[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

@40somethingahjumma @stroppyse a little sidebar here.  All the talks about orphans remind me of this documentary I watched several years back about Pastor Lee who made a safehouse box for mothers to turn in their unwanted children.  Many of these children have health and developmental issues that are overwhelming for the mothers.  The scene where DB went to terminate her pregnancy is heartbreaking but it speaks of how brave these single mothers are to forge ahead for the sake of their unborn children.  

Spoiler

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Episode 20   Final episode. Here we go.    Favorite Scenes Deoksun taking care of Pilgu "You have to protect the Joker." - the Captain  "You can come inside if yo

THIS WAS THE MOST SATISFYING ENDING EPISODE BY FAR!!! I had to come back from lurking and type this out because I am thrilled at how it ended. I didn't have the hope that it would end so well in the m

Apparently the show runners didn't think that making Camellias was much of a challenge at this point, so they added another layer of complexity by introducing the Rashomon element to it.  "Who killed

Posted Images

When The Camellia Blooms: Episodes 21-22

by QueenVillain

wtcb11-00210.jpg

Emotional walls sometimes serve as protection, and other times serve as barriers in connecting with other people. In Ongsan, we see walls begin to crumble as some people realize they’re not as alone as they thought they were.

EPISODE 21: “The Hero Appears at the Last Minute”

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/10/when-the-camellia-blooms-episodes-21-22/

• Like 10

Edit: well the episode title changed from last I saw.. Now it reads 'the end of all flirting'. Just an FYI: I got the episode title off Netflix, I mentioned it because I dont think I saw anyone else had. :)

The next episode title is 'the start of a proper relationship' I think YS and DB go from being in a 'some' to being more serious. When YS wrote the names down of everyone he told/knew about the security camera, i don't think he wrote down the name of HS dad. HS dad knows about it because HS called out to him in the store. HM went from calling the person in the alley 'ajusshi' to telling YS it was a 'friend'. Maybe one of the ajusshi at the station was him? Could be someone entirely different though, a police officer?! Hahaha.. I dont know. I do love this drama though. And reading your insights! 

Edited by NOUSHY
  • Like 12

Kang Ha Neul Is Frustrated With Gong Hyo Jin For The First Time In “When The Camellia Blooms”

Oct 30, 2019
by L. Kim

5ce0d00736904a03876109fab7463f9b.jpeg?s=

Kang Ha Neul and Gong Hyo Jin will be coming across a bump in their relationship in the upcoming episode of KBS’s “When The Camellia Blooms.”

The Wednesday-Thursday drama tells the stories of three couples in different stages of love. The drama focuses on the romance that blossoms between Dong Baek (Gong Hyo Jin), a woman who is trapped in a certain perception about love, and Yong Shik (Kang Ha Neul), who shows unconditional support and love for her.

On October 30, the drama released new stills of the two lead characters. Yong Shik angrily gazes at Dong Baek with a look of disapproval, contrasting from how loving he has been to her. Yong Shik walks right past her, and Dong Baek appears sad and uneasy. The tense atmosphere between the two characters has made viewers curious about what happened between them.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1362508wpp/kang-ha-neul-is-frustrated-with-gong-hyo-jin-for-the-first-time-in-when-the-camellia-blooms

• Like 10
  • Sad 2

Episode 13

Favorite Scenes

Spoiler
  • Yong-sik's eyes when he's determined. 
  • No Gyu-tae telling his mom that the future governor of Ongsan Hong Ja-yeong's level is way up there. 
  • The neighborhood ahjumas protecting Dong-baek from the journalists/paparazzi. Because how dare them eat the ahjumma's rice cakes when they're not free samples cause she's not running a charity. :lol:
  • The ahjummas telling the journalists/paparazzi that Dong-baek's husband is a homicide detective.
  • Also, it's nice to hear them say they may treat their younger sisters like Dong-baek that way but they don't like it when outsiders do it too.
  • The journalist/paparazzi feeling like he just got mugged after talking to the neighborhood ahjummas. :lol:
  • Yong-sik's brothers!!! And one of them is the actor playing the army medic in My Country. 
  • "People who grew up being loved never seem to have a problem dating anyone. But for me, it's always all or nothing. I always try not to fall in love because I'm scared I might get hurt." - Dong-baek serving some relatable truths
  • This is an intense scene and I don't like how Yong-sik's brothers react to him dating Dong-baek but I cracked up when his older brother said, "I'd rather have you go around catching beetles!"
  • Ms. Kwak defending Yong-sik and telling his brothers not to be hard on him because unlike them Yong-sik didn't meet their father. Yong-sik's cry-face watching his mom defend him. 
  • "Let's just get married." :wub:
  • Yong-sik's line about sharing his luck with Dong-baek reminds me of Ma Hoon :wub: from Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency.

