[Drama 2019] The Banker, 더 뱅커

larus

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, seteney said:

Are these ratings considered average? I have no idea how that system works, but I still can say DP is doing outstanding.

think it is okayish for channel as in not great but not bad either. really low ratings is like 3ish percent but here it is close to 5%. looks like doctor prisoner is doing more well comparatively.. the theme is kind of boring on paper and so ratings do make sense. perhaps as there is word of mouth good reviews, more folks in korea will check it out? that happens a lot with human dramas that don't sound very gripping...

@lclarakl ~ yea I remembered you mentioning in previous threads that you were in the financial services and so I thought of you while tagging. would be interesting to hear an insider/industry perspective on the drama's concerns. hope you enjoy. :)

:lol:

That boy is the worst, I love him.

13 hours ago, Lmangla said:

think it is okayish for channel as in not great but not bad either. really low ratings is like 3ish percent but here it is close to 5%. looks like doctor prisoner is doing more well comparatively.. the theme is kind of boring on paper and so ratings do make sense. perhaps as there is word of mouth good reviews, more folks in korea will check it out? that happens a lot with human dramas that don't sound very gripping...

Thank you! Indeed, you never associate something fun or dynamic when it comes to banks, but I do hope they try this out. We have a pleasant lead you can cheer for and a proper storyline, what do I want more? ^_^

Watching Ep5:

- Ah, Seo got the job in No's bank, but was left penniless by his disappointed mother :lol:"If you leave this town you won't have kids. That is what the fortune teller told me." :rolleyes:

So a homeless and penniless Seo is then going to No for some days. Yay for forced bromance SeNo :D But no chauffeur for him

7IUGXqF.png

I like how Seo doesn't gets pampered and has to learn to grow up.

XUSXbhu.png

They crack me up ⁩..

Uh, there is a mole in the house who gives No some top secret infos. Everyone is getting nervous of course because No is this stubborn.

Now to Ep6:

I love how Seo worries for his boss and has a good instinct that something may have happened.

'Did he look like a curious yet charming man?' Aww.

Oh they are using him being an auditor against No, thanks to Seos blubber mouth. Making this out to be a big banker vs two victims, nevermind they were there to beat him up.

YAAASS finally Lee

R2oei7f.png

So President Lee was 'banished' from the Daehan central bank to a subsidiary.  Lee comes from a banker family and this family has lots to do with Daehan. He is bitter he was 'chased off' even though he thinks he has a right to sit at the higher ups table due his background and skills. Kang offers him to be his right hand to kick out certain people from the bank, nice.

I like Jang, she is a lil rebel ^_^ Okay, but how stupid can that Agency boss be and have a chat with those hired thugs?

I love how everyone stabs each other in the backs when the moment comes to climb the ladder.

Han feels backstabbed by Yook (and also No, who said he would have helped her if she knew something and tell him). Min gets fired by Yook after nothing was found in Hans office, thanks to her stocking skills :D He worked 20 years for Yook and has no family. This is was another nice thing to show, how an intense need for a higher career can stop you having those things. A warning made my Seos mother as well. Argh and yet Min still looks down on No :rolleyes:

CALL LEE HAE GON ❤ Kang knows how Lee is and yet brings him back, this shows how much he hates those phonies at the council table and he is so amused how blunt he is at his announcement.

Do: "The council memebers acted like they were sworn brothers, but I guess the relationship wasn't very deep. Mr Min got fired, yet how can you all look so well?"

Yook: "You wanted to be the sole female council member when you came to me, so I don't think that's something for you to say."

Whoopsie...

Lee is now Vice President "There are few familiar faces..I thought would be gone by now." They are all so catty, lmao.

As you can see, episode 6 had me more excited...

