[Drama 2018-2019] Top Star Yoo Baek 톱스타 유백이

larus

Omg @joonminfan . Just reading your recaps especially the preview is making my heart race . Thanks so much :kiss_wink:

So it seems KS is having a change of heart . Lol! As I suspected, she ain’t dolling up for MD and it seems she isn’t as eager to marry him, her childhood sweetheart- the man who was supposedly the only one who can make her heart beat faster ! 

While this isn’t exactly a fantasy drama @akiera , there does seem to have some fairy tale / magical element going on. The boat captain said some rather cryptic things to YB . And the sand glass is a metaphor of YB’s life . Being on this island is restoring his soul & giving him back life . If he had not come here , I believe  he would have overdosed on sleeping pills. 

I think the writer is trying to highlight the pressures of being a celebrity especially an idol starting from a young age . No childhood / proper teen hood . And as he transitioned to a top actor , the expectations kept getting higher . There’s no room for error as you have to keep your image . It’s no wonder he’s always on the edge, driving himself hard , can’t sleep & feels so suffocated.

I understand now why KJS decided to take this role .

Spoiler

If I recall correctly, in an early interview, he said among the many scripts given to him , this was the one that resonates with him apart from the unique setting of it being filmed on the island . I remember in an interview he gave a while ago , he said that he took a  break for several months ( think this was after “ Angel Eyes  “ ) just doing nothing and watching dramas . Seem he was not too satisfied with his roles then , a bit depressed as he mentioned no matter how many other things he has done , the audience will only remember you for that one role . So I think he is able to project a lot of his own experience into the emotional scenes here 

https://thesunnytown.wordpress.com/2015/04/14/april-2015-elle-sexy-brain-kim-ji-suk-problematic-interview/

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. Maybe the Island is something like Brigadoon With an enchanted  ideal  place Stuck in time:

Gene Kelly, Cyd Charisse and Van Johnson star in this classic American film musical about a powerful love and the magical town Brigadoon. When two Americans, Tommy Albright (Kelly) and Jeff Douglas (Johnson), happen upon the innocent and magical town nestled in the Scottish Highlands, Tommy falls in love with Brigadoon's Fiona Campbell (Charisse). But this wondrous town appears only one day every 100 years--never long enough to be corrupted by the outside world--and Tommy can only stay with Fiona if loves her enough to forever leave the life he knows.

Its a great movie BTW. 

14 hours ago, triplem said:

I understand now why KJS decided to take this role .

Reveal hidden contents

If I recall correctly, in an early interview, he said among the many scripts given to him , this was the one that resonates with him apart from the unique setting of it being filmed on the island . I remember in an interview he gave a while ago , he said that he took a  break for several months ( think this was after “ Angel Eyes  “ ) just doing nothing and watching dramas . Seem he was not too satisfied with his roles then , a bit depressed as he mentioned no matter how many other things he has done , the audience will only remember you for that one role . So I think he is able to project a lot of his own experience into the emotional scenes here 

https://thesunnytown.wordpress.com/2015/04/14/april-2015-elle-sexy-brain-kim-ji-suk-problematic-interview/

I’ve liked KJS since I watched him in 2007’s Likeable or Not, and disliked his character in Personal Taste. I haven’t watched anything else of his since then (I actually don’t watch a lot of kdramas) until last year’s 20th Century Boy and Girl. Oh I absolutely loved him and the heart-fluttering way he loved the female lead. I heard that he was really great as the tyrannical king in Rebel: Thief who stole the People, so that is actually on my next-to-watch list. Loving him here in Top Star Yoo Baek even though it’s just two episodes in, but he’s never over-the-top, and the way he conveys emotions with his eyes just gets me in my heart. I hope he will get more and more lead roles henceforth because he really is a great actor. Fighting, Kim Ji Suk!

Edited to say that I finally found Ep 1 with English subs on ....! :D

@joonminfan AGREED that KJS is such a good actor . He’s got a way with making you like him . I just watched it with English subs . ( how many times have I watched it now ! :lol:) . Sorry had to remove the site name you mentioned as it is illegal & we can’t put it out here in the open . Anyone needing the site can PM me or you . But anyway many of the usual sites have already picked it up.

