[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

0ly40

4 hours ago, Yongzura said:

I started watching it today and it made me want to watch it again.  Missed the two leads after so long and the first episode has already given me the chill. Will definitely watch it till the end.

Hello chingu! :) I also liked the first two episodes. The mixture of comedy, drama and crime is well balanced. The protagonists are very interesting too.

As for the serial killer....

Spoiler

I am quite sure that Dongbaek is not the victim. Like @confusedheart326, I believe that the waitress got killed by the joker as the serial killer confused her with Dongbaek due to the bracelet. Don't forget that she often steals things. I have the impression that the stalker and the serial killer are two different persons.

Strangely I am suspecting as the serial killer No's wife, the lawyer, because she is very precise about words. She kept correcting her husband... so she takes words very seriously. Jokes are often connected to words. Furthermore the serial killer didn't kill for a long time. Why? Maybe it has to do with her husband's behavior. No's wife feels threatened... especially, when she sees that two men are trying to get close to Dongbaek, whereas No's wife is supposed to be admired due to her social status and family connections.

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 8

Wait. Are they hinting that Yong Shik might be.. the Joker?! :blink: His reaction in the flashback is hard to read LoL. 

Anyway, those neighborhood ladies should mind their own damn business ffs :rolleyes: If they just take time to work on self-improvement, like oh Idk make the effort to look nice, perhaps their men won't go astray? Ugh it just bothered me as I personally dealt with similar cattiness in my own life! My heart breaks for Pil Goo too.. :tears: but he turned out well, more than I can say for his deadbeat dad. The only good thing he got from him is his talent for baseball.

I love how Yong Shik's mom defended Dong Baek & even Pil Goo has taken a liking to Yong Shik ^_^ The ending scene of ep.04 killed me 'cause he couldn't believe how quickly their friendship escalated! :w00t::lol::phew:

• Like 11

Watched E2 late last night and still loving the drama.

@thistle this one is a good improvement for KBS, it has cable offbeat quality.  It obviously connected with the general audience given the ratings cuz really, it is no high glam high budget show.  It’s good script and acting for that to happen :)

@Latte_Anyday oh hahaha, his face! the boy just accepts things.  LOL. You can see YS processing things by just looking at his face!!! Good in a way being transparent;  in some ways, could be concerning.  I think this is why YS’s mom worries.  Things could be too black and white for him.  He can also be blunt in words and actions so he can get hurt and hurt others unknowingly.   I find that DB is hilariously dense regarding YS actions.  He still is a weirdo :lol: 

YS and DB are innocent in love and relationships.  Feels like there is not a hate bone in DB’s body.  She was thrust into adulthood/motherhood and seemed stuck in this child woman stage.  I think it partially explained why DB is intimidated by the village ladies.  She has no idea how to establish her presence and fight back.  But then, she was raised in a single parent household too, with no adult male presence when was young.  Awww, no fatherly protective figure.

My heart breaks for DB when she said she would like to work at the train lost and found office since people who come to the place are often thankful to recover their belongings.  No one has ever said thank you to her. What do you all think she mean by it? I assume no one has appreciated her or that she feels she is never valued or was helpful/loved by others.

I don’t think the murders are straightforward.  There could be two separate people, stalker and murderer. Or the murder could be accidental.  My understanding is the note means “don’t be a joke, a person that people don’t respect”?!

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

2 hours ago, bedifferent said:

@thistle this one is a good improvement for KBS, it has cable offbeat quality.  It obviously connected with the general audience given the ratings cuz really, it is no high glam high budget show.  It’s good script and acting for that to happen :)

Good recommendation.  :)  I'll keep this drama on my "to watch" list.....but I still kinda need to know who the corpse is, so I hope I can trust the writer to do this right.

• Like 8

The main actors and whole cast are good. They are really strong veteran actor that's why I like it. The film quality and lighting feels rustic and retro too. 

