[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] The Rebel Princess上阳赋

sugarplum892

Finished watching 42. I am going to wait for the subs of 44 to be released & watch 43-44 together for the sake of my own mental health :D 

Spoilers for epi 42 below

Spoiler

I am actually shocked at Awu's behaviour. Some thug just comes to your house & drops messages like come & meet him tomorrow this time, this place & you actually go??? Even in 2021 this would be considered inappropriate behaviour & extremely insulting for the woman as well as her husband/family. And why is that cousin so important to her anyways? Even more important than her own self respect & husband. To actually meet a man who tried to rape you & dance in front of him for that girl is just beyond my understanding. I am glad the servant told XQ about this meeting. At least someone tells the poor guy something! And then when he confronted her she actually talks about him not understanding because he doesn't have a family?? That is so hurtful. Such a low blow:dissapointed: I wish now Awu had learned about her sister's true colours without XQ going through so much unnecessary pain & humiliation :unamused:

Whats with Queens & their nightmares in Cheng? With their karmas is it any surprise that they have such nightmares. And Wanru actually believes she and Awu are at loggerheads bcoz of their families. No dear. You are trash, she isnt. That's why you arent getting along.

Why did that snake Jiner throw away the medicine. Does she wish to die? Godspeed!! :letsgo:Also 3 cheers for Su-er for not being completely useless! He actually will be among the few nobles who actually work for a living:wow2:

When will people start dying in this drama. I too my turning like the dowager & Wanru. I want everybody I dislike dead:loolz:Wanru, Dowager,Zilong,Zitan,He Lan, Tattoo guy. 

• LOL 8
  • Blob 1

Spoiler

At least Awu changed the meeting place to his brother's mansion.  Still not cool she chose to meet Hulan Zhen behind Xiao Qi's back.  I think the argument the night before made her changed the meeting place.  If Xiao Qi didn't know about it, she'd probably went to whatever place Hulan Zhen said.  :fear:  Not happy with the dancing she did in front of Hulan Zhen.  I think her brother looked uncomfortable with the whole thing.  To see your own sister doing a sensual dance like that....ewww..he can see Hulan Zhen got...turned on.  :Megalol:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1

Having plodded through the ep 42/43 which had relapses of hotchpotch stew amidst flashes of wonderful scenes, I believe I can sit through any kind of mindboggling series with a zen like composure!:relieved:

I applaud the screenplay writer's noble intention of schooling her viewers in patience and then gently goading them to scratch heads on wondering what was that??!!

After 41 episodes the good intentioned crew of the series must have opined,lethargy may have set in. The viewers must be jolted into attention for the remaining episodes hence going round and round the mulberry bush theme.:innocent:.

Having deciphered the cryptic messages in the episodes for  loyal viewers..I need my starry eyed break of reminiscencing Xioa Qi in angry mode.:love:

He is careful to not upset his wife too much,inspite of her childish decisions to meet HeLanZen in secret and resolve to continue the association..

His expression of not comprehending of why an intelligent Awu has become the benevolent goddess for her bratty cousin whom she hardly had a relationship with.She puts herself in serious danger in doing this,the husband gets it but not the wife who was kidnapped and had to fend molestation attempts.

The way he sharpens his sword in the study to keep himself in check was the episode highlight for me. The sword would be sharp and ready to shed blood when he meets the prince of Hulan again.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

Just saw ep 42 and I am so ......  o..  :rage: at Awu . @26 she tells our Xioa Qi that since he did not have any family, how can he understand her devotion to the great  Wangs.   Lady, he has more family and honour then you will ever know. How fast have you forgotten hundreds of 'his family' lying witness in the chapel.  

Your petulant accusation that he was spying on you is so beneath you that from now on if I was him I would stay away from you more often.   

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1

7 minutes ago, jadore1 said:

Just saw ep 42 and I am so ......  o..  :rage: at Awu . @26 she tells our Xioa Qi that since he did not have any family, how can he understand her devotion to the great  Wangs.   Lady, he has more family and honour then you will ever know. How fast have you forgotten hundreds of 'his family' lying witness in the chapel.  

Your petulant accusation that he was spying on you is so beneath you that from now on if I was him I would stay away from you more often.   

