[Drama 2022] Juvenile Justice/ Juvenile Judgement, 소년심판

larus

Currently watching ep7... 

I understand that this drama tries to show, regardless of what, justice must be served.. in a non-realistic world..

In realistic world, the action by Presiding Judge Kang, would have been a non-issue... his 22 years record OF EXCELLENT AND ETHICAL jusgements, were tainted not by him, but his wife and child... so its kinda sad to see him down because of that...

And i dont know why they are acting like prosecuters instead of judges ...then again, i havent seen jusdges investigates and visiting..... (maybe Devil judge.. hmm?...i forgot, haha) dont thsy have a lot of work to do...

This is why, i think the story and directing wise, its not as good as Hyena (KHS last drama); that drama really have suspense and keep our seats on the edge.. wanting to know the outcome

• Like 1

So episode 3... where in the world did the writer get his information that domestic violence cases have to stand trial within 24 hours? That's against U.S constitutional law and Bill of Rights regarding due process. Even using the speedy trial law, you're not going to go to trial within 24 hours even if you're pleading guilty. No No. There is not one state in all 50 states that gives you a trial within 24 hours.

• Like 1

Juvenile Justice: Episodes 2-12 (Series review)

JuvenileJusticeReview_00.jpg

by DaebakGrits

After the sensationalized murder of the first episode, Juvenile Justice takes a slight step back to examine the societal influences that impact the more common and nuanced cases protected by the Juvenile Act. But at the center of every ruling is a judge who is vehemently biased against juvenile criminals.

EPISODES 2-12 REVIEW

JuvenileJusticeReview_01.jpg

Juvenile Justice was not what I expected. Initial trailers and promos set me up to believe it would be slightly humorous, and even though it was apparent from the first episode that was not the direction the show would take, certain elements — Eun-seok’s emphatic proclamation that she hates juvenile delinquents and the Truck of Doom — made me suspect it might address the inadequacies of the juvenile justice system through dark comedy. Instead, it was just dark.

The first episode, with all its shock and awe, mimics the way juvenile cases are generally perceived by the South Korean public. The more heinous crimes committed by minors are prominently featured and exploited by the press, and the public goes rabid, vilifying teens and demanding legal reformation.

The first episode did well to use a series of unreliable flashbacks to skew the audience’s perspective — mine included — to paint Seong-woo as the monster the public perceived him to be. While the truth behind the murder was no less gruesome, it did set the stage for our characters to discuss the press’s biased coverage of juvenile crimes and the ramifications of the Juvenile Act.

I wish I could say that this drama explores this issue further, but it doesn’t do a thorough job. Juvenile Justice is fairly episodic — dedicating approximately an episode and a half to each new case. While the setup gave the story the ability to cover a variety of crimes, it also hindered the narrative from delving deeply into many of the societal issues that lead to criminal acts. That said, the show didn’t completely ignore or shy away from them either.

In fact, the second case our judges face involves domestic abuse and directly calls attention to the reality that violent home lives lead to runaway teens, who resort to criminal activities — like theft and prostitution — as a means of survival. At the center of this case is SEO YU-RI (Shim Dal-gi), one of Tae-ju’s reformed teenagers, who flees her abusive father and is understandably frustrated that the law seems designed to punish her while protecting him.

JuvenileJusticeReview_03.jpg

The case is as much about Tae-ju as it is about Yu-ri, though. He was also abused by his father as a child, and he was sent to a rehabilitation center after defending himself. His past explains his softer stance towards the teens and his consistent faith that they can be reformed.

Unfortunately, even though Tae-ju is meant to serve as Eun-seok’s foil, he doesn’t do well to challenge her convictions. Instead, the drama depicts him as a champion of the children who gets consistently steamrolled by Eun-seok’s uncanny ability to find evidence to prove he’s being too naive.

Despite all Eun-seok’s declarations that she hates juvenile delinquents, though, she feels less anti-criminal and more pro-victim. That isn’t to say she’s not biased — because she definitely is — but I think it’s an important distinction to make.

