[Drama 2018] A Poem A Day / You Who Forgot Poetry, 시를 잊은 그대에게

0ly40

Hello, everyone. I'm from DCinside A Poem A Day gallery (aka 시그대 갤러리 http://gall.dcinside.com/mgallery/board/lists/?id=toforgetpoetry), and we're preparing a letter to send it to the director. If any of you are interested in purchasing a Director's Cut Blu-ray/ DVD or --at least-- a Making/Behind-the-scenes DVD of "A Poem A Day," please do us a favor.

Just write how much you love this drama and would like to see a Blu-ray/DVD come out. At this point, it seems to be completely in the hands of our main director to decide what kind of DVD will be coming out for "A Poem A Day." He is soon to have a formal discussion with tvN to figure out what to do with DVD/Blu-ray options.

We will gladly collect and print all your writings and send it to the director (You may post your writings here, or you are more than welcome to write on our board http://gall.dcinside.com/mgallery/board/lists/?id=toforgetpoetry). We just hope that he understands that there are so many fans out there waiting to buy a Director's Cut Blu-ray/DVD or at least a Making/Behind-the-scenes DVD for "A Poem A Day."  As you may already know, all the behind-the-scenes making videos do get erased after a show ends. So we need to act fast to save all of them (including unreleased BTS cuts).

Thanks for your time and please feel free to ask questions. 

P.S. Please spread the word in other forums, so we can get everyone to participate. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My final post . Agree very much with this recapper

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/05/you-who-forgot-poetry-episodes-15-16-final/

COMMENTS

With that lovely denouement, I feel like it begs for a moment of quiet to let its poetry—always the stand-in for both emotions, and life itself—sink in. This is what this show has always been about: cherishing the everyday favors, blessings, and people, who go by without remark. It’s true that the show wasn’t always subtle in delivering its messages, but this week certainly, the message itself was worth it, and the focus on the daily heroism of mothers in episode 15 was especially touching.

Looking back on it, what I love about this show is how (despite certain missteps), it respected the characters’ choices and remained true to them. Like how Bo-young chose Jae-wook, who is second lead material by every measure, and didn’t force a tropey outcome on her. That might be an equal argument for why it didn’t work for some, since some of you found Jae-wook’s characterization insufficient, and while I don’t disagree, I just like that the better man had a just ending, and that jerk-beavior wasn’t rewarded.

With its low conflict quotient, it’s not necessarily the stuff of stories. Min-ho’s writing (and hair, why did you change it, show?) could have been better, but I think overall, now that we’ve seen the conclusion, his character made sense and had a fairly consistent throughline. I’m especially glad that he was redeemed in a way that worked for me, and I’ve already imagined him into an alterna-drama without Jae-wook, where he does win Bo-young’s affections.

But in a world where this Jae-wook exists, I have to choose him, even if he is an idealized vision of the perfect boyfriend (I still can’t get over how everything Jae-wook learns about Bo-young only makes him fall for her more). The thing is, I don’t actually find him perfect, and I can see how he might be frustrating or even embarrassing, but his sincerity is everything

poem1500169.jpg

He doesn’t make decisions about her or for her, he doesn’t treat her like an object; he dignifies her personhood by always treating her like a person. He doesn’t cross lines she asks him not to, and after other dramas that shall not be named, seeing a couple respect each other’s boundaries feels pretty special. You don’t want a guy to decide he knows best and take unwanted actions on his partner’s behalf. You want to know that your words matter to the other person. 

It sounds on paper like all these things should be a given, but functional, healthy, respectful relationships are not even common in real life, let alone dramaland. I don’t think either of the narratives of what love is like is universal, with regards to Min-ho’s idea that love is being comfortable versus the idea that love is showing your best self. What a person’s relationship is like is such an individual thing that you can’t create a single prescription for. So even if love is like that for Min-ho and others, it doesn’t make Bo-young and Jae-wook’s less valid.

poem1500100.jpg

To me, their relationship actually felt a little like an old-fashioned marriage, in a good way. Even if the partners tend to behave formally with each other, their mutual understanding is deep. (I have to admit, I was afraid that we were about to leap into noble idiot territory for a while there—that seeing just how impressive Jae-wook was, Bo-young would break up with him so as not to hold him back.)

