[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

Second half

Like i said Sae roi doesn't know the art of being subtle. He won't sugarcoat it but say the clear thing. Yiseo- Do you like me? Sae royi-  I love you! He doesn't need guts because he says whatever is in his mind ... No wonder she felt for him!

Granny just love her. She is ultimate business women and showed Mr. Jang his place. The way he treat others, he is getting treated by his superior in same way when hard time came.  How the mighty has fallen that he is begging to her? She gave him middle finger like a true boss!

Thanks goodness, Sae royi didn't act sacrificial when mr. Jang begged kneeling infront of him. I was thinking he will go that route but no, he acted like a smart businessman who want to take over rival company. It is too late to apologise mr. Jang. There is time for everything,. An apology after that time has passed means nothing and Sae royi isn't doing charity! Loved his speech too!

Geun soo is example of that there is no perfect human. He did make some wrong choices, but he was never a bad human. We make mistakes and learn. He did use tricks for his own business and benefit. Nothing wrong with it but i was not happy with his holier than thou attitude but finally he acts better now. Sae royi knew it and forgave him, and let it go!

Soo Ah finally redeemed herself. She was a orphan who looked for better opportunities in her life. She wanted security in her life. It is easy to judge her for her choices and i might never find her good, but her situations were different. Orphans are not trated greatly in real world and which orphan will lose chance to make better life? Thoguh at some point she was hypocritical, but in the end she did right. Finally she thought about Sae royi happiness, which warmed my heart. Though there is still sexual tension , and even if she said we are friends, i feel like their relation is very formal now and i feel it is better for both parties, especially SooAh to move on!

Loved Geun soo asked for forgiveness which set him apart from his father and bro.  Hyeon hi has right not to forgive but still she forgave

And loved Yiseo admitting her mistake using him for advantage and knew he wanted to be successful because she was the driving force which led him to make wrong choices. That hug and apology will finally make him move on. 

Lol park bo gum and nara looks so good together and surely he looked stunning, so does Nara. Jeez cast them in drama please! Also Lol Yiseo still trying to setting scores with Soo Ah. She will always be like that and we love that about her!

Seung kwon and Hyeon yi always had the chemistry but finally they are realizing it. They don't need to express it but their actions speak volumes. These 2 characters really uplifted the drama with leads and IC really did casting well!

Yiseo's final words is what he wanted to hear all these years. Both faced cold reactions from society but provided each other with warmth. He treated her like normal human and she treated him with the love he craved for all these years.

Just loved the hand pulling scene under the table and the final kissing scene. He is no more hesitant to express his love for her and loved they Played V's ost in the end!

Anyways i have realy good time here with people who all are great writers. and i am sorry for my bad english but i hope i made some contribution to this thread . Stay safe and healthy and like IC storyline, we all will rise again  in next few months. Keep washing your hands, wear mask and use sanitizers.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Hello to everyone,

It's been an eternity since I last came to Soompi Forums. Itaewon Class make me do it because I can't stay silent after this drama.

It's been so long since I have this hooked to a drama. I loved the characters, their evolution. It felt like they were my friends and, saying goodbye earlier, was sad. I cried badly.

I'm happy with the end. Every story was wraped up nicely.

I discovered Kim Dami whom I didn't know and I rediscovered Park Seo Joon. I've seen most of his work but this is the first time I was so touched. I knew he was good but not this good. I will follow them both with more attention from now on.

It's hard to put words on my feelings for this drama. I loved the story, I loved the characters.

I have to rewatch the last episode with subs because I streamed it live. It was lagging and I didn't understand everything. But, in the same time, I don't want to watch it because it will really be the last time...

I'm late here since I came only after the end, but I'm happy to express my feelings about the drama!

• Like 7

Aww~ I'm goin' to miss the DanBam Team..:tears:

I really feel for Geun Soo.. I do..:( why do all K-Drama characters run off to US LoL?! And Yi Seo ahahah she left Geun Soo to deal with the thugs WTF LMFAo??!! Brutal.:P

So glad Soo Ah got Bo Gum! Felt bad for hatin' on her.. I like her character development but it happened a bit too late imo. Tony look real nice in his new style makeover. Love his song at the end too. 

