[Drama 2020] My Unfamiliar Family, (아는 건 별로 없지만) 가족입니다

0ly40

@Nodame I am glad you enjoyed reading my analysis! I was inspired by Tablo's Podcast highlight: How to Discover Your Passion with Tablo.  He talks about recognizing what you like about your hobbies. Of course, watching kdramas is my hobby and I learned that observing the spaces and color schemes always keeps me on my toes. It also helps to watch it raw and see how these characters live in their space (:

Spoiler

I also was into the hit drama Hospital Playlist! It's one of my favorites because, like you said, it portrays adults in their 30's/40's. I read some analysis on the lines/separations between the couples, but I gave up reading so much. It distracted me from simply enjoying the storytelling and how the characters interact. What's unique about the PD is that he lets the actors and actresses breathe and interact naturally. It may have helped that the 3 out of 4 actors + actress are musical actors + actress which are more aware of space (because they need to perform on stage). 

The space between actors and actresses in My Unfamiliar Family seems to be more directed and staged. For example, it was very specific in how the sisters interacted in the knife scene. Another example is the argument and the physical abuse between EunJoo and her husband. 

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the time being ?? I did not like this sentence of CH, so he wants to keep his distance from her, I have the impression that EH will become very jealous if CH and EJ get closer, on the other hand it seems that CH will finally realize his feelings for EH
  EH will probably have problems with the ex-fiancée
I am more and more invested with the history of the parents, it is refreshing to see them young or old or in love or unhappy, or exhausted so EH understood the secret of birth of his sister. it would finally be interesting to know the story of the father's second family and more that the title is unfamiliar familily, I imagine that EJ will want to know the family of her biological father

Watching subs right now ( i skip parents scene because i dont really follow it but i watch other scene )

1. CH and EJ first meeting is when he lose rock paper scissors and had to buy some ramyun. On the way there he look at one woman who is crying alone at the park. After he brought the ramyun she is still crying. And when she came back to the house she act like nothing happened. And CH saw it all for their first meeting. 

2. EJ drop CH in front of the office and JW Instead take the ride with sister to EH house because she didnt know where EH live. 

3. So SY said that she like CH so much because he is the only one to believe her when she said that she got ra**d by rich ex bf when nobody believe her because she got dumped. But ch also said that her mother also love her and want to protect her. And still another flirting from SY Lol. But CH goes a little bit aggresive and said that he wont work with her again if she keep doing that.

4. The one who saw EH and mr player kissing is JW and EJ. Not CH. Ch having meal with SY 

5. There is some talk between the 3 siblings.  After jw left first, EJ told EH thank you for lending her friend CH for her. EH seems a bit jealous(?) 

6. EH try to call CH but cant reach him and she message him to call her. JW ask CH is he ignoring EH call but ch said that does you think i can accept call in this situation ( he was preparing for a photoshoot ) and yeah both jw and sy looking at him because he seems upset. EH keep sending message to CH before her meeting too

7. EJ meet with barista had some talk. Talk about being gay and dont want to share it because people not trustworthy enough. And EJ said that do you think you guys the only victim?

8. Eunjoo had some job scouting offer from someone and when she ask if ej got offer from other people she said that dont go there there is gay. After getting the namecard eunjoo crush the namecard. After that we got scene of taehyung and his flashback with what he said to eunjoo. He want to call ej and ej want to call him. So TH call ej first. 

9. TH ask EJ to forget what he said before. He said that he think he tried to be mean before. EJ ask TH to come and end things ( shuting down the hospital and end things between them ) and ask to be just friend because he was the one who teach her about friend ( with some flashback ) after that EJ send a message to th. Saying that you carry my sadness on your back and ill carry your sadness on my back. 

*this is just my prediction but i think th wil redeem himself to ej and maybe they will make it work for the relationship what do you guys think? 