I agree.He should have told Awu after the 1st seduction attempt that he has found a way out for the cousin.Since the cousin feels affectionate towards him,he will take her as a concubine as per her wishes.If Awu can flirt with Prince of Helan he too can make the sacrifice of marrying again.Would have set Awu's head straight and poor XiaQi wouldn't have to bleed himself.

• Sad 1
  • LOL 4

@minglanfan2 LOL too bad they did not call us to write this drama , we would have definitely changed some things...

I just finished ep 43 and feel totally betrayed by Awu .   After seeing raw43 and now subbed I was not too far off ..Awu what you did is no brainer baby , your cousin is practicing the same wares but with different type of monkey wine .  Your servants are pathetic...to the total stranger they tell exactly where the master is and that he even sleeps there .

I love your suggestion here ...too bad he did not mention this brotherly solution to Awu . 

48 minutes ago, minglanfan2 said:

I agree.He should have told Awu after the 1st seduction attempt that he has found a way out for the cousin.Since the cousin feels affectionate towards him,he will take her as a concubine as per her wishes.If Awu can flirt with Prince of Helan he too can make the sacrifice of marrying again.Would have set Awu's head straight and poor XiaQi wouldn't have to bleed himself.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Awu didn't learn from her own experience. Even her father (the nearest relative of her) throw her into a stranger just for his own purpose. Then why bother with cousin who rarely interact with you? I guess Awu is a great millitary planner and so strong in front of thousand of troops but poor in fighting with harem, lol.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, jadore1 said:
1 hour ago, jadore1 said:

LOL too bad they did not call us to write this drama , we would have definitely changed some things...

I just finished ep 43 and feel totally betrayed by Awu .   After seeing raw43 and now subbed I was not too far off ..Awu what you did is no brainer baby , your cousin is practicing the same wares but with different type of monkey wine .

I think what writer wants to show here is how naive she can be, she doesnt have many family now, she thought fight for "her family" is the right thing to do. She puts too much trust to ppl whom she called "family" guess she didnt learn from what happened with her aunt and father.

Our Female lead is not a Mary Sue, but at the end I like how she handles the mess.

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

https://www.mtlnovel.com/emperors-conquest/

I think this link to raw translation of the novel emperors conquest. Quite similar to the drama. But a lot of changes the screenwriter made.

Since it is raw translation to english. XIao chi = xiao yan . Awu = ama

Spoiler

According to the novel, yes Wang su married with Ms gu cai wei and had children. Hu yao married wih zi dan and had 1 daughter. But i doubt this happened in the drama.

As in the novel general hu still alives. General Mo and his wife died in the battle, left 1 daughter adopted by Xq and Awu. This adopted daughter later helped xu kuku, Ayue maid, awu's daughter and son to escaped from Huai En coup and killings in the palace. She also helped run the palace when awu has passed away. I think may be she fall in love with Xq later. But Xq only treats her as daughter, xq remains alone for his rest of life. He missed awu so much as his son n daughter grow up.

In the novel when awu gave birth the twins, Xq was away in the battle to expand /defend the country. Then huai en brought a letter mentioned Xq died in the battle. Awu realised there s a hidden message in the letter.xq was stil alive and rushing back to the palace.

Huai en thought Xq died. And he coupped. Yi xiu suicide after knowing this. Hope her death could stop huai en. But he still went to the palace. And the end his sword aimed toward awu. But actually inwards kill himself and awu also brought the small blade given by Xq before.

Spoiler

In the drama, a lot changes happen. I dont think hu yao will marry to zi dan,given what happened to her brother.

I dont read any about Xq framed killing zi long by he lan, 2 adopted children and Pm led troops again later to become emperor.

I saw youtube 1-2 minute reviews in chinese text:

1. Zi dan attacked the palace and become emperor. He heard the new Xq died.but he gave command to look for XQ 's head. Zi dan , like one of soompi members mentioned before, after become emperor ,surprisingly gave command that Awu is his empress. And this made Xq and troops back to the palace again.

2. Su jin er tho she is pregnant. She only becomes gui fei (concubine). Awu sent presents on her wed day. Zi dan opened the present and felt sad. And runaway on the wed nite.