I didn't watch any previews so seeing KHN like that was disorientating. I didn't even know I was used to him being a city slicker vs a clueless country bumpkin. I laughed yet was shocked at the same time.

This drama has a gritty feel to it. The opening scene freaked me out. I didn't start it expecting the female lead to potentially die that's all. The drama is certainly good just that am unsure if it's my time of drama if it turns too realistically dark.

• Like 11

12 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Hello chingu! :) I also liked the first two episodes. The mixture of comedy, drama and crime is well balanced. 

As for the serial killer....

Reveal hidden contents

I am quite sure that Dongbaek is not the victim.

Here she comes, the Master of the theories... At first I had a hard time to follow the timeline... the present... the past ... 6 years ago.. then back to the present... etc. One has to be conscious of which is which.

Since now, the drama managed to make us feel curious who the victim is, we just need to follow the storyline, the characters etc.  First I wonder did he feel heartbroken or relief when he saw the victim? 

I also love the last scene where all the three characters were in the same location at the same time..That's interesting

Till then....

• Like 10

@bedifferent

Yea they're both naive but that's what makes them adorable LoL? Is it me that sees Ha Neul trying to suppress his laughter in their scenes together?:w00t: Like I could see he's trying hard to keep a straight face:D I like that Yong Shik is so upright which makes him a good policeman, his squabbles with Dong Baek's landlord is a hoot!:lol: They're all kind of a weirdo in Ongsan:P While I like that the women rule the roost, they still need to work on their stinky attitudes:rolleyes:

Yea I do think her desire to work for the lost & found centre at the train station is because no one has ever valued her before as she said.. Her role as a bar owner is a thankless and painful one as you can see she gets discriminated by the women but taken advantage of by the men<_<

The drama has many comedic elements as well as slice of life moments, it's just the serial murders are throwing me off a lil ha-ha:P

• Like 11

Take a bow, @bebebisous33 ! *applause*  That was very well put! You gave me much to ponder over.  Brilliant how you deduced that the lawyer's wife might be the dreadful 'Joker'. Also, the theory of the stalker and the Joker being two different people might actually be right. Your comments were extremely insightful. Besides being 'Certified PAC Member' , you are also most certainly a 'Certified Amateur Sleuth'. 

So I finally watched Ep2. I am taking my time watching the episode, relishing it. YS continues to slay as the simple country bumpkin with a heart of gold. The actor does such a great job in conveying that sincerity and innocence of a simple country bumpkin who is all brawn and heart.  The guy is completely smitten and it's adorable how he follows DB around claiming to patrol the area as a cop.  #justdoinghisduty (as a man completely smitten who also happens to be a cop) :wub::D

The neighbourhood ladies continue to be nosy and make DB's life miserable. I am anticipating DB's mom's reaction when she finds out that YS is actually smitten with DB. Not an educated lawyer as she believes but an unwed, single mother who runs a pub and the most 'hated' person in the neighbourhood. I hope she continues to support DB and her son and approves of the match. Since she herself had experienced the hardships after being widowed, trying to earn a livelihood by doing a job which was then frowned upon, I have a feeling she would be much more accepting than the neighbourhood ladies and gossip mongers who would have a field day, if they find out that the most eligible bachelor is  grabbed by the most ineligible person in the neighbourhood.  I loved YS's mom's reaction when DB jokingly asked her if she was willing to consider her as a DIL as her youngest son was now back in town. :D So I am expecting some fireworks there but I am sure eventually the mother would accept her with open arms. DB has already made a place for herself and her son in her heart.

The scene at the railway station was quite heartbreaking. So was the scene where mother and son break down. I wanted to comfort that poor boy. Such a brave boy! So much maturity at such a young age. Just too heartbreaking. 

If that had not already ripped your heart apart, get ready for another emotional onslaught. The scene at the railway station! Whatever  recovery my heart had made , thanks to the comic moments between YS and DB, it was again plunged into pain as DB revealed about her dream job. Sometimes an innocuous  'Thank You' is all one needs to brighten up one's day. I like how the drama has a mixture of comic  and heartbreaking moments. Never a dull moment in the show yet. The audience goes through a  roller-coaster of emotions! 

