[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

3 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Let the daughter arrive and grow big enough to be interested with someone's hair. There are plenty of heads full of tresses to choose from, either in Jiuchongtian or in Qing Qiu. ;) 

Tell that to Dong Hua and he will become every man’s personal barber/hair stylist.

• LOL 2

Three Lives Three Worlds

Lotus Steps 

"...Wherever you go, lotus grows every steps of the way..."

640.webp

Source: Publishing House 

随书附赠

东华与凤九 全新番外

五万余字 首 次 披露

Bundled with the book

Dong Hua and Feng Jiu's new bonus story

Told for the first time in more than 50,000 words. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
  • Wiggle 2
  • Blob 1

On 1/4/2021 at 1:52 AM, Megan said:

Same! I love Song Xuanren and really wish there were more fics about him or recollections!!!

For me it would be Aranya dying.

He might have thought that in the book after what Zhe Yan said.

I was hoping more along the lines that she wouldn’t kill an innocent child

Correct

Yes it was there when Dong Hua visited her prison.

When she first saw him in the demon realm I believe

Obviously 

家 means both home and family

Thank you for your answers!  I bolded a few above.  Aranya's story was definitely very sad - though I think it would have made a greater impact on me if her cut scenes were included. For example, the back story of how she was rescued by her master (and how this put a twist to her fate with Shen Ye) and her conversation in prison with her mom.  (I believe Dilireba made a comment about how this was one of the more impactful scenes for her filming ELOD so sucks that this was cut!!).  

DH visited Miao Luo so many times briefly in many scenes so I totally missed this foreshadowing.  Thanks!  And when she saw him in the demon realm (that's when he rescued her right?) - I think I remember thinking hmm he didn't even acknowledge the fact that he just saved her.  [Was it because she was in fox form in this scene? Didn’t she revert to being in human form though?]  Which makes me think again when he met FJ's parents and said it was love at first sight, he saw her (1) in this demon realm scene, and (2) when she made the fish as a fairy made in the palace.  Didn't seem to be wowed by her beauty or take note of her in either occasion!

It kind of made me think what was different when he saw her in Qing Qiu when he picked up Bai Qian for the wedding - was it because she was being her true self during this time and that's what he noticed?

On 1/4/2021 at 2:42 AM, MayanEcho said:

Book POV, the space folding magic forced FJ to transform to her original fox form. Drama POV she has partially transformed. In both instances, DH recognised the little red fox he saved at Mt Qinyao against the demonic tiger.

DH already liked her at Jiuchongtian. :lol: Book and drama POV, he did not object to Lian Song's ribbing that if he marries FJ, he will call Ye Hua uncle. Furthermore, book POV, as he waits for winter solstice, he read all he could about FJ.

So he knew she's afraid of snakes, she doesn't go out alone at night, and that she's quite a glutton with food. The gluttony part has played to his decision too on why he gave the pimpon fruit to JH even if FJ won it. JH said it's to help her purge the Qiushui toxin. FJ's evasive answers made him think she'll really make pimpon fruit cake (she somewhat confirmed that too, rather than tell him why exactly she wants it badly).

200 immortal years. Drama POV, Cheng Yu was worrying how lonely FJ would be, "since a day in the fairyland is a year in mortal realm." (Ep54)

She has already left Tai Chen as his pet for around 305 years when she found out from XY that DH was still looking for his pet fox (just before they fell into Fanyin Valley).

Thanks kindly for the welcome and all your responses, so very appreciated.  I am pretty bad at quoting (don't know how to split them) so I just kept in the parts I'm replying to to make the quote shorter!!:

First para... This makes total sense!!  I wish they inserted a little flashback scene to this to connect the dot.  I mentioned earlier, I found it strange he didn’t even notice this fairy that he saved, so glad that he acknowledged it in this scene.

Second para (bolded)... Okay this is the part I’m really going to try to flesh out a bit more (at least from drama POV)… specifically, when and how he started to like her.  Keeping in mind, he doesn’t know anything about her being his pet fox and he doesn’t remember anything from his mortal realm experience (he had some feelings which he couldn’t piece together esp since the trial he read about was not the one he actually experienced), so his feelings were not directed at FJ specifically.  So, with this in mind, did he just start liking her when they met at Qing Qiu when he was there to pick up Bai Qian (first time FJ being herself), and then became interested when she was at the Sky Kingdom (various occasions seeing her rejecting other guys) and got to see how funny and clever she is through various interactions (hot springs, flower pot at the ceremony), handkerchief days?  Then after that, meeting at Fanyin Valley and had more funny/flirty interactions through training days. 

Up to this point I’m going to say he likes her but probably more than he even knows why (through what we know as her resemblance to pet fox).  Then when he found out that she is the pet fox and that she went to the mortal realm to help him through his trial, he finally realized why he had taken such an interest and even started to like FJ.  This is all my speculation – does this make sense and sound logical?  It goes back to what I said in my initial post about the mask/star watching scene in the Dream realm being so important that DH knew it was FJ talking about her own experience despite not having her memories as FJ, because this part helped him gain knowledge of her perspective in loving him, and contributed to his feelings to her. 

Third para... Thank you!  The timing still confuses me a bit.  I caught the part that Cheng Yu said one day in fairyland is a year in mortal realm.  So if it was 200 years in immortal land, isn’t that 73,000 years in mortal realm?  FJ and Gun Gun were in their mortal lives for 73,000 years?!?!

On 1/4/2021 at 3:43 AM, MayanEcho said:

Continuing to the last two questions,

This is the portion IMO wherein the most intense whitewashing of JH's character in the drama was done. Made worse by bad editing as well.

When he gatecrashed the room of DH, explained his reason why, and presented the crystal claw of Meng Hao, DH and FJ were there together. So FJ knew DH had to go save JH, and she was agreeable to it. After all, it was a life at stake.

I think from here, you can compare now the similarities and differences in the drama POV. ^_^ If you don't have copies of the books yet, you can download it from here.

