[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] The Romance of Tiger and Rose 传闻中的陈芊芊

pad-hari

5 hours ago, Adidaem said:

Can’t rem if this has been posted. bts of QQ shielding HS when they wanted to take his rib bone

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4511791060039248

Okay this was super adorable.

The joke here, is that the assistant director accidentally said "pork ribs" instead of rib bone. That's why LS was laughing, and then someone else called LS pork ribs again cause it's hilarious.

The guy who in the end got LS in the final position is the director! He knows exactly how to frame it to make it better!

----

Re: jail - Chinese fans has a lot to say about that. Mainly 1) It was too short 2) Of all places, they chose the one place that doesn't have a door? 3) They had so many chances and they foregone those until they ended up in jail?!

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

12 hours ago, Isrin said:

Finally found this clip of BaiBai and RuiRui singing together :joy:

https://weibo.com/6930217150/J4Y1MgjZM

So funny the part where HS and QQ couldn't bear to part with each other, and he called her Xiao Qian, and she called him Shuo Shuo. Then Bai Ji called Zi Rui as Rui Rui, and Zi Rui called Bai Ji as Bai Bai! Bai Ji barfed! I repeated that scene so many times cos it was too funny :joy:

Edited by angelangie
Mod Edit: Do not quote pictures
  • LOL 4

4 hours ago, insertusernamehere said:

I want this writer to take every sad cdrama and make a funny version of it lol sometimes I feel like cdramas are torturous for the sake of it, not because of any real narrative reason...

The scriptwriter & director manages to insert the:

*forced marriage 

*enemies to lovers trope

*competition of the throne inheritor (crown princess tittle)

*ML & FL feed each other antidote by kiss

*ML get poison by aphrodisiac

*FL get kidnap by bad guys (Meng Gao) 

*FL get backstabbed with people she thinks her ally (Su Zi Ying)

*ML in-laws conflicts (Han Shou & the queen)

*FL noble idiot acts

*FL sibling rivalry 

*ML at 2nd FL side for a moment

(Han Shou political alliance with Chu Chu) 

*ML conquer the FL city (transformation of ML)

*ML & FL lovers spat

*the interruption of consummation for ML & FL

and finally consummate

*FL sacrifices by stabbing herself

*FL actually just fake her own death

*one of the villain (Lin Qi) help FL (twist of the villain character)

*FL & ML love confessions

*FL interactions with her in-laws

*in-laws meet in-laws

*ML get hurt & sick at the final battle

(tragic ending in FL transmigration world)

*FL & ML meet again in real life

And others trope/cliche/stereotypes all in just these 24 episodes.

If this drama is not a romcom and has a serious tone like other historical romance dramas, usually it gonna be like 30+ or 40+ or even 50+ episodes LOOL:lol:

His Royal Hotness gif:

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
  • Insightful 1

30 minutes ago, arcchidus said:

Translation:

LS: (In very quiet, girly voice) Hello everyone, I am DYX.

YX: Don't debase me like that.

Thank you for translation!

The actress who acts as Lin Qi looks like a playful & funny lady too

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

10 minutes ago, elsanna said:

How are you guys understanding it:neutral:

Of course I don't understand raw episodes 100% LOL.

Other than guessing what happened when watching raw episodes, I read other people opinions & comments in this forum, ig & twitter to get some understanding of the drama plots & scenes.

Have to wait until next week to watch the drama with English subtittle.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I'm not gonna lie the shoe-horned in angsty melodrama from the last few episodes kinda tainted the whole thing a little bit for me. I think QQ crossed the line one too many times and the repeated humiliation of HS is really over the top. Once or twice is ok but the repetitiveness of the same thing over and over is too much. They really put HS through the wringer and never really made it up to him. He's practically a saint for putting up with that whole city and not tearing it down.  

I had so much hope too from the epi. 1 that it was going to have some witty commentary about gender equality, with the setup of the 2 cities and HXM's line to XQ that she wasn't really looking for gender equality and that the male chauvinism she criticized is exactly what her script is guilty of, in reverse. I thought that was going to foreshadow her learning what real equality means and flip her script while she was living it but it didn't really do any of that. 

That said there are a lot of bright spots and the 2 leads are charming enough to pull it through. New found fan of the both of them. The 2 sidekicks are a highlight too-my favorite moment of them I think is the Rui Rui/Bai Bai part and then BB looking like he was going to barf.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

I suddenly remembered that when TMOPB aired, Mark Chao was described as having 整容般的演技 meaning his acting skills actually made him look better and better over the course of the drama as if it was plastic surgery. 