Thoughts

• Spoiler

• How dare Gyu-tae tell Ja-yeong he'll make her the first lady of Ongsan. Dude, she's going to be THE GOVERNOR of Ongsan. At this point, I'm no longer liking the idea of them reconciling. Just get divorced because I want to see Ja-yeong happy. 
    • The mess Hyang-mi caused. See, this is why it's difficult to like her. She cares about Pil-gu but she visits Jung-ryeol, thereby, drawing the attention of the journalist/paparazzi to Dong-baek and Pil-gu. 
    • Dong-baek's mom is right about the flowers and Yong-sik's naivety and why the issue with Ms. Kwak needs to be resolved.
    • If the Joker tried to kill Dong-baek after the fourth fire at the market, does that mean he didn't kill Hyang-mi? Because there's a pattern right? 

This episode shows who Hyang-mi saw by the bus. 

• Like 15
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

By the way, although I'm not actively thinking about who the joker is, one thing that stood out to me in this episode is the mention of sawdust in the fire. It was also noted in the arson case in previous episodes. What if the joker is working somewhere with a lot of sawdust and this is what's causing the coughing? :lol:

• Like 10

Yes! Yes! I love this show! I love what it brings to the table each week.I absolutely want to marry it... except that I'm already married... to my own YS. :D What a glorious twist... which I kind of saw coming while YS was monologuing. Because it is exactly the sort of thing he would do... YS doesn't think like other people... he's a beautiful, adorable contrarian. A heaven sent gift for the lonely, hardworking DB.  I just love how he loves her... it's mostly about what he wants to do for her and it reminds me of a wonderful word called "grace".

What an amazing expectation-defying proposal... perfectly delivered by KHN. And that heart-melting knowing grin. :wub: Just when you think Kdramaland can't come up with something new, they top themselves. If it weren't for the fact I have appointments and jobs to get done today, I'd be watching that scene on loop. ;)

Despite the odds, the opposition from all sides and the apparently insurmountable obstacles, YS never wavers and doesn't succumb. Incredible. An ordinary guy with an extraordinary heart.

What a great ending to an episode filled with thrills, warm fuzzies and hilarity. Oh... the neighbourhood ajummas... when they're good... they're really good. I loved how they strutted their stuff in front of the gutter press roaming their streets. So good... too good...

Before I go... I want to say something about Mum... The dementia is probably a facade. I don't know what she's up to and there are moments I wonder if she's actually the Joker... I'd say no but I did wonder for a bit during the episode. Even while she delivers her words with a cynical edge, there is wisdom in them. Wisdom that is hard won from the hardships of life. She throws down the gauntlet to YS... pushes him to man up and then pushes DB to pursue some measure of happiness for herself. Why pussyfoot around? Know your mind and heart... prioritize. That has to happen sometime. 

I love this show... to death.

• Like 7
  • Love 8
  • Awesome 1
3 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

The dementia is probably a facade. I don't know what she's up to and there are moments I wonder if she's actually the Joker... I'd say no but I did wonder for a bit during the episode.

I did wonder too especially when she told Dong-baek Hyang-mi isn't coming back. But it can't be her. It's just the writer making everyone look suspicious. Also, Dong-baek has been through enough I don't think she deserves to suffer more for the rest of her life being branded as a daughter of a serial killer. As for her illness, I think she has dementia but it's in the early stages. 

• Like 15

I like this drama so much! Just everything about it! From start to end! Week after week, it somehow manages to get better and better! It never disappoints! Also, how can one’s heart not flutter for Yong Shik? “Let’s just get married.” Yes yes yes!! I love it :bawling:!

