[Drama 2018] Your Honor / Dear Judge, 친애하는 판사님께

Maetawinz

I did a little digging to find out why ratings were depressed. Sad to say, DJ/YH is up against TVN's Familiar Wife, anchored by Ji Sung, admittedly another credible and solid actor. Familiar Wife saw ratings go up from 4.7% for ep.1 to 5.5% in ep.2 (very solid rating for a cable network), so much so that every other drama is suffering in terms of ratings. If you compare yesterday's ratings with last Thurs ratings, see a definite depression from 7.7% in ep.4 to 7.1% in ep.8 with the debut of Familiar Wife this week. 

Looks like an uphill battle for the drama... Nevertheless, DJ/YH fighting!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SBS broadcast captured photos:

2018080223131698038_1533219195.jpg

Yu-young learned the goodness of Han Kang-Ho.

http://mstoo.asiae.co.kr/view.htm?no=2018080223133714727#imadnews

image_readtop_2018_487055_15332167293410

... Shin said, "Are you a judge?" He cried, and Han Kang-ho said "No" and pretended not to know. I gave half of my life, so please do not give up until the end. " 

http://m.mk.co.kr/news/headline/2018/487055

Enjoying this drama! It has everything both funny and melo moments.

The whole cast is doing great, from the leads to the supporting roles.

Hopefully Your Honor will continue to maintains its position.

2 hours ago, yoondonggu said:

I did a little digging to find out why ratings were depressed. Sad to say, DJ/YH is up against TVN's Familiar Wife, anchored by Ji Sung, admittedly another credible and solid actor. Familiar Wife saw ratings go up from 4.7% for ep.1 to 5.5% in ep.2 (very solid rating for a cable network), so much so that every other drama is suffering in terms of ratings. If you compare yesterday's ratings with last Thurs ratings, see a definite depression from 7.7% in ep.4 to 7.1% in ep.8 with the debut of Familiar Wife this week. 

Looks like an uphill battle for the drama... Nevertheless, DJ/YH fighting!

I think you will find there is a marked difference between Ep 7 and then Ep 8 in DJ ratings.  FW was always going to be a contender...coming off the success of W3SK last week in the same cable channel.  What's interesting is that FW starts at 930 and finishes at 1030 so there's an overlap for first 1/2hr of DJ on Wed and Thu night.  Then you will notice that the second half ratings seem to rise for DJ...maybe because those who have finished watching FW tune into SBS and watch second half of DJ?  We'll see how DJ ratings continue.  It held its own last week during finale of W3SK which was hugely popular so hopefully it will keep doing that and improving week by week.

I am really enjoying the drama.  It has a good mix of everything.  Engaging cast, strong plot line, good character development, and underlying messages to boot so it's hitting all the right notes for me.  

It's funny that in this case, his brother (the judge), the prosecutor and the lawyer are corrupted but not him, the criminal. Funny is that the prosecutor and lawyer want to remove him from the bench for not playing with both of them.

15 hours ago, jongski said:

I'm done. So let me say once again I got engrossed enjoyed it. Still my current fav ( too bad Life drama not sub. so hard to understand)

@bebebisous33 couple questions as I'm confused. Thanks.

Soo Ho submitted his resignation. He wanted to take a 6 months vacation. I think there was threat in his life and he's  ( supposed to be) going to  make a different sentence to Osung chairnan? Ep 1 they were at the bar with that abusive father of the Sung Cheol. Bribing?

I'm confused about the Park Hae na case and trial. I need to rewatch again  I think.

First, you have to remember that SH fought with his girlfriend and they had broken up. Since she called him a jerk, I suspect that she had discovered something about him: he was not a good judge, rather siding with the powerful people. Notice that as soon as she heard about the verdict of LSH, she wanted to get close to him again and even reconcile with him.

