[Drama 2019] The Banker, 더 뱅커

larus

I am sorry guys that I cannot watch this drama with you.  The first two episodes were great; however, Vicki has the other episodes locked for at least a year, by then, I doubt if I remember to go back to watch the show.  What a pity.

I do have a membership, but not the deluxe membership and I am not inclined, at this time,  to put out the extra money each month.  It is the same for Item.  I do not trust many other streaming sites; therefore, I have to deal with what is.  

Happy watching all.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On to episode 9

It starts with my future husband Lee entering the building, crowded by employees, very smiley, since he finally got the position he thinks he deserves by nature and that he is able to do the overhaul without mercy.

mGgSfgu.png

Some man looks at him with shock, disdain? Anyway, he is not happy Lee is back.

Seo sleeps in the office in a tent :lol: Guess No and his daughter had enough of him and he was thrown out.

eUtDS7h.png

Creeping on Moon, because he sits in Seos expensive chair lmao.

The man who looked at Lee, works for Do and tries to get her to have Yooks job, which is now vacant. But she won't hear this, unless it isn't offered by Kang himself.

Han is still mad at No and she is unhappy because she is all alone now. Gotta say, No is a very nice man, but his pursuit to gain the truth let him forget that Han is also a human being.
Anyway, No asks her again why his branche was closed, even though a far worse wasn't. She says it had all to do with the Yook and Do rivalry and her branches were targeted. But No says his old branche had nothing to do with Do though, and she replies that it doesn't matter, because the higher ups are deciding the criteria in the end.

No and his team are now looking deeper into Seomin Distribution, that had the same director like Seomin Agency, which was closed, because No believes the answer about the branch closings is there.

Cut to the four old men, who boast about their power and wealth like some comicbook villains lol. Kang is again not easily read and does his digs

WxYjp7G.png

That Jung Soo-Chan is such a twerp and pushy and it seems he and Kang won't get along. Jung tries to bring in some unemployed youth into the bank and pushes Kang to 'gift' Park Jin-Ho new employees for his bank, which is atm under reshuffle and in no need for new staff. But Jung thinks he can go through with it and calls someone who has an unemployed daughter and offers her a jo a the bank, even though he has no justification. The reason for this push is a bill he is about to announce.

Meanwhile on her way to work, Jang Mi-Ho sees an old granny who is holding a poster 'denouncing' the bank for its loans.

Secretary Kim, Kangs man, watches how bank employees gather around Lee to switch onto his team.

Jung writes Kang a thank you message for 'his support' which Kangs reads with rolling eyes, I imagine he wants to stab this dude :rolleyes: Just do it...

Kangs gets a call by Shin Sang Cheol of the Judiciary Commitee and he heard from Jung that Kangs bank is planning an expensive extensive new employee recruitment. Kang is obviously taken by surprise and this is the first time one sees him like that. He replies it is still reviewed only and hangs up on him :vicx:

There is now a meeting with all the big bank bosses and Park Jin-Ho, who also now pressures Kang to recruit new people.

Kang is now cornered and calls Do, who is already hot for Yooks job :D He flatters he with many compliments and wants her to work with Shin and give her the position of general director of HR. He also wants her to plan the new emploee recruitment :phew: Yeah, this has to be such a trap, only a thirsty person like Do will fall for it.

Lee pratically wants to do everything and also head the HR 'to be effective'. Kang is not amused about Lee's ambition and low key fears he has to take responsibilities, if he gives Lee his back. If Lee manages everything, someone else has to manage HR at least. Kang tells him he offered the HR job to Do and Lee replies what if he won't accept that. Kang answers "The monk must leave the temple he dislikes" -_- It's now war between the two.

In the now reduced commitee meeting, Do is announced as HR director. Her assistant is a big doofus and Do wants Han in her team.

End of Ep9.

You can sum up the episode as: Schemes, schemes and more schemes.

Ep 10

Do offered Han to be in her team which Han declines, because a) Do is already her superior and b) she just doesn't wants to work with Do more closely.

Han gets of course a dig again "Oh, your office is so dull, you should get flowers. Or do you think YOU are the flower?"

Han calls her out by saying how someone like Do, who is in such a high position with many duties, has no manners. Do is of course uber offended :P

Seo meanwhile has to go through old dusty archives of the corporate account registrations from Gongju Branch. In one map he had to find, one paper was missing, so the digital and paper copy are gone.