I think I'm goin' to stop callin' Oppa now & just start yellin' Daepyo-nimmmmmmmmm from now on eheheh. Well bye-bye y'all it was fun. My country's in midst of the covid-19 lockdown rn, with 9 days left to quarantine/house arrest.. wishin' wherever ya are in the world to hang in there. This too shall pass. Until then be well & stay safe! Take care xoxox.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, x75274 said:

Stupid and lame. Old man Jang would start wailing like a little girl and beg for forgiveness. A guy super proud like that to his sworn enemy? Make it realistic please. A guy like that should be depicted as going down on his shield, not begging for mercy like a little schoolgirl. Ridiculous to make the main villain go from a tough ruthless killer type to a little effeminate girl. The lower half of KDM's face.....ugh....not to mention the top half isnt that great either.

Dude stop acting so sexist.  You are one of those edgy ones who want to look cool on internet. I was too once upon a time but now i find it hilarious. You love to get reactions. So childish

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 3

Dont want to join the positivity circlejerk going on around here but what would have this better is kill off one of the 2 leads, have the old man go down on his shield and JGS takes over Jangga while destroying OSA. My ending would be far better.

Well, so this is the end. I didn't know about this thread before so unfortunately I didn't spend time discussing the drama with you guys.  But this drama was so perfect. I don't even have words to express it. 

I want to thank JTBC and all the cast for their wonderful job, the writer too, he was the creator of this beautiful and inspiring story. What a ride, right?

I just have to say, PSJ and KDM, without them I don't know if it would be the same.

I'm in love with this drama and I will watch it many times, I'm sure. :heart::dissapointed_relieved:

• Like 2
  • Love 3

16 minutes ago, Annie12 said:
  Hide contents

Yeah!!! PSJ is the king of kiss!:D:D

What's funny is that his character SaeRoYi has been single all of his life but he's so good at kissing because of PSJ haha.

I'm really gonna miss this drama and will be waiting for PSJ and KDM next drama. It was good reading everyone's comments! :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, Aliceson Choe said:

What's funny is that his character SaeRoYi has been single all of his life but he's so good at kissing because of PSJ haha.

I'm really gonna miss this drama and will be waiting for PSJ and KDM next drama. It was good reading everyone's comments! :D

I need PSJ and KDM in another drama asap. Lol:lol:

@x75274

Well, it's good you are not the writer then because this endind would be so bad. Lol

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1

19 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

I love the moment SK acting cool in front of those gangsters. When he returned all those SR's words for him to them is just so touching. I love this part really. He is not that same person as they can easily treat like a trash now. Cause he already changed his life by taking a right path now. Such a poignant moral lesson we can get.

I agree! I love that scene because it shows that SK truly believes in SR's words and lives a life in that he trusts people. He called the police and even allowed the gangsters to punch him! oh his character never fails in bringing humor. 

Which leads me to discuss about the controversial scene...Well, first of all, I am surprised that it was deemed controversial. I was slightly surprised that SR knelt down, but I see that he values people. He is still the same SR with the beliefs and principles that do not cultivate power and fear. And when Jang comes over, SR stands back up. SR is set on saving YiSeo, his love, future and happiness. 

When this drama started, I heard about the buzz, but was afraid to start it. I grew up watching Cantonese dramas that were mainly revenge dramas. Initially I loved the up and down feelings of following the characters' path, but, as I started getting older, I realized that these characters lost themselves in their path of revenge. I'm glad I picked up Itaewon Class because it is more than revenge. It is about the love, the light and the power of one that can empower others. 

The scenes between SR and his father was poignant. The chemistry between them is amazing. And when their eyes get teary, I'm like :bawling:  I commend Park Seo Joon's acting because in a slight moment, he looks like a kid in front of dad, and then the next he looks like an adult. There is so much vulnerability and strength in that one scene. On the other hand, the actor for the father, Son Hyun Joo, the ahjusshi vibes are strong. His poignant and touching acting gets to me!!  

And the last scene was amazing. No words. Just Park Seo Joon smiling to the camera, telling us that the soju was sweet. a sweet night, indeed. danbam

• Like 4

Goodbye IC.. 