Onto ep7 ^_^

It begins again with Lee's grand speech, interrupted by No. I will call him No-Shame from now on :D No worries about a new reshuffle, because this will hurt again the small teller, not the big ones. Lee assures not only is this needed, but also that executives are not safe this time, looking at Yook :lol:

Yook plans a coup to bring down Kang as President, since he knows Kang plans to fire him with the help of Lee. Han has to decide on which team she will play. Team Kang, who supported a young Han vs Team Yook, who brought her into the higher circle. Han decides to be Team Yook eventually..but maybe with some other plan behind.

Moon Hong-Joo enters, the mole from episode 5, Team No is now complete, though Seo feels threatened by him, welp.

We also enter now into the story of a small, elderly manager, who gets offered - pushed - to early retirement aka dismissal.

Kang "It means they want me to quit."

Lee " Will you work a fourth year?"

Kang "I don't know."

Lee "Aim higher and give me your office."

Kang "You are still brutally straightforward."

Lee "And you are still sly and wily."

:lol:

Lmao Lee wrote that article about Kang's terms as President and told him so.

No meanwhile is fighting for Manager Kim Jung Sik, who was send into a camp for problematic employees to make them quit :blink:

Lee has some serious complex when it comes to 'undeserved careers' and verbally punched No, who knows himself he was chosen for some certain reason even though his branch was closed.

Team Yook is now trying to get more excecutives on their side to kick Kang out.

ZSzK1zW.png

The difference :D

Han is still miffed at No and shows him the cold shoulder. The small manager sik meanwhile is getting some immoral offer by the former agency ceo and Min, of course he rejects. And yet again, everything goes back to Yook.

Yook threatens No and also says after Kang, he will get also him ousted. Han knows the emergency meeting is fishy and urges Yook, who is sure he will replace Kang, to stop this for now. But the stubborn idiot won't aaaaaand he just went down, because Kang knew a month ago what Yook is planning to do and the executives played to be on his side. Not only is Yook fired (and charged), but everyone who was behind him. Lee loooooves and enjoys this :D

Whoaaa, plot twist. I mean Yook said Kang was putting all the blame on him, but pühhhhh

aCoCGDo.png

Kang also made Yook shush with Yooks sons who work in the same bank, both were made high managers by Kang. So basically if Yook spills the beans, and Yook was about to do that to No before Kang called him, those sons get thrown out. Yook warns No not to trust Kang too much.

dodNcYj.gif

Aaaaand the professor who sat with Kang, the politician and the other dude at the table, was made part of the government :ph34r:

Two bankers, two different endings

2o7qeVP.png

Okay, we should have not expected Kang to be the pure goodie, but welp.

2 hours ago, seteney said:

- Ah, Seo got the job in No's bank, but was left penniless by his disappointed mother :lol:"If you leave this town you won't have kids. That is what the fortune teller told me." :rolleyes:

So a homeless and penniless Seo is then going to No for some days. Yay for forced bromance SeNo :D But no chauffeur for him

kekekek.... found those scenes really funny. it is funny that at first it looked like bo geul will be set up with teller jin but then he is flirting with secretary also. guess, he is just single. but his relationship with auditor noh is hilarious. found it so funny and cute how the news article has a picture of him jumping like a goalie to try hide auditor noh's face. LOL.

but the veteran actors seem to be really having a ball of a time in this drama -- guess these sort of roles don't come too often to them... and did anyone notice there was a piano and a massage chair in chairman kang's office? can understand the massage chair (PPL) but why on earth is there a piano in a bank chairman's office? :sweatingbullets:

16 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

kekekek.... found those scenes really funny. it is funny that at first it looked like bo geul will be set up with teller jin but then he is flirting with secretary also. guess, he is just single. but his relationship with auditor noh is hilarious. found it so funny and cute how the news article has a picture of him jumping like a goalie to try hide auditor noh's face. LOL.

but the veteran actors seem to be really having a ball of a time in this drama -- guess these sort of roles don't come too often to them... and did anyone notice there was a piano and a massage chair in chairman kang's office? can understand the massage chair (PPL) but why on earth is there a piano in a bank chairman's office? :sweatingbullets:

Seo is a bit selfish and annoying, but in that world he has to be a bit. Him being uber loyal and worrying for his boss, may prevent him from becoming a Min 2.0.

