[Drama 2018] A Promise with the Gods, 신과의 약속

0ly40

Hello  everyone 

It has taken me a while to comment in this thread because of how intense this drama is. This drama is good but I still felt the need to fast forward some scenes. 

As @qynn said Na Kyung is the worst. But it seems without this type of character, this would not be a kdrama. This woman is very selfish and greedy. I am also confused by her Intentions towards Joon Seo. I sometimes wonder does she love him or love what he stand for. She say she is cared, she understand JS’s birth mom’s pain but then she goes behind the woman back and tried to take away her son. She already has one son and now she wants the other one.  We all know she will take

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/7/2019 at 5:25 AM, zenya22 said:

I think that maybe this drama is turning to be not the typical kdrama male lead and female lead happily ever after? Rather is the blossoming of true lasting love between 2 people like the characters of Min Ho and Ji Young who understand each other while going through hard decisions and dilemmas in married and family life such as sickness in children, breaking of promises and then hearts, love of parent/child not related through blood but through nurture and betrayal and revenge. Will there be healing and forgiveness, realizations and letting go vs revenge and betrayal? 

@zenya22... I love what you wrote. I don’t think HW’a mom loves Min Ho. I see a woman who is greatful to her husband for being her greatest support and love. I see she is still in love with her ex husband but can never be with him because that would make her a terrible person. Min Ho was a great father to HW and HW loves him. Another reason leaving him would be a bad idea. I don’t think HW’s parent will be together when she is being sued for cheating on her husband with ex husband.  Her husband was in the plaintiff section when she was in court. 

I don’t know how to feel about Min Ho. For some reason I don’t like his character because he is so silent. He gives in to what HW and HW’s mom want . He doesn’t even ask for anything. When he heard she was going back to work, it took for HW’s reason to make the dad see that his mom cares way to much about him and doesn’t have a life. 

This drama is rocking!! In episodes 25 and 26, the adults started to mend their long held heartbreaks, regrets and sorrows to forgiveness and seem to want to move on with their lives. But it was just the calm before the storm because Na Kyung can't just help herself and just keeps on shooting at her feet. She is like a bottomless pit who will never be content, no matter how much she tries to fill that pit. She could have left Jae Hee and her son alone. They are part of the family too and trying to contribute to the company. But NK has to mess with her sister in law because she does not want to share, she wants it all, the glory, the money, the status. She did not have to try and rob Ji Young of her life as Ji Young already said she wants to do what is best for the children. She did not have to insult Min Ho with that real estate "reward" because Min Ho loved his family and knew how much his wife suffered. She could have just taken and appreciated what she already has, be a good mother to Jeon Soo, be understanding and supportive of her husband instead of trying to steal his role in the family business and maybe Jae Wook would have learned to love her. She could have told Ji Young of Hyun Weo's bruises and maybe Ji Young would have trusted her with Jeon Seo. But no, she had to ruin everything for herself by making enemies of everyone.

I think that even if Jae Hee learned of the "secret" she would not have used it against Na Kyung for the sake of her brother and kept the secret her secret weapon use as necessary by which time Na Kyung could have gained her trust and support because Jae Hee is also a mother. Now, grandpa Kim knows and hyterics from NK intensifies. 

I am so glad that Jae Wook did not get to Min Ho firsr before he went to speak to grandpa Kim and I hope that it will be found out that NK knew about the bruises and nosebleed of HW and kept it a secret, even when she consulted a doctor about it. I hope they find out about the diet list given to the cook and see if it was the same list that JY gave her.

10 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

I don’t think HW’a mom loves Min Ho. I see a woman who is greatful to her husband for being her greatest support and love. I see she is still in love with her ex husband but can never be with him because that would make her a terrible person. Min Ho was a great father to HW and HW loves him. Another reason leaving him would be a bad idea. I don’t think HW’s parent will be together when she is being sued for cheating on her husband with ex husband.  Her husband was in the plaintiff section when she was in court. 

I don’t know how to feel about Min Ho. For some reason I don’t like his character because he is so silent. He gives in to what HW and HW’s mom want . He doesn’t even ask for anything. When he heard she was going back to work, it took for HW’s reason to make the dad see that his mom cares way to much about him and doesn’t have a life. 

