Quantcast
jaiwook_08

[Drama 2018] Something In The Rain / Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food, 밥 잘 사주는 예쁜 누나

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

This was translated correctly. JA's mother was referring to the fact that she had not been able to split them up when she was trying. Instead JA had defied her mother to continue seeing JH and had even moved out. So, from the mother's point of view, JA and JH ultimately splitting up was not because of the success of JA's mother making JA see sense, but rather because JA and JH met an obstacle of their own making that they couldn't resolve.

Thank you @stroppyse I needed to have someone help me see another facet of this interpretation from the mom's POV. You've helped me to understand her "It wasn't my fault, don't blame me" claim to fame.

It made sense to me that given JA's mother's personality that she would react like this, and technically, I think she is right in that she did not succeed on splitting them up as she wanted. Ultimately, it was JA and JH's lack of trust in the relationship as well as what they wanted for themselves and each other that led to a failure, even if it was fomented by JA's mother's extremely nasty opposition.

Again thank you for the explanation. This is very true.

At 38, JA has snagged someone else who is acceptable to her parents, and then she breaks up with him, and in effect tells her parents that she's not only not interested in getting married, but she's going to go live on remote Jeju Island where she will probably not run into any eligible men. So, now JA is almost 40 and looking to stay single. If a woman in her 30's finds it difficult to get married, then a woman in her 40's is really considered not suitable, especially because she is becoming too old to safely have children. Also, JA is moving herself far away from her mother's clutches, so that the mother can't harangue her into conforming. So, JA's mother is finally accepting that her plans to have her daughter married suitably are coming to nought.

Good point and I totally agree. Wish she thought to go that far earlier though...lol

Wouldn't JH had pled with JA a few times to reconsider or to come up with a Plan B to stay together? As much as he loved her, would he really walk away from her because she would drop everything to follow him even knowing that she loves him back?

Here is my take on this if I may...I mentioned this in my last post that I had been waiting for this part of JH's personality to rear its head. JA's brother, SH mentions to their dad that JH's pride is no joke and he has his limit. However his love for JA was so strong that he contained himself this long (longer than expected) against all the humiliation and opposition. Earlier, SH also had mentioned to JA not to take him lightly because of this personality. Once he's had it, he is stubborn and will not change. JH made a deal with his company. If truth be told, JA forced his limit by getting an apartment and not choosing to leave with him. I'm not saying her choice to stay was wrong, but in his mind, he was doing all this for her. It was his choice not to want to know what was happening to JA those 3 years. That's how stubborn his character is. I guessed the turning your back on loved ones and taking off is a bit of a cue he inherited from his father?  During the 3 years of being in denial he proceeded to date others but it didn't work. It wasn't until he saw JA in person that he realized regardless to his anger/stubbornness he still loves her. For JA... she knows he left for the US understanding his disappointment. Her mentality is she should be punished harshly for all the pain she's caused JH and KS. So much so she hasn't even been able to muster up enough shame to apologize for all the pain and wounds she and her parents put them through. So, the last thing she is going to do is cling onto JH. Like you mentioned @stroppyse they had trust issues. Interesting lessons we can all take from this story line. Especially those in relationships. Ultimately, let's hope the "Love Conquers All" is something we are all blessed with having in our lives. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

So I finally looked up the writer's name on the internet. There's barely anything about her except for one interview from 2016 so I can't confirm whether she is the writer of Pretty Noona or not. If she is a novelist like what the article said, I totally get why Pretty Noona is the way it is particularly towards the end. Screenwriting is a field that not every novel writer can get right especially on the first try. Don't get me wrong I love Pretty Noona, but it has its flaws. Hope the writer doesn't get too discouraged and continues to improve her craft!

After reading the Soompi article, I've come to appreciate how SYJ & JHI took care of the drama.

“[Son Ye Jin] cried a lot up until the very moment that she left [the wrap party]. She was really sobbing. I think she must have personally felt as though she had accomplished something. She is a truly admirable person. She took responsibility without avoiding [her duties], and she endured it all.”

The director continued, “You couldn’t ask for more from him in terms of character and attitude. He has the exact same beautiful qualities that Joon Hee has in the drama. He really was Joon Hee himself. He’s warm, attentive, courageous, and very thoughtful.”

They're such precious human beings :bawling:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 999hearts said:

So I finally looked up the writer's name on the internet. There's barely anything about her except for one interview from 2016 so I can't confirm whether she is the writer of Pretty Noona or not. If she is a novelist like what the article said, I totally get why Pretty Noona is the way it is particularly towards the end. Screenwriting is a field that not every novel writer can get right especially on the first try. Don't get me wrong I love Pretty Noona, but it has its flaws. Hope the writer doesn't get too discouraged and continues to improve her craft!

After reading the Soompi article, I've come to appreciate how SYJ & JHI took care of the drama.

They're such precious human beings :bawling:

Awww you could tell she enjoyed working on this drama just by looking at the Bts.omo!