This makes so much more sense and indeed the drama POV was done poorly, I’m positive it was due to the editing and cut scenes.  Many times DH was gobsmacked by the fact that Xiao Yan or others were all in the Demon realm so who was with FJ?!  I interpreted that more as who is protecting her, but really the surprise should have been stemmed from the fact that no one communicated to her what’s happening on his end.

I think the key scene which I would have liked to have been in the drama was the part about how XY came to see DH and gave the crystal claw to him and FJ was there with him.  So she knew exactly why he went to see her (unlike the drama where she was kept completely in the dark and even her father knew about it and told her as she was in her wedding dress…poor girl :tears:).  So in the book, what made FJ leave?  Did she think that DH somehow changed his mind when he saw JH and decided her loved her ?  I mean, it sounds like she knew the back story in the book and probably wouldn’t have left to the mortal realm and had the whole misunderstanding.

Also does this mean that it was Day 8 that DH rushed to Qing Qiu?  6-7 days to suck the poison into himself, and 1 day bringing her back to the Demon realm?  He never made it out pass the border to go to Qing Qiu.  Meanwhile FJ being told she’s pregnant, heartbroken, and packs her bag to leave.  Series of unfortunate events.  (Where’s Lian Song again, why is he not the messenger -.- with better magic arts and cultivation that XY he probably could have 'transported' from mortal realm to Qing Qiu much faster and with less risk.)

On 1/4/2021 at 4:51 AM, MayanEcho said:

Now to the last question...sorry that I couldn't reply continuously as I'm using my mobile for typing while doing some other thing :lol:

In the book, DH continuously assumed the identity of Xi Ze as he courted his "wife" FJ Aranya. When they returned from the dream realm, DH was afraid that he and FJ will never have any other chance once she found out that it was him all along and not Xi Ze. Despite Lian Song's advice to have a long talk with her to tell the truth, DH altered FJ's mind to make her forget Xi Ze. 

In the book, he really never met her even as a maid in his palace. He loved her though when she was his pet, and loved her too when they met as equals. Even his shadow loved her shadow.

This is very interesting and done so different in the book!!  So did FJ know she was FJ in the book as she interacted with Xi Ze?  Or was she just FJ playing Aranya (but had no FJ memories)?  Did she like Xi Ze?  I think if DH told her the truth that he was Xi Ze it would have been better, if his main concern was that she had fallen in love with someone else, but heck she wasn’t even aware of her own self in the Dream so just tell her the truth and everything would be back in its place.

It’s very odd to me because the drama approach gave DH and FJ the opportunity to go through more things together and experience casual dates, have heart to heart conversations, nurture their love etc.  I thought that helped him become equals in a loving relationship after leaving the Dream realm.  Without all that, what foundation did they have?  After leaving the Dream they would have reverted to being the flirty couple during training days trying to get the Pimpon fruit.

In the drama did FJ ever get her memories back in the scene where she told him humans in the mortal realm show their love by taking out their chest and giving their heart?  She must have remembered this scene, at least when she received the heart ring…

Bolded paragraph: ah, this rings true and quite lovely.  I guess that's the beauty of a drama sometimes, it leaves room for one's own interpretation and imagination.  I think my perspective is very much DH has unexplainable attraction to FJ (yes she's beautiful and witty and funny) but I can't help but feel that there's a strong force that even DH can't pinpoint himself which makes him drawn to her so much (and as a viewer, I think it's through the pet fox days + mortal realm days).  All in all, what a beautiful love story!

Edit: apologies, I had split up my posts into 2 replying separately but it appears the forum combined it; probably to prevent double posting.  Hope readability is not compromised.  Thanks!!

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, blue_fleurs said:

Thank you for your answers!  I bolded a few above.  Aranya's story was definitely very sad - though I think it would have made a greater impact on me if her cut scenes were included. For example, the back story of how she was rescued by her master (and how this put a twist to her fate with Shen Ye) and her conversation in prison with her mom.  (I believe Dilireba made a comment about how this was one of the more impactful scenes for her filming ELOD so sucks that this was cut!!).  

Same here... I'm still holding on to the hope of a director's cut, or some kind of bonus release which includes the deleted scenes. 

DH visited Miao Luo so many times briefly in many scenes so I totally missed this foreshadowing.  Thanks!  And when she saw him in the demon realm (that's when he rescued her right?) - I think I remember thinking hmm he didn't even acknowledge the fact that he just saved her.  [Was it because she was in fox form in this scene? Didn’t she revert to being in human form though?]  Which makes me think again when he met FJ's parents and said it was love at first sight, he saw her (1) in this demon realm scene, and (2) when she made the fish as a fairy made in the palace.  Didn't seem to be wowed by her beauty or take note of her in either occasion!

It kind of made me think what was different when he saw her in Qing Qiu when he picked up Bai Qian for the wedding - was it because she was being her true self during this time and that's what he noticed?

I think DH was "buttering up" to his in laws here. :lol: 

It wasn't love at first sight; even FJ thought "Dijun's skill in making up things has deepened."

Or, perhaps he wanted to avoid the long story, which could lead to more questions. FJ did suffer a lot for DH, so avoiding, imo,  would be a great course of action for DH in this instance. 

I love how he praises FJ in front of her father. :wub:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, blue_fleurs said:

No, I don't believe he actually saw her when he saved her in the Demon's territory. In the drama, FJ did seem to be in her human form, but in the books, she was in her nine-tailed fox form. In the books, her original form is the reason why DH is later able to recognize her when the space-folding sorcery forces her back into it.

DH did indeed see her as a maid, but he never really noticed anything about her. He just sort of looked through her in the same way as he looked through everyone else, not really noticing or caring about anything about them. Him not noticing her in this instance in the drama is rather important because its another illustration of their lack of fate. That lack of fate means that even though they did technically meet (in the drama, not the book), they never really were able to connect with each other. He never noticed her. He never noticed her purely because before the Aranya + Shen Ye thing, they were never supposed to have a fate together. 

