Quantcast
Jump to content
0ly40

[Drama 2018] A Promise with the Gods, 신과의 약속

Recommended Posts

On 12/16/2018 at 12:11 PM, qynn said:

Ji Young and Jae Wook to find closure, and in the end, Hyun Woo indeed designs a house that Min Ho will build for Ji Young and they'll live in happily. 

 

@qynn I love this ending very much.....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

caught up with last week's episodes and I can't stand ji young or jae wook. even na kyung is somewhat understandable as she acts out of fear but can't stand the main leads for their passive aggressive approach to life. why can't they just make peace with the past and move on? if they are going to end up together, they are going to destroy a whole bunch of lives including min ho and the two kids to get there. really liked jae wook's mom who was the sane voice of reason when she bluntly told ji young that she gets ji young is hurting but she made her choice to give up joon soo an and now, cannot decide on a reset. am curious about what happened with jae ha's husband but not sure how much longer I can keep watching characters that don't evoke any sympathy and just annoy me. :ph34r:

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually can empathize with the two leads. In order to truly understand someone, one would have to be able to see outside one's on perspective ad temporarily trade it with theirs; it is not that hard. Anyway, I hope that it works out for the children's sake.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lmangla said:

caught up with last week's episodes and I can't stand ji young or jae wook. even na kyung is somewhat understandable as she acts out of fear but can't stand the main leads for their passive aggressive approach to life. why can't they just make peace with the past and move on? if they are going to end up together, they are going to destroy a whole bunch of lives including min ho and the two kids to get there. really liked jae wook's mom who was the sane voice of reason when she bluntly told ji young that she gets ji young is hurting but she made her choice to give up joon soo an and now, cannot decide on a reset. am curious about what happened with jae ha's husband but not sure how much longer I can keep watching characters that don't evoke any sympathy and just annoy me. :ph34r:

I don't like Na Kyung, she does not evoke any sympathy from me, she acts out of fear and greed but from the episodes that follow, I understand how you feel about JY and JW. The thing is, they need to talk, really talk and then let go and make peace with their decisions made long ago. JY has to confront her guilt. Sorry to see you go if you decide to, give the following episodes a chance but if not .... 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@zenya22 ~ lets see how long it holds my interest. for me, ji young and jae wook really annoy me that they both don't acknowledge na kyung or min ho as rightful parents. they have put in the work regardless of their motivations and should be treated with respect as parents. just because they are biological parents does not give them the right to sneak behind or to act like they have more right to these kids. jae wook may not be as aggressive as ji young but seeing min ho makes me sad that he is being reduced to this creature who has to beg for time. the actions of ji young and jae wook have resulted in a broken man who has been robbed but the difference is that he is not whining about it.

 

while ji young says that she is thankful for min ho's contributions, she has no knowledge of his pain and is more absorbed with her pain of losing joon soo. na kyung may be right in that joon soo may be a symbol of ji young's guilt.... since the adultery law was repealed, my guess is that the court scene we saw in the beginning may actually be a custody battle for joon soo. based on how ji young is acting now, my guess is that she might try to take away joon soo as she never signed away her parental rights and na kyung fights like a tiger.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

lets see how long it holds my interest. for me, ji young and jae wook really annoy me that they both don't acknowledge na kyung or min ho as rightful parents. they have put in the work regardless of their motivations and should be treated with respect as parents. just because they are biological parents does not give them the right to sneak behind or to act like they have more right to these kids. jae wook may not be as aggressive as ji young but seeing min ho makes me sad that he is being reduced to this creature who has to beg for time. the actions of ji young and jae wook have resulted in a broken man who has been robbed but the difference is that he is not whining about it.

 

while ji young says that she is thankful for min ho's contributions, she has no knowledge of his pain and is more absorbed with her pain of losing joon soo. n

@LmanglaI think that Ji Young acknowledges Min Ho as the father of Hyeon Woo but she does not acknowledge Na Kyung as the mother of Joon Seo. She is mired in guilt. My hope for Na Kyung is to realize that her love for Jeon Soo goes beyond and not conditional to her acquisition of Cheon Ji group or being named the madame of Cheonji Group and why I understand Jae Wook's misgivings. He knows how his father uses and manipulates his children for his own ends and he sees Na Kyung as the same. My beef with Jae Wook is his inability to stand up to his father for himself, his children and his women. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@zenya22 ~ it feels like ji young is grateful to min ho and she says that sees him as hyeon woo's appa but her actions don't really indicate that. if she truly saw him as her child's father, there would be joint discussions regarding hyeon woo's future. she won't be sitting there depressed about joon soo if she understood the impact it might have on min ho and hyeon woo. she seems to be constantly dead and only comes alive when she is fighting with na kyung which is very unfair to everyone.