His flirtations are so desperate :D

Oh I agree, in general this show is very oldschool, including music. I like to watch older actors in main roles for a change. 

A piano shows being 'cultivated' while thinking how to destroy people.

10 hours ago, seteney said:

Two bankers, two different endings

Okay, we should have not expected Kang to be the pure goodie, but welp. 

yea it was actually kind of sad to see yook so beaten but it makes me wonder if it is the last we will see of him. perhaps he will pop up again further down? and kang is really proving to be a wily sly fox but to what end? it is obvious that he can't keep being president.. so what exactly does he want? a spring board into politics? and it is not clear if he thought auditor noh will be a kind of puppet and help him get rid of people he doesn't like... looks like kang really likes to play chess type mind games..

2 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

The biscuit/cookie that President Kang was eating or had it in his mouth while playing Chinese chess (象棋, in Korean Janggi -장기  將棋) is Gyeongju Hwangnam Bbang (황남빵)

is this the one filled with red beans? sweet or sour?

On 3/31/2019 at 7:31 PM, gerrytan8063 said:

@irilight

"to the rescue.. Thank you very much ! "

I have watch the Japanese adaption version "Auditor Nozaki Shuhei (監査役野崎修平, Kansayaku Nozaki Shuhei )" last year, although the Korean drama supposed to have been based on the manga series from the said title but since have adopted a Korean twist. Noh Tae Gu, Silver Olympic Medalist in Shooting & able to fence with an umbrella

oops.....i wish I had read your post earlier. I regretted diving into the Japanese version.....I couldn't stomach the first episode because the atmosphere was too much like Shiroi Kyoto.It also spoils the fun of watching the Korean version. :crazy:

8 hours ago, Lmangla said:

yea it was actually kind of sad to see yook so beaten but it makes me wonder if it is the last we will see of him. perhaps he will pop up again further down? and kang is really proving to be a wily sly fox but to what end? it is obvious that he can't keep being president.. so what exactly does he want? a spring board into politics? and it is not clear if he thought auditor noh will be a kind of puppet and help him get rid of people he doesn't like... looks like kang really likes to play chess type mind games..

I didn't feel bad for him till the call from Kang regarding the sons, there where I wanted slap Kang. Yook, a nepotist himself, did everything to save terrible relatives, did favours to them, but this move from Kang was quite something else. Also good performance by the actor in the post-defeat scenes. Hm, maybe he will be relevant later, some chat between him and No in the jail?

No is so naive when it comes to Kang :crazy: Kang most certainly knows how to manipulate, but Han showed herself to be not under his spell 100% since she stayed at Yooks side.

@Lmangla

"is this the one filled with red beans? sweet or sour?"

Yes with red bean & it is sweet, the cookies a thin crispy crust (sort like a shortbread) with dense filling of red bean

@Blizzardistkaputt

"oops.....i wish I had read your post earlier. I regretted diving into the Japanese version.....I couldn't stomach the first episode because the atmosphere was too much like Shiroi Kyoto.It also spoils the fun of watching the Korean version."

Characters in the Korean drama have defer from the Japanese counterpart. What I am curious is whether President Kang's character will differentiate as it seems too also have defer vastly from the Japanese counterpart

On 4/6/2019 at 11:11 AM, gerrytan8063 said:

Characters in the Korean drama have defer from the Japanese counterpart. What I am curious is whether President Kang's character will differentiate as it seems too also have defer vastly from the Japanese counterpart

I think the Korean President Kang nails the intended demeanour of the character. Awesome. Kim Sang Joong played that kind of character previously with great charisma but it wasn't difficult to guess his intentions then.

They should call this drama, The Fox and the Weasel. maybe the ratings will go up. "The Banker" sounds so sleepy. 