1 hour ago, blue_fleurs said:

Second para (bolded)... Okay this is the part I’m really going to try to flesh out a bit more (at least from drama POV)… specifically, when and how he started to like her.  Keeping in mind, he doesn’t know anything about her being his pet fox and he doesn’t remember anything from his mortal realm experience (he had some feelings which he couldn’t piece together esp since the trial he read about was not the one he actually experienced), so his feelings were not directed at FJ specifically.  So, with this in mind, did he just start liking her when they met at Qing Qiu when he was there to pick up Bai Qian (first time FJ being herself), and then became interested when she was at the Sky Kingdom (various occasions seeing her rejecting other guys) and got to see how funny and clever she is through various interactions (hot springs, flower pot at the ceremony), handkerchief days?  Then after that, meeting at Fanyin Valley and had more funny/flirty interactions through training days. 

Personally, this question is up to individual interpretation. However, I like to believe that he started to take an interest in this lively young queen the first time he saw her at the Wangsheng Sea. 

Sitting twenty feet away, Donghua Dijun placed his teacup aside and slightly looked up. Embarrassment crept onto Siming’s face as he gave an awkward laugh. As he was about to open his mouth to evade the question, crash, a titan wave suddenly burst forth from the nearby water surface. 

When the hundred-foot-high wave dispersed, sparkling under the morning light by the Yue’ya Bay was a beautiful maiden dressed in white. 

The beauty’s alabaster arms contrasted her long, jet-black hair. In her hair was pinned a white flower pin. As though her clothes were made of an impervious material, not even half a droplet of water could be seen on her body. Moreover, she stood in the morning wind with a nonchalant air. Her raven hair was drenched, and a few strands were plastered on her cheeks. She emitted an icy coldness, but there was a certain warmth in the corners of her eyes. With a faint smile, she was looking at Siming Xingjun who had been gossipping with great fervor only moments ago. 

Siming frantically grabbed a teacup, blocking half of his face. Liansong passed the fan in his hand to him. “Your face is too big, the teacup won’t do. Use this.”

Siming miserably knelt down and stretched his mouth into a painful smile. “I didn’t know Your Highness Fengjiu was taking a swim here. It was thoughtless of me just now. Your Highness, please consider our many years of acquaintanceship and leniently forgive me.” 

Moyuan looked to Fengjiu. “What were you doing hiding under the Wangsheng Sea?”

The white-attired Fengjiu stood in a puddle of water and demurely replied, “I was exercising.” 

Moyuan smiled, saying, “Then why did you come up? Did you especially come to scare Siming?” 

Fengjiu paused, then, to Siming, who was wretchedly kneeling on the ground, asked, “Just before, you mentioned something about a Lady Qin of Zhonghu Mountain, does she really like my little uncle?” 

“…” (APB1)

Wouldn't you take an interest too, seeing such a scene unfolding before your own eyes? I certainly would. I think she then became more and more interesting to him over the course of her stay at Jiuchongtian. However, it is hard to pinpoint exactly when he starts to "like" her. In my interpretation, he always finds her interesting, but where exactly does he start to like her? He himself isn't able to come up with an answer. He first realizes that he likes her while watching her compete for the Saha fruit, but it's never explicitly stated in the text when he actually begins to like her romantically. 

Up to this point I’m going to say he likes her but probably more than he even knows why (through what we know as her resemblance to pet fox).  Then when he found out that she is the pet fox and that she went to the mortal realm to help him through his trial, he finally realized why he had taken such an interest and even started to like FJ.  This is all my speculation – does this make sense and sound logical?  It goes back to what I said in my initial post about the mask/star watching scene in the Dream realm being so important that DH knew it was FJ talking about her own experience despite not having her memories as FJ, because this part helped him gain knowledge of her perspective in loving him, and contributed to his feelings to her. 

This part, is actually written in the books. Like I said above, he realized he liked her during the Saha fruit competition, which occurred before he found out that FJ was his pet fox and went to the mortal world for him. 

Third para... Thank you!  The timing still confuses me a bit.  I caught the part that Cheng Yu said one day in fairyland is a year in mortal realm.  So if it was 200 years in immortal land, isn’t that 73,000 years in mortal realm?  FJ and Gun Gun were in their mortal lives for 73,000 years?!?!

Yep, that's exactly it! However, this was actually cleared up in a post by Tangqi translated on the blogsite. Basically, she said that how fast time flows depends on which mortal world you are in. There are some where one day on Jiuchongtian is equivalent to a year in the mortal world, and some where one day in the mortal world is equivalent to a year on Jiuchongtian, and everything else in between. 

• Love 1
  • Insightful 3

16 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

No, I don't believe he actually saw her when he saved her in the Demon's territory. In the drama, FJ did seem to be in her human form, but in the books, she was in her nine-tailed fox form. In the books, her original form is the reason why DH is later able to recognize her when the space-folding sorcery forces her back into it.

Oh, I thought he knew he saved her once because he had read up on her before he came to the valley... :lol:

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1

This makes so much more sense and indeed the drama POV was done poorly, I’m positive it was due to the editing and cut scenes.  Many times DH was gobsmacked by the fact that Xiao Yan or others were all in the Demon realm so who was with FJ?!  I interpreted that more as who is protecting her, but really the surprise should have been stemmed from the fact that no one communicated to her what’s happening on his end.

I think the key scene which I would have liked to have been in the drama was the part about how XY came to see DH and gave the crystal claw to him and FJ was there with him.  So she knew exactly why he went to see her (unlike the drama where she was kept completely in the dark and even her father knew about it and told her as she was in her wedding dress…poor girl :tears:).  So in the book, what made FJ leave?  Did she think that DH somehow changed his mind when he saw JH and decided her loved her ?  I mean, it sounds like she knew the back story in the book and probably wouldn’t have left to the mortal realm and had the whole misunderstanding.