Even though I’m watching this for the 3rd time ( not including all the countless times I have seen the cuts on IG ) I still enjoyed it and found myself giggling . I paid more attention to the other things . I have to say supporting cast are really good & natural especially the village folk. And I love the doc and her crazy sense of humour . 

Some things I noticed from eps 1

1. At the police station , his manager said he’s got a weird disease - highly suspicious of everything because of some past incident which I suppose is referring to his backstory in eps 2

2. When Ks was out diving with the others she said she saw a big turtle - the other lady diver said it’s the sea gods sign that there will be a new King . I wonder if it’s metaphorical for YB  dethroning MD from KS’s heart .

3. When he arrived , the boatman said two cryptic lines to him

- Because I have worked so long , it’s time to stop

- What’s the ending for the lost star ? 

It is referring to him , the TOP star who lost his way . 

@triplem oops I’m still navigating forums like this so I didn’t know about the rule. Thank goodness you helped to remove it.

Anyway, I have not watched the episode with English subs yet, but based on the three scenes you mentioned, there are some slight differences between the translation to English and the translation to Chinese. I’m not sure which one is more accurate. Having said that, I think for this drama, I may just stick to Chinese subs although it pains me so much to have to read the characters while trying to watch the actors’ expressions and body language. And anyway, it seems like Chinese subs are out pretty fast! I will still try to recap subsequent episodes using the Chinese subs, unless English subs come out faster. 

I just realised for the first watch, I missed lots of details coz I was trying to catch up on reading the subs, second watch while doing the recap I couldn’t really focus on the acting, if not I will take too long to write the recap. The third watch should be able to allow me to watch expressions and body language more closely since I more or less know the conversations taking place. So, off to watch Ep 2 a third time! 

@joonminfan Oh please do continue with your recaps using the Chinese subs if you can  . It’s closer to korean . It’s probably a lot closer than the English subs that is currently used as the latter is translated from Indonesian. So a lot is not quite captured .

12 minutes ago, triplem said:

@joonminfan Oh please do continue with your recaps using the Chinese subs if you can  . It’s closer to korean . It’s probably a lot closer than the English subs that is currently used as the latter is translated from Indonesian. So a lot is not quite captured .

Ah I see.. I will try my best, unless RL gets in the way.

Are there subs for this drama? Why is is taking so long?

I just find a  video with Madol and KangSoon. They are so cute. How can I start to like Kang Soon and Yoo Baek after watching this. They seem perfect for each other.  I have to watch the drama because it will be more easier to see who is my OTP. I hope nobody will be heartbroken in the end. 

Guys, pls do not post all the sites that are offering  the English subs . These are all illegal sites.  What you can do is tell others here to PM you .

@larus The subs are available but they are  all fan subbed . Translated from Indonesian. 

I think I’m really spamming :lol:. I hope now with the availability of subs , more can enjoy as much as the local audience are . Another site translated more Naver comments 

credit http://melohwa.blogspot.com/2018/11/top-star-yoo-baek-ep-2-spoilers-kim-ji.html?m=1

Everyone is asking for twice a week :D 

[Top Star Yoo-Baek] Ep 2 spoilers, Kim Ji Suk x Jeon So Min 

yoo.png

Article: Naver 'Top Star Yoo-Baek' Kim Ji Suk and Jeon So Min made up.. Lee Sang Yeob puts them on guard 

1. [+792,-9]
Why is it airing only once a week... 

2. [+528,-10]
This is unexpectedly a healing drama. 

3. [+386,-9]
Airing it only once a week........ ㅠㅠㅠㅠ is too much. Air it tomorrow too. 

4. [+369,-6]
Daebak drama~~~~~ Top star Yoo-Baek is really interesting. 

5. [+294,-10]
Jeon So Min came out really lovely. 

6. [+156,-6]
Ah, this one is really interesting. Kim Ji Suk's and Jeon So Min's character matches really well. The supporting roles are so funny too. I laughed at every scene. They are being too much for only airing it once a week. 