Oh and did I mention how my heart hurt when  DB and her ex were sitting and discussing the past. It broke my heart to see how much she loved that guy. She still continues to wear that bracelet which he got her! What does that mean for our adorable YS? Will he get a chance to make his place in her heart?

I think the scene that left me on tenterhooks was the 'awkward' last scene!:joy: I can't wait for the next episode where all hell will break loose !:w00t: 

• Like 6
  • Love 5

@confusedheart326 WOW, What a compliment! Thanks a lot for this!! :wub: 

I would like to add another observation. There is another reason why I suspect that the waitress will be killed. Her hair. Remember that in the last episode, she was at the hairdresser's, when she was verbally attacked. No one could see her hair as it was covered by a pink towel. But it is clear that she was getting a new hairstyle... So The joker will assault the victim during the night, hence the serial killer can not distinguish her from Dongbaek, especially if she has a hairstyle similar to Dongbaek and she is wearing the bracelet. 

I have been thinking that since Dongbaek told her ex-boyfriend that she was married and the latter heard that she was dating YS, hence she might decide to give the bracelet to the waitress in order to keep deceiving her ex-boyfriend. She has to maintain the illusion that she has a man next to her.

Furthermore, if the serial killer killed women, the police will first think that the joker is a man. I am also suspecting that the hatred towards DB will be so immense hence the perpetrator not only kills a woman (the waitress in my opinion), but also "she" wants to destroy that face therefore the face is smashed to the point that no one can recognize the face of the victim. I do think that everyone will mistake the identity of the victim and think, Dongbaek died. I have also the feeling that once they discover that DB is alive, she will be suspected as if she had been faking her death in order to hide herself and her son from her ex-boyfriend. 

She has reasons to deceive him. First of all, she is single and she is financially struggling, whereas he is married and has a good income. After discovering that he has a son, he could decide to ask for KGP's custody.  That's why he is described as "bad man". He is definitely selfish...

• Like 8
  • Insightful 7

I watched the first two episodes (4 mini episodes). I was surprised when I saw the murder scene in this drama. I was expecting a light, rom com but it is OK. Mystery is my favorite genre.

I don`t think Dong Baek will be killed but it broke my heart to see Yong Shik walking to the crime scene thinking that the woman he loves might be the victim. There is the bracelet but they did not show the victim`s face. I also think that the the victim is Hyang-Mi. I think Dong Baek will give her the bracelet or she will give it to someone else, someone who will be with Dong Baek when the killer approach her place. Either way, I am sorry for the victim, whoever it will be. From Yong Shik`s reaction when he saw the victim, it looks like he knows the victim, he cares for her but it was not the woman he loves.

I knew that Kang Jong-Ryeol is the father of Pil-Goo before he came to the playground. Now the love triangle will be formed. It was funny how all the men who like Dong Baek were there in the last scene, included No Kyu-Tae. :D

Yong Shik is a weirdo but he is so innocent. He carries his heart on his sleeve. I also like how he empathizes with Pil Goo, he also was a boy without his father, "protecting" his mother from gossip, mean boys.

At first, Deok-Soon won`t like to hear that his son likes Dong Baek.  Yong-Sik`s mother bragged about a lawyer daughter in law but she will accept Dong Baek eventually. She is the only one who took her side in the neighborhood.

• Like 12

Kim Ji Suk Talks About His Role In “When The Camellia Blooms,” Love For Acting, And More

Sep 21, 2019
by Y. Shin
8225ca5cbce14273923359789bff79f4.jpeg?s=

Kim Ji Suk recently posed for the October issue of Singles magazine!

After the photo shoot, Kim Ji Suk participated in an interview to talk about his recent drama “When the Camellia Blooms.”

