[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

sugarplum892

33 minutes ago, kur4p1k4 said:

Since there's so many I'll choose the one that's probably underrated, the scene where WJ was falsely accused by his Wudang uncle. After he immobilised all of them ZM went straight for WJ's jugular and tell him that being falsely accused doesn't feel good right and don't think that just because you keep on the straight and righteous path people won't misjudged you eventually. I think this is a very good scene between ZM and WJ, it really shows that no matter how much she loves him, ZM won't just let WJ off the hook if he's wrong. It also take WJ down a peg, I think sometimes WJ feels like he's has a better moral ground just because he's a "good guy" compare to ZM. That's why I always love when ZM say "Who do you even think you are! Don't think too highly of yourself!" it always shook him lol

The 2nd part I like is after telling WJ that, ZM turn around and still defend WJ, since he is innocent, by telling how stupid the Wudang uncles for even thinking that WJ can kill the 7th uncle, show them where the body is and did not kill them immediately, WJ is stronger than them duh! It showed the most common trope of wuxia for me personally, all wulin people whether you're orthodox or not always attack first talk later:sweatingbullets:be logical people! Like ZM or HR. It also showed that ZM never try to disprove Wudan uncle's accusation about her killing 7th uncle since she doesn't care about their opinion of her, but she knows the false accusation will despair WJ.

3rd part is when SQS was rushing with the horse even under extreme pressure ZM is a quick thinker, I mean it's a bit convenient but I'll just put it under wuxia trope where somehow everybody can meet at the same place no matter how big China is. And of course when ZM was wiping WJ's tears was sweet:wub:

Well said! I agree. It was a really good scene. I also like their after reaction when they found out the truth. The whole tear wiping was so so sweet. Loved it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AppleBanana said:

Me too. In the previous version, it wasn't as nicely done. This one showed how much he cared for her and you can totally see how much he has fallen in love with her. The part where everyone was in the cave talking, he kept staring at her. I also loved her fighting scenes where she got stab. She was super cool. And I like how he stroke her face when she was hurt. AWWWW! Swoony!

Yeah!! 

He said don't worry I will protect you. And he really did!! Throughout the whole drama after snake island. How sweet. It seems like he is always on high alert mode with her around. Even during the wedding clash, you can see from his shocked expression that he cannot keep his eyes off her and can anytime plunge on anyone who want to harm her (especially almost everyone at the wedding are her enemies) 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, kur4p1k4 said:

Since there's so many I'll choose the one that's probably underrated, the scene where WJ was falsely accused by his Wudang uncle. After he immobilised all of them ZM went straight for WJ's jugular and tell him that being falsely accused doesn't feel good right and don't think that just because you keep on the straight and righteous path people won't misjudged you eventually. I think this is a very good scene between ZM and WJ, it really shows that no matter how much she loves him, ZM won't just let WJ off the hook if he's wrong. It also take WJ down a peg, I think sometimes WJ feels like he's has a better moral ground just because he's a "good guy" compare to ZM. That's why I always love when ZM say "Who do you even think you are! Don't think too highly of yourself!" it always shook him lol

The 2nd part I like is after telling WJ that, ZM turn around and still defend WJ, since he is innocent, by telling how stupid the Wudang uncles for even thinking that WJ can kill the 7th uncle, show them where the body is and did not kill them immediately, WJ is stronger than them duh! It showed the most common trope of wuxia for me personally, all wulin people whether you're orthodox or not always attack first talk later:sweatingbullets:be logical people! Like ZM or HR. It also showed that ZM never try to disprove Wudan uncle's accusation about her killing 7th uncle since she doesn't care about their opinion of her, but she knows the false accusation will despair WJ.

3rd part is when SQS was rushing with the horse even under extreme pressure ZM is a quick thinker, I mean it's a bit convenient but I'll just put it under wuxia trope where somehow everybody can meet at the same place no matter how big China is. And of course when ZM was wiping WJ's tears was sweet:wub:

Great choice!  That segment definitely highlighted the theme or should I say misperception of what is good and what is evil so well.  Just because you identify yourself with an orthodox sect, if you can’t logically differentiate what appears to right or wrong, what good is it to call yourself righteous. (WJ included LOL :lol:.) It’s ironic that it’s the very girl that these morons relentlessly calls “evil” who teaches them a lesson about fairness and justice.

Omg yes...ZM comforting WJ was super sweet :wub::wub: 

Btw, SQS's father nailed the following emotional scene so well too :tears:.

(I keep dwelling on the novel and the '86 adaptation, but I love their take of these parts too.)

