[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Meteor Garden 流星花園

kokodus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What in the world this show is doing to me??? Who in the hell invented that freaking hotpot?? I'm going to kill that person. Seriously why is this soooo painful. Why am I crying this much??? Who opened the dam here??? Lei you shouldn't have let Shan Cai get down that car, see what mess she created now. I can't handle, I'm not taking any of this. Si, how can you give up so easily?? That's not you. Perseverance is your best quality, how can you let your mom puppet you around??? Also aren't you a finance expert or something??? Instead of brooding in your room all day, why can't you just go and sort out the problem yourself so that you needn't sacrifice your love. Arghhhhhhhhhh

Throughout NF 41 I was ugly crying and if I go to work with panda eyes tomorrow, I blame no one but Si. richard simmons hell, why are you so good man??? If he doesn't get any award for this show, I'm flying to China to protest. That hotpot scene should enter the hall of fame for the most saddest depressing scene ever made in dramaland. At least SC let out her tears, Si was holding it back the whole time, his eyes were so red I can't even.....why don't you just kill me man?? To think that he is only 19 and this is his first acting project....I can't even believe it anymore. He acted that scene with such finesse. Top notch acting. 

Excuse me, while I go and cry in that corner

@kokodus ikr?! That hot pot scene is my all time favourite! I can’t believe how emotionally devastating it was. Even getting one of those crappy forced advert breaks in the middle didn’t stop me from blubbering. 

Shen Yue was brilliant. I thought the way she visibly had to recompose herself after DMS said that he still cared for her, he just didn’t know how best to protect her anymore, was :heartbreak:

Ok I take my words back. That ice cream forehead kiss scene doesn't seem all that scripted. You can see Dylan laughing and looking in the direction of the camera and SY hitting him because he did that out of blue? It so much resembles that scene in Canada where he pushes her and SY lost balance and fell for real. LOL. I really don't want to ship them for real and get myself disappointed later. Sighh. But what can i do when they are being adorable puppies behind the scenes as well. Gahhhhhhhhh

@kokodus You should’ve seen me watching episode 41. I was on the couch, bawling my eyes out. I was broken through and through. I had already seen the RAW version but seeing it on NF with eng subs just pushed me over the edge. Hands down one of the best scenes in drama land. I will never forget it. DS was crying too and when he said that he still cared very much for her but just didn’t know how to protect her anymore... gawd!! My heart ripped wide open and I just bawled like a baby. 

And when he told Ms. Yue to stop selling the Eight Treasure Spicy Noodles and when he said he was eating it for the last time because “tomorrow I will be saying goodbye to this girl”. The whole hot pot conversation was just heartbreaking and also amazing in so many indescribable ways. It will be one of those epic scenes we will always remember. 

Although painful, I want to re-watch it because it’s just so good. 

Ps. I will protest with you if he doesn’t get an award for his performance. So so good. Can’t believe he’s a newbie. 

Okey here is a 40/41 recap of this girl /lowkey crying alone in her room xD/

>first of all the acting in those late episodes is GREAT ! The way si had sush hard time keeping eye contact while sc came to talk to him for the first time at his house in london .. HOLLY richard simmons the angst started since minute one 

how we could feel thathe literaly used all of his strenght to not go and hug her and tell her that he is sorry .. ugh

>i apreciat thomas in this version guys !

we like a conartist turned good friend

>The cinematography in this london art is TOPNOTCH ! That last-date scene in london when « anyone of us » started playing ?HELLA BEAUTIFUL 

>i apreciat all of the little referances to the og meteor garden ( sc mom from the lasy version , hints in this last episode was fun)

>my love for lei is beyond anything by now ! AN  ANGEL ! A PUREHEART ! A TRUE BESTFRIEND ! ( GET YOU A BOY THAT TRAVELS RANDOMELY TO LONDON JUST BCUZ HE WORRIED ABOUT YOU , entertain you after beving sad after your breakup , find you a new place to rest . And invite all of your new friends to dine ! Buy you a flower with his first money ? Ilovehiiimmmm )

>heartbreak n1: sc dreaming of si telling that its just a joke and that he wants them both to comeback to china together ... wakingup crying and realising she makes the same dream again and again ;;

>heartbreak n2 : the hot potscene ... WE DONT TALK ABOUT THAT !IM A MESS !GIVE THEM BOTH AN AWARD ! DONE !

now im ready for the island arc ! My heart is broken and ready to recover , thank you

Random question...The 2018 version is the first version I've watched but now I'm 1/2 through the manga and the original series. Curious if people think it is the character of DMS that is so compelling or Dylan, in particular, as DMS? When I first found the show suggested in Netflix and knowing nothing about it, I really thought this was a story about SC. And, it is to an extent, but I really think a lot of it is DMS's story. He is the more compelling character and to me he show's the most personal growth. But, I don't feel the same about the character when I read the manga or watch the original. Anyone else?