“When the Camellia Blooms” tells the stories of three couples in different stages of love. Moreover, the drama focuses on the romance that blossoms between Dong Baek (Gong Hyo Jin), a woman who is trapped in a certain perception about love, and Yong Shik (Kang Ha Neul), who shows undying support and love for her.

Kim Ji Suk, who lost over 15 pounds and grew a beard for the drama, plays Kang Jong Ryul, a professional baseball player who is married to social media star Jessica (played by Ji Yi Soo).

When asked why he chose the drama, Kim Ji Suk stated, “I treasure all the projects I’ve acted in so far, but I can confidently tell you that objectively, [‘When the Camellia Blooms’] is really fun. First of all, the script is amazing. Even if I didn’t star in the drama, I probably would’ve made sure to tune in. Aren’t dramas a genre that satisfies fantasies? In that sense, you won’t be able to take your eyes off [‘When the Camellia Blooms’] the entire time.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1353890wpp/kim-ji-suk-talks-about-his-role-in-when-the-camellia-blooms-love-for-acting-and-more

• Like 11
  • Love 1

Managed to watch both episodes 1 and 2. Thank God Netflix updates the next day after the original airing. I hope it will be consistent since other series on Netflix sometimes post new episodes late. 

Anyway, I checked the ratings and the second half of episode 4 got the highest ratings. I understand why. I cried buckets, especially in the train station scene. Hearing that DB wanted to hear thank you, that it must be amazing to be viewed by others as helpful, AND THEN seeing YS feel for her and understand where she is coming from. I want these two to be happy!! I also love that YS's mom has been looking out for DB and her son. :wub:

Also, since this series was written by the screenwriter for Fight for My Way, I can see patterns of how they write male leads. Both Park Seo Jun's character and YS are the type who "don't think much" but let their emotions just take control, although PSJ and KHN approach it differently (sidenote: I like KHN's better). I like it. It's refreshing to see men just go for it, you know, because I like the idea that they don't hesitate to feel and you know it's pure, unadulterated love without the complexities. :heart:

*I feel a KHN obsession coming on, although I've loved him since Twenty. This series may up that obsession a bit lol

Edit: One more thing, I think this series' charm is because of how the little neighborhood Dongbaek lives in is such a character in itself. It's one of the reasons why I love Reply 1988, and that element is here too. I LOVE IT. It shows you the writer's talent and commitment in building a story. Yes, some of the women in the neighborhood are so ugh, and the landlord is such a sexist (although I love the actor lol) but it's a familiar community because it exists in real life.

• Like 14

9 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Is it me that sees Ha Neul trying to suppress his laughter in their scenes together?

...While I like that the women rule the roost, they still need to work on their stinky attitudes:rolleyes:

Her role as a bar owner is a thankless and painful one as you can see she gets discriminated by the women but taken advantage of by the men<_<

No kidding, I've watched KHN before so I am not surprised he is enjoying the fun on set.  He's quite natural in these kind of roles, no doubt he will be fine if the drama decides to take a darker serious turn.  I just love how light handed the storytelling is to deliver the points to ponder that we have noticed so far.

Dong Baek's personality is what made the bar a success.  Her dignified way of living her life, taking accountability for her actions, always be kind to others... allow her male customers a space to be.  No judgment, no expectations.  A place where they are not being talked down to cuz Dong Baek understands how demeaning it is to be treated that way.  I think only some men take advantage of her, most notably Mr Noh.  But then, his is a case of buying respect and friendship (like he did with everyone around town), something he lacked at home. I think he has the potential on the redemption train later on. :lol:

By the way, his running for political office could turn the tide for the men later on over their wives.  He's on a crusade that the male citizens don't quite get yet.  LOL Ongsan is a town that live on their crab business.  The women are bitching and drive apart each other with their small mindedness.  Imagine if everyone becomes nicer to her neighbors, the town can unite to make that food alley a tourist magnet to benefit all.  'Tis where our Mr Noh can help.:D

7 hours ago, confusedheart326 said:

I loved YS's mom's reaction when DB jokingly asked her if she was willing to consider her as a DIL as her youngest son was now back in town. :D So I am expecting some fireworks there but I am sure eventually the mother would accept her with open arms. DB has already made a place for herself and her son in her heart.