However, our little dingo is a smart one and found an answer to find a clue through a potatoe seller :D

He finds out were the bank throws old paper and documents away and goes through the trash now and finds conveniently an open box with documents. Lmao Seo and his long show and it ended with: him not finding what they wanted, but still finds out how careless the bank is with important documents.

He finally gets called MR. Seo by No :lol: He sends his 'field manager' back to the trash place to find more lmao, now he feels bullied.

Nos chauffeurs daughter got through the new screening for the employee recruitment and is now a candidate.

The old protesting ladys case is now discussed by Team No. The employees and people in charge of the branche where the lady had her loan from, all retired or were replaced some years ago. No wants to talk the lady now and her wish an apology by the one who did the loan.

Meanwhile Do is way too cocky as HR boss and offends the General Manager of the HR by excluding him from the interviews. When he hears everyone is hired, he smells corruption and runs to No. Do is of course not happy about this, as I think she will get the consequences out of this.

Sk6HKOd.png

End of ep10

Teaser for ep11/12. I think we don't need subtitles to know that Do fell right into the trap and is dismissed by Kang.

8 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

0:56 Parody scene taken from "The Ring" famous "crawling scene"

ah, that was what it was... was wondering what they were making fun of...

14 hours ago, seteney said:

Nos chauffeurs daughter got through the new screening for the employee recruitment and is now a candidate.

The old protesting ladys case is now discussed by Team No. The employees and people in charge of the branche where the lady had her loan from, all retired or were replaced some years ago. No wants to talk the lady now and her wish an apology by the one who did the loan.

the poor driver, he was so excited that he got a handbag for his kiddo and then to face such disappointment... but it felt like Do is sort of getting her comeuppance because she is so rude. if she hadn't ticked off the general manager of HR by excluding him, he may have kept quiet even if he was confused by what's going on. since he is not involved, it sort of frees him to question it more freely...

14 hours ago, seteney said:

Do offered Han to be in her team which Han declines, because a) Do is already her superior and b) she just doesn't wants to work with Do more closely.

han plays by her own rules which is fun to watch. am wondering what her future role will be as drama progresses... and we are not seeing enough of president lee, don't you think?

15 hours ago, seteney said:

That Jung Soo-Chan is such a twerp and pushy and it seems he and Kang won't get along. Jung tries to bring in some unemployed youth into the bank and pushes Kang to 'gift' Park Jin-Ho new employees for his bank, which is atm under reshuffle and in no need for new staff. But Jung thinks he can go through with it and calls someone who has an unemployed daughter and offers her a jo a the bank, even though he has no justification. The reason for this push is a bill he is about to announce.

that jung really feels quite insufferable no? but I don't get how he manages to give so much input into a bank that he is not even part of. why is he in sense bullying kang to do something? and what is with that secret club? and were they eating salmon? it seemed like such way too much food for 4 old men....

4 hours ago, Lmangla said:

the poor driver, he was so excited that he got a handbag for his kiddo and then to face such disappointment...

Yes :tears:

And it's also so hard to watch your hardworking childs dream shattered.

5 hours ago, Lmangla said:

but it felt like Do is sort of getting her comeuppance because she is so rude. if she hadn't ticked off the general manager of HR by excluding him, he may have kept quiet even if he was confused by what's going on. since he is not involved, it sort of frees him to question it more freely...

Indeed, like Han already said, the woman has no manners at all and her behaviour was uncalled for. Do is certainly smart, but too greedy and this is why she is doomed.

han plays by her own rules which is fun to watch. am wondering what her future role will be as drama progresses... and we are not seeing enough of president lee, don't you think?

She is a quick learner and surely she will be wanted for her skills very soon by the big bosses.

Yeah, we - I - don't get enough Lee -_-

that jung really feels quite insufferable no? but I don't get how he manages to give so much input into a bank that he is not even part of. why is he in sense bullying kang to do something? and what is with that secret club? and were they eating salmon? it seemed like such way too much food for 4 old men....

I think he manages this due the fact they all do favors for each other, so are somehow pressured to return 'gifts' :lol:

I don't know who this Choi Jong-Soo is out of the four, but the others represent important institutions and how corruptions among them is tied together.

