[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

0ly40

Sometimes I miss living in Asia... having munchies at 10 o'clock in the evening...  Good memories but yeah... now that I've hit middle age, no more snacking for moi. 

Episode 12 should have been titled: "Everybody wants to kill Hyang Mi". Poor HM... Her life seems to have been one prolonged tragedy. There was a lot of good in her as we've come to see especially after knowing she was caring for a seemingly ungrateful brother and a sick grandmother. But the truth is, she did make bad calls even while she was dealt a bad hand, getting entangled with some really nasty individuals. She's really intelligent actually... far more intelligent than DB. Certainly very perceptive about people. Another time... another place... yeah... things would have been different.

The storytelling continues to be compelling. Top-notch weaving together of themes and characters within the context of a regional neighbourhood. All the bases get covered eventually. Even when I don't agree with the choices made by most of the characters or what they say, what they say makes sense... and is consistent with who they are. I can't be too angry with Ms Kwak. Her perspective is clear and it's one (I believe) that's born out of love. 

I don't know why people in this show... JR in particular... persist in saying that Dong-baek's life is pathetic. Apart from being vaguely condescending, it assumes that having to work hard for an honest, legitimate living is a bad thing. Frankly considering where she's come from, DB's life is a triumph of sorts. What's wrong with having your own business and supporting your family without relying on anybody for handouts? Not only does one maintain one's integrity, there's a measure of freedom in that. We're not enslaved or obligated to anyone or a system. This is why I'm rooting for DB and YS. (YS was so cute by the way... grumbling about JR flaunting his wealth and then trying to sell himself to DB) They're both simple, hardworking people  who meet their challenges one at a time. Sure they struggle like everybody else but at least they are living life on their own terms. It is nothing short of obnoxious of JR to throw his wealth and status around... even if it's couched in pragmatic terms... to denigrate DB for not doing enough for her son. To me it's sheer arrogance to come barging into a woman's life after she has raised a boy single-handedly with money she's scraped and scrimped for almost a decade to say she's not doing enough. JR is so blinded by his own attachment to his worldly possessions that he's unable to see the wood for the trees.

Of course if we hold to a materialistic view of life and that money and status was all that matters or counted... yeah... that would make some measure of sense. But life is much bigger than that. It's ironic of course that the man with the most money in the room is desperately unhappy. His marriage is a shambles and his riding on the currency of his sporting career to get ahead. What does the Superman show have anything to do with his playing baseball? When was the last time we actually saw him play baseball? Having money undeniably helps... a lot... but it isn't the answer to all of life's problems. It certainly no guarantee of happiness... if that matters to you.

The more I hear JR speak, the less convinced I am that he really cares about PG. Maybe he does... and he's just a terrible communicator but he comes off as a guilty man trying to assuage his conscience. I can't help thinking that he feels bad that his biological son is living in such poverty while he's a sports celebrity with loads of dosh. Why else would he continually throw money and stuff in their direction? As if that would solve everybody's problems. What PG needs is a dad first... not money. It's tragic that even PG knows that better than the so-called adult.

The reality is... life is hard... for everybody. It's always been hard. In fact I would venture to say that economically, we're living in the best time in human history with the greatest amount of social mobility. Look I understand Ms Kwak's concern for her son. What parent wouldn't be... Yes, it will be hard to YS to raise another man's son with the other man hovering over them, complicating matters. But as a parent myself I am faced with the reality that I can't protect my children from every single thing especially once they become adults. They have to make their own choices and mistakes. I am sorry that she sees YS's relationship with DB as something to be mourned. Frankly I believe she should be proud that she's raised such a kind and incredibly sensitive young man with such a wonderful sense of integrity. Yes, he's impulsive, a bit of a hot head at times but he is the salt of the earth. Could he do "better" for himself? What does that even mean? Perhaps that's something only he can decide for himself.

