is determined to revenge (kudos to ZZY's good acting). 

- She went to HZ to tell him that she agrees to marry him if he releases the prisoners. He agrees and elatedly hugs her but her eyes are vengeful. 

- On the day of the wedding, halima and her husband releases all the prisoners. Pang Gui refuses to leave and went to look for Awu. 

- Meanwhile, Awu dressed in wedding attire gets captured. Turns out HZ's father swaped the brides. HZ only found out that he married another nomadic tribe's princess when he removed her veil in the bridal tent (The princess is the one his father earlier arranged for him but he rejected). HZ storms out of his tent and attacks HT demanding an explanation. HT told him that it's all their father's plan. HZ infuriated went to look for his father. When he went into his father's tent. The father was already death, stabbed in his abdomen with a sword. HZ gets framed by HT for killing his own father. Chaos ensues and HZ's and HR's followers battle each other but HZ is outnumbered and gets captured by HT. The guy with the tattoo on his forehead dies in this battle. 

-In another tent, while captured, WQ humiliates Awu. Asking Awu to beg, kneel etc. WQ ends up stepping on Awu's back, and out of instinct Awu retaliate, and WQ ends up falling on the floor. She is pregnant so the fall triggered her labour/miscarriage and all the maids rush to attend to WQ. Just nice Pang Gui came in and releases Awu. They tried to fight their way out but there are too many of HT's people so they got captured again. 

- HZ is held captive on a platform and publicly accused for killing his father. Awu was also brought to the platform. HT publicly announces that he will let the 2 "love birds" die together. HZ begs for HT to release Awu. HT then softly tells HZ that it's not XQ who killed his mom and sis but he did. After hearing this, HZ became furious but he couldn't do anything as his hands were bound. He begs HT again for releasing Awu. HT then gave Awu a sword asking her to kill HZ and in return he will release her. Awu took the sword but instead of killing HZ she tried slashing HT but failed. HT again passed her the sword and asked her to kill HZ. This time, she moved hesitantly towards HZ. HZ told her to kill him in order to safe herself. To antagonise her he told her that it was he who killed her beloved XQ. For a moment it looked like Awu was really going to stab HZ but instead she cut the rope that was holding HZ. HZ tried to fight for a while. But again they were outnumbered and HZ got stabbed mutilple times trying to shield Awu. When all seems gloomy and lost, suddenly a big drum appeared and heroic XQ managed to capture HT and shouted full of testosterone that nobody should move (this scene is so cliché but I'm totally digging it hehehe). 

- In the capital there were also some activities: (1) Jin Er managed to seduce Zidan in bed but the next morning, Zidan received reports that Awu is still alive and in hulan, and Zidan totally neglects Jiner again. In court he insists to safe Awu even if it means going to war with hulan. All officials oppose (incl. WS and Song but they've an ulterior motive of making Zidan look incompetent as an emperor). Zidan gets visibly agitated and says that he'll personally lead the convoy to fetch Awu himself. (2) WS and WL are grooming Song to be the next XQ (as they need military support in their quest for the throne). At this stage, Song is still not on the dark side yet but I can totally see how Song can turn dark though the machinations of father and son Wang. 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, minglanfan2 said:

He Lan Zhen needed to pay a stiff price for trying to kill Xiao Qi and kidnap Awu..His sacrifice to save Awu was such an anticlimax. Please can we see the villains pay dearly and not be let off the hook easily..

I don’t think he is dead yet,  hopefully he survives and get a revenge on HT and pays his due to  XQ by helping him. 

The reunion was short. single scene that’s it?

There was no proper revenge yet from Xioa xi and Awu for the Hu general and the lost soldiers and his asasination. Only at the end of ep 63 Awu gets to know who was behind the plot. 

Instead of unconditionally standing behind her husband and coming up with the takedown bad people plot, why she still acts like a Saint and worried abt the fight between husband and zitan. She still did not tell him yet, also funny thing she directly went to Su Jin to give a face to face break up, not even a slap.

