[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] The Rebel Princess上阳赋

sugarplum892

4 hours ago, Catleya said:

btw, From my way of thinking, Xiao Qi forced to leave the city because of he understands that PM Wang and the Wang Clan is trying to gather more military power through him. He does not want to be the pawn of PM Wang for his treason to the emperor, and the more he does not want to be the part of that treason.

Yes I understand as a man how come he could leave his wife on their wedding night. But I think he has no choice plus he understands that Awu does not love him and he understands that the third prince is the man she loves. 

" The great princess Shangyang  and the suave third prince are the true match made in heaven. Do you really want me to stay and steal the love of another?" 

(General Xiao Qi ~ The Rebel Princess Ep 7) 

Aww. He is very understanding and I fall for him *sigh :relaxed: It must be troubled him a lot because of the marriage. If stay he will be a love stealer and also a traitor to his emperor. So he chooses to leave. Very gentleman <3 

btw I can't wait to watch the moment Xiao Qi will comes and saves Awu :fullofhearts:

Cudnt agree more:heartxoxo:

And dont forget that he keep sending a letter to Awu eventhough Awu never reply it

• Love 2
  • Insightful 1

At this point in time, how ambitious is Xiao Qi? Is his loyalty solely dedicated to the emperor (assumed hasn’t fully recovered yet)?  Or is he starting to play defense with the envoy?  I don’t know if he knows who the ultimate culprit is. Would it not be considered capital offense to what happened to the envoy?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Travis Mom said:

At this point in time, how ambitious is Xiao Qi? Is his loyalty solely dedicated to the emperor (assumed hasn’t fully recovered yet)?  Or is he starting to play defense with the envoy?  I don’t know if he knows who the ultimate culprit is. Would it not be considered capital offense to what happened to the envoy?

Based on what I saw till epi 11 and his interactions/reactions regarding the princess it seemed he isn't bitten by the bug of political ambition since he likes to have a free hand in what he wants to do with least interference from others.But if he can't escape the situation he puts all his efforts to makes sure he has the last say.He gives the vibe of a sleeping tiger whom you must not awaken because the aftermath won't be good.

It appears he is loyal to the throne that provides stability for the moment the current emperor serves this purpose the best.

He has a good alibi of the Helan clan causing the death of the envoy by attacking them.He survived but unfortunately the envoy couldn't.The emperor might suspect something amiss but it would be hard to proove suspicions since none of the envoy's men survived to tell the tale.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

@minglanfan2, Story of Ming Lan is a huge favorite of mines. :D I also believe that Xiao Qi probably values the peace of the people more than getting involved in deadly political intrigues for personal gain. Unfortunately, since he commands an army, it’s inescapable that he will be drawn into political intrigues. He has already started to be targeted too so he will most likely come to that point where he is forced to enter the political fight to preserve his life, family and men. 

• Like 5

Hello guys!! 

I was curious one day about this drama since it was starring Zhang Zi Yi (+trailers showing clips of the male lead got me intrigued) so I decided to give it a go, and WHAT AN AMAZING DECISION THAT WAS!! *w* 

The story was a bit slow to pick up in the beginning, but I was curious to see how the leads would eventually meet and marry, so hanging on there was wise.

May I say, their acting is OOZING, and their chemistry and interactions are to die for!!! So so glad to see seasoned actors in a drama, they really do know what they're doing and where they're going with their characters *w* big thumbs up! I usually find c-dramas starring new or super popular but younger actors to be sometimes a hit or a miss. The leads' acting in this one is just so trustworthy, I feel like I can just watch and get awed by their performance instead of getting distracted by the execution. 

Just as mentioned a few posts away from mine, the male lead IS. A. HOTTIE!!!! At first I doubted their choice of male lead, cause I did not think him to be handsome. But he sure did grow on me and it did not take a long of time! Likeeeeeeeeeeee, now I love everything of him hahahah. From his countenance, his posture, his voice, his eyes, his EVERYTHING *w* like my god. I fall in love each time he's on the screen xD 

Can't wait for episode 18! Does anyone know when it will be aired?

By the way, I watch the drama without subs (and then with subs when they come out) and understand around 10% of what's being said since I don't speak Chinese (but years watching c-dramas did help a bit there xD), so reading your insights is very helpful. So grateful for all your comments and looking to read more from you guys!