That's why I believe that his resignation is connected to the break up. It was the first time that he had found someone nice and not really interested in his social background. So it must have been painful for him to be abandoned like that as he never saw his mother and brother as his own family. His destination of his travel is interesting: it is a pilgrim road!! Although the original purpose of such a pilgrim road was to demonstrate his faith (religious motivation), nowadays a lot of people make a pilgrimage in order to find themselves as they feel that they have lost themselves in the process. I think that SH wanted to realize what he really wanted in his life: his goal in life, what really matters to him aso. I guess, the break-up with his girlfriend was the trigger for him to stop from getting more and more corrupt. He wanted to vanish and have a clean start in his life. 

Striking is that he didn't do it as he was kidnapped before. In the end, he is still vicious and mean as he has no remorse to use his own brother as a bait. So SH has not reflected on his wrongdoing. Actually, he just wants to discover the identity of his enemies so that once his brother is dead, he can have them arrested. 

As for PHN's case, it is quite simple. She was forced to become the scapegoat so that LSH's criminal activities remain uncovered. LSH seems to be involved in the drug dealing. Just like with the other victim, PHN could take the blame in exchange she was promised that after her conviction, she would get full support for her career. 

@yusefull I believe that this is one of the main points of this drama: all the judges, prosecutors and lawyers have studied laws but in the end, this doesn't mean that they are good people. Studying laws is not a guarantee that they will use their knowledge for justice. In reality, most of them are using the law for their own benefit. SJH is different as she has been a victim before. For KH, it is different as he had been condemned for something he didn't do. Moreover, he has learnt very early that money and power are the only rules for justice. So far, he was disillusioned. Striking is that he has always had a good sense of justice, whereas his brother didn't have. SH hates his brother as he only sees him as violent and rude. To me, SH is really self-centered and has a short memory. He is not able to put himself in someone else's shoes.   

It is interesting that SH's mother and OSC's father are the reason why their son became "corrupt". Nenetheless OSC still knows that his actions are wrong... but he justifies them by saying that it is how the world is. He has the impression that nothing can change this world for the better, hence he thinks that if he wants to be recognized by his own father, he must act like him: we see how little by little OSC is losing his integrity. He stops feeling upset and he just swallows what his defendants are saying. You could sense that when the accused (DUI causing the death of a pregnant woman) said that she had made a little mistake, he really didn't like her words but he didn't correct her or reprimanded her for her choice of words. He knew from the start that she didn't see the impact of her actions. He even helped her to appear as remorseful... OSC learnt it from SJH.

I hope that once the kidnappers realize that SH/KH is ruling as a good judge, they wonder if they should keep their revenge. 

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

First, you have to remember that SH fought with his girlfriend and they had broken up. Since she called him a jerk, I suspect that she had discovered something about him: he was not a good judge, rather siding with the powerful people. Notice that as soon as she heard about the verdict of LSH, she wanted to get close to him again and even reconcile with him.

I thought it was because he told her he was going to resign and go on that pilgrimage (good catch I didn't think about that link - I just thought it was a holiday) and she couldn't believe he would give up on his career (I vaguely remember she's really ambitious so it wouldn't make sense to her that he would give up wealth and status just like that) and so they have a fight about it and decided to break up?  So when she saw him catapulted as a star judge after that LSH ruling, and seemed like he had abandoned his initial intention of resigning and going on that pilgrimage, she thought he changed his mind, so suddenly he's back to being the man of ambition that she liked again?  Although your theory could be right too.  Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I think you're right about SH.  People like him end up with a lot of self loathing because they've allowed themselves to be like pawns, pushed around and never really making a stand for anything so eventually they don't know who they are anymore.  They feel empty.  At some point they crumble.  So wanting to just give everything up and go on that spiritual journey to 'find himself' again makes sense.  He resents his brother.  I am still trying to work out why.  Maybe secretly he actually envies the fact that his Brother KH just lives exactly as he pleases and doesn't care about consequences...for someone who is totally controlled and meticulous (notice how particular he is when he puts down all his stuff in the bowl when he comes home, how he is neat and tidy and ordered, how ordered his fridge is with all the containers), you envy those who just don't give a damn and just live life as they please with no fear.  That's KH.  He's messy, wild, free spirited.  When he's angry, he lets fly.  You know exactly how he feels at any one point in time.

