[Drama 2018] A Poem A Day / You Who Forgot Poetry, 시를 잊은 그대에게

0ly40

@40somethingahjumma yes this drama also focuses on other things than the love triangle, however admit it or not, the love triangle is the writer’s major focus here. Or else, this writer wouldn’t choose to drag the lovelines until the final episodes. That’s why some people are disappointed with how she concluded her story because the lovelines felt incomplete. Something was wrong with how she suddenly changed the endgame.

When I said this writer major focus was the lovelines, I didn’t mean that I love it. In fact, I kinda hate it when she kept trolling the audiences with who gonna end up with who.. I prefer she focuses on her characters’ career life more and put the lovelines as the side stories.. not just for boyoung but other characters’ life as well such as namwoo and minho..  how they became successful physiotherapists/interns etc.. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it bears stressing that Bo Young never wavered from Doctor Ye.

I did not like Min Ho and I would have considered this a bad ending if she did indeed fall for him. I am very glad she did not.

Same here. I would also be disappointed if BY ended up with Minho. But not gonna lie they actually made his character bad in EP 14, they could have focused on other things like his family, more about Dr. Ye's life in Ep 14 instead of that no use MT. I disliked that epi.

53 minutes ago, hyall said:

I think it bears stressing that Bo Young never wavered from Doctor Ye.

I did not like Min Ho and I would have considered this a bad ending if she did indeed fall for him. I am very glad she did not.

Believe it or not, I don’t buy Bo-young’s love towards ye either. dr kim was just egging her and she suddenly likes him? Hmmm feels like she’s just crushing on him. Well, maybe, that’s just me.

Since this forum is for everyone and not just yeliners alone.. I hope you guys dont mind me saying things from my minhoyoung’s point of view ✌️ Hehe

21 hours ago, Jisungfan said:

To me, I always think that Dr Ye is the 1st lead as Lee Jun Hyuk (LJH) is a far more experienced actor with more credentials.  I watch this drama because of LJH and I am surprised with the article that writer said inititally 80% of end game is with SMH rather than Dr Ye. Is the writer saying that to console MH and his supporters? I thought the story flows quite smoothly with the development of Yeline. JDY is quite good in his performance as MH. but seriously, BY looks more compatible with Dr Ye rather than MH who has a baby face. The only complain I have is the writer spent too much time on the sub-plots and too little time on Dr Ye's character and background.  Dr Ye does not have much screentime in the first 4 episodes but luckily LJH managed to bring out the best of Dr Ye which made so many people fell for Yeline within the limited time. I have to applaud LJH on his potrayal of Dr Ye. I find that it is not easy to memerise those technical terms when he is giving demonstrations and lectures.  I am really happy with the finale of BY and Dr Ye ended together!  I agree that the writer should not have say he bring down MH's charactor and made him pathetic so that Dr Ye shine more. Dr Ye has enough charisma to shine by himself as an individual, no need to bring another character down to make him stand out.  Even if MH acted and behave in a better way, BY would not have change her mind as she has fallen hard for Dr Ye.  Writer nim shld have made MH grow in that sense and not being childish.  It's funny that some people still thinks that Dr Ye is the 2nd lead who got the girl in the end as if you see the drama poster, Dr Ye's face always come out 1st. :)  

you have to see the truth in front, I suspect you do not like the character of minho, but it's a fact that he's the male lead here. Have you heard that it appears at the top of the poster? and then lee yubi at the bottom of the poster. I myself did not really like his CHARACTER at first, but we look at the story, how the love triangle is and JW's place;
AS I said in another comment the problem is the writing of the drama, I'm not saying that JW is not the other  male lead either but Minho is better exploited in this writing, so yes the actor LJH who plays JW has more drama and seniority than JDY, but that does not need to be taken into account here.
If minho was really the second lead, we would not need to focus so much on him, and the writer should have focused more on the couple, but no. That's why for me there are two males lead.
You have to be objecive, there's too much focus on minho

Personally felt that the writer is still lacking in making a firm decision on which line / ship to be end game (  3 writers for one drama ?) , during the conference LJH was first to go up as male actor with LYB on stage , so i thought he might be the main lead for this drama, however, drama started with MH BY stories and  Dr Ye less screening time , make me confused that who is the lead .But then writer created Yeline ship, and it seems garnered lots of supporters , may be then they decided on Yeline end game. I felt that writers not even have the complete plot when they started to film .. However, let cheer and support the actors n actresses and all the crews that work hard to bring out this meaningful drama ( at least the poem and the warmth hearted story still win my heart).