Yes, sadly, the editing of the last few episodes was very badly done and I really wish they had just had a few more episodes to flesh out the ending properly. -sigh-

So in the book, FJ decides to leave when she finds out that DH has altered her memories. To her, altering her memories is completely crossing the line (and I agree, it's unacceptable in any circumstance). Because he changes her memories, after getting her memories back, she realizes that she can't differentiate between what is reality and what isn't anymore in regards to his feelings. She can't trust him because if he could alter her memories, what else couldn't he do, right? In her eyes, he was just playing with her, using her however he pleased. You are correct, she does think that DH has decided to be with Jiheng again, and this part is stated in the book. This is important because DH never actually explained himself to FJ, instead choosing to alter her memories. While he did apologize and explain himself in her altered memories, upon realizing that the memories are false, she, of course, believes that this apology is also false, because these memories are all fake. Even if the apology in her altered memories was sincere, why would she believe it when he planted the memory there?

Does this make sense? If someone else can explain more concisely, that might help!

Also does this mean that it was Day 8 that DH rushed to Qing Qiu?  6-7 days to suck the poison into himself, and 1 day bringing her back to the Demon realm?  He never made it out pass the border to go to Qing Qiu.  Meanwhile FJ being told she’s pregnant, heartbroken, and packs her bag to leave.  Series of unfortunate events.  (Where’s Lian Song again, why is he not the messenger -.- with better magic arts and cultivation that XY he probably could have 'transported' from mortal realm to Qing Qiu much faster and with less risk.)

No. He did finish drawing the poison out of Jiheng by that day, but at that very moment, and this is where fate comes into play, the Miaoyi Huiming Realm collapses again. He only arrives in Qingqiu 73 days later because he is busy stabilizing the realm during these 60-something days. I don't really remember if it is made clear in the drama due to the poor editing and cutting of the last few episodes, but it is very explicit in the books. 

As for Liansong, in the drama, I believe he was helping DH to stabilize the Miaoyi Huiming Realm, so he couldn't really go to Qingqiu to look for FJ. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, blue_fleurs said:

Drama POV, let's revisit Ep30 tea making class and competition. DH describes FJ's tea being bland on the first taste. But then, on the second sip, there is lingering sweetness, making her tea "unique". 

Now let's go further back at Ep25, on their conversation after the Cheyan beast incident at Chengtian stage, when DH was all but pushing FJ to take his gown. This is the 3rd time they would be talking to each other.

When DH asked why she wanted to save the trapped performers and Mi Gu, FJ answered him that as their monarch, she must have the courage  to step forward for her subjects during their times of need. In that way, her people will remain confident and loyal to her as their ruler.

That, was when DH really noticed her, and began thinking more of her. He tells Lian Song that she's a beauty while they play go. His thoughts were lingering on her words while he reads his scrolls.

12 hours ago, blue_fleurs said:

Book POV, it was a day to bring Ji Heng back to demon realm, 6-7 days to absorb the Qiushui toxins, and a day to go back to Bihai Cangling. Day 8 he was on the way to see FJ who was already in Qing Qiu, but that was when he felt Miaoyi Huiming realm on the verge of collapsing. This was Destiny at play, against him.

The reason why XY was his messenger, is because DH and he left Tai Chen Palace together to help save Ji Heng. DH sent the letters from the demon realm through him. Unfortunately, XY met an enemy along the way, and lost the battle at the last minute. 

I hope in the next books that XY's enemy would be identified. He is not by any means weak, given that he could duel with DH, and his master was the Netherworld White Lord Xie Hua Luo. In Lotus Steps, there will be a background on how young XY became her student.

10 hours ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Does this make sense? If someone else can explain more concisely, that might help!

You explained it well. :heart:

For DH, it is to save their relationship, because he fears they will not have a chance to reconcile once she remembers his deceit of impersonating Xi Ze. Granted, at this point, he already learned that they had no chance to even meet, if not for the transferred fate of their shadows to them to become a couple. 

I'd say DH really felt fear for the first time, and what he did was not thoroughly thought of. In the end he still loses his wife for 200 years.

For FJ, she left because it is a violation of her, and gross abuse of her trust. She doesn't know anymore if they had a real relationship, if his feelings to her were sincere, and if anything he ever told her was true. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

This is very interesting and done so different in the book!!  So did FJ know she was FJ in the book as she interacted with Xi Ze?  Or was she just FJ playing Aranya (but had no FJ memories)?  Did she like Xi Ze?  I think if DH told her the truth that he was Xi Ze it would have been better, if his main concern was that she had fallen in love with someone else, but heck she wasn’t even aware of her own self in the Dream so just tell her the truth and everything would be back in its place.

In the book, FJ did not know that Xize was DH in disguise. She was herself, albeit in Aranya's body, playing the role of Aranya. But she did have her memories intact, although, as she describes it in the book, she remembers them as though she had read a book about her life:

This wasn’t simply amnesia. After more than 30,000 years of witnessing the transformations of the world, she had experienced things upon things, events upon events. She remembered everything well, from the time she braved the scorching sun to come out from her mother’s womb, to the time she broke into the python formation on her own with the sole aid of her bravery to steal the Saha fruit. But this sort of memory was like a storybook; she knew the plot, but she only had a vague impression of the story’s characters and sceneries. For example, she could remember her aunt, Bai Qian, but had forgotten how she looked. The past 30,000 years of her life were now feeling as vague a story someone had copied onto the pages of a book. (APB2)

She knows exactly who she is.

So in her mind, she does like Xize. She does not in any way know that Xize is actually DH in disguise. 

I think most people do agree that it would be better (in the book) if FJ knew that Xize was actually DH, so I think that my opinion on this may be rather controversial, but I think that despite how icky this whole situation is from a consent point of view, from the view of emotional growth, it's actually very important that FJ not know that Xize is actually DH. This affords FJ the opportunity to move on and grow as a character; if she had known that Xize was DH the entire time they were in Aranya's Dream, him being there with her would have just fed into her little-girl's crush and made it impossible for her to mature in the emotional sense. 

He doesn't care that she fell in love with Xize because Xize is DH. In his own words, "'Why should I feel jealous? All I did was borrow Xize’s identity; I’m still me. Didn’t she fall in love with me again because she must have me and no one else in this lifetime?'" (APB2)

So essentially, she is in fact aware of who she is, and DH doesn't care who she falls in love with (as long as it's him, LOL). 