Episode 11

Do gets a call from Shin Sang Cheol of the Judiciary Commitee and thanks her for his daughter getting a job in the bank. He promises to return the favour, but she is very nervous because of Nos investigation.

32 people made it into the final interview, out of them 8 passed with 'help', the rest were able to pass even without the changed cut lines.

No wants this solved because he smells nepotism at works and of course this being unfair to people who were disqualified for no reason.

GXfWmZr.png

Loved his reaction at No getting loud for a change :lol:

Mr. Kim from the HR, who works with No at the case does this by also handing out his resignation, because he knows it will be a huge scandal. He recommends Do to do this as well, but in her case it will be worse. Btw the actress is excellent in her role, I have so much fun at her meltdown :D

No gives a lecture in responsibility and how he would quit to save his employees and take the heat. :relieved: Do only laughs, calling it empty words, also says he is a traitor for saying a corrupted bank deserves to close, even if it's Daehan Bank. One of the old dudes calling her crazy though lmao.

[Btw again, I wished the soundtrack was a tad better, one of the few criticisms I have about the show. It doesn't needs to be dramatic like Secret Forests ost, but it needs to be a bit heavier imo. I like one, two tracks though.]

Do runs like crazy to Kang and falls on her way to him, how fitting to her upcoming fall from grace. She feels backstabbed by Kang who reminds her of the auditors legal job and dismisses her. Also she accuses him rightly of trapping her, he denies any of this and accuses her of being corrupt by doing a favour for Shin, even though HE gave her the number. Phew, he is really mean, like we knew what his plan was, but chill....

rBT3dKP.png

Lee amused as heck about Do's downfall.

Do tells Han she never hated her, she resented that she worked for Yook and not her. The way Yook warned No, Do warns Han now of Kang and also she should be beware of No, who thinks he has Kangs back. She also wants Han to become the President of the bank - seriously, where was her solidarity all the time? I get it, she wanted this job in the end, but oh well, at least we know who we should route for now :lol:.

Han was called by Kang into his office and when she hears this calls a reporter. She then goes to Kang and tells him if they disclose the corruption first, it will be better, because rumours will go around anyway and they should show they take it serious. The secretary just shakes his head by her initiative, but Kang says he is impressed.

XKWgNbN.png

I wonder who is the next banker to be in court? Probably Lee and hopefully Kang in the end...

The chauffeurs daughter is now a final candidate ^_^

Jung is mad as heck at Kang, but Kang says its his own problem and he is a petulant child.

Omg this old men scene is funny as heck, they are all like little children.

Lee smells that the pr for the bank came from Han, not Kang and goes into her office and is being a lil jerk. Like Do, he also warns of Kang.

Kang meanwhile goes to the auditors room (because his secretary recommend No for one of the two picks for something Kang plans) to see No and co, but they aren't there except the two old dudes who are hilarious. They play lottery with small wins and those win is the money for the luch "I only won 5 dollars, but you want to eat a 15 dollar chicken soup?" Rich people be like :rolleyes::lol:

Kang sees the report about the old lady protestor and he seems to be unsettled about it.

End of ep11.

Ep12

Kang is such a weirdo when he fakes being funny...
The director at the branch the lady protests tells No that something was weird, telling him about a rumour of a redevelopment of the area. It didn't happen though and if it happened, they wouldn't have needed the loan.
The loan was given to build a building, but why would she get one on a property that is goind to redeveloped? Also the loan was bigger than a possible collateral.
Kangs secretary also sees the report about the branch in question. This seems to be a very serious thing to Kang, since it could take Daehan Bank down. Uh oh, first obstacle for No..
No is meeting the teller who gave the lady the loan, but he refuse to tell about the process and so on, since he has no good memories of the time at Daehan. He wants to leave, when No tells him about the lady's husband who died and her arrested son. The man is moved, but won't go visit the lady to apology. Seems the whole scheme hurt a lot of people, including tellers.
Lee meanwhile is in a bar with reporters and is quite the party boy lmao. A reporter approaches him and they talk. The mans junior was invited by Lee and set up a meeting for his boss and him. Seems the man has some infos, Lee dismisses him with a grin, but the man comes up with infos about who backs Kang. Lee is a bit too arrogant, thinking he doesn't needs those infos. The reporter still gives him a name, Bae Dong Seok from Seomin Policy Institute, who would be likely one to stab Lee in the back. Lee laughs into his face and the reporter leaves - of course this could be a trap by the reporter, we will see. When he left, Lee comes back to his mind and saves the info.
Kang offers Han the old position of Do as HR Director and she thinks of Lee's warning not to accept Kangs offer outright, as he calls them poisonous. Also Kang likes to test people. Han excuses herself for not experienced and good enough yet for such a position. The secretary says that this was unexpected and Kang calls her wise, who hopes she wasn't played by him.
Lee does a visit to Bae