It's been an exciting 2 months i spent my weekends with you, and 5 months i start following about this drama in this thread and finally meet you guys and it's so entertaining reading all the opinions and comments here :D

Kudos to Gwangjin for creating such unique and unusual characters that i have never seen in any drama before. There's no Itaewon Class without him. Also to director for top notch directing and cinematography. To production team or whoever chose these amazing cast line up for bringing those characters into life. Especially my ultimate bias Park Seojun, perfect actor to portray Park Saeroy (at least in my eyes;)), i just can't imagine Park Saeroy if it's not him. The same thing as Kim Dami, can't imagine Jo Yiseo if it's not her. Because of this drama i found another talented young actress and definitely will look forward to her next projects. And other great and telented casts that are no less amazing in portraying the characters, my favorites among all are Lee Jooyoung and Ahn Bohyun. 

Maybe this is not a perfect drama in many ways for some people but to me it is freaking good and one of the most memorable dramas i've ever watched and there is absolutely no regrets. I think everyone who loves k-drama should definitely watch it.

aboutpsj-20200322-0002.jpg

And finally..goodbye Park Saeroy and Jo Yiseo. Have a sweet nights for the rest of your life :heart:

Love their happy ending moments :wub:

Now tell me how to survive with this emptiness :tears:

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Love 10

Ep. Original broadcast date Average audience share
AGB Nielsen[51]
Nationwide Seoul
1 January 31, 2020 4.983% 5.283%
2 February 1, 2020 5.330% 5.634%
3 February 7, 2020 8.013% 8.253%
4 February 8, 2020 9.382% 10.692%
5 February 14, 2020 10.716% 11.986%
6 February 15, 2020 11.608% 12.636%
7 February 21, 2020 12.289% 13.215%
8 February 22, 2020 12.562% 13.990%
9 February 28, 2020 13.965% 14.903%
10 February 29, 2020 14.760% 16.160%
11 March 6, 2020 13.798% 15.496%
12 March 7, 2020 13.398% 14.817%
13 March 13, 2020 13.101% 14.344%
14 March 14, 2020 14.197% 15.568%
15 March 20, 2020 14.661% 16.012%
16 March 21, 2020 16.548% 18.328%

So total rating for whole season is 189.311%

Average is 11.8319%

Second highest jtbc drama in average as well as peak ratings!

Sixth highest cable drama in average as well as peak ratings!

It might not touched sky castle or cloy but it came near goblin, mr sunshine, reply and it's average is just 0.7 % short of sky castle. That shows how big this drama is!

With this IC has become massive success!

Happy for whole team!

For 12 episodes we touched double digit regularly! That is massive consistency!

Park seo joon's biggest drama as lead whereas Kim dami successful debut in drama land. Hope both as well as supporting cast win awards! They have both acclaim as well as rating!

• Like 11
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/20/2020 at 4:49 PM, Kimsungrin said:

Right, while watching his blurry memory of YS's confession and him not mentioning her, having his head ache and all i was like: oh no! Dont tell me they are going to play the amnesia card...and then i was like, well maybe he will remember her at the end of this dream. But turns out he didnt forget her lol, just couldnt mention her at first for some reason (didnt know what to call her/in what category to put her, or maybe it was too painful) but then mustered the courage and said to his dad: I am not going with you. I have a date.

Excuse me as i have to cry again thinking about this scene, i think i didnt cry enough the first time lol

I was also scared they were going to play the amnesia card. I hate when they did that. 
 Everyone we were finally able to see the scene when JYS told PSR that was LIFE WAS SO TIRING. This scene was so powerful because we were able to see her reaction to his answers. Her reaction was so different to what her reaction was with the psychiatrist. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

I don't have much time to spare to gush. Just wanted to say this has been a very good series. Consistent to the very end. 

3 scenes stood out and made me react with either a laugh or a snort. It's not that the other scenes were not important just that it made me react. And I compare it to other scenes in dramas to say that is so appropriate and with such good timing.

1. The hospital scene with the mother. I repeated it a few times and just laughed. I was insulted on his behalf, then just snort- laugh at the turnaround with just one word

" responsible." It went from that to mother to the declaration which embarrassed him. Oh man. It was so funny and so on point.  Just a slight note that subs suck slightly today and the cultural significance totally lost if you didn't get the whole conversation tone switches.

2. The YS and SA scene in her new restaurant. Blunt Yiseo not boasting but more of her flat out winners declaration that she got the guy thanks. I flat out laughed at the delivery. Hyun-yi wincing just made me laugh even more.

3. Park Bogum. No 1 the PD purposely backlit him. And I laughed so much that he was playing an earnest, innocent, uncertain chef. And Soo- ah's reaction to his looks. It's obviously playing up his looks but it's rare that I see him playing a young uncertain persona. That was truly heart stopping. My heart that is fluttered as well. Hahaha. 