Also, totally unrelated, but do Chinese dramas ever have another season? Is this truly the end or could international popularity cause them to continue the story like popular dramas in the US?

11 minutes ago, bccem99 said:

Random question...The 2018 version is the first version I've watched but now I'm 1/2 through the manga and the original series. Curious if people think it is the character of DMS that is so compelling or Dylan, in particular, as DMS? When I first found the show suggested in Netflix and knowing nothing about it, I really thought this was a story about SC. And, it is to an extent, but I really think a lot of it is DMS's story. He is the more compelling character and to me he show's the most personal growth. But, I don't feel the same about the character when I read the manga or watch the original. Anyone else?

Also, totally unrelated, but do Chinese dramas ever have another season? Is this truly the end or could international popularity cause them to continue the story like popular dramas in the US?

This drama will conclude with a happy ending that spans the entire manga practically so no future season...we can always wait for another country to remake it though. As for Chinese dramas, they usually complete the entire drama in one full season, unless it'll take over 100 episodes to complete a novel adaption are there actually 2 or 3 seasons.

I feel Dylan is just so natural as DMS, because he is practically DMS in real life. He's childish, a little full of himself and has a bit of a temper so I really don't think anyone else could play him better. When the first photo of the new F4 came out months before the official airing, some people thought Caesar would play DMS, because he had the bandana thing going on like DMS in 2001 version, but I saw Dylan's sly smirk and knew it would be him. Shen Yue also said before meeting him, she saw Dylan walk by and knew that was DMS, he has that aura I guess. It's funny how he was discovered on that Chinese audition tv program, but was eliminated on the first round. If it wasn't for one of the judges making him wear a mask as he performed until he won a challenge, I don't even know how successful MG 2018 would have been. When he threw a fit learning that he had to wear a mask, a new DMS was born, guess he was just fated for this role. It took me a while to get used to Shen Yue a SC, but Dylan is such a dead ringer for DMS, I just can't imagine anyone else playing him. I didn't read the manga so someone else could probably give you a better response for that, but I watched 2001 MG and felt Jerry's DMS was a little over the top at times. I was even a bit hesitant to watch this version, but I am so glad that I did and Dylan has completely won me over.

I just want to ask after days of reading about DMS and SC. Are there any Xiaoyu and Ximen scenes at all? After they went up to the rooftop? I read so many spoilers here there is no incentive/ rush to watch anything. I am just going to wait till next week and go to the end.

This whole slow NF release vs thd raw episodes schedule is so irritating. It is like the Legend of Fuyao. I don't see how anyone can watch any Cdrama and avoid spoilers. Luckily the conversation here is much simpler than Fuyao so I can watch the raw episodes. But the quality is so low. And the male lead needs to be watched on HD.

17 minutes ago, rocky689 said:

This drama will conclude with a happy ending that spans the entire manga practically so no future season...we can always wait for another country to remake it though. As for Chinese dramas, they usually complete the entire drama in one full season, unless it'll take over 100 episodes to complete a novel adaption are there actually 2 or 3 seasons.

I feel Dylan is just so natural as DMS, because he is practically DMS in real life. He's childish, a little full of himself and has a bit of a temper so I really don't think anyone else could play him better. When the first photo of the new F4 came out months before the official airing, some people thought Caesar would play DMS, because he had the bandana thing going on like DMS in 2001 version, but I saw Dylan's sly smirk and knew it would be him. Shen Yue also said before meeting him, she saw Dylan walk by and knew that was DMS, he has that aura I guess. It's funny how he was discovered on that Chinese audition tv program, but was eliminated on the first round. If it wasn't for one of the judges making him wear a mask as he performed until he won a challenge, I don't even know how successful MG 2018 would have been. When he threw a fit learning that he had to wear a mask, a new DMS was born, guess he was just fated for this role. It took me a while to get used to Shen Yue a SC, but Dylan is such a dead ringer for DMS, I just can't imagine anyone else playing him. I didn't read the manga so someone else could probably give you a better response for that, but I watched 2001 MG and felt Jerry's DMS was a little over the top at times. I was even a bit hesitant to watch this version, but I am so glad that I did and Dylan has completely won me over.

@rocky689 Totally agree. As I've said before, Dylan is the best DS for me. Although a lot of people rave about the J version, I wasn't crazy about the actor who played DS (sorry!). When I first saw the photos of the new F4, I thought they were cast perfectly (just judging by looks alone) and thought Dylan was how I would imagine DS looking in real life. 

I have to say I've been impressed with the cast and I'm so happy with Dylan's portrayal of DS. 

44 minutes ago, bccem99 said:

I agree with you that DS is shining more than SC in MG2018. In the manga, I connected a lot more with the Makino character and Tsukasa a bit less. I really really really loved her despite her faults. Dylan's portrayal probably does play a large part in why 2018 DS is so likeable, but I think it's also just how the characters were written this time around. He's a lot nicer now. I still love SY's Shancai, but I find myself more annoyed at her character this time around than ever before.

