[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

0ly40

Appreciate everyone's insights and thoughts on the main characters. :)

It's clear that we're dealing with flawed, ordinary individuals who have a long way to go to get their act together. As much as we love a good villain, the truth is, people are their own worst enemies. Except for our mysterious Joker, I don't think anyone stands out as a villain.

I don't think JR is particularly awful... certainly not in the way GT is nor does he have anywhere near GT's lack of self-awareness. Although there is a part of him that is trying to make up for lost time, it's not entirely altruistic. At least not from where I'm looking. His home life is something of a disaster. I can only speculate that he married that pretentious wife of his under duress of some kind rather than the result of any genuine affection. He doesn't seem especially strong-willed so I imagine that he is someone that can easily be taken advantage of. Moreover the show establishes that his love for DB was genuine even if he wasn't determined enough to overcome parental objections to take a strong stance. It is an obvious contrast to YS who seems to be taboo blind and immune to emotional blackmail. But I don't want to judge JR too harshly seeing that he was a younger man then and well... DB did decide to walk away.

I do think GT is a pathetic creature in every sense. His egregious attempts to name drop and flaunt his wealth to get respect has become increasingly repulsive. In a way I blame the people around him for feeding the beast. Everyone from his mother to the police chief do their bit to mollycoddle him. Even his wife has had a part to play in this. Of course he is responsible for the choices he's made but he's so preoccupied with being noticed and respected that he doesn't even notice that he's become an object of derision. It is almost pitiful except that he's using his clout in the town to bully those in a vulnerable position. It's all he has really because he's not especially a bright fellow. I suppose with Hyang Mi discreetly blackmailing him now, he's getting a bit of comeuppance for letting the chip on his shoulder get out of hand. He's completely lost control. I don't especially like HM either... her goal is highly unrealistic and she's not doing very much to get anywhere close to where she needs to be. Why Copenhagen... why not Japan for instance?

The show seem determined to tease us each week with flashforwards of the aftermath of the Joker's handiwork. As to who the victim is, that question doesn't really interest me... I'm reasonably sure of who it isn't. But what I want to know is... why now? Why strike again after all this time? 

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1

Just my observation from end of episode 6 (netflix):

The first 6 digits found in the victim's ID shows "861224". For a Korean ID, the first 6 digits represents a person's DOB in yymmdd format.

The ID in the wallet can't belong to Dong baek's as her registered birthday is 29th August 1986.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 4
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Whisper2 said:

The ID in the wallet can't belong to Dong baek's as her registered birthday is 29th August 1986.

Ooooh really? Good catch. 

But is there a way for Dong Baek to have changed her registered birthday since meeting her mother and present time (when the body is discovered)? They said her birthday is sometime in winter, which coincides iwth "861224." If Dong Baek's mom briefly remembers it and tells Dong Baek, can she have it changed in her ID? 

• Like 9

Wow... so many theories of the mysterious Joker. Well, I'm going to leave it to you to find out all the clues and predict who he or she is. As for me i'm going to focus on the future couple for now.

I've done watching the latest episode yesterday and the last scene when DB and YS cried together left a lasting impression till now (I was crying with them too automatically) Finally, DB showed her "strength" ... and who would have known she kept a detailed journal like this.

I love how the production tells us what's in the character's mind that only we knew about it. I guess YS's mother will let him be with DB after seeing how both protected each other. Looking forward to the next step in their relationship.

Credit to the owner

• Like 7
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Yongzura said:

I've done watching the latest episode yesterday and the last scene when DB and YS cried together left a lasting impression till now (I was crying with them too automatically)

I just finished watching last night too and I cried at that last scene too... so sweet. 

YS for once controlled himself not to say anything out of consideration for DB, and DB marching to the police station to speak up for herself in order to defend YS.

I teared up too seeing what YS prepares for DB’s birthday. 

Regarding the ID number, I thought about the changing of her birthdate too. Is it at all possible? Would DB actually want to do so too? Now it’s time to keep our eyes peeled for the kind of wallet she uses. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

Screenshot 2019-10-06 17.23.31

Cr: Netflix                                   :lol::lol::lol:   The shoe print  :lol:

Enjoy very much reading everyone's post.^^

My favorite thing about the ending is how Dong Baek has found within herself the strength to act. Tells me she has stopped viewing herself as an outcast in this small town who should just protect her interests, laying low and not get involved.  As a child, she believes that she is invisible to others and her voice is not heard.  Instead of feeling powerless and doomed with bad luck, DB took center stage, something she is uncomfortable at.  She was stern against GT while he was drunk but those were done in private.  It's good to see DB confronts injustice in the open and fights her own battle.  Deok Soon sees the similarities with her son and approved.

