[Drama 2018] Something In The Rain / Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food, 밥 잘 사주는 예쁜 누나

jaiwook_08

On 26/05/2018 at 5:31 AM, thi2018 said:

It turned out "Something in the Rain" is loved by many SK celebrities and gained a lot of fans. Even the side characters received love from many.

Actress Nam Gyu Ri who played in "Yeah, that's how it is" drama with Jung Hae In, is a fan of Son Ye Jin in "something in the rain". She said the SYJ dancing scene at the end of ep 1 is difficult but turned out very endearing.

Just rematching SITR first episode, also luv her dancing scene :blush:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was a show that I had watched and dropped after 5 episodes. After ending its run locally and on Netflix, I thought... well... I have a Netflix subscription... I might as well see how it ends. I was also quite aware of the online clamour regarding the ending and its prelude so that piqued my curiosity.

I can't say I was all that surprised by Episode 15. It seemed to me a long time in coming. What surprised me wasn't that the couple broke off their rocky relationship but that they managed to hold it together as long as they did considering the shaky foundations from which they began. Jin-A, who was the main reason why I dropped the show, was more or less in the same place mentally that she was in Episode 5. Certainly she'd gotten bolder on the work front but in the area that probably mattered most to her, she was still riddled with indecision. In that regard I think the show was extraordinarily consistent and realistic in how the romance resulted. In fact, I would go so far as to say that if it had ended in Episode 15, it would have worked just as well. Or something akin to a La La Land type ending. The ending of 15 was exactly right. It wasn't just a lack of communication which tore the couple apart... ultimately it was a lack of honesty. Not of the cheating kind but the weight of unspoken frustrations finally causing the relationship to collapse. Even though Jin-A made the decision to move out of home, she was still trapped in the same mental state of wanting to keep everyone happy. In reality of course nobody was happy, herself included. Moving out of home wasn't about freedom for her but a kind of "no-man's land" in a war zone that she was ill-equipped to fight. It was a place she'd hope to navigate the rough seas of placating her family on some level while still trying to maintain her relationship with Jun Hui. 

The beginning of their relationship resembled, it seemed to me, an intense secret love affair -- a socially forbidden relationship that took place in secrecy in its early stages. Fearing family disapproval, they lied about the true nature of their relationship to their nearest and dearest. Because they had put the cart before the horse, the foundation for their relationship was essentially quite weak because they leapt into not prepared to deal with the whirlwind that would follow. Passions came first and they went along with that but in the end for a fundamentally socially conservative girl like Jin-A, she was ill-equipped to deal the pressures that came her way and the ramifications that the relationship would have on her family. I saw the writing on the wall even before Episode 5. There was plenty of heat in that relationship but the lack of honesty it seemed to me demonstrated a clear reluctance to take a strong stand on the underlying issues. I always felt that JA enjoyed the pleasures of the relationship without wanting to deal the negatives. Would JA and JH have the wherewithal to conduct their relationship openly? Did JA especially have the will to make that decisive break necessarily for the relationship to move to the next stage and even flourish? In the end, they were 2 people mugged by reality. JA is a family oriented, daddy's girl at heart. Her affair with JH was something out of her comfort zone. True to form, her first instinct is to compromise. The terms of engagement were framed as a zero-sum game and in the end she chose the familiar and the family over starting afresh with JH overseas because the foundations there ran much, much deeper. I believe they both understood (in varying degrees) after all the pressures placed on them, what it would take to keep their relationship together but JA just can't cross their bridge.

I was mostly in agreement with JH unilaterally making the decision to take off overseas to start again if for no other reason than to prove to himself where JA's priorities really lie. It was a test of the strength of their commitment to the relationship and I think it had to come to that because they were going nowhere with JA trying to maintain the status quo while he was frustrated. The conversation they had in her flat when he gets back from China is quite telling. "Isn't that like running away?" is what she says. His answer is "I would like to think of it more as breaking free."

Another striking thing is how JA half-jokingly tells people she's just soldiering on and it demonstrates strength of character to double-down and persevere. In most instances I wouldn't disagree but with JA, it's a cover for not dealing with her inner angst or the rumblings of her heart. It's part of her mechanism to side step the issues. She can't be honest with others because she can't be honest with herself for fear of what others think about her. JA is a nice girl but her niceness means that she doesn't have to make a stand or reverts to her default position of sweeping things under the carpet

JH is a lot clearer and bolder. He wants honesty. He was right in that they had unfinished business. I thought it was fascinating how his comment to her that she's mean triggered a strong reaction in her. All the misery she'd been bottling up exploded in an instant. Though she tried to palm some of the blame onto JH, she had made her choice and she had lived with its consequences. He did respect her choice to stay after all. In the end, she made the choice to move out station because she realises that she can't be tethered to the familiar as her own growth and happiness is on the line.