I’m extremely disappointed, there was no Awu badass , I think I’ll just have to wait on forever fir the scenario where she should have returned to them on double or triple dosses on what she and her husband got.

Hopefully after subs I may have better understanding of her view point

also I feel like all the bad guys got plenty of scenes And Our OTP got less, 

in the remaining 5 episodes will they cover the remaining plot? How would they fit in everything zitan overthrown, wanglin ascending  throne and him being over thrown and Song  betrayal and down fall and Xioa xi becoming emperor and OTP HEA and having kids. I think we have to forgot about few, idk I’d they will just wrap up thier ending in a single scene 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Kachan02 said:

Instead of unconditionally standing behind her husband and coming up with the takedown bad people plot, why she still acts like a Saint and worried abt the fight between husband and zitan. She still did not tell him yet, also funny thing she directly went to Su Jin to give a face to face break up, not even a slap.

I’m extremely disappointed, there was no Awu badass , I think I’ll just have to wait on forever fir the scenario where she should have returned to them on double or triple dosses on what she and her husband got.

Totally agree! At this point, I feel like she doesn't even deserve XQ.

In one of the eps, they had a moment together and she asks him, Will you change? And XQ basically responds that he hasn't and that he doesn't care what other people think of him. He only cares about her. Through all of his actions, he constantly proves that he loves her, that he will never betray her. He is so steadfast to her.

Yet in a later episode, Awu talks to Aunt Xu (her maid) and asks, Don't you feel like XQ has changed? ...Well, gurl, his loyal buddy and army was just murdered and framed for being traitors. Your husband barely got out alive. He is justified in his anger and quest for justice. Yet you're still so iffy about standing strong with him. 

55 minutes ago, Polly said:

Short recaps for eps 58 and 59

Reveal hidden contents

- Awu found the imprisoned Pang Gui and XQ's 2 adopted kids. Through the kids she found out that HZ used them to threaten XQ, and that he was severely wounded and likely death. 

- Awu mourns for XQ and reminiscences the good old days with him (this is the scene in trailers where she is standing in the grasslands wearing folkloric clothes and a white flower in her hair). Although, she doesn't verbalise it, you can tell from her face and eyes that she is determined to revenge (kudos to ZZY's good acting). 

- She went to HZ to tell him that she agrees to marry him if he releases the prisoners. He agrees and elatedly hugs her but her eyes are vengeful. 

- On the day of the wedding, halima and her husband releases all the prisoners. Pang Gui refuses to leave and went to look for Awu. 

- Meanwhile, Awu dressed in wedding attire gets captured. Turns out HZ's father swaped the brides. HZ only found out that he married another nomadic tribe's princess when he removed her veil in the bridal tent (The princess is the one his father earlier arranged for him but he rejected). HZ storms out of his tent and attacks HT demanding an explanation. HT told him that it's all their father's plan. HZ infuriated went to look for his father. When he went into his father's tent. The father was already death, stabbed in his abdomen with a sword. HZ gets framed by HT for killing his own father. Chaos ensues and HZ's and HR's followers battle each other but HZ is outnumbered and gets captured by HT. The guy with the tattoo on his forehead dies in this battle. 

-In another tent, while captured, WQ humiliates Awu. Asking Awu to beg, kneel etc. WQ ends up stepping on Awu's back, and out of instinct Awu retaliate, and WQ ends up falling on the floor. She is pregnant so the fall triggered her labour/miscarriage and all the maids rush to attend to WQ. Just nice Pang Gui came in and releases Awu. They tried to fight their way out but there are too many of HT's people so they got captured again. 