PG is certainly handling things well, all things considered. It's really more than what an 8-year-old should have to deal with. What I really appreciated from him was that he was able to observe the inconsistencies in JR's behaviour. And he (as I did) picked up that Grandma called him PG in DB's absence. It does seem more and more like she's faking the dementia.

Was surprised and a little bit impressed with Gyu-tae today. The man is not entirely without some insight. ;) The man needs to grow up quick smart though if he wants to win his wife back. And I think, he actually does. 

I don't know if HS is the Joker... the jury is still out on that but I couldn't help feeling that there was a Norman Bates type thing happening at his place. Except it's Dad and not Mum. Even if he isn't the Joker, there's something rotten going on in Denmark in his establishment.

• Like 10
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lu09 said:

She just decided to live and come clean:tears:

This is indeed the sad part. She just decided to turn her life around and then bam! One night she decides to do a good deed for Dong-baek by delivering the food herself, it happens. 

2 hours ago, lu09 said:

I'm glad YS mom draw the line today and told DB that she won't tolerate her son being treated like that and he is also someone else's precious son. I know it's not DB fault with JR showing up and interfering in her and PG life but she has to draw the line herself because JR crossed the line couple of times and is not listening to logic<_<

Right? I couldn't stand Dong-baek in this episode because of this. She can't even defend Yong-sik in front of Jong-ryeol when he's always defended her, built her up. Dong-baek and Jong-ryeol needs to sit down and settle custody, child support, visitation, with a lawyer, for everyone's sake. Dong-baek should consult our future governor with that.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Yes, when we saw Heung Sik at the end, it was clear that he couldn't be the Joker. Your theory sounds very good to me. It fits the profile that the serial killer would be someone who is dominated at home and is very frustrated due to that. But like @40somethingahjumma said, I have also the impression that the Joker has come to appreciate DB and has decided to "protect" her. From my point of view, the Joker might have changed his mindset hence the killing is starting again. Back then, maybe he was protecting another woman, until he had to kill DB, as she was a witness. He failed but deep down, he might have disliked it because he only killed people in order to punish them. That's why he observed her first in order to know if she would recognize him and got attached to her...

Hi bebebisous33, thanks for your reply. Yes, I do think Dongbaek would have been one of his initial targets because Camelia reputation in the town known as a sleazy bar (likely spread by the gossipy ahjumahs). He would have thought Dongbaek was like a bar girl but decided that she was not after seeing how innocent she was.

14 hours ago, irekatcas said:

I think you're right. Hyangmi talks about Copenhagen causally to Joker in the alleyway, like he knew she wants to go there. Since she seems to only talk about it with the people she is blackmailing money from, he fits that description. In Ep 2 she had scammed him one thousand dollars and that's when the wife found out and went off on her in the streets lol. 

Thanks Irekatcas. Oh I didn't know Han Tae Hee's wife is the one who was selling the injeolmi. If this is so, all the more it makes him a legit suspect because at the end of ep 3, Dongbaek was squatting down to pick up the beer opener which she dropped and saw flour on Joker's boots and made a comment on it. And we all know the key ingredient to making injeolmi is rice cake flour. Dongbaek also seems to be at total ease with Joker and even served him free peanuts which No Kyu-Tae so desperately wanted but doesn't get it. And she told him that it's only for regulars. Initially, I thought the CCTV guy's dad seems suspicious since the CCTV guy locked the door before heading out even though his dad is inside their home. But on second thoughts, to be a regular of Camelia, one has to be mobile in order to be able to frequent the place regularly. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

What a sad and tragic life of Hyang mi.. :tears:

Really sad episode, forget-me-not. Watching this drama really make me thinking not to judge someone's life, we are really dont know what she's going through her life, what is her reason to did some dirty jobs.

Is Joker killed her? We have at least 5 suspect who want to kill Hyang mi on that day. KJR, Jessica, the bad guy from hyangmi past life, NGT, and the Joker. Who is ordered the meal at 10 pm? And the guy who ordered at 12 pm? HS so suspicious, and his father, why HS lock him and told YS that becoz of the world is not safe. Maybe the real joker is HS's father?

