[Drama 2019] Abyss, 어비스

puppyjjang

2 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

@raziela I did a lot. LOL. It was so boring watching the whole thing about OYC. Sighh. 

You know I love thriller, chasing the bad guy theme thing. But the villains is too smart than the rest of the protagonist characters here. This led all the things to something meeh. I know I don't expect full romance here. I just want something like how SY did when she tried to save herself from JW's trap. That's clever! I want the protagonist characters to be as clever as the villain. It would be fun to watch. 

The mystery/thriller aspect isn't well-written.  I don't even think the villain is that smart.  The drama just has the good guys do stupid things so the bad guys look smart in comparison.  I agree about that scene with SY and Shady Seo.  That is one of the very few times I felt tension in this drama and I wish we had more scenes of the goodies using their intelligence like that.

2 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

And they can stop SY from being a saint girl who keeps being nice to HJ. She has the right to yell her out of her life and stay away from min.

I totally agree with this.  I feel like the drama is trying to force a closeness between SY and HJ and I'm not buying it at all.  I can  understand if SY feels sorry for her and keeping her for information but the way she is always coddling, fussing over and hugging HJ is not believable for SY's character. SY isn't a sentimental person and after everything HJ has done I don't think she would forgive her so easily.

I haven't watched today's episode yet but from your little review and the other comments it sounds like I will enjoy it more than yesterday's episode. I forgot about the mystery of who nailed her coffin shut, I hope the writer explains that.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gee, this is like "Where's Waldo".  How many times does Hee Jin's mother have to be found?!  

As for development of the story, it feels like a caged hamster running day and night on the wheel.  Running, and going nowhere fast.

The drama has a good cast.  Unfortunately, the writing isn't on par with the ability of the cast to act.

@Auntie Mame this drama had a lot of potential to be good. And I was honestly hoping it to be really good considering PBY was in it. Even though it's badly written, I'm still watching it (well fast forwarding it ol). One thing I dislike about this show is that the characters keep making same mistakes over and over again. Jeez, I feel like watching the same episode from last week. I understand that HJ's mom had gone through a lot of trauma but at this point she needs to flee the country or something. She's always running outside when the killer is on the loose. I hate that YC and the way he talks. It's irritating. But I do have to say that the last half part of this show has definitely improved. Someone mentioned that the SY and Seo scene had alot of tension. I definitely agree. If I were I in Soyeon's place in that scene, I would've crapped my pants. It was one of those scenes where I was seriously scared for SY but she used her smartness to save herself. I feel bad for PKM. I guess he was a good guy. From the preview, it looks like Seo kills him. Poor guy, I hope is revived. Now, I want SY to get revenge on evil Seo. 

Just watched the latest episodes of Abyss! So good! Everything is really picking up in pace. It looks like it's gonna be a showdown with Shady Seo from here on out! 

So I'll post some thoughts in no particular order.

-I really thought HJ would be the one to pull the plug on YC. I was yelling at her to go in and pull it haha. But then it was Shady Seo who did it. Ha ha little does he know what he did with the Abyss now...

-Speaking of HJ, I'm so proud of her for standing up to YC. I knew she wouldn't suddenly turn bad. High five HJ!

-Speaking of Shady Seo, I can't believe he killed his own mother. Yes I know technically not blood mother, but still! What a rotten SOB.

-Now is mom going to be revived or not? Preview made it seem like she may not be. But surely they must revive her! Poor innocent sweet lady. 

-So glad some secrets have been revealed esp SY realizing that it was Seo who killed her. She's one tough cookie and is gonna go after him so hard. Also looking forward to seeing CM defend her. I'm all about girl power but I also enjoy the tall strong protective male :rolleyes:

-I felt sooo bad for Detective Park! I can't wait for his redemption to come. 

-CM and SY are pure love. That scene on top of the hill overlooking the cityscape was sooo cute. Their little bantering back and forth and CM's cheesy but sweet lines...just a big AWW. 

Now some things I'm still confused about.

-Gi Man - what is with his storyline now? Who was that guy who ratted him out on the little traffic accident? Was it someone working for the Judge (I thought he was top prosecutor but they called him Judge these episodes)? I think I need to re watch his scenes. 

-And now for the most confusing part for me...who was the dude watching CM and SY having their love fest on the hilltop? His smile seemed genuine and like he was a good guy....but who was he?? Do we have any guesses?

I'll be reading back through the thread soon! Look forward to hearing y'alls insights :)

- Finished episode 12. Enjoyed it much more than yesterday's ep.   I am so glad to see the end of YC at last and the Abyss back with CM at last.  So now Shady Seo is the big bad.  Looks like we are finally going to find out more about the murder of the other prosecutor and the picture SY found at the beginning of the drama.  I will be interested to see how they are going to sustain this for two weeks.  It feels like next week should be the finale week.

