[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

I thought it's quite obvious that Ikjun is Songhwa's first love. Following him outside, looking for him and sitting beside him in that container, the look she gave him when he started playing guitar. , I think the writer really make it clear, good that the PD confirmed it

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

Shin PD wanna change the way how audiences had viewed his drama. The production team wanna change it.

Therefore, 'Wise' series came about. Prison was the 1st to be produced to explore relationships between strangers who had came to live together in a small room and their surrounding environment.

Now HP is now being produced to explore even more, love, friends, colleagues and doctor-patient relationship

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200608006300315

(Yonhap Interview) Director experiments with new type of TV series in Korea

By Kim Boram

SEOUL, June 8 (Yonhap) -- A typical Korean TV series, or K-drama, has a total of 16 episodes, with two aired per week, and closed endings that do not allow a second season.

The tvN medical drama "Hospital Playlist," which aired every Thursday from March 12, however, broke away from the pattern and took a different approach. Right after wrapping up its last episode on May 28, it promised to come back with a second season next year.

The drama's director, Shin Won-ho, said Monday he wanted to create a new type of TV drama, whose story can expand further in the next season, from the beginning.

"I want to show that the story still goes on, as if we come back next week, even though the last episode of the first season finishes," he said in an email interview with Yonhap News Agency. "I thought this mindset would help us make an unprecedented TV series."

EA2EF6BB-53F9-4A01-850C-AC0EFA653674.jpg

Director Shin Won-ho speaks at a conference on March 12, 2020, in this photo provided by tvN. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

The 12-episode series was written by star screenwriter Lee Woo-jung, whose works range from variety shows, such as "Three Meals A Day" and "Youn's Kitchen," to TV dramas, such as "Reply 1988." It revolves around five doctors reunited in the same hospital 20 years after graduating from college. They form a band and play their favorite songs of the 1980-90s.

Starring Jo Jung-suk, Yoo Yeon-seok, Jung Kyung-ho, Kim Dae-myung and Jeon Mi-do, "Playlist" has been well received at home and abroad for its attractive characters and well-rounded storytelling of hospital lives and patient scenes. The romantic stories also played a role in keeping people from changing channels.

But in the final 12th episode, the story remained open.

E3142925-FCFB-45A1-B1FB-BF43E9217DF0.jpg

A teaser image of "Hospital Playlist" by tvN (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

"As we have the next season, I can tell everything, nothing to keep back," said the director, who has created the hit romance comedy "Reply" trilogy and the black comedy "Prison Playbook" (2017). "As I bore the second season in mind, I could try something new in storytelling."

Moreover, his once-a-week strategy was also a challenge for the veteran director, as South Korean soap opera fans are so accustomed with two 60-minute episodes a week. Recent hit dramas like JTBC's "The World of the Married" and tvN's "Crash Landing On You" did not get out of the routines.

Instead, Shin expanded the running time of each episode to around 90-120 minutes, with each episode having its own main theme connected to old Korean pop songs. Each episode also takes place in a month of the year, helping viewers understand the timeline easily.

As a result, the show finished with flying colors in South Korea, hitting as high as 14.1 percent in viewership, while some of its soundtrack songs, including "Aloha," topped local music charts.

"As our drama aired once a week, it helped our cast and staff members have relatively more time to rest and study their characters more," he said. "And Korean people are getting familiar with this format, as more and more people watch American TV series these days."

With the announcement of a second season, there is a babble of voices on the internet about the possible romance between the two main characters, Ik-joon (Jo Jung-suk) and Song-hwa (Jeon Mi-do).

But the director remained silent about what will happen in the second season, which will start filming at the end of this year.

"Well, I started this drama after making the conclusion of the story," he said, without elaborating. "We will come back next year, and please enjoy the continuing story."

brk@yna.co.kr
(END)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, Helena said:

"Well, I started this drama after making the conclusion of the story," he said, without elaborating. "We will come back next year, and please enjoy the continuing story."

Hmmm.. it seems like the PD & writer already know how the story is going to end (whenever it'll end). I doubt the actors know the ending since it seems like they've kept some things even during the filming of the series. 