Oh and did I mention how my heart hurt when  DB and her ex were sitting and discussing the past. It broke my heart to see how much she loved that guy. She still continues to wear that bracelet which he got her! What does that mean for our adorable YS? Will he get a chance to make his place in her heart?

Pil Go's scenes with Deok-Soon and Yong Shik are definitely reflective.  Yong Shik watches Pil Go fighting off the other boys bring back memories of his own childhood' bullying. I am glad he took actions to help Pil Go now that he is an adult who has the power to.  It's a lovely gesture all the more because he can relate to the boy's arcade love and help him indulge in that kind of joy at this age.  Captain Byun remarked that Yong Shik is cooler when he gets physical than instead of using his brain.  YS proved him wrong here thus I am proud to see YS acted with his heart and brain here.  For Deok-Soon, it was no surprise for me to see her feeding Pil Go.  She is after all, Yong Shik's mother;  genetics wise, the DNA are similar.  What she can give Pil Go is the comfort of wisdom coming from age that Dong Baek is still searching for.  Someone for him to go to for guidance instead of feeling frustrated from having to be the protector of his mom.  A second person in this town that could like his mom.  A chance to be a kid.  All that is on the assumption that Deok-Soon will embrace Dong Baek which I think she will :D

Yes, I love the scene where Dong Baek and Jong-Ryeol united.  

She was a 23 year old girl who wanted a family

To Dong Baek, Pil Go was never a mistake.  He expands her world so that she is no longer alone in this world.  There is nothing to be ashamed of to this woman who feels she has so much love to give and having a child brings that much needed love her way. It's simple as that.  A personal need that doesn't have to go by society rules.  I really like that the drama explains love based on this simple idea.  Dong Baek's love for Pil-Go is also as pure as Yong Shik's love for Pil-Go's mom.

On 9/19/2019 at 9:51 AM, ErikaJ said:

My prediction is that both the side relationships (the peanut guy lol and his lawyer wife/ Kim Ji Suk's character and his instagram wife) will fall back in love with each other via finding out why they fell in love with each other in the first place. Also, in the drama's description, it says that Dong Baek's love interests are a "good, bad, and cheap guy". The good guy is Haneul's character, the cheap guy I'm assuming is the land lord, and the bad guy...is unfortunately Kim Ji Suk. He definitely seems like he's a family man, so I'm looking forward to him redeeming himself by becoming more involved with his son's life, even if it excludes being with his mother. 

My thoughts same.  Don't be a joke, the writing is.  A joke is what Jong-Ryeol is to his IG-crazy wife.  BTW, what kind of a woman treat her child that way, let alone her hsb!!?  What I want to know is if Jong-Ryeol married for love?  Professional baseball players are magnet for groupies... did he marry her because of her pregnancy? :D  She for his pocketbook and fancy house?  Would he stay in the marriage if not for reputation, the TV show, society norms?  Would he be as courageous and true as Dong Baek to live his life as a single dad?  I don't totally wish for their marriage to work out. If the drama chose that route, I am ok once the characters have gone through the growing up phase.  I would be more interested if Jong-Ryeol live his life putting his own happiness and the child's best interest as top priorities.

6 hours ago, triplem said:

Dong Baek’s character is very unique- I was a little worried the drama will go an extreme ends of either having the female lead that is helpless or one that is overtly fierce . DB wins me over because she shows great strength & resilience without having to make a show of it . 