I agree, he should have told her the truth, but there was a reason that he didn't. As Zhonglin says:

'Dijun once asked Destiny, and Destiny said Dijun and Your Highness originally had no fate. Dijun knew that if he didn’t alter Your Highness’s memory, he was unlikely to reconcile with Your Highness again. Since Destiny was already written as such, Dijun was just using his own method to protect this fate. Perhaps his method was wrong, but hadn’t he tried his best? But in the end, who can really fight against destiny?' (APB2)

2 hours ago, blue_fleurs said:

It’s very odd to me because the drama approach gave DH and FJ the opportunity to go through more things together and experience casual dates, have heart to heart conversations, nurture their love etc.  I thought that helped him become equals in a loving relationship after leaving the Dream realm.  Without all that, what foundation did they have?  After leaving the Dream they would have reverted to being the flirty couple during training days trying to get the Pimpon fruit.

If you mean this question for the book, their foundation was FJ's altered memory. So in her altered memory in the book, it more or less (a few differences with regard to timeline) plays out the way their time in Aranya's Dream is depicted in the drama. So they wouldn't have gone back to the way they were before entering Aranya's Dream. 

2 hours ago, blue_fleurs said:

In the drama did FJ ever get her memories back in the scene where she told him humans in the mortal realm show their love by taking out their chest and giving their heart?  She must have remembered this scene, at least when she received the heart ring…

Where you wrote in, do you mean "of"? If so, in the drama, she got her memories back after Zheyan found out her memories had been altered and made her a pill to restore them. So by the time she received the ring made of half his heart, she did in fact remember this scene, if it was one of the memories he altered. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, SilverDawn said:

Oh, I thought he knew he saved her once because he had read up on her before he came to the valley... :lol:

Oh, was it? I interpreted it as something that happened that he vaguely remembers, but he doesn't realize that the fox that he saved is FJ until he sees her again in her fox form. -slightly confused-

58 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I'd say DH really felt fear for the first time, and what he did was not thoroughly thought of. In the end he still loses his wife for 200 years.

^100% this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Megan said:

But this was in the drama

Ahh thanks!  I think I was greedily thinking about the actual scene which I believe was cut! (I think it was the Aranya as an adult scene in rags).

2 hours ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Yes, sadly, the editing of the last few episodes was very badly done and I really wish they had just had a few more episodes to flesh out the ending properly. -sigh-

So in the book, FJ decides to leave when she finds out that DH has altered her memories. To her, altering her memories is completely crossing the line (and I agree, it's unacceptable in any circumstance). Because he changes her memories, after getting her memories back, she realizes that she can't differentiate between what is reality and what isn't anymore in regards to his feelings. She can't trust him because if he could alter her memories, what else couldn't he do, right? In her eyes, he was just playing with her, using her however he pleased. You are correct, she does think that DH has decided to be with Jiheng again, and this part is stated in the book. This is important because DH never actually explained himself to FJ, instead choosing to alter her memories. While he did apologize and explain himself in her altered memories, upon realizing that the memories are false, she, of course, believes that this apology is also false, because these memories are all fake. Even if the apology in her altered memories was sincere, why would she believe it when he planted the memory there?

Wow, thanks so much for explaining this.  TBH, I already feel so sad because she left (in the drama) due to a misunderstanding re Ji Heng.  To add on this layer of 'hurt' through feelings of betrayal (as @MayanEcho said, a gross abuse of trust) - that would have been too much (for me lol).  [Strangely, this altering memory decision of DH is giving me the same vibes of Ye Hua who decided it was best to take mortal Bai Qian's eyes because it's best for her/them.  Wasn't this the reason Bai Qian wanted to erase her memory - betrayal of trust - anyway that's another topic]. 

Follow up question: I bolded the part.  Wasn't the altering of memories in respect of the Xi Ze relationship?  What was the apology and explanation about?  And when you say altered memories do you mean the memories of their time in the dream, which were ultimately altered such that she can't remember them? (I think I just need to make sure I understand this correctly!)

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Drama POV, let's revisit Ep30 tea making class and competition. DH describes FJ's tea being bland on the first taste. But then, on the second sip, there is lingering sweetness, making her tea "unique". 

Now let's go further back at Ep25, on their conversation after the Cheyan beast incident at Chengtian stage, when DH was all but pushing FJ to take his gown. This is the 3rd time they would be talking to each other.

When DH asked why she wanted to save the trapped performers and Mi Gu, FJ answered him that as their monarch, she must have the courage  to step forward for her subjects during their times of need. In that way, her people will remain confident and loyal to her as their ruler.

Thanks for reminding me of these scenes especially the part where she said this line.  FJ was so impressive here :wub:.  I agree with @UnluckyWhiteCat this is total up to one's personal interpretation but it's such a bad habit of mine when watching dramas to try to assess how realistic the couple's 'course of falling in love' is.  All the parts you both identified make it clear for me now!

For DH, it is to save their relationship, because he fears they will have a chance to reconcile once she remembers his deceit of impersonating Xi Ze. Granted, at this point, he already learned that they had no chance to even meet, if not for the transferred fate of their shadows to them to become a couple. 

More on this point on reconciling below.

In the book, FJ did not know that Xize was DH in disguise. She was herself, albeit in Aranya's body, playing the role of Aranya. But she did have her memories intact, although, as she describes it in the book, she remembers them as though she had read a book about her life:

So in her mind, she does like Xize. She does not in any way know that Xize is actually DH in disguise. 

He doesn't care that she fell in love with Xize because Xize is DH. In his own words, "'Why should I feel jealous? All I did was borrow Xize’s identity; I’m still me. Didn’t she fall in love with me again because she must have me and no one else in this lifetime?'" (APB2)

So essentially, she is in fact aware of who she is, and DH doesn't care who she falls in love with (as long as it's him, LOL). 