E9uuR7J.png

But he tells Bae to get his hands off the bank, as long he is there he won't accept abnormalities. Bae is not amused and I think NOW he will certainly do something against Lee, who didn't know some seconds ago and still doesn't who he is. He calls Kangs secretary and asks him if he sent someone to him. The secretary thinks for some reason it is No..oh my..The dude is involved in the D1 plan, Kang warned shall not be revealed by No. The secretary had assured him first that this was a simple civil complain, but now that he hears from Bae someone came to him and warned to stop doing whatever he is doing with the bank. Bae will deal with No now..
The teller sits in a street restaurant and remembers the old lady's husband from the restaurant back then and starts to cry. So the restaurant did well, but the diretor of the branche wanted the teller to have them a loan, so the teller 'reaches his loan target'. He was obviously too naive and did that. He goes to the hospital to apologize in the middle of the night. Ok here come the tears...
After he apologized he wans to tell No now of the plans: a private enterprise was put in charge of a large-scale development plan. If it had been revealed, the price of the land would have skyrocket. So over the time small parcels were bought by corporate bodies and the developer of this was Seomin Finance. An obstacle were the owner in the middle of the area, who refused to sell the land. The old lady's restaurant building was purchased by the developer by pressure. And thus they used the loan scheme, the couple built a budiling but no one moved in. Of course the couple couldn't pay the loan back and their land was auctioned off, because it was used as colleteral. But then rumours came out about the plans and the developers and those who are behind it

9fjbWf8.png

had to pay much more and somehow they own the land, but not the building the lady still owns.

Argh they burned down the lady's building and No is really mad now. :angry:

RgTPFO3.png

End of ep12

Teaser for ep13/14

Episode 11

From 2:39, you will hear President Kang yelling at the FSS Director Park in the Gyeongju Dialect or Gyeongsangbuk-do province, although the most commonly wide known from Gyeongsang province is the Busan dialect which is in Gyeongsangnam-do province

People from this region tend to speak in strong & aggressive tone moreover when it comes to yelling, standard Korean would not do

Hey, ratings raised. ♥ It is getting more intense now, so hopefully they see even better ratings. 

19 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

People from this region tend to speak in strong & aggressive tone moreover when it comes to yelling, standard Korean would not do

Even I felt attacked :lol:

On 4/8/2019 at 10:56 AM, Carmarie said:

I am sorry guys that I cannot watch this drama with you.  The first two episodes were great; however, Vicki has the other episodes locked for at least a year, by then, I doubt if I remember to go back to watch the show.  What a pity.

I do have a membership, but not the deluxe membership and I am not inclined, at this time,  to put out the extra money each month.  It is the same for Item.  I do not trust many other streaming sites; therefore, I have to deal with what is.  

Happy watching all.

@Carmarie, I am in the same boat with Viki, but I find out that they actually update the thread with 100% subbed episodes the same evening. So far,  anyway. I think tonight I was able to watch the episodes over dinner, so not too late.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The Banker" Kim Tae-woo Completely Transforms From Previous Characters

photo1052465.jpg

Actor Kim Tae-woo ("Rampant", "Secret Mother") has transformed.

Recently in the tvN drama "Romance is a Bonus Book", he played Kim Jae-min an optimistic character, but in the current MBC drama "The Banker", he is a stone-cold charismatic character, Lee Hae-gon, the deputy chairman.

Lee Hae-gon is an elite superior who forges his own path to create a new bank. He draws attention to himself with his flambuoyant personality.

"Romance is a Bonus Book" was said to have been a chance to rediscover Kim Tae-woo as it wasn't easy to see the comical side of him. However, his character is the complete opposite in "The Banker".

Anticipation rose when he first appeared with a serious aura about him and interacted intensely with Noh Dae-ho (Kim Sang-joong) and Kang Sam-do (Yoo Dong-geun).