On 4/6/2019 at 8:58 AM, katakwasabi said:

Ost part 2 with lyrics

the lyrics certainly pack a punch. "what is the truth? what is the lie? the choice is yours"... and interesting the song itself is titled "justice". so definitely unusual theme for a ost. but any idea if there is a korean version of this song? seemed kind of odd the whole song is sung in english....

On 4/6/2019 at 8:41 AM, gerrytan8063 said:

what was kang like in the jdrama? here, we have no idea how to interpret his actions. makes me think that it would be super stressful working for someone like him because one never knows what will happen. the only truth is that he is looking out for himself for sure..

On 4/6/2019 at 7:00 AM, katakwasabi said:

This duo is funny. Mr Noh is at a lost when it comes to mama boy, he can be so unpredictable.

love seo gul. he is such a cutie and adds that right kind of humour. love that despite how stupid he can be, he is also pretty smart and also quite loyal. loved his football goalie jump in the police station. hehehe... the IT guy still doesn't have much of a personality. hopefully we will see more of him later?

On 4/6/2019 at 5:25 AM, seteney said:

I didn't feel bad for him till the call from Kang regarding the sons, there where I wanted slap Kang. Yook, a nepotist himself, did everything to save terrible relatives, did favours to them, but this move from Kang was quite something else. Also good performance by the actor in the post-defeat scenes. Hm, maybe he will be relevant later, some chat between him and No in the jail?

yea, it was the post defeat yook that made me feel kind of sorry for him. it looks like seomin distribution isn't even a mistake that he did but something he got assigned to do from kang. so he basically loses and can't even defend himself. will his sons pop up later since they are still in the bank?

On 4/5/2019 at 7:11 AM, seteney said:

Lee comes from a banker family and this family has lots to do with Daehan. He is bitter he was 'chased off' even though he thinks he has a right to sit at the higher ups table due his background and skills. Kang offers him to be his right hand to kick out certain people from the bank, nice.

by the way, does anyone get president lee yet? am not sure I understand what his agenda is. he seemed very reluctant to come back unless kang made him VP.... even though they are on different sides, it makes me wonder if auditor noh and president lee will join hands?

5 minutes ago, Blizzardistkaputt said:

They should call this drama, The Fox and the Weasel. maybe the ratings will go up. "The Banker" sounds so sleepy.  

great choice for a title! definitely more would have watched. banker does indeed sound super boring! :D

the IT guy still doesn't have much of a personality. hopefully we will see more of him later?

Would be fun if he was a mole for Kang to inform him about the auditors work, because after all he just appeared out of nowhere and had everyone wrapped around his finger, except Seo (half jealousy, half instinct?) :ph34r:

Just a theory, but I would not die on this hill :lol:

yea, it was the post defeat yook that made me feel kind of sorry for him. it looks like seomin distribution isn't even a mistake that he did but something he got assigned to do from kang. so he basically loses and can't even defend himself. will his sons pop up later since they are still in the bank?

Yook after Kangs move

EAZCqF8.gif

I kind of doubt they make an apparence, or only very short. One of the sons wrote him "I won't ashame you" and then his father gets arrested. He is also morally defeated due Kang willingly sacrificing a familys bond :crazy:

by the way, does anyone get president lee yet? am not sure I understand what his agenda is. he seemed very reluctant to come back unless kang made him VP.... even though they are on different sides, it makes me wonder if auditor noh and president lee will join hands?

Lee wanted first of all the order restored, he sees himself as rightful heir to the bank and says so to Kang. He is brutally honest about his opinions and morals and is letting everyone know, so would he hide some agenda?  I wouldn't rule this out. So far for Kangs plans, Lee can't get rid of No yet, as he is still useful for Kang. But I do also wonder if at some point Lee and No are on the same side, just how and why? No will eventually understand that Kang is a two faced man, Yook warned him already so he needs to take the hint. Lee may not be happy about the agency thing as well as it could hurt the banks image if it comes out. Possible conflict then between Lee and No, but also Lee having to budge. Oh all the possibilites :lol:

Archived