10. Dad is coming to eat together with the 3 siblings. Dad say that my eldest daughter had the same buds as me and also my eyes. Theres nothing that she cant do. Jw seems to a little bit flustered ( because he knew the truth ) while EH feels jealous about the eyes because she and jw had monolids while Dad and ej had double eyelids. So eh asking are we not dad kids? And jw said that he got double eyelids when he got tired but eh said that when have you ever got tired? Lol

Dad ask about TH going home tonight and this time EH got flustered lmaoo. There are more talk about dad dream ( you guys can check yourself for more detail )

11. Dad saying that he moved out to the kids. And all 3 looks depressed. Dad ask jw to take good care for mom and ask the girls to also do it. ( i dont watch previous scene between mom and dad so sorry i dont really know what happen before but it is really sad :( maybe if someone can give me a recap for mom and dad story would be good hehe 

12. Eh and mr player scene. Eh keep looking at her phone so mr player come with drink and ask her why she obsessed with looking at the phone. So she said that her friend is ignoring her call and text. Mr player said that means you did something wrong and should apologize to him. Eh dont feel like she did something worng and mr player said that you should meet him. 

After that he said counseling session is over,now i am a man. I dont want to be a jealous of a friend. So go to your friend to apologize and then come to me.

13. Jw come to the office and told CH about his dad graduating from marriage and about how they should ignore eunjoo secret. Dad gather them yesterday and he seems really fond for eunjoo ( well you guys can see yourself how dad seems to love eunjoo more than the other even though she wasnt his biological kids, make me sad to see it :( )

so these two guys make a conclusion to forget everything and said that maybe it was just misheard. And then JW ask why CH still ignoring eh call.

14. Next morning when they do a video for unboxing the coworker set up the camera for SY to unboxing and teach JW to use it properly. So the coworker ask jw hows sy looks and he unconciously said pretty and then get flustered. Lol. after that we got to see EH call CH again and he ignore it again. And then Eh call JW but he left his phone and CH saw it. And then he got a little bit upset so he go to buy sone lunch but in front of the office EH is waiting so he finally had a talk with her.

15. They talk about some deep stuff ( i cant really recap this because i am scared that it had mjstake but you guys should watch it yourself for the talk because they mention tired and friendship and more things )

one things for sure she said that she never wanted to cute ties with him and not to never see him again. And she said that she will always contact him and be a good friend to him. But CH said that for now lets not contacting each other for a while because she ask him to take care of eun joo and she seems to doenst want EH to know more. So he said until things goes well for EJ. So she said ok i wont contact you for a time being and ask him to take a good care for her sister.

well EH face doenst seems to be happy at all.

16. The scene where EH seems to realize something is not right between Dad first meeting mother and eunjoo birthday. 

Wow so eunjoo is 37 years old? She born on 13 june 1983

The last scene is mr player fiancee meeting EH and the end.

Damn even without mother father scene the recap is so freaking long lmao. 

11 hours ago, larus said:

I have not watched the episode yet but if Chan Hyeok wants to distance  himself a little from Eun Hee is a good sign. Why don`t you like it? That`s the first step for someone who start to realise his own feelings. That distance will make Eun Hee miss him much and eventually will lead for her realization. That`s a classic storyline. JMO. Nothing to worry about. If you want to see them as a couple, that`s how is going to be. You don`t expect to be a couple so soon and see them happy ever after for the rest of the episodes? Kdramas/movies don`t do that. 

Great.  I can`t wait to watch the episode. 

Maybe, but cause he is distancing himself for Eunjoo.... it makes me scared. But i agree, since they seem to be "pushing" EJ and CH time for now, it means they won't be end game. 

I guess Eunhee also needs to wake up herself. Like either realise she likes CHand end her 어장관리 (Leading people on - direct translation is managing a fishery but koreans use it as when you string people on) with Gun Joo.

So i guess like what you said it's a good sign. But i'm just scared cause if they start pushing EJ and CH together, and people start to like them, lol Kdrama writers change scripts according to what the audience likes. But im set on EH and CH already!

Aside from that, damn seems like EH willl find out about EJ's birth secrets, and have some moments with Gunjoo's ex. Today's ep will be another intense festival. Im really liking the relationship between EJ and TH though, and i really hope they can work it out as friends.

49 minutes ago, Redpinkboxes said:

Maybe, but cause he is distancing himself for Eunjoo.... it makes me scared. But i agree, since they seem to be "pushing" EJ and CH time for now, it means they won't be end game. 

I guess Eunhee also needs to wake up herself. Like either realise she likes CHand end her 어장관리 (Leading people on - direct translation is managing a fishery but koreans use it as when you string people on) with Gun Joo.