Even at the premiere of the drama, he said his character was not the bad guy, but just someone who's developed under pressure and the resulting personality can cause others some discomfort.

"The Banker" which can be seen every Wednesday and Thursday at 10 PM KST.

source

12 hours ago, irilight said:

Even at the premiere of the drama, he said his character was not the bad guy, but just someone who's developed under pressure and the resulting personality can cause others some discomfort.

I didn't know he said that, because he is right. One thought he is the baddie, but especially in the last two episodes you get to know him better. He is a snob and arrogant, yes, but also hardworking. Who is now revealed as the bad one (so far, because there seems to be a group of secret baddies) is Kang, with him throwing people under the bus, suddenly also being confronted with his fiery side, having no qualms about crushing small people, dealing with criminals and so on.

I hope Lee, No and Han will team up and Han will become the President in the end, because I can't see Lee as the winner here. But I can comfort you, Lee

TiIRIxW.png

8 hours ago, seteney said:
20 hours ago, irilight said:

I didn't know he said that, because he is right. One thought he is the baddie, but especially in the last two episodes you get to know him better. He is a snob and arrogant, yes, but also hardworking. Who is now revealed as the bad one (so far, because there seems to be a group of secret baddies) is Kang, with him throwing people under the bus, suddenly also being confronted with his fiery side, having no qualms about crushing small people, dealing with criminals and so on.

I hope Lee, No and Han will team up and Han will become the President in the end, because I can't see Lee as the winner here. But I can comfort you, Lee

it is interesting to see how professional lives play a part in shaping our character. it was great to get some insight into Do -- she wanted so much to break the glass ceiling that she was willing to cut corners, be rude and push people.

Lee was quite awesome this week -- the way he walked into the seomin finance and declared that they need to stop messing with the bank -- ooh, that was pretty cool! too bad, they thought it was auditor noh. hehehehe.... and even his interactions with that mysterious freelance reporter was rather intriguing to watch -- he is drunk but he needs to quickly think on his feet and the way, he plugs in the detail in his phone in case he gets mixed up! lots of good mystery moments in a corporate drama!

23 minutes ago, seteney said:

Done ♡

Yeah, more need to watch, it's getting better and better with each episode.

yea, it really is getting better. the problem is with the title and the rather boring premise of the drama which hides how interesting and well-written it is... makes it seem like it is just a workplace drama.. honestly, sometimes, who wants to watch the same office politics that one faces in the workplace? ... 

this drama was a bit of random watch for me and so I am really surprised (in good way) that it looks like it is going to be a full blown corporate/political scandal with lots of implications which makes it really fascinating to watch.

24 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

it is interesting to see how professional lives play a part in shaping our character. it was great to get some insight into Do -- she wanted so much to break the glass ceiling that she was willing to cut corners, be rude and push people.

I especially loved this after Han telling her how rude she is :lol: And welp, how she went nuts. But this was years of suppressed anger it seems, so much she got a twitch. I would have thrown a shoe at Kang, she would have been prosecuted anyway...

Lee was quite awesome this week -- the way he walked into the seomin finance and declared that they need to stop messing with the bank -- ooh, that was pretty cool! too bad, they thought it was auditor noh. hehehehe.... and even his interactions with that mysterious freelance reporter was rather intriguing to watch -- he is drunk but he needs to quickly think on his feet and the way, he plugs in the detail in his phone in case he gets mixed up! lots of good mystery moments in a corporate drama!

Yes, we saw many shades of him tjanFBb.gif

Welp, not only No got accused, Lees action made that thuggish developer burn the old lady's building. The question is how Lee will proceed now with the case since Kang is in this scheme. He most likely doesn't approves, but since he wants to be President can't risk this to be exposed and thus the bank ruined.

yea, it really is getting better. the problem is with the title and the rather boring premise of the drama which hides how interesting and well-written it is... makes it seem like it is just a workplace drama.. honestly, sometimes, who wants to watch the same office politics that one faces in the workplace? ... 

I agree, also add that an older main cast will be most likely dismissed as not exciting enough. But they all do a fine job, especially Kang, who is sooooo shady and lowkey malicious.

this drama was a bit of random watch for me and so I am really surprised (in good way) that it looks like it is going to be a full blown corporate/political scandal with lots of implications which makes it really fascinating to watch.

Yook and Do were just small fishes compared to the people who are behind the scheme and we have yet to meet.

Archived