[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

19 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

If there is anyone I think of Song-hwa's soulmate that would be Jun-wan. 

I think now that I was right to feel uncomfortable in Episode 11. After the rewatch, it's clear to me that was the entire point of putting her right in the middle of Chi-hong and Ik-jun. Her discomfiture was exactly the point. She does not see herself as the central object of romance. She wants to be there for her friends and her students as teacher and confidant... but not as a lover.

Sorry to cut your post. I have the same idea but dont know how to express it. Totally love your points. 

There's totally comfort and understanding between Song Hwa and Jun Wan, the vibe of them like soul-mate shows from the start episodes. There kind of conversations and actions together I can feel the strong relationship and understanding. Given if it is Jeong Won or Seok Hyung seeing Dr Jang in the elevator with another girls, are they gonna do the same as Jun Wan, confront Dr Jang for her??

Thus SHwa shows her free soul in front of JWan, they are eating couple.

Chi-hong remind me of Chilbong. There will always be an one-side love between them. Not just because she reject him twice and firmly, she has someone in her heart and no room for him. 

I said before, I don't think Song Hwa has a thing on Ik-Jun, I just cannot feel it. In ep3, when JunWan tell Song Hwa "There're must be something wrong with Ik-Jun, he look not very well" and ask her to check on him. She said "He will be OK on this own", ignored and went find Chi-hong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yyscrush said:

ep3, when JunWan tell Song Hwa "There're must be something wrong with Ik-Jun, he look not very well" and ask her to check on him. She said "He will be OK on this own", ignored and went find Chi-hong.

i think because the writer want to how that both characters know their limits during theirs status..as at the times ik jun still a married man..

and we can see song hwa and ik jun became close again after his divorce and statt to eat together lots times...means they all not only respect each others bit respect each others status too..their relationship such a realistic ways...that why song hwa ex who mention between both men and woman can they be friend??? and jung wan mention how that an excuse and old think...cause jung wan know his limits

i think fab 5 just get close again recently, i means they all close but watching their dialogue show thay after ik jun and seok hyung get married they all get meet leser and that times they all have not start the band...ik jun then busier being single dad while his ex were futher career in other place while seok hyung do his fellowship in uk/us...

so that what their kalgasu dinner compare to recent dinner is had different felt...and i thing song hwa know jeong won is sons of yulje president but here agains we learn about respect..song hwa and seok hyung respect his decision to hide the fact or rather not inform the matter to his friend...

• Like 10

On 7/2/2020 at 9:32 AM, KDramaFan0828 said:

I agree with fellow Chingu-deul here that their bond is really special which makes it so much more believable that they easily share secrets with each other. Just as how SHwa knew about Gyeoul, Jwon most likely has an idea about the mystery of SHwa’s past :lol: 

@KDramaFan0828 I told you I had also felt something similar. While re-watching there are some things that get connected to what happens in later episodes. 

I can’t help but think that how Ik Jun and Song Hwa are the ones that realized or knew that Jeong Won had feelings for Gyeo Ul, similarly Jeong Won is the one who knew about Song Hwa’s feelings towards Ik Jun in the past. In Ep 2 during Chairman Ju’s wife’s funeral when asked about past dalliances, Jun Wan said “Oh, that (romance)? Then Jun Wan gave a probing glance to Jeong Won who immediately looked at Song Hwa. And Song Hwa avoided Jeong Won’s eyes and looked at Ik Jun. I’m certain this scene must have been discussed previously here so I won’t dissect it further.

