[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] The Rebel Princess上阳赋

sugarplum892

What century does this drama depict?

After seeing beautiful horses in Ningshou and Xiao Qi's stallion i came across this bit of info ...

The Chinese dedicated themselves for centuries to improving the horse both in terms of breed and numbers. In the reign of Emperor Wu Ti (141-87BC), at a point when the Chinese had already attained a great deal of expertise in their cavalry, an expedition was led against the Hsiung-nu barbarians. (4) The Chinese managed to seize their capital and capture all the best horses which were stabled there. Once they had acquired this large group of horses, they were able to cross-breed them with higher quality horses from Western kingdoms to the satisfaction of emperor and aristocrat alike. The exquisite Eastern Han bronze statue of the 'Flying Horse' pays homage to this breed. Light-footed, well-proportioned, capable of soaring like the wind, these horses were named Tien Ma, 'Celestial Horses'.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 4

@Catleya, do A’wu’s parents love each other? I never got that impression. I do understand the kind of loyalty that comes from spending years together though. I also don’t think the empress and emperor love each other. I see these relationships more like the relationships I saw in Story of Minglan where a lot of them weren’t necessarily love but a loyalty and familiarity formed through duty to the husband and vice versa. 

The wife of A’wu’s older brother is something else. It seems that most of her scenes are spent in bed with the second prince or, to put it another way, with her clothes off. It would be hilarious if in the end both of them fail miserably in their aspirations to the throne.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

25 minutes ago, Fenny Liong said:

It is true that later Awu will ask XIao QIe to take Weixin as concubine? Coz her health issue Awu can't give any child for Xiao Qi? 

As far as I know from earlier posts on this thread, A’Wu is the only woman XQ will have intimate relations with and they will have a son and a daughter. It was even mentioned that XQ will be strict with the son but spoil the daughter or go easier on her.

@Catleya, it seems to me that the Wang son was forced by his father to marry the wife. It was also a political marriage like all the others in this drama. Remember that night when his father forced him to return from going to his concubine, he and his father argued and we find out this was an arranged marriage and the son and the wife don’t get along. I wish he will find out soon that his wife is having an affair with the second prince. All of it is so messy. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

8 hours ago, Fenny Liong said:

So in the novel the former maid not betray Awu like in the drama?

I watch Tony in "love yourself" with Victoria Song n I think he fit the role there than in this drama lol...

she betrays her because she's in love with the third prince, there's just less reciprocation (even if accidental). and yeah I watched him in My Best Friend's Story recently (featuring Liu Shishi and Ni Ni), and he fits that role more, I think he looks better in modern dramas. He's more of a outgoing fun guy than elegant prince.

2 hours ago, celebrianna said:

@skibbies, I would prefer too that XQ and A’Wu live outside the court and travel the world like he promised but is there really someone solid that can lead the country? I don’t support any of the princes and I would hate to see any of them on the throne. Maybe a young prince who hasn’t been introduced yet, who was brought up sensibly, would be a good choice. 

You are right, no one is really fit to rule the country. Young prince could work, they could help till he's an adult and then retire?

2 hours ago, jadore1 said:

What century does this drama depict?

Late Eastern Jin so 400ish, royal family's Ma is likely Sima historically. Wang and Xie clan were at height of their power during this period (317~420), and their influence stayed throughout Southern Dynasties (420~589), they declined in Sui and Tang but still have ministers here and there. Xiao Qi is presumed to be partially based on Liu Yu 刘裕 who founded Liu Song dynasty (420~479), he's a general that came from humble background. Wang's various empress were actually real, but it happened mostly in Southern Dynasties so years later, and in different kingdoms, so the in-breeding is less prominent historically. Novels with prominent families in the background are usually set during this period, since it was real messy time, and prominent families stayed powerful while emperors come and goes.

Side note, Nirvana in Fire's Xie clan is likely the same Xie as here, and Langya does make people think of Wang clan (since the place is most well known for them), even though the story make no mentions of them. It's likely set in Southern Liang (502~557) with Emperor's surname being Xiao.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Blob 2

55 minutes ago, skibbies said:

Side note, Nirvana in Fire's Xie clan is likely the same Xie as here, and Langya does make people think of Wang clan (since the place is most well known for them), even though the story make no mentions of them. It's likely set in Southern Liang (502~557) with Emperor's surname being Xiao.

One of my pillars,  of most loved dramas in my crown ,  Nirvana in Fire :heart:, and I still cry at the end with the song ..."when the candles are burnt but the tears won't stop" .    

Now when i remember that cp and 2nd prince are so similar to these here .   Thank you @skibbies since this answers a piece of my puzzle. 

continued from the above info article ..." The attitude of the Chinese toward these Nomad  tribes is that of a feeling of superiority. It is true that they lacked a knowledge of Chinese ritual, but for all that the Chinese were more cultured, they were still at a disadvantage when it came to protecting themselves: "The strength of the Barbarians (I prefer to use Nomads or Indigenous tribes )  lies in their rudimentary laws and institutions. Their homes, food and clothing have for so long been so crude and barbaric that they have retained a violent savage character with the same customs, giving them a great advantage".

This situation was to present China with a dilemma for centuries: should China remain civilized and perish, or should it revert to a Barbarian state and survive. Always reluctant to relinquish any of its cultural advances, China was to reach a gradual compromise. After so many attempts by the Barbarians to penetrate the country, China allowed part of itself, the army, to become barbaric.  

That dance in ep 13  to me  looked like the the freedom loving nomads . 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

@UnniSarah, I don’t know if we will see them again. I only saw up to episode 21. A’Wu is currently in the capital so maybe the story has moved on from those two women. There’s also A’wu’s ex-friend who is plotting revenge against her. I think the ex-maid will succeed in poisoning A’Wu. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that only Helen Zhen will have the antidote to the poison to cure A’Wu.