The way it wrapped up just felt genuine and real, leaving some threads unfinished, others ongoing, some roads diverging while others grew closer. It feels like a snapshot of lives in progress. I’m only a bit disappointed that we didn’t get to see the couple reveal their relationship, but other than that, my heart feels satisfied by everywhere we went with these characters.

Given the real-life context from which this drama was born, I feel like it always set out to speak directly to the viewers: about pain, about loss, about living in all our unremarkable moments with sincerity. In the beginning, I thought the “you” who forgot poetry was directed to Bo-young, but now, I believe it’s meant for us, as a heartfelt entreaty not to take our moments—or our people—for granted, and to cherish life as long as we live it.

Minho was supposed to be the end game accdg to the writer based on his post-drama interview. ( http://mosen.mt.co.kr/article/G1110903035#imadnews ) That's why MH got that much airtime and that's why the ending felt inconclusive and there are a couple of things that were not revealed in the end like why he rejected her in college. And the writer had to make MH pathetic in the end to justify the YeLine. 

Someone posted a translation of the interview on dramabeans and I'm posting the part about Jang Dong Yoon here.

-----------------

"Han said he was “Sorry” to Jang Dong-yoon who played Sin Min-ho who frustrated Bo-young(and us) with one-sided love. “I was sorry because Jung Dong-yoon ssi’s character was cursed. There was some part changed from what we planned. As viewers wanted the loveline with Ye Jae-wook, the story went that way. We didn’t decide that loveline in the beginning. Actually there were 80% possibility Sin Min-ho was the person. But as we took the path of loveline with Ye, Min-ho character became annoying, and because of him, Ye Jae-wook was able to shine more. In a sense, Jang Dong-yoon ssi made sacrifice. Jang Dong-yoon si looks girly outwardly, but actually he has various licenses including emergency medical technician and Scuba diving. Also he does work-out, so he has good build. I only found out while filming, but he is actually very manly. He already finished his army duty. He is strong actor.“ Han said Jang also did action scenes without using double.”

31973737_988925651232599_224386380504393

31973705_176642986332545_283143969648620

@sansukini-_- thanks for your post. 

I knew this they purposely destroy his character . From the starting it was him but whatever happened with Min Ho and Jang Dong-yoon really made my heart more hurt.

His character poster quotes you have to look for a long time to love..........:bawling:

He was the only one in this drama who's emotions and feelings touched my heart and made my heart hurt. The pain reflecting in his eyes really :bawling:unbearable for me.

He was always shown hurting and crying so much . This drama disappoint me alot more than any drama I have ever seen In every way. ( the time when bride of water god drama disappointed me I was hurt so much but atleast secondary characters save that drama and my heart. )

Because writer and PD made this decision no need to ask about low ratings. They choose to destroy the drama himself.

Just because the character was shown bad doesn't mean he doesn't deserved to be loved. 

3 hours ago, sansukini-_- said:

Minho was supposed to be the end game accdg to the writer based on his post-drama interview. ( http://mosen.mt.co.kr/article/G1110903035#imadnews ) That's why MH got that much airtime and that's why the ending felt inconclusive and there are a couple of things that were not revealed in the end like why he rejected her in college. And the writer had to make MH pathetic in the end to justify the YeLine. 

Someone posted a translation of the interview on dramabeans and I'm posting the part about Jang Dong Yoon here.

-----------------

"Han said he was “Sorry” to Jang Dong-yoon who played Sin Min-ho who frustrated Bo-young(and us) with one-sided love. “I was sorry because Jung Dong-yoon ssi’s character was cursed. There was some part changed from what we planned. As viewers wanted the loveline with Ye Jae-wook, the story went that way. We didn’t decide that loveline in the beginning. Actually there were 80% possibility Sin Min-ho was the person. But as we took the path of loveline with Ye, Min-ho character became annoying, and because of him, Ye Jae-wook was able to shine more. In a sense, Jang Dong-yoon ssi made sacrifice. Jang Dong-yoon si looks girly outwardly, but actually he has various licenses including emergency medical technician and Scuba diving. Also he does work-out, so he has good build. I only found out while filming, but he is actually very manly. He already finished his army duty. He is strong actor.“ Han said Jang also did action scenes without using double.”