- I feel very sorry for Park Gi Man.  That man has had no justice in his life.  Shouldn't he get a phone call at the police station?  He should call CM to help him out.

- Feel sad for HJ's mother too.  She is innocent in all of this. HJ was finally mildly useful but still annoying with whatever her vague plan was.

- Min's scenes with his Mum make me laugh.  Especially when he called her up about the tracker and she was trying to defend herself :lol:

- Dumb good guy moments this episode: Dong Cheol popping into Shady's office to look for DNA material with no real plan or idea what he was doing and then acting like a guilty fool when Seo caught him; CM only remembering at the last minute about the tracker on HJ he discussed with his mother a day ago; HJ leaving her Mum with Shady Seo and then confronting YC with barely any real plan; SY arriving at the YC hideout and deciding to shout into the megaphone so YC knew they were there and HC got distracted.

- Dumb bad guy moments:  YC's whole final scene! He got it alllllll wrong and ended up putting himself on life support.  Good riddance!  Not only did I hate the character but I found the acting by Lee Sung Jae as old Young Cheol very grating. I hate Shady otherwise but am grateful to him for finally pulling the plug on YC and ensuring the Abyss went back to its original owner.

- Who was the man who watching OTP during their romantic moment?

- Best scene was of course every SY and CM scenes especially the gorgeous confession scene.  I loved their whole banter throughout that scene before and after the kiss.  How cute that CM had notes!  Happy they are now officially boyfriend and girlfriend after 20 years:heart:

@raziela you and I posted at the same time and had a lot of the same thoughts :lol:

Someone on the thread (I just read through it but I forgot who now) said that the man watching CM and SY on the hilltop was the same man who witnessed Shady Seo leave SY's apartment on the night of the murder. Hmmm not sure if this is true. I would need to go back and re watch those scenes. I will try and do so this week. All I know is, we better not have any more bad guys! 

I see there is a lot of criticism on this thread. I agree with some of it, mainly the detectives being such nimwits. But I don't know even so I am really enjoying the show still! Lol maybe I'm a nimwit myself so it's right up my alley then :P

9 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

I dislike how they make SY to be a lot more care on HJ like that. I see that SY is a soft hearted person inside. But as you said I'm not buying it too. In last night's episode, HJ a bit changed than her in the past. It's just the actress who plays HJ didn't make me feel for her character. I don't mean to judge her but it is much felt when SY with lawyer MD. Their bond feels connected.

I agree HJ's actress isn't very convincing but the script doesn't help her either. The writing for the character is just weak..  Another part that annoyed me in episode 12 was when she got mad at Shady for leaving when they were younger.  I mean I don't like Shady but he was also an abused child too.  He was having a pretty crappy time of things himself.

6 hours ago, turtlegirl said:

Just watched the latest episodes of Abyss! So good! Everything is really picking up in pace. It looks like it's gonna be a showdown with Shady Seo from here on out! 

So I'll post some thoughts in no particular order.

-I really thought HJ would be the one to pull the plug on YC. I was yelling at her to go in and pull it haha. But then it was Shady Seo who did it. Ha ha little does he know what he did with the Abyss now...

-Speaking of HJ, I'm so proud of her for standing up to YC. I knew she wouldn't suddenly turn bad. High five HJ!

-Speaking of Shady Seo, I can't believe he killed his own mother. Yes I know technically not blood mother, but still! What a rotten SOB.

-Now is mom going to be revived or not? Preview made it seem like she may not be. But surely they must revive her! Poor innocent sweet lady. 

-So glad some secrets have been revealed esp SY realizing that it was Seo who killed her. She's one tough cookie and is gonna go after him so hard. Also looking forward to seeing CM defend her. I'm all about girl power but I also enjoy the tall strong protective male :rolleyes:

-I felt sooo bad for Detective Park! I can't wait for his redemption to come. 

-CM and SY are pure love. That scene on top of the hill overlooking the cityscape was sooo cute. Their little bantering back and forth and CM's cheesy but sweet lines...just a big AWW. 

Now some things I'm still confused about.

-Gi Man - what is with his storyline now? Who was that guy who ratted him out on the little traffic accident? Was it someone working for the Judge (I thought he was top prosecutor but they called him Judge these episodes)? I think I need to re watch his scenes. 

-And now for the most confusing part for me...who was the dude watching CM and SY having their love fest on the hilltop? His smile seemed genuine and like he was a good guy....but who was he?? Do we have any guesses?

I'll be reading back through the thread soon! Look forward to hearing y'alls insights :)

- I think you are the only person who always has something nice to say about HJ in this thread!:lol:

- Shady Seo confuses me too!  Seemed like he had some affection for HJ's mum in previous episodes but he just went all bad this episode.  I don't understand why he didn't just kill YC instead. This drama is making me so cold-blooded.

- I believe that guy worked for the Shady Seo's new dad.  I guess because PGM wants him to reveal the truth and that won't look good for the Judge as he's trying to cover things up about his real son.