Great points about SH's mum and OSC's dad.

And amid all this chaos is SE...a beacon of what's right.  No wonder OSC falls for her and KH warms to her charms too.  I am gradually warming to KH too.  The kindness to his mum (even though she still shows total disregard to him - come on mum - all he wants is a little love?  Less rebuke, less scolding.  Just a hug even?), giving all the bribe money to the man whose Father lost his eye, cute pick up lines with SE (buying everything in a store coz he doesn't know what she likes - aww...feels...):wub:.

@nrllee About SH: In my opinion, he must have felt pressured by his mother who expected him to have the best grades. But there is more to it. I see some similarities between SH and the other rich chaebols like LSH and the rapist. SH might come from a poor family but the mother allowed everything, when it comes to him. LSH learnt from his family that with money he could escape any problem. SH learnt it the same way: if his mother was by his side, then he could do anything. Notice that she has never doubted SH. She is not mad that he ignores her, she accepts his harsh treatment... She keeps treating him better than KH. She only realized that it was KH, when she saw his tears and how upset he was. KH couldn't abandon his mother hurt. He had to make sure, she was okay. SH would have never paid attention to her. He wished, she was dead just like his brother. 

19 hours ago, rachelyun said:

Ratings:

Ep.7: 5.8%

Ep.8: 7.1%

Still number 1 in this time slot.

Good job! Your Honor ratings.  I'm not sure how others  feel but I don't bother with those. It would be nice if a good drama gets recognize.

But speaking for myself 90% of dramas I deemed good as in  well written well acted, good cinematography, directing and  even music just over all quality.... they tend to lag in ratings. Case in point 2016 tvn Memory. That is such a lovely sad well made drama. . I guess I have a different concept of successful drama.

15 hours ago, nrllee said:

It held its own last week during finale of W3SK which was hugely popular so hopefully it will keep doing that and improving week by week.

I am really enjoying the drama.  It has a good mix of everything.  Engaging cast, strong plot line, good character development, and underlying messages to boot so it's hitting all the right notes for me.  

Same here. Enjoying this drama. Oh and  took me several minutes ti trying to think what is W3SK :D

7 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

his resignation is connected to the break up. It was the first time that he had found someone nice and not really interested in his social background. So it must have been painful for him to be abandoned like that as he never saw his mother and brother as his own family. His destination of his travel is interesting: it is a pilgrim road!! Although the original purpose of such a pilgrim road was to demonstrate his faith (religious motivation), nowadays a lot of people make a pilgrimage in order to find themselves as they feel that they have lost themselves in the process. I think that SH wanted to realize what he really wanted in his life: his goal in life, what really matters to him aso. I guess, the break-up with his girlfriend was the trigger for him to stop from getting more and more corrupt. He wanted to vanish and have a clean start in his life. 

Striking is that he didn't do it as he was kidnapped before. In the end, he is still vicious and mean as he has no remorse to use his own brother as a bait. So SH has not reflected on his wrongdoing. Actually, he just wants to discover the identity of his enemies so that once his brother is dead, he can have them arrested

@bebebisous33 Thanks for the explanation. SH being corrupt.  I like his character more than KH.  Redeemable you think?

Watching ep 4 now.

19 minutes ago, jongski said:

Good job! Your Honor ratings.  I'm not sure how others  feel but I don't bother with those. It would be nice if a good drama gets recognize.

But speaking for myself 90% of dramas I deemed good as in  well written well acted, good cinematography, directing and  even music just over all quality.... they tend to lag in ratings. Case in point 2016 tvn Memory. That is such a lovely sad well made drama. . I guess I have a different concept of successful drama.

