[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] The Rebel Princess上阳赋

sugarplum892

Thank you guys for the summary, as a RAW spectator I Love reading your comments.

Hope in the last 5 episodes we can see Awu support XQ unconditionally, she needs to come to her sense that literally everyone wanted her husband dead. I want to see a mutual support and trust.

This is not "Saint Princess" but "Rebel Princess" it's almost finish, give us a badass princess who can wrap and make her mind and take Action pls At ONCE!

Maybe writers want to show that as a rebel princess she has that top material : A Qualified Husband to be the Emperor. 

I just love Xiao Qi in every aspects.

I was really suprised when I saw Empress Dowager again, thought she was dead already.

And Awu is jumping to her like : "oh you seem pitiful, let's be friends auntie, and let me tell you all my problems"

I love the rendezvous Xiao Qi - Gen Song, Xiao Qi's horse is steady yet Gen Song's horse is trembled. 

Love the analogy.

Zitan : cant make comment anymore,someone hurry bring him down pls

WangLin , as always from beginning till end He shows that he has brain

Btw where is Jin'er's baby daddy? The tattoo faced guy

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Jolie Bijoux said:

Thank you guys for the summary, as a RAW spectator I Love reading your comments.

Hope in the last 5 episodes we can see Awu support XQ unconditionally, she needs to come to her sense that literally everyone wanted her husband dead. I want to see a mutual support and trust.

This is not "Saint Princess" but "Rebel Princess" give us a badass princes who can wrap and make her mind pls.

I was really suprised when I see Empress Dowager again, thought she was dead already.

I love the rendezvous Xiao Qi - Gen Song, Xiao Qi's horse is steady yet Gen Song's horse is trembled. 

Love the analogy.

Zitan : cant make comment anymore,someone hurry bring him down pls

WangLin , as always from beginning till end He shows that he has brain

Btw where is Jin'er's baby daddy? The tattoo faced guy

Yes I think Jin'er baby daddy is the tattoo guy.  I can't believe we don't have much episodes left to tie up the loose ends.  I hope they do a good job of it and don't leave us disappointed.

Wang Lin is a very smart man but probably throw his kids under the bus to win.  He can't be kept alive, I think his fate must be death.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jolie Bijoux said:

Zitan: agreed and ASAP please

Wang Lin cracks me up with his laughs kind of evil

jiner’s baby: I assume it’s tattooed General

HZ: I hope he survives ( god knows how) and comes back to help Awu & Xiao Qi

1 hour ago, baiqian said:

Xiao Qi is just DONE with the stupid royals. He hates them and would probably like to see them pay for what they did to him as his men. They've "poked the tiger".

Yes, I am loving his attitude to show them who’s the boss. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jacquelinetan said:

I loved how Xiao Qi is no longer kowtowing to the Royal Court. He did not allowed Wang Xuan to kneel before the Royal Decree. After all how they frame him and made his men fight with their own fellow men. He brought with him 100,000 men with him to make his statement. The Ministers are all shaking in their pants had to get Zi Dan to give in everything Xiao Qi asked for.

At least, I notice that Yu Xiu still has an impact with General Song as he is still gentle with her so it is said she will take the same course like Wang Xuan's mother and jumped to her death. It seems that she already had her child so not sure she will be pregnant with her 2nd child when she leapt to her death or not.

I wander if they will sent Hu Yao to become Zi Dan's Empress to keep him in check.

Empress Dowager when she is of a sound mind cannot accept defeat. Even old boyfriend is afraid to see her.

Yeah im quite amazed with XQ act not to kneel down over royal decree and Zi dan. He also didnt allowed awu to do kowtowing. 

And XQ finally gave pressure to zi dan as emperor to finally pay respect/tribute to the deceased Ningshuo army/his fighters. Bravooo to  XQ!!

2 hours ago, samantha ngo li said:

Yes I think Jin'er baby daddy is the tattoo guy.  I can't believe we don't have much episodes left to tie up the loose ends.  I hope they do a good job of it and don't leave us disappointed.

Wang Lin is a very smart man but probably throw his kids under the bus to win.  He can't be kept alive, I think his fate must be death.  

Yeah 5 episodes left to the finale next week. Cant wait to see how the writer wraps up the conflicts in these 5 eps. Hopefully happy ending for Xq and Awu *finger crossed*

2 hours ago, Thuc Duyen said:

Zitan: agreed and ASAP please

Wang Lin cracks me up with his laughs kind of evil

jiner’s baby: I assume it’s tattooed General

HZ: I hope he survives ( god knows how) and comes back to help Awu & Xiao Qi

Yes, I am loving his attitude to show them who’s the boss. 