Hi @sansukini-_- haha I created an account because of you. Yes thank you writer nim for confirming our suspicion that the storyline was changed midway of the drama. Now it makes sense why minho got a lot of screentimes, why we didn’t feel anything for ye, why we thought minho  was the endgame at first, why we frustrated that you threw minho under the bus so yeline could sail, and why we thought by and ye were forced to be a couple. Everything makes sense now. 

I hope next time writernim, you will have some faith in your own writing. No need to change the plot just to suit whatever audiences want. And one more thing is, you don’t have to put down one character just to make another character shines more. This is totally wrong. It’s like you dont treat your own character and the actor justice at all. 

Thanks for the post of the article that Minho was the initial end game plan .  I wonder when they started to change the story plot ?  for the first 4 episodes i have already  rooting for YeLine , understand that the first 7-8 episodes we were still not sure who is the lead or end game actually . Thanks to the writer that change the line half way .. everything it seems make more sense to be this way . Only thing that is not necessary is to bring down MinHo character in epi14 . JDY has a likeable face ,  its unfortunate that writer change the end game half way.  So , thats why everything is on writer n PD'shands. I believed they sure discussed a lot and make final decision to firm on yeline , not only due to the viewer prefer YEline ship . Maybe they also surprised that Yeline become preferred line while during the broadcasting .. hhaha.. Anyway , i am still enjoy watching this .. if MH is the end game ..i don't know how would it be . may be a lot of ppl suffered from second lead syndrome again.

To me, I always think that Dr Ye is the 1st lead as Lee Jun Hyuk (LJH) is a far more experienced actor with more credentials.  I watch this drama because of LJH and I am surprised with the article that writer said inititally 80% of end game is with SMH rather than Dr Ye. Is the writer saying that to console MH and his supporters? I thought the story flows quite smoothly with the development of Yeline. JDY is quite good in his performance as MH. but seriously, BY looks more compatible with Dr Ye rather than MH who has a baby face. The only complain I have is the writer spent too much time on the sub-plots and too little time on Dr Ye's character and background.  Dr Ye does not have much screentime in the first 4 episodes but luckily LJH managed to bring out the best of Dr Ye which made so many people fell for Yeline within the limited time. I have to applaud LJH on his potrayal of Dr Ye. I find that it is not easy to memerise those technical terms when he is giving demonstrations and lectures.  I am really happy with the finale of BY and Dr Ye ended together!  I agree that the writer should not have say he bring down MH's charactor and made him pathetic so that Dr Ye shine more. Dr Ye has enough charisma to shine by himself as an individual, no need to bring another character down to make him stand out.  Even if MH acted and behave in a better way, BY would not have change her mind as she has fallen hard for Dr Ye.  Writer nim shld have made MH grow in that sense and not being childish.  It's funny that some people still thinks that Dr Ye is the 2nd lead who got the girl in the end as if you see the drama poster, Dr Ye's face always come out 1st. :)  

1 hour ago, Jisungfan said:

To me, I always think that Dr Ye is the 1st lead as Lee Jun Hyuk (LJH) is a far more experienced actor with more credentials.  I watch this drama because of LJH and I am surprised with the article that writer said inititally 80% of end game is with SMH rather than Dr Ye. Is the writer saying that to console MH and his supporters? I thought the story flows quite smoothly with the development of Yeline. JDY is quite good in his performance as MH. but seriously, BY looks more compatible with Dr Ye rather than MH who has a baby face. The only complain I have is the writer spent too much time on the sub-plots and too little time on Dr Ye's character and background.  Dr Ye does not have much screentime in the first 4 episodes but luckily LJH managed to bring out the best of Dr Ye which made so many people fell for Yeline within the limited time. I have to applaud LJH on his potrayal of Dr Ye. I find that it is not easy to memerise those technical terms when he is giving demonstrations and lectures.  I am really happy with the finale of BY and Dr Ye ended together!  I agree that the writer should not have say he bring down MH's charactor and made him pathetic so that Dr Ye shine more. Dr Ye has enough charisma to shine by himself as an individual, no need to bring another character down to make him stand out.  Even if MH acted and behave in a better way, BY would not have change her mind as she has fallen hard for Dr Ye.  Writer nim shld have made MH grow in that sense and not being childish.  It's funny that some people still thinks that Dr Ye is the 2nd lead who got the girl in the end as if you see the drama poster, Dr Ye's face always come out 1st. :)  