Good drama. But I have a busy day ahead so cannot comment on the series. Just that these 3 scenes stood out. As that the final wall scene between SRY and YS. Park SRY stayed consistent to the end. And lordie seeing his flat out " I love you " from the hospital bed. Then his totally befuddled mortified face that those words even came out of his mouth makes me laugh just remembering it. PSJ is a good actor.

Subtle. The PD and writer has been really subtle. There was such underlying meanings behind each scene or line. Yes Saeroyi, your soju finally tastes sweet.

Enjoy your analysis everyone. See you in another drama somewhere.

Addit- I backtracked comments and don't want to tag the person as I remember their views on other posts. I think this drama genre does not follow the drama trajectory if we go off and kill anyone like a typical drama. I thought this drama wasn't based on a traditional drama format but from a webtoon. Which reader wants to read that sort of thing? And I don't think Chairman Jang was sincerely remorseful in his kneeling. I think he wanted to make PSRY weaken then extract a deal or a pity me give me some face keep the name of the company. Or make himself as if he was someone that Park SRY considered a worthy opponent to consider his kneeling. But Park SRY didn't consider Chairman Jang important enough to consider his personal feelings. It was to contrast the motives and then how the kneeling was received differently based on the villain and the hero's convictions.

I don't think it should be considered in the typical villain kneeling down getting forgiven sort of mindset. 

Besides this isn't the first time sexist comments based on gender or looks have been used by this poster. I have read negative comments on other dramas before and tried to respect or understood how the other opinion would swing that way. However I also recognise when there is no point in responding. So this is not in response to defend the drama or to criticize; with some people there is no point in engaging in a conversation with them. And I am saying this for life in general. There are times when it's not worth arguing and this is only a drama. I will only argue when a life is at stake or potential life threatening issue occurring. 

What I am commenting on specifically is that if I had more time to write eloquently  I would say that the writer purposely juxtaposed the 2 kneeling scenes to highlight what Saeroyi is and what Chairman Jang is. Same action. 2 motives. And 2 totally different results.

One achieved the final goal because he knew his priorities and he learnt from kneeling down that Chairman Jang wasn't worth poisoning his life with. And the other did it with another motive to want to make himself or give himself value for his kneeling. To gain an advantage over Park SRY. To the end he wanted to have some power. Being ignored showed he became the weak. He was crying because he realized that when SRY walked off. Not because he was remorseful for his actions.

Like I said I have no time to really think of the motives. But yeah, the villain was not just doing the normal kneeling forgive me scene. And geez don't bring the actor's looks into it. And I don't call anyone effeminate. That means I think a male has no right to behave the way he wants or he behaves. That's calling out someone and discrimination. I am not PC all the time but I respect the individual. Respect that the actor can act and he did. And if everyone only valued certain looks and harp on it and comment online negatively- don't we then contribute to the bashing about good looks being the standard?

And oh yes I won't bash children's behaviour or look down on how they behave. And also- I do read sci fiction/ fantasy/ military fiction etc- Chairman Jang is not a knight he was a bully. A bully runs, connives, cheats, lies, is a coward and does not have morals. Why the heck should he go down on his shield? It doesn't suit his personality. It certainly wouldn't suit any of the cowards written in those novels. Or movies. He was a schemer and a snake to the very end.

Sorry now I am late just because I commented on the scene. Just that the tone of the post is not  on scenes which anyone can dislike but that name calling was used instead. We are used to people loving some scenes and hating some scenes. But why the vitriol?

Anyway I probably won't be bothered to comment further on this drama. Will just say will recommend this drama to anyone if asked for recommendations in the future.

• Like 11

It always feel strange in kdramaland to see the ending to be bittersweet. Yes, all received closure. But I thought it was endearing to see a group of misfits together. I know that there is too much bad blood to reconcile, but without JGS and OSA in the group I feel that there is a certain distance between the viewer and the characters. PSRY, JYS, CSK, MHY, and Toni became too corporate-y to my taste. I miss the innocence of PSRY, his stubborness and his kindheartedness. I hoped that PSRY would grant the chairman his last wish, not necessarily because he deserved his mercy but because PSRY always had a big and forgiving personality. But ending it with that he is merely doing his thang as a businessman feels un-SRY to me. The chairman is dying of cancer and the company is going bankrupt anyways, just let it die off. There is no need to go full vulture mode and pick every piece of the corpse.