Did anyone else feel the same way about DYX? I didn’t think he was conventionally good looking when the show started, but he has definitely becoming better looking to me over the course of the show. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Awesome 2

1 hour ago, elsanna said:

I can understand basic Mandarin but there are still some plots that I missed, but luckily can understand the jist of it. I just couldn't wait for the subs to come out :joy:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lizax1 said:

I had so much hope too from the epi. 1 that it was going to have some witty commentary about gender equality, with the setup of the 2 cities and HXM's line to XQ that she wasn't really looking for gender equality and that the male chauvinism she criticized is exactly what her script is guilty of, in reverse. I thought that was going to foreshadow her learning what real equality means and flip her script while she was living it but it didn't really do any of that.

Wait, how far did you get with the show because I thought they did address that in the last few episodes of the show even if it was a little rushed.

QQ even said something along the line of oh, this isn't equality at all. I didn't consider that by making a female run society, I was creating inequality for the guys in that society.

Finally, maybe because I get to watch all the episodes all at once, I really don't mind the angst - It lasted 2 episodes only so it was over really quick + it made HS's turning a tiny bit dark really satisfying. He was pushed so far, you know, so his action felt a lot more justified than usual. 

---

@Adidaem Definitely felt that way. He was fairly normal looking to me before, but after 24 episodes, he is ultra hot to me now. I think it's his micro-expressions.  :)

I think in one of the interviews LS (or was it the writer?) made a comment about in real life it's pretty hard to find a HS. It's definitely the reason why DYX now has so many fans (haha)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, arcchidus said:

Wait, how far did you get with the show because I thought they did address that in the last few episodes of the show even if it was a little rushed.

QQ even said something along the line of oh, this isn't equality at all. I didn't consider that by making a female run society, I was creating inequality for the guys in that society.

Finally, maybe because I get to watch all the episodes all at once, I really don't mind the angst - It lasted 2 episodes only so it was over really quick + it made HS's turning a tiny bit dark really satisfying. He was pushed so far, you know, so his action felt a lot more justified than usual. 

Yeah it's just lip service. She should've realized it back in ep.2? or so when she was reflecting on the male brothel/no rights situation and said something similar already. I thought the story was gonna go the way of her trying to change it seeing as she was the one with the power. But she didn't really and even in her personal dealings, she took advantage of the power imbalance. I think it would've added more meat to the story if her and HS actively worked to bring the 2 cities together and equal and there could've been good comedy there seeing the citizens trying to integrate. 

Dark HS is like Winnie the Pooh without his honey lol which is to say still just a silly teddy bear that's a tiny bit grumpy for a sec. Since people are talking about it, Goodbye My Princess...that's what I consider dark. I hated that drama by the way, because the drama tried to justify LYC and there's no excusing any of that. The book was better because it was honest about LYC being more like a villain and the way he absolutely ruined XF's life and drove her to her death.

I think DYX in here is good-looking but not hot. But I find him hot in Intense Love which I just started. Maybe it's the hair. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

7 hours ago, elsanna said:

its a bit hard to watch raw if you dont understand it at all and will miss the conversations. Although you know the ending.

I was up to episode 14 subbed yesterday and got impatient once I read the spoilers here. And just fast fw bits till ep 24.

I know enough Mandarin. A bit frustrated through as I am now stuck waiting or rather deciding whether to rewatch with subs for this series, Intense Love, Girlfriend and My Dear Lady. I am going back to Kdramas now since I have been waiting for 3 dramas.

I encourage you to learn Mandarin as I can watch both Chinese and Kdramas raw. Not 100% but over 50% which is enough to alleviate frustration.

The male lead looks better than in Intense Love though. He suits the costumes better although he looks as if his clothes have padded shoulders.

Can anyone recommend the female lead in another drama? With a better more definite happy ending? Considering IL has an actress getting into trouble, having a real boyfriend; QQ dating an actor here in the ending doesn't sit well with me. Don't get me wrong happy to have found this drama. its light and entertaining. I didn't quite like the other male actors looks or characters wise but quite like the main couple.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

6 hours ago, Adidaem said:

I suddenly remembered that when TMOPB aired, Mark Chao was described as having 整容般的演技 meaning his acting skills actually made him look better and better over the course of the drama as if it was plastic surgery. 

Did anyone else feel the same way about DYX? I didn’t think he was conventionally good looking when the show started, but he has definitely becoming better looking to me over the course of the show. 