I really understand and agree with Mrs Hwang opinion about YS-DB's relationship. DB should make some agreement with JR about Pilgu if she didnt want to hurt YS and continuing their relationship more smoothly. This drama really make you think deeper about life and relationship.. 

(Pardon my bad english)

Can we remembering DB-HM unique relationship through this GHJ's ig post

SDB receive support truck on the last day of Hyang mi

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I like how the writer gradually shown to audience the real personality of pilgu' dad.

he really a jerk, how come he constantly state how pathetic DB life when she try very hard

to achieve that level by her own. :triumph:

I feel bad for YS to feel small in front KJR when he keep mention 

about money and how YS  can support DB and PG.

i understand for YS mom to feel frustated when her son keep treated like that by KJR.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, lollyminx said:

I'm actually more interested in knowing who Yeong-sim than the joker. :lol: I mean, the joker is the joker. Whoever he is, I'm not that curious as long as he's caught in the end. 

At the end of the day, the Joker is largely a plot device. The person behind the Joker is another matter. ;) But the whole point of having the Joker is to give this rather human drama a sense of impending jeopardy.

Although it wouldn't surprise me... I think I've said this before... that the Joker will tend to be more like a metaphor about outsiders and marginalized individuals of society. The invisible people that walk around unnoticed by everyone else. He'll have sad story like Hyang Mi etc. 

11 hours ago, ErikaJ said:

Dang, this past episode really made me turn against JR. I get that he's PG's father and everything, but leveraging PG against DB? After he's been absent for so long and PG has been raised upright, he wants to have complete authority over him and  potentially take him away from his mother? That's a whole bunch of BS. I didn't like when DB and YS were trying to completely exclude PG from JR's life, but it goes both ways. It might have been something he said out of frustration/jealousy, but to even say that makes me really question his character and whether I've been thinking that he's been misunderstood is actually correct. He could just be a dirt bag lol. (Bravo to Kim Ji Suk though. I still really like the actor! He's done an excellent job).

Well it's his off-putting attitude that's causing a lot of what I consider unnecessary conflict. A lot of the huffing and puffing could have been avoided if he just acted a bit more respectfully towards DB rather than just waving money around saying why he's a potentially a superior parent. The implication being that because she's poor she can't give PG a proper upbringing. That's why he keeps throwing money to show his fatherly love as if that's the primary requirement for parenting. It's veiled snobbery and it gets people's back up... puts them on the defensive. I can understand why DB doesn't want him to have anything to do with her or her son... when they don't share the same values. She was more or less an afterthought in his life and now he wants to come in and take charge as if he knows best.

It's offensive... and utterly disrespectful.

15 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@40somethingahjumma

Isn't it obvious that Jessica just uses Jong Ryeol for clout? Remember her get-together with the other baseball wives in an earlier ep.? After snapping the perfunctory selfie, she goes back to fiddling with her phone without interacting with the other women. She's there (marriage) solely for notoriety purposes & of course its benefits. When her horrible mom told her to rethink her divorce due to her not bein' able to parent her own child financially, it's even more obvious why Jessica married Jong Ryeol. And because it's South Korea, where appearances are EVERYTHING, it'd reflect poorly on her as a single divorced mom. Look how Dong Baek has to put up with it so far. I suspect she trapped him into a shotgun marriage as is the case even in actual Korean celebs.

Lawyer Hong married Mr. Noh solely for the fact he was naive & she liked how he was an open book, someone with no pretenses etc. Which I presume she's quite tired of, she has enough of it in her line of work LoL. I also notice this in life as well.. that strong, smart women normally intimidate men so the only ones who would "submit" to them were the introverted, gentle, sensitive types. Basically they (the men) were easier to control for the women (just my observation:P) I gather the reverse is true as well. Maybe that's why Jong Ryeol married Jessica, he thought she was a floozy but boy did he get a troublesome one LoL. And probably that's why it bothers him so much that Dong Baek is doin' absolutely fine on her own without him. It KILLS him as he always thought Dong Baek was too weak to do anything. Guess what? Jong Ryeol - Wrong again buddy.