It is also weak sauce of the chairman to resort to begging. A man with his principle should jump from Jangga's building to adhere to his motto that no-one can punish him except for himself.

As said earlier, Itaewon Class lost Itaewon and became more and more Yeouido Class. I liked PSJ's other misfit drama much better (Fight For My Way), but thanks for the first ten episodes which were seriously good!

17 minutes ago, Broaddaylight said:

It always feel strange in kdramaland to see the ending to be bittersweet. Yes, all received closure. But I thought it was endearing to see a group of misfits together. I know that there is too much bad blood to reconcile, but without JGS and OSA in the group I feel that there is a certain distance between the viewer and the characters. PSRY, JYS, CSK, MHY, and Toni became too corporate-y to my taste. I miss the innocence of PSRY, his stubborness and his kindheartedness. I hoped that PSRY would grant the chairman his last wish, not necessarily because he deserved his mercy but because PSRY always had a big and forgiving personality. But ending it with that he is merely doing his thang as a businessman feels un-SRY to me. The chairman is dying of cancer and the company is going bankrupt anyways, just let it die off. There is no need to go full vulture mode and pick every piece of the corpse.

It is also weak sauce of the chairman to resort to begging. A man with his principle should jump from Jangga's building to adhere to his motto that no-one can punish him except for himself.

As said earlier, Itaewon Class lost Itaewon and became more and more Yeouido Class. I liked PSJ's other misfit drama much better (Fight For My Way), but thanks for the first ten episodes which were seriously good!

Weak sauce indeed of the Chairman and completely unrealistic given what we know of his character. Terrible closure by the writer on that part just to let PSR get the "win." Terrible closure in general like JGW and LHJ - that lame useless dork with zero backbone wants to NOW get his rub in too...what a wimp - no wonder his character was bullied in school.

@Broaddaylight Your opinion sometimes all over the place. Frankly, I think you don’t even know yourself, what you really wanted from the story. You backtrack whenever I make a point, which doesn’t make your arguments convincing in my eyes, when I do try understand your point of view. It’s like “if not the way I personally want and expect, I will not even try to understand”. Then what the point to keep watching? I usually drop the shows, that I stop understanding. But I do understand the need to finish something that you started. I just hope you didn’t try to pass your opinion as a “right one”. 

As for Hyun Yi and Tony, they got their limelight. And Seung Kwon definitely didn’t get more attention that Hyuk Yi in any way to think, that writer played safe. Hyun Yi actually got more and risker attention with declaring who she is. She got her closure in ep. 12-13, while CSK in ep 16. That’s it. And Tony was from the start “requiring” character, not secondary. He had enough to do and was enjoyable addition, but pushing him more forward especially with inexperienced actor in helm not something necessarily important to whole story. He had history, conflict, aim and resolution. That’s enough for character like him. 

As for “Itaewon Class”, they started in Itaewon, but it doesn’t mean that they should stay there. It’s their company name. And their focus was not small street, but building whole corporation. Itaewon is a metaphora for freedom. Freedom came with a price, but they are free from their past labels, that society put on them. 

And brute fight was there to come as full circle. Anger is not an answer. That’s why JGW repeated over and over again “die, die, die”, just like Park Sae Roy once did. It started with a fight, that put Park Sae Roy under the bars. It ended with a fight, that put Jang Gun Win under the bars.

They went to buy a time to make sure Jo Yi Seo and Jang Gun Soo are safe. Guys called police.

I’m glad he didn’t forgive. That’s very much in Park Sae Roy’s character. Forgiving, kind and understanding who show him same thing and ruthless to people who wrong him. Forgiving Jang Dong Hee would mean, that old man never face actual consequences of his actions. Park Sae Roy didn’t forgive policeman, that wronged him and demanded him to surrender. I’m not sure why he should act like Ghandy with Chairman. Especially considering that Jang Dong Hee actually tried to play on Park Sae Roy’s feeling thinking exactly like you do. That he is “forgiving and merciful”. There is a time for everything. But today is not that kind of day.

And Fight For My Way is not a story about misfits. None of characters in FFMW considered as society misfits. If you think it’s story about misfits, sorry, then you vastly misunderstood another drama too.

• Like 6
  • Off-Topic 1
  • Awesome 4