I think that Ji Young is still in love with the Jae Wook she was in love with before he cheated on her. She still keeps that memory of him after all Hyun Weo is the result of that "in love" happening. She chose to keep and still in love with the memory of the man she was once "in love" with. Yes, she is grateful for Min Ho's love and protection but I don't believe that one can stay with someone that long and not learn to love them and appreciate their presence in your life even while keeping sweet memories of a once grand passionate love. In the movie I mentioned earlier posts, Bridges of Madison County, there were discussion blogs about the decision of Francesca to stay with her husband and not elope with Robert. Some agreed and defended her decision and some disagreed and thought that the right decision for her was to follow her heart leave her children and her husband who saved her from the poor life of her hometown which was bombed after the war and gave her a better life and loved her as his bride but the husband like Min Ho was quiet, reliable and did not inspire grand passion.  Husband vs Robert. We each have different way of looking at the characters viewpoints. In this case, grand passionate love cheated on JY and married the woman he cheated with after 3 months, consented to a divorce and never fought for his child or woman. JY married to stable, reliable and faithful man while still in love with a "memory" of her grand passion. For me, ditch the memory and appreciate what is presenting at the moment, a real life love. 

20 hours ago, zenya22 said:

Husband vs Robert. We each have different way of looking at the characters viewpoints. In this case, grand passionate love cheated on JY and married the woman he cheated with after 3 months, consented to a divorce and never fought for his child or woman. JY married to stable, reliable and faithful man while still in love with a "memory" of her grand passion. For me, ditch the memory and appreciate what is presenting at the moment, a real life love. 

Welll said chingu  @zenya22 The Bridges of Madison County seems like my type of movie. I don't think i saw this movie thanks for recommendation. I think I understand why Francesca stayed with her husband. SHe had kids, her husband was dependable and he loved her. I too would defend her . lol :heart:

Jae Wook only married Na Kyung so she can drop the charges against his ex mother in Law. We all saw Na Kyung miscaring but she put the blame on JY's mom and had her arrested. I really wished this would be revelaed but it won't. He was forced to marry Na Kyung. This was revealed in episode 14 to 15. JY's mom told her this and she almost ran to him. Luckily hubby called her and reminded her of his existence. He would have never married her and JW never had a affair with NA Kyung. My theory on JW and NK. This guy (Ji Do-Yeob ) he helped Na Kyung trap Jae Wook. The night of her child conception was the night JW was very drunk ( couldn't stand or think straight). THis richard simmons left his drunk friend with this skank ( I apologize ) for all these bad word but Na Kyung reallly richard simmons me offffff. She is disgustingggggg.  :rage: She is never satisfied and her marriage is very unhappy but she is always puting JY as the problem in her marriage. She is so frustrating...... She doesn't realize she is the problem and always fighting with him. She wants to monitor him 24/7 and refuses to let him breathe. She is also the reason he lost his son in the first place. Her life has been way better than JY since the moment her relationship with JW came out. THis woman is willing to do everything she wants to make sure she gets JW's company for herself. She feels she is owed it for all her terrible deeds.

12 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

Jae Wook only married Na Kyung so she can drop the charges against his ex mother in Law. We all saw Na Kyung miscaring but she put the blame on JY's mom and had her arrested. I really wished this would be revelaed but it won't. He was forced to marry Na Kyung. This was revealed in episode 14 to 15. JY's mom told her this and she almost ran to him. Luckily hubby called her and reminded her of his existence. He would have never married her and JW never had a affair with NA Kyung. My theory on JW and NK. This guy (Ji Do-Yeob ) he helped Na Kyung trap Jae Wook. The night of her child conception was the night JW was very drunk ( couldn't stand or think straight). THis richard simmons left his drunk friend with this skank ( I apologize ) for all these bad word but Na Kyung reallly richard simmons me offffff. She is disgustingggggg.  :rage: She is never satisfied and her marriage is very unhappy but she is always puting JY as the problem in her marriage. She is so frustrating...... She doesn't realize she is the problem and always fighting with him. She wants to monitor him 24/7 and refuses to let him breathe. She is also the reason he lost his son in the first place. Her life has been way better than JY since the moment her relationship with JW came out. THis woman is willing to do everything she wants to make sure she gets JW's company for herself. She feels she is owed it for all her terrible deeds.