Jang Ryuk & DB do  not just have  a lot of history between them , there’s unresolved feelings & more importantly a child they both share which in my opinion will need co-parenting .. DB does not need to end up with JR but at the very least Pil Goo needs to be given the chance to know his dad & vice versa. I think one of the messages of this drama is about breaking down prejudices, and blended families can work. I think JR’s arc will be interesting to watch . Also oppa & a baby makes me root for his growth even though he’s the “bad guy “ here :D 

Hiya.  Love your points, esp from a mom!  :D Episode 2 shows how fragile Dong Baek's footing is or how hard it is to remain unflinchingly strong in face of ahjummas yelling into your face.  It breaks one's spirit in face of that kind of physical bullying you know. Despite Yong Shik, Pil-Go and even Hyang-Mi fighting for her, Dong Baek can't help not being affected.  No wonder she took her long walk at night to the quiet train station.  One cannot be the receiving end of such abuse at all time, what Dong Baek needs is the strength to make a change.  I think this is where someone like Yong Shik is invaluable.  Not only in the sense that he will do things for her but more to give her the support to make the change with his support.  Let her see that she is not an outcast with no friend in the world.  Her first step is to regain confidence in herself as a person.

Good point.  When will Dong Baek tell Pil-Go about his father?  Would it be before or after Jong-ryeol reaching out?  I am also worry for Pil-Go's reactions.  The boy has a survivor strong personality so it will take time to settle all the anger and hurt.  I do think the "bad guy" is meant for JR in a sense of the "deadbeat dad", I don't think he is the killer "Joker".  How Jong-Ryeol act from here out will let us see if he is the hero off the field as well.  Seeing Dong Baek's loving mother son relationship would no doubt make him self reflect on his own relationship with Jessica.

4 hours ago, larus said:

I don`t think Dong Baek will be killed but it broke my heart to see Yong Shik walking to the crime scene thinking that the woman he loves might be the victim. There is the bracelet but they did not show the victim`s face. I also think that the the victim is Hyang-Mi. I think Dong Baek will give her the bracelet or she will give it to someone else, someone who will be with Dong Baek when the killer approach her place. Either way, I am sorry for the victim, whoever it will be. From Yong Shik`s reaction when he saw the victim, it looks like he knows the victim, he cares for her but it was not the woman he loves.

The germanium bracelet is significant for Dong Baek as it signifies not only her first love (whom she still harbors feelings for) but it is about her son's father.  Holding on to it is not disregarding the past that she is not embarrassed about.  I am guessing we will eventually see Dong Baek taking off the bracelet - when she is ready to move on and be at peace with the past.  The bracelet was a gift given to her when JR promised to be her father, uncle, etc... She will part with it when she allows another person (hopefully YS) to take over.

The bracelet will end up in another person's wrist in a more meaningful way rather I hope.  Not just casually stolen by Hyang Mi. :)

The only thing I know is that the killing took place 5 years after the graffiti on the wall was written.  The cafe has been opened for 6 years?  We still have to figure out the timeline to narrow down the suspect.  If it is indeed a murder.  I still have doubt about the death being circumstantial or accidental.  

• Like 11
  • Love 2

56 minutes ago, lollyminx said:

I cried buckets, especially in the train station scene. Hearing that DB wanted to hear thank you, that it must be amazing to be viewed by others as helpful, AND THEN seeing YS feel for her and understand where she is coming from. I want these two to be happy!!

I loved that scene also. I also liked the beginning of that scene, when Yong Shik asked her to confess her dream. She did not say it at first but in the end she talked about her thoughts.

42 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

Holding on to it is not disregarding the past that she is not embarrassed about.  I am guessing we will eventually see Dong Baek taking off the bracelet - when she is ready to move on and be at peace with the past.  The bracelet was a gift given to her when JR promised to be her father, uncle, etc... She will part with it when she allows another person (hopefully YS) to take over.

Yeah. It is exactly what I thought when I was thinking of a reason for Dong Baek to give up that bracelet. It is a sign that she wants a new life, to move on, that she is ready to accept fully Yong Shik.

• Like 8
  • Love 2