[Drama 2018] Your Honor / Dear Judge, 친애하는 판사님께

Maetawinz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Maetawinz ur welcome for translations but take it with a grain of salt...I am not Korean so I may misinterpret stuff.  :D

Just putting it out there but I am officially in love with LYY's character SoEun... vulnerability   but with deep moral convictions and the courage to stand up unflinchingly when called to the task.  A quiet heroine with a moral compass that stays true. :wub: 

Spoiler

KH : Rewrite it.

SE (steely gaze) : I...will...not.

:wub: Me : You GO girl!! #metoo

Can' wait for Ep 2.  And yup it's my current fav. Whoever is subbing this is fast. So thumbs up. Was gushing with Ep 1 in my previous post (was long) cos I enjoyed it much.  But I wonder who abducted the twin judge  Soo Ho. I'll watch Ep 2 later. 

6 hours ago, jongski said:

Can' wait for Ep 2.  And yup it's my current fav. Whoever is subbing this is fast. So thumbs up. Was gushing with Ep 1 in my previous post (was long) cos I enjoyed it much.  But I wonder who abducted the twin judge  Soo Ho. I'll watch Ep 2 later. 

I have just watched the first episode (1-2) but in my opinion, the one who kidnapped the judge is the son/relative of the convicted in the beginning. Remember, the drama starts with HSH condemning the accused to be executed.Your honor 2.pngYour Honor 1.png

@nrllee (edit) Then the mother is somehow responsible for her own misery and HKH's self-destructive path. Yes, she favored the eldest son because of his good grades. But the thing is that she thought that good grades mirror the personality of a person. In her mind, good grades mean good boy. However, her eldest son noticed that good appearances could ensure that justice would be on your side. She punished HKH much harder because he didn't accept her judgement. HSH learnt from this: if he acts as if he is obedient, never questions his mother's unfair decisions towards his own brother, then he will be always supported by his mother. That's how HSH got corrupted.

Now to the question why HSH lied about his brother: the guy with the knife had gloves. To me, it seems that he belonged to the upperclass. We saw that HSH was bullied, maybe because he had good grades but he came from a poor family. I can imagine that the other student might have resented him for that. Yet, HSH might have decided to help the boy from the rich family by testifying against his brother. That way, he learnt that he could benefit from the rich. That's why he became a judge. He never had a huge high sense of justice, rather he saw the opportunity to raise above his station by helping the rich families that got involved in criminal cases. There is no way that a judge could afford such a huge flat. On the other hand, this also explains why he tries to cut ties with his own mother, as she had no longer any purpose in his life. She had helped him in the past, now she is just a stain in his life and career. Yet, it seems that HSH might have somehow regretted to lead such a life, as he wanted to resign. Maybe the case where he convicted the defendant to be executed was too much for him... for the first time, it would mean that he had blood on his hands.

The mother could never apologize before because she still doesn't know that her beloved son HSH lied and HKH was a victim who had tried to help his own brother. For her, HSH doesn't lie and the fact that he chose to become a judge is a proof for her that her son HSH has always been dedicated to justice and to the truth.

Okay, there is no way that my "analysis" is 100% correct as the drama has just started.  

So I did a little research about the Judicial system in Korea to work out the background of DJ coz there some things in there that didn't quite make sense to me because it seemed so different from the West.  In Korea, to become a lawyer, prosecutor or judge you have to first pass a Bar exam (there are no specific law schools in Korea, not like Harvard)...and once you get past that, you are trained in the Judicial Research and Training Institute where you train for 2 years and then emerge as a lawyer, judge or prosecutor (I guess there are special exams along the way).  And that's where we see SoEun.  She's a trainee and she can decide to tag along and learn to be a prosecutor (Mr Creepy man Hong) or tag along and be a trainee judge (SuHo) or tag along and be trainee lawyer (Nice Oppa).

There is no jury system in Korea.  The judge has pretty much absolute power and decides the sentence (the death penalty is still practised in Korea).  The prosecutor in Korea actually investigates cases ie they go to crime scenes and post mortems (hence that gruesome scene where Hong takes his potential trainees to the morgue and confronts them with a real post mortem) and they conduct interrogations (that's why SoEun was interrogating KangHo when they first meet).  Prosecutors decide whether or not a case actually gets to a trial stage or not so they have a lot of power.  Lawyers like Nice Oppa (Oh Sang Cheol) are in private practice and they are there to defend clients...they don't actually have a lot of power in the court system and don't even feature in the interrogation process but they earn a lot more money than prosecutors (government body) because they are in private practice and their clients can afford to pay more.  I think that's why nice Oppa told SoEun that if she became a lawyer like him she could afford to have a nice car with a chauffeur, nice house and have a comfortable life.  But that didn't fly with her...she wanted to put people in prison or delve out sentences hence she was going down the path of prosecutor or judge (because of the 'killer' in her).