Yes ,  Dr Ye himself charisma already  shine more than others.  Come to think of it , with little screen time but won ppl's heart within 4 episode  is not easy , that means LJH really have good acting skill and know how to capture audience with the acting especially the eye.  I also think that the flow is quite smooth and the story line is very logical .. so i don't understand that how come writer give that statement.

32635553_181572912668858_679158600510839

32212466_2529029810655575_69799661869937

After watching this drama I'm totally disappointed not only because teamMinho. 

But seriously this drama is one of worst drama I had ever seen. Best Casting and highlighted drama theme doesn't make best drama. THIS drama can not be called as best or not even good or simple story.

The writer create the whole mess. Writer have nothing new and repeating past .

There are not only few but so many similarities between two scripts.  Hurting and highlighting of second lead , even the accident scene  (both  min Ho and gong myung had accident ) and outing etc. Just by adding medical theme writer rewriting the drinking solo characters (but drinking solo was still much better than this) - Atleast No confusion and no negative shading of character purposely. 

31758453_278156132726160_913822247196557

It's not the matter of who's first and second lead. But it's all about injustice happened with Jang Dong-yoon as Min Ho. Before this interview I'm not that much upset but now I'm more upset at highest level thinking about what happened to him was purposely done.

As for drama poster Lee joon hyuk  (as Dr  ye) First on the position and Jang Dong-yoon in middle and Lee yoobi last. But Lee yoo bi was the main Character all over the above, drama based on her You who forgot poetry -An aspiring poet must make a tough choice between her dreams and making ends meet, but just because she's put down her pen doesn't mean the words won't find their way back to her.

SO she was main lead among the all leads and having third or last position in Poster. 

So how can we judge priority from first and last position to consider main lead..?

I started watching this mainly because of Lee Joon Hyuk (and I had time to throw around) whom I really liked in Stranger/Secret Forest. (The character was a bit of a weasel but the actor undoubtedly did well with it) Wow... talk about a complete 180 degree transformation. I don't think I will ever hear the words "May I give you some advice?" the same way again.

While I like the lead character, WBY, I have to say the other people in the physio department are rather unlikeable... all these K drama caricatures wandering around in the workplace (even purely for humour) just seems completely out of place and unprofessional. And the Min Ho character, whom I'm guessing is meant to be a future suitor is the quintessential man-child jerk. It's like he's taken a leaf out of Hana Yori Dango's Domyoji's playbook. Yeeech... He's changing a little but I dunno... he is very hard to stomach. And his buddy Nam Woo... yeah... all these individuals seem to have been stuck in puberty.

Anyway, I might jump around and see how I feel later to see if I will continue with this.

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I started watching this mainly because of Lee Joon Hyuk (and I had time to throw around) whom I really liked in Stranger/Secret Forest. (The character was a bit of a weasel but the actor undoubtedly did well with it) Wow... talk about a complete 180 degree transformation. I don't think I will ever hear the words "May I give you some advice?" the same way again.

While I like the lead character, WBY, I have to say the other people in the physio department are rather unlikeable... all these K drama caricatures wandering around in the workplace (even purely for humour) just seems completely out of place and unprofessional. And the Min Ho character, whom I'm guessing is meant to be a future suitor is the quintessential man-child jerk. It's like he's taken a leaf out of Hana Yori Dango's Domyoji's playbook. Yeeech... He's changing a little but I dunno... he is very hard to stomach. And his buddy Nam Woo... yeah... all these individuals seem to have been stuck in puberty.

Anyway, I might jump around and see how I feel later to see if I will continue with this.

I almost dropped this drama after a couple of episodes but Lee Joon Hyuk’s Dr Ye saved the day for me. If I wasn’t a fan of LJH before this , I am now. I really could not recognise him here as his character & even physical appearance compared to his role in Secret Forest was like day & night. So kudos to him for his versatility.