I'm hoping that there's more to Jessica than what we've seen. The show is more than capable of that. Look at what the writer did for HM. Jessica might end up just being a gold-digging airhead but I'd like her to be much more fleshed out because I think the possibility is there.

Same thing with the Nohs. And I think we're already seeing hints that mismatched people can make it work if they actually start talking to each other for a start. ;)

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

@40somethingahjumma

I wish I can share your positivity LoL:P

That's all Jessica is to me. And in comparison, Hyang Mi IS a way better person than Jessica (I know I'm shocked at myself for sayin' it!) Jessica is nothin' more than an opportunistic, narcissist. And yea she's not the sharpest pencil. 

I do sincerely hope for Lawyer Hong's sake, that she never gets back with Mr. Noh. He was trying to get her to conform to what his idea of a spouse should be.. and his mom despite bein' cheated on by his own father herself; seem none the wiser. But it's like "Love Affairs in the Afternoon", they almost never communicate LoL. Don't know if it's a cultural thing but they pretty much suck at expressing. Honestly, Lawyer Hong deserves so much more.

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

@40somethingahjumma @Latte_AnydayI haven't watched the latest episode yet but while watching the episode 11, I had this strange thought about Jessica. We heard before that Jessica lived for two years with someone and was about to get married, when her relationship failed. KJR has no idea that she used to live with someone. Then the mother told her that she should get a divorce and take as much as possible. She added that Jessica had to take care of the child on her own. This surprised Jessica who is not used to take care of things on her own. I felt that she was upset when she heard her mother because in her mind, she thought, her mother would be by her side.

Here is my theory: Jessica was pregnant, when the guy abandoned her and somehow she must have slept with KJR and claimed that he was the biological father. Since KJR is a responsible adult, he married her out of duty.... This would explain why they are not close as a married couple, why Jessica doesn't feel attached to her daughter and why KJR took care of his daughter. Furthermore, this also explains why Jessica's mother said that KJR shouldn't know that Jessica used to live with a man. Jessica didn't want to be a single mother.... not only because of the stigma but also because of her mother. Imagine the irony if this theory is true. He would be in the same situation than YS.

Besides, I doubt that Jessica would be for a divorce as she has never learnt to be independent. KJR has this traditional and patriarchal mentality in reality: a woman should stay home and take care of the children and household. He got surprised when Jessica complained that she could do nothing on her own. This underlined that he had never paid attention to his wife's real situation. He only thinks of himself. That's why he is acting like a jerk in front of DB. He can't stand the idea that a woman doesn't rely on a man. Therefore he is using his money to make YS and DB feel inferior and insecure.    

• Like 8
  • Insightful 6

I just want to write this post for being a proud fan of Kim Jiseok! His acting and bringing life to the character is superb. I know many viewers of this drama hates Kang Jong-ryeol. I am hurt but at the same time proud of my idol. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

Here is my theory: Jessica was pregnant, when the guy abandoned her and somehow she must have slept with KJR and claimed that he was the biological father. Since KJR is a responsible adult, he married her out of duty.... This would explain why they are not close as a married couple, why Jessica doesn't feel attached to her daughter and why KJR took care of his daughter. Furthermore, this also explains why Jessica's mother said that KJR shouldn't know that Jessica used to live with a man. Jessica didn't want to be a single mother.... not only because of the stigma but also because of her mother. Imagine the irony if this theory is true. He would be in the same situation than YS.

Besides, I doubt that Jessica would be for a divorce as she has never learnt to be independent. KJR has this traditional and patriarchal mentality in reality: a woman should stay home and take care of the children and household. He got surprised when Jessica complained that she could do nothing on her own. This underlined that he had never paid attention to his wife's real situation. He only thinks of himself. That's why he is acting like a jerk in front of DB. He can't stand the idea that a woman doesn't rely on a man. Therefore he is using his money to make YS and DB feel inferior and insecure.    