@lollyminx @40somethingahjumma The writer and director are brilliant, aren’t they? They make us suspicious of everyone. I reckon the mother thinks Hyang Mi will not return because of human nature; when someone takes your money and disappears without answering your calls, they most likely will not be returning. I do wonder what’s up with her bruise though. And it’s certain something else is going on with her. She keeps going off somewhere mysteriously. 

Also, I know Heung Sik’s name has been clarified for now but he’s not quite off the hook yet in my book. He may not be the joker but I have a feeling there’s something totally dysfunctional about his relationship with his father. Why does he lock his father in? He says the world is not a safe place. Does he mean he wants to protect his father from the world or does he want to protect the world from his father? Either way, at this point, I don’t suspect his father too much. He locks his father in whenever he leaves so there’s no way he’ll be able to just roam around town poisoning cat food right? Their story may not have to do with the Joker but rather an added story to show Ongsan is not the perfect little town it seems to be. 

We’re also shown part of Joker’s face in this episode. He doesn’t look familiar so I’m guessing we’ve never been introduced to his character. 

• Like 12
  • Love 3

I really enjoy this show but I keep wishing it wasn’t on Netflix where their F bomb in the translations startles me every single time. I can’t get used to it at all. end/rant.

I was also suspecting HS’s father as the joker. There’s just something abnormal there. It might turn out to be a different explanation though. I notice that several characters like to say “don’t be a joke”. DB’s mother especially likes to say it and JR has said it and other characters. Most are obviously red herrings. I also think that Hyang-Mi’s murder was probably done by another perpetrator since several people had a motive to get rid of her but there’s also the possibility that she was killed by the joker.

YS is the best! I knew he wasn’t going to break up with DB. I hope PG will give him a chance. 

The neighborhood ahjummas had me cracking up in their confrontation with the reporters. I just love the way they handled the situation true to their style. :lol:

• Like 15
On 10/24/2019 at 11:31 AM, lollyminx said:

I agree. It's really solid. You get the sense that the writer truly focused on creating a story that makes sense here, not just for the sake of completing a drama. 

I know the writer worked on Fight for My Way, but you mentioned "both." What's the other drama she wrote? 

The other drama is "Baek Hee Has Returned":

https://www.viki.com/tv/31791c-baek-hee-has-returned

It's only 4 episodes long, so it's basically like watching a long movie. I thought it was really good and funny.

But you can't watch it now because "Camellia" is back on and you have to watch that! :D

By the way, YS's two older brothers are cameos from "Baek Hee," so it was a treat to see them.

--

My random thoughts on Ep.13:

Poor Hyang-Mi. She pissed off so many people that she ended up having a LOT of enraged people chasing her, openly wishing for her death.

Her death still bums me out, but she experienced that last moment of grace and love from DB before she left this world, so at least she had that.

The more Jessica obsesses about her "influencer" career, the more I am reminded how DB was hidden away in JR's apartment as he was hitting home runs and becoming a superstar. For whatever reason, DB was not good enough to be his partner in public, but Jessica is? Good enough that "Mrs. Kang Jong-Ryeol" is her entire brand?

Oh, Jong-Ryeol. You really sucked as a boyfriend. I know that he was written as a selfish knob so that he can be compared to YS, but ugh, he really is terrible, the more I think about it.

For anyone who needs to heal from the psychic wounds of JR's jerk behavior, I highly recommend "I Need Romance 2," where the actor plays the Nicest Boyfriend Ever (that he is actually a doormat).

Is it possible to love Ja Yeong more?

Is it possible to love the Ahjumma Gang more?

Is it possible to love Yong Shik more? (No, it is not.)

--

A note about orphans in Korea: Remember, the Korean War is a pretty recent event in history and just a few decades ago, it was a war-torn mess of a country. So orphans were a common sight, and it was also common for people to be so impoverished that they just couldn't afford to raise their children and end up leaving them at orphanages. That is why "orphanages" (고아원) changed their names to "child care centers." (보육원) Because not all the children there are technically orphans.

Like DB, she's not really an orphan. Her mother is alive. And her father may be alive, we just don't know who he is.

And heartbreakingly, there wasn't some remarkable reason that her mom left DB there. Her mother was just really poor and couldn't afford to raise her.

In the end, the entire show is providing commentary about single women and single moms. DB's mom, HM's mom, and HM and DB. One of the only ways a single, uneducated woman can make any kind of living is by being involved in selling alcohol, the very act which brands her as some sort of unsavory character.