I prefer a story that both male n female lead like each other from the begining till the end, no switching partner etc.. unless this drama has 50 episodes to go. In such a short time ( only 2 months old stories) , the female lead can fall in love with one then switch to another one .. unless they use a time jump which they didnt't.. One message from this drama is life goes on , and timing is very important. Everyone moves on with their lives after MH & NW left ,  only BY & Dr Ye have a new chapter in their life.

LJH said that there isn't much romantic scene in this drama , which i agreed. BY & Dr Ye lovey dovey scene didn't have much compare to other rom com drama. The drama wanted to put in so much stories but its too little time to talk about . Epi 14 is a waste as they should make the MT scene for whole episode, but from that we also know tht Dr Ye will cherish BY even more after MH confronted him.

Hope that JDY will get a better script next time , he has the potential here. I also hope that LJH will get offer on lead role more than as second lead .. . I am not sure how much similarity of LYB and WBY , LYB make WBY character alive .. i like her very much in this drama. :)

wish everyone here all well , i am still trying to withdraw from this drama.. :)

Seriously this "Who is the lead thing" and "The writers changed the script" thing just ruined the entire mood. Now everyone is talking about it. I wanted to remember this show for its simplicity. Maybe it will take time to forget about this. I wonder why the actor(Second lead in Drinking solo) rejected Minho's role since the writer said Minho was the lead in the beginning.

I will look forward to the cast's other projects.

Honestly by now , I don't really think it matters anymore who the lead is. It is what it is. I'm sorry for Team Min Ho. I know what it's like for not getting the ending or seeing the story as you may have envisioned. JDY is a talented actor, I have seen him in 3 dramas and I look forward to his continued growth in dramaland. Go watch "If We Are A Season" and  "School 2017", if you have yet to check it out. 

In some ways it was irresponsible for the writer to say the things she did. It is actually a dis-service to both actors, that LJY's Dr Ye could not have gotten the girl without bashing the competition and that JDY's Min Ho was not good enough to convince the audience he could be the end game. If JDY is indeed the main lead, then I guess it must be a refreshing concept to see the 2nd lead get the girl, something which I remember some have wanted earlier on in the thread. 

What I do know is that k netz did really like Dr Ye's personality from the start. So I guess she went with that. Sample of knetz comments here:

http://netizendrama.blogspot.my/2018/04/spoilers-poem-day-e04-05-rating.html

http://netizendrama.blogspot.my/2018/05/spoilers-poem-day-e11-12-rating.html

I think TVN's site here will give you some answers if you are still concern about the order of the leads :)

http://program.tving.com/tvn/apoemaday/5/Contents/Html?h_seq=1

In spite of the "controversy" post drama,  (honestly I think it's only international audiences who are hot & bothered) , I will remember this drama fondly. The poems interwoven through this drama for example were beautiful and fitted the stories of the characters. I wish the cast well and look forward to their other projects.

As a person who recently was obsessed over the first half of Pretty noona and the second half of My mister, I was hooked to APAD from ep 1 to ep 16 and lost my sleep to finish it. (Thanks to some Pretty noona fan who mentioned some Dr Ye in that thread, I got interested and had to go around looking for a drama with Dr Ye ha ha ha). It also showed I almost never commented. But I had to for this. 

That I love Dr Ye character. 

That I did not even once and certainly can not consider or imagine Min Ho as the end game with Bo Young, first love, puppy love, yes. 

The little things that Dr Ye does as well as his principles attract and tell me that he is someone BY can rely on. He is not the romantic type but he tries. He's protective and also considerate in how he handles the chief, the hospital issues and especially Min Ho's issue. 

I dont deny Min Ho has his own charms but as a viewer, I'm so happy with this ending and cannot fathom it any other way, unless they have more intimate time together, Dr Ye and BY of course. Ha ha ha 

We're happy that Dr. Ye is the end game because we want the best for BY and we want a Dr. Ye for ourselves. What matters to me is not the main lead but the main squeeze. He's deserving of our uri BY's love, devotion and body gags. 

And like I joked before but luh it did come true, this drama is about MH's evolution from a jerk to a less of a jerk. He deserves to be loved by someone as he's become love itself (remember the poem?). But you know that that someone is not BY. The writer chose to make her heart anchored to Dr. Ye's shores. If it's because of public sentiment, then all the better. We do not owe someone our love just because they've become nice to us. 

I am kind of picky with kdrama , and i am happy to watch this ( even follow live :D)  .  Thanks @triplem for providing so many info for APAD .  I am waiting for LJH's next drama  but i think i will observe first coz i still can't get rid of Dr ye character from him ( hope he is not villain in new drama).

If i am not wrong , JDY also filming Law of Jungle , i am glad they are  having new projects, hope there are more to come :)

Is it safe to come back in here?