Instead of looking for excuses to severely punish the children who end up in her courtroom — as one would expect from someone claiming she hates young criminals — she seems more driven to uncover the truth so she can issue an appropriate ruling and find closure for the victims and their families.

She’s also aware that juveniles are not inherently evil but are influenced by their environment. When reading over her files she pays particular attention to their background, highlighting details that would potentially contribute to their behavior. And when she’s given the opportunity to hold the parents accountable, she issues mandatory parenting classes and — in the case of Yu-ri’s abusive father — time in a probation facility.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2022/03/juvenile-justice-episodes-2-12-series-review/

• Like 1

Just saw the ending... it was ok..not as bad as some viewers commented on... though

I didnt understand why she has to burn the pictures of her son with her?

Gotta feel sorry to the father of the child, Chan's father, whom she also ignored?

I keep thinking.. why they never switch off the mike after they leave the court session, ie the red colour on the mike... :lol: someone switch it off pls....  save electricity!

I still dont understand why the two young judges acted like prosecutors, ie going to crime sites, interviewing witnesses or victims.... are they so free?... 

Overall, i wouldnt be surprised it there is a 2nd season? :w00t:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, realistic2280a said:

I still dont understand why the two young judges acted like prosecutors, ie going to crime sites, interviewing witnesses or victims.... are they so free?... 

I was not surprised because I read an article before this drama have aired that explained that judges in juvenile court have a different role than other courts. They can interview witnesses, victims or perpetrators.

The article above is about what happened in the drama but it must be true that juvenile judges have a different aproach in their court.

‘Juvenile Justice’ Ending, & Cases, Explained: Why Did Judge Sim Eun-seok Hate Young Offenders?

ezgif-1-c57409eab4-compressed.jpg?w=1200

“Juvenile Justice,” a 2022 South Korean legal drama series, starts with an outrage where the public demands that the juvenile act should be abolished and the perpetrators should be brought to justice, who otherwise escape the clutches of the law merely because they are underage. There is a snippet where a judge named Sim Eun Seok says in an interview that out of the 3000 odd judges in South Korea, only 0.6 percent work in juvenile courts. She says that it is because of this scarcity and her willingness to improve the juvenile justice system that she has taken the step to work in the juvenile courts.

Also, to understand the narrative of “Juvenile Justice,” it is essential to understand the technicalities of the juvenile system in South Korea. There are no prosecutors in the juvenile courts. The judges themselves take the onus of questioning the accused and then coming to a particular conclusion. After probation is granted to the child offenders, the judges also have to monitor them. The police do provide them with a basic background search and help in the investigation, but the onus a lot of times falls on the judges themselves. The window is kept wide open, and if the judge is not satisfied with the facts presented, then because of the gray area present in the law, they can themselves initiate an investigation on their own. It is a thin line where the probability of going ultra-wires is also there. The Juvenile Criminal Collegiate division in Yeonhwa District Court handled juvenile protection cases as well as juvenile criminal cases. The graveness of the matter and the punitive action taken by the judges differed greatly in both types of cases.

more

https://dmtalkies.com/juvenile-justice-season-1-cases-ending-explained-2022-series/

• Love 1

Kim Hye Soo Talks About Her Character In “Juvenile Justice,” Working With Kim Moo Yeol, And More

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Mar 7, 2022
by J. Ahn

In a recent interview, Kim Hye Soo shared her thoughts on how she prepared for “Juvenile Justice,” chemistry with cast mates, and more!

“Juvenile Justice” is a legal drama that takes place when a prickly judge who hates juvenile offenders is newly appointed to the juvenile court of the Yeonhwa District. The judge, who was a victim of a juvenile crime before, faces various cases involving youth and discovers what it truly means to be an adult.