• Like 3

I actually didn't notice this, but an observant fan pointed it out.  During their conversation on the ox cart, when ZM asks WJ what he's smiling about, she even tugs at his hand at 0:05 (it's like, "What?!  Tell me!")...:lol: She knows he spoils her.

https://f.us.sinaimg.cn/003bCQaXlx07tiRrvBLO010412002bVY0E010.mp4?label=mp4_hd&template=852x480.28.0&Expires=1556003818&ssig=%2BbqgOy1gNP&KID=unistore,video

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, achng said:

I actually didn't notice this, but an observant fan pointed it out.  During their conversation on the ox cart, when ZM asks WJ what he's smiling about, she even tugs at his hand at 0:05 (it's like, "What?!  Tell me!")...:lol: She knows he spoils her.

https://f.us.sinaimg.cn/003bCQaXlx07tiRrvBLO010412002bVY0E010.mp4?label=mp4_hd&template=852x480.28.0&Expires=1556003818&ssig=%2BbqgOy1gNP&KID=unistore,video

OMG, I didn’t even notice that. MinMin melt his heart when she still injured but pretended that she alright. He can tell that she not feeling well and keep insisting to move on to go save his Yifu. I think that touch WJ heart the most. 

26 minutes ago, achng said:

I notice! 

But didn't think much of it till you say

How cute ll

Guys, how do we heal if we keep doing this every day??

I really hope TVB give us extended scenes otherwise we'll be miserable here without any press conference, fan meet, even interviews are separated. Besides yukee and lin yushen, i don't see any other cast actively interviewed about this version.

Yet, we find this version admirable....  We love joseph portrayal but it seems famous critics didn't think so. How sad....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, graceeedwardmom said:

Guys, how do we heal if we keep doing this every day??

I really hope TVB give us extended scenes otherwise we'll be miserable here without any press conference, fan meet, even interviews are separated. Besides yukee and lin yushen, i don't see any other cast actively interviewed about this version.

Yet, we find this version admirable....  We love joseph portrayal but it seems famous critics didn't think so. How sad....

I think the only way I can be healed is:

Wait for tvb ZM appearance hoping for uncut scenes 

Read my fanfic over and over again (for myself only) 

Wait for Joseph and Yukee to work together in new series again 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I’m also try to find out how to heal too. It like poison and we need medicine to cure. It stuck in our head and we all hoping TVB bring us those cut scenes. 

We miss WJ-MinMin and keep watching their scenes over and over again.

coming here is another theraphy for us. 

• Like 3

I personally don't understand why they are targeting joseph's portrayal of WJ

I personally think he is spot on as WJ,  just like Yukee managed to bring a fresh ZM. Both of them really brought the essence of ZM-WJ well. Their abilities to match each other actings and their on screen chemistry are some important  reasons what make this version worked so well for me. Sweet dialogues without chemistry will feel bland (just like most QY melodrama that I used to watch as a young teenager hahaha. Blatantly sweet dialogues but not much that make me got so invested lol :P. No offense please) 

I read the rumour posted on the other forum that Yitian posted the link several pages back.  If it's true (although I would be cautious in believing rumours without solid evidence), it really sad if it's what happen behind the scene. 

I personally appreciate TY approach, instead of creating buzzes by amping up "couple" factors,  it's better for the actors and actresses to get the attentions for their works (although more tidbits and bts between ZM and WJ would definitely make me happy lol) . She seems to be very considerate toward her actresses and actors by limiting her and LJ couple interactions that can distract the attentions. 

Back to the ox cart scene,  some eagle eyed fans in weibo seem to notice that MM was holding on to WJ hand as the cart was moving again at the end of the scene. 

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4364158122635307

I would definitely hope Joseph-Yukee can collaborate again.  Their on-screen chemistry is too good to be wasted B)

• Like 5

I like that before the wedding everyone else kind of know or suspect that WJ likes or has a thing for MM. WJ doesn’t even try to hide it and makes it even more obvious by not defending his fiancee but instead spending time cooking for MM instead. Even the maids gossip about it.  It seems like everyone loves gossiping in this show LOL. 

• LOL 3

26 minutes ago, sophiesyc said:

I like that before the wedding everyone else kind of know or suspect that WJ likes or has a thing for MM. WJ doesn’t even try to hide it and makes it even more obvious by not defending his fiancee but instead spending time cooking for MM instead. Even the maids gossip about it.  It seems like everyone loves gossiping in this show LOL. 

Hahaha 

The gossiping among wulin is also very funny 

Whole wulin know about the affair between Ming Sect leader, and Mongol Princess 

Sound like some mafia chief and Princess love story 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

2nd vote for the Persian fight, ZM was so cool defending ZWJ.

Many scenes of WJ defending ZWJ was awesome too (if I recall right there was a gif collection of those scenes that was squeal worthy!)  ZWJ comes across as really sexy in those!

Plus when when ZWJ had to call ZM good sister,  that was adorable.   ZWJ was so whipped... ;)

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, chipz03 said:

I personally don't understand why they are targeting joseph's portrayal of WJ

I personally think he is spot on as WJ,  just like Yukee managed to bring a fresh ZM. Both of them really brought the essence of ZM-WJ well. Their abilities to match each other actings and their on screen chemistry are some important  reasons what make this version worked so well for me. Sweet dialogues without chemistry will feel bland (just like most QY melodrama that I used to watch as a young teenager hahaha. Blatantly sweet dialogues but not much that make me got so invested lol :P. No offense please) 

I read the rumour posted on the other forum that Yitian posted the link several pages back.  If it's true (although I would be cautious in believing rumours without solid evidence), it really sad if it's what happen behind the scene. 