 

there are too many scenes where min ho is seen standing outside watching mother and son. otherwise, it is the two fellows together but she is outside. there is no cohesive scene with the three of them together enjoying some sort of family time. instead, it feels like 3 individuals on very thin ice with min ho constantly in fear that their time together will all end. if she truly treated him as the father and husband, he won't be in so much misery or pain.  :(

 

she comes across as quite selfish as it is all about her pain. she never shares anything with min ho whereas he is bending over backwards for her all the time. their relationship doesn't feel equal in any terms. any other guy would have walked out because he is not getting anything emotionally from her in this relationship. she still seems hung up on her pain from the affair and divorce which happened over 16+ years ago. if she truly saw him as husband and son's father, she would allow herself to be happy some of the time and give him something emotionally.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

watched this week's episodes and it is good the narrative is focusing more on the other characters because the main leads are just basically running around in circles over the same past. feel like saying "get over it!" . so hyeon woo seems to be under the impression that he doesn't have much time and he is ticking off boxes to do including meeting jae wook's family... jae ha's son is super smart but is hiding it so he can take some revenge on his grandfather...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This week's episodes were so sad. :tears: Poor Hyun-woo who is sacrificing himself in favor of his family because he is sick again. This noble idiocy coming from a child... :( Instead he should tell his parents about the symptoms he has, and have his loved ones around him to support him through all of this. 

 

This drama really brings out the paternalistic sides of Korean society. The grandfather decides how things should be done, and everyone is forced to follow his decision. The grandpa really lacks empathy and I was a bit upset seeing how he treated Ji-young - glad the grandma has a voice of reason, though.

 

I agree with @Lmangla that Min-ho, Ji-young and Hyun-woo don't seem to make up one family unit.

I feel the same about Jae-wook, Na-kyung and Joon-seo. Both families aren't "real" families. It seems Ji-young is together with Min-ho because of convenience and gratitude, and Jae-wook is together with Na-kyung because he was forced to marry her. They don't truly love their current partners in my opinion. I do think that Ji-young and Jae-wook will end up back together by the end of this drama.

 

On a side note, doesn't it seem like the writers are setting it up so that Na-kyung will later fall in love with Jung Kyung-soo? I hope they introduce a nice lady to Min-ho soon too. :) 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This drama slays!!! I love how the major characters especially the children,  participate and star in the story.

 

JY and JW are so guilt ridden, their living is mired in self beating and shame, suspending their lives in past regrets. They paid with high price punishing themselves with vengeance. Guilt has paralyzed them from moving on and appreciating the possibilities of a good life with what they have or from mustering the courage to do what they must to free themselves as in JW letting go of a toxic marriage, the spunk to stand up to his father and JY accepting the decisions she made long ago for the sake of both her sons. Both seemed to have forgotten that deliverance is available with a sincere act of forgiveness of themselves and the other. In episode 17, JY and JW are in their cars for a long awaited meeting after JY called JW and told him she learned about the circumstances of his abrupt marriage to NK. JY was in tears calling JW's name and saying she did not know. Then in the middle of the meet up, she stopped her car and changed her mind because she says she can't undo what was already done and stood up JW, a lone man waiting at a riverfront for hours on end until sundown. It seems that JW is more ready to let go of the past and begin a life anew whatever it means for him, than JY. JY is still clinging to past regrets. The past is already past but the  undoing of the past comes from her heart because she is the one clinging and making the past "alive" in her midst.  She should have gone to that meeting and hashed it out with JW in whatever form the meeting will be, let all that was destructive out of their lives, clean up the collection of heavy cobwebs hanging between them. Regrettably, it seems her call to meet JW was an emotional impulse and not well thought of. However, the following episodes shows the family being happy together and JY somehow slowly moving on???

 

Song Hyun Woo celebrated his acceptance to college with a dinner with his family outside of his home. This for me is the saddest of this weekend's episodes. He asked for a family photo and when they were done with the family photos, he asked to have a lone self photo to gift his parents. He had tears in his eyes during the photo shoot. I got chilled thinking Hyun Woo might be making that photo for his funeral. He had been bruising from different parts of his body but was afraid to tell his family especially his mother because he knew it would stress his the mother whom has just started to live her life, now working at the broadcast station and enjoying family activities outside of their home and admiring fans made her mother come alive. However, that meant a delay in treatments. But it also pushed him to look for his biological father and grandfather. Hyun Woo's meetings with the two men were very different in context. 