Same here. Enjoying this drama. Oh and  took me several minutes ti trying to think what is W3SK :D

@bebebisous33 Thanks for the explanation. SH being corrupt.  I like his character more than KH.  Redeemable you think?

Watching ep 4 now.

Honestly, I sympathize more with KH than with SH because he is the one who abandoned his own family. To me, SH is really ruthless and selfish but the fact that he wanted to stop working for powerful people is an indication that he is not entirely bad. KH's behaviour might appear gross and tactless but strangely, you can see through him. He is longing for recognition and love. He can't help himself for paying attention to others. He was the first one who noticed the sexual harassment and he didn't really forget it. He can distinguish right from wrong, unlike his brother. Yes, KH acts a little like a weirdo but that's his disguise to a certain extent. Notice how he acted like a fan in front of HNJ... until he questioned her about LSH so suddenly. She told the truth and revealed unintentionally that there was more behind. KH is definitely street smart.

SH didn't hear the screams from SJH's sister but he took pictures of the butterfly hence I am wondering if we will discover later that he had evidence for the crime but didn't use it as he was a friend of the rapist. 

I am loving the pithy lines given to KH that are laced with irony...

KH : You people got the courts involved in a war between corporations. What a great country this is.

Guy giving KH money  : Isn't a business-friendly country considered a good country?

I am with @bebebisous33  in the KH camp presently.  SH was at the cusp of repentance but he has slipped back to being vindictive again.  KH has this innate sense of justice which he actually acts on (unlike OSC and SH who know it's wrong yet choose to stay on the sidelines and do nothing).  KH was going to leave his brother to the gang of school boys but when he saw the knife pulled, he mumbled, 'it isn't right' and stepped in.  Same with his Mom when he got the phone call from his inmate friend.  You can see the inner struggle within and every time, his moral compass swings to the right and he steps in every time.  Again with the money, originally he was only going to give some of the bribe money to the son whose father was blinded but his sense of justice pushed him to give him all of it.  He has a belief system he sticks by and acts on so personally I think he sleeps better at night than SH does.  His conscience is clear.  With KH what you see is what you get so paradoxically is trustworthy despite his criminal past.  SH has a mask on constantly, he is not to be trusted.

Agreed @jongski about your take on what constitutes good drama.  I think YH/DJ is very different from your run of the mill KDramas.  It is attempting to deliver a message (or messages) and the writer has woven it into a plot line to make it more palatable.  It will not be to everyone's liking.  If you're someone who comes home and just wants drama to just be a form of mindless escape then YH/DJ is not for you.  It delves too much into gritty reality and it even throws in satire (hence KH's almost comical character - he "laughs at the law" like he told reporters).  No wonder thinking actors/actresses like YSY, LYY and SDI jumped at it when they got hold of the script.  When you are serious about your art form you want to be able to send salient messages to the audience through it.  I am loving it right now.

6 hours ago, jongski said:

Watching ep 4 now.

I only watched episode 1 but his brother stopped him from getting stabbed then lied to the police how can anyone support him at all? 

2 hours ago, Wotad said:

I only watched episode 1 but his brother stopped him from getting stabbed then lied to the police how can anyone support him at all? 

Well, SH decided to remain silence which is worse because his silence made the mother not to believe KH. By saying nothing, he gives the impression that he tries to protect his brother (he is afraid of lying for his brother), while in reality it was the opposite.

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Well, SH decided to remain silence which is worse because his silence made the mother not to believe KH. By saying nothing, he gives the impression that he tries to protect his brother (he is afraid of lying for his brother), while in reality it was the opposite.

I mean KH did not bring out the knife so SH saying nothing meant his mother hate's him even more and he goes to jail for protecting him.  He lied by not sticking up for his brother who was defending him. 

I hate KH with a passion after watching all the episodes hes happy to watch his brother die for what reason . SH was mistreated and had no love and you hate him? 

Archived