[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

0ly40

I love the advise Yong Shik's mom impart to Dong Baek.. very different than your usual K-Drama cliched matriarchs. She was fair and sensible. That was unexpected how Lawyer Hong is now Dong Baek's ally eheheh! I think that repair guy, Heung Shik look like a possible Joker candidate but Mr. Noh look sketchy too ; well he's dumb though but I guess his ego might drive him to do the unthinkable.

Loved how straightforward Yong Shik is! He may be a simpleton but his heart's in the right place. He's just such a lovable character really LoL. He's got a point, Jong Ryeol should let go of the past & move on. He has a new family now & they should be his priority. 

Thought it was so hot how Yong Shik hold Dong Baek close at the end to stop her from seeing that dreaded Joker message... he's a keeper alright:wub:  Ahahah Pil Goo's a massive Twice fanboy.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

WARNING: RANT

I seriously hate KJR. He is so annoying. What Yongshik said is right - KJR left DB because he have everything but YS will give up everything for DB. That is the biggest different between these two. He "blamed" DB for his behavior changes. A real jerk... Boy just forgot about his daughter? Does KJR not think about the consequence of his action? He is currently married, a father, and a celebrity, if Jessica finds out about Dongbaek and Pil-Goo, with her personality I don't think she will stay quiet. Why he acts like he entitle to Pil-Goo because he is his son? Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad. What can he make everything right for DB and Pil-Goo when he can't control his currently marriage. 

What makes my hate him the most is when he told Yong Shik to stop liking DB because Yong Shik pity her or why YS like a single mom..

JOKER - Suspect

--- The repair dude. The Joker know where the CCTV is at and he was the one who installed it. 

--- Mr. Noh is suspicious too. His clumsy personality might throw we off but most murderers aren't they seems to be. 

--- Joker is must be someone we already see. He can't be someone we haven't see.

What confuse me the most is that Dongbaek isn't the joke of the town anymore. I mean she is not bullied as usual. She changes, she will stand for herself. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

3 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I was happy that the lawyer decided to support DB and gave her good advice

SAME! The woman in me was cheering when she offered her services as lawyer. YES QUEENS! *in Jonathan Van Ness voice* I was a little wary at first like what if she betrays Dong Baek? "Oh no, did she erase everything in Dong Baek's ledger? Could it be true that everything is scanned in the USB?" I think nothing like that happened though right? 

2 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

She was fair and sensible.

True. She wasn't being the usual mom villain in kdrama who doesn't like the woman her son likes just because. I felt for Ms. Kwak when she said, "How can I let him choose that path?" And true enough, the complications that Yong Sik needs to face for dating a single mother were shown in this series. Yong Sik wouldn't have to go through all that if he's dating a single woman. But well, I believe true love will prevail in the end and Ms. Kwak will eventually accept her later. Also, you know Ms. Kwak's a good person because she gave Dong Baek good advice as if she is her own daughter. An advice such as "Take it slowly" or "Don't rush into things" seems sensible enough especially coming from a person who doesn't want her son to date you.

As everyone in this forum, I love Yong Sik's straightforward and pure heart. However, for some reason, I felt sad for him in this episode.

He kept on saying he'd lay everything on the line for Dong Baek. He told JR as much.

He'll give up everything for Dong Baek when JR left her to have everything.

Yong Sik then told Dong Baek he'll do everything for her.

He'd make her happy everyday.

He'll grant all her wishes.

He'd be the easy guy for her.

He keeps on repeating these things and so I felt he's going to be the one who'll be hurt the most later on, like a big break-up's going to come when reality hits hard. Instead of feeling giddy over his pronouncements, I felt really pained. It seems like putting Dong Baek first will truly hurt him. While it's good to have a man go all-out with his feelings like Yong Sik did, his confessions are bordering a little on having less love and care for himself, which won't be good for him.

ALTHOUGH I agree with this too:

2 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Thought it was so hot how Yong Shik hold Dong Baek close at the end to stop her from seeing that dreaded Joker message...

IT WAS HOT. :lol::love:

• Like 4
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Blackend said:

KJR left DB because he have everything but YS will give up everything for DB.

6 hours ago, lollyminx said:

He'll give up everything for Dong Baek when JR left her to have everything.