So i guess like what you said it's a good sign. But i'm just scared cause if they start pushing EJ and CH together, and people start to like them, lol Kdrama writers change scripts according to what the audience likes. But im set on EH and CH already!

Aside from that, damn seems like EH willl find out about EJ's birth secrets, and have some moments with Gunjoo's ex. Today's ep will be another intense festival. Im really liking the relationship between EJ and TH though, and i really hope they can work it out as friends.

Take with lot of salts but i believe EJ wont be with CH. 

First because of her marriage that still need to get resolved.

Second it because EJ knows EH has some feelings for CH and vice versa. 

Third i think she want to help EH to make her realize her own feeling. 

And lastly because i see TH and EJ seems to want to work with their relationship. And we can see from today episode how TH seems regretful to hurt her and cry in their conversation via phone

The secret weapon is SY lol i dont know that she like CH too but it is obvious that she will end up with JW haha

“My Unfamiliar Family” And “Dinner Mate” See Boosts In Viewership Ratings

Jun 23, 2020
by R. Jun
8c458eab73e14cd499c99482fe6aa93e.jpeg?s=

tvN’s “My Unfamiliar Family” and MBC’s “Dinner Mate” saw boosts in ratings on June 22.

According to Nielsen Korea, “My Unfamiliar Family” recorded averages of 3.6 and 5.3 percent viewership on Monday, for a significant 1.2 point boost from the previous episode.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1408481wpp/my-unfamiliar-family-and-dinner-mate-see-boosts-in-viewership-ratings

Quick thoughts on today's episode

I think they're trying to portray the discrimination towards gay people.

EJ encountered a person who told her not to go to this firm because the partner/employee is gay.

Also, it also raises the stigma towards mental illness.

1) The mom probably is dealing with something we don't even know.

2) The dad has depression and may have died by suicide.* The possibility that he was going to die by suicide is taken too lightly by the family members and needs to addressed in a healthy way.

*Choice of language. Committed suicide has a negative connotation and hence the psychologists have argued to use the term "died by suicide".  It is official to use "died by suicide" 

Peeking in here to spoil myself. 

Confession: I am 2.5 episodes behind. 

As much as I love this show, it is just a tad bit too heavy for me to watch after a long day of work (and subs not fast enough. Not whining about that. People do that for free. It just doesnt work for my schedule).   

I wanted English programming this weekend so I'm even more behind. (Only allowing myself to rewatch x infinity of another k drama I'm also watch cos I have issues.) 

Plan is to get caught up by Friday. Ha. If only I'm this goal oriented irl. 

Looking forward to my EH CH feels! 

After today episode...I have too say I am liking more the older sister. Yes she is cold and to direct most of the time. But she is no mean, she has work so hard on life, and probably would continue too. But the middle sister I really can not understand her actions, after been true a cheating herself she really should have value her own persona more and ask for more time to even think or beging a relationship with the boss. She has been on the other side and of things are not correct or even from the star must probably would end badly. 

18 minutes ago, roli said:

After today episode...I have too say I am liking more the older sister. Yes she is cold and to direct most of the time. But she is no mean, she has work so hard on life, and probably would continue too. But the middle sister I really can not understand her actions, after been true a cheating herself she really should have value her own persona more and ask for more time to even think or beging a relationship with the boss. She has been on the other side and of things are not correct or even from the star must probably would end badly. 

Yep eun hee need a lot of work to do to sort her feeling for both Mr player and CH. 

Right now she is in the point where she is the cheater and also make her friendship in shamble. 

I dont know whether in the preview SY will make EH jealous but i hope it will be a wake up call for her to make her mind. Obviously the meeting with the fiancee will also help her to get hold of herself and really understand what she want and deserve

@Samuel Yohanes You are a star pointing out all the important going one except for the parents scenes in this last episode. Very intense. :Megathanks:

@ponderings Oh cool I love the Tablo Podcast & I am a little behind. (Love him & Epik High too!) Please do share with us when you can your thoughts. :hypehype: I agree the writer nim is showing us more thoughts by character’s on gays and mental illness. I liked how EJ did not care for her acquaintance side comment of the partner being flagrantly gay based on his wardrobe choice in a derisive tone. I agree with EJ, I wouldn’t want to work with someone that distasteful and judgmental too.