That's a fascinating thought @bebebisous33 and yes, I would love the irony of the situation if this is indeed what transpires down the road. ;)

It would be very convenient for JR of course... a rationale for kicking her out of the house while not having to share his worldly goods with her. On top of that an even bigger motivation to try and gain custody of PG through underhanded means on realising that the girl isn't his. That's the part I dread... his getting in the way of the OTP yet again.

But how long have they (JR and Jessica) been married or at least been together? Long enough to have had this baby? Would he have had a paternity test done? He was carrying bub in a sling so I'd imagine she would be under 10 months old. 

Honestly.. I think Jessica's just ridiculously immature and under her mother's bad influence. She just likes the idea of being Mrs Kang Jang Ryeol but she doesn't know what that actually means or even what she wants apart from flaunting it on social media. The fact that being Mrs Somebody actually means nursing a baby and raising a child probably never even occurred to her except for optics on social media.

It would be interesting though to see where the show goes with this. As you say it could potentially be a wake-up call for JR... 

@Latte_Anyday

It's not about being positive on my part ;) and to be honest, I'm not liking Jessica that much either. (I didn't like HM that much at times too although at least she had brains) But to me this is all about the quality of storytelling in this drama I've come to expect and the actress isn't bad at showing that she's not entirely about conspicuous consumption.

As for the NGT I don't know that he was trying to get her to conform to some wifely image as to the fact that he wanted respect from her. While I respect her a great deal, I don't think she did everything right in that marriage. She kept picking on him and made him feel small and insecure in a pedantic fashion. He's not smart to be sure but she knew that when she married him. Not excusing him for allowing himself to go as far as he did but people don't usually just have affairs overnight or entertain the idea... often it's that they're not getting something at home. Of course it doesn't make cheating right but there's usually some reason behind it.

• Like 9

@40somethingahjumma KJR never questioned DB's answer, when she denied that she was pregnant. He saw there were two tests, yet he didn't ask if she had used the second test or both tests. Furthermore, when he met DB again after so many years, first he believed her that she was married. Therefore I perceive KJR as naive too. So if Jessica claimed that he was responsible for her pregnancy, I doubt that he would do a paternity test. 

This drama shows bad parenting.... Strangely, the ones on the fringes of society, DB and YS, are the only decent ones. Remember how YS and DB were mocked by other children and how adults talked about them behind their backs. The point is that many characters considered as average family have terrible flaws:

- NGT

- KJR

- Jessica

- the coach

- HM

HM might have been a little excluded but she had a family. She was neglected by her mother and was "abused" by her brother. 

In other words, looking down on orphans or on children raised by a single mother should no longer be accepted. 

• Like 9

@bebebisous33

That sounds plausible actually. Considering how Jessica's mom love harping it to Jong Ryeol how she's desired by so many other wealthier men:rolleyes: Because she's eager & a capitalist I doubt she's a Mary Sue. She seem shameless & resort to any lowly means to achieve status. I won't be surprised the baby isn't his.. 

@40somethingahjumma

Yea I left that part out LoL. I do concur that it takes 2 to tango. Just like how Hyang Mi keep tellin' Mr. Noh of his askewed logic on nature of their "relationship":lol: He got some woman a hotel room but has no sexual relations with her:P Hyang Mi has her moments;)

Furthermore, because Lawyer Hong keep "correcting" her husband (I hate when people do that!) I can understand the source of Mr. Noh's frustrations. He wanted respect & Lawyer Hong sure wasn't giving it! 

I don't think he respects Lawyer Hong, it just seemed more like he was fearful of incurring her wrath LoL? 