I'm glad she comes to that place first before getting back with JH because it would mean repeating the mistakes of the past.  She can't just be her parents' daughter or the woman JH loves. Her conversation with BR at the Jeju restaurant was the most honest I'd heard from her. She came to the conclusion after some of us had already come to probably 10 episodes earlier.

It's an interesting journey that the writer takes JA on. Although she was a character I had trouble relating to, I could see the consistency in her choices and in how she dealt with unpleasant situations. It became clear to me at the end why the actress took on this role. It was a challenging one indeed. She did a good job with the role and portrayed her misery and servility effectively while trying to maintain a stiff upper lip.

Guest 999hearts

So many post-drama interviews are out I don't know where to start reading :astonished: Hopefully Soompi publishes a lot of the interview highlights.

One interview that might not be suited here (Source)

Jung Hae In Responds To Dating Rumors With Son Ye Jin

In a recent interview, Jung Hae In addressed the rumors of a romantic relationship between him and co-star Son Ye Jin.

The two stars of JTBC’s “Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food” drew attention for their engaging on-screen chemistry throughout the drama. The romantic tension between the actors was so realistic that Son Ye Jin reported in her own interview, “People don’t ask me, ‘Are you dating?’ They ask, ‘You’re dating, right?’ or they say, ‘I heard you’re dating,’ without beating around the bush.”

When asked about the possibility of a real-life relationship between the two co-stars, Son Ye Jin evasively replied, “I’d like Jung Hae In to answer that question [instead].”

Jung Hae In similarly reported that he was besieged with questions about the nature of their relationship. He commented, “People around me keep saying, ‘Why don’t you two date?’ and ‘If you two date, I’ll support you.’ [Ye Jin] noona and I have even talked about it.”

“However,” he said, “what we filmed was a drama and not a documentary. It was all fiction and lies. In spite of that, I tried to act with sincerity in every moment, and [the reactions we received] made me think that my sincerity had been successfully conveyed to some degree.”

“Then again,” he added vaguely, “you never know what might happen.”

Jung Hae In also mentioned that he and Son Ye Jin had grown close over the course of filming. “We now contact each other freely,” he shared. “[Son Ye Jin] is no longer an intimidating senior actor around whom I feel awkward, but a close noona who is easy to talk to and who listens to my thoughts. I hope that even a year from now, we’ll still be in touch and contact one another freely.”

Me: JUST DATE ALREADY YOU TWO!!!!

Wishing the cast and crew a wonderful reward trip to Japan :heart: What a wonderful time to go on a vacation this time of the year~~ I'm so jealous kekeke

14 minutes ago, purebliss12 said:

Im stilll stuck to this drama ao much and the ost is daebak is there a soompi thread for these two??? Been looking at shippers thread cant find one

Me too... I’ve been visiting the shippers thread to check our couple. Nothing has been created yet.

But dating news are all over... 

I watched until episode 6... then couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen because ... 10 more episodes? I suspected a lot of angst from that point on - and I was right when I checked out the recaps on DB. Based on what I read, I'm going to skip the rest and just watch the last 5 minutes of Episode 16.

Whoever did the music for the show wielded "Stand By Your Man" like one swinging a heavy hammer pounding it into your head at every moment. Before that, it was "Save the Last Dance". After watching shows like Oh Hae Young, Just Between Lovers, My Ajusshi and the way they used sound and music, this was painful. 

The brightest spots of this show was the chemistry between the two - gosh it was lovely to watch. No surprise at all that there are dating rumors. I hope they leave the couple alone long enough for whatever might happen to happen! 

Now I'm going to back track through this thread to find the BTS...

<3 to all the familiar faces!

And noona talks about his man...:heart:

Son Ye Jin Talks About Dating Rumors With Jung Hae In And Praises His Acting Skills

Son-Ye-Jin-Jung-Hae-In5.jpg

Son Ye Jin spoke about her co-star Jung Hae In and their dating rumors in a recent interview.

The two actors recently starred in the popular JTBC drama “Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food,” where many viewers tuned in to watch the love story of the older woman-younger man couple. Son Ye Jin said, “While doing this drama, I heard a lot of people ask if I’m really dating Jung Hae In.”