- HZ is held captive on a platform and publicly accused for killing his father. Awu was also brought to the platform. HT publicly announces that he will let the 2 "love birds" die together. HZ begs for HT to release Awu. HT then softly tells HZ that it's not XQ who killed his mom and sis but he did. After hearing this, HZ became furious but he couldn't do anything as his hands were bound. He begs HT again for releasing Awu. HT then gave Awu a sword asking her to kill HZ and in return he will release her. Awu took the sword but instead of killing HZ she tried slashing HT but failed. HT again passed her the sword and asked her to kill HZ. This time, she moved hesitantly towards HZ. HZ told her to kill him in order to safe herself. To antagonise her he told her that it was he who killed her beloved XQ. For a moment it looked like Awu was really going to stab HZ but instead she cut the rope that was holding HZ. HZ tried to fight for a while. But again they were outnumbered and HZ got stabbed mutilple times trying to shield Awu. When all seems gloomy and lost, suddenly a big drum appeared and heroic XQ managed to capture HT and shouted full of testosterone that nobody should move (this scene is so cliché but I'm totally digging it hehehe). 

- In the capital there were also some activities: (1) Jin Er managed to seduce Zidan in bed but the next morning, Zidan received reports that Awu is still alive and in hulan, and Zidan totally neglects Jiner again. In court he insists to safe Awu even if it means going to war with hulan. All officials oppose (incl. WS and Song but they've an ulterior motive of making Zidan look incompetent as an emperor). Zidan gets visibly agitated and says that he'll personally lead the convoy to fetch Awu himself. (2) WS and WL are grooming Song to be the next XQ (as they need military support in their quest for the throne). At this stage, Song is still not on the dark side yet but I can totally see how Song can turn dark though the machinations of father and son Wang. 

Here's a quick summary for 59 onwards: 

Spoiler

Some big moments in general-ish order:

-XQ, Awu and the freed slaves head back to Ningshou

-XQ regains control of the Ningshou army

-Sweet cuddle moment between Awu and XQ and she tells him he’s the most important person to her, no matter where he goes, she will always be by his side

-XQ heads towards Cheng (the capital) and it takes them about half a year (!!!!!!) because along the way, they get into some minor fights to settle the country (which has been in chaos since XQ’s been gone)

-Once XQ heads into Cheng, he is confronted by General Song – they don’t outright engage in a fight, but it’s clear they are on opposite sides. XQ is on a quest for truth and justice; General Song is here to “protect” the capital

-Given XQ’s army power, his court subjects pressure Zitan to “forgive” XQ as a traitor – basically Zitan’s message was that it was horrible what happened, we must investigate the incidence but while XQ is not a traitor, he is not yet proven innocent. He can stay in Cheng but stripped of his titles, his manor, etc.

-XQ said nah, I’m not gonna listen to that edict

-Zitan was forced to retract this and let XQ comes back into Cheng as Lord (his rightful title) and live in his manor and investigate who tried to frame him

-Another sweet moment between XQ and Awu where she says everyone changes, will you? XQ said, my feelings towards you will never change.

-Awu confronts Su Jin and asked why she betrayed her. Su Jin reveals an insecurity here: as a maid, she always lived in the shadows of Awu’s glamour (I guess Su Jin was bitter about her humble background). But now, she’s a favored concubine while Awu is married to a Lord that was once accused of being a traitor. Also, Su Jin is pregnant.

-Hu Yao finds out XQ is alive and rides back to the manor to see him; she tells him what happened that day (that her brother told her to switch their identities so people would think XQ was dead) and that once Hu Yao got XQ on the horse, she fainted and was subsequently picked up by Zitan’s people as they rode into Cheng. She didn’t know what happened to XQ (who we know was picked up by a friendly farmer couple)

-XQ and Awu have a nice moment out by a river to play with the two children; XQ asks if they want a new mother? They said yes and XQ and Awu adopted them right then and there. Pretty sweet moment.

-Then Awu RUINED it by asking XQ to give up his quest for justice and instead just live a peaceful life. Of course, XQ responded that once he gets justice for his dead soldiers, they can leave everything behind and live a normal life.

