[Drama 2018] Something In The Rain / Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food, 밥 잘 사주는 예쁜 누나

jaiwook_08

57 minutes ago, somethingitr said:

Is she the writer?

No. She is SYJ’s best friend, actress Um Ji Won. She came to “prett noona” filming site to support SYJ.

i don’t think the writer will show her face :D

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally got to see ep 16 with Eng subs. OK, I need some help! Did I miss something somewhere? Did the Eng subs translate correctly? Did the mom say it was JA/JH idea to break up, it was their decision and she told her husband not to drag her name into it? Did she later tell JA that it was their idea to break up, because THEY had problems, why blame her?  My mouth dropped! Whoaaaaa, can someone help me out here cause perhaps I read the subs wrong. UGH! I feel like the writer had a mental block in explaining all this revelation. How can JA's mom have a lack of awareness in the severity of her involvement/contribution in opposing their relationship? I mean JA even moved away from home. When they broke up, she should've been happily taking bows. This writer really baffles me. Now that I read the subs for the "I'm sorry" from JA's mom, shouldn't her explanation have been more appropriate for a 8-10 years ago time period? If she was so set on her daughter marrying status, she should have known in SK elite world, JA was a bit old to be marketed for a chaebol's son's wife at 35. JA is now 38, what's the difference between 35 and 38 to finally let go?

The way ep 16 dialogue was unveiling between the characters, I feel like I'm missing an episode. When JH is talking to SC after the wedding...SC says JH went crazy after the breakup...What did he do? I would have like to have seen this. Did it happen while in SK or US? Was he referring to dating while still in love with JA? Or did he do something else? I'm picturing other craziness with JH's temper. Plus how does SC know JH had relationships lasting not more than 3 months? Did JH report to him? In fact their whole conversation was to update the viewers about JH for the past 3 years. The writer was a bit lazy to not have filmed these scenes. We missed out on the journey. A huge opportunity was also missed to showcase great acting from SYJ and JHI had they been given the chance to act out some of their difficulties post breakup...Let's face it, these two are really good actors and they would have been amazing portraying their heartache scenes that were only described in dialogue to us viewers. This drama was meant to showcase a real romance so it would have tugged at our hearts to share the full story. Another thing, I know there was a time jump, but how is it that the conversations at the main office when JA goes to resign all sound like everything just happened a few months ago?  3 years is a long time...The dialogue seemed off for the period of time that passed.

Please don't misunderstand, I LOVE this drama, we just didn't get to go on their full journey. YSJ and JHI have once again, proven themselves as talented actors. Their performance was as authentic as rl. PD Ahn filmed the parts scripted really well. As for the writer...I'd like to be delusional and blame it on something like JTBC's placing too much pressure on her. Due to all the attention and success of the earlier episodes she had to change her approach or keep questioning herself:huh: Regardless, I hope this drama will receive the credit it deserves as one of the most memorable romances.

The latest long interview of PD Ahn Pan Seok.

If google is right lol...  He praised JHI/ SYJ , talked about fans'critisicm and said that he and SYJ got the whole drama scripts since October last year. He gonna produce new drama beginning next year. 

Part1:

http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=241&aid=0002790173

Part 2: 

http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=241&aid=0002790174

Part 3:

http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=241&aid=0002790175

“Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food” PD Talks About Why He Cast Jung Hae In And Son Ye Jin

Ahn-Pan-Seok-Son-Ye-Jin-Jung-Hae-In.jpg

The producing director (PD) of the drama “Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food” has shared his reasons for casting stars Jung Hae In and Son Ye Jin!

In an interview with news outlet Ilgan Sports, PD Ahn Pan Seok talked about working with the two actors on the hit JTBC drama, which came to an end on May 19. He revealed that he had been determined to cast Son Ye Jin as his leading lady from the very start, explaining, “[Son Ye Jin] is a one-of-a-kind actress. She has a positive energy. In order to capture the viewers’ attention, an actor’s presence alone needs to be powerful, and she’s an actress who has that kind of power. She’s been able to bring to life every production in which she’s appeared

https://www.soompi.com/2018/05/23/pretty-noona-buys-food-pd-talks-cast-jung-hae-son-ye-jin/

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

This was translated correctly. JA's mother was referring to the fact that she had not been able to split them up when she was trying. Instead JA had defied her mother to continue seeing JH and had even moved out. So, from the mother's point of view, JA and JH ultimately splitting up was not because of the success of JA's mother making JA see sense, but rather because JA and JH met an obstacle of their own making that they couldn't resolve.

Thank you @stroppyse I needed to have someone help me see another facet of this interpretation from the mom's POV. You've helped me to understand her "It wasn't my fault, don't blame me" claim to fame.

It made sense to me that given JA's mother's personality that she would react like this, and technically, I think she is right in that she did not succeed on splitting them up as she wanted. Ultimately, it was JA and JH's lack of trust in the relationship as well as what they wanted for themselves and each other that led to a failure, even if it was fomented by JA's mother's extremely nasty opposition.

Again thank you for the explanation. This is very true.