She continued, “I did many melodramas since my debut, but many people around me asked if we were really dating particularly during this drama. I wondered why, so I closely watched the videos and photos that we shot. Each person gives off their own image and disposition, but Jung Hae In is similar to me. When we’re in a scene together, there’s this feeling of harmony that comes off strong, so I think that’s why people thought that.”

Speaking about their chemistry, Son Ye Jin said, “Seeing Jung Hae In reminded me of the beginning of my debut. It made me think of when I filmed ‘Classic’ and ‘A Moment to Remember.’ I started filming the melodrama genre around then, and watching him get completely absorbed into [his character] Seo Joon reminded me of myself.”

The actress also praised her co-star’s potential. She explained, “I heard he’s in his fifth year of promotions and this is his first lead drama. Watching Jung Hae In, I wondered, ‘Did I act like that when I was in a [similar] time of my acting experience?’ but I was not able to.”

Son Ye Jin continued, “Jung Hae In and Seo Joon Hee were highly in-sync. He is good about being considerate and quickly immerses himself. Jung Hae In probably came prepared to the set, but if I suggested, ‘How about doing it like this?’ then he would act that way right away. I thought many times that he’s quick and flexible. His five senses are well-developed and his emotions are abundant. I look forward to seeing what kind of acting he’ll show next.”

Source: https://www.soompi.com/2018/05/27/son-ye-jin-talks-dating-rumors-jung-hae-praises-acting-skills/

Finally getting around to this drama. So heartwarming it broke my lurking! :o

I looked back through the posts around Episode 3 and may have missed it: does anyone know what song is playing in the bar right before The Handhold?

45 minutes ago, azimuth said:

Finally getting around to this drama. So heartwarming it broke my lurking! :o

I looked back through the posts around Episode 3 and may have missed it: does anyone know what song is playing in the bar right before The Handhold?

save the last dance for me

Another article about Jung Hae-in... :). This heartwarming drama turns me into Son Ye Jin and Jung Haein fan! I found myself keep checking out their news, their fans IG and their IG everyday. :lol:  

Jung Hae-in Is the Nation's Younger Brother at 31

Source: https://www.hancinema.net/jung-hae-in-is-the-nation-s-younger-brother-at-31-118973.html

Actor Jung Hae-in, who played Seo Joon-hee in the JTBC drama "Pretty Sister Who Buys Me Food", has blossomed into an extremely popular actor. In a recent interview, he said, "I've become the nation's younger brother at the age of 31. I'm grateful and it's something I have to work for".

"As I said at the drama press conference, the nickname makes me want to run away. I'm embarrassed and I'm pressured. I'm grateful that people think of me that way, but it's something I'm going to have to work on harder".

Jung Hae-in was modest throughout the whole interview. He was calm even during the 'Jung Hae-inSyndrome'. He said, "Getting a nickname means a title for the drama. I'm younger than Son Ye-jin, that's true, and the phrase 'nation's' means everyone likes me. I don't know what title I'm going to get for the next drama I'm in. I could turn out to be a bad guy in the next one".

Jung Hae-in can't wait for the next one. "I saw an interview with director Ahn Pan-seok and he said that 'I love acting so much and I don't like my image being consumed'. I want to prove it and I plan on it. It's not going to take me long to come up with the next one. I'm already going through some scenarios".

19 hours ago, aromabeauty said:

save the last dance for me

Thank you!

I was actually referring to the song playing in the bar before our leading lady took matters into her own hand, so to speak. I was able to do some digging based on the lyrics, it seems to be Goldenheart by Kathleen Regan Walter, though I am not 100% sure on attribution here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7wGdZJBh5U

Could Son Ye-jin, Jung Hae-in be the next Song-Song couple?

"Where is my umbrella?"

Jung Hae-in chose the sentence as the most memorable line from "Something in the Rain."

The rookie actor who recently starred in the hit JTBC series along with veteran actress Son Ye-jin.

The chemistry between Jung and Son was remarkable, earning them the nickname of "the next Song-Song couple," referring to Song Hye-kyo and Song Joong-ki who, after starring as a couple in the 2016 mega-hit series "Descendants of the Sun," tied the knot.

Having wrapped up the 16-part series successfully in mid-May, Son and Jung held separate press meetings at a cafe in Samcheong-dong, Seoul, last week, to talk about what the work was like for them.

The two actors both praised and thanked the shooting environment, saying that the working conditions were "unbelievable."

"I slept seven hours a day while shooting. We shot nine hours a day on average. This is something amazing. I have never been in such a production before," Jung said. "The director doesn't shoot any unnecessary scenes. He has it all in his head."