Kim Hye Soo plays Shim Eun Seok, a judge in the juvenile court of the Yeonhwa District. She is someone with charismatic eyes and a rough personality who is fierce enough to be considered arrogant. She has a competitive streak, which helped her push past her male colleagues to reach the top.

kim-hye-soo-1.jpeg

Kim Hye Soo talked about how she prepared for her role. “The script came in early, and that gave me lots of time to prepare. There was never an easy moment on set. It’s a type of drama where you can’t get any rest. I felt like this was one where there was a great sense of responsibility.”

She continued to talk about her character, saying, “I thought hard about every single word and action that Shim Eun Seok made to bring out what the character is trying to show. Compared to other dramas I’ve worked on, there was a different kind of weight and responsibility on my shoulders.”

The actress discussed the difficulties she faced while filming for the drama. “I try my best with all my other works as well, but I prepared so hard for this one that I couldn’t even stand properly on set. What kept me going was the message behind the drama. I wanted this to be created well so that a lot of people could relate to it and possibly have a change in perspective.”

Spoiler

kim-hye-soo-2.jpeg

Kim Hye Soo also talked about working with Kim Moo Yeol.

Kim Moo Yeol plays a judge named Cha Tae Joo who overcame the hardships of a poor environment and became a judge after taking the high school qualification exam. Cha Tae Joo is 180 degrees different from Shim Eun Seok. Unlike her, he is a firm believer in second chances. He believes that people can change for the better if their stories are heard.

The actress commented, “He’s a great actor. I think you truly realize how great an actor is once you work with them. I liked how he was able to look over the entire flow of the drama. Out of the four judges, Cha Tae Joo is the one who is quiet and serious. The way Kim Moo Yeol exudes his energy is quite different. He focuses even more internally.”

She continued to praise his acting abilities, saying, “There are details that are in the script, but Kim Moo Yeol really brought out every detail of his character. I thought that his character was the one that eases out the tension between the four judges.”

Kim Hye Soo also mentioned working with Jo Woo Jin on her 2018 film, “Default.” “It meant a lot to work with him because I loved his acting. Kim Moo Yeol and Jo Woo Jin are different kinds of actors, but they’re both smart and take a rational approach when it comes to acting. He was a great partner. I learned a lot from him.”

kim-hye-soo-3.jpeg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1516023wpp/kim-hye-soo-talks-about-her-character-in-juvenile-justice-working-with-kim-moo-yeol-and-more

• Like 1

Overlooked this but gave in due to reading some good reviews. Have only watched 2 ep. but it's been riveting so far. I'm sort of hoping there'd be a loveline for Judges Cha with Shim no LoL?

Many of youth are given the easy slap on wrist due to age. I'm glad that Judge Shim sees beyond that & punishes these juvenile criminals severely.

Also oftentimes the perps are let off the hook using the mental illness excuse. The Ji Hoo case was very tragic. Ye Eun, Seung Woo (who look more of a transgender?) what those 2 did together was unfathomable & beyond comprehension.

'Juvenile Judgment' ranks first in the world for watching non-English series on Netflix

image_readtop_2022_226875_16469543584971

According to 'Netflix Top 10', a site that unveils Netflix's official viewing hours on the 10th, 'Boys' Judgment' will have 45.93 million hours of viewing time in the first week of March (February 28 - March 6) and took the top spot in the non-English-speaking drama category.

'Juvenile Judgment', which was released on the 25th of last month, ranked 3rd in the non-English-speaking drama category in the fourth week of February (February 21-27), the first week of its release.

Previously, the Korean dramas 'Squid Game', 'Hell' and 'Now at Our School' were mega hits one after another, and as the previews for the advisory panel who helped in the production of the work received rave reviews, domestic and international expectations were high. Although the start was a bit behind as it portrayed a heavy subject in a realistic way, it is showing a steep rise through word of mouth, causing a predicted syndrome.