- I also wondered about the guy watching them fondly.  I agree he seemed like a good person .  I wondered if he might be another alien keeping an eye on them?  My other thought was maybe CM's late father as he knew how much CM liked SY?  Don't ask me why CM's dad might be alive lol!  Who knows with this drama when people are always popping back up alive!

6 hours ago, turtlegirl said:

@raziela you and I posted at the same time and had a lot of the same thoughts :lol:

Someone on the thread (I just read through it but I forgot who now) said that the man watching CM and SY on the hilltop was the same man who witnessed Shady Seo leave SY's apartment on the night of the murder. Hmmm not sure if this is true. I would need to go back and re watch those scenes. I will try and do so this week. All I know is, we better not have any more bad guys! 

I see there is a lot of criticism on this thread. I agree with some of it, mainly the detectives being such nimwits. But I don't know even so I am really enjoying the show still! Lol maybe I'm a nimwit myself so it's right up my alley then :P

I just realised we overlapped with our posts:D  You are definitely not a nimwit.  I enjoy your enthusiasm and your contributions to the thread a lot:) 

I think a lot of us are just frustrated because there is a great cast and the premise of the story had so much potential but the drama hasn't lived up to it.

I rewatched the scene on the hilltop and I personally don't think it is the same actor as the cardboard guy.  Another mystery...

OMG I was smiling like a total fool while watching their hilltop scene. We finally find out that SY indeed did like CM a few times over the past 20 years. Only she felt he gave up too easily after she rejected him (harshly) a few times LOL. Love how CM is so adorably cheesy and SY is so direct. So happy they are official and going steady now :lol:. Same question as you all - who was that man looking at them? I'll need to go back and re-watch.

I felt bad for Dong Cheol getting blamed for the fraud paternity test. It seems SY is refusing to give up so easily on her instincts so I hope she figures out the relationship chart and is able to link the coma son to the chief prosecutor then expose him and shady Seo.

I'm so sad about HJ's mother. She really did try her best to protect her kids :tears:. RIP.

Evil YC finally dies!! Interesting that it was HJ and Seo who masterminded the plan. After all that abuse by him, I'm glad it was them who killed him.

Preview: So it looks like some of the unknowns from episode 1 will circle back and be revealed in next week's episode. I've been itching to know why SY's law school colleague was killed by YC and/or maybe Seo and what is the meaning of the photo of the boy and girl that SY found slipped inside the comic book. It must be of Seo and HJ or else why would Seo be upset that SY has it now. SY seems fierce in the upcoming episodes. Can't wait to see her showdown with Seo!!

4 hours ago, turtlegirl said:

I saw him and I thought that he would be Cha Min's father but in early episodes they said he had died already so I have no clue who he is now.

Why would you watch a young couple confessing their feelings for so long? Plus wasn't it in the middle of the night?

And oh yeah, have no clue what the plot is now. Am just watching for the OTP. Literally. Because I have no clue what is happening and why. And not interested. It's just people running around. again.

As for Hee Jin, all I can see are reminders of other actresses. With facial Botox. Or rather cheeks. Because the acting. Or is her acting bad? Is affected. Zero facial movements. Is she a known actress?

I am so late because the countries I am visiting does not allow me to watch in my channel the day of releases. Anyway, this is a rather unique series and you know what PBY can make any of his partners relax and acting properly! She’s “small but very terrible”! Hands up for her quality acting! 

11 minutes ago, mskk1354 said:

So that old man secretly looking at them was the guy from that was cleaning the trash in first episode. I don't think he's bad. I think he's an alien looking after SY and CM.

Thanks for getting this side-by-side for us! So interesting...I don't think he's bad either. His smile seemed genuine. I thought maybe CM's father too somehow but then how would he even recognize CM without knowing about the abyss? The place seemed like a place CM maybe visits often. Also didn't it look like some sort of temple? Maybe the guy really is some alien or angel or supernatural being. Hmmm....

came here to ask for 2 things:

1. about that old guy looking at them, but thanks to @mskk1354 i already got my answer even before asking.

2. does anyone got subbed of the part where SY's parents were brought to CM's vacation house? I want to understand but all subbed sites i watch doesn't have that part.  anyone?

1 hour ago, turtlegirl said:

I came across a nice FMV :)

What a great find...thank you!! Watching this made me realize that the two have come such a long way and have been through so much together. One of SY's lines to CM from the hilltop scene totally stuck with me. She said, "The entire situation is absurd, but I've been enjoying my life with gratitude as well. If I hadn't died and been brought back to life, I may never have lived so passionately and honestly like this. Especially when it comes to love." The Abyss story may be a bit bizarre, but it's been heartwarming to see CM and SY getting a second chance to realize how important they are to each other. If I was that mysterious man who saw them on the hilltop so cutely, I would be smiling at them like he did too :).

Archived