In retrospect why Jeong Won looking at Song Hwa may be meaningful and indicate he was aware of her feelings is because of what has been shown in Ep 4 during the Lacking 5’s band formation scene. Song Hwa’s admiring eyes towards Ik Jun are in focus when he starts playing the guitar. In the background are an irritated Jun Wan and a smiling Jeong Won who eyes move towards Song Hwa. Here’s a GIF I painstakingly made to show fellow forum members. (My apologies if the Gif' heavy. It took me forever even to figure how to make a GIF and compress it to this size)

source.gif

His glance towards Song Hwa is very brief and it fades into the next cut of various band rehearsals and in 3 of these Ik Jun is giving Song Hwa guitar lessons. Also in all these 3 shots Jeong Won is in the background practicing. So if Jeong Won really is as perceptive as he’s said to be in the series and that glance in the GIF carries some meaning then he has to know what was going on at least from Song Hwa’s side. 

I intend to post a slightly detailed version in the Ik Song shipper’s thread because I don’t want to shift this thread’s focus towards a particular pairing.

I never thought I’d ever ship couples - fictional or otherwise. But here we are. Then so be it.

PS @40somethingahjumma it took me over an hour to figure out how to post a Gif here :P, so totally missed your previous post. Will respond after I recoup some energy.

• Like 8
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 2

2 hours ago, ~Always~ said:

I intend to post a slightly detailed version in the Ik Song shipper’s thread because I don’t want to shift this thread’s focus towards a particular pairing.

Will gladly discuss your thoughts further in the thread so post away! :lol:

@40somethingahjumma I agree that choosing friendship over anything else was a conscious choice for both IJ and SHwa. I believe neither of them was hopelessly waiting for the other in the last 20 years. As an IkSong shipper, I've also accepted that it would take some time for them to end up together. Quite possible that they're the last, or might not even happen at all (of course, I'm hoping against the latter). And I agree that it has something to do with the 5's dynamics where SHwa serves as the emotional pillar of the other 4. You've mentioned that the other 3 men must first settle their own lovelines before IkSong even happens and I think there's a good possibility that that would be the case. We know that Jwon and Jwan are already on their way to strengthening their relationships with their respective partners but SH is far from even thinking that he deserves a shot at love. As I've mentioned in the shipper thread just a while ago, sometimes I think SH, more specifically his situation, may again be the reason for IJ and SHwa to think twice about their relationship. But this time, the reason is outside of romance. Out of all the men, SH is the most in need of an emotional pillar. In both the first and last episodes of season 1, we've seen significant conversations where SHwa provides comfort to SH. On the other hand, IJ shows just as much concern for SH's happiness. So it makes sense to me that IJ and SH won't get together until SH finds peace in his situation or finds his own solace in someone special (I'm looking at you Minha! :lol:)

• Like 10
  • Love 5
  • Insightful 1

On 7/3/2020 at 7:21 PM, KDramaFan0828 said:

So it makes sense to me that IJ and SH won't get together until SH finds peace in his situation or finds his own solace in someone special (I'm looking at you Minha! :lol:)

One of the things I'm really looking forward to is for Seok-hyeong to meet up with his ex. (It's why I don't think a one year jump makes sense at all) It is really the key to understanding why he is so reluctant to get involved with Min-ha for me. I want to know what kind of woman she is and why they really divorced after 1 year of marriage. For the entirety of S1 we saw him struggling with his toxic dysfunctional family dynamics and it is the reason that he gives to Ik-jun for staying single. For the record I don't believe he likes being single. It's the sort of thing a person tells themselves to convince themselves of something they don't quite believe in. Having the four friends is good but as IJ says to him, he needs more in his life to enrich and comfort him. It's seems (to me at least) more the case that it is a fate that he has resigned himself to because despite his father's death, he is trapped in the past. (I suppose there's still the Ms Kim, the mistress and her baby to contend with)

He really does need to live up to what he says at the Christmas Eve gathering that he doesn't want to waste time. He wants to live his to the fullest doing things he enjoys. So why doesn't he? If he wasn't partial to Min-ha I'd believe him when he says he likes being by himself but that's certainly not the case. All of his body language suggests that he really does like her. She obviously thinks so as well which is why she keeps trying to get him to have meals with her. I am of the belief that Min-ha is a different beast from his ex. She may have a resilience and stamina that Shin-hye may not have had. From what I recall their marriage was an arranged one so Shin-hye might not have had much of a say in it. There could have other reasons for the break up outside of the upheavals in the Yang family. Presumably her family is a wealthy one too and they didn't want to get embroiled in that family's issues.  It might be different for Min-ha who isn't from a wealthy family who is might be made of tougher stuff as we saw in Episode 8. Anyway, this is her choice as much as it is his. She might be up to the challenge and keen for it.