On 10/7/2019 at 11:52 AM, stroppyse said:

So, perhaps it is Seo (sic) Ji Seok himself who is tugging at my heartstrings a bit to have sympathy for JR?

I agree.

You can see the contrast between JR and YS. 

Yong-sik definitely wins!

I think it is Kim Ji-seok who makes me feel sorry for Jong-ryeol.

6 hours ago, Blackend said:

Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad.

Yes.

What I find worse is Jessica's mothering,

and even the way her own mother defends her selfish ways.

Then there is Dong-baek's mother's abandonment.

What were her reasons?

I think “parenthood” could be the reason for the story of Yeong-sim's dog and puppies.

Does anyone know who Heung-sik (the repairman) is related to?? 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

@stroppyse Your translations are so much better. Thank you! :wub: How accurate are the Netflix translations, do you think? Also, are there are other platforms (Viki, VIU, etc?) airing Camellia that have better translations? 

3 hours ago, 1ouise said:

I think it is Kim Ji-seok who makes me feel sorry for Jong-ryeol.

Hahaha! Yes, definitely. I think it's testament to Ji Seok's talent and personality that a richard simmons character he's playing is likable lol

3 hours ago, 1ouise said:

I think “parenthood” could be the reason for the story of Yeong-sim's dog and puppies.

By the way, I kep hearing Yeong Sim. Have they showed who he/she is? Or is he/she one of those characters who gets mentioned a lot but is not shown yet in the series? :lol:

As for Heing Sik, I don't remember hearing anything about him. But LOL at the ahjummas talking about suspicious people in their community and then disappointing Yong Sik by telling him the suspicious person was a victim or was in Norway while the killings were happening. Love that they dimmed the lighting during those scenes too. Hilarious!

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

They get the general meaning across in English, but tend to lose much, if not all, of the nuance and color.

This is true. I felt differently while I was watching the episode compared to when I was reading your translations. I felt pained or hurt for Yong Sik at first because he was all, "I'm laying all the line for you," "I'll give up everything for Dong Baek," etc. I thought it was bordering on losing his self-love because he's prioritizing Dong Baek over himself, but while reading your translations, I felt more depth in the way Yong Sik delivered those lines. It's more heartwarming when you put Yong Sik's thoughts the way you translated them. So thank you very much! :heart:

• Like 9

@lollyminx

Like @stroppyse , I didn't interpret Yong Shik's words the way you did, nor did I see it as a sign of weakness.. I mean aren't you suppose to go "all in" for a relationship anyway?? A relationship requires trust, being vulnerable & having an open heart - which all make Yong Shik very charming & dependable. He's boyfriend material for sure:kiss_wink:

@stroppyse

I loved how Yong Shik told Dong Baek that he'd make her "die of happiness everyday":lol: where can I sign up for that LoL!?:w00t: 

He cracked me up when he said he wished genie was part of the avengers! Er--I'm not a comic book fanatic, but I do know the genie isn't a part of the marvel universe ha-ha! I liked how Yong Shik had this huge smile of satisfaction like a kid when she told him instead of a genie, he was like a fairy awww~ 

• Like 7
  • Love 3

@stroppyse From my point of view, KJR has always prioritized his career and social status over DB hence he never let her met his colleagues or didn't really protect her from his mother. I have the impression that he pitied more DB than he loved her. When he claimed that YS would pity DB hence he thought, that was love, in my opinion the baseball player was actually projecting his own thoughts onto YS. 

I am quite sure that Jessica must have boosted KJR's ego in order to woo him and this worked. Furthermore, I can even imagine that she ensured to get pregnant so that KJR would take his responsibility. But once married, she doesn't need to do that any longer, she has become a celebrity by association. She is determined to use his reputation and her followers in order to boost her career. 

KJR is indeed a selfish man but too weak in reality, he can be easily influenced by people which distinguishes him so much from YS. The latter is so strong-willed, his strong sense of justice and his past are the reasons why YS doesn't care about people's opinion.   

• Like 9
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Like @stroppyse , I didn't interpret Yong Shik's words the way you did, nor did I see it as a sign of weakness.