I think it was his wig that did him dirty. His character and charisma/charm definitely made him look better and better to me, but I also changed my mind once I saw him with normal hair. What a difference a hairstyle makes! He suits wavy long hair or sharp short hair much better, not the weird low-hairline-with-back-braids style they gave him here.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

11 hours ago, lizax1 said:

Yeah it's just lip service. She should've realized it back in ep.2? or so when she was reflecting on the male brothel/no rights situation and said something similar already. I thought the story was gonna go the way of her trying to change it seeing as she was the one with the power. But she didn't really and even in her personal dealings, she took advantage of the power imbalance. I think it would've added more meat to the story if her and HS actively worked to bring the 2 cities together and equal and there could've been good comedy there seeing the citizens trying to integrate. 

Xiao Qian is a rookie scriptwriter.

After her drama script been criticized with the actor who gonna acts as male lead for her script, she modifies her script and entered into dream world because of exhaustion as one of the side character who should die in the episode 3.

She thought she's gonna die on her wedding night but she didn't.

Because she wants to come back to the real world, she tried to commit suicide but scared and then thinks, what if she die in this world means she will die in real world too?

So she plans to just blends along in this dream world by getting her male lead & female lead of her script falls in love & wait until the final episode to get back to the real world. 

Thus, her journey in the dream world based on her drama script began. 

As the scriptwriter, she tried to make the plot come together but the outcome still become otherwise.

*She should die in episode 3 by male lead poisoning but she didn't.

*Chu Chu should become crown princess but she didn't.

*Han Shou should falls in love with Chu Chu but he falls for her instead.

*Pei Heng falls for her.

*Chu Chu should become the female lead but she become a villain instead.

*Han Shou should bombed the HuaYuan city but he didn't.

*Her mother, the queen should die but she didn't.

*Su Mu, Yuan Yuan love interest should catch the embroidered ball but he didn't.

And other plots change.

Because actually, the moment she become the 3rd princess, Qian Qian, she is no longer the scriptwriter aka the creator but she is the actress aka the character instead.

Since she become one of the character, she doesn't has the power to change as you mentioned.

Not only that, she has to deals with other characters that are also humans with flesh & emotion of their own that contribute to the plots while the dream world keeps moving.

After she come into the dream world, she become from:

Finding the way to goes back to the real world by getting Chu Chu & Han Shou together

TO

Trying to save & stay with Han Shou in the dream world

She has to faces Chu Chu plans & attacks after Chu Chu resents her too so I don't think she can 100% focus to working together with Han Shou about 2 cities or whatnot although she still tried to do the crown princess work. Not to mentioned she didn't even want to be crown princess at the first place.

I think one of this drama main point that it want to show is how Chen Xiao Qian gained experience to write a script with a better love story between the main leads.

The matriach society and other plots are just side point.

In episode 1 the actor questioned Xiao Qian about why the male lead falls in love with female lead in her script.

Is it just because she's the heroine?

Sometimes romance drama scriptwriters have a habit to flesh out main male lead & 2nd female lead interactions or main female lead & 2nd male lead interactions more than main leads. This make audience like me shipping them more the main leads or make me having the 2nd lead syndrome.

So, other than equality standing between the main leads, the interactions between the main leads also play an important part to establishing their relationship in a romance dramas.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, insertusernamehere said:

I think it was his wig that did him dirty. His character and charisma/charm definitely made him look better and better to me, but I also changed my mind once I saw him with normal hair. What a difference a hairstyle makes! He suits wavy long hair or sharp short hair much better, not the weird low-hairline-with-back-braids style they gave him here.

Agree with what you said

his hair styling is not that great in this show. He’s rather handsome as we can see in the modern drama intense love. With a better stylist, he definitely will look better.

i dun like quan Qian hair too. Can do better than that..

Low cost production I Guess, just braid here braid there.

i am having withdrawal syndrome after binge marathon all the raw episodes ..

not sure what to watch next while waiting for full English subs( to rewatch again ) 

suggestions are welcomed !!!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

The two leads haven’t even done a single live shoot or event together and the show is only 24 episodes long, yet their shipping tag is now top 6. It’s madness. 

They will meet up on Friday for the fan meet so I hope they will finally do one shoot together in modern clothes and make us all swoon. 

This is a really cute gif art that’s perfect for phone background
https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4511682124225703

BTS of YX working hard. https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4511702492383872

I actually kind of like the way historical clothes look on him so I prefer him in historical drama even though he was very cute in Intense Love too (that doctor was also a perfect bf)

• Like 4
  • LOL 2