It seems to me everything is done to JW, his friend, his wife, his father all did terrible things to him, but what did JW do? Will this be his pattern to put blame on everyone else, and just be a passive participant in his life? He stayed married to a woman who pushed him around for many years when there was a time that he could have divorced NK long before the Jeon Seo pregnancy and long before Min Ho was in JY's life but he chose to stay married and stayed married for many years. JY's mom was out of jail, he could have defied his father and divorced NK with a reasonable settlement. She is a lawyer, a capable woman and could have moved on with her life and JW with his. He made poor choices but it was his choice and can't live his life blaming everyone else.

To be fair however, in the last episodes, Jae Wook's character is showing growth and maturity. He is now standing up for his children against his father and he also treats his wife kinder as he admits that she is a good mother to Jeon Seo despite her selfishness. He takes care of his sister and his nephew. He told his father for the first time that it is his responsibility to protect his family. He and JY had a talk and both seem ready to let go of the past and move on. Both of them accepted their choices in a mature manner. That for me is love. They did not do a clinging act or beat each other with the past. After all they are still family, they share children. Jae Wook has more than plenty on his plate with the Kim family and their fortune, his own family and children and he looks ready to deal. The one that needs to be shocked into reality now is Na Kyung. I have not liked her from the beginning but I hope that she will see the error of her ways or she will lose everything she worked her richard simmons for. Since most of the other characters' growth are being revealed, maybe Na Kyung's growth will come too. But we are only in the middle of the series, so many things can happen. 

9 hours ago, zenya22 said:

It seems to me everything is done to JW, his friend, his wife, his father all did terrible things to him, but what did JW do? Will this be his pattern to put blame on everyone else, and just be a passive participant in his life? He stayed married to a woman who pushed him around for many years when there was a time that he could have divorced NK long before the Jeon Seo pregnancy and long before Min Ho was in JY's life but he chose to stay married and stayed married for many years. JY's mom was out of jail, he could have defied his father and divorced NK with a reasonable settlement. She is a lawyer, a capable woman and could have moved on with her life and JW with his. He made poor choices but it was his choice and can't live his life blaming everyone else.

To be fair however, in the last episodes, Jae Wook's character is showing growth and maturity. He is now standing up for his children against his father and he also treats his wife kinder as he admits that she is a good mother to Jeon Seo despite her selfishness. He takes care of his sister and his nephew. He told his father for the first time that it is his responsibility to protect his family. He and JY had a talk and both seem ready to let go of the past and move on. Both of them accepted their choices in a mature manner. That for me is love. They did not do a clinging act or beat each other with the past. After all they are still family, they share children. Jae Wook has more than plenty on his plate with the Kim family and their fortune, his own family and children and he looks ready to deal. The one that needs to be shocked into reality now is Na Kyung. I have not liked her from the beginning but I hope that she will see the error of her ways or she will lose everything she worked her richard simmons for. Since most of the other characters' growth are being revealed, maybe Na Kyung's growth will come too. But we are only in the middle of the series, so many things can happen. 

@zenya22.... I hope Na Kyung can grow but I don’t think she can. I really hate characters like her in kdrama. They are the worst one. You are right she worked her richard simmons off to get where she is but does she deserve to live in luxury. I don’t think so, she needs to lose all the materialistic things she crave to be happy. The only way she can see the error of her ways is for something to happen to Jeon Soo ( the only person she loves) . Koreans believe the sins of a parent fall onto the children. That is what I don’t want to happen. Like you @zenya22 I want her to see the error of her ways in good but she won’t. We saw her charge JY for adultery.  You and I both know it won’t happen because they both have let go of the past. 