3. Wang lin also become /wear emperor robe. But he was killed by Huai En.

4. Awu after knowing Xq missing/died, she went to look for 3 days 3 nights.and she went to ningshuo also.and met him there ( this part still remain unclear for me). While one review said He lan after knowing Xq Dead. He went to Yuzhang mansor and forced awu to hulan and become his wife. Or he attack the capital. And awu followed him for the sake of nation/people.

This is my limited intrepretation based on my limited chinese reading.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

I always feel annoyed when one of the leads stray from their personalities or character. Awu didn't like her cousin from the beginning and all of the sudden she allows the mother and daughter in her home. Awu should have smelled a rat when they were very persistent in settling in her house. No matter how superstitious about the directions (as per the reason of her aunt). She just let a snake in her house.

Re the seduction of Xiao Qi, it is to be expected. It never occurred to Awu to bring her cousin in as a concubine but the fact that she allows her in her house opens the opportunity. 

Anway, cest la vie! This is how the author wrote it and even if it( being forced to marry because of being defiled or even touched intimately) is an overused ploy in this drama I will continue to watch this.

I just hope the seduction doe snot plant something negative in Awu's mind about Xiao Qi. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, minglanfan2 said:

Having plodded through the ep 42/43 which had relapses of hotchpotch stew amidst flashes of wonderful scenes, I believe I can sit through any kind of mindboggling series with a zen like composure!:relieved:

I applaud the screenplay writer's noble intention of schooling her viewers in patience and then gently goading them to scratch heads on wondering what was that??!!

After 41 episodes the good intentioned crew of the series must have opined,lethargy may have set in. The viewers must be jolted into attention for the remaining episodes hence going round and round the mulberry bush theme.:innocent:.

6 hours ago, minglanfan2 said:

:loolz::loolz: this totally cracked me up! I wish XQ had at least sarcastically said this to her now :sweat_smile:

@Nelly Lauw Thanks for sharing the novel link

What I desperately want to see is XQ & Awu pair up against the likes of Zitan & HeLan. If the title is "The Rebel Princess"' the princess has to rebel at some point which she hasn't done so far. And if she is going to rebel let it be while maintaining the sanctity of her relationship with XQ. Let them stay together through thick & think, death & life, together & afar & make a smashing comeback together to whip all the bad guys. I am invested in this show for the couple & not the politics because that storyline isnt so great. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

I see now ep 44 is subbed on dramacool  we can watch at ease and yes I agree with other commenters,Im eager to see WX is in action, the title is rebel princess but I see XQ is much more in action than her, I like to see her launch a counter attack just like Minglan did all the time. 

• Like 7

Watching epi 44/45 brought home the point Awu didn't trust her husband 100%.Seeing him bleed to keep his promise should make her never doubt or work behind his back.None of the people she trusted  (dad,uncle,aunt,Zidan,Sujin'r,Wanru,cousin and her mother) gave a thought before using that trust against her to acheive their agenda.I hope she never relapses to her initial teenage naive self for the sake of story moving forward.

Empress Dowager and Empress both acknowledge what they are doing to Awu isn't right but they are helpless since they need to protect their positions.Selfish ladies!! :rage:They rightly deserve the future hardships..

Su'er is also on the path to proove himself worthy.I hope the 2nd chance he got is utilized wisely.

General Song's creepiness is on the ascent.The way he was obsessing about Awu's carriage seat was..:grimace:.His wife is in for a serious hearbreak in the future.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 2

24 minutes ago, minglanfan2 said:

Watching epi 44/45 brought home the point Awu didn't trust her husband 100%.Seeing him bleed to keep his promise should make her never doubt or work behind his back.None of the people she trusted  dad,uncle,aunt,Zidan,Sujin'r,Wanru,cousin and her mother gave a thought before using that trust against her to acheive their agenda.I hope she never relapses again to her initial teenage naive self for the sake of moving the story forward.

Empress Dowager and Empress both acknowledge what they are doing to Awu isn't right but they are helpless since they need to protect their positions.Selfish ladies!! :rage:They rightly deserve the future hardships..

Su'er is also on the path to proove himself worthy.I hope the 2nd chance he got is utilized wisely.

General Song's creepiness is on the ascent.The way he was obsessing about her carriage seat was..:grimace:.His wife is in for a serious hearbreak in the future.