7. [+148,-2]
I was watching I Live Alone, and started to watch this. Not regretting it. I think I'll watch this every week.... 

Article: Naver 'Top Star Yoo-Baek' Kim Ji Suk and Jeon So Min, fight  made up  begins living together for another 2 weeks 

1. [+316,-4]
I hope Yoo-Baek becomes a hit. It's so fun. 

2. [+211,-6]
I really think that the casting was done well.. There isn't an acting hole.. Everyone is good.. 

3. [+159,-0]
Looks like Kim Ji Suk specializes in characters like these. He delivers his lines well too. 

4. [+152,-5]
These days, there isn't any drama worth watching. They are boring.. But I strongly recommend this one. It's fun. 

5. [+82,-4]
I can't watch this.... I can't endure my appetite for food watching it. What do they want me to do with that Heoguksu [t/n: noodles with raw fish]

6. [+63,-0]
No, but isn't it too much that they are only airing this once a week? I can only watch this once a week. 

7. [+51,-0]
I like dramas like these. No villains, and comical~~ 

8. [+44,-0]
It's just a really obvious story about a top star and a countryside girl. But it's so funny and interesting. The story is enjoyable, and the each villager has their own personality too. 

9. [+43,-0]
It would be better if they do 2 episodes a week

Planning to watch 2nd episode tonight. :heart: 

glad netizens love this drama and wanting to make this drama twice a week. I need to hear KJS says "scrambled egg" more often. :joy:

1 hour ago, triplem said:

Seeing these BTS stills makes me squeal.

Me too!!! I can't ship them in real life but they definitely look cute together. I'll just ship YB and KS crazily then. Hahaha.

13 hours ago, triplem said:

The subs are available but they are  all fan subbed . Translated from Indonesian. 

Thanks. I will search for them.

On 11/24/2018 at 7:56 PM, joonminfan said:

For those who have not managed to watch with subs, I'm just going to add on to @triplem's live recap of Ep 2.

Thankk again for the hard work.

On 11/26/2018 at 5:48 PM, annie1234 said:

Planning to watch 2nd episode tonight. :heart: 

glad netizens love this drama and wanting to make this drama twice a week. I need to hear KJS says "scrambled egg" more often. :joy:

Me too!!! I can't ship them in real life but they definitely look cute together. I'll just ship YB and KS crazily then. Hahaha.

I’m addicted to so many words here :

1. Scrambled eggs 

2. Chop su

3. Koshiki  :D 

4. Daga 

Love these edits 

And there’s hope for proper subs coz Viu  HK is going to show this , so maybe they see the need to  sub this in English too for Viu users from other regions like me . Wishing hard . 

Spoiler

This drama is so refreshing and all the lush green shots of the island is so captivating.The simple villagers steal the show.I couldn't stop laughing at the  helicopter guy:sweat_smile:.The villagers have got their own human helicopter.lol.

All the food showcased makes me damn hungry.Well,they should have put a warning at the beginning of this drama-Not for the ones who are on a diet..:lol:..am just kidding

When I saw YB's entry I was wonderstruck.I have watched only one drama of his i.e personal taste where he was the evil second lead.But here he is scorching the screen and is not afraid to bare everything.He is so happy to take off his clothes all the time ...lol.:D

KS is a darling.Her village accent is hilarious.The love triangle is so unpredictable in this one.Can't wait for the next episode.

40 minutes ago, RobinM said:

Is there one of those correlation charts thingies for this drama? I always like to exam those.

Do you mean character chart ? Here’s a link 

http://program.m.tving.com/tvn/topstaruback/13/Contents/Html

welcome to the thread @ashbelle! This drama is a KJS fan service at its best :lol:

we can anticipate these scenes  in the coming episodes 

Just finished the first two episodes on my hectic busy schedule and I am liking it soo far. Cannot believe Jeon SoMin can play this character, it's soo hard to take her as this character, but after seeing her on running man. Oh Kang Soon is made for Jeon SoMin. Lol. :lol:

Really looking forward to more and see how this story will turn out. It just sucks that it's once a week and the subs are a little slow, but it's a good drama to just sit relax and watch.

Thanks everyone for sharing BTS videos.

Archived