@Redpinkboxes concur EH needs to wake up. Seems like after CH chat while in his lunch errand with EH gave her food for thought. 

Good CH is distancing himself from her . In the preview, seems writer nim showing more how CH cares about EH. Granted in this episode he mentioned not wanting to invest much time in this frivolous friendship after they hadn’t talked in five years. Fair and EH just went to accept him back so easily & started to overshare about her affair with Mr Player. But EH does care a lot for EH that she responded saying you are someone I won’t drop again like before. I want to call you my friend for a long time. Such a proposal (so when the finally get together this will be more poignant).

When EH didn’t want CH to see her with Mr player, we were trolled as mentioned before the person getting out of the car was actually JW not CH with EJ. Not surprised. :w00t:

Dang on the darkness for SY with her ex and being raped. Yikes I cannot blame her liking CH as he believed in her when even her own mom didn’t as well as the rest of the world. Clearly shows to us , CH can clearly reject someone when he needs to as he cut her off saying then we will stop working together (to finally have her stop).

Seeing JW call SY pretty (without wearing makeup ) without a thought it just came out even shocked the other guy but SY took it in stride. Yeah def loveline opening up now after CH prior tried to push them together to hang out. :fingerheartx:

Puppy JW with CH hyung, glad he nipped in bud to wait until EJ wants to tell him. I agree it is not CH’s story to say. Plus the two of them thinking he must of overheard wrong about EJ true parentage. JW at the sibs dinner with dad at EJ home noted dad happily saying things how EJ is like him and adoringly caring for her. With the hint by EJ chatting with mom of dad coming to talk to her, turns out as others guessed EJ knows . 

EJ pressing mom why she is cold to her and dad. I found it sad but truthful that mom said words are just meaningless and empty after feeling shame and sorry to her. She should be carefree and enjoying life not working hard as a sub teacher. This period EJ resented the family (though dutiful) and makes sense she wanted to escape with TH.:crybaby:

As figured out, dad had another family . Wow mom had EJ to help but half a paycheck to raise three kids , no wonder she had it tough. Dad also checked out early and mom did too. She persevered for the family. Now all are grown she is going to get her life back. Interesting she lied never writing that note for his lunch. She wrote it but he found it/ she didn’t put with his lunch. Sad his 22 self changed a lot .

I feel EH will have to grow up and realize her feelings are deeper for CH as alluded to her not wanting CH to see her with Mr Player. Def felt discomfort from her when EJ thanked her for lending CH to her. 

I was glad TH apologized. Words hurt and cannot be taken back. But the saying of the meaning of friends for one Native Indian tribe was very telling . EJ wanted clear closure and agreeing to be friends based on their definition is so meaningful . 

This next episode is going to be another doozy. Why is Mr Players ex giving advice to EH on what to wear and other stuff? EJ tells mom she knows dad isn’t her biological one? EH based at the end pieces together EJ is not daddy’s girl. She won’t talk to JW and CH won’t talk to her for the time being. Is she going to tell Mr Player I doubt it. She won’t ask mom. It’s going to be a conundrum for her. :eating:

First, Eun-Joo. Ah, you complicated creature. I was not a fan of how cold and contemptuous she is, but I understand her better now. I'm glad that she also understands her husband better, and even got a cold blast of *reality* about how homophobic Korean society is, and got a clue about how much her husband suffered. That doesn't make what he did cool, and she deserves a real relationship. But she understands better what he is to her, and what they did have together.

Loved how after seeing Eun-Hee kiss her boss, she immediately lectured her about it. Girl, you just found out your husband is gay literally yesterday. Maybe not lecture people about their relationships for a while?

Oh, Eun-Hee... you difficult and lovable creature. Loved the reveal that she thought she saw Chan-Hyeok instead of Ji-Su after she kissed Mr. Playboy. Kind of loved how stricken she looked after Eun-Joo told her, "You lent me your friend Chan-Hyeok, so I will happily use him."

Work it out, you two!

I think that's it for my thoughts except that I actually don't think the Dad really had a second family. It's a spectacular feint and misunderstanding. Just my guess.

I will read everyone comments after I will share my thoughts after watching the episode 7.

Again, a very good episode. It was emotional for me. I don`t think I cried as much watching an episode.