• Like 3

I’ve finally watched the last episode. Seriously what were they thinking making it. I really couldn’t understand JH and JA’s decisions.

My favourite episodes are 2-4, least favourite is the episode where the mum was being unreasonable and went to JH’s house.

• Like 6

It turned out "Something in the Rain" is loved by many SK celebrities and gained a lot of fans. Even the side characters received love from many.

Actress Nam Gyu Ri who played in "Yeah, that's how it is" drama with Jung Hae In, is a fan of Son Ye Jin in "something in the rain". She said the SYJ dancing scene at the end of ep 1 is difficult but turned out very endearing.

20180525201006344.jpg

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

9 hours ago, sunshinefate said:

https://www.soompi.com/2018/05/25/may-male-advertisement-model-brand-reputation-rankings-announced/

Jung Hae In is number 1! And the score is 81.87 positive. Great

Awesome!  He acted so well throughout - he deserves all the awards and accolades he gets!!

Happy with the no. 1,2 & 4 spots too:) 

Only reason I’m not mentioning 3 is coz the name doesn’t sound familiar to me!

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

On 25/05/2018 at 4:45 PM, sunshinefate said:

https://www.soompi.com/2018/05/24/uee-shares-thoughts-success-friend-jung-hae/

Our drama perharps is really popular in South Korea. How about in other countries?

So cute of Uuee to mention JHI when her drama has been airing at the same time.  And to say she is going to watch STIR over her break. I have liked her since Marriage Contract. 

I was not aware she has acted with JAI. Now I have to google Night Light :)

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

On 26/05/2018 at 5:31 AM, thi2018 said:

It turned out "Something in the Rain" is loved by many SK celebrities and gained a lot of fans. Even the side characters received love from many.

Actress Nam Gyu Ri who played in "Yeah, that's how it is" drama with Jung Hae In, is a fan of Son Ye Jin in "something in the rain". She said the SYJ dancing scene at the end of ep 1 is difficult but turned out very endearing.

Just rematching SITR first episode, also luv her dancing scene :blush:

• Like 4

This was a show that I had watched and dropped after 5 episodes. After ending its run locally and on Netflix, I thought... well... I have a Netflix subscription... I might as well see how it ends. I was also quite aware of the online clamour regarding the ending and its prelude so that piqued my curiosity.

I can't say I was all that surprised by Episode 15. It seemed to me a long time in coming. What surprised me wasn't that the couple broke off their rocky relationship but that they managed to hold it together as long as they did considering the shaky foundations from which they began. Jin-A, who was the main reason why I dropped the show, was more or less in the same place mentally that she was in Episode 5. Certainly she'd gotten bolder on the work front but in the area that probably mattered most to her, she was still riddled with indecision. In that regard I think the show was extraordinarily consistent and realistic in how the romance resulted. In fact, I would go so far as to say that if it had ended in Episode 15, it would have worked just as well. Or something akin to a La La Land type ending. The ending of 15 was exactly right. It wasn't just a lack of communication which tore the couple apart... ultimately it was a lack of honesty. Not of the cheating kind but the weight of unspoken frustrations finally causing the relationship to collapse. Even though Jin-A made the decision to move out of home, she was still trapped in the same mental state of wanting to keep everyone happy. In reality of course nobody was happy, herself included. Moving out of home wasn't about freedom for her but a kind of "no-man's land" in a war zone that she was ill-equipped to fight. It was a place she'd hope to navigate the rough seas of placating her family on some level while still trying to maintain her relationship with Jun Hui. 

The beginning of their relationship resembled, it seemed to me, an intense secret love affair -- a socially forbidden relationship that took place in secrecy in its early stages. Fearing family disapproval, they lied about the true nature of their relationship to their nearest and dearest. Because they had put the cart before the horse, the foundation for their relationship was essentially quite weak because they leapt into not prepared to deal with the whirlwind that would follow. Passions came first and they went along with that but in the end for a fundamentally socially conservative girl like Jin-A, she was ill-equipped to deal the pressures that came her way and the ramifications that the relationship would have on her family. I saw the writing on the wall even before Episode 5. There was plenty of heat in that relationship but the lack of honesty it seemed to me demonstrated a clear reluctance to take a strong stand on the underlying issues. I always felt that JA enjoyed the pleasures of the relationship without wanting to deal the negatives. Would JA and JH have the wherewithal to conduct their relationship openly? Did JA especially have the will to make that decisive break necessarily for the relationship to move to the next stage and even flourish? In the end, they were 2 people mugged by reality. JA is a family oriented, daddy's girl at heart. Her affair with JH was something out of her comfort zone. True to form, her first instinct is to compromise. The terms of engagement were framed as a zero-sum game and in the end she chose the familiar and the family over starting afresh with JH overseas because the foundations there ran much, much deeper. I believe they both understood (in varying degrees) after all the pressures placed on them, what it would take to keep their relationship together but JA just can't cross their bridge.