In hindsight the band was a good idea. It was a great refuge for the Flawed Five at various times when certain ones were dealing with unconfessed feelings and other relationship issues. But Seok-hyeong can't use it as a crutch for staying within his comfort zone. To a large extent the show is about people being nudged out of their comfort zone in order to achieve their potential. I'm sure it's no different for Seok-hyeong. He can't hibernate forever.

I'm sure I'm not the first to say this but it is interesting that the chaebol boys seem to be the ones that need to be confessed to for one reason or another while the boys from the regions understand the notion of "carpe diem". It's that age old, glorious tension of "life happens to you" vs "you take control of your own fate" and go for it. I think though that Jeong-won does understand after being confessed to by Gyeo-ul that yes, life does happen without your permission but it's no reason to feel victimized. And perhaps the kiss is also an indication of him finally manning up and seizing the moment. 

• Like 10
  • Love 9

@40somethingahjumma I agree with your observation on why Ik Jun and Song Hwa chose to not act on their feelings in the past in consideration of the 5’s friendship.

@Sorary spoke about the 5 getting closer again. 

About their current dynamic I’d add that while it was evident at the start of the show that the friends were in touch with each other but perhaps not that they hung out together often. Also Song Hwa, Jeong Won and Jun Wan all have different hobbies so the opportunities to meet over mutual interests are limited. Not to mention that Ik Jun with a child would have limited time to do what he wanted to do with friends or otherwise. So, as you also said, in the present they are more of each other’s support system in times of need than people who hang out regularly like when they were younger. That is the dynamic between them – family like friends.

Given this dynamic the characters’ actions and motivations is reflective of the group dynamics and their inner feelings.

Having said that there is something else I wanted to say regarding some discussions on this thread about the love lines. As I’ve said earlier I watched episodes 1 – 10 in the week leading to the finale and I was completely unaware of the various ships. The binge watching afforded me the advantage of not waiting for subsequent episodes and in turn not getting the time to process my preferences into couple ships and building expectations. In fact I was under the impression that all of them would have lovers from outside of the group. But come Ep 4 and we were shown Song Hwa’s shenanigans to join the band and her admiring glance towards Ik Jun. As much as this was a surprise from the makers, I have to admit that I was also completely shocked by the romantic linking of Jeong Won and Song Hwa by some people here in the forum.

So I can only conclude regarding the differing interpretations by various shippers that we see what we want to see. A certain preference always veils our interpretation to varying degrees.

Having said that one also has to be mindful of what the makers are trying to do with their presentation. I agree the Reply and Wise Life series’ makers have a distinct style of putting across stories woven around their (makers’) values and outlook towards life. Also let’s not forget their fondness of tricking viewers and making us think that we know what’s happening. But it’s not exactly cookie cutter style where we can replace the names of characters and we get the end result or the ‘endgame’. That would be a disservice to the creativity of the makers as it means viewers are not taking in the sub text of the love lines in Hospital Playlist (which by the way is not rocket science or hard to grasp by most people). Yes there are clues and easter eggs but most of them are pretty straightforward. The makers are not in any way trying to obscure what they want to convey regarding the couples under metaphorical clues which only people who’ve watched the Reply series would understand.

I hope I haven’t ruffled any feathers by what I wrote but that’s my understanding of this series. Or as Rosa said to Chairman Ju, did I just throw a rock in calm waters?? :wink:

• Like 16

Why didnt anyone ask about Season 2 concept on the Hospital Playlist in the last live session? I was sleeping at the time :wut:.. I hope it will be not major flashback story or like it sets during med school. If you watched Lets Eat 3, the major story was set in the college era. I hope it wasnt like that tho. Because I want more Winter and Bear doctors in the season 2

He said fast-paced. But what I want to know whether he will serve us more of couple updates!! Huhuhuhu.. more screen time to our support role actor/actress - Eunjin, Hyun Been and Chi Hong!