My theory is that JS will divorce her because she does something bad( I think he will find out that she knew HW was sick and said nothing about. That is when he will realize she is evil. I think NK is evil , there isn’t any goodness in her at all. She was willing to let JY’s son die just because she doesn’t care at all. This info will prove NK isn’t worthy to being a parent. I believe that with my whole heart.  I don’t even think she loves JS , she loves him for what he stand for not the boy. If she loves him like she claims as a parent she would have told JY about HW’s relapsing. 

Thanks god they found out but this secret is way to important to show NK really character. 

What shocks me the most is the fact the tv producer likes her. I wonder if he will still like her when he finds out she is willing to let her son’s brother die just to hurt JY.  Why are they letting that producer feel sorry for her when this mess is her own making. She just keeeeeeps hurting JY when JY does the even think of her her at all. 

3 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

My theory is that JS will divorce her because she does something bad( I think he will find out that she knew HW was sick and said nothing about. That is when he will realize she is evil. I think NK is evil , there isn’t any goodness in her at all. She was willing to let JY’s son die just because she doesn’t care at all. This info will prove NK isn’t worthy to being a parent. I believe that with my whole heart.  I don’t even think she loves JS , she loves him for what he stand for not the boy. If she loves him like she claims as a parent she would have told JY about HW’s relapsing. 

Thanks god they found out but this secret is way to important to show NK really character. 

What shocks me the most is the fact the tv producer likes her. I wonder if he will still like her when he finds out she is willing to let her son’s brother die just to hurt JY.  Why are they letting that producer feel sorry for her when this mess is her own making. She just keeeeeeps hurting JY when JY does the even think of her her at all. 

@UnniSarahYes, there are more secrets too that need revealed about NK. How she created a scandal and got Jae Hee banished to the States, she lost her husband and she has to leave her young son in SK until he went to the States to study. The grandson Seung Hoon is accusing his grandfather of stealing the land from his father's family. I want to know also how Jae Hee's husband died and how she created a scandal. I am suspecting that she helped with stealing the land from JH husband and made it look like it was all grandpa's doing or maybe it was both their doing. We shall see what happens next but this drama is really getting better by each episode, I think. 

18 minutes ago, LoveBunny said:

Did he ask for a divorce ?! 

I want to know too. I hope so, because NK has been way too selfish by not telling anyone about HW's condition. There must be consequences for her actions.

Na Kyung is disgusting, planning to trade HW's life for her position. I don't like the Chairman, but he was right about Na Kyung in this episode. Her greed comes before everything else, including Joon Seo.

I hope Jae Wook follows through on his words. I expect he'll threaten and maybe even attempt to make good on his threats but Ji Young will be the one that ends up suffering while JW stands around with a pained expression. There is still the trial to come, after all. 

Seung Hoon is playing Na Kyung, isn't he? I don't mind his scenes with the underwear girlfriend, but I'm not sure where that's  going either. 

Kick Na Kyung to where the sun don't shine. She says she always feels like she is standing at the edge of the cliff. She can jump into the cliff then problem solved she will no longer be at the edge she will be at the bottom. And grandpa, no he does not deserve to have Hyeon  Woo or any of his grandsons. Children and grandchildren are not objects to use as pawns.  I can't even finish the episodes cause I want to throw stones at the screen or reach out and do some butt kicking. No, Na Kyung is not a mother. As much as I don't like grandpa, he is right when he said that Na Kyung uses Jeon Seo to extort or blackmail the family. She does not deserve to be called a mother. She needs to go to mental asylum or in prison. Grandma needs to stop shielding and protecting Na Kyung. She is getting on my nerves too. Kick her out. But she is right, grandpa was the one who raised and taught his daughter in law the art of using people. 

Hyun Weo needs some counseling. He seems to feel guilt and blames himself over his parents especially his mother's fears, sadness and Jeon Seo's being sent to Na Kyung to be reared as her own child. He thinks if he dies everything will be solved. They need to bring him to the hospital, give him some counseling and treatment ASAP. He is almost suicidal and blames himself for all the adult's problems as caused by him. My heart breaks and I weep. I really wish all these adults will hash out their problems by themselves and take care of the grandchildren. 