So... yeah, a lot of things need to change, a lot of people need to fix their attitudes. Towards orphans, or children of single parents, single parents themselves, women who work... I love that the show is calling these things out.

• Like 8
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 2
13 hours ago, Heretorant said:

Also, I know Heung Sik’s name has been clarified for now but he’s not quite off the hook yet in my book. He may not be the joker but I have a feeling there’s something totally dysfunctional about his relationship with his father. Why does he lock his father in? He says the world is not a safe place. Does he mean he wants to protect his father from the world or does he want to protect the world from his father? Either way, at this point, I don’t suspect his father too much. He locks his father in whenever he leaves so there’s no way he’ll be able to just roam around town poisoning cat food right? Their story may not have to do with the Joker but rather an added story to show Ongsan is not the perfect little town it seems to be. 

12 hours ago, celebrianna said:

I was also suspecting HS’s father as the joker. There’s just something abnormal there. It might turn out to be a different explanation though. I notice that several characters like to say “don’t be a joke”. DB’s mother especially likes to say it and JR has said it and other characters. Most are obviously red herrings. I also think that Hyang-Mi’s murder was probably done by another perpetrator since several people had a motive to get rid of her but there’s also the possibility that she was killed by the joker.

I made this comment before, but I guess no one sees it this way but me.  :lol::lol:

It feels like the relationship with Heung-sik and his dad is one of a son watching out for his disabled father.  I feel like he locks the hardware store, even when his dad is there, because his dad is an invalid or disabled (with a cough!).  Remember when HS was offered rice at Camellia, he said "No thanks.  I'll eat with my dad."  

There are clues to make everyone look suspicious, and that leads to jumping to conclusions or prejudging.  As soon as someone coughs ... aaah, Joker!  Have to wait and see.  :)

DB's mother is super suspicious, but we have seen Joker, and he is a man.  I do think she knows Joker, though, and it could be her husband, brother, son ... (who is also a psychopath!)  I don't believe it is one of the villagers, because then this drama wouldn't be "heart-warming," as it has been described.

If Hyang-mi's body is going to be pulled from the lake, then Joker would be the killer because of the note found with the body, right?

@lollyminx  Yeah, the sawdust.  It didn't look like the powdery stuff, but more like shavings--the kind of stuff you might see at a poultry farm, maybe?  (Remember Yeong-sim's neighbor.)

Thanks for all the comments!!!

• Like 9
  • Insightful 4

@lollyminx and @Heretorant

I am wondering now if the Hyang Mi's killer is a different individual to the Joker. Just so as to confuse us yet again. Perhaps Mum killed Hyang Mi... which has nothing to do with the mad arsonist which has nothing to do with the Joker. We could have 3 different people at work here intersecting. :P I don't particularly care who the Joker is TBH but I am intrigued by this attempt at what I consider to be misdirection by the show. 

I also continue to think that there's something suspicious about HS and his father. I wonder why we haven't been privy to his appearance. There must be a reason for that. Does someone have dissociative personality disorder? Just speculating here...

I don't discount that Mum may not be faking dementia but it does feel like she's very lucid these days... gravely so. She's not even trying to be eccentric most of the time now.

My advice to Jessica: Get off social media!

It boggles my mind why people do these things to themselves... the bullying, the mockery, the torture of needing to be liked. I don't like throwing the word narcissism around but it's become a disease of our day. Talk about making yourself into a victim. I don't like KJR that much these days... less and less as the show progresses... but it's no good constructing your entire identity around your spouse and fickle public opinion especially if the superstructure of your life is as flimsy as a stack of cards.

I'm surprise she hasn't lapsed into an eating disorder already.  And I don't mean this flippantly. It is worrying that she's depriving herself of food for her looks.