Cheers!

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

I believe Xiao Qi made the conclusion that Emperor was behind the plot to kill them as he knew that the Xie family will not act as they did without the support of a higher authority. Wang Xuan cannot believe that of her Uncle Emperor. Xiao Qi is not interested in the palace politics as his main goal is the protection of the country. However, it is because Wang Lin bestowed his daughter to him so he was pulled into it not of his own choosing.

What did he refer to it ... an ant hill. Wang Xuan said that she is no ant. I loved how they joked with each other and the open affection display right in front of his men too.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

On 1/17/2021 at 5:19 PM, Catleya said:

btw, From my way of thinking, Xiao Qi forced to leave the city because of he understands that PM Wang and the Wang Clan is trying to gather more military power through him. He does not want to be the pawn of PM Wang for h

" The great princess Shangyang  and the suave third prince are the true match made in heaven. Do you really want me to stay and steal the love of another?" 

On 1/17/2021 at 7:06 PM, jacquelinetan said:

I think he did send letters and gifts but Wang Xuan ignored them. Xiao Qi told his man to continue sending letters and gifts.

Exactly.  Xiao Qi does not want to :

- get embroiled with the Palace intrigues.  With this marriage, all of PM's enemies became his as well

- nor be a 3rd party in Wang Xuan/ Zidan's love

He cannot defy the Royal Edict to marry her.

But you cannot change the facts that both of you are publicly married. Unless you divorce her.  But that will cause her even more humiliation.  So you have to show some responsibility. 

If you want to leave her to Zidan, why keep sending letters and gifts every month?  You both are married.  If Wang Xuan continues to see Zidan and ends up commiting adultery, would it be good for her reputation?  Is that what Xiao Qi wants?

Of course Wang Xuan is not this kind of person.  Zidan is possible. We have seen how he still want Wang Xuan to run away with him.

And when Xiao Qi was explaining the truth to Wang Xuan, he said he was not running away from her. He was running away from her father.

It may be a dilemma for him here.  But the rice has already turned into Broth.   

Yes. I admire him for saying this.  But once you both are married, this statement is Not Valid anymore.

Once married, Wang Xuan cannot stay in her home. She has to stay in her husband's manor.  Later, due to illness, she moved to Hui Zhou.  She don't have palace guards to protect her. Thus vulnerable to harm.

Besides my main point is - if the PM has not send someone to inform him, he didn't even know that Wang Xuan has been Kidnapped.  Since Jaqueline asked where is the father.

Whatever it is,  these are still the Highlights of this Drama.   Without which it would not be so  pulsating ....

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

Hi everyone! Loving the drama so far. Zhang Zi Yi is doing a fabulous job. The screen absolutely loves her! I wasn’t sure about the male lead, but he has definitely grown on me. 

What was surprising was how fast they both reconciled and fell in love. It took two, maybe three episodes? I love their playfulness and comfort with each other after that. But somehow, to me, the speed between her being rescued and their falling in love/consummation seems too fast and not quite convincing in terms of timeline.

Apart from that one “glitch”, there’s such great chemistry between our leads. I’m so loving this. 

I tried Legend of Fei and had to drop it, much as I love Zhao Li Ying. MingLan is one of my all-time faves. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, celebrianna said:

@minglanfan2, Story of Ming Lan is a huge favorite of mines. :D I also believe that Xiao Qi probably values the peace of the people more than getting involved in deadly political intrigues for personal gain. Unfortunately, since he commands an army, it’s inescapable that he will be drawn into political intrigues. He has already started to be targeted too so he will most likely come to that point where he is forced to enter the political fight to preserve his life, family and men. 

Glad to meet another minglan fan.:smile:I am hoping Rebel Princess will be equally entertaining.What you said is true. Xiao Qi is being left with no choice but to get involved in the world of murky court politics.He is a formidable opponent.I am sure Emperor and others will soon realize their error of dragging him in.Looking forward to see more of his character being revealed in the coming episodes.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DramaLover said:

Hi everyone! Loving the drama so far. Zhang Zi Yi is doing a fabulous job. The screen absolutely loves her! I wasn’t sure about the male lead, but he has definitely grown on me. 