Meanwhile, in the ranking of non-English-speaking dramas in the first week of March, in addition to 'Boys Judgment', 'Now At Our School' (3rd place, 24.2 million hours), '25th Twenty One' (5th, 13.72 million hours), ' Five Korean works, including 'People of the Korea Meteorological Administration' (7th place, 17.9 million hours) and 'Thirty, nine' (9th place, 14.9 million hours) made the top 10.

https://www.mk.co.kr/star/movies/view/2022/03/226875/

• Like 1

Juvenile Justice review – complex courtroom drama with a lot of issues

byJonathon Wilson

First of all, props to Juvenile Justice. It’s a serious South Korean drama about a complicated, contentious topic that isn’t afraid to be unflinching in its depiction of it. Despite all the problems I have with it – and there are a few! – I’m ultimately glad it exists and happy that it has been released in its entirety on Netflix, where a vast global userbase exposed to the relative majesty of Korean television thanks to Squid Game and All of Us Are Dead will be able to check it out. But, yeah… I have some problems.

First, premise. The show, directed by Jong-Chan Hong, focuses predominantly on Shim Eun-seok (Kim Hye-su), a judge who, by her own admission, vehemently despises young offenders and has earned the nickname “Judge Max” for always ensuring that juveniles who pass through her courtroom are given the maximum sentence. She’s appointed as a judge at a juvenile court and forced to contend with a variety of cases involving young people across ten hour-long episodes. In the meantime, her own position is alternately justified and challenged by the complex interplay of the education and justice systems, parenthood, mental illness, socioeconomics, and morality.

That sounds fine – good, even, and perhaps important were it handled the right way, which in many instances it isn’t. It becomes clear within the very first episode that Juvenile Justice has a problem with its writing – check the overabundance of relevant facts and statistics that are artlessly recounted at every opportunity – and tone, the latter being a particular issue that manifests in a few ways. On some level, the show wants to have its cake and eat it in terms of being a twisty-turny procedural crime thriller and a serious unpacking of the juvenile justice system. The cases are deliberately awful in a way that can feel provocative and lurid. On one hand, these kinds of things happen all the time, and juveniles have been responsible for some of the most abhorrent crimes in history, but on the other, it’s clear that we’re often playing for a deliberate, off-putting edginess here that can take away from some of the human drama at the show’s core.

That human drama is there, certainly, and is intermittently affecting, but it’s sometimes undercut by the show’s unclear stance on Eun-seok’s viewpoint. Another character, a prosecutor named Cha Tae-ju (Mu-Yeol Kim), is immediately introduced as Eun-seok’s moral opposite, someone who deeply believes in rehabilitation and the juvenile court’s responsibility to sustain relationships with young offenders long after their trials have concluded to coach them back into polite society. And yet he’s frequently proved wrong and naïve by Eun-seok. Showing why she feels the way she does is one thing, but tacitly endorsing her viewpoint even though it’s obviously contentious is quite another.

Of course, ten episodes is a lot, and with each one being an hour, there’s plenty of time for Eun-seok’s stance to soften, and for her to become more acutely aware of how the interplay of various factors helps to shape a young person’s mind, personality, and actions (which, for someone in her position, should be obvious anyway, but I digress). But on the way to this realization, there are plenty of uncomfortable scenes and developments that can be read explicitly as Juvenile Justice siding with its protagonist, or at least not properly challenging her. In a show with such a complex and nuanced topic at its core, this shouldn’t be the case.

Other downsides are understandable genre pitfalls. For instance, the Chief Judge, Kang (Lee Sung-min), is looking at a political appointment that requires the cases be downplayed and not subject to public scrutiny, but Eun-seok is well-known as a contentious figure and the inability of juvenile court to properly sentence juveniles almost irrespective of their crimes is a PR disaster waiting to happen. Kang would prefer every case to be open-and-shut and to be handled behind closed doors, so his job is essentially to scream at Eun-seok for trying to properly investigate a case – which, as a judge, she isn’t supposed to be doing anyway, but since we need some procedural elements to keep people engaged, she always ends up doing the deductive reasoning in person like Sherlock Holmes.