Did I start something? Because I sure didn't mean to. :o I feel like I came into the middle of a ship war.

@triplem You and I are definitely drama buddies. Yeah... I ended up really liking this show... it's very low key, very sweet. tvN scores again in the slice of life genre.

I was really surprised how much of a growing up story was incorporated into the overall narrative and I really enjoyed the humour after all the ridiculous stuff in the early episodes got toned down. I think the development of various characters were a mixed bag. Some were just there for decorative purposes and others to provide comic relief. It does make a bit of sense on some level although I wondered why there's so much focus on some of the so-called supporting characters like Therapist Park for instance. His and Nam Woo's temporary nihilism was funny for a bit but it got old after a while. 

This, I think highlights the weakness/difficulties with the approach taken here. In order to align thematically to tie in with the poem of the day, character development was sacrificed on some level or at least relegated to second fiddle in order to fit in with the theme.

The other thing that really struck me was how much "the full-time job" became BY's holy grail, as it were. Obviously that's a major issue for professionals these days... to move from being contract workers to permanency. Most of us just go from contract to contract sadly and then we have to go through the indignity of re-applying for our jobs because no one at the top can be bothered with doing proper performance reviews. I'm glad for her to get permanency which is the happy ending she was really craving for. Falling in love was the icing on the cake.

When I joked a bit about the fact that this show seems to be primarily known for its rival ships rather than all the far more important aspects of the story, I wasn't referring to anyone in particular. I'd seen comments in other places first before I read the ones here. 

Although I did watch this for LJH, I actually did come to really like his character. I thought he was a good match for BY even if he did have his quirks and was legalistic to a fault. But he had strong boundaries and he respected other's, most especially BY's. Despite being the rock star of SK physiotherapy, he remained level headed and kept to his principles. Still I cackled with laughter at how bad he was at keeping his happiness under check and was leaking his newfound emotions everywhere in the workplace. Being in a relationship with BY loosened him up but he was still essentially a bit of a Mr Darcy. I don't why their colleagues didn't cotton on to his feelings for her but at the party celebrating her appointment to full-time position, the way he was looking at her and smiling... surely no one can misunderstand what that means.

I thought the show was pretty consistent with MH's character. In truth, people don't change that much in such a short space of time. While he softened towards BY as he fell for her, his coping mechanism for not getting what he wanted saw him revert to his old ways. I'm not unsympathetic to his family issues: the weight of parental expectations and his being treated like the black sheep. Clearly his bad behaviour is bravado and bluster stemming from a sensitive disposition. But I think it's because of that among other things that I don't root for him to be with BY. (And I don't generally root for Domyoji clones either and MH'ss right off the assembly line) But most importantly BY made her choice and stuck to her guns.

Anyway, this was an entertaining diversion. I had a few laughs and got teary now and again. Glad I caught this gem.

I agree with @40somethingahjumma in this respect. Despite Hana Yori Dango being my all time favourite drama that characters like Doumyouji are not the type of characters I root for and I really dislike those type of characters in general and rewarding them with a person like BY is really a disfavour to the type of person she is.

Dr Ye was a wonderful character yes he was a bit boring but he had such great qualities that Min Ho just paled in comparison in my eyes. Min Ho's behaviour from the very beginning turned me off him completely and in spite of the fact that he had a more fleshed out character story he does not deserve BY and should not get her. There are many more reasons why BY both loved and respected Dr Ye and their relationship in a sea of dramas celebrating bad boy who are borderline abusive and mind you Doumyouji was abusive in my book is a breath of fresh air.

Dr.Ye's expression was so obvious I agree and he was adorably dorky about his attraction and love for BY that it melted my heart.

Thank you drama I really loved this one very much and enjoyed the physiotherapist aspect which is an aspect that was surprisingly interesting. All round good drama and the poems rocked. 

2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

You and I are definitely drama buddies. Yeah... I ended up really liking this show... it's very low key, very sweet. tvN scores again in the slice of life genre.

We are indeed. It's always a pleasure to read you on the threads. I still remember reading you on Missing Nine the very first time. Honestly that was a crazy show, but I am not sure why I carried on & somehow enjoyed it. :lol: i  think by the end of the drama there was only 3 or 4 of us left on the thread. Currently hanging onto  Greasy Melo mainly out my love for jang Hyuk. Thankfully Lawless Lawyer is really enjoyable.  But like you , it is Life on Mars that I have been waiting for.