What was surprising was how fast they both reconciled and fell in love. It took two, maybe three episodes? I love their playfulness and comfort with each other after that. But somehow, to me, the speed between her being rescued and their falling in love/consummation seems too fast and not quite convincing in terms of timeline.

I think it's not too fast.

We can see many clue from the first ep till ep 13 and the first time they encountered each other.

Xiao Qi was the first party who love her.

And Awu is the one who need time to realized she loves him too.

When Xiao Qi saved Awu from the rooftop, i think it's no a coincidence. Xiao Qi knew there was no Awu in the palace hall. He decided to went out. He said to his ennuch he need fresh air, but i think it's not the main reason. 

No wonder he cud find and save Awu. Since then he keep thinking about her.

Cmiiw.

• Like 1

@bomnie, I found Xiao Qi smoldering hot from the beginning. As a matter of fact, I don’t know any of these actors but just one look at this man with long hair that suits him, drew me to watch the show. lol The other guy who kidnaps her looks good too, objectively speaking, even if his character creeps me out in a real way because of his actions. 

@hush puppy, I’m so very curious to watch the subbed episode 12. I really want to hear all that Xiao Qi revealed to A’Wu about her dad’s schemes and basically the way he used her as a pawn to attempt to get his hands on Xiao Qi’s military power. Thanks to you I know what he will say though. 

@DramaLover, I can’t really comment on whether the romantic progress was fast because episodes 12 and above haven’t been released on Viki yet? Personally I think that once Xiao Qi told A’Wu the truth and she accepted it, all she needed to do now was to let go of the past. That stupid third prince made her wait all night for him in the rain and didn’t show up. A’Wu has probably long realized that their fate has ended. In fact, she even ordered her maid to burn the letter the third prince sent her. She probably had lingering feelings but she knows she’s a married woman now and she needs to put an end to those feelings. I think since she’s getting to know her husband better and they’ve cleared up their misunderstandings, it’s not hard to believe that she’s more open to her husband now because the reality is, he’s the person she has to spend her life with now. If he treats her respectfully, considerately and affectionately, I don’t see what’s to stop her from opening her heart to the man who will be her lifelong partner. I actually think this kind of relationship is nice too. When two people who weren’t in love marry, as was the custom in those days, and through mutual respect grow to love each other.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, jacquelinetan said:

I loved it how Xiao Qi's head snapped into attention when he heard that those two maids had upset his wife. Then he just told her to follow as his wife wishes.

Agree. ZYW's acting is very subtle. Loved him since Tribes and Empires and recently in The Message. He is such an under-rated actor. Glad that ZZY recognised his acting talent and hand picked him as her ML. He is like an union, many layers. I also liked the camp fire scene where he pulled her over with his big longing eyes. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I don’t find their romance development to be too fast...other than the dramatic rescue scene, I think their relationship will just quietly spiral deeper and deeper into love throughout the series. As for A’Wu she had her supposed eternal love of her life leave her in the rain for hours waiting, and now she has a husband who told her that he’d die with her. As much as she can try to cling to Zitan, she knows she can’t with that wide of a gap in terms of intent/actions by both men. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Saw ep 12,missed the anger laced with humiliation in the princess's response to Xiao Qi when she learnt how he saved her kidnapper and sent him back to fight for the throne.She was brave enough to remain calm and give him a condascending verbal whiplash on how she and He Lan prince were no different than pawns in his eyes.Would have liked to have seen a scene later with depiction of her anger about the tormentor set free for battlefield gains.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

On 1/11/2021 at 2:04 PM, tazmin said:

Back to Rebel, this is his third major drama I’ve seen where he’s been allowed to keep his hair(line) and it’s so refreshing, maybe he can start a movement which productions will start allowing male characters to have believable hairlines with their wigs or just allow them to wear with their hair with extensions 

Trust me, you do NOT want this to happen. Look at Saeguks (k-drama)... like Hwarang. They spend ALL their money on bg name actors, and run out of wig-budget. End up clipping some ugly extensions from the back, with modern day fluffy-bangs (that the actor originally has)... in the front. It looks so weird, cheap and lazy. Its worse when the Kings/ court officials have top-knots, yet edges of their modern day crops peek out from underneath their headgear. Major and EPIC fail!! C-dramas with productions that blend in the seam-edges and the lace look really good. I wish they wouldn't go the lazy way. This actually already looks SO good

• Like 3
  • Love 1