Hope it helps.  It was helpful for me coz now I know where everyone fits in the system. :D

@nrllee After watching the drama Miss Hammurabi, I learnt that there is a jury system in Korea, but if it is not often used and the request can be made by the defendant. Since this drama (Miss Hamm.) was written by a judge himself, I doubt that he would have created an unrealistic scene (because in there, there was a jury for a certain trial). Moreover, from what I learnt, the judicial system in SK has changed. Before, they only had to pass the exam and the law school was not necessary... but nowadays it is different. they need to visit a law school and study for 4 years before passing the exam. 

Just now, bebebisous33 said:

@nrllee After watching the drama Miss Hammurabi, I learnt that there is a jury system in Korea, but if it is not often used and the request can be made by the defendant. Since this drama (Miss Hamm.) was written by a judge himself, I doubt that he would have created an unrealistic scene (because in there, there was a jury for a certain trial). Moreover, from what I learnt, the judicial system in SK has changed. Before, they only had to pass the exam and the law school was not necessary... but nowadays it is different. they need to visit a law school and study for 4 years before passing the exam. 

Thanks for that clarification - I relied too heavily on Wiki :lol:.  I think they did try to introduce the jury system but it's not always the case like you said, hence why SuHo seems to be the only judge there in court delving out sentences.  As for the law schools I read that there was an uproar when they wanted to change it from the Bar exam...have they passed it as rule now?  I can understand why.  Because if the only way to become a lawyer was to go to special law schools where you have to pay hefty fees then only the rich will be able to afford it.  Having a Bar exam meant that anyone rich or poor could take it (much like the old days in China and Korea where anyone can study hard and take a national exam open to all and get into the court system).  Law school would make sense in this setting coz we see SuHo (where he and Sang Cheol were classmates) in a lecture room talking about using Chinese characters...  Cool. It all makes sense now in my brain. 

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

Thanks for that clarification - I relied too heavily on Wiki :lol:.  I think they did try to introduce the jury system but it's not always the case like you said, hence why SuHo seems to be the only judge there in court delving out sentences.  As for the law schools I read that there was an uproar when they wanted to change it from the Bar exam...have they passed it as rule now?  I can understand why.  Because if the only way to become a lawyer was to go to special law schools where you have to pay hefty fees then only the rich will be able to afford it.  Having a Bar exam meant that anyone rich or poor could take it (much like the old days in China and Korea where anyone can study hard and take a national exam open to all and get into the court system).  Law school would make sense in this setting coz we see SuHo (where he and Sang Cheol were classmates) in a lecture room talking about using Chinese characters...  Cool. It all makes sense now in my brain. 

You're welcome. Actually, all my knowledge is based on watching k-dramas. leaf

Until a certain year (I don't remember which year), the two systems co-existed (an Exam without going to Law school and the Bar exam with law school) because they wanted to have a gradual change. Yes, on the surface the former way seemed to be more equal but it is just an impression. (Watch for example Heard it through the grapevine). People from rich families could hire coachs in order to succeed. In reality, usually the students from the upper-class had more chances to succeed. Real equity has never come true and honestly, I doubt, we will ever get it. Yes, hard work can do wonders but I believe that the other important thing is the support from the family. HSH could succeed because he was supported by his mother, even if they were rather poor.   

34 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

HSH could succeed because he was supported by his mother, even if they were rather poor.   

Spoiler

Although I have a feeling it may not just be his Mother's support and his smarts getting him to the top somehow though... I have a feeling there's a lot more he's hiding... Why did he lie about hearing SoEun's sister's cries for help (?)... Although technically he had ear phones on so maybe the music was so loud he didn't hear her screams?  But he didn't mention that.  And of course the knife incident where his brother took the fall and became all bitter and twisted with resentment...there's something else happening there...

And what you said about true equity is spot on.  World's not fair.  Doesn't mean we just accept it though.  That was the whole of SoEun's argument when KH told her that justice was antiquated and something that only existed in an ideal world...yet she still stood up and said what was right.  Same with the whole #MeToo fiasco.  Everyone accepted that it was just part of the whole sordid entertainment industry, it was normalised and acceptable.  Until someone spoke.  How the Chief Prosecutor (?) swept the whole sexual harrassment issue away was unacceptable, he even turned the whole situation around and told her to accept it as a compliment(?) - what??  Just because it happens all the time doesn't make it right.  Kudos to her for not accepting it and still sticking to her guns and professing her belief in doing what is right even if it is unpopular.  I love her inner strength. :wub:

Soz i I just scrolled up and realised u may not have seen 3&4 and I don't wanna spoil it for u.  So only read after u have seen it to get context 

18 hours ago, Minoo Maani said:

Still cuts :wub:

@CamelKnight those pics which you edited in my above post in fact are in one unit cadre . These 4 pics  in this post also are in one cadre so I haven't broken the posting image rules on purpose or ignorantly. Anyway thanks for editing.