• Like 6

guys pardon me for being slow but i could not understand the reaction of HM when she saw some people at the bus terminal... i dont know if it is important but i watch this episode twice and i still dont get it so it kinda bother me 

Btw, eventhough this episode is overall heart breaking for me, at least there was a brief sweet moment with otp & camellia family

• Like 5

3 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@40somethingahjumma KJR never questioned DB's answer, when she denied that she was pregnant. He saw there were two tests, yet he didn't ask if she had used the second test or both tests. Furthermore, when he met DB again after so many years, first he believed her that she was married. Therefore I perceive KJR as naive too. So if Jessica claimed that he was responsible for her pregnancy, I doubt that he would do a paternity test. 

This drama shows bad parenting.... Strangely, the ones on the fringes of society, DB and YS, are the only decent ones. Remember how YS and DB were mocked by other children and how adults talked about them behind their backs. The point is that many characters considered as average family have terrible flaws:

- NGT

- KJR

- Jessica

- the coach

- HM

HM might have been a little excluded but she had a family. She was neglected by her mother and was "abused" by her brother. 

In other words, looking down on orphans or on children raised by a single mother should no longer be accepted. 

My feeling is that he desperately wanted to believe that DB wasn't pregnant... and of course I don't think he really thought she would lie to him since he believed she was firmly under his thumb. He was so palpably relieved that she denied it that he never thought to question the result. He didn't want the pregnancy and he allowed himself to be led by confirmation bias. He heard what he wanted to hear.

That would be so much like him. In all the conversations that he's been a participant in, he quite often comes to his own conclusions and not really try to understand things from the other person's perspective. At the end of the day, he's basically self-centred.

Families are key... for good or for ill as others have pointed out. It's hard to say if the traditional nuclear family is under attack here or if it's actually affirmed in a backhanded sort of way. I appreciate that the drama also effectively demonstrates that people gravitate towards forming families especially when they haven't got one that's reliable.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

My feeling is that he desperately wanted to believe that DB wasn't pregnant... and of course I don't think he really thought she would lie to him since he believed she was firmly under his thumb. He was so palpably relieved that she denied it that he never thought to question the result. He didn't want the pregnancy and he allowed himself to be led by confirmation bias. He heard what he wanted to hear.

That would be so much like him. In all the conversations that he's been a participant in, he quite often comes to his own conclusions and not really try to understand things from the other person's perspective. At the end of the day, he's basically self-centred.

Families are key... for good or for ill as others have pointed out. It's hard to say if the traditional nuclear family is under attack here or if it's actually affirmed in a backhanded sort of way. I appreciate that the drama also effectively demonstrates that people gravitate towards forming families especially when they haven't got one that's reliable.

I wouldn't say that the traditional nuclear family is under attack, the drama only shows that parents are not automatically good parents and can have a negative impact on their children. People should be more open-minded in the end... fact is that we have in Europe more and more mono-parental families. 

• Like 8

October 23, 2019

Violent Crimes, a Common Subject in Dramas

Source: SportsSeoul via HanCinema.net

photo1114606.jpg

Stories of killing, being killed, and looking for the truth to it have become a thing these days. It's a must for dramas. Although thrillers have become a common factor in the general trend of dramas, it is also notable that the plots are mostly based on murder.

One of the most exciting points of the KBS 2TV drama "When the Camellia Blooms" is the identity of serial killer Gga-bul. There are many factors to the popularity of the drama, such as Yong-sik (Kim Ha-neul) and Dong-baek's (Gong Hyo-jin) romance, and the human stories inside the countryside of Ongsan, but 'finding Gga-bul' takes up some space.

Gga-bul was intense from the beginning. The appearance of the wrist of a woman killed by Gga-bul succeeded in making a grand opening. Because Dong-baek is a witness to murder, he threatens her. He writes creepy messages on the walls of her bar and corners her.

Now, the drama has passed the turning point, but Gga-bul's indentity is still hidden, so viewers are curious about it. It is said that it is being kept a secret by the production team so that it'll never be leaked.