I don’t subscribe to the belief that all TV shows need a “likable” protagonist, but most need a clear point of view. Kim Hye-su delivers a tremendous performance here that the writing doesn’t always support, and the tendency for the script to devolve into preachy monologues does the whole thing a disservice. There’s interesting interplay between the show’s procedural and more serialized elements that makes the entire season dump an intriguing decision, but its overall tone can be grating in large doses, and it might have been better suited to the usual twice-weekly distribution that Netflix employs for most of its k-drama slate. Either way, there’s an interesting season of television here, just one that can’t quite live up to its full potential.

https://readysteadycut.com/2022/02/25/juvenile-justice-review-complex-courtroom-drama-with-a-lot-of-issues/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2022 at 9:36 PM, realistic2280a said:

Currently watching ep7... 

I understand that this drama tries to show, regardless of what, justice must be served.. in a non-realistic world..

In realistic world, the action by Presiding Judge Kang, would have been a non-issue... his 22 years record OF EXCELLENT AND ETHICAL jusgements, were tainted not by him, but his wife and child... so its kinda sad to see him down because of that...

And i dont know why they are acting like prosecuters instead of judges ...then again, i havent seen jusdges investigates and visiting..... (maybe Devil judge.. hmm?...i forgot, haha) dont thsy have a lot of work to do...

This is why, i think the story and directing wise, its not as good as Hyena (KHS last drama); that drama really have suspense and keep our seats on the edge.. wanting to know the outcome

Ikr i feel sad for him, even the lady judge pressure him so much when actually the one who tell his son to join descartes are his not so smart wife, even with the shock reaction at hospital when the lady judge said sin u name, i mean you can try to control your expression to not make it obvious and safe your child haha

• Blob 1

• larus changed the title to [Drama 2022] Juvenile Justice/ Juvenile Judgement, 소년심판

Kim Hye Soo appears on the red carpet at Baeksang Awards 2022. She is nominated for Best Actress category for Juvenile Judgement

30000761087_1280.jpg

Actress Kim Hye-soo has photo time with her at the '58th Baeksang Arts Awards' red carpet event held at KINTEX, Ilsan, Goyang-si, Gyeonggi-do, on the afternoon of the 6th.

Actress Lee Yeon was nominated for Best New Actress.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

2022 APAN Star Awards Announces Nominees

Aug 31, 2022
by L. Kim

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

The nominees for the 2022 APAN Star Awards have been revealed!

The event will be held at the Korea International Exhibition Center (KINTEX) in Ilsan, Gyeonggi Province on September 29. It has been confirmed that Yuri and Jung Il Woo will be the MCs of this year’s APAN Star Awards.

Check out this year’s nominees below!

Best Writer:

Kim Min Seok (Netflix’s “Juvenile Justice”)

Noh Hee Kyung (tvN’s “Our Blues”)

Moon Ji Won (ENA’s “Extraordinary Attorney Woo”)

Park Hae Young (JTBC’s “My Liberation Notes”)

Jung Hae Ri (“MBC’s “The Red Sleeve”)

Excellence Award, Actress in an OTT Series:

Kim Hyun Joo (Netflix’s “Hellbound”)

Lee Yoo Mi (Netflix’s “Squid Game,” Netflix’s “All of Us Are Dead”)

Lee Jung Eun (Netflix’s Juvenile Justice”)

Jung Eun Chae (Coupang Play’s “Anna”)

Han Sun Hwa (“Work Later, Drink Now”)

Top Excellence Award, Actress in an OTT Series: 

Kim Go Eun (TVING’s “Yumi’s Cells,” TVING’s “Yumi’s Cells 2”)

Kim Sung Ryung (wavve’s “Political Fever”)

Kim Hye Soo (Netflix’s “Juvenile Justice”)

Suzy (Coupang Play’s “Anna”)

Han So Hee (Netflix’s “My Name”)

https://www.soompi.com/article/1543034wpp/2022-apan-star-awards-announces-nominees

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

The production of Netflix JuvenileJustice season 2 reportedly has been cancelled. Casting is said to have started, but before final announcement is made the audition reps announce to participants that the production has been cancelled

Netflix reps says that nothing is confirmed regarding season 2 of JuvenileJustice (we believe that they meant it includes the news of production cancellation)