I agree, he should have told her the truth, but there was a reason that he didn't. As Zhonglin says:

'Dijun once asked Destiny, and Destiny said Dijun and Your Highness originally had no fate. Dijun knew that if he didn’t alter Your Highness’s memory, he was unlikely to reconcile with Your Highness again. Since Destiny was already written as such, Dijun was just using his own method to protect this fate. Perhaps his method was wrong, but hadn’t he tried his best? But in the end, who can really fight against destiny?' (APB2)

Okay after this explanation (which makes complete sense) I guess I am still confused about DH's decision.  Why, if he knows that she liked Xi Ze who is actually him, and so he does not fear that she liked Xi Ze, then what's the problem?  Just tell her the truth.  I think the part I don't understand is the reference to reconciling with FJ.  If he didn't alter her memory, he was unlikely to reconcile wit her again - why?

If you mean this question for the book, their foundation was FJ's altered memory. So in her altered memory in the book, it more or less (a few differences with regard to timeline) plays out the way their time in Aranya's Dream is depicted in the drama. So they wouldn't have gone back to the way they were before entering Aranya's Dream. 

Ah, yes, their foundation would have been their time in the Dream.  That's why I liked the drama, upon leaving the dream, they still had that foundation.  In the book, presumably the time in the Dream no longer exists in FJ's mind?

Where you wrote in, do you mean "of"? If so, in the drama, she got her memories back after Zheyan found out her memories had been altered and made her a pill to restore them. So by the time she received the ring made of half his heart, she did in fact remember this scene, if it was one of the memories he altered. 

Yes!  Bad spot to make a typo, changed the meaning of the question!  Do you mean in the book?  In the drama, I'm curious at what point (if at all) she got her memories back of the scene she told about about the heart/chest (scene where he tricked her into thinking they're engaged or married, can't recall exactly).

Side note: So sorry for asking all these questions which obviously would make more sense if I only read the translated book myself - I'm taking the easy route of picking the brains of fellow soompi forum fans!  Really appreciate it.  Also don't know if it's good or bad - now I feel like I'm altering my own memory for the drama's storyline haha.

4 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

I think DH was "buttering up" to his in laws here. :lol: 

It wasn't love at first sight; even FJ thought "Dijun's skill in making up things has deepened."

Guess I fell for it too, like the parents!

• Wiggle 2

50 minutes ago, blue_fleurs said:

Follow up question: I bolded the part.  Wasn't the altering of memories in respect of the Xi Ze relationship?  What was the apology and explanation about?  And when you say altered memories do you mean the memories of their time in the dream, which were ultimately altered such that she can't remember them? (I think I just need to make sure I understand this correctly!)

So in the book, DH changes FJ's memories of everything, so he both alters her memories so that in her altered memories, she knows that Xize is actually DH in disguise, and he adds in additional memories of himself apologizing to FJ and FJ forgiving him. I've pulled out some quotes to hopefully make it more clear: 

This one is from before Zheyan gave her the pill so she could regain her original memories: 

For example, she originally remembered that when she fell into Aranya’s Dream, Dijun had rushed to her rescue. After she regained consciousness, Dijun said many sweet things to coax her. He told her that it was all his fault that he didn’t recognize her when she was that baby fox back then and let her receive all those grievances. She cried asking him why he switched her Saha fruit. He patiently wiped her tears dry and forthrightly admitted that because she said she would use the Saha fruit to make pastries for Xiao Yan, he thus became jealous of Xiao Yan. When she mentioned Jiheng, he frowned in reply: “Why would you think this way? She and I have nothing to do with each other.” She believed his words and even forgave him. (APB2)

This is from after she took that pill: 

She finally remembered. In reality, Dijun had never told her why he switched her Saha fruit in the first place. At the time, Jiheng asked and he just gave. He said he and Jiheng had nothing to do with each other, but she clearly saw his special treatment of her. She finally had enough time to think about these things now. (APB2)

25 minutes ago, blue_fleurs said:

Okay after this explanation (which makes complete sense) I guess I am still confused about DH's decision.  Why, if he knows that she liked Xi Ze who is actually him, and so he does not fear that she liked Xi Ze, then what's the problem?  Just tell her the truth.  I think the part I don't understand is the reference to reconciling with FJ.  If he didn't alter her memory, he was unlikely to reconcile wit her again - why?

The issue that FJ has with DH is that he deceived her over and over again. In the dream, the first thing he does when she wakes up is lie to her so that she won't get upset with him. This plays out more or less the same way in the drama and the book. After this, in the book, when she wakes up in Aranya's shell, and after he realizes that Aranya is actually FJ, he lies to her again, continuing to pretend to be Xize while courting her. She liked Xize, yes, but at this point she had completely given up on DH, and how would you feel if someone you liked lied to you about their very identity? If he didn't alter her memory, FJ would be unlikely to forgive him for what he did while they were in Aranya's Dream. He lied to her and pretended to be Xize and had sex with her. That's such a big no-no. 

To your "just tell her the truth," yes, that would be the common sense thing to do, wouldn't it? Unfortunately for DH, he rationalizes his deception and his subsequent actions because of his knowledge of how fragile their fate together is, and that he's just trying to protect it. His needing to alter her memory stems from his deceiving her in the dream. 

42 minutes ago, blue_fleurs said:

Ah, yes, their foundation would have been their time in the Dream.  That's why I liked the drama, upon leaving the dream, they still had that foundation.  In the book, presumably the time in the Dream no longer exists in FJ's mind?

Soooo, basically DH just slightly alters FJ's memory of Aranya's Dream. He doesn't erase them completely. As I tried to explain above, FJ originally didn't know that Xize was actually DH. After they leave the dream, he alters her memory so that in her altered memory, she knows that Xize is DH. So in her altered memories, she remembers all the events of Aranya's Dream (but knows that DH is Xize) + the added memories of him apologizing and herself forgiving him. 

46 minutes ago, blue_fleurs said:

Yes!  Bad spot to make a typo, changed the meaning of the question!  Do you mean in the book?  In the drama, I'm curious at what point (if at all) she got her memories back of the scene she told about about the heart/chest (scene where he tricked her into thinking they're engaged or married, can't recall exactly).

Yes, I meant in the book! I'm so sorry, horrible place for that boo-boo! -facepalm-

As for the bolded, I actually don't recall exactly what happened. Sorry, perhaps someone else will weigh in!