I see how little by little this family come together more because this time they are talking with each other. Not just talking but discover things about each other.

My favorite moments.

When finally Jin Sook told her husband what she harbored in her heart all those years. She resented Sang Shik that he had the other family and it was hard for her to raise three children almost by herself with half his earning. She should have said it long time ago but it is better that she cleared the air between them now. I don`t know why Sang Shik had the other family but I reserve my judgement from when I will find out the whole story. I really understand why she felt resentment for all those years but I don`t hate Sang Shik. I feel like I will understand his story even if he did something wrong. He doesn`t seem to be the man who looks for other women`s company (like I said in early comment from my observation) so if he indeed cheat it was just a mistake. He really loves Jin Sook and he did not leave his family (even if we saw it was not easy for both of them in the marriage) but he took responsability. The other child was not at fault.  Something was telling me  that it might be something else and from today episode I think it could be plausible. We find out that Sang Sik had an accident in the past.  What if Sang Sik was in another accident with the biological father of Young Shik and that man died? He felt guilty and start to help the other family? It sound like Young Shik was named after Sang Shik  and he tells him father but we don`t know the whole story yet. Just a thought. I am sure we will know soon. 

I cried when Sang Shik left the house. We know that he did not really regain his memories.

Another scene that made me cry was when Eun Joo was talking on the phone with her husband. I am glad that Eun Joo decided to remain friends with Tae Hyeong. He is not a bad man and I am glad that he appologized for the harsh words that were used to hurt each other. It is not easy to heal the wounds but I am happy they will try to be friends. Eun Joo telling him that he is the one who talked her the meaning of the word 'friend", her words "You`ll carry my sadness on your back and I`ll carry your sadness" made me emotional.

Another heartwarming scene was the dinner between Sang Shik and his children, where he announced that he moved from the house. We found out that he had a dream (never told anyone): competing at the Colleage Music Festival.  He even tought about Jin Sook who must be eating alone. I like this Sang shik.

Speaking at Jin Sook, she remembered what she wrote a love note but she never gave it to Sang shik. He still has the note till today. And he wants the picture. Eun hee will realise the hidden truth by herself in the next episode.

The scene between Eun joo and her mother. I am glad she asked her why she never gave her a feed back for the hard work she did. Jin Sook is not the person who speaks a lot and keeps her feeling inside. It is good that she told Eun joo what she really felt.

We find out how Chan Hyeok met the first time Eun joo. I laughed when he lost the game (rock paper scissor) and he complained that he always is loosing and asked if they are in a relatiosnhip and completed together. :D

Cute moment when Ji Woo told Seo young that she is pretty without makeup. We find out about her back story. Ji Woo and Seo young are cute together. I laughed when Ji woo tried to say that he has double eyelids too when he is tired and his sister asked him: "When have you ever get tired? "  :lol:

Last and not least, I felt bad that Chan hyeok wanted to distance himself a little from Eun Hee but I understand him. He used her older sister to tell her that they need to chill for a while but it was not that. He was hurt too when Eun hee cut him from her life and I was happy that she reasured him that she wants him in her life forever. He needs time to know what he wants.  He must be confused of his feelings. I think Chang Hyeok will be together with Eun hee but I don`t care about who is ending up with who debate. I said it to Hospital Playlist as well. I don`t really care shipping a couple. I support the characters` decision. When I like all the characters, what I want to see is their journey, their dynamic, how they feel. I enjoy the ride whatever the writer decided to take me.

Chan Hyeok is like a part of the family. We will discover things about him like we find out about the other family members. All I want is for them to be happy, smiling together.

Spoiler

EDbW5c.jpg?v=1

Another crazy ep.

SPOILER ALERT - EP 8

Chanhyuk pretty much admitted to Seoyoung he liked eunhee (Past tense)... but then when she called it out, he twisted his words saying he liked her as a friend.

So.. im guessing he liked both Eunjoo and Eunhee before? or Eunjoo was more of a crush, but Eunhee was a genuine like, but couldn't break the bro code with Jongmin, so he never went for her?