Zi dan thought it's his dragon baby LOL but turned out it's the Hulan tatoo guy's baby. Such a karma for him 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Nelly Lauw said:

Zi dan thought it's his dragon baby LOL but turned out it's the Hulan tatoo guy's baby. Such a karma for him 

I can’t wait for Wang Lin (whether you like him or not) to expose Sur Jiner about the baby. Zidan needs to be shipped somewhere in the villain world.

HZ: though he is a villain and has been obsessive with Awu causing havoc but I do have pity for the guy. 

Normally I am a silent viewer on this thread but I just wanted to say that I don't know why people are shocked at how Awu is handling everything. It's very much on brand for her. If she doesn't tell XQ what she found out I'm not gonna be surprised. And although I sympathize with him and want him to get his revenge I also understand why she's doing the things she's doing. I mean, all these people plotting against her are unfortunately part of her family or former servants. If I were in her situation, I would not act the same, but I understand her. Also, I wish we got more cute scene with the new family (XQ, Awu and kids). I was smiling so hard when they played by the lake. So cute. Also, sidenote, I think it's called Rebel princess because despite everything she's been through instead of completely cowering and changing she sticks to her beliefs. She reminds me of her mom tbh. 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

What bothers me the most is that I have to sit through and watch Qia’ner evil act on Awu and Su’jiner’s screen time for my sore eyes. 

Awu’s way of dealing with things: whilst it is frustrating to see her being kind and respectful to all those villains but it is part of her upbringing (her mum) and in the Confucius way of thinking. We always think about karma, being kind to one another. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacquelinetan said:

I loved how Xiao Qi is no longer kowtowing to the Royal Court. He did not allowed Wang Xuan to kneel before the Royal Decree. After all how they frame him and made his men fight with their own fellow men. He brought with him 100,000 men with him to make his statement. The Ministers are all shaking in their pants had to get Zi Dan to give in everything Xiao Qi asked for.

At least, I notice that Yu Xiu still has an impact with General Song as he is still gentle with her so it is said she will take the same course like Wang Xuan's mother and jumped to her death. It seems that she already had her child so not sure she will be pregnant with her 2nd child when she leapt to her death or not.

I wander if they will sent Hu Yao to become Zi Dan's Empress to keep him in check.

Empress Dowager when she is of a sound mind cannot accept defeat. Even old boyfriend is afraid to see her.

Yasssssssssssss, so boss of him to not kneel. But at the same time, so frustrated that Awu tried to kneel TWICE and TWICE he stopped her. I get it if she tried to kneel once and he stopped her. But for her to do it again, it just shows a lack of understanding (and to be honest, support) for why her husband is doing what he's doing. His reasoning is rather clear: he will not obey a system of governance that doesn't respect him or his army, moreover tried to frame him. And I hate that she looked sheepishly towards Zitan when XQ stopped her from kneeling, that she looked happy when Wen senator said that Zitan will reinstate XQ's Lord title as if that should placate her husband (like, that's not what XQ will be happy with - he wants the truth and justice enacted!). 

Yu Xiu is precious. Esp if compared with how Su Jin turned out. They were both maids to Awu and were both in love with someone that was in love with Awu (although Yu Xiu doesn't know about General Song's crush). But while Su Jin betrayed Awu in the name of love for Zitan (as well as her own general unhappiness about her own humble beginnings? jealousy towards Awu that she had everything growing up?), Yu Xiu remains faithful and grateful to Awu and the Lord. 

I don't think they will use Hu Yao this way in the drama because it will go against XQ's character - to sacrifice his dead bud's little sister just to keep an eye on the Emperor. 

• Like 5

WL's reaction upon finding out that Jin Er's baby is not Zidan's was quite funny. He was actually proud that Jin Er managed to pull it of as a former maid of his Wang family. Like he was proud that even his maids were extraordinary. Hahaha 

• LOL 6

9 hours ago, Kachan02 said:

I don’t think he is dead yet,  hopefully he survives and get a revenge on HT and pays his due to  XQ by helping him. 

The reunion was short. single scene that’s it?

There was no proper revenge yet from Xioa xi and Awu for the Hu general and the lost soldiers and his asasination. Only at the end of ep 63 Awu gets to know who was behind the plot. 

Instead of unconditionally standing behind her husband and coming up with the takedown bad people plot, why she still acts like a Saint and worried abt the fight between husband and zitan. She still did not tell him yet, also funny thing she directly went to Su Jin to give a face to face break up, not even a slap.