• Insightful 1

16 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

14 hours ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Oh, was it? I interpreted it as something that happened that he vaguely remembers, but he doesn't realize that the fox that he saved is FJ until he sees her again in her fox form. -slightly confused-

No, DH didn't know she was the young fox he saved at Mt Qinyao. It's his first time to see FJ in her original form with the awareness that it is her, as the angry fox approach him with his handkerchief. :lol:

Note too that DH didn't associate her with the baby fox he lost. Even with similar colouring, the lost baby fox's fairy essence was different to FJ's in her original fox form and real fur.

13 hours ago, blue_fleurs said:

Why, if he knows that she liked Xi Ze who is actually him, and so he does not fear that she liked Xi Ze, then what's the problem?  Just tell her the truth.  I think the part I don't understand is the reference to reconciling with FJ.  If he didn't alter her memory, he was unlikely to reconcile wit her again - why?

FJ and DH didn't exactly part in good terms when he left for Tai Chen Palace with an injured fox, while she was grappling with another "betrayal" of her yet again, since her saha prize was promised to Ji Heng when the demon princess asked him for it. 

FJ was also told by JH that she was just a novelty, and to stay away from DH. Apart from that, she told her that the saha fruit was promised to her the night before competition, so whether FJ won it or not, JH will still be the recipient of the saha fruit.

Jiheng approached closer, her melodic voice sank low, and with great calmness, her eyes softly danced: “Additionally, there is a presumptuous request I'd like to ask of Your Highness: from now on, please stay away from my teacher.”

Fengjiu now comprehended the situation. This was probably the real reason Jiheng came to see her for. The apology was only an excuse to keep her here. Recently, she stopped paying attention to what other people say. She had also just left the arena after undergoing some emotional shocks. Feeling weary, she took a step backward away from her and said, “I'm afraid I don't know why you're hurting me by saying this. If you won't share the Saha fruit, there's not much more we can say.”

Jiheng ceased to smile; her voice was without humor now: “I knew such words would surely displease you, but I say them for Your Highness's own good. My teacher's gaze toward you has changed these days. Your heart must be moved?”

She gave Fengjiu another glance and continued: “I don't know how long Teacher had lived for. In his infinite life, he is often bored in loneliness. He loves seeking new things. You're smart and pretty, so it's only natural you should feel he is attracted to you. But he merely sees you as a new playmate. Going any further will only bring you pain.” Without letting Fengjiu have a chance to react, she lowered her head and added, “You probably think I'm saying this because I myself love him.” She paused. “I'll be honest, I was once betrothed to him. But in my ignorant youth, I missed out on a wonderful match. Throughout three hundred years, Teacher had never once abandoned me. He made me realize who was the true person I should entrust my happiness to. Your arrival made me realize my own feelings. His special attention to you indeed pains me greatly. That was why I asked him for the Saha fruit, to test my importance in his heart. I, too, have been afraid whether we would be able to continue our fate which had been broken in the past, but he didn't think twice before giving it to me.” After a moment of reflection, Jiheng finished: “I want us to be everlasting. Princess, please don't get in between the two of us.”(PB1, p298-299)

Ji Heng was lying of course, since there was nothing special between her and Dong Hua. It's only her staking her pretentious claim, and her chance to hurt and drive away Feng Jiu. Feng Jiu will then attempt to steal her own prize, then falls in Aranya's dream.

After surviving the celestial fire that burnt the dungeons where FJ Aranya was imprisoned, she told Su Moye her pains and heartaches over DH. She was telling him she's always alone when she's in danger and needs DH, but he never appears because they have no fate. 

“And then?” She thought for a moment before slowly replying: “When I came back I saw Lord Xize dressing Junuo's wound for her. To be honest, I didn't think Junuo's injury was that serious, but Lord Xize was bandaging it so carefully, suddenly it left me feeling a little sad.” She lifted her hands to her eyes. “At that time I felt so much like Aranya, but I also felt sorry for her. If she saw such a scene, she'd certainly feel even worse than I do. And it made me sad because I now got to see how a well-protected woman looks. I despise Junuo's pretense of being hurt by such trivial injuries, yet I was very envious of her.”

She raised her hands to cover her eyes. “Dijun... why is it that every time I need him, he's never there for me? There were times when I thought this way. Whenever I was in danger he never appeared. I told myself it was because we aren't fated, but I didn't really believe that. I thought if I worked hard, Heaven would someday be moved. This time, though, I really think if Chen Ye hadn't saved me, I'd have died. I didn't believe we weren't fated before perhaps because I wasn't thoroughly disappointed yet.”

Then, do you hate him?” Su Moye asked after a long silence. 

Fengjiu lowered her palms, gazed to the apricot blossoms under the moonlight, and blinked hard. “Probably not. I just feel weary. Dijun is great, we just aren't meant to be.”

“You're still very young,” Su Moye gently told her, “you'll meet someone better in the future.”(PB2, p102)

Feng Jiu has given up on him.

Dong Hua heard all these just when he was bringing medicine for Junou. He's tending again another woman, albeit it's due to thinking that in her womb, FJ's primordial spirit was resting.

This is the main reason he kept up impersonating as Xi Ze, and making her fall to him again but as Xi Ze. Never minded it though since for him, even if she fell for Xi Ze, that is still him and she can only fall for him. LOL with DH's self confidence.

DH would then realize that it's still lying to FJ, and yet, instead of talking about it with her, he chose to make her forget about Xi Ze and replace her memories of Xi Ze of him as DH in the dream realm. Add to that the knowledge that they were not originally meant to be with nary a fate, and DH was on the road for that disastrous decision in his defiance of Destiny where FJ is concerned.

But like @UnluckyWhiteCat mentioned, their separation has indeed made FJ grow and mature, that she can rely on herself and she can live on her own.

@blue_fleurs About the cut the chest and give the heart as proof of true love, Zhong Lin would be reminding her that when she snuck back in Tai Chen Palace after learning that Ye Qingti was designated as DH's heir. In the drama it would be in the last 10-15min of Ep55.