Well.. This is interesting... Now it's just a matter of how many seasons he'll make for this story & whether or not we're strong enough to last until the end. Can't wait for it already!! When will 2021 come.... Hopefully season 2 airs around the same time as season 1 (beginning of 2021).. T.T

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, Helena said:

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200608006300315

(Yonhap Interview) Director experiments with new type of TV series in Korea

By Kim Boram

brk@yna.co.kr
(END)

Sorry to cut the post

So.. it's true that the love couples have been already decided by the PD and the writer too

Or am i reading too much into his lines?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Love 1

I believe we’ve discussed before how the characters expressions might not be the best things to observe and draw insights from as they don’t know the whole story and are just acting their emotions as they are told. I think from Shin PD’s interview we can infer that the expressions and emotions conveyed to the audiences have been curated by him so they should be able to fit the narrative they have in mind ;) 

Another notable point from the interview was how Shin PD emphasized the ages of the characters into context of the drama. It’s harder to make life-changing decisions once you hit 40s. So they’ll be taking a sweet time to develop the story, (HAHAHA we’ll be on the edge of our seats until 2022) and probably without any drastic developments compared to usual melodramas.

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 3

Been a long time since I write or read the topic.

As mentioned before, HP is a part of Wise life series, which was quite simple and obvious in itself in terms of love lines. No tornadoes. It will keep its basics to normal life (as we all witnessed in Season 1), dealing with heart-touching interactions among the Fab 5 and also with the side characters (mainly patients in HP and were co-prisoners in PP).

As could be felt from the start the uncomfortability between JeongWon and GW, finally resulted in love line at the end (just like a common ROM-COM). Don't be offended, I truly respect the duo's work and had been following it. But for a change sometimes simplicity can be also be happening, keep us up on our toes.

In between, I still not over the the unknown facts. Who was SongHwa's first love? What will happen to IkJun and SongHwa? Will she reciprocate his love? What is IkSun's answer and more than that what happened in Hawaii? Will MinHa be able to convince SeokH to take a chance once more? And what will happen to our Winter Garden, as I think writer won't let them be still? And trivially it won't be fun also:huh: (Did I just contradicted my thoughts??) 

Please share your thoughts too on this...

• Like 6

Hello everyone~

I am new to this forum but I have been lurking for around 2 weeks and now I decided to unlurk.

At first, I decided to watch HP bc of Jung Kyungho and YYS, but now I fall hard for all the actors and actresses casted here! I believe HP has given each of them a new light and even the supporting casts are now shining! 

My fav character is Junwan and I love how his relationship develops with Iksun. They are the couple that I don't need to worry about. Seeing how this couple face such uncertainty at the end of S1, I am rooting hard for Bidulgi Couple to find the best way for their future :bawling:

Like many others, I love Winter Garden and ship them hard! So I can't wait to see their blooming relationship on S2 :wub:

I also can't wait for our GomGom couple, Chu Minha is one of my fav residents along with Gyeoul and Jaehak so I wish her the best to reach Seokhyung's heart. I feel that Seokhyung needs to have a proper closure with his ex-wife and move on, Idk why but I hope his ex-wife helps him to realise that it's okay for him to find a new person to accompany him despite his background story... 

regarding IkSong couple, I am that person who is going back and forth between whether Songhwa's first love is Ikjun or someone else (and I am pretty much convinced it's Junwan, anyone with me?). But reading the interview of Shin PD, it could be debunked. And idk why I think IkSong will be another slow burn romance in S2 as it seems Songhwa is contemplating a lot and careful abt it. I feel that IkSong will end up tgt at the end of S2 just like Winter Garden is concluded at the end of S1 or even at the end of S3 lol sorry! 

Anyway, HP is that drama which makes you hard to move on and can't get over with. I am in the phase of withdrawal now and find it hard to watch some other dramas that I am currently watching as well. HP has become my all time fav! 

S2 is still loooong way to go :bawling:

• Like 8

22 hours ago, JungRok said:

Sad over the fact that I will never meet Jang Gyeo Ul character in my life. Hahaha she is definitely my crush after I saw her in ep 2 for the 2nd time

Sorry to cut the post. But what to you mean by, you will never meet? Is she not going to be a part of S2??:frown:

If it is, then it would be a shame to lose such a :dissapointed: character...

22 minutes ago, Ima Imo said:
Spoiler

Hello everyone~

I am new to this forum but I have been lurking for around 2 weeks and now I decided to unlurk.

At first, I decided to watch HP bc of Jung Kyungho and YYS, but now I fall hard for all the actors and actresses casted here! I believe HP has given each of them a new light and even the supporting casts are now shining! 