-Empress Dowager still has a few tricks up her sleeve! She revealed to Awu it was Zitan who plotted and framed XQ

-Awu confronts Zitan and she gets the truth

-Awu doesn’t tell XQ because she’s afraid that if the General killed the Emperor, then it would further disrupt the country’s stability… This is SUCH A WEAK ARGUMENT! My god, Zitan is a meh Emperor as is and he PLOTTED TO KILL your husband, yet you waver on revealing this truth to XQ (even knowing how much he wants to get justice for his dead soldiers)

-Daddy Wang figures out that Su Jin’s child is NOT Zitan’s because the timing isn’t right (she’s 9 months pregnant but has only been in the palace for 7 months) – this was the last big reveal in ep 63

Throughout, some other stuff happens, but in general those were the bigger plot points.

I have to say…

DADDY WANG

-You’re soooooo evil but I really like you! You’re a genius mastermind and figured out everyone’s plots and connected all the dots. You kinda deserve to be king.

-You knew Zitan would never be able lead an army to save Awu; you knew his court subjects would stop him and this would only make him appear as a lovesick weakling in front of his subjects

-You knew something was fishy with Su Jin. I loved the line when you remarked, “Concubine Su Jin? Ha, no matter what she will always just be one of Awu’s maid”

-You spotted General Song’s weakness – General Song is insecure about his humble beginnings so that makes him overcompensate, which makes General Song easier to corrupt. That’s how you’re able to manipulate General Song to do your bidding. I love your comment about how while XQ and General Song might appear the same, they are not. XQ is incorruptible because he’s smart and is secure in himself, plus there’s not much he desires. On the other hand, General Song needs someone to lead him (as XQ has always led him as a brother); he’s not as sure of himself and therefore easily led astray.

-You are sooo soooo sooooo ambitious but you also love your daughter and you’re proud of her – what a complex character

AWU

-I don’t like you much. Compared to XQ’s conviction and devotion, you seem like such a weak character.

ZITAN

-I liked you for 1 second because in one of the episodes, you told Su Jin “‘Awu?’ Someone like you doesn’t have the right to say her birth name. No matter what happens, you should always address her as Shang Yang Princess.” Which really hits Su Jin right in her weakness. Even if she has the title of being the Emperor’s Concubine, Su Jin will never measure up to Awu in Zitan’s eyes.

• Like 12
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

My top favourite scene is of course the big rescue. Great, He Lan Tuo is the one who told He Lan Zhen that he is the one who killed his mother and sister. Like I predicted, He Lan Zhen "died" saving Wang Xuan. Despite her best intention I knew Wang Xuan can never bring herself to kill He Lan Zhen. She did not do it when she was kidnapped the first time so she will not do so this time as well. It was a good idea to cut He Lan Zhen loose as she is no fighter and He Lan Zhen could be of some help. He took two big spears into his back so can he still be alive? I loved the above explanation "DUM DUM DUM", the big drum to the rescue.

I am shocked that Zi Dan wanted to start a war with Hu Lan to get Wang Xuan back. He did not do it the first time so I doubt even declaring a war will help. Xiao Qi once again beat him to it when it was announced Wang Xuan was rescued by Xiao Qi. Noted taken he has everyone referred Wang Xuan by a maiden title Princess Shang Yang. He does not want Wang Xuan to have any association with Xiao Qi. Another shocker in the end, Zi Dan's reason for revenge against Xiao Qi was he stole his wife. Wang Xuan just walked out in disbelief.

I had such a big smirk on my face when Su Jin Er managed to seduce Zi Dan by using the same Wang Xuan's favourite scent. What choice does he have when you are the only occupant in his harem. She got him to bed but like the same devaju he jumped straight out of her bed when he found out that Wang Xuan is alive. Then again the scolding that she can never refer Wang Xuan by her birth name and a clear reminder of her lowly status. Later, Wang Xuan reminded her of her former employment as her maid when Su Jin Er reprimanded Aunt Zu for not giving her the proper respect. Her retort reminded me on how she dealt with the two maids in Ningshou.

No passionate reunion that I had hope. We got a family day though. Really nice. Xiao Qi presented Wang Xuan with a ready made family. She even included Jing Er into their flock.