• Like 2

First special cut released by Shin PD. Jeon Mi Do audition clips (first and second audition)

Summary of the video:

- In her first audition (April 2 2019) she was asked about her basic informations: She mostly works in musical and theater but modestly say she's not as famous as Cha Ji Yeon (another musical actress who has appeared in TV) or like Ock Joo Hyun (Shin PD mentioned the actress name, who is also a popular musical actress and a member of popular girl group FIN.K.L) ;  whether she plays any musical instruments (She learn to play piano for her performance in musical 'Once' and she only play the songs that were performed at the musical. She never learnt to play it before); she almost never appear in TV (she said it's because her schedule didn't match and she did a lot of theater or musical performance. She appeared for a short cameo in drama 'Mother' and in a movie. She thinks she didn't want to mix or clash between her work in theater or musical with her appearance in TV. She deliberately didn't take any work in 2019, because she thought she wanted to rest, but then she participated in the audition and she'd be glad to join if she got accepted); where her hometown is (She is from Busan and can speak the dialect); she moves to Seoul when she admitted to the university. Then she audition with scripts with dialect and short lines of Song Hwa role in the first episode (her meeting with SH in his basement and the light gone out). My opinion: She was so stable and really sound like a doctor while reading the lines. SHwa is really match with her. Even Shin PD she was quite stable.

- Second meeting (June 4 2019) she said SHwa lines in ep 2 (parking lot scenes, doing rounds and outpatients, talking with the nurse about her 'ghost' nickname). Both Shin and Lee were impressed and praised her. Lee said JMD sound like a real doctor and she just smile shyly. She also auditioned for GW part (saying the lines where GW was a little bit cold with the patient's guardian asking about CPR etc). Shin and Lee praised her for getting into GW character quite quick and JMD reply it's because both explained about the character well. Both shares their concerned about their decision for what character they should give to her because she has done a great job. Lee said that SHwa character is not an easy character and JMD has really done a great job while auditioning for SHwa's part and they found SHwa's in her. Shin PD also said he did watch JMD's short cameo in 'Mother' and impressed with her because even if she only appeared for a short time, the lines she said really left something. JMD could only smile and hid her happiness for being praised. She then shares her mind, "When I work, there's this think that I always keep in my mind. I will work harder and give twice from what I got paid for (means she will go all out and show that she's worth the money), no matter what kind of roles I would play. Whether it's a small or big, it doesn't matter for me." Shin Lee shared to her that one of the actor who has confirmed (JJS) recommend her during his meeting with the duo (May 9 2019). Shin said that the actor has fallen for her acting and would like to recommend her to join HP. JMD was so thankful to hear that and say if she passed she wanted them to tell her who recommended her. JJS seen her at 'Once' performance and was amazed with her acting. The meeting ended and they said they will contact her soon. The video ended with this sentence 'That's how Mido become Song Hwa'

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 9

On 7/3/2020 at 4:21 PM, KDramaFan0828 said:

Will gladly discuss your thoughts further in the thread so post away! :lol:

@40somethingahjumma I agree that choosing friendship over anything else was a conscious choice for both IJ and SHwa. I believe neither of them was hopelessly waiting for the other in the last 20 years. As an IkSong shipper, I've also accepted that it would take some time for them to end up together. Quite possible that they're the last, or might not even happen at all (of course, I'm hoping against the latter). And I agree that it has something to do with the 5's dynamics where SHwa serves as the emotional pillar of the other 4. You've mentioned that the other 3 men must first settle their own lovelines before IkSong even happens and I think there's a good possibility that that would be the case. We know that Jwon and Jwan are already on their way to strengthening their relationships with their respective partners but SH is far from even thinking that he deserves a shot at love. As I've mentioned in the shipper thread just a while ago, sometimes I think SH, more specifically his situation, may again be the reason for IJ and SHwa to think twice about their relationship. But this time, the reason is outside of romance. Out of all the men, SH is the most in need of an emotional pillar. In both the first and last episodes of season 1, we've seen significant conversations where SHwa provides comfort to SH. On the other hand, IJ shows just as much concern for SH's happiness. So it makes sense to me that IJ and SH won't get together until SH finds peace in his situation or finds his own solace in someone special (I'm looking at you Minha! :lol:)

Yes, i feel the same..

As the emotional pillar of the 5 dynamics, i think all of final decision of Ik Jun loveline is decided by Song Hwa's states. (Well, actually Ahn Chi Hong is getting my nerves hahaaa. How if Song Hwa feeling toward Ik Jun is tumbling down. No no no.. please just don't :))

Come to think about Ik Jun, he never falls first before the girls had crush on him (Uju's eomma and Go Ara also falls for Ik Jun first, right?)

but for Song Hwa i think that was different matter. It so obvious that he falls on her at the first sight.

Well, i really waiting for Ik Jun's reaction knowing his lil sister dating his buddy.. :rolleyes: I can sense of his anger yet relieved feeling that his precious sister probably think of getting married after her trauma being dumped before..

And for my precious Andrea, he deserved all the love because he loves the God so much. And let me conclude that God sent Gyeo Wool for Andrea instead of sent him to serve the God as priest.

I don't matter about Seok Hyung, he will end up with his ex wife or finally open his heart for Min Ha. But i think to be with his ex wife is just because he feels gulity.

My gut feeling, Min Ha eventually conquer Seok Hyung ♡♡♡

• Like 5
  • Love 3

On 7/12/2020 at 8:51 PM, holyfea said:

As the emotional pillar of the 5 dynamics, i think all of final decision of Ik Jun loveline is decided by Song Hwa's states. (Well, actually Ahn Chi Hong is getting my nerves hahaaa. How if Song Hwa feeling toward Ik Jun is tumbling down. No no no.. please just don't :))

Captain Ahn is Chilbong-ed by Song Hwa couple of times, she definitely have no feeling for him as a man or love interest, she freezes him in the hube-zone. I think he could never able to escape.

Come to think about Ik Jun, he never falls first before the girls had crush on him (Uju's eomma and Go Ara also falls for Ik Jun first, right?)

but for Song Hwa i think that was different matter. It so obvious that he falls on her at the first sight.

Same thinking. There're is nothing clearer in this show than the feeling from Ik-Jun to SongHwa. How he clingy around her, ask her out, care for her, lost his mind when she announce her sickness or moving to Sokcho,...

And for my precious Andrea, he deserved all the love because he loves the God so much. And let me conclude that God sent Gyeo Wool for Andrea instead of sent him to serve the God as priest.

No doubt, she is the girl he has been waiting for his life time.

GdJBvce.png

I don't matter about Seok Hyung, he will end up with his ex wife or finally open his heart for Min Ha. But i think to be with his ex wife is just because he feels gulity.

My gut feeling, Min Ha eventually conquer Seok Hyung ♡♡♡

I am not convinced by Min Ha in the ss1. She is cute but feel like she might over-controlled in a relationship (she shows some anger when saw Seok Hyung with his farther mistress) She is a vice-versa version of Gyeo Ul. I am looking forward for Seok Hyung ex-wife.

• Like 3

Hospital Playlist Throwback Ep 2

Two Friends, that's how they became Ik Jun and Seok Hyung

Summary of the video

JJS second meeting with Shin PD and Writer Lee (May 9 2019).

- They talk about the band. JJS said he's curious about the song that the band will play and about the ensemble .