Oh yes, my view of Yong Sik in this episode changed a bit after reading stroppyse's translations, which are more should I say nuanced. I felt the depth in Yong Sik's feelings more because of these translations, when in the Netflix one's I couldn't help but feel bad a little for him because the translations were all about laying everything on the line and sacrificing for Dong Baek, which to me, was a little sad... bordering on unhealthy in reality. For example with what Yong Sik said about "If we date for real, you'll die of happiness everyday." I understand where he is coming from but these are too... let me just say, idealistic in a way and portrays him as kind of blind to what the reality is, of what's coming if their relationship goes deeper. I just feel like he's going to be hurt a lot when the realities and complexities of their relationship hit him. 

It may just be me though because personally, "I'll sacrifice for her," "you'll die of happiness everyday," "I'll give up everything for her" aren't things I would want to hear from a person I want to love. I'd rather hear things like, "There are moments where we'll be sad and we'll be hurt, but I'd still go through them to be with you and to experience the happy moments we'll have." So I was rather worried for Yong Sik when he was talking about these things. I hope you understand what I mean... but if say, someone as attractive as Kang Ha Neul tells me those things in real life, I'd probably date them anyway. :lol:

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

October 8, 2019

KBS Dramas Have It All, Ratings, Buzz and Quality

Source: StarN via HanCinema.net

photo1109065.jpg

KBS dramas are taking over the home screen.

The Good Data Cooperation announced on the first week of October that "When the Camellia Blooms" and "The Tale of Nokdu" have reached 1st and 3rd place in terms of popular TV dramas.

First, "The Tale of Nokdu" reached the top in just the first week and caused a boom. Not only did it maintain originality, but the chemistry between Jang Dong-yoon and Kim So-hyun made the drama more cheerful and intense.

"When the Camellia Blooms" comes along next with the impressive performances by Gong Hyo-jin, Kang Ha-neul and Go Doo-shim, Lee Jung-eun and others. Every line they say is a classic and reviews even say every single line is a piece of art. Specifically, the drama is a mellow, yet thrilling piece of work, and after every episode a heated debate goes on in various online communities. On the previous eleventh and twelfth episodes, its target audience rated of 6.6% for the 20-49 age group.

On Fridays is the "KBS Drama Special 2019". "SKY Castle"'s Yoo Hyeon-mi and "Jeong Do-jeon"'s Jeong Hyeon-min are some writers who debuted through short drama. Drama Center chief Moon Bo-hyeon said, "Short dramas are an investment for the future, and it's not possible without a strong sense of duty". "KBS Drama Special 2019" was acknowledged for two short dramas on the 27th of September and the third one, "Drama Special - Wreck Car", is coming this Friday on the 11th of October.

October 9, 2019

Ratings: "When the Camellia Blooms" Sets Record With 13.1%

Source: ISplus via HanCinema.net

"When the Camellia Blooms" showed an increase in percentage.

According to Nielsen Korea, the KBS 2TV drama "When the Camellia Blooms" rated 11.0% - 13.1% on the 9th. The percentage increased by 0.2%.

SBS drama "Secret Boutique" came in second with 4.1% - 5.0%, which shows a decrease of 0.8%. MBC's "Extraordinary You", which released 4 consecutive episodes, increased by 0.6% to 2.9% - 3.9% and 2.7% - 3.1%.

MBN drama "Graceful Family" rated 7.3%, breaking its existing record, while tvN's "Miss Lee" rated 2.7%.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

A million frustrations in this 8th episode...

Spoiler

I did not expect to be frustrated with this episode. I was figuratively pulling my hair over Dong Baek's response to the serial killer threat. She's scared that the serial killer's also watching Pil Gu but she also doesn't want a full-on investigation because THE MEDIA CALLED THE VICTIMS PROSTITUTES AND IT'S GOING TO SCAR PIL GU IF HE SAYS THE COMMENTS?! 

I mean you can easily explain things to Pil Gu. Dong Baek doesn't give Pil Gu enough credit when he's so smart he figured out who his father is on his own. He's smart and he'll get it when you tell him the media got it wrong. I mean between that and losing his mother, the latter would scar him more. So I don't understand the hesitance in having a full on investigation, and the feeling of helplessness when you have a choice to make it easier to catch the serial killer. Dong Baek said it herself. If you see a bug, you squash it immediately so you don't have to live with it, so why the hesitance in finding the serial killer? On the one hand, I do get that it's a traumatic experience. On the other hand, this is a show and I'm not liking the forced internal conflict in this situation.