Initially, I did have a slight disconnect with the other characters but over the course of the episodes they grew on me . And by the end of the drama it became a personal favourite. I hope you will enjoy the ride .

@triplem It does get better thankfully and I will persevere because of the leads. Since I read that LJH's character and the female lead are the endgame, that alone will make the whole thing more bearable and worthwhile pursuing. I don't mind watching something a bit lighter until Life on Mars comes on. 

Thanks for the post.

To each their own I suppose. 

I on the other hand ended up liking Minho's character better despite more people rooting for Dr. Ye. Minho's character is not perfect, in fact to me he's got a lot of room to improve (and I would have loved to see his growth had they stuck with that story). Dr Ye character on the other hand has this wholesome, well put up image but boring and flat to "my" liking. What major improvement he had regarding his standoffish attitude was very awkward to watch and not cute at all (i'm sorry again that's just me).

If the story is indeed switched to give Dr Ye the end story then that somehow justified why they made Minho's character unlikable in the last few episodes. Sure it is not alright for him to shove the car door at BY but they more than likely set that up to make Dr. Ye's character shine (sorry Minho they downgraded you :(). They obviously had to set their grand stage for Dr. Ye, so to speak. And I also feel that by doing that they somehow diminished the depth of the story to the point where the title does not even find its way into the story anymore "You who forgot poetry?"  (story depth vs mushy love story between Dr Ye & BY :huh:). 

In the end LJH must have made a big impact for them to make all the changes midway. He is a charismatic guy after all. But for me the story started off promising  then gradually spiraled downward in the end (I guess I am like the ratings they were not able to save :ph34r:)  

9 hours ago, RPM said:

After watching this drama I'm totally disappointed not only because teamMinho. 

But seriously this drama is one of worst drama I had ever seen. Best Casting and highlighted drama theme doesn't make best drama. THIS drama can not be called as best or not even good or simple story.

The writer create the whole mess. Writer have nothing new and repeating past .

There are not only few but so many similarities between two scripts.  Hurting and highlighting of second lead , even the accident scene  (both  min Ho and gong myung had accident ) and outing etc. Just by adding medical theme writer rewriting the drinking solo characters (but drinking solo was still much better than this) - Atleast No confusion and no negative shading of character purposely. 

's not the matter of who's first and second lead. But it's all about injustice happened with Jang Dong-yoon as Min Ho. Before this interview I'm not that much upset but now I'm more upset at highest level thinking about what happened to him was purposely done.

As for drama poster Lee joon hyuk  (as Dr  ye) First on the position and Jang Dong-yoon in middle and Lee yoobi last. But Lee yoo bi was the main Character all over the above, drama based on her You who forgot poetry -An aspiring poet must make a tough choice between her dreams and making ends meet, but just because she's put down her pen doesn't mean the words won't find their way back to her.

SO she was main lead among the all leads and having third or last position in Poster. 

So how can we judge priority from first and last position to consider main lead..?

I’ve watched both drinking solo and APAD and I do agree with you that there were a lot of similarities between both dramas and it was sometimes disturbing. 

This writer basically rewrites some of drinking solo scenes, enhances them a bit and put them in APAD. The only difference was those scenes were potrayed by totally different characters. And this is the reason why I feel that this writer is not that great writer since she lacks ideas, she failed to make all audiences root for her main OTP, she didn’t give proper justice for all her characters and her story lack some depths. However, I must admit that she wasn’t that bad, she got potentials in her writing but she is still far from being a great writer. 

30078476_2018975528359055_88715604766815

30867934_574218409624630_874257552208664

We were meant to be together but writer tear us apart 

31978307_2075139619435083_65405204663002

I don't know

When did you start living in my heart?

I don't know

The reason my heart flutters when I see you

You can pass me by because you

Forgot about me

Because until you remember I will

Wait for you

My love, look at me

Do you still love me? My love, look at my eyes and tell me

A heart full of love can’t be hidden

Don’t ever forget the truth that I was

By your side

Don’t erase my heart that could sacrifice

Everything for you

@boradori90 I think that's why gong myung decline the offer. It was same as his previous role.