@minglanfan2 They've been married for almost 2 years at this point, and I'm so sad Awu still have reservations about trusting XQ given all he's done for her. Especially when she thought XQ had spied on her and that's how he found out about her meeting with HZ. I guess it's understandable since her whole family betrayed her on some level (except her mom and her mom's aid, and her brother), but still...my heart hurts for XQ.

I initially thought the same about General Song obsessing over the carriage seat...but I don't think it was Awu's seat. Awu's carriage are more luxurious and have doors vs. the carriage he got on had a flap. Plus, it was taking him to his new mansion. I think the scene was supposed to show General Song is starting to like power and money (like him moving from side seat to main seat), that he is not/will not be immune to the coming political fights.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, gingerchews said:

I initially thought the same about General Song obsessing over the carriage seat...but I don't think it was Awu's seat. Awu's carriage are more luxurious and have doors vs. the carriage he got on had a flap. Plus, it was taking him to his new mansion. I think the scene was supposed to show General Song is starting to like power and money (like him moving from side seat to main seat), that he is not/will not be immune to the coming political fights.

I felt the same vibe when he was gaping at the mansion where the carriage took him.I presume it is to be his new home.From a humble surrounding he was entering the gate of power,wealth and the vices that come with it..He climbed up the stairs,peaked at what lay past the gate and turned to see himself towering above bowed heads of those serving him.That was one scene which conveyed a lot sans words.He entered without good intentions.What a contrast to Xiao Qi's entry into his new home in the capital. 

You have a point about Awu's carraige having doors and luxury.The thought of Awu kicks in the creepiness of General Song,so I think this carriage may have been been used by her at some point for him to behave in a weird manner.

• Like 5

Spoiler

There is a new mv , song "tian ti". Available in the shang ya fu weibo. Most of the scenes the general already has moustache.and yes he met awu again in He Lan.

One of youtube reviews informs that zi dan poison the E.dowager and zi long's son.  Su jin er , only given as concubine position, informs zi dan that awu wont be able to pregnant

There is one review said awu got poisoned and Helan zhen offered her to get the cure from the sacred flower in he lan. Wheter come along with him or wait the death in the palace

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Nelly Lauw said:
  Hide contents

There is a new mv , song "tian ti". Available in the shang ya fu weibo. Most of the scenes the general already has moustache.and yes he met awu again in He Lan.

One of youtube reviews informs that zi dan poison the E.dowager and zi long's son.  Su jin er , only given as concubine position, informs zi dan that awu wont be able to pregnant

There is one review said awu got poisoned and Helan zhen offered her to get the cure from the sacred flower in he lan. Wheter come along with him or wait the death in the palace

Can u give me the link?

Finished episode 43-45

That dance :loolz:no words really! Why does Awu keep implying that she knows what it is like to marry against her will. Doesn't she realize it sounds as if she is still hung up on Zitan? Well Princess your second chance is coming soon, if you still have any regrets you can correct them :smirk: Also Awu's lack of trust in XQ is quite hurtful. What does a man have to do more to win a woman's trust???? She still has a soft  corner for people who have tried to kill her but doubts her husband of such a dirty deed based on the words of a shallow cousin she met 2 days ago?? 

That brat & her mother are so annoying. I wish XQ had killed them both today:rage: Also even after hearing his conversation with the physician does that idiot still think she has any chance? And there are so many eligible bachelors in Cheng? Why go after poor XQ? Even if she succeeded no one can force XQ to marry her...not in their world. She is too low in the hierarchy. So much brain power wasted in plots & schemes that none is left for common sense. She could have tried the same trick with some willing candidate to secure her future. She is beautiful & there are many fools in the world:sweat_smile: I am also surprised Su-er allowed her to stay at his place later. He too is single. He should be careful:hwaiting2:I hope we never ever ever have to see cousin & mommy again.

If Awu collapses so much at the news of her father's death (who was already exiled & away from her) how will she take the news of XQ's death?? Will there be any strength or will left in her to live? She would have lost everyone by then & with no children to live for what does she have to keep her going?!:dissapointed:

I cannot open weibo links at my place but I too saw some pictures which seem from a new trailer on Tumblr (Cr: juscewifxiaholic) Posting them here. Why has XQ been given this goat beard:weary: he is such a handsome man why spoil it with that weird moustache & beard:smirk:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6