23 minutes ago, mouse007 said:

@rocky689 Totally agree. As I've said before, Dylan is the best DS for me. Although a lot of people rave about the J version, I wasn't crazy about the actor who played DS (sorry!). When I first saw the photos of the new F4, I thought they were cast perfectly (just judging by looks alone) and thought Dylan was how I would imagine DS looking in real life. 

I have to say I've been impressed with the cast and I'm so happy with Dylan's portrayal of DS. 

me three guys ! 

dylan made sush a great DS ! ( i mean even the mangaka of the original said so ) 

they did an mazing work with his fashion/hairstyles too ! as alot of people here already posted side to side pictures from him and the manga ! 

its so cool how close he is to the original manga art ( the hight , the fashion , the aura , the personality too)

i do love matsumoto jun as domiyoji tsukasa ... he is amazing and would always have aspecial place in my heart ( was kinda my very first jap drama) 

but damn dylan ... you're a number one from this year on ! 

Spoiler

im still so hyped about how he would do as a hubby ..

weve already had a proposal spoilers ! and some possible happy ending visuals ! 

i cant wait ! but at the same time i dont want it to end 

ending in a week ,,,,,,, sush a bittersweet feeling

--------------------------------------

also i hope we are not getting robbed on this sweet kiss too ? (they already took one down e_e)

i mean the london arc is done right ? or maybe its a dream too ? or they will comeback for their honemoon *-*

4 minutes ago, rimjayc said:

me three guys ! 

dylan made sush a great DS ! ( i mean even the mangaka of the original said so ) 

they did an mazing work with his fashion/hairstyles too ! as alot of people here already posted side to side pictures from him and the manga ! 

its so cool how close he is to the original manga art ( the hight , the fashion , the aura , the personality too)

i do love matsumoto jun as domiyoji tsukasa ... he is amazing and would always have aspecial place in my heart ( was kinda my very first jap drama) 

but damn dylan ... you're a number one from this year on ! 

Hide contents

im still so hyped about how he would do as a hubby ..

weve already had a proposal spoilers ! and some possible happy ending visuals ! 

i cant wait ! but at the same time i dont want it to end 

ending in a week ,,,,,,, sush a bittersweet feeling

--------------------------------------

also i hope we are not getting robbed on this sweet kiss too ? (they already took one down e_e)

i mean the london arc is done right ? or maybe its a dream too ? or they will comeback for their honemoon *-*

@rimjayc I hope it's not a dream scene! No more dream scenes please! Let all happy, sweet and fluffy scenes be real and let there be many! 

DlKbGTOWwAAmEos.jpghqdefault.jpghqdefault.jpg

Episode 41 to me holds maybe the best acting scenes I have seen thus far this year. 

I don't think it's even possible to express everything I felt or the emotions that these two amazing young people completely wrapped my heart in while watching them.  In fact I don't think I have ever felt so drawn into a scene that I just wanted the hurt to stop...

What makes it so unbelievable is the fact that I know this story like so many others.  Have seen it many times from other countries and yet today it felt like I was watching something totally brand new and it didn't matter what I knew it only mattered what they made me feel.  As if your heart would break while watching theirs slowly being tortured that you felt as if yours was breaking too.  As if you wanted their words to stop, the laughing that was crying and the smiling that was hurting...

The hotpot that was suppose to bring happiness and warmth that feeling of closeness.  Instead brought tears and emptiness as if their hopes and dreams were being turned into steam right before their very eyes becoming invisible and no way or power to hold them back...

No way to protect the love they shared and knew couldn't be denied.

No matter what words had been spoken no matter what made up lies.

No matter the anger or the brokenness. Or fear of the emptiness creeping it's way inside.

In trying to coverup all they were feeling, because keeping a promise and sharing this moment.

Meant giving each other all they had digging deep and understanding the courage and effort it takes.

To love someone so very much your last gift and hope is in trying to make it easier for them.

Even when each beat of your heart is screaming silently inside.

I won't surrender you...  I won't surrender you

Not this time...

I agree that DMS in this version is nicer than in the manga. In the manga, I just don't find myself forgiving him for some of the earlier stuff (e.g. having those guys attack her) but for some reason I can get past the  food in the face and forced kiss scenes in MG 2018 even though I found them very shocking the first time I watched it. It's amazing to me the emotion both leads bring to the screen. I don't understand the original language so I know a lot may be lost in translation, but they frequently move me to tears. And, then I remember he is a 19 yr old kid moving me to tears in his first real acting job. He's either got a great career ahead of him or he is always going to be in the shadow of this role because his DMS has epic romantic hero quality. Part of me would love to see an American version of this story because I love the story. But, part of me doesn't because I feel like they've done such a wonderful job with this cast. Plus the morality is totally different here. The characters would not be so platonic so long. 

Archived