I have an interpretation on Wang Xuan taking the current stance. She saw that if the country is not stable, the people suffers. The results will be widows and orphans and people are hungry. Wang Xuan realized a different take on her Wang family motto "Mother of the nation". It is not the purpose of providing an Empress but the family must be "mother" of the nation. Only a woman can think in those terms. Wang Lin will not agree. Wang Xuan sees herself representing three parts of the nations, she is of the bloodline of the royal family, the nobles and the wife of a man from the people. She is trying to unify all three into one peaceful circle.

General Song is corrupted. It seems his mansion is even more elaborate than Xiao Qi's. Wang Lin said that General Song is more like him. I must say he is really good reading people but he misread Xiao Qi who cannot be corrupted. He does acknowledge that Xiao Qi is his ideal for a husband for Wang Xuan.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I cant believe there is someone like empress dowager. She is going to die soon but still like old fox. Sometimes having good character like awu is annoying, she has been taken advantage by people around her, but still kind to those people. But xiao qi still encouraged her to do such thing.

For Song Huai En, i have different opinion. I think he wants to help xiao qi but from different side. Perhaps Being spy in palace??? Some scene, looks like he still emotional when its about ning shuo and military.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gingerchews said:

Totally agree! At this point, I feel like she doesn't even deserve XQ.

In one of the eps, they had a moment together and she asks him, Will you change? And XQ basically responds that he hasn't and that he doesn't care what other people think of him. He only cares about her. Through all of his actions, he constantly proves that he loves her, that he will never betray her. He is so steadfast to her.

Yet in a later episode, Awu talks to Aunt Xu (her maid) and asks, Don't you feel like XQ has changed? ...Well, gurl, his loyal buddy and army was just murdered and framed for being traitors. Your husband barely got out alive. He is justified in his anger and quest for justice. Yet you're still so iffy about standing strong with him. 

Here's a quick summary for 59 onwards: 

Hide contents

Some big moments in general-ish order:

-XQ, Awu and the freed slaves head back to Ningshou

-XQ regains control of the Ningshou army

-Sweet cuddle moment between Awu and XQ and she tells him he’s the most important person to her, no matter where he goes, she will always be by his side

-XQ heads towards Cheng (the capital) and it takes them about half a year (!!!!!!) because along the way, they get into some minor fights to settle the country (which has been in chaos since XQ’s been gone)

-Once XQ heads into Cheng, he is confronted by General Song – they don’t outright engage in a fight, but it’s clear they are on opposite sides. XQ is on a quest for truth and justice; General Song is here to “protect” the capital

-Given XQ’s army power, his court subjects pressure Zitan to “forgive” XQ as a traitor – basically Zitan’s message was that it was horrible what happened, we must investigate the incidence but while XQ is not a traitor, he is not yet proven innocent. He can stay in Cheng but stripped of his titles, his manor, etc.

-XQ said nah, I’m not gonna listen to that edict

-Zitan was forced to retract this and let XQ comes back into Cheng as Lord (his rightful title) and live in his manor and investigate who tried to frame him

-Another sweet moment between XQ and Awu where she says everyone changes, will you? XQ said, my feelings towards you will never change.

-Awu confronts Su Jin and asked why she betrayed her. Su Jin reveals an insecurity here: as a maid, she always lived in the shadows of Awu’s glamour (I guess Su Jin was bitter about her humble background). But now, she’s a favored concubine while Awu is married to a Lord that was once accused of being a traitor. Also, Su Jin is pregnant.

-Hu Yao finds out XQ is alive and rides back to the manor to see him; she tells him what happened that day (that her brother told her to switch their identities so people would think XQ was dead) and that once Hu Yao got XQ on the horse, she fainted and was subsequently picked up by Zitan’s people as they rode into Cheng. She didn’t know what happened to XQ (who we know was picked up by a friendly farmer couple)

-XQ and Awu have a nice moment out by a river to play with the two children; XQ asks if they want a new mother? They said yes and XQ and Awu adopted them right then and there. Pretty sweet moment.