I personally appreciate TY approach, instead of creating buzzes by amping up "couple" factors,  it's better for the actors and actresses to get the attentions for their works (although more tidbits and bts between ZM and WJ would definitely make me happy lol) . She seems to be very considerate toward her actresses and actors by limiting her and LJ couple interactions that can distract the attentions. 

Back to the ox cart scene,  some eagle fans in weibo seem to notice that MM was holding on to WJ hand as the cart was moving again at the end of the scene. 

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4364158122635307

I would definitely hope Joseph-Yukee can collaborate again.  Their on-screen chemistry is too good to be wasted B)

Personally Joseph portrayal was pretty bad in the beginning, I'm also probably one of those people that have problems with his eyes, me and my brother when watching it we keep making fun of his eyes:sweatingbullets: it's just distracting lol (Please don't kill me!!:tired: I apologise!) Especially after I saw the hot YX, Joseph was a bit disappointing, so blame hot YX for being so awesome:lol:

But as the story goes along he acts better, the posture and the gait he walks it's a bit different, it's kind of like as WJ grows up, Joseph also grows in understanding the character so I like him better more than YX after GMD, hahaha. Even the eyes does not bother me anymore, hahaha, again please don't kill me:sweatingbullets:.

I always appreciate a series more when they could make me like a main character that I originally dislike since it rarely happens for me personally. This is why HSDS 19 is my fave for the moment since my memories of '86 version is fuzzy.

And yes I like Joseph and Yukee onscreen chemistry, I don't know whether it's the script, the direction given or just 2 actor that acts well with each other, but when WJ-ZM is together it's always feel more natural for romantic scene than when the few episodes WJ-ZR try to act the same, WJ-ZR just so awkward together doing romantic stuff imho

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Can’t wait to see the uncut scenes (if any) from TVB episodes. 

I’ve been watching this series since I was a little kid, also read the novel, so far this is my most favorite version. The main characters in this version have best ages appropriate when others are little too old. Also WJ’s love for MM is very clear in this 2019, therefore no need to have the scene when ZZR hides MM and asks WJ who he loves the most among them 4? In this version everyone from the maid to his relatives knows he likes/loves MM deeply. 

The last scene is kind of too short, after not sure how many years he’s been out looking for her, they have 2 short minutes to talk and hug, looks like they cut some scenes between them(???) there’s no explanation that she finally forgives him when the last time they met, she said they are so done and she doesn’t want to see him again. 

Anyways, I love all the comments from everyone here, I can’t read any Chinese but love the fanfic English version

• Like 1

I think It's perfectly normal to feel awkward/less invested at the beginning when watching a new series as earlier episodes probably the period where the actors/actresses, especially young upcoming ones with less experiences are finding their dynamics and footings. Hence there might be hiccups here and there, so it's understandable for me hahaha.  However, the important part is the development of their actings, especially as the filming progressed and this is where I feel Joseph and Yukee did nicely. I feel they grow along with their characters and they owned these characters nicely. (Character portrayal wise,  I feel more attached to them than to Kitty-Tony in the 86 version, even though 86 used to be my favorite (now close 2nd) since it used to be the most memorable one for me :D.

Edited to add:

Aside from acting skills,  It might also help that Joseph, and Yukee too,  is surrounded by more veteran actors (as well as paired with Yukee who shared good chemistry with him) as the series progressed. All side actors/actresses did good jobs here, but to have a more fixed sparring partners who are more experienced than you (e.g Lin Yushen) and/or can bring out your acting chops and chemistry (like Yukee) can definitely help in getting you fall into your characters more seamlessly. :D

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

13 minutes ago, chipz03 said:

I think It's perfectly normal to feel awkward/less invested at the beginning when watching a new series as earlier episodes probably the period where the actors/actresses, especially young upcoming ones with less experiences are finding their dynamics and footings. Hence there might be hiccups here and there, so it's understandable for me hahaha.  However, the important part is the development of their actings, especially as the filming progressed and this is where I feel Joseph and Yukee did nicely. I feel they grow along with their characters and they owned these characters nicely. (Character portrayal wise,  I feel more attached to them than to Kitty-Tony in the 86 version, even though 86 used to be my favorite (now close 2nd) since it used to be the most memorable one for me :D.

Yes, same I also feel more attached to Joseph-Yukee than the 86 ones.

The problem is I think most c-netizen already bailed out during the early WJ episodes and with all the slo-mo complains. So yes I do feel kind of sad not more people actually give this HSDS more chances. Since so many c-drama is airing they probably have more options and HSDS has so many remakes, they probably think it's all the same again.

And also this drama probably has the more restraint skinship, only 1 kiss! (which I approve this is Jin Yong damn it whom always based his novel in some sort real world etiquette) If you see all the other drama especially xianxia feels like everybody is kissing everybody lol so probably not as exciting;)

• Like 2

Personally Joseph acting start to set in and grow on me right from the start of Guang Ming Ding event. I am really impressed with him in GMD. 

Before GMD, I find him very plain in acting, like a little boy. 

I like the both of them growing more and more matured as the drama progress. Really show two little kids becoming adults after series of experiences, it really give me that kind of feeling

• Like 3