At 38, JA has snagged someone else who is acceptable to her parents, and then she breaks up with him, and in effect tells her parents that she's not only not interested in getting married, but she's going to go live on remote Jeju Island where she will probably not run into any eligible men. So, now JA is almost 40 and looking to stay single. If a woman in her 30's finds it difficult to get married, then a woman in her 40's is really considered not suitable, especially because she is becoming too old to safely have children. Also, JA is moving herself far away from her mother's clutches, so that the mother can't harangue her into conforming. So, JA's mother is finally accepting that her plans to have her daughter married suitably are coming to nought.

Good point and I totally agree. Wish she thought to go that far earlier though...lol

Wouldn't JH had pled with JA a few times to reconsider or to come up with a Plan B to stay together? As much as he loved her, would he really walk away from her because she would drop everything to follow him even knowing that she loves him back?

Here is my take on this if I may...I mentioned this in my last post that I had been waiting for this part of JH's personality to rear its head. JA's brother, SH mentions to their dad that JH's pride is no joke and he has his limit. However his love for JA was so strong that he contained himself this long (longer than expected) against all the humiliation and opposition. Earlier, SH also had mentioned to JA not to take him lightly because of this personality. Once he's had it, he is stubborn and will not change. JH made a deal with his company. If truth be told, JA forced his limit by getting an apartment and not choosing to leave with him. I'm not saying her choice to stay was wrong, but in his mind, he was doing all this for her. It was his choice not to want to know what was happening to JA those 3 years. That's how stubborn his character is. I guessed the turning your back on loved ones and taking off is a bit of a cue he inherited from his father?  During the 3 years of being in denial he proceeded to date others but it didn't work. It wasn't until he saw JA in person that he realized regardless to his anger/stubbornness he still loves her. For JA... she knows he left for the US understanding his disappointment. Her mentality is she should be punished harshly for all the pain she's caused JH and KS. So much so she hasn't even been able to muster up enough shame to apologize for all the pain and wounds she and her parents put them through. So, the last thing she is going to do is cling onto JH. Like you mentioned @stroppyse they had trust issues. Interesting lessons we can all take from this story line. Especially those in relationships. Ultimately, let's hope the "Love Conquers All" is something we are all blessed with having in our lives. 

Guest 999hearts

So I finally looked up the writer's name on the internet. There's barely anything about her except for one interview from 2016 so I can't confirm whether she is the writer of Pretty Noona or not. If she is a novelist like what the article said, I totally get why Pretty Noona is the way it is particularly towards the end. Screenwriting is a field that not every novel writer can get right especially on the first try. Don't get me wrong I love Pretty Noona, but it has its flaws. Hope the writer doesn't get too discouraged and continues to improve her craft!

After reading the Soompi article, I've come to appreciate how SYJ & JHI took care of the drama.

“[Son Ye Jin] cried a lot up until the very moment that she left [the wrap party]. She was really sobbing. I think she must have personally felt as though she had accomplished something. She is a truly admirable person. She took responsibility without avoiding [her duties], and she endured it all.”

The director continued, “You couldn’t ask for more from him in terms of character and attitude. He has the exact same beautiful qualities that Joon Hee has in the drama. He really was Joon Hee himself. He’s warm, attentive, courageous, and very thoughtful.”

They're such precious human beings :bawling:

2 hours ago, 999hearts said:

So I finally looked up the writer's name on the internet. There's barely anything about her except for one interview from 2016 so I can't confirm whether she is the writer of Pretty Noona or not. If she is a novelist like what the article said, I totally get why Pretty Noona is the way it is particularly towards the end. Screenwriting is a field that not every novel writer can get right especially on the first try. Don't get me wrong I love Pretty Noona, but it has its flaws. Hope the writer doesn't get too discouraged and continues to improve her craft!

After reading the Soompi article, I've come to appreciate how SYJ & JHI took care of the drama.

They're such precious human beings :bawling:

Awww you could tell she enjoyed working on this drama just by looking at the Bts.omo!

I’ve finally watched the last episode. Seriously what were they thinking making it. I really couldn’t understand JH and JA’s decisions.

My favourite episodes are 2-4, least favourite is the episode where the mum was being unreasonable and went to JH’s house.

It turned out "Something in the Rain" is loved by many SK celebrities and gained a lot of fans. Even the side characters received love from many.

Actress Nam Gyu Ri who played in "Yeah, that's how it is" drama with Jung Hae In, is a fan of Son Ye Jin in "something in the rain". She said the SYJ dancing scene at the end of ep 1 is difficult but turned out very endearing.

20180525201006344.jpg

9 hours ago, sunshinefate said:

https://www.soompi.com/2018/05/25/may-male-advertisement-model-brand-reputation-rankings-announced/

Jung Hae In is number 1! And the score is 81.87 positive. Great

Awesome!  He acted so well throughout - he deserves all the awards and accolades he gets!!

Happy with the no. 1,2 & 4 spots too:) 

Only reason I’m not mentioning 3 is coz the name doesn’t sound familiar to me!

On 25/05/2018 at 4:45 PM, sunshinefate said:

https://www.soompi.com/2018/05/24/uee-shares-thoughts-success-friend-jung-hae/

Our drama perharps is really popular in South Korea. How about in other countries?

So cute of Uuee to mention JHI when her drama has been airing at the same time.  And to say she is going to watch STIR over her break. I have liked her since Marriage Contract. 

I was not aware she has acted with JAI. Now I have to google Night Light :)

Archived