I’m extremely disappointed, there was no Awu badass , I think I’ll just have to wait on forever fir the scenario where she should have returned to them on double or triple dosses on what she and her husband got.

Hopefully after subs I may have better understanding of her view point

also I feel like all the bad guys got plenty of scenes And Our OTP got less, 

in the remaining 5 episodes will they cover the remaining plot? How would they fit in everything zitan overthrown, wanglin ascending  throne and him being over thrown and Song  betrayal and down fall and Xioa xi becoming emperor and OTP HEA and having kids. I think we have to forgot about few, idk I’d they will just wrap up thier ending in a single scene 

I sincerely hope that happens.I didn't like the ending for He Lan Zhen.

The meeting of XiaoQi and Awu should have had more emotions and passion..since it was a reunion defying fated tragedy by the grace of lady luck..sadly felt like a meeting  of husband and wife after he returns from a campaign not anything beyond that...I am guessing they closed the loop of kids with the adoption on the river bank..I wish I am proven wrong in this.

Awu the ice maiden has forgotten about the promise of not keeping secrets from each other. She gives the conspirators/villians a long rope and tries to understand them but Xiao Qi doesn't get that preferential treatment either for his own good/ greater good of the country/Wang family ties!

An army that is crucial to the stability of the country doesn't like being lied to and manipulated.Awu's thinking is more in line with the noble class of letting status quo prevail and let problems fester till it reaches the boiling point.So unlike a rebel princess.

I share your apprehension on tying up everything satisfactorily in just 5 episodes.We also needed more scenes of the OTP after the drought of epis 52-57.

Maybe my expectations were set too high given how wonderfully the drama was being executed till it reached the mid 40 episodes.

P.S-I am liking Wang Lin..Give me a good villain any day.I want more confrontations and fight of wit between him and Xiao Qi..Wangfei can take a break,admire the rain with a melancholic stare and let the limelight shine on those two till curtain call.

• Like 2

My frustration with Awu is that she doesn't seem to learn from her lessons, so there's no growth or further development. She's also inconsistent in her actions, so her character doesn't even feel anchored. At least with her mom, while she was torn between her brother and her husband, you felt her devotion to her two children. With Awu, there isn't a particularly defining "guiding light" or "north star" for her beliefs. Sure, she's kind but it's kindness for kindness' sake, which gets to be a bit boring. XQ is kind too, but there's a bottom line - who is he kind to and when and why. So in pitting her against XQ (which is inevitable as he's her other half), her lack of depth is further amplified.

Even if I were to defend her and argue that this whole journey has been about her learning how to become the "mother of all nations" - because I'll give it to her that she's always been shown to defend the people - and keep stability so commoners don't suffer...through all that she experienced, she should've learned by now the solution to that is not by maintaining the throne or any single Emperor figure but rather in giving people a leader worth trusting in. She saw what happened to her uncle, her father, Zilong, Zilu - people who are power hungry in maintaining the seat of power but ultimately lead to more instability. Defending the decision to keep Zitan (a person who framed his own General as revenge for stealing Awu!) as Emperor doesn't show greater understanding of what it takes to lead a country.

And of course, I'm super biased because I love XQ. I admittedly hold it against Awu for some of her weaker moments that make us question her devotion and trust in XQ, such:

-Her soft eyes and hesitation for killing HZ. Weren't you planning to kill him anyways to avenge XQ? Like, gurl what changed??? Even if releasing him was a strategic part of having him fight their way out from HT, she didn't have to give him soft eyes. 

-Her soft eyes towards Zitan, almost like she was embarrassed by her husband's lack of decorum to kneel before an Emperor that named him and his army for being traitors without evidence

-Her asking Aunt Xu (the maid), Do you think the Lord has changed? Even AFTER XQ has already said he doesn't feel he's changed and that his devotion to her will never change!

-You heard how XQ was injured in the battle. You knew what he and his army suffered, all the indignities. You stood before Hu Guang Lie's grave, knowing he died to protect XQ. You saw how hard your husband worked to defend his people, to fight for what's right. You knew all of this and still, you asked XQ to give up his quest for truth and justice to live a peaceful life - all in the name of "maintaining" the country's stability. Why does it have to be your husband (who was wronged) that backs down? Why couldn't it be the other way around - lets take out all the rotten people?

Oh Awu, how disappointing and flat you have been in these recent events. 

There's still 5 eps. Perhaps she will surprise us all.