I like NGT a bit more these days when he knows he's a pathetic loser and shows some self-awareness. It actually helps me understand what JY saw in him at the start. That self-deprecating side is actually quite amusing. It's somewhat better than JR's solipsism. I expected GT to grovel and he did... I'm also amused at that bit of cunning, running off with the car to postpone the divorce proceedings. I feel there's hope for him yet. :D

With regards to HM, it is regrettable that she didn't get her act together sooner. It felt like she was about to. But I suspect that underlying the mess and litter she left behind is the truth that not everybody gets a second chance. Yeah, I hate that she inadvertently dragged Pil-gu into the entire mess although anyone with sense would've seen it a mile away. A pitiful person on some level but also someone who also belongs to the KJR School of I-Don't- Care-What-Happens-to-Other-People-as-long-as-I-Get-What-I-Want. There comes a time when a person needs to stop running and face up to their own dirty deeds instead of just living perennially in damage control.

I don't see why JR should break the baseball bat and blame the gutter press for nosing around. He is just as responsible as HM for what transpired. He hung around like a bad smell despite being told more than once to get the heck out of dodge. "Raising Pil-gu?"... he should grow up first and think about what's best for PG.

Loved that we got to see YS' big brothers. That exchange was so funny. *shakes head* The dialogue in this show is so good. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, chickfactor said:

YS's two older brothers are cameos from "Baek Hee," so it was a treat to see them.

Oh interesting! I'll definitely check this out. Thanks for the link!

2 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Is it possible to love Ja Yeong more?

She's one of my favorite characters in the series. Maybe even next to Yong-sik and Pil-gu. It's a joy watching her story unfold. As I've said before, it's like watching a mini drama in a drama. Ja-yeong and Gyu-tae's story can stand alone. The writer is really doing well no, weaving all these intricate stories together happening at the same time in one town. 

56 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I am wondering now if the Hyang Mi's killer is a different individual to the Joker. Just so as to confuse us yet again

Yes! I've also thought of this because the Joker's pattern is to kill after four arson incidents right? But Hyang-mi died after only two, so it doesn't fit the profile. Maybe it was the pimp? Also, I was thinking the cat killer may not even be the joker. It's just a psycho killing cats. 

About the mom's bruises, maybe she's ill. I don't know which disease leads to bruises but maybe cancer? I don't know, and she leaves every evening for treatment? Or she may be working for someone else who's abusing her? I bet we'll know soon because if the preview is to be trusted, they're revealing a new character, a man, who's related to Dong-baek's mom.

56 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

but it's no good constructing your entire identity around your spouse and fickle public opinion

This is true. It's sad that in real life, some people behave this way and build their lives around what other people are saying and tie their identity to their social media persona. 

• Like 14

Aigoo, YS serious eyes crack me up everytime. I wonder if it was scripted or suggested by KHN; not everybody is able to switch from single to double eyelid like him :joy: (especially if they cast someone with double eyelid already).

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4Rouk0Atwv/?igshid=gejprut7e4rm

Aside being so funny he's just such a babe.. loved his range of expressions (eg. when he was frustrated but still wanted to control his cool and be nice to DB when he found out she does late delivery).. idk if i like YS or KHN more :wub:

The hospital proposal was soooo sweet and loved the kiss while they were both smiling.. and YS toned down on the satoori when he proposed, he's so sexy, similar to the first kiss when he said "you did it first"..

the last time my heart fluttered so much was when jo jong suk had a "ramyeon proposal" to gong hyo jin in 'jealousy incarnate' :heart:

Did I something previous episode? From the flashback where DB visited the hospital, i always thought she was consulting about her pregnancy, but did she visit with plan for abortion?

I also notice the camera focused on the dried chilli ajusshi (he was clinking glasses at Camelia) for a while. Could he be Joker?

What damaged Jessica's car? Why did JR specifically want to wash his car trunk separately? Did they both witness something? And why was JY's car dirty with mud?

I also think the paparazzi will not let go of KJR's scandal easily. DB destroyed the camera but not the memory card.

Edited by Whisper2
  • Like 12
  • LOL 2
18 minutes ago, Whisper2 said:

i always thought she was consulting about her pregnancy, but did she visit with plan for abortion?

I don't know where everyone else is watching. I watch from Netflix and if I remember correctly, Dong-baek was only consulting about her pregnancy. Maybe other clips have different translations? Not sure about that.

18 minutes ago, Whisper2 said:

What damaged Jessica's car? Why did JR specifically want to wash his car trunk separately? Did they both witness something?

This hasn't been fully revealed yet, I think. Maybe in tonight's episode your questions will be answered. 

• Like 10
  • Guest changed the title to [Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