Loved the convo between Jiwoo and Eunhee though. Jiwoo was asking about her and Chan Hyuk, telling Eunhee not to cross the line with Chanhyuk.. He questioned their relationship saying its weird how he just ignored her completely yesterday. Either way, he told her to not cross the line as she rocked up to their office, not respecting any space and treating it... not as an office. And the fact, she ended the friendship her way, and restarted their friendship her way, all on her terms, it wasn't fair to CH. And because he cared about CH as a real brother.. And she decided to listen to her baby brother, giving her advice for the first time. So when she dropped Jiwoo over at his office, she barely said hi and ran off.. and that made CH... call her YAYYYY.

Taehyung and Eunjoo this ep --> so much to say.

I was really loving the idea of Eunjoo and Taehyung being friends, especially when TH said a long time ago, that she is his "friend". An important friend. However, i forgot that it was hard for Eunjoo.. Because Eunjoo liked him. Genuinely.

So this ep, even though TH was trying hard to be a friend, Eunjoo told him that he is becoming a burden to her, because she likes him. She slowly liked him over the years... and thats why she worked so hard to make this work. And the way she said how this was the saddest/most depressing confession...

Another thing that shocked me...! Dad made a savings and saved money for Eunjoo over the years... Wow, he really overcompensated and loved eunjoo dearly since shes not his daughter.

Also Eunhee finally confronted mum about Eunjoos birth... and Dad gets back his actual memory. It was triggered by him thinking of Eunjoo's real dad going for Eunjoo's wedding (not sure if this is a real or fake memory).

Next ep preview sounds like our couple EH and CH will take another step forward in their friendship/realisation.. NOW HOW AM I GONNA WAIT A WEEK!

59 minutes ago, Samuel Yohanes said:

EP 9 PREVIEW.

SOMETHING BIG GONNA HAPPEN SOON!

Will this be the start of eun hee and chan hyuk??? Or will we got trolled again like ep 6 ending ??? 

I can't wait!

EH: Chanhyuk... I really hate myself.
TH: Since i got a confession from you, I should give you an answer.

JS: How did you know about this place and come here?

SS: There was a time where (NOT sure what he said) to you.

EH to GJ: Is this dating to you?

CH: I really like this characteristic of you. So I'm going to see you/meet you. (Meeting is very vague in korean, can mean just casually meeting, to dating  *PLS* Dayum i'm swooning over this line - Please make sure they aren't misleading me and this is about EH) 

JS: I have something to say about your dad.

EH: Eunjoo is my older sister, and i am her younger sister.

EJ: Why would i be curious about someone who was never by my side all my life?

EUNHEEEEE AND CHAN HYUK dayum i can't wait a week!

@Redpinkboxes omo Thanks for the episode highlights, as no one really recaps this drama this fast , you are an angel! Ooh I see you posted subs for next episode preview now! :Megathanks:

This family has me so emotional too. Love them ! :heart4:
@chickfactor I am liking EJ more too as her character is very interesting to me as I am personally not that way. But I did appreciate after that chance encounter with old colleague too and her harsh words on gays. Loved she crumpled that woman's biz card. Yes, I couldn't stomach her words either.  She covers up her warm heart to protect herself from being hurt. 

@larus I agree the reveal finally to hear mom’s true thoughts with dad and EJ. Poor mom holding it in ALL these years. Must be freeing. I want her to find happiness for herself. Heck I want all to find their happiness.:happy:

ooh EH listening to maknae JW regards to CH? So not surprised EJ on a pedestal and EH more realistic crush as they were comfortable. Yeah I would be hurt to be dropped 5 yrs with nothing after being so close. Plus she said she was more hurt about him than her ex cheating on her. More emotional investment with CH and care. When ep9 , CH needing space understood here didn’t want to be dropped like a hot potato again. Hey he was avoiding EH and she took Mr Players advice to confront him head on. Then now in this episode she takes JW advice to give space she barely says anything to CH after dropping off JW. Oh my! One thing avoiding calls and texts but another not even saying hi to old friend even in passing. Ooh.:eating:

2 hours ago, Samuel Yohanes said:

EP 9 PREVIEW.

SOMETHING BIG GONNA HAPPEN SOON!

Will this be the start of eun hee and chan hyuk??? Or will we got trolled again like ep 6 ending ??? 

Maybe she only called her trash shoulder's friend for cry over him or tell him about her sadness or frustration with her boyfriend. <_<<_<

Archived