My fav character is Junwan and I love how his relationship develops with Iksun. They are the couple that I don't need to worry about. Seeing how this couple face such uncertainty at the end of S1, I am rooting hard for Bidulgi Couple to find the best way for their future :bawling:

Like many others, I love Winter Garden and ship them hard! So I can't wait to see their blooming relationship on S2 :wub:

I also can't wait for our GomGom couple, Chu Minha is one of my fav residents along with Gyeoul and Jaehak so I wish her the best to reach Seokhyung's heart. I feel that Seokhyung needs to have a proper closure with his ex-wife and move on, Idk why but I hope his ex-wife helps him to realise that it's okay for him to find a new person to accompany him despite his background story... 

regarding IkSong couple, I am that person who is going back and forth between whether Songhwa's first love is Ikjun or someone else (and I am pretty much convinced it's Junwan, anyone with me?). But reading the interview of Shin PD, it could be debunked. And idk why I think IkSong will be another slow burn romance in S2 as it seems Songhwa is contemplating a lot and careful abt it. I feel that IkSong will end up tgt at the end of S2 just like Winter Garden is concluded at the end of S1 or even at the end of S3 lol sorry! 

Anyway, HP is that drama which makes you hard to move on and can't get over with. I am in the phase of withdrawal now and find it hard to watch some other dramas that I am currently watching as well. HP has become my all time fav! 

S2 is still loooong way to go :bawling:

It can be true that JunWan is Song Hwa's first love, but with the level of comfortability she shows around JunWan doesn't seem to verify that logic. And her hesitation around IkJun makes the atmosphere intense.

The too have supported the Bidulgi couple since start, but as I have mentioned previously also, I want to see more effort from IkSun's side into this relationship. Hope I see some chasing done by Iksun in next season (that will be actually fun to watch, given her character)

Everyone is facing similar withdrawal symptoms dear. Don't worry (geogjeongmayo)

Let's stay safe and strong till Season 2 comes.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks!
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, Ima Imo said:

While anything is possible, I doubt Junwan is her first love. She’s very comfortable around him and she admires his good looks and whatever charm he has and so it’s possible to believe that’s her first love. 

Junwan, from my observation seems to be oblivious about any relationship in the group as seen in Ep. 2 and in Ep. 11 when he tells Iksun there’s nothing going on between Iksong.  He told cheating Bf that the guy was old fashion for assuming men and women could not be friends.   So if he’s her first love, it’s pretty one sided (which is sad and my heart hurts for her) because we haven’t been shown that he likes her in a romantic way. If he is her first love, why does it matter now, what’s the value added to the Iksong storyline,  important questions I would hope they would show us. Also I don’t understand how they would point out in her bio about her first love was  in her 20s (hinting at something), then build a love line with Ikjun, only to have it muddied with Junwan as first love. Too many people/friendships would be hurt if there was anything significant with Junwan and Songwha. I don’t see the writer going this route, too messy and it’s not Grey’s Anatomy drama style (thank goodness). 

The love line is pretty much confirmed as Iksong. Ep 1 as PD stated has hints that point to them liking one another. Ep 6 confirms that they met during med school interview and iksong were stealing glances, songwha follows the duo after they are seen leaving, at band practice, she asks ikjun pointing to the cake if it’s for her (why didn’t she turn to Junwan and ask him?) there’s a text exchange where they should meet up. While I agree with many that we want to see Songwha’s POV on these scenes, maybe it is both their POVs. It doesn’t seem like the writer/pd are trying to trick us, we just have our own interpretation of what we see and sometimes our biases prevent us from seeing what’s obvious.  :) 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 4
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wook's Fan said:

Sorry to cut the post. But what to you mean by, you will never meet? Is she not going to be a part of S2??:frown:

If it is, then it

No. I mean in real life. 

A real Jang Gyeo Ul, in person in real life. 

• Like 4

https://www.soompi.com/article/1405541wpp/hospital-playlist-pd-praises-main-cast-explains-confusion-behind-jo-jung-suk-and-jeon-mi-dos-love-line-and-more

“Hospital Playlist” PD Praises Main Cast, Explains Confusion Behind Jo Jung Suk And Jeon Mi Do’s Love Line, And More

Jun 8, 2020
by S. Cho

42298C2A-594B-4395-BB9F-8D15CBA8AC41.png

Shin Won Ho, the producing director (PD) of tvN’s “Hospital Playlist,” recently sat down for an interview with Sports Chosun to discuss the drama’s conclusion, the actors, and season two.