I think TVN has done some really good ones of late (Prison Playbook, Live and the recently completed My Ahjussi (which I have yet to start on) ) .This one flew under the radar for most, but I think it's just one those lovely conflict free dramas ( more conflict on the forums  :lol:) , soft and sweet like the cotton candy that Ye gave BY.  I do agree that some character development has been sacrificed to fit the poems in. I can't remember if it was here or on Dramabeans where a comment was made about how sometimes it feels like the writer may have found the poems first then fitted the story around it.

@hyall I am glad you found this drama too. I completely agree with your assessment of Ye.

9 hours ago, hyall said:

Dr Ye was a wonderful character yes he was a bit boring but he had such great qualities that Min Ho just paled in comparison in my eyes. Min Ho's behaviour from the very beginning turned me off him completely and in spite of the fact that he had a more fleshed out character story he does not deserve BY and should not get her. There are many more reasons why BY both loved and respected Dr Ye and their relationship in a sea of dramas celebrating bad boy who are borderline abusive and mind you Doumyouji was abusive in my book is a breath of fresh air.

Dr.Ye's expression was so obvious I agree and he was adorably dorky about his attraction and love for BY that it melted my heart.

Thank you drama I really loved this one very much and enjoyed the physiotherapist aspect which is an aspect that was surprisingly interesting. All round good drama and the poems rocked. 

The thing is, I never found YJW boring. He was unexpectedly sweet for a man who on appearance was abrasive and perfectionistic. I was amused by his mannerisms, his personality quirks and charmed by his respect for BY especially when contrasted by how MH was denigrating her person, disrespecting her likes and dislikes. He was quietly admirable and amusing. If MH was "more interesting", it was because he bulldozed his way around BY noisily and trampled on her boundaries before finally falling for her and acknowledging his feelings in a rather backhanded self-centred fashion.

BY may have started her romance with JW by crushing on him but she fell for him even more because he treated her with respect despite all of MH's efforts to diminish her in JW's eyes. Besides that he's a poetry-reading kindred spirit and he saw all of BY's good qualities way before MH was capable of understanding them.

I actually think the show is quite logical in its unfolding of the romance because BY made the right choice for her temperament.

That's why it's quite reprehensible for the writer to come out and say those things. It's as if he/she has no moral fortitude to defend their writing decisions and take responsibility for them. There will always be disappointments where love triangles are concerned and a segment of the population just has to deal with it. I had to for other things... but thankfully not often.

thanks @triplem !  I wonder if there is still sub for rest of his v live .. haha

@40somethingahjumma i like how you explained of the drama , very logical.  Probably the story is too normal and "logical" that  ppl didnt find it is interesting to watch as an entertainment. However, i am glad that writer go for the logical way . I repeat the whole drama again ,  and i found  that the flow was actually fine if watch continuously ( as i was following live weekly ) , just realized that Dr Ye couldn't remember the name of the intern or care about others personal business,  he actually from the start that remembered the compliment card was from BY , he was actually care about BY when BY seems not having eye contact with him or tried to avoid him and also  remembered what BY said about the  Dubai chaebol ,  she likes walking etc .. hhaa that shows that he has already noticed BY and started to like her day by day when he gets to know her more ..

22 hours ago, jellybing2009 said:

thanks @triplem !  I wonder if there is still sub for rest of his v live .. haha

@40somethingahjumma i like how you explained of the drama , very logical.  Probably the story is too normal and "logical" that  ppl didnt find it is interesting to watch as an entertainment. However, i am glad that writer go for the logical way . I repeat the whole drama again ,  and i found  that the flow was actually fine if watch continuously ( as i was following live weekly ) , just realized that Dr Ye couldn't remember the name of the intern or care about others personal business,  he actually from the start that remembered the compliment card was from BY , he was actually care about BY when BY seems not having eye contact with him or tried to avoid him and also  remembered what BY said about the  Dubai chaebol ,  she likes walking etc .. hhaa that shows that he has already noticed BY and started to like her day by day when he gets to know her more ..

Probably. :wink: Although like you, I thought it was a breath of fresh air.

There are definitely advantages to marathoning a show straight through... lack of quality sleep notwithstanding... and you really get a real sense of the continuity. Even in episodes 5, 6 and 7, it's clear that YJW singles BY out for attention in a way he doesn't for anyone else. He even notices that she's struggling and tries in his own way to cheer her up. That surprised me. He was thoughtful enough to think of taking her to the literary museum dedicated to her favourite poet. (I don't think that even my husband would even think of that). Although she was stewing (and so was I) at the way MH was trying to make fun her in front of JW, every single tactic hilariously backfired. JW only saw the good. He was way ahead in the game. :lol:  BY chose well IMO... Smart girl. The only reason why she was comfortable with MH was because she didn't see him as a man. GIven their history, can we blame her? It completely inoculated her from falling for him. :D

Archived