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1

48 minutes ago, gingerchews said:

-Her asking Aunt Xu (the maid), Do you think the Lord has changed? Even AFTER XQ has already said he doesn't feel he's changed and that his devotion to her will never change!

-You heard how XQ was injured in the battle. You knew what he and his army suffered, all the indignities. You stood before Hu Guang Lie's grave, knowing he died to protect XQ. You saw how hard your husband worked to defend his people, to fight for what's right. You knew all of this and still, you asked XQ to give up his quest for truth and justice to live a peaceful life - all in the name of "maintaining" the country's stability. Why does it have to be your husband (who was wronged) that backs down? Why couldn't it be the other way around - lets take out all the rotten people?

I felt the questioning of her mom's trusted maid about Xiao Qi's nature having changed was to justify thoughts of keeping her husband about the conspirators in the dark.I am still not able to understand all the conversations completely without subtitles.I am hoping to get more understanding of this odd question once the subs are in.

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1

@gingerchews Im on the same boat with you, from her facial expression, can feel her doubts.

Her husband had been thru life and death situation moreover his trusted general and army died, who in their right mind can think that XQ will stay the same? I mean something had happened and things simply couldnt stay the same. Goals,approachements,attitudes must have changed. 

It is time now that XQ will need Awu the most. Want to see them side to side work together and put aside her doubts.

Btw 

Am I the only one who lowkey think that XQ waited somewhere till HZ died before he made his grand entrance to save Awu?  Lmao Im so bad DKM

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

Just finish watching the raw version (using google translate) and have to say I am so disappointed with episodes 58-63. I had such high hopes for the drama to finish off nicely but with only 5 more episodes left how is everything going to wrap up. There is still so much going on. I loved the reunion between Awu and Xiao Qi but felt it wasn't sincere enough. I felt like Awu showed more love and emotion towards her evil Aunt who tried to kill her husband (At least she shed tears for the Aunt). Awu should have been furious after finding out that her trusted maid drugged her and handed her over to HZ. But her confrontation with Jin'er was "Meh". The only person keeping me hooked is Xiao Qi. He plays the role so well. I can feel his pain and his anger and his thirst for justice. But my love for Awu is staggering. How can Awu just forgive all the people that tried to kill Xiao Qi. Xiao Qi almost died and so many soldiers sacrificed their lives just so Awu and Xiao Qi can live and Awu's response to all that is "Zidan made a mistake" (Google translation :) ) I can't even start to understand how she can be so calm after finding out the truth. And evn ponder about not telling Xiao Qi....aarrgghh.....so upset!!!

My understanding is that the drama is based on Awu because the title is "The Rebel Princess" but lately Awu has so sass no energy no emotions. Seems she just floating around. I want to see her throw some anger at the people who tried to hurt Xiao Qi. To protect him like he is always protecting her. She is not consistent with the title at all.

Who else is upset, or is it just me?

Well gonna have to wait for English subs and hopefully this will all just be a misunderstanding on my part.

1 hour ago, gingerchews said:

My frustration with Awu is that she doesn't seem to learn from her lessons, so there's no growth or further development. She's also inconsistent in her actions, so her character doesn't even feel anchored. At least with her mom, while she was torn between her brother and her husband, you felt her devotion to her two children. With Awu, there isn't a particularly defining "guiding light" or "north star" for her beliefs. Sure, she's kind but it's kindness for kindness' sake, which gets to be a bit boring. XQ is kind too, but there's a bottom line - who is he kind to and when and why. So in pitting her against XQ (which is inevitable as he's her other half), her lack of depth is further amplified.

Even if I were to defend her and argue that this whole journey has been about her learning how to become the "mother of all nations" - because I'll give it to her that she's always been shown to defend the people - and keep stability so commoners don't suffer...through all that she experienced, she should've learned by now the solution to that is not by maintaining the throne or any single Emperor figure but rather in giving people a leader worth trusting in. She saw what happened to her uncle, her father, Zilong, Zilu - people who are power hungry in maintaining the seat of power but ultimately lead to more instability. Defending the decision to keep Zitan (a person who framed his own General as revenge for stealing Awu!) as Emperor doesn't show greater understanding of what it takes to lead a country.

And of course, I'm super biased because I love XQ. I admittedly hold it against Awu for some of her weaker moments that make us question her devotion and trust in XQ, such:

-Her soft eyes and hesitation for killing HZ. Weren't you planning to kill him anyways to avenge XQ? Like, gurl what changed??? Even if releasing him was a strategic part of having him fight their way out from HT, she didn't have to give him soft eyes. 