I was mostly in agreement with JH unilaterally making the decision to take off overseas to start again if for no other reason than to prove to himself where JA's priorities really lie. It was a test of the strength of their commitment to the relationship and I think it had to come to that because they were going nowhere with JA trying to maintain the status quo while he was frustrated. The conversation they had in her flat when he gets back from China is quite telling. "Isn't that like running away?" is what she says. His answer is "I would like to think of it more as breaking free."

Another striking thing is how JA half-jokingly tells people she's just soldiering on and it demonstrates strength of character to double-down and persevere. In most instances I wouldn't disagree but with JA, it's a cover for not dealing with her inner angst or the rumblings of her heart. It's part of her mechanism to side step the issues. She can't be honest with others because she can't be honest with herself for fear of what others think about her. JA is a nice girl but her niceness means that she doesn't have to make a stand or reverts to her default position of sweeping things under the carpet

JH is a lot clearer and bolder. He wants honesty. He was right in that they had unfinished business. I thought it was fascinating how his comment to her that she's mean triggered a strong reaction in her. All the misery she'd been bottling up exploded in an instant. Though she tried to palm some of the blame onto JH, she had made her choice and she had lived with its consequences. He did respect her choice to stay after all. In the end, she made the choice to move out station because she realises that she can't be tethered to the familiar as her own growth and happiness is on the line.

I'm glad she comes to that place first before getting back with JH because it would mean repeating the mistakes of the past.  She can't just be her parents' daughter or the woman JH loves. Her conversation with BR at the Jeju restaurant was the most honest I'd heard from her. She came to the conclusion after some of us had already come to probably 10 episodes earlier.

It's an interesting journey that the writer takes JA on. Although she was a character I had trouble relating to, I could see the consistency in her choices and in how she dealt with unpleasant situations. It became clear to me at the end why the actress took on this role. It was a challenging one indeed. She did a good job with the role and portrayed her misery and servility effectively while trying to maintain a stiff upper lip.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

So many post-drama interviews are out I don't know where to start reading :astonished: Hopefully Soompi publishes a lot of the interview highlights.

One interview that might not be suited here (Source)

Jung Hae In Responds To Dating Rumors With Son Ye Jin

In a recent interview, Jung Hae In addressed the rumors of a romantic relationship between him and co-star Son Ye Jin.

The two stars of JTBC’s “Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food” drew attention for their engaging on-screen chemistry throughout the drama. The romantic tension between the actors was so realistic that Son Ye Jin reported in her own interview, “People don’t ask me, ‘Are you dating?’ They ask, ‘You’re dating, right?’ or they say, ‘I heard you’re dating,’ without beating around the bush.”

When asked about the possibility of a real-life relationship between the two co-stars, Son Ye Jin evasively replied, “I’d like Jung Hae In to answer that question [instead].”

Jung Hae In similarly reported that he was besieged with questions about the nature of their relationship. He commented, “People around me keep saying, ‘Why don’t you two date?’ and ‘If you two date, I’ll support you.’ [Ye Jin] noona and I have even talked about it.”

“However,” he said, “what we filmed was a drama and not a documentary. It was all fiction and lies. In spite of that, I tried to act with sincerity in every moment, and [the reactions we received] made me think that my sincerity had been successfully conveyed to some degree.”

“Then again,” he added vaguely, “you never know what might happen.”

Jung Hae In also mentioned that he and Son Ye Jin had grown close over the course of filming. “We now contact each other freely,” he shared. “[Son Ye Jin] is no longer an intimidating senior actor around whom I feel awkward, but a close noona who is easy to talk to and who listens to my thoughts. I hope that even a year from now, we’ll still be in touch and contact one another freely.”

Me: JUST DATE ALREADY YOU TWO!!!!

Wishing the cast and crew a wonderful reward trip to Japan :heart: What a wonderful time to go on a vacation this time of the year~~ I'm so jealous kekeke

• Like 9
  • LOL 2

14 minutes ago, purebliss12 said:

Im stilll stuck to this drama ao much and the ost is daebak is there a soompi thread for these two??? Been looking at shippers thread cant find one

Me too... I’ve been visiting the shippers thread to check our couple. Nothing has been created yet.

But dating news are all over... 

• Like 1

I watched until episode 6... then couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen because ... 10 more episodes? I suspected a lot of angst from that point on - and I was right when I checked out the recaps on DB. Based on what I read, I'm going to skip the rest and just watch the last 5 minutes of Episode 16.

Whoever did the music for the show wielded "Stand By Your Man" like one swinging a heavy hammer pounding it into your head at every moment. Before that, it was "Save the Last Dance". After watching shows like Oh Hae Young, Just Between Lovers, My Ajusshi and the way they used sound and music, this was painful. 

The brightest spots of this show was the chemistry between the two - gosh it was lovely to watch. No surprise at all that there are dating rumors. I hope they leave the couple alone long enough for whatever might happen to happen! 

Now I'm going to back track through this thread to find the BTS...

<3 to all the familiar faces!

• Like 3