Although he initially started out as a PD for variety shows, Shin Won Ho is the mastermind behind the hit “Reply” series as well as “Prison Playbook.”

Regarding the conclusion of “Hospital Playlist,” Shin Won Ho shared, “I feel relieved. For my last project, I felt relaxed at the end, but since ‘Hospital Playlist’ has another season, it feels like we’re not done yet, and I don’t feel completely relaxed. I think the aftereffects will hit me all at once at the end of season two.” He also thanked viewers for enduring his experiment of airing only one episode a week.

2A84BA8B-90B4-477B-BD2F-F26EC4FBB2D7.jpg

“Hospital Playlist” gained lots of praise for being a “healing” drama, of which Shin Won Ho thanked the cast for, especially the drama’s “’99ers” (Jo Jung Suk, Kim Dae Myung, Jung Kyung Ho, Yoo Yeon Seok, and Jeon Mi Do). Starting with Jo Jung Suk, he shared his love for the actors, saying, “[Jo Jung Suk] is a type of actor I’ve never seen before. His acting is not typical, and he is always adding in surprising nuances and tones. He’s someone who makes me realize, ‘You can do this in a new way.'”

He praised Yoo Yeon Seok’s soft heart and his love for children as he adapted well to working with the child actors. Shin Won Ho commented, “Even though he is the youngest out of the ’99ers, he was the surprising driving force.”

F86F7FCD-ABE5-4842-8B03-754D41CD16B8.jpg

Shin Won Ho nicknamed Jung Kyung Ho the drama’s “melo-starter,” explaining, “When we filmed melodramatic scenes, he wasn’t using any special technique, but it strangely felt different. Even in short scenes, he portrayed those emotions well.”

Kim Dae Myung was the first of the five actors to join the production, and Shin Won Ho talked about how he served as a pillar for both the drama set and plot. He shared, “Kim Dae Myung played Yang Seok Hyung, who genuinely enjoyed working with his co-workers. He would always mention how happy he was when they drank, but every time he did so, it was strangely emotional. His happiness made the atmosphere for the group of five, as well as for our drama set.”

Spoiler

6161E74F-DFA1-43F3-B510-E5D169C7D36D.jpg

Shin Won Ho called Jeon Mi Do his “smart and reliable eldest daughter,” commenting, “Jeon Mi Do is really a model student. For example, it’s shocking that someone who has never touched a bass can play ‘Canon,’ but as soon as she did the difficult ‘Met You by Chance,’ I thought, ‘You really are a model student.’ However, that alone doesn’t cover it. Her acting was always surprising. She is so clever and intelligent that I would be repeatedly surprised.”

The PD also explained the unpredictable love line between Jo Jung Suk and Jeon Mi Do’s characters Ik Joon and Song Hwa, which some viewers expressed confusion at. Even Jo Jung Suk had previously commented, “I didn’t know my love line would be with Song Hwa.”

Shin Won Ho explained, “There are some parts that are good to know beforehand, but I think there are some parts that are distracting. If you know about a love line ahead of time, your gaze could change. At the beginning, Lee Ik Joon was not divorced and Chae Song Hwa had a boyfriend. If they knew about the love line, their emotions could have subtly shown. From the perspective of the actor, not knowing can be easier with less to worry about.”

He added that while some viewers found their relationship to be a surprise, all the necessary hints were there, such as the way Ik Joon has his hand on Song Hwa’s shoulder during their first meeting while she blushes.

Shin Won Ho continued, “I also wonder whether love in your forties is like this. It’s been 20 years since they were in their twenties. During that time, they would have met many people and formed many relationships, and they’re at an age where old memories alone are not enough to live each day with passion. They’re no longer at the age to passionately fall in love at first sight or where emotions of love overtake your everyday life. I wonder whether the difference in writing from today’s typical romance or the speed of the relationship is the biggest reason.”

Spoiler

E4EAE776-A9B2-4D11-8128-B35544604A31.jpg

Lastly, the PD shared details regarding the highly anticipated second season. He shared, “Thank you for loving the drama for the past 12 weeks. Although you’ll have to wait for the next season, I hope you will keep these warm feelings in your heart and not forget them. Even though it may get boring, please be patient. If you aren’t doing much else, I hope we can meet again next year when we return with season two. We plan to start filming at the end of this year to return with season two in 2021, but the timing for the premiere is undecided.”