 

His meeting with Jae Wook was understandably emotional. His parents divorced while he was still in utero or just born, but he was old enough to know that Min Ho is his adoptive father. He was sick and often hospitalized and must have known about the drive for matching marrow transplant  donors and the matching donor who saved his life was the brother he never met. He witnessed how his mother struggled emotionally with fear and over protection. Hyun Woo is a good son and kept all his misgivings to himself but it burst out at meeting his bio father. There was anger, grief and at the same time longing. The meeting with his grandfather was the opposite. His grandfather met him in a private room at an exclusive traditional Korean restaurant. His meeting with his grandfather was impersonal and formal. It was more of a business meeting where he made a deal in return for entering his grandfather's home, that his grandfather will take care of his parents. Grandpa Kim laughed and said of course he wants his parents to be taken cared of as his parents child but Hyun Woo repeated, that the only way he will enter his grandfather's ancestral home is if grandpa Kim takes care of his parents. His grandfather consented and was ecstatic that his grandchild the oldest son of his only son, his heir was as business savvy as he was. Little did grandpa know that the deal made was his grandson's preparation for his eventual death. That it maybe the one deal he will ever make with this grandson. Anyway, at the preview, it could be Na Kyung who finds out about Hyun Woo's bruises. Hopefully she will do the right thing but it is too early for role reversals... but who knows. As for Jae Wook my wish is for him to stop making deals with his father using his family, himself, his ex wife and children as the stakes for the deal just like he just made a deal with his father in exchange for his father not touching his sons. For goodness sakes, you are their father man up!!!!! 

 

The most interesting of the weekend's episode for me is the revelation of Jae Hee's son, the oldest grandson Seung Hoon's hidden game plan. He goes around town acting like a spoiled 3rd generation chaebol, jerk and a fool. None of the family especially his grandfather takes him seriously. They all think he was in New York  spending his days dawdling to kill time. However, his mother showed a diploma to his uncle Jae Wook, that he graduated as Magna Cum Laude at an Ivy League University in New York (somehow, recent drama mothers are now ranting about Ivy league schools, eyes roll)  which could either be Columbia University or Cornell. One of the specialized courses Columbia U offers is engineering and he graduated as an architectural engineer. Jae Hee asks Jae Wook to consider hiring his son for the Smart City project the cherished project of dear old grandpa Kim. Seung Hoon had a meeting with his uncle Jae Wook who approved his nephew to be in charge of the project with the condition that the team will be assigned by Jae Wook but Seung Hoon tells him that he brings his own team. Seung Hoon then takes his underwear shop owner girlfriend to view the location of the project and tells his girlfriend that the land was once owned by the family of his father and that his father had a dream of building a futuristic city in that land but an "old man" stole the land from his father and also his father's dreams. And we all know who that "old man" is. Then he went to fetch his friends/colleagues from New York at the airport and as soon as they arrive they go to an officetel and begin to work on smart city project. No wonder Jae Hee has this animosity towards Na Kyung and her father. The difference between Na Kyung and Jae Hee is that Jae Hee has no illusions about how his father operates. She learned from experience growing up from his father's house. Na Kyung is just only learning or maybe not. Na Kyung is easy to read as she is a walking emo. 

 

On 12/23/2018 at 5:37 AM, partyon said:

agree with @Lmangla that Min-ho, Ji-young and Hyun-woo don't seem to make up one family unit.

I feel the same about Jae-wook, Na-kyung and Joon-seo. Both families aren't "real" families. It seems Ji-young is together with Min-ho because of convenience and gratitude, and Jae-wook is together with Na-kyung because he was forced to marry her. They don't truly love their current partners in my opinion. I do think that Ji-young and Jae-wook will end up back together by the end of this drama.