1 hour ago, arcticmom said:

To each their own I suppose. 

I on the other hand ended up liking Minho's character better despite more people rooting for Dr. Ye. Minho's character is not perfect, in fact to me he's got a lot of room to improve (and I would have loved to see his growth had they stuck with that story). Dr Ye character on the other hand has this wholesome, well put up image but boring and flat to "my" liking. What major improvement he had regarding his standoffish attitude was very awkward to watch and not cute at all (i'm sorry again that's just me).

If the story is indeed switched to give Dr Ye the end story then that somehow justified why they made Minho's character unlikable in the last few episodes. Sure it is not alright for him to shove the car door at BY but they more than likely set that up to make Dr. Ye's character shine (sorry Minho they downgraded you :(). They obviously had to set their grand stage for Dr. Ye, so to speak. And I also feel that by doing that they somehow diminished the depth of the story to the point where the title does not even find its way into the story anymore "You who forgot poetry?"  (story depth vs mushy love story between Dr Ye & BY :huh:). 

In the end LJH must have made a big impact for them to make all the changes midway. He is a charismatic guy after all. But for me the story started off promising  then gradually spiraled downward in the end (I guess I am like the ratings they were not able to save :ph34r:)  

I agree 100% with all the things that you said because I felt the same way. People are saying we like minho because of the actor who portrayed the character but I could tell them confidently that this is not the case. If I judge based on the looks, lee joon hyuk is better than jdy in terms of handsome look. He is charming and manly while jang dong yoon is more to cute type, adorable baby face look. However, I like minho because of how the writer wrote the story for the first 10episodes. She made me root for minho and boyoung. I can relate to minho, he was the most realistic person among all the main characters in the drama. We knew everything about him, we knew his flaws, we knew his charms, we knew all about him. 

Meanwhile, I was so disconnected with dr ye throughout the whole drama (I’m sorry for all yeliners but this is how I feel). Lee joon hyuk may be charming in real life, but not in here. And I hate when the writer wrote his character as perfect, flawless guy while minho was potrayed as a jerk and richard simmons towards the end of the drama because this was so different than the initial episodes. Minho is not a jerk, he never was. We saw how he treated boyoung before the rejection (when they were in group discussion, etc).. he was a good guy. Something happened that made him rejected her cruelly and now because of the changes in direction of the writing, we will never know why. 

I dislike a drama when this writer fails to make me root for the main OTP because I have no problem to do so in other dramas. I somehow stuggled with second lead syndromes in other dramas (strongest deliveryman, go back couple) but in the end managed to like the main OTP because the writer made me root for them. Sadly not in here. 

If I weren't watching this drama and all I knew regarding this drama were the comments that I had read on the web, I would think that this drama was entirely about the romance and the love triangle. :D Obviously the romance plays a key part... but there's really so much more to the show than who ends up with whom. (So says the ahjumma who's supposedly rooting for the older, more mature guy :tongue: )

It is after all a medical drama and a lot of the good stuff (or most of the good stuff) comes from the actual occupational interactions with patients and colleagues. I think it's very unfortunate that the drama begins with so much silliness because once it tones down the slapstick and gets to the nitty gritty, it feels a lot less contrived and it even has some interesting things to say about physiotherapy and life in general. 

What I think is refreshing about the drama though is that the show doesn't follow the Boys Over Flowers trope of the girl falling for the reforming but largely immature bad boy. In this instance he doesn't get a second bite at the apple because some times or actually most times... people actually move on with their lives and not dwell on "what-might-have-been". The central character moves away from her schoolgirl idealism as she wrestles with the reality of injury and pain... the fragility of human existence on a daily basis as she comes in contact with the physically vulnerable.

As someone who occasionally dabbles with poetry, I particularly appreciate how poetry is used here. Words, whether in metre or prose, can be a powerful force for connecting, self-expression and healing. Bo Young due to family circumstances had to abandon her desire to study the humanities but thankfully never abandoned her love for poetry. I love that poetry is used not just as a mirror for life's foibles but as a transformative agent.

(Oh and I just found out that LJH was the prosecutor I liked so much in City Hunter. More than I liked LMH actually :D )

Archived