“Hospital Playlist” concluded late last month and hit its highest viewership ratings with the finale. Multiple tracks from the drama’s OST have also topped various music charts.

Source (1)

• Like 8
  • Love 5

7 hours ago, Wook's Fan said:

It can be true that JunWan is Song Hwa's first love, but with the level of comfortability she shows around JunWan doesn't seem to verify that logic. And her hesitation around IkJun makes the atmosphere intense.

The too have supported the Bidulgi couple since start, but as I have mentioned previously also, I want to see more effort from IkSun's side into this relationship. Hope I see some chasing done by Iksun in next season (that will be actually fun to watch, given her character)

Everyone is facing similar withdrawal symptoms dear. Don't worry (geogjeongmayo)

Let's stay safe and strong till Season 2 comes.

Yes, this is also my hope as well for seeing Iksun to be more open up and making initiative for the relationship. 

7 hours ago, signupabove said:

While anything is possible, I doubt Junwan is her first love. She’s very comfortable around him and she admires his good looks and whatever charm he has and so it’s possible to believe that’s her first love. 

Junwan, from my observation seems to be oblivious about any relationship in the group as seen in Ep. 2 and in Ep. 11 when he tells Iksun there’s nothing going on between Iksong.  He told cheating Bf that the guy was old fashion for assuming men and women could not be friends.   So if he’s her first love, it’s pretty one sided (which is sad and my heart hurts for her) because we haven’t been shown that he likes her in a romantic way. If he is her first love, why does it matter now, what’s the value added to the Iksong storyline,  important questions I would hope they would show us. Also I don’t understand how they would point out in her bio about her first love was  in her 20s (hinting at something), then build a love line with Ikjun, only to have it muddied with Junwan as first love. Too many people/friendships would be hurt if there was anything significant with Junwan and Songwha. I don’t see the writer going this route, too messy and it’s not Grey’s Anatomy drama style (thank goodness). 

The love line is pretty much confirmed as Iksong. Ep 1 as PD stated has hints that point to them liking one another. Ep 6 confirms that they met during med school interview and iksong were stealing glances, songwha follows the duo after they are seen leaving, at band practice, she asks ikjun pointing to the cake if it’s for her (why didn’t she turn to Junwan and ask him?) there’s a text exchange where they should meet up. While I agree with many that we want to see Songwha’s POV on these scenes, maybe it is both their POVs. It doesn’t seem like the writer/pd are trying to trick us, we just have our own interpretation of what we see and sometimes our biases prevent us from seeing what’s obvious.  :) 

Yes, actually it's just simply from gaze and Songhwa lines, I am in for IkSong, it's just my fickle heart goin back and forth by reading some theories lol

but Shin PD interview as shared above is quite enough for me to be sure that Ikjun is the first love. Let's see how this couple unfolding on the next season! 

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1

23 hours ago, ryanallright said:

Jeon Mido unfortunately lost the Best New Actress after 3 intense rounds of voting. She and Kim Dami were neck to neck before Kim Dami received 4 votes compared to the 3 votes that Jeon Mido received in the 3rd round

@ryanallright

I understand everyone has his own opinion and preference but personally I believe both actresses did a very good job and  deserved the nomination.

I watched IC and I loved Kim Dami 's acting.So for me it's not unfortunately.

I am sure Jeon Mido name in the future will be many times in the nomination list and I know many wins are there for her.

• Like 5

Dear Netflix, you really won't let us move on from Hospital Playlist.

Dear TvN, you knew already that we are dying for Season 2, so please do something to make it come soon!

Many of HP funny scenes are really entertaining me and releasing my stress during corona.

There are so many and so fitted with my humor :lol:

It is really hard to choose which one is my favourite because I love all of it. And after watching this swoon compilation, most of funny scenes are played by Ikjun and Junwan (Dumb & Dumber duo!).

These scenes are truly legend! :lol:

ezgif-3-01c1598ba273.gif

ezgif-3-0a24b5cc33ae.gif

Spoiler

ezgif-2-13ba2efd8052.gif

ezgif-3-d12819f8203f.gif

ezgif-3-726d37bd0afb.gif

ezgif-2-bb4da560b654.gif

ezgif-3-9b5b385ca448.gif

Edited by superspace
  • Like 5
  • LOL 12