Even before the series began airing, much anticipation had built up around the participation of famed director Ahn Pan-seok, known for his exceptional visual style and acute depiction of reality.

Though "Something in the Rain" is a romantic melodrama, the plot incorporated the ongoing #MeToo movement, by depicting Son's character as a person who stands up to an executive's repeated sexual harassment.

"We didn't show everything about #MeToo, nor fully describe the pain that the character had to go through. She is not just a victim, but a whistleblower as well. That is another aspect, much more painful," Son said.

228_1527491922.jpg Son Ye-jinPhoto: MSTeam Entertainment

"Something in the Rain" marked the actress' comeback to the TV screen after a five year break, as she had been focusing on films.

"TV series are very different from films. Unlike films, where we show the finished works to the public, we have to breathe with the viewers during the shooting period, 3 1/2 months for this one, 1 1/1 months for this one," she said.

With the exceptional chemistry between the two actors, speculation that the two may be dating in real-life, like the Song-Song couple, are perhaps inevitable.

"I think Son and I should do a high-five," Jung said when asked how he felt about the rumour. "It means that our acting was well-received by the viewers. If mutual respect takes place first, acting can be good. I respected her, she respected me."

Spoiler

228_1527491965.jpg

Jung Hae-inPhoto: FNC Entertainment

Read more from the source --> 

http://www.asiaone.com/entertainment/could-son-ye-jin-jung-hae-be-next-song-song-coupl

7 hours ago, azimuth said:

Thank you!

I was actually referring to the song playing in the bar before our leading lady took matters into her own hand, so to speak. I was able to do some digging based on the lyrics, it seems to be Goldenheart by Kathleen Regan Walter, though I am not 100% sure on attribution here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7wGdZJBh5U

oops sorry for giving a wrong info.  I love Stand By Your Man and Save The Last Dance For Me so much that I often sang them in Smule app. Actually I still can't get over Something In The Rain.

52 minutes ago, aromabeauty said:

oops sorry for giving a wrong info.  I love Stand By Your Man and Save The Last Dance For Me so much that I often sang them in Smule app. Actually I still can't get over Something In The Rain.

I enjoyed so much about this drama too. (Except for having to wait until a few days ago to actually see it!) Despite the derailing of characters' lives to provide endgame drama, it's definitely going to be one I remember fondly, especially for the many cute/romantic scenes over the first 6-8 episodes!

I liked just about everything on the OST too. I was initially surprised at the stylistic choice of Stand By Your Man and Save the Last Dance For Me, but I enjoyed the change of pace. Loved the Rachael Yamagata songs as well, especially La La La. For some reason the OST songs resonate with me for specific, beautiful moments in Something in the Rain more than in most dramas.

OMG finally over the weekend saw the FINALE. I was waiting to see how it ended (though I read all the spoilers). Gosh they BOTH were gorgeous and the sound track , visuals and feelings of love and pain. If they are truly the next to pair up I would love it for them IRL. They had so much chemistry.

Love reading and lurking in Soompi Forums for all the goodies. Though the drama ended I saw their  articles are still posted---you are angels. Plus they both did the Black and White look as they were going to the airport. I want them to date!!!!

Going through Jung Hae In fever now and gosh his eyes looking at Son Yejin throughout this drama SLAYED me. Definitely a great nuna killer and it was his first lead role. He was on fire.

I did get frustrated with the finale to be honest and I can see why others were. But it was more about her just UP and quitting her job after perservering after being "promoted" out of the HQ which was not a promotion. Them separating was ok for me as it does happen to couples realistically. Their coming back together was interesting as he was packing to go but he reheard her recording of loving him and appreciating his love. (He never deleted that from his phone and it came on just while listening to music?! Ok ....) I love that JIn Ah is closer to her colleague after she lost KS and felt ashamed to go see her after breaking up with JH.

I was not surprised she was dating JA as she was left in Korea and dating someone her mom wanted. Even though she can hold out so long I could see to maintain relations she would do that. But even as she tried to have someone her mom approved I am glad she BROKE up with him. He maybe right on paper but ALL wrong for her. Not being able to have a proper meal without being attached to his cell or even attend her bro's wedding. Wow. I know people are workaholics but she was treasured and cared for and JH gave her his ALL and his attention. Anyone after him would pale in comparison. He had aegyo, showed love and true caring. Might think a bit obsessive but he trusted his gut instinct about her ex that time he assaulted her in the coffee shop after hours (it as right on).