Sorry about that. I hadn't noticed it was one, I thought it were 4 individual pics.

I'll try to look at it better next time :P 

@nrllee When I mentioned that HSH could succeed because he had his mother's support, I wasn't saying that HSH came so far on his own due his intelligence and his mother's support. Like I had written before, he understood from the incident with his brother (knife), he could take advantage of the situation and blackmail the rich kid with the knife. 

I haven't finished watching the second episode yet, but so far I observed some parallels between the trial with the rape and the incident with the knife. There is a reason why he didn't mention the earphones. To me, in this scene HSH shows his "cunning", as he doesn't lie to the judges. He clearly didn't hear her screams, as he was listening to the music. It is an obmission lie because he doesn't mention this fact. However, I suspect that the prosecutor could have asked the question: why didn't he hear her screams? Then he could have mentioned the earphones... I have the impression that HSH had already told the lawyer about it that's why the lawyer never asked this question. But in case that another witness appears, HSH could have still explained the reason. He would have never been caught lying. It was the truth: he didn't hear her screams. He never lied... and to prove his corruption (false testimony), it is much more difficult. I sense that in the case of the assault where his brother was accused, HSH didn't lie either. He didn't see the other guy taking the knife, however he could have explained what had happened before: the other student was bullying and HSH tried to help him. Notice that HSH remained silence. His silence resembles a lot to his obmission lie. That's why HKS got convicted because his brother never gave a real testimony. He remained as close as possible to the ruth but using it to his advantage.

Since HSH likes using Chinese characters, we can better understand HSH's mentality. HSH is definitely an ambiguous man. His verdicts written in Chinese characters are in reality ambiguous... that way, he remains clean on the surface but he can be corrupted. That way, HSH had no problem to yell at the guy that he could just request for a retrial...

Agree ... our lovely actor has a such heart delighting and cheerful character ... :wub:

[Screenplay] Yoon Si-yoon "An actor who makes you laugh and makes you happy" (Dear Judge, Production Presentation)

Kim Jung-rok reporter ilro12@kookje.co.kr | 2018.07.28 00:01
L20180728.99099013758i1.jpg
Yoon Si-yun who laughs happily at the production presentation
L20180728.99099013758i2.jpg

L20180728.99099013758i3.jpg

Spoiler

L20180728.99099013758i4.jpg

L20180728.99099013758i5.jpg

http://www.kookje.co.kr/mobile/view.asp?gbn=v&code=0500&key=20180728.99099013758#cb

I stopped watching midway first episode

when both chief prosecutor and prosecutor ganged up on her.

This isnt going to be a drama only about sexual harrasment is it ?

Tell me those of you who saw it 

I guess they had to show her losing in the beginning to show her turning the tables towards the end of the drama.

Tell me that prosecutor gets his comupence

in the end.

Felt to disturbed to continue.

If any one can can give me a warning if such scenes occur again before i continue watching 

would much appreciate it.

I know this is silly since its only a drama but i seriously hate the idea of something like that happening in real life ! 

I dont want the bad guys winning. Does that make sense to you ?

12 minutes ago, HallyuMint said:

I stopped watching midway first episode

when both chief prosecutor and prosecutor ganged up on her.

This isnt going to be a drama only about sexual harrasment is it ?

Tell me those of you who saw it 

I guess they had to show her losing in the beginning to show her turning the tables towards the end of the drama.

Tell me that prosecutor gets his comupence

in the end.

Felt to disturbed to continue.

If any one can can give me a warning if such scenes occur again before i continue watching 

would much appreciate it.

I know this is silly since its only a drama but i seriously hate the idea of something like that happening in real life ! 

I dont want the bad guys winning. Does that make sense to you ?

Well, later a rape takes place hence I am not sure if you'll bear it. On the other hand, this is a LAW drama which means crimes will be committed.

ES is now working for HSH who is now replaced by his brother HKH. The latter is not someone who likes harassing his juniors.

Wow. I just finished Ep2 with sub.  Best drama currently airing. No doubt about it. For me anyways ( with respect to Mr. Sunshine). I didn't want it to end. I wanted another hour. It is that good! Excellent writing and acting and  with emotional pull. The convictions, of trainee judge So Eun. The confusion and angst ofHong Kang Ho trying to with a powerful abuser  side of Lee Ho Sung for a deferred sentencing. We see different principles from two main characters and this is due to  the experienced they've had from the past. Personal convictions collide. But  of course KH idoesn't know anything, and just goes by the little clueless knowledge he gets from the secretary and assistant and through  the web.  He did say when he saw LHS  that he's a scumbag and the he's filthy rich.