- Shin PD tell him about his character name, Lee Ik Jun. IJ is a hepatobiliary pancreatic surgeon. JJS didn't now about that particular dept. Shin PD and Writer Lee explained a little about his role as a doctor and his character. IJ is a fun and cheerful character. IJ has no complex and won't really mind if others criticized him. Almost like a perfect character.

- JJS shares at their first meeting, he imagined about his character from the short explanation. He pictured what kind of character he will play. He just knew about his character name, IJ, at their second meeting. He didn't know about the drama tittle or what kind of the story that it will be but he at their first meeting, he agreed to do the project almost immediately, because he believed in Shin PD and Writer Lee. Shin PD then shared about the title of drama (Wise Doctor Life) and what the drama is about to tell (the life of doctors and people inside the hospital). 

- Later KDM joined the meeting. Both he and JJS were surprised to see each other. He brought chicken and dried pollack as snacks for drinks (mentioned in the live interview with Na PD). They didn't know they would play in a same drama. 

- Shin PD asked if they are close and they both answer they are. They knew each other since their times in Daehak-ro (a district in Seoul for theater and performing arts. Similar with broadway). They never played in a same project. They became close while drinking together and they're of the same age (born in 1980). Outside the theater, they did work in same movies (The Fatal Encounter, The Drunk King, The Exclusive: Beat the Devil's Tattoo). 

- Shin PD let KDM knew about JJS character IJ and his specialties. KDM think that it fits with JJS. JJS asked about KDM's and he shared he's an Obstetrician. KDM said that funnily both of their character seems to fit with them perfectly. JJS asked about KDM's schedule and he shared he's been learning piano and attending an academy where his friends are children. 

- They continue the meeting with Shin PD explaining about the drama details. They also talk about trivia things, about whom KDM close with, about their family, their views in life when they are in their 40s, the reason they choose to become an actor. They keep talking many things as the night got deeper.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

8 hours ago, kurokurokaze said:

Hi... I've been a silent reader... I just wanna ask this when i read the title of this forum: is it confirmed already that the season 2 will be in the second half of 2021? :cry: it's so long..  I don't think I can wait for a year... 

on twitter and insta, someone posted a broadcasting schedule for tvn for 2021. the title is like Prison Playbook 2/Wise Life 2. And the date is around January 2021. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 3:07 PM, Sorary said:

i think because the writer want to how that both characters know their limits during theirs status..as at the times ik jun still a married man..

and we can see song hwa and ik jun became close again after his divorce and statt to eat together lots times...means they all not only respect each others bit respect each others status too..their relationship such a realistic ways...that why song hwa ex who mention between both men and woman can they be friend??? and jung wan mention how that an excuse and old think...cause jung wan know his limits

i think fab 5 just get close again recently, i means they all close but watching their dialogue show thay after ik jun and seok hyung get married they all get meet leser and that times they all have not start the band...ik jun then busier being single dad while his ex were futher career in other place while seok hyung do his fellowship in uk/us...

so that what their kalgasu dinner compare to recent dinner is had different felt...and i thing song hwa know jeong won is sons of yulje president but here agains we learn about respect..song hwa and seok hyung respect his decision to hide the fact or rather not inform the matter to his friend...

given that u-ju did not recognized songhwa and ikjun introduced them to him as his friends maybe that is the first time they met

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Minatsu Love said:

given that u-ju did not recognized songhwa and ikjun introduced them to him as his friends maybe that is the first time they met

But I'm still wondering why in Episode 1 U-ju stayed at hospital with SongHwa, since Wang Imo came to the hospital with them... Would it happen if it was the first time for U-ju to meet SongHwa? 

Edited by kurokurokaze
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kurokurokaze said:

But I'm still wondering why in Episode 1 U-ju stayed at hospital with SongHwa, since Wang Imo came to the hospital with them... Would it happen if it was the first time for U-ju to meet SongHwa? 

Hi, everyone. I'm a silent reader. this is the first time I join this forum.

I think, U ju might know Song hwa and Ik Jun introduced him to dr. Bong.

• Like 2