• Like 3

@halleeThe guy who attacked the empress is the emperor's loyal eunuch. 

@celebrianna

On Awu's parents. Before the PM married the elder princess, he already had a girlfriend (his true love). But because of political reasons he married the elder princess to strengthen the power of the Wang clan. After he married the elder princess, he took in his girlfriend as a concubine. The elder princess was obviously not happy about the situation and complained to the dowager empress (her mother) about it. As a result, the dowager empress killed the concubine. This incident was a turning point in their marriage, as from then on, the PM became resentful and the elder princess was guilt ridden. So they have this "treat each other with respect" marriage but there is a lot of undercurrent. 

As for Awu's brother and SIL marriage. Actually, the brother did like the SIL and hand picked her to be his bride. But he didn't know that she was already in love with the 2nd prince. The PM knew but still went ahead and forcefully arranged the marriage for political reasons. Awu's brother only found out during the wedding night that his bride has no feelings for him at all, he felt dejected and never consumed their marriage. 

@UnniSarahThe 2 maids are long gone. Awu knew that they were trying to seduce XQ to secure a concubine position. So she arranged some money and gifts so that they can survive outside, and sent them away for good. 

@Fenny Liongit's very likely that XQ will remain faithful to Awu (novel was like this and based on how the drama is progressing, I think they will stick to it). There is a character in the novel that wanted to become XQ's concubine and ultimately replace Awu. Basically saying that Awu and XQ had been married for years w/o offspring. She can help "relieve" Awu from her responsibilities by bearing XQ's kids. But she didn't make any chance, as Awu stopped her plans. 

A comment on the empress. It appears that the empress too had a first love with official Wen before marrying the emperor for political reasons. Gosh, this drama is full of couples who had been broken up for political alliances. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

Ep 14

Another wonderful ep!

My fave scene:

1. Awu's parent scene.

What is the PM intention by visiting his wife? Was it love or he doesnt want his wife ruined his plan by staying at nunnery? But I think he was a bit caring to his wife. He called her by her name, Jinruo, not Eldest Princess while his wife called him Prime Minister. He let her stay a few days there.

They might be a lover if the situation is different. What a heartbreaking scene. 

2. AW and XQ farewell. 

XQ sighed and AW teary eyes. Beautiful yet sad. I sighed and got teary eyes too ..

Fave line:

XQ: Ningshuo or me?

AW: I will miss Ningshuo and I will miss you more 

:please:

• Like 1
  • Love 7
  • Blob 2

Awu is either getting betrayed or let down,left right and center by the people she most relied on.Thankfully she has an extremely intelligent,doting general to save and comfort her from these heartaches.

The only glitch he appears fleetingly on screen.The sabatouers are many and they jostle too much with the charismatic general for screentime.:dissapointed:

May the general's fierce sword play put the villians to a speedy rest so that his onscreen presence can be more.

• Like 6
  • Wiggle 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 1

@Polly A’Wu is so much better than her sister-in-law especially in morals. She didn’t love XQ when she married him but she wasn’t going to disrespect herself by having an affair with the third prince. I find the sister-in-law gross. She can refuse her husband but why is she out there constantly sleeping with the second prince? I want her to be found out so bad so that they can throw her out. Then she can sleep with the second prince all day if she so desires. 

About the Wang and Imperial families, that’s some drama right there. So nobody got to marry for love. I guess that’s why they didn’t care about A’wu’s feelings for the third prince. Fortunately in A’wu’s case, it turned out that their interference has possibly led her to the greatest love of her life. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 2

@Polly This is General Song right 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29fc5f911b4d5a48efb5I am starting to doubt that PM doesn’t love his kids at all. At first I thought he may have been manipulative but still cared for his kids but NOW, I am full of doubt. I don’t th ink je loves his sister at all. Episode 14 show the Empress is losing her mind and her brother has. I care for it . Only his ambitions are important.  I feel bad for the PM’s son and daughter. At least his daughter will be happy but I don’t know if his son will be able to survive till the end . He is so miserable and I don’t think he cares for his father. 

24e433c46459604c2c3426ec2b1d97d8.gif

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f291337debf323ade22e4

This scene had really impressed me because it felt like hubby was frustrated after being ignored for four night. 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f291337debf323ade22e4

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

@UnniSarahYes, that's general song in the future. He doesn't have a beard now yet.

I caught on to the latest episodes. I wouldn't want to spoil you too much. But from the later episodes it does appear that the PM cared for his family but at the same time he is unwilling to forgo his ambition. 

@celebriannaI suspect one of the reasons why XQ left Awu on the wedding day is also to give her a chance to go back to Zitan if she wanted to. I know some viewers find it terrible that XQ left her like that. But I actually think he is very considerate. Leaving her before the wedding night means that everyone will know that they haven't consummated the marriage yet. So she is still a virgin. And, if Awu had asked for a divorce to remarry Zitan, he would have granted her the divorce. Fortunately, Awu is not like her SIL and remained faithful to her marriage even though she wasn't in love with XQ yet. If the SIL had done the same, i.e. don't look back and give Awu's brother a chance, then they could have had a blissful marriage too. Too bad sigh. 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 4

@Polly Thank you for the info. I needed it so badly . This drama is so good, you can tell this drama is for MATURE AUDIENCES who enjoy this kind of drama. 

i despise Awu’s SIL. She acts like her hubby is the one who did her wrong. She hurt him and doesn’t deserve to stay married to him. After all her father has dragged her I treasonous plot and she may not live which gives me hope ? He will get the chance to be happy. She wasn’t true to her vows and her arrogance needs to before fixed. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1