Zhonglin lowered his voice. “Dijun has bidden me to give this to you after he passes away, but...” He laughed miserably. “Everything I've said and done today has gone against His Majesty's order, but none of that matters anymore. Dijun said the Tiangang Cage he gifted you in the past will turn to ashes when he dies. He fears it won't be able to protect you anymore, so he leaves this crystal ring for you. This ring is made from half of Dijun's heart. Even when he's not here anymore, it will not go away. It will stay to protect you always.”

Half of his heart. Her memory came flooding back like tidal waves. She vaguely remembered it was when they first entered into Aranya's Dream. While her memory was jumbled, he lied to her and said she had forgiven everything he did wrong in the past because he had knelt down to her. What did she say in reply? 

“Dijun, you must've done more than just kneeling down to me right? Even though I don't remember much, you must've done something even more embarrassing, right?”

“Don't try to trick me just because I can't remember. I changed my mind just because you knelt down to me? Don't underestimate me. I don't believe you!”

How did he answer her?

“If I want you to forgive me, what should I do, Xiao Bai?”

What did she say? 

“Carve your heart out. I heard that when one wants to declare his feelings, there is nothing more sincere than to carve his heart out. Mortals die when their hearts are removed, so when death is made into remembrance, such memory cannot fail to be significant nor can it fail to be sincere.” (PB2, p472-473)

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

she snuck back in Tai Chen

Actually why did she sneak back in? Everyone knows Dong Hua wanted to talk to her and she is still technically his wife so why bother sneaking back in. She’s still the lady of the palace, never mind the centuries of absence.

• Wiggle 1

3 hours ago, Megan said:

Actually why did she sneak back in? Everyone knows Dong Hua wanted to talk to her and she is still technically his wife so why bother sneaking back in. She’s still the lady of the palace, never mind the centuries of absence.

She is and she can, but at the dazed state she was in, chose not to.

By the time he felt his sleeve being pulled on, Ye Qingti awoke from his memory. He saw Fengjiu asking Xie Guchou even though she was tugging on his sleeve. Her voice was trembling: “Before… what did Qingti say? I didn’t hear too clearly.”      

Xie Guchou’s expression seemed to contain a bit of pity. “It’s not that you didn’t hear him clearly. You just don’t believe it.” 

Life all of a sudden vacated Fengjiu’s eyes. Her whole body staggered. “I’m going to Taichen Palace to look for him.” A white light flashed by, leaving no traces of her behind. (APB2, p339)

She snuck back in in her haste to see DH after hearing that Ye Qingti is going to be his heir. When a fairy chooses a successor, it means imminent death. In her mind, how can her husband Dong Hua be dying now?

On their cloud ride chasing her to Jiuchongtian, Xie Guchou explained to him: “In the Immortal Sphere, all fairies with the title of High Immortal and higher always choose their own successor. Usually, they will only choose someone who has the deepest divine bond with themselves. Dijun chose you to be Taichen Palace’s successor, naturally because all of your fairy essence originally came from Fengjiu. It’s not you who has the deepest bond with him, but Fengjiu who has the deepest bond with him.”

Amid wind rushing past their ears, Xie Guchou added, “Designating a successor customarily only happens at the very last minute if it could be helped. In other words, for an immortal to designate his successor,” his voice sounded somewhat faraway, “there could only be one reason, that is, the immortal is near the end of his life.” (APB2, p340)

Her sneaking in is more on giving the Tai Chen people the surprise so that they won't hide DH's condition from her.

...Everything in the palace still seemed very orderly. Fengjiu’s heart that had been beating rapidly on her way calmed down a bit. Only her hands couldn’t stop shaking and her head felt a little clouded.

The steward, Zhonglin Xianguan, unhurriedly came in. He swept a glance over Xie and Ye, slightly knitted his brow, and said to Fengjiu with some sarcasm, “How kind of Your Highness to be breaking into Taichen Palace at this hour. Has Your Highness come on Qingti’s behalf because Taichen Palace had detained him a few days ago?” (APB2, p340)

First, DH chose Ye Qingti as the next Dijun of Tai Chen Palace.

Second, he had Ye Qingti detained. And was made to swear not to see FJ while he remains a fairy. Qingti was made to swear never ever to see FJ for as long as he lives.

Glancing to Ye Qingti, he turned back and said, “Dijun did in fact make Qingti swear that he can’t see Your Highness again for as long as he remains a fairy. I’m guessing Your Highness has come to Taichen Palace to see Dijun to get an explanation for this? But in my opinion, Qingti didn’t really place too much gravity on this promise either. Since you two already didn’t stop seeing each other because of this promise, then, Your Highness, please don’t blame Dijun. Actually, back then, when Qingti died as a mortal, Your Highness’ affections were deep, and you called yourself Qingti’s widow, mourning for him for more than 200 years. If the small fairies can see this, then of course Dijun can also see it. The entire Nine Heavens believes Dijun is matchless in his righteousness, but what kind of person Dijun is in the end, Your Highness can’t possibly not know. Why he asked Qingti to make this promise, it could only be because Dijun…” (APB2, p341)

Sigh. Reading the last chapters of the book will always rend the heart. This paragraph is supposedly censuring, yet at the same time it is amusing. The old man is about to die but his jealousy is so matchless and legendary, he must extract that kind of promise. Good thing YQT didn't meekly follow what he was asked and he followed his instincts to ask Xie Guchou and FJ what was going on.

• Insightful 1

pzhzOCl.png

gBmW8qw.png

I tried this game today that my friend reccomended called Akinator. So basically this game attempts to determined what fictional or real life characters the player is thinking by asking a series of question. This game been going on for a pretty long time I think loll and I didn't think we would have Eternal Love and Elod characters on here. So far, I only got Feng Jiu, Dijun, Ye Hua, and Bai Qian lol. Trying to get Lian Song and Cheng Yu. I swear for Dijun it asked if he was 6'5, a god, has white hair and boom we got Dijun. For Feng Jiu it asked if she have long hair, dark hair, and a number in her name and boom we got a Feng Jiu. Not sure how this magical device works

• Awesome 1