I want So Eun to fully explain the reason why she wrote the "correct" sentence why she did not do the deferred sentencing. If Kang Ho knows what truly happened, he will definitely side with her. HKH is an emotional guy.  He is tough. He gets by acting tough. Being tough he had to fend off for himself while his HSH thrives  as the "best in all of Korea. The number one" ( referring to that exam for judges).

KH is as clueless ignorant when it comes to law and judicial proceedings. He is farce pretending  to be HS. He will not admit to anything because this is  chance for him to see how his brother live his life as the all around beloved son ans favorite of his mother.  He harbors  pain and jealousy  towards HS as he was the one favored by the mother.

As I've said previous post for Ep 1, I didn't like the mother but for this I felt sad when the mother couldn't reach  judge SH while KH not answering the phone. He doesn't know what happened to his brother. With all the events that happened KH hasn;t had time to fully thought of everything. Meaning sit back, talk with the mother, he doesn't even question  where is HSH

"Sense of justice?"

I hated HKH with the last scenes. He doesn't even have the right to say all those things. He isn't damn judge nor lawyer.  He doesn't know anything and did not read what SE wrote. She was telling him that if he read it then he will know why she wrote an appropriate sentence.  7 years is very low for an assault of that nature injuring a man making him blind. Whacking  a camera on an old man's face. heck that could be  manslaughter. The intent to injure because LHS think he's powerful and can do no wrong. 

The couple  kidnapped HSH..wait is that Ji Yeon? They want revenge for the suffering she endured. They endured and that. She was  a victim and the perpetrator and criminal  walked away. Because of what HS has done in the past. I like HSH. I feel and I know I will like his character as the twin more than KH.  We really haven't seen much of KH to judge how he is but from Ep 1, you can tell his demeanor. Cold. Never smiles. He's alone. He's  pptight.. and he's....lonely. We  saw a lot of hardships and  HKH but not much of HSH.

If you have seen  the drama called Duel. There was a bad clone ( like twin brothers). The  twin brother  who had everything was actually the one suffered badly and in an emotional way. HSH reminds of that.  I figured  the twin dynamics to be in that same way for this drama in some ways.

I want to see more of SH in next weeks episode.

14 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I have just watched the first episode (1-2) but in my opinion, the one who kidnapped the judge is the son/relative of the convicted in the beginning. Remember, the drama starts with HSH condemning the accused to be executed.

@nrllee (edit) Then the mother is somehow responsible for her own misery and HKH's self-destructive path. Yes, she favored the eldest son because of his good grades. But the thing is that she thought that good grades mirror the personality of a person. In her mind, good grades mean good boy. However, her eldest son noticed that good appearances could ensure that justice would be on your side. She punished HKH much harder because he didn't accept her judgement. HSH learnt from this: if he acts as if he is obedient, never questions his mother's unfair decisions towards his own brother, then he will be always supported by his mother. That's how HSH got corrupted.

Now to the question why HSH lied about his brother: the guy with the knife had gloves. To me, it seems that he belonged to the upperclass. We saw that HSH was bullied, maybe because he had good grades but he came from a poor family. I can imagine that the other student might have resented him for that. Yet, HSH might have decided to help the boy from the rich family by testifying against his brother. That way, he learnt that he could benefit from the rich. That's why he became a judge. He never had a huge high sense of justice, rather he saw the opportunity to raise above his station by helping the rich families that got involved in criminal cases. There is no way that a judge could afford such a huge flat. On the other hand, this also explains why he tries to cut ties with his own mother, as she had no longer any purpose in his life. She had helped him in the past, now she is just a stain in his life and career. Yet, it seems that HSH might have somehow regretted to lead such a life, as he wanted to resign. Maybe the case where he convicted the defendant to be executed was too much for him... for the first time, it would mean that he had blood on his hands.

The mother could never apologize before because she still doesn't know that her beloved son HSH lied and HKH was a victim who had tried to help his own brother. For her, HSH doesn't lie and the fact that he chose to become a judge is a proof for her that her son HSH has always been dedicated to justice and to the truth.

Okay, there is no way that my "analysis" is 100% correct as the drama has just started.  

@bebebisous33 Thank  you. Your analysis on HSH is spot on.  There was not much scenes of him on ep 1 so I couldn't put into words how I feel about SH but after watching episode 2 and reading this post. I understand now.

Archived