I liked the scene that JH confessed to his colleague that he wished all bad things. But when he saw she was not happy, he was in pain. He was not happy to see her unhappy. When he was drunk and confronted her to say can you really go back to purely nuna dongseng relationship with me after our intense dating relationship---I felt his pain. She felt pain but she was trying to be more mature and try to be less awkward. But glad they both were forced to talk it out--YES communication people. Before they did not and they tried to protect each other and not tell. (When she did not tell him she got the apt and moved--I was frustrated.)

I thought they would not reunite but hearing her confession of love to him recording prompted him to find her again. So convenient, but if he didn't hear it. Then he WOULD not have went to find her? Huh. At least the ending they are back together taking it one day at a time. I was satisfied with that. Better than some open ended dramas ending that KILLED it for me when they had such a promising story line. 

Definitely one of my fave of the year and their skinship, aegyo tons of kissy scenes will be on repeat plus the OST and great visuals of this drama. Wow Wow Wow. As Son Ye Jin said during the V Live session (yes I slogged through the un subbed 50 mins or so) she wants this to be a memorable drama to people as opposed to getting high ratings.  She achieved it with this drama. What a fantastic drama come back after 5 yrs.  So sad it is REALLY over. Now just pressing REPEAT constantly for the OST and my fave kiss scenes. I loved that the ad libs were so natural and worked for the drama.

Thanks for letting me just spout and go on about this drama. Thanks to the many active people. I slowly watched it due to slow subbing but WORTH every minute (even if I didn't always agree with the storyline.) 

@stroppyse Thanks for your thoughts and input and of course amazing translations (as always you are one busy person) plus others who provided them for us who has not great or non existent Korean skills.

Had time to go back liked comments/posts/pics by  @sscllccrazy @cloudyskies @USAFarmgirl @aromabeauty

@Chellsee  @triplem  @lucia704 @jeijei @kdramaaddict23 and many others I cannot remember. or missed.

Guess this interview, he shared some thoughts on the drama char as well as his views towards love in this current period.

https://www.soompi.com/2018/05/29/jung-hae-compares-character-pretty-noona-buys-food/

Jung Hae In Compares Himself To His Character In “Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food”

S. Park May 29, 2018

Jung Hae In talked about how he’s different from his character in JTBC’s “Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food” in an interview with TV Report.

The actor received a lot of love for his portrayal of Seo Joon Hee in the JTBC drama that recently came to an end.

On how he was able to portray his character so well, Jung Hae In said, “Everything was in the script, so I focused and really read the script a lot.” He explained that he didn’t read the script out loud because he didn’t want to put limitations on himself, and he instead read it in different ways and thought about the purpose of each scene. This allowed him to become flexible so he could take any direction on set, which was his goal.

Jung Hae In melted the hearts of many female viewers at the beginning of the drama and many viewers reacted positively to the scene where he told Yoon Jin Ah (played by Son Ye Jin)’s ex-boyfriend Lee Kyu Min (played by Oh Ryong) to let go of her hand.

He said, “What kind of man can remain rational and calm when someone is acting recklessly towards the woman he likes? That was me acting calm after suppressing and suppressing. In the script, it originally said, ‘Aren’t you going to let go of that hand?’ but I really didn’t want to ask Lee Kyu Min. I wanted to command him, so I changed the line on set.”

In the drama, Seo Joon Hee and Yoon Jin Ah got back together after three years. They claimed to have forgotten about one another during their time apart, but old feelings came rushing back as soon as they saw each other again.

When asked if he liked the ending, Jung Hae In answered, “It’s right for each viewer to feel differently about the ending. We all grew up in a different environment and have different values, so what they think is right, and I don’t think there’s an answer. I personally filmed while knowing about the ending of the 16th episode and am content about the fact that they got back together. But I did think that the three-year break was long.”

The actor said that his thoughts on love changed through this drama. Jung Hae In stated, “Both people wanted to protect their love, but their ways of protecting it were so different. People say that when you love each other, you know a lot about that person and can tell just by looking at their eyes, but I learned a lot about love through this drama. I realized that couples should have many sincere conversations.”

During the interview, Jung Hae In emphasized that Seo Joon Hee is a character in a fantasy. He said, “Is it possible for a 31-year-old man to go ‘all in’ on love? He’s not in his early 20s or late teenage years, and I questioned if someone could really make this kind of decision. I can’t go ‘all in’ on love like Seo Joon Hee. I think that requires courage. If I ask myself if I can really throw everything away for love, then I become hesitant. In that aspect, Seo Joon Hee is a really great person.”

His latest instagram pic. The caption translated by google : "It will be a happy day when unexpected good things happen."

This look so cute. I wonder if there are other sets....eg of Joon Hee too.

Archived