Spoiler

"The Lies Within" started off with a cruel murder too. Kim Seo-hee's (Lee Yoo-young) husband Jeong Sang-hoon (Lee Joon-hyuk) went missing and even her father, Kim Seung-cheol (Kim Jong-soo), passed away from an unknown accident. The end of the first episode showed a piece of Jeong Sang-hoon's body being delivered to Kim Seo-hee. The main focus of "The Lies Within" is to find out who is doing such a cruel and evil thing and solve it.

TvN's "Catch the Ghost" revolves around subway patrol Yoo Ryeong (Moon Geun-young) and Go Ji-seok (Kim Seon-ho) tracking down a serial killer. Next month's tvN drama "Psychopath Diary" tells the story of Yook Dong-sik (Yoon Si-yoon) picking up a serial killer's diary and thinking he is the serial killer. KBS 2TV's "I Wanna Hear Your Song" is about timpanist Hong I-yeong (Kim Sejeong) witnessing a murder and then losing her memory.

Murder is now a favorite subject in ordinary dramas, that are more popular than movies and certain genres. It is not necessarily a thriller or horror, but it becomes a major motif and drives the play. It is a fact that it can increase interest, as it is a unique stimulating factor, but it also reflects the mood of our society, which is bitter.

"In the past, there was a sense of distance towards murder cases in dramas, but it is no longer the case", a broadcasting source said. "That's because we come across a lot of terrible events through the news", he said. "We have to sympathize with the idea that such things could happen around us. The gap between reality and the reality that the public feels about violent incidents has narrowed compared to before. This trend stems from the social issues which have led people to seeking such stimulating content", he said.

• Like 9

October 23, 2019

Child Actors an Essential Element for a Popular Drama

Source: ISplus via HanCinema.net // Photo: SportsSeoul

photo1114623.jpg

Little giants are encouraging the popularity of dramas.

The active parts played by little actors are remarkable. "When the Camellia Blooms" Kim Kang-hoon (Kang Pil-goo), "The Tale of Nokdu" Park Da-yeon (Hwang Aeng-doo) and "Pegasus Market" Um Tae-yoon (Jji-ae) are some of the scene stealers we are talking about.

20191023.jpg

Kim Kang-hoon is just as good as any grown-up actor with his performance. He played solid roles in "Mr. Sunshine" as little Lee Byung-hun (Eugene Choi) and in "Hotel Del Luna" as little Yeo Jin-goo (Goo Chan-seong). In "When the Camellia Blooms" he plays Pil-goo, Gong Hyo-jin's (Dong-baek) son who is mature, but pure at heart.

In the previous episode, he realized that Kim Ji-suk (Kang Jong-ryeol) is his father, but couldn't help but be overwhelmed as he ate. He argues that he's almost 10, but he loves it when Kang Ha-neul (Hwang Yong-sik) gives him the 'plane ride'. Thanks to Kim Kang-hoon's performance, the love triangle between Gong Hyo-jin, Kang Ha-neul and Kim Ji-suk's characters expands to the meaning of 'family'.

Spoiler

Park Da-yeon and Um Tae-yoon have less acting experience compared to Kim Kang-hoon, but they are just as good. Park Da-yeon, who plays Jang Dong-yoon's (Jeon Nok-doo) betrothed-wannabe and an adorable glutton, is the love messenger between Jang Dong-yoon and Kim So-hyun (Dong Dong-joo). She's also very fluent in the dialect that she has to portray, almost to a point where she could actually be a local. It turns out, the little actress is from Seoul, but her mother and grandmother are from a district with a dialect, and that's where she gets her talent from.

Um Tae-yoon even has a trending phrase. He is the youngest member of the 'human cart' tribe in "Pegasus Market". It's his trademark to make a small heart with his fingers and say 'sattu!'. His round eyes, plump cheeks, and small lips enable him to form various expressions, and he is also very fluent in the tribal language, which sounds Korean, but isn't. They say that he's just as adorable a little star on set.

Photo from Kim Kang Hoon IG

• Like 9