GT lacks respect from his wife and JR was not proud of DB when they were together. YS, on the other hand, feels proud of DB's resiliency and treats her  kindly.  I do think DB needs to start telling Pil Gu the truth about his father, she should allow the boy the choice to have a relationship with JR.   Maybe Yong Sik can help JR with his son, both wants good things for him.  I root for their manbonding.  However, at this point, I don't feel that JR is ready to make his relationship with Pil Gu public.  The man needs to grow a spine too.  I can also understand the scandal toward his image (god knows, Jessica and her followers).  

We talked a lot about the word "deserve".  What I like about the word is that it is usually earned and not passively assigned to a person.  We all have an active role in making the life that we live the way we want it to be no matter what hand we are dealt with.  We are not victims of our circumstances.  I like how hopeful it implies.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@40somethingahjumma

Yeah i get all that. But in the end he can just keep his hands to himself and not be a creep. It's rather simple.

I hate that the mom appeared. And you guys are right. She probably triggered the fire alarm. I am going to hate that even more.

The last scene at the police station so i can't be too mad.

• Like 4

On 10/5/2019 at 8:54 AM, Whisper2 said:

The first 6 digits found in the victim's ID shows "861224". For a Korean ID, the first 6 digits represents a person's DOB in yymmdd format.

The address on the ID I believe is in Paju.  Does anyone remember if DB ever mentioned Paju?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Btw, I don't think JR is the right man for DB. Rather, YS who so clearly loves DB and is willing to be completely open about it and is proud of her is the right man for her. However, I find myself pitying JR as well.

To me timing plays a big part in all of this. Wrong place, wrong time = wrong man. He certainly has a lot of regrets especially because his own marriage isn't a happy one. I imagine that at the back of his mind he's wondering about what might have been. (The grass is greener on the other side etc.)

JR isn't unlikeable but at the time when DB needed him most to be decisive about their relationship, he couldn't be. And as you pointed out they don't really complement each other that well.

5 hours ago, Fabbo said:

@40somethingahjumma

Yeah i get all that. But in the end he can just keep his hands to himself and not be a creep. It's rather simple.

Not sure what you're referring to there @Fabbo. You're referring to Gyu Tae, I imagine from the sounds of things ;) . But I'm not sure what point that I made you were specifically addressing.

• Like 6

I will be mad if they make JR's wife bullied DB because she finds out about DB. DB suffers enough. 

Is DB's mom really has dementia or she is faking it? Is she the one who save DB during her encounter with Joker couple year ago. I feel like she is. 

Edited by Blackend
  • Like 8

16 hours ago, chibiusa said:

When camellia flowers' was confirmed as a total of 20 episodes. (We will end with 20*2=40 episodes)

Oh so that's why there are 20 episodes on Netflix. That's good to know. I hope they won't drag it out though. 

13 hours ago, Blackend said:

Is DB's mom really has dementia or she is faking it?

I don't think she's faking it because she has the bracelet that's given to the elderly with Alzheimer's or dementia.

• Like 8

October 8, 2019

"When the Camellia Blooms" is Korea's most buzzworthy TV series

Source: KangHaNeul.org via HanCinema.net

photo1108653.jpg

"When the Camellia Blooms" tops the list of the most buzzworthy TV series in Korea!

According to data analyst Good Data Corporation's weekly monitoring report, "When the Camellia Blooms" is the most talked about TV series in news articles, social media, blogs, forums and videos. A total of 25 currently airing and upcoming TV series from September 30 to October 6 were included in this analysis. 

Furthermore, "When the Camellia Blooms"' score increased by 47 percent compared to the previous week, breaking its own record and reaching the top of the list.  

"When the Camellia Blooms", a romcom thriller that stars Gong Hyo-jin as Dong Baek and Kang Ha-neul as Yong Sik has earned favorable reviews from netizens for its excellent blend of comedy and thriller. Many are also curious about the identity of Joker, the serial killer.  

The top TV series for the week are as follows:

""When the Camellia Blooms"" (KBS 2TV) – 12.52 percent "Strangers from Hell" (OCN) – 11.98 percent  "The Tale of Nokdu" (KBS 2TV) – 11.77 percent  "Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency" (JTBC) – 10.86 percent "Vagabond" (SBS) – 9.01 percent "My Country: The New Age" (JTBC) – 7.52 percent "Extraordinary You" (MBC) – 7.24 percent "Melting Me Softly" (tvN) – 3.96 percent "Pegasus Market" (tvN) – 3.65 percent "Graceful Family" (MBN) – 2.89 percent

photo1108651.jpg
"When the Camellia Blooms" premiered on 18 September and has consistently led national viewership ratings. The TV series is aired on Wednesdays and Thursdays on KBS 2TV in Korea. New episodes are released on Netflix right after its local broadcast. 

By Michelle

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We saw HS, the repairman, in the episode 7 again. He was the one who installed the CCTV. What caught my attention was that DB's mother criticized her daughter for giving him food for free. HS is now my main suspect. 

I am wondering why he is still focused on DB. 

I was happy that the lawyer decided to support DB and gave her good advice. In my opinion, with her help, she has another reason to change.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 3