-Then Awu RUINED it by asking XQ to give up his quest for justice and instead just live a peaceful life. Of course, XQ responded that once he gets justice for his dead soldiers, they can leave everything behind and live a normal life.

-Empress Dowager still has a few tricks up her sleeve! She revealed to Awu it was Zitan who plotted and framed XQ

-Awu confronts Zitan and she gets the truth

-Awu doesn’t tell XQ because she’s afraid that if the General killed the Emperor, then it would further disrupt the country’s stability… This is SUCH A WEAK ARGUMENT! My god, Zitan is a meh Emperor as is and he PLOTTED TO KILL your husband, yet you waver on revealing this truth to XQ (even knowing how much he wants to get justice for his dead soldiers)

-Daddy Wang figures out that Su Jin’s child is NOT Zitan’s because the timing isn’t right (she’s 9 months pregnant but has only been in the palace for 7 months) – this was the last big reveal in ep 63

Throughout, some other stuff happens, but in general those were the bigger plot points.

I have to say…

DADDY WANG

-You’re soooooo evil but I really like you! You’re a genius mastermind and figured out everyone’s plots and connected all the dots. You kinda deserve to be king.

-You knew Zitan would never be able lead an army to save Awu; you knew his court subjects would stop him and this would only make him appear as a lovesick weakling in front of his subjects

-You knew something was fishy with Su Jin. I loved the line when you remarked, “Concubine Su Jin? Ha, no matter what she will always just be one of Awu’s maid”

-You spotted General Song’s weakness – General Song is insecure about his humble beginnings so that makes him overcompensate, which makes General Song easier to corrupt. That’s how you’re able to manipulate General Song to do your bidding. I love your comment about how while XQ and General Song might appear the same, they are not. XQ is incorruptible because he’s smart and is secure in himself, plus there’s not much he desires. On the other hand, General Song needs someone to lead him (as XQ has always led him as a brother); he’s not as sure of himself and therefore easily led astray.

-You are sooo soooo sooooo ambitious but you also love your daughter and you’re proud of her – what a complex character

AWU

-I don’t like you much. Compared to XQ’s conviction and devotion, you seem like such a weak character.

ZITAN

-I liked you for 1 second because in one of the episodes, you told Su Jin “‘Awu?’ Someone like you doesn’t have the right to say her birth name. No matter what happens, you should always address her as Shang Yang Princess.” Which really hits Su Jin right in her weakness. Even if she has the title of being the Emperor’s Concubine, Su Jin will never measure up to Awu in Zitan’s eyes.

Yesdaddy wang can read through about almost characters in the drama LOL

Im kinda disappointed that less passionate reunion between Xq and Awu.. also that  Awu hid the truth that zi dan joined the plot and framed Xq. I mean if there was no luck and Hu bro sis, SHe lost XQ already.

The only anger i noticed was her revenge eyes when she was hugged by Helan zhen before the wed. 

• Like 5

I loved how Xiao Qi is no longer kowtowing to the Royal Court. He did not allowed Wang Xuan to kneel before the Royal Decree. After all how they frame him and made his men fight with their own fellow men. He brought with him 100,000 men with him to make his statement. The Ministers are all shaking in their pants had to get Zi Dan to give in everything Xiao Qi asked for.

At least, I notice that Yu Xiu still has an impact with General Song as he is still gentle with her so it is said she will take the same course like Wang Xuan's mother and jumped to her death. It seems that she already had her child so not sure she will be pregnant with her 2nd child when she leapt to her death or not.

I wander if they will sent Hu Yao to become Zi Dan's Empress to keep him in check.

Empress Dowager when she is of a sound mind cannot accept defeat. Even old boyfriend is afraid to see her.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your great summary. I cried my eyes out on EP62-63 when General Hu’s sister told Xia Qi about her brother’s death and saving our lord. Daddy Wang is just brilliant in connecting all the dots. I wish there was passionate scenes between Awu & Xiao Qi. All the villains just came out in forc.

• Like 2