Ji Young needs to hold it together especially in front of Hyun Weo. This is the time for her to be strong, the  time also for both Ji Young and Min Ho to get Jae Wook involved to save Hyun Weo because Na Kyung will use Jeon Seo to her advantage and won't care about HW. All of them need to be together to save the child including grandpa. I am hoping most of all that Seung Hoon will find the dirt on that witch Na Kyung what she did and how she is involved with his father's death and send her to prison. The more she lies, when Jeon Seo is old enough to find out, he will hate her and if he knows one day that she held him as ransom for the life of his brother, whom he adores, he will hate Na Kyung. He will think that she was nice to him not because she loved him, but because she used him as a pawn for her use. But Na Kyung is too self involved to realize how much she is hurting the boy she calls "her son". 

I hope Jae Wook who has fulfilled his duty as a husband and as a son to his parents will mean and do what he said, take out Na Kyung's rights to Jeon Seo. Why does Na Kyung think he has all rights to Jeon Seo, when Jae Wook is the father too? 

Hi ladies,

long time did not post in soompi but this viper as a daughter in law made me to come out of my cave.

What worries me is that we have another 16 episodes which means the pushover husband /rich son will not do anything again .Na Kyung will find a way to survive again.

When she is going to pay for her selfishness and all her wrongdoings?

Welcome to the thread @kiklaminHo :)

13 hours ago, qynn said:

Na Kyung is disgusting, planning to trade HW's life for her position. I don't like the Chairman, but he was right about Na Kyung in this episode. Her greed comes before everything else, including Joon Seo.

I hope Jae Wook follows through on his words. I expect he'll threaten and maybe even attempt to make good on his threats but Ji Young will be the one that ends up suffering while JW stands around with a pained expression. There is still the trial to come, after all.

NK is being despicable. Sure, she is driven by her fears, but she really needs some mental help. FAST.

I don't like the father-in-law, but he was right to test if NK is driven by greed only. She failed his test big time, and I am glad JW is starting to see it. She has destroyed so many peoples' lives and relationships because of her greed.

She is not a good mom, because she will teach JS the same values as she has. Get that boy away from him before it is too late, I say.

I am getting a bit tired of seeing JW in his pained expression. He needs to take responsibility, be a man and protect JY and his children!

12 hours ago, zenya22 said:

Hyun Weo needs some counseling. He seems to feel guilt and blames himself over his parents especially his mother's fears, sadness and Jeon Seo's being sent to Na Kyung to be reared as her own child. He thinks if he dies everything will be solved. They need to bring him to the hospital, give him some counseling and treatment ASAP. He is almost suicidal and blames himself for all the adult's problems as caused by him. My heart breaks and I weep. I really wish all these adults will hash out their problems by themselves and take care of the grandchildren.

I agree. HW is a boy that is taking responsibility for his parents' feelings and emotions. No one is responsible for anyone else's feelings, and he needs therapy to learn that. I don't like this noble idiocy plot that the writers are throwing at us. :(

15 hours ago, zenya22 said:

I hope Jae Wook who has fulfilled his duty as a husband and as a son to his parents will mean and do what he said, take out Na Kyung's rights to Jeon Seo. Why does Na Kyung think he has all rights to Jeon Seo, when Jae Wook is the father too? 

Because Na Kyung is crazy, but she also has a card to play right now, so in a sense she kind of does hold the rights to Joon Seo.  In order to take stem cells from Joon Seo, I imagine both parents have to give consent. Na Kyung won't do that unless she gets what she wants from the Chairman (which is probably unlikely to happen now that Jae Wook knows the truth). She'll never agree to a divorce. The only option is  for Ji Young to claim her parental rights, which I imagine is what the trial is about. I'm sure Na Kyung will be confident in her ability to play dirty, manipulate and destroy anything in her path in order to survive. 

Good ratings for drama

https://www.soompi.com/article/1295471wpp/pledge-god-continues-achieve-high-viewership-ratings

Even if it looks like there are no viewers because there is not much participation in the thread, the ratings are good for the drama which means there plenty viewers and as the drama progresses to the trial probably even get more. 

Archived