-Her soft eyes towards Zitan, almost like she was embarrassed by her husband's lack of decorum to kneel before an Emperor that named him and his army for being traitors without evidence

Yesssss!!!! Totally agree with everything here. 

I am also biased because I too love love love Xiao Qi :) 

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Blooming Blossoms said:

. I loved the reunion between Awu and Xiao Qi but felt it wasn't sincere enough. I felt like Awu showed more love and emotion towards her evil Aunt who tried to kill her husband (At least she shed tears for the Aunt).

agree, it feels rushed unlike reunion between Hu Yao and Xiao Qi which is very touching

• Like 4
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Blooming Blossoms said:

Just finish watching the raw version (using google translate) and have to say I am so disappointed with episodes 58-63. I had such high hopes for the drama to finish off nicely but with only 5 more episodes left how is everything going to wrap up. There is still so much going on. I loved the reunion between Awu and Xiao Qi but felt it wasn't sincere enough. I felt like Awu showed more love and emotion towards her evil Aunt who tried to kill her husband (At least she shed tears for the Aunt). Awu should have been furious after finding out that her trusted maid drugged her and handed her over to HZ. But her confrontation with Jin'er was "Meh". The only person keeping me hooked is Xiao Qi. He plays the role so well. I can feel his pain and his anger and his thirst for justice. But my love for Awu is staggering. How can Awu just forgive all the people that tried to kill Xiao Qi. Xiao Qi almost died and so many soldiers sacrificed their lives just so Awu and Xiao Qi can live and Awu's response to all that is "Zidan made a mistake" (Google translation :) ) I can't even start to understand how she can be so calm after finding out the truth. And evn ponder about not telling Xiao Qi....aarrgghh.....so upset!!!

My understanding is that the drama is based on Awu because the title is "The Rebel Princess" but lately Awu has so sass no energy no emotions. Seems she just floating around. I want to see her throw some anger at the people who tried to hurt Xiao Qi. To protect him like he is always protecting her. She is not consistent with the title at all.

Who else is upset, or is it just me?

Well gonna have to wait for English subs and hopefully this will all just be a misunderstanding on my part.

Yesssss!!!! Totally agree with everything here. 

I am also biased because I too love love love Xiao Qi :) 

Agree with you.

I formulated a theory to keep my disappointment low.

Awu is supposed to carry the burden of morality for all the villains so that they can be badass with impunity.

She doesn't do it for Xiao Qi as she is the strict wife who is supposed to scrutinizes him with a microscopic eye and not trust him with important decisions.She will do that unilaterally for equality of women rights in matrimony.

Xioa Qi however has to proove his fidelity to her at every corner like a dutiful husband.Forgive and forget as wife deems fit.No room for negotiations.

Life of a married man is never easy even in ancient times.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I just finish watching to ep 63.  I love the part where XQ doesn't allow Awu to kneel!  Such a powerful statement.

I feel sorry for Awu - now her brother is lying to her.  Anybody in her position will be messed up.  People she loves uses her and lies to her.  I hope Wang Su does the right thing by Awu.  I hope their relationship doesn't change I love their sibling love for one another.

I do feel that as an actor she needs to show more conviction and stand up for her man because I don't get that feeling from her acting.  Or maybe the director want us to feel this way - Away struggles. She told XQ previously she will never doubt him again.  

I read somewhere in this chat group that in the novel  Zitan is suppose to be a teacher in the countryside.  Seeing how this drama is unfolding I don't think that is possible.  Death I think will be his fate.  And I can't see Zitan and Hu Yao getting together in this drama.  

5 more episodes to go.

I watch a lot of dramas but this is the 1st one were I joined a chat group.  Thanks for the experience, I enjoyed this chat room and sad to see the conversation about this drama coming to an end next week.  I enjoy reading all the insights and people informing me about trailers for future episodes and when new episodes are posted.  Thanks everyone.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, minglanfan2 said:

Agree with you.

I formulated a theory to keep my disappointment low.

Awu is supposed to carry the burden of morality for all the villains so that they can be badass with impunity.

She doesn't do it for Xiao Qi as she is the strict wife who is supposed to scrutinizes him with a microscopic eye and not trust him with important decisions.She will do that unilaterally for equality of women rights in matrimony.

Xioa Qi however has to proove his fidelity to her at every corner like a dutiful husband.Forgive and forget as wife deems fit.No room for negotiations.

Life of a married man is never easy even in ancient times.

The horses are more loyal then people ...I am now only following because of XQ , poor guy .:worried:

• Like 1
  • Love 1