Hyang Mi was also especially frustrating this episode. I used to like her but now, there's no "like" left to give. She's the worst. Well, the serial killer is the worst and then Hyang Mi. She's even worse than Mr. No or they're on the same level.

Also another frustration: Yong Sik investigating the case so Dong Baek won't leave. Here's another moment that makes me feel sad for him. I don't like that Yong Sik is being written as a man who's building his life around Dong Baek (which could be a good thing kdrama wise because it's new - this time, it's not the female lead who's crazy in love, but the male lead). On the one hand, there are romantic undertones to it. On the other hand, it's... I don't know how to explain it. I'm worried about Yong Sik and what would happen to him. Dong Baek can easily tell him she wants to leave Ongsan knowing Yong Sik lives there. She hasn't thought about what Yong Sik would feel. Yong Sik's "all in" for Dong Baek but she isn't, which is understandable given her situation, but it's painful to watch and I hope after they take a break from each other (since Dong Baek is leaving Ongsan, as shown in the preview), they find a balance in their relationship that it's not only Yong Sik who's fully invested in their relationship. I trust this will eventually happen.

This episode has a good ending though because we see Yong Sik investigating the fire and seeing the lighter. I have no time to go back to the previous episodes but was the green lighter the one Hyang Mi stole? 

Frustrations aside, my favorite part of this episode is Hong Ja Young going to the Camellia because she wants to drink with a friend. Way to go with the character development here. Way to go lawyer Ja Young. :star:

• Like 11

Aish just as Dong Baek finally get her confidence, the Joker knocks it back down again.. Dong Baek now understandably shaken by fear & paranoia is contemplating on leaving Ongsan. I highly doubt her mom has dementia tbh..she functions way too well?? Like she knows how to take public transport etc. Idk is she faking it?! And the police chief has a point, the Joker strikes whenever her mom's around. Where does she disappear to anyway??

Hyang Mi annoys the crap out of me. She's gettin' really brazen as well. To indirectly tell Lawyer Hong that she's the other woman Mr. Noh is seeing. Sheesh she's walking on a very fine line.. Jong Ryeol is just as bad. He obviously harbors hope on starting over with Dong Baek, especially knowing he has a son. Pil Goo's a chip off the old block ain't he LoL?! So he & Jessica aren't registered in terms of marriage?! I'm confused. Or did they just live together? But what of the child? I doubt her mom would approve of a child out of wedlock. South Koreans tend to go about matrimony in a roundabout way I noticed. They'd have a registered marriage but no ceremony LoL. Or they only marry because there's a chance the woman is pregnant before the wedding. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2

a3f48a083bcd46d8943fb526d23dcc7c.jpeg?s=

“When The Camellia Blooms” Achieves Another Personal Ratings Best

Oct 10, 2019
by R. Jun

KBS2’s “When the Camellia Blooms” has achieved yet another ratings best!

According to Nielsen Korea, the October 10 broadcast of the drama hit 11 and 14.5 percent viewership, an impressive 1.4 point jump from its previous high, 13.1 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1358195wpp/when-the-camellia-blooms-achieves-another-personal-ratings-best

@lollyminx  

I have no time to go back to the previous episodes but was the green lighter the one Hyang Mi stole? 

Screenshot 2019-09-28 18.21.26Screenshot 2019-09-28 18.21.45

He pocketed that night.  The other smoker is Mr Noh who has a clear pink cigarette lighter that was stolen by Hyang Mi.  

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

Gah.

This so reminds me of her in SFH...

LCJtRp.png

Now I am wondering if Hyang Mi is turning out to be so unlikable that we wouldn't really feel bad if she was the dead body from the riverside.

I am still on YS's side here.

DB is understandably more concerned about the safety of her son and she would want to go somewhere where her son is safe. YS shows a lot of care and concern for her but in the end, it is DB who can make the decision.

When I saw that YS was following DB to the tunnel where the drunk man was, I could see that he would have seen to her safety and not do anything if DB was able to walk through. However, he noticed her clenched hands and realised she was afraid and that's when he appeared.

More and more people seem to be suspicious as the Joker and I agree with YS that the scariest thing would be to find out the Joker is someone they know.

PS. I think DB's mom is faking her dementia but I am still not sure why. She can take a taxi by herself and return home (to DB) later ? Someone who has dementia would not be able to remember how to take a taxi or remember their next step.

PS. Why that question about life insurance?

• Like 10
  • Love 2