@partyonI agree that between Jae Wook and Na Kyung there is no love, but dislike, anger and mistrust. With Min Ho and Ji Young, in my opinion, there is love. For Ji Young it is not the passionate love she had with Jae Wook that shook her earth but a love that calms her world. She trusts in Min Ho's love. It stabilizes her. I see Min Ho's love as strong and unconditional and not as a tolerant martyr. He was the one who gently confronted JY to let go of her overprotection and removed the menu, recipe, cook books and health books meant for Hyun Woo from their kitchen. That evening he opened her top and to show the surgical scars on her chest and started applying cream to erase the scars. The way I saw it, that was Min Ho's way of saying that he understood what those scars meant, what she had gone through, pregnancy from a sperm donation from the man who betrayed her for a stem cell from cord blood to save her son from dying, how she herself almost died at the delivery room hence the scar. How she gave up her son and the guilt, grief and depression that followed.  At the moment, I think Min Ho's love is the strongest even when at times he gets hurt himself. I think he knows that if he had left Ji Young, she would have fallen apart but that would have hurt him more than her because he loves her trully. Surely,  he is not Mother Theresa, but it happens, there are people who can love that way. I am hoping that they will find a nice lady for JW instead of MH and I know it is a pipe dream but who knows..... this could be a first..... 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lmangla said:

since the adultery law was repealed, my guess is that the court scene we saw in the beginning may actually be a custody battle for joon soo. based on how ji young is acting now, my guess is that she might try to take away joon soo as she never signed away her parental rights and na kyung fights like a tiger.

@LmanglaI think that your guess is right, however if she is the defending mother involved in a custody battle, she can't be the lawyer too, represent herself? Is that allowed?  it makes more sense that the custody battle is about Jeon Soo because in that scene Na Kyung accused Ji Young about an affair. But she can't be the lawyer in her own custody battle can she?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no idea @zenya22; have seen movies where the defendant/person involved in the case defend themselves though I am not sure if I have seen that in a kdrama.... so it may be possible that na kyung can be the lawyer in her own case as she has the credentials...

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While the characters frustrate me at times (Well, Na Kyung does more than frustrate me) I find them relatable. I actually find Ji Young the most relatable.

 

I did feel for Jae Wook when he was explaining to Na Kyung why he couldn't move on from the past, but he's such a wuss when it comes to his father, kids and women that I just want to knock him on the head. 

 

21 hours ago, zenya22 said:

I agree that between Jae Wook and Na Kyung there is no love, but dislike, anger and mistrust. With Min Ho and Ji Young, in my opinion, there is love. For Ji Young it is not the passionate love she had with Jae Wook that shook her earth but a love that calms her world. She trusts in Min Ho's love. It stabilizes her. I see Min Ho's love as strong and unconditional and not as a tolerant martyr. He was the one who gently confronted JY to let go of her overprotection and removed the menu, recipe, cook books and health books meant for Hyun Woo from their kitchen. That evening he opened her top and to show the surgical scars on her chest and started applying cream to erase the scars

I agree. I think Ji Young loves Min Ho, but is not passionately in love with him like she was with Jae Wook, which is realistic IMO. I think oftentimes someone who is hurt badly or loses a loved one will then choose a slow and steady love or warm companionship. IMO Ji Young and Min Ho would have been happy enough if everything with Joon Soo hadn't happened. That's the elephant in the room;  I don't disagree that there is a disconnect with Ji Young, Min Ho and Hyun Woo because of it. Still, there are the times you mentioned above and other times like the celebratory dinner or when Ji Young and Min Ho were talking about Hyun Woo's date that they feel very natural and in sync as a couple and family. 

 

I remember the news report regarding the court scene we saw at the beginning mentioned family court so I do think it's probably a custody battle. Right now I tend to think it will be for Hyun Woo and not Joon Soo, however. I thought there was foreshadowing for it in these latest episodes. The Grandfather does not intend to let Hyun Woo go back to Ji Young and Min Ho. Na Kyung would be the one ordered into battle and while she doesn't want Hyun Woo around, she would use it as an opportunity to destroy Ji Young so that Ji Young can never get Joon Soo. We'll see. 

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion of this drama 

So Woo Na Kyung - - She will never be happy and I think in the end of this drama she will be divorced. She manipulated everything to get what she wants. She claims to love her husband but in the end it was always about money.  Kim Jae Wook’s friend Ji Do Yeob helped NK snap Jae Wook. He wasn’t a true friend but needed Jw’s friendship for his career. He was working with her when she seduces Jae Wook all these years ago. I believe she loves her son but she hates his birth mother.  The fact that she stalked JW might have to come out to and the fact that she isn’t Joon Seo’s birth mom will have to come out. She is out to destroy Ji Yeong. NK is paying for her greed and and will never have a peaceful life until she admit what she did wrong and say repent for what she did. Because of all the terrible things she did , she can’t have kids if her own. 

Ji Yeong didn’t want to go back to work but her son wanted his mom to start living for her because he knew he he wouldn’t live past 20. I have feeling she will probably lose him and NK will play a role in keeping Hyun Woo’s secret. He wants his mom to get used to living without him. This is one of the reason he moved in with his father side of the family. JY is thanksful to Min Ho but she is still in love with her ex husband. Will they break up , I really don’t know. NK is the one who ended up ruining JY’s chance of having a new show. If she hadn’t interfered they wouldn’t be working together. NK’s mission in life is to ruin JY when JY isn’t even paying her any mind. 

 

Kim Jae Wook - - he is trying his best to repent for cheating on JY but TBH, he still hasn’t gotten over her:  He still want to be with her . He wants to get to know his son. He has tried to be happy with NK but she is so controlling and obsessed. She refuses to let the man breath. If she would relax and be nicer their marriage could have been happy. Sadly he also knows NK doesn’t love him but wants his father’s company. 

To be honest  Min Ho is very boring and I feel that he is way to passive. I don’t even think he has s** with his wife. The only time I see his significant of his character is when he is with Hyung Woo. 

 

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello! New here :) (and en passant ;)).

 

I normally don't like makjang dramas, but I'm liking this. And, in this particular makjang mood, I'm shipping JY and JW very much. It's not really logical or not logical, but I sense that this kind of drama requires to ship them together :) 

 

In fact, JY and JW are flawed and gray characters, not so easy to like, but not so easy to dislike either. Their ambiguity appeals to me and makes me attached to them, with this kind of liking-not liking feeling, but they are compelling people, and interesting characters. I think that they are very much in love with each other, in a tragical and makjang way; I think that both commited grave sins towards each other (adultery (JW) / deniyng parenthood (JY) - to me both are great mistakes), and this is why I can see (and ship) them together. 

 

About MH, he is too good to be good (as a character lol), and NK is too bad to be a good bad (lol - in fac she is more interisting and layered than him). I hope that - in special MH, will have any kind of development where he will become more layered: as for now, I think he isn't interesting at all and I can't relate to him. 

 

This is all! 

 

Merry Christmas !!!! :D  

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2018 at 11:44 AM, qynn said:

I remember the news report regarding the court scene we saw at the beginning mentioned family court so I do think it's probably a custody battle. Right now I tend to think it will be for Hyun Woo and not Joon Soo, however. I thought there was foreshadowing for it in these latest episodes. The Grandfather does not intend to let Hyun Woo go back to Ji Young and Min Ho. Na Kyung would be the one ordered into battle and while she doesn't want Hyun Woo around, she would use it as an opportunity to destroy Ji Young so that Ji Young can never get Joon Soo. We'll see. 

Hmmmmm, that makes sense that Hyun Woo is the cause of the custody fight so I can see NK ordered to represent the grandfather and she would be just too happy to comply. 

 

On 12/25/2018 at 4:10 PM, ninaanin said:

About MH, he is too good to be good (as a character lol), and NK is too bad to be a good bad (lol - in fac she is more interisting and layered than him). I hope that - in special MH, will have any kind of development where he will become more layered: as for now, I think he isn't interesting at all

@ninaaninLOL, I think that is what makes Min HO interesting is that he is not interesting at all and different from all the others who are all emo, so his boringness stands out but boring love is strong and steadfast. But I think we may see a different MH when he has to fight with JY against the grandfather for the custody of Hyun Woo and we see how the strength of boring love??  shown at the first episode because grandpa does not want Hyun Woo to go back home to mom??

 

On 12/25/2018 at 7:51 AM, UnniSarah said:

Ji Yeong didn’t want to go back to work but her son wanted his mom to start living for her because he knew he he wouldn’t live past 20. I have feeling she will probably lose him and NK will play a role in keeping Hyun Woo’s secret. He wants his mom to get used to living without him. This is one of the reason he moved in with his father side of the family. JY is thanksful to Min Ho but she is still in love with her ex husband.

@UnniSarahI think that is what Hyun Woo thinks that he will die and not live past 20, it is only in his mind. There were no medical check ups and no conclusive confirmation shown in the drama that he will be untreatable and die.

 

Statistically, in children chances for cure are very good with leukemia and with treatment most children with leukemia will be free of the disease without coming back (US statistics). However, I don't know if this is true in SK .......but the drama may make HW die to make it more makjang??? I really hope not. Hopefully Jeon Seo will tell his father or grandma or aunt about his brother's bleeding and